6.8

1. Aug 2, 2013
    The devs promised a patch to fix the performance... 1.0.1 was patched to remove the developer debug commands (yes) and getting LAN (a selling point, according to them) to actually work. This is what we get for forking out our money. Now they are saying it might be another 5 weeks to patch it in. Sorry, but I'm not going to waste my time with your piss poor game. Don't lie to us and tell usThe devs promised a patch to fix the performance... 1.0.1 was patched to remove the developer debug commands (yes) and getting LAN (a selling point, according to them) to actually work. This is what we get for forking out our money. Now they are saying it might be another 5 weeks to patch it in. Sorry, but I'm not going to waste my time with your piss poor game. Don't lie to us and tell us the game runs 120fps, dont lie and say you can make your own weapons, don't lie and say weapon fov can be adjusted, don't lie and say your first patch will fix our major problems, when all you did was remove the debug commands. I mean REALLY? they claimed to be optimising the game and polishing it for months, this is the result of all their hard work? Boy, I can't wait to see what they have left in store! /sarcasm Even one of the developers commented on forum 'WE'RE SORRY GUYS, WE THOUGHT YOU WOULD LOVE IT!" meaning this is their best work. Nope, cash grab, cash grab, cash grab. You have my money, you're probably laughing, but I hope you choke on it, because I'm never buying one of your games ever again. Even if it's free, I don't want your stinking trash on my computer. Game died in 1 day, not even 500 people playing compared to 2000 on day one. R.I.P. ROTT IN PIECES. OH THE PUNS Expand
  2. Jul 31, 2013
    Launch day Video issues are a common thing now a days...My 6990 has a few problems getting 60...But turning off a few things and it works great. This Game is nuts! AND the first game i think since 2002 to have DIRECT IP CONNECTION FOR MP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AWESOME. WHen you log in (Gog and steam MP servers for all) It says welcome to the master race!
  3. Aug 1, 2013
    This game is just...ugh. I thought it was going to be awesome and its really not. Online has serious clipping and pathing issues and you get caught on every other thing on the ground. When you reload your pistol you cannot fire anymore until you die, and there are some serious texture issues. The single player feels thrown together and I really am curious if they actually had people testThis game is just...ugh. I thought it was going to be awesome and its really not. Online has serious clipping and pathing issues and you get caught on every other thing on the ground. When you reload your pistol you cannot fire anymore until you die, and there are some serious texture issues. The single player feels thrown together and I really am curious if they actually had people test this game or if they just threw it out the door. In the first level alone I got caught in terrain/walls and had to blow myself up to get out. This isn't acceptable anymore, and just because we are going for a retro remake doesn't mean the same sort of bugs and lack of polish are acceptable. Expand
  4. Aug 1, 2013
    People giving this game a 10/10 are either paid stooges or out of their minds. This game has so many faults it would take all day to list. The controls are sloppy, the graphics are outdated by a decade, the levels are small and uninspired, the movement speed is absurd, the auto-save is broken, the A.I. is stupid, and those are just the things that are working as intended. There are also aPeople giving this game a 10/10 are either paid stooges or out of their minds. This game has so many faults it would take all day to list. The controls are sloppy, the graphics are outdated by a decade, the levels are small and uninspired, the movement speed is absurd, the auto-save is broken, the A.I. is stupid, and those are just the things that are working as intended. There are also a multitude of bugs causing graphic glitches, clipping, frame rate drops, and downright crashes. Yes, it is a bargain bin $15 title, but that is no excuse for releasing a piece of software that clearly still belongs in alpha testing. I gave this 2/10 only out of nostalgia, and it's a shame because this classic franchise deserved a better developer. Expand
  5. Aug 2, 2013
    So, where to start... How about with the FPS issues?
    So, where to start... How about with the FPS issues?
    Unreal Engine 3 is a very powerful engine, however it does have its issues. Rise of the Triads has had it rough when it comes to optermiseations from both an effects and level design stand point. Many of the weapons have very resource expensive effects that are guaranteed to bring even the most powerful of systems to its knees. I suppose what makes this even worse is the simple fact that the majorty of weapon effects do not even look that impressive... When it comes to level design the mass overuse of high tri static meshes is unforgivable and really seems to point to inexperiance as the main culprit to this games optimisation issues...

