6.8

1. Aug 2, 2013
    So, where to start... How about with the FPS issues?
    So, where to start... How about with the FPS issues?
    Unreal Engine 3 is a very powerful engine, however it does have its issues. Rise of the Triads has had it rough when it comes to optermiseations from both an effects and level design stand point. Many of the weapons have very resource expensive effects that are guaranteed to bring even the most powerful of systems to its knees. I suppose what makes this even worse is the simple fact that the majorty of weapon effects do not even look that impressive... When it comes to level design the mass overuse of high tri static meshes is unforgivable and really seems to point to inexperiance as the main culprit to this games optimisation issues...

Its the simple things, like opting to have a bridge made out of 100+ resource expensive "Gravity Pads" rather then opting for a simple 12 tri block that could do the exact same job... Please do not take my comments out of context. Like most other people I believe that sometimes graphical improvements are worth the cost of a few frames... However in this circumstance having 12 Tri and 1 collision box replaced by 100,000 Tri bridges with 100s of colision boxes is simply not excusable in a game where even the developers in early press releases and interviews claim the game should be "120 frames or bust.."

When it comes down to the MP balance... Wow... This could take a while...
    Rise of the Triad was designed to be more of a HD Remake of an oldschool arena shooter then a modenisation. I totally understand that but you cannot upgrade certain aspects and expect the game to feel the same. A good example is the Hit Scan weapons. Even ignoring the poor Unreal Engine Netcode and just focusing on the pure basics we will notice a huge difference. By changing the way projectiles are traced in 3d space and increasing the resolution we now have bullets the size of pin pricks. When compared to the 1994 original where you had bullets the size of cannon balls and less objects in the level to obstruct movement and aiming. The result is a feeling that is very much different from the original that was the goal.

One of the biggest issues with the Multiplayer is not actually the developers fault... Well it kinda is for using the engine in the first place... The Unreal Engine 3 has many issues when it comes to its base Netcode, Optimisation and Input. The lack of native demo recording, first person spectator and many other small issues are going to prevent this game from being the game we all wish it was... Personally I have no idea why the developers would have used UE3 with a game that is supposed to be this fast pace without making huge changes to the core systems. This game would be much better suited to Source or even the old school engines from Quake and CoD. Its a shame because as someone that also maps and mods useing the unreal engine I just wish the current build was better. Hopefully UE4 will make some vast improvements but as it stands this was the time bomb that was always going to limit the potential for Rise of the Triads.

Finally on the side of the multiplayer... Overall balance is off... Full hp Full fire armour, no problem just hit them with one of many explosives that will still blow their socks off. I was hoping for a skill based experiance but it turns out due to STUPID choices by the developers the game just ends up being a clunky spam fest filled with childish humor and poor movement.

I could continue... But this is getting very long and even though I do not want to...
  2. Aug 1, 2013
    This game is just...ugh. I thought it was going to be awesome and its really not. Online has serious clipping and pathing issues and you get caught on every other thing on the ground. When you reload your pistol you cannot fire anymore until you die, and there are some serious texture issues. The single player feels thrown together and I really am curious if they actually had people testThis game is just...ugh. I thought it was going to be awesome and its really not. Online has serious clipping and pathing issues and you get caught on every other thing on the ground. When you reload your pistol you cannot fire anymore until you die, and there are some serious texture issues. The single player feels thrown together and I really am curious if they actually had people test this game or if they just threw it out the door. In the first level alone I got caught in terrain/walls and had to blow myself up to get out. This isn't acceptable anymore, and just because we are going for a retro remake doesn't mean the same sort of bugs and lack of polish are acceptable. Expand
  3. Jul 31, 2013
    Launch day Video issues are a common thing now a days...My 6990 has a few problems getting 60...But turning off a few things and it works great. This Game is nuts! AND the first game i think since 2002 to have DIRECT IP CONNECTION FOR MP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AWESOME. WHen you log in (Gog and steam MP servers for all) It says welcome to the master race!
  4. Aug 1, 2013
    People giving this game a 10/10 are either paid stooges or out of their minds. This game has so many faults it would take all day to list. The controls are sloppy, the graphics are outdated by a decade, the levels are small and uninspired, the movement speed is absurd, the auto-save is broken, the A.I. is stupid, and those are just the things that are working as intended. There are also aPeople giving this game a 10/10 are either paid stooges or out of their minds. This game has so many faults it would take all day to list. The controls are sloppy, the graphics are outdated by a decade, the levels are small and uninspired, the movement speed is absurd, the auto-save is broken, the A.I. is stupid, and those are just the things that are working as intended. There are also a multitude of bugs causing graphic glitches, clipping, frame rate drops, and downright crashes. Yes, it is a bargain bin $15 title, but that is no excuse for releasing a piece of software that clearly still belongs in alpha testing. I gave this 2/10 only out of nostalgia, and it's a shame because this classic franchise deserved a better developer. Expand
  5. Aug 2, 2013
    The devs promised a patch to fix the performance... 1.0.1 was patched to remove the developer debug commands (yes) and getting LAN (a selling point, according to them) to actually work. This is what we get for forking out our money. Now they are saying it might be another 5 weeks to patch it in. Sorry, but I'm not going to waste my time with your piss poor game. Don't lie to us and tell usThe devs promised a patch to fix the performance... 1.0.1 was patched to remove the developer debug commands (yes) and getting LAN (a selling point, according to them) to actually work. This is what we get for forking out our money. Now they are saying it might be another 5 weeks to patch it in. Sorry, but I'm not going to waste my time with your piss poor game. Don't lie to us and tell us the game runs 120fps, dont lie and say you can make your own weapons, don't lie and say weapon fov can be adjusted, don't lie and say your first patch will fix our major problems, when all you did was remove the debug commands. I mean REALLY? they claimed to be optimising the game and polishing it for months, this is the result of all their hard work? Boy, I can't wait to see what they have left in store! /sarcasm Even one of the developers commented on forum 'WE'RE SORRY GUYS, WE THOUGHT YOU WOULD LOVE IT!" meaning this is their best work. Nope, cash grab, cash grab, cash grab. You have my money, you're probably laughing, but I hope you choke on it, because I'm never buying one of your games ever again. Even if it's free, I don't want your stinking trash on my computer. Game died in 1 day, not even 500 people playing compared to 2000 on day one. R.I.P. ROTT IN PIECES. OH THE PUNS Expand
  6. May 12, 2014
    Together with bringing nostalgia to those who grew up with it, this game reminds us many of the flaws of the old RotT and other old FPS.
    For example, its a first person shooter with platforming, and not the great Mirror's Edge kind of platforming, this is the **** kind of platforming.
    Another annoyance is that sometimes enemies blend in with the background and its not easy to notice them before they shoot you and maybe kill you, which isn't a good thing for this kind of game.
    Also there is no quick saving and there are some performance issues.

Its a great game, and its hard, fans of the original will enjoy this one, everyone else will have frustrating moments but you might still enjoy it, especially if you're tired of the casual games or especially the casual shooters that pretend to be hardcore and fail at being either. At least it never gets boring.
  7. Aug 8, 2013
    ROTT is a mixed bag. It's fast. It's frantic. It's fun. At first. Then you start dying a lot. In the beginning you'll experience wanting to play "just one more section", but an hour or two later you'