Its the simple things, like opting to have a bridge made out of 100+ resource expensive "Gravity Pads" rather then opting for a simple 12 tri block that could do the exact same job... Please do not take my comments out of context. Like most other people I believe that sometimes graphical improvements are worth the cost of a few frames... However in this circumstance having 12 Tri and 1 collision box replaced by 100,000 Tri bridges with 100s of colision boxes is simply not excusable in a game where even the developers in early press releases and interviews claim the game should be "120 frames or bust.."

When it comes down to the MP balance... Wow... This could take a while...
    Rise of the Triad was designed to be more of a HD Remake of an oldschool arena shooter then a modenisation. I totally understand that but you cannot upgrade certain aspects and expect the game to feel the same. A good example is the Hit Scan weapons. Even ignoring the poor Unreal Engine Netcode and just focusing on the pure basics we will notice a huge difference. By changing the way projectiles are traced in 3d space and increasing the resolution we now have bullets the size of pin pricks. When compared to the 1994 original where you had bullets the size of cannon balls and less objects in the level to obstruct movement and aiming. The result is a feeling that is very much different from the original that was the goal.

One of the biggest issues with the Multiplayer is not actually the developers fault... Well it kinda is for using the engine in the first place... The Unreal Engine 3 has many issues when it comes to its base Netcode, Optimisation and Input. The lack of native demo recording, first person spectator and many other small issues are going to prevent this game from being the game we all wish it was... Personally I have no idea why the developers would have used UE3 with a game that is supposed to be this fast pace without making huge changes to the core systems. This game would be much better suited to Source or even the old school engines from Quake and CoD. Its a shame because as someone that also maps and mods useing the unreal engine I just wish the current build was better. Hopefully UE4 will make some vast improvements but as it stands this was the time bomb that was always going to limit the potential for Rise of the Triads.

Finally on the side of the multiplayer... Overall balance is off... Full hp Full fire armour, no problem just hit them with one of many explosives that will still blow their socks off. I was hoping for a skill based experiance but it turns out due to STUPID choices by the developers the game just ends up being a clunky spam fest filled with childish humor and poor movement.

I could continue... But this is getting very long and even though I do not want to...
  6. Aug 2, 2013
    I don't right reviews often, but games like this ROTT remake really piss me off. Especially when I see dozens of 10/10 and 9/10 reviews. It smells funny. First let me just say that I grew up original ROTT as well as many other oldschool FPS (wolfenstein, doom, doom 2, quake) so I get what they were going for. I gave the game 4 not a 0, virtually no game deserves a 0. The gore is prettyI don't right reviews often, but games like this ROTT remake really piss me off. Especially when I see dozens of 10/10 and 9/10 reviews. It smells funny. First let me just say that I grew up original ROTT as well as many other oldschool FPS (wolfenstein, doom, doom 2, quake) so I get what they were going for. I gave the game 4 not a 0, virtually no game deserves a 0. The gore is pretty entertaining and levels have lots of secrets which is nice. However, the game, as it stands, is unplayable. You constantly get caught on the map in both singleplayer and multipalyer, lots of clipping, just downright poor graphics (dont gimme that oldschool crap, it can still look polished, I mean honestly the game is UGLY). Also, it crashes constantly, at least for me (others report this as well) and stutters, skips and lags (do you really have to ask? I'm a gamer writing reviews on metacritic, of course I have a kickass rig). The game feels lazy, like it was thrown together by a bunch of stoners who may have had a few good ideas but were too unmotivated to put the time or work into the game. I'd say this was just a cash grab for people of my generation who had fond memories of the shocking brutality of the first game. Expand
  7. Jul 31, 2013
    Okay, so, this game is a must get.

For 15 bucks, it's more than worth its value. There's secrets on every level, an amazing comic book intro, fun boss fights, and a kick-ass arsenal of weaponry. This is truly a FPS we've been waiting for, and personally one of the better games of 2013. With such a low price, how the bloody hell could you refuse this ludicrous, bloody game? It runs
    Okay, so, this game is a must get.

It runs very smoothly on machines, and it well optimized. It can run on lower hardware, but can still look stunning graphically.

The game-play is amazing. Classic FPS at its best. I felt like I was playing Quake or Doom once again.

But sadly this game DOES come with some bugs Rocket-jumping at certain areas will make you fall out of the map and die but I am sure it will e patched later on. Its usually not buggy or game breaking.

Overall, this game is great. Pick it up or be ashamed. Do NOT pirate this masterpiece of a game. The developers more than deserve the money Plus its only 15 bucks! Interceptor Entertainment has proven they are worthy of being in the game industry.

This game WILL bury you in a lunch box.
  8. Jul 31, 2013
    Makes me feel like a little kid again, when I played Wolf3D, Blake Stone, ROTT and DooM. :)
    Ofcourse this game isn't perfect, and it's likely the CoD generation doesn't like it.
    But for oldschool shooter lovers, I can highly recommend it. Especially seeing it's low pricepoint.
  9. Aug 4, 2013
    Runs poorly on a computer that can run Black Ops 2 and Crysis 3 at high settings with no problem? Check. Constant clipping issues? Check. Bugs? Check. Graphics circa 2003 first person shooters? Check. Floaty controls? Check. Please ignore those 10/10 reviews as those people are either insane or have never played a decent fps, this game is BAD. I liked the original game but this feels likeRuns poorly on a computer that can run Black Ops 2 and Crysis 3 at high settings with no problem? Check. Constant clipping issues? Check. Bugs? Check. Graphics circa 2003 first person shooters? Check. Floaty controls? Check. Please ignore those 10/10 reviews as those people are either insane or have never played a decent fps, this game is BAD. I liked the original game but this feels like a cheap attempt at a revival of the franchise. If you are looking to play an fps that will give you that "classic" feel go play "Painkiller" or "Serious Sam" and avoid this.. Expand
  10. Aug 1, 2013
    Oh my god. I never played the original but this game is awesome. In the time of CoD clones this game stands out. Everybody who like shooter should have played it once. Just 14$ better than a Black Ops 2 DLC
  11. Jul 31, 2013
    This game is awesome. On release it has a few bugs and is lacking a few features you'd expect in multiplayer but it's super fast paced, the single player campaign is fun and ridiculous and it's full of nostalgia. Awesome job Interceptor & Apogee.
  12. Aug 1, 2013
    This is one of the most ridiculous games you will ever play, which is why this game is so darn good. If you want to play an FPS present day graphics and old school gameplay, Rise of the Triad is the game for you. There's not many games that bring this much joy to a gamer like me. This one, however, manages to make me smile as soon as I start playing. In addition, it's dirt cheap, soThis is one of the most ridiculous games you will ever play, which is why this game is so darn good. If you want to play an FPS present day graphics and old school gameplay, Rise of the Triad is the game for you. There's not many games that bring this much joy to a gamer like me. This one, however, manages to make me smile as soon as I start playing. In addition, it's dirt cheap, so there's no need to even think about it just buy it! I hope this game one day goes to other platforms so that other folks can experience this masterpiece for the master race. Expand
  13. Jul 31, 2013
    Truly an Ode to old school shooting. If you were looking for a more complicated game then your out of luck. With almost no bugs to speak of and a very cheap price, Rise of the Triad will bring you hours of fun and numerous challenges. While some may find the difficulty deterring, the truly hardcore gamer will love what makes this game hard. With a level creator and tons of future mods,Truly an Ode to old school shooting. If you were looking for a more complicated game then your out of luck. With almost no bugs to speak of and a very cheap price, Rise of the Triad will bring you hours of fun and numerous challenges. While some may find the difficulty deterring, the truly hardcore gamer will love what makes this game hard. With a level creator and tons of future mods, this game will go far. Good job Interceptor, you've stayed to the roots and made a great debut. Expand
  14. Jul 31, 2013
    Going to visit my dad every year for the holidays ROTT was the game I would play on my dads old Win 95 PC Now here we are in 2013 and they have brought back that same feeling I had back then only in HD All I have to say is for 15$ this is a great game
  15. Aug 1, 2013
    This is an amazing game. And I have to specify the fact that this is a VIDEO GAME. Not some "interactive movie" that you spend 50 bucks on, not a "cinematic experience" with scripted events and quicktime events every 30 seconds, THIS IS A GAME!
    You actually feel like playing levels. There's a ton of secrets and short cuts, there's collectibles like coins, there's all sorts of crazy weapons. Not only that, but it's actually a fair challenge. And it actually has some replayability unlike today's "movie games".
    What's great about this game is that although this is a remake, it features updated shooter mechanics which make this game actually play differently. The Unreal Engine also makes this game look better than most triple A games now a days. And all of that for 15 bucks. Not to mention that there's also multiplayer.

There's still some bugs and glitches here and there but for the price you're paying, you're getting more than a complete package. If you want to actually have a fun time while playing a game, pick this one up immediately.
  16. Aug 1, 2013
    (SINGLEPLAYER REVIEW)

THE GOOD: Very, very challenging. Oldschool level design including keycard hunts and deadly obstacles. Super fast movement speed. No regenerating health. Unlimited ammo, no reloading required (just like in the original). Collectables and hidden areas. Gore galore. Awesome remakes of old songs, including the ability to listen to the classic versions. Tons
    (SINGLEPLAYER REVIEW)

THE GOOD:
    Very, very challenging. Oldschool level design including keycard hunts and deadly obstacles. Super fast movement speed. No regenerating health. Unlimited ammo, no reloading required (just like in the original). Collectables and hidden areas. Gore galore. Awesome remakes of old songs, including the ability to listen to the classic versions. Tons of graphics options.

THE BAD:
    No manual saving. Poor A.I. that doesn't always react to your presence. Small enemies that blend in too well with the environments. Widespread performance issues (frame rate drops and stuttering). Mouse smoothing that can't be disabled through the menus (plus when it's disabled via config edits, the movement still doesn't feel quite right).

OVERALL:
    A fun game that stays true to the original in many ways but also lacks polish. It's fast, furious, and challenging, but makes one wonder just how great it could have been had the developers spent more time optimizing the performance and kept a classic "save anywhere, anytime" system. Thankfully, for $15 it isn't much of a gamble and if you're a fan of shooters from the "good old days," go for it. Just expect your moments of glee to occasionally be interrupted by those of disappointment or thoughts of "what could have been."
  17. Aug 8, 2013
    ROTT is a mixed bag. It's fast. It's frantic. It's fun. At first. Then you start dying a lot. In the beginning you'll experience wanting to play "just one more section", but an hour or two later you'll start hating it. Why? One reason, it's really crappy game saving system. No F5, no F9, only automatic save checkpoints which are torturously far apart. So, you'll be replaying the sameROTT is a mixed bag. It's fast. It's frantic. It's fun. At first. Then you start dying a lot. In the beginning you'll experience wanting to play "just one more section", but an hour or two later you'll start hating it. Why? One reason, it's really crappy game saving system. No F5, no F9, only automatic save checkpoints which are torturously far apart. So, you'll be replaying the same levels and sections again and again. And again. Finding the same secrets, same enemies, same puzzles, same coins over and over again. That isn't fun, it's frustrating and the lack of being able to save your game spoils what could otherwise be a fun game. You have been warned. Expand
  18. Jul 31, 2013
    Interceptor Software was given the go ahead by Apogee to bring their 1990's cult FPS classic, Rise of the Triad, back onto the scene with a new Unreal Engine based re-imagining. Released today via Steam, RoTT is as ludicrous as ever, but it's not without several caveats and it remains an acquired taste...kind of like Monk Meal.

In pretty much every way that matters, this reboot/remake

In pretty much every way that matters, this reboot/remake is a 90s shooter with all the expected pros and cons. It’s lightning fast, and 90% of your arsenal is pinpoint-precise. Realism is thrown out the window, so levels are less “brown corridors” and more “big rooms full of spinning blades of death rolling past collectible coins”, or “tiny platforms floating above giant lava rivers”, or “ascent up a pair of physically impossible towers”, or “pedestals containing heavy weapons that rise out of reach when you approach, as secret walls open and enemies attack.” Or all of the above, on the same map.

Before you buy your copy of Rise of the Triad and you should you need to first ask yourself how easily you can live without gradual healing. Or cover mechanics. Or auto-aim. Or a HUD. If these things are to your FPS enjoyment what water is to not dying from thirst, then Rise of the Triad is going to destroy you. As difficult as trying to explain the popularity of Stone Temple Pilots hard. Rise of the Triad requires a lot of patience to complete, and that’s by design. In fact, Interceptor CEO Fred Schreiber said during a multiplayer session that the gaming system he keeps coming back to (besides PC, he was quick to make clear) is the NES, precisely because NES games can be so difficult to complete.

From start to finish, Rise of the Triad is obstinately dedicated to being as difficult as possible. Enemies are pattern-based. In-game interactive elements are difficult to precisely interact with. You have to find health when you get damaged, and you take damage excessively. Checkpoints are absolutely brutal make it to one and you’ll still find yourself grinding through waves of enemies again and again, often making it nearly to the end of a segment, and having to do it all over again when you’re blown up by your own missile.

But it’s hard to dislike Rise of the Triad for this sort of thing, because– no, I take that back. It’s very, very easy to get massively frustrated with Rise of the Triad and quit out of it because of this sort of thing, but the frustrations are somewhat forgiven when you wander into basically anything else. This is a game that makes shooting feel good, and it has enough heavy weaponry and things to shoot with that heavy weaponry that you’re doing stuff that feels good pretty much 90% of the time.

The single player campaign is much like the original game’s (and many shooters from that era) in that it functions largely as a chance to practice for the multiplayer. The plot is simple: A UN special ops team called H.U.N.T. is sent to San Nicholas Island (part of California’s Channel Islands) to investigate a strange cult based there. The team is attacked, their landing craft destroyed, and they must now fight their way through the cult’s labyrinthine fortresses and stop them before they execute their plan to blow up Los Angeles

Multiplayer is a scream. At launch, it has Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch and Capture the Flag modes, and more are promised. Interceptor is providing dedicated servers, but the game also allows LAN, Direct IP and player-hosted games as well. That’s good, because you’ll need to practice with friends a lot before testing your mettle against strangers who will almost certainly destroy you.

If you have played the original ROTT, and were a fan, you will be astounded how “extremely faithful” this reboot really is. While Interceptor has certainly added new elements to the game and created something pretty unique, they do this with so much reverence and respect to the original, you sometimes have to remind yourself you aren’t actually playing the 1993 classic. Every little detail is replicated and recreated here: the hovering discs, the coins, the injured enemies begging for mercy it’s quite incredible how seamlessly Interceptor has merged the old and the new to create what can simply be described as a reboot masterpiece.
    It was a real pleasure to play (replay) Rise of the Triad, and Interceptor deserves every bit of credit they get for rebooting an all-time classic in the FPS genre.
  19. Jul 31, 2013
    As a remake of the spiritual sequel to the grandfather of shooters, I expected to be thrown back with old school style gameplay and level design. It definitely doesn't disappoint with that the levels have a ton of secrets, branching paths, keys for doors halfway across the map, and a lot of gameplay choices that died out since the 90s for example, reloading literally does nothing, andAs a remake of the spiritual sequel to the grandfather of shooters, I expected to be thrown back with old school style gameplay and level design. It definitely doesn't disappoint with that the levels have a ton of secrets, branching paths, keys for doors halfway across the map, and a lot of gameplay choices that died out since the 90s for example, reloading literally does nothing, and was just included for kicks. Ironsights were also thrown in, but outside of singleplayer you'll get destroyed if you use them. Multiplayer is a rocketfest, which can be frustrating at times, but once you learn your way around that's when it gets fun. The devs are the best part of the game, honestly there's lots of jokes thrown in, like the AI telling you to stick with a controller and text-to-speech in multiplayer (John Madden! John Madden!). However, it is a bit buggy on launch day, as I found myself getting stuck in walls a lot in singleplayer. I also can't really see a competitive future. But for what it is and what it tries to be, it's perfect. Expand
  20. Aug 1, 2013
    Rise of the Triad is a revamped, old-style shooter that doesn't try to be like the newer games. It recaptures the feel of old school shooters while adding little features and twists that improve on the old without losing the spirit. It feels more like Wolfenstein and Doom than their own sequels. Keep in mind that it's an arcadish shooter with some tongue-in-cheek humor and over-the-topRise of the Triad is a revamped, old-style shooter that doesn't try to be like the newer games. It recaptures the feel of old school shooters while adding little features and twists that improve on the old without losing the spirit. It feels more like Wolfenstein and Doom than their own sequels. Keep in mind that it's an arcadish shooter with some tongue-in-cheek humor and over-the-top everything, not a serious, realistic one. It plays and displays smoothly. All in all, it's a fun game to add to a shooter lover's collection. Expand
  21. Aug 2, 2013
    WOW this takes me back, to when life was simple and all I had was a PC, me and my brother had intel 286's (WHAT!) and networked to play till he had to go to school and I had to go to work. This is how games should be, not too serious and fun to play, hope they do some of their other titles and what price too. WHAT MORE CAN YOU WANT WOOOHOOO.
  22. Sep 15, 2013
    EDIT: Now that patch 1.1 is out, the game is perfectly playable (although I can't speak for everyone). Make sure to remove your previous .INI file in "...(backslash)Documents(backslash)my games(backslash)Rise Of The Triad" and restart your PC.

Unfortunately, the launch has been a bit rocky with various technical issues (for example, I can't change the graphical settings, music volume is very low and steam integration doesn't work, which means no achievements). So I won't lie and say my experience has been perfectly flawless.
    What is under all the temporary problems is a damn good game that fulfills its goals almost perfectly. This is as good as old-school fps remakes get, really.

You might think that Serious Sam is THE old-school experience to date, but it does not properly feature the level design, gameplay, Enemy AI and etc. that lovers of the old school FPS's are so familiar with. Rise of the Triad does. (I'm not saying Serious Sam sucks, It is indeed awesome)
    This game hasn't even begun to show its promises yet, with level editors and future updates on the horizon.
    The little multiplayer that I have played is really fun, but as of now, I can't say too much about it. It is pretty much what you'd expect. If you're looking for a great multiplayer twitch shooter, look no further.

So in conclusion, It's a great old-school shooter with a fresh coat of painting including satisfying gameplay both in multiplayer and singleplayer that is very worthy for its low price tag. Go get it! (Even if only to hear and see the Apogee logo again)
  23. Aug 4, 2013
    RISE OF THE TRIAD is old school run-and-gun gaming at its best! Thoroughly enjoyed playing this take on the Castle Wolfenstein genre even if it wasn't released under that brand. Highly enjoyable gameplay mixed with great music and updated visuals make this a treat for sure!
  24. Aug 17, 2013
    Terrible game. Bad performance issues, poor English grammar, unmemorable maps, terrible multi-player. Not even worth the $15. Avoid this steaming pile of cow manure. There are better games out there.
  25. Aug 1, 2013
    Fantastic single player action, excellent visuals, heaps of secrets and bonuses to keep you coming back not to mention different character strengths and weaknesses, allowing great replay value and very fast paced multiplayer action reminiscent of quake 3 team arena and with the UDK on the way you can be assured there will be many mods to come. All in all a very old skool 90s gamingFantastic single player action, excellent visuals, heaps of secrets and bonuses to keep you coming back not to mention different character strengths and weaknesses, allowing great replay value and very fast paced multiplayer action reminiscent of quake 3 team arena and with the UDK on the way you can be assured there will be many mods to come. All in all a very old skool 90s gaming experience and for the asking price you will be getting your moneys worth. Expand
  26. Aug 2, 2013
    Capolavoro di giocabilità, frenetico, violento, irriverente!

Bambinetti dalle mani paccioccose sporche di nutella, statene lontani, qui si fa sul serio.
  27. Aug 2, 2013
    Rise of the Triad is a good old-school shooter. When I played it, I felt as if I play in something very old and very cool. I like this levels, I like this stupid enemies, I like this BIG COINS & BIG GUNS.
    Of course, the game is eerily hardcore that only reinforces my interest in it, as opposed to the heap of modern shooters without gameplay.
  28. Aug 3, 2013
    This is probably the most enjoyable FPS game over the past few years for me.The game just straight says the hell to realistic and boring enviroment to places you in the castles which make no sense at all which is
    The true definition of gaming.
  29. Aug 2, 2013
    Where do I even begin with this game? It started off really good and I thought I could get into it, but after a while the problems start surfacing when the platforming decides to require really precise jumping when the game's controls are so damn sensitive. On episode 2 level 4 there is a part where you have to jump into this doorway with a broken floor beneath it. I've tried to jump inWhere do I even begin with this game? It started off really good and I thought I could get into it, but after a while the problems start surfacing when the platforming decides to require really precise jumping when the game's controls are so damn sensitive. On episode 2 level 4 there is a part where you have to jump into this doorway with a broken floor beneath it. I've tried to jump in about 5 times now from different angles and nothing works, I just keep sliding into the lava. To make it even more annoying, you have to do the whole level again up to that point if you're that one pixel off. Still haven't gotten past it and I feel like it's such a waste of my time trying to do this one jump that should be so simple. In most cases during the game so far, about half the time I don't feel like it's my fault for dieing. The vast majority of the weapons are rocket launchers of some sort and all the objects, pillars and railings have hit barriers larger than you would think, so getting damaged by your own weapons happens all the friggin time. Much of the time the damage that traps do to you is extremely inconsistent. One time I got blasted by fire dead on and it only did like 20 damage. Another time I barely touched the edge of the fire and I practically exploded at full health. That's just scratching the surface but when the game decides to stop being unfair, it can be fun. The shooting for the most part is satisfying and the humor at some parts has made me laugh out loud. Expand
  30. Aug 17, 2013
    Game is unplayable and unenjoyable. Multiplayer is a complete waste of time. Level design is insipid and uninspired. Developers appear to be 15 year olds. Save your money.

1. Mar 11, 2014
    Rise of the Triad is a faithful tribute to both the original game and to the FPS games of the nineties in general. Hopefully the technical issues will be patched out soon, though. [Nov 2013]
  2. Oct 31, 2013
    The soundtrack is the only good thing in the new Rise of the Triad.
  3. Sep 11, 2013
    Despite its constant punishment and inherently derivative nature, it stands apart from its modern-day competitors. Its appeal and its absurdity are one and the same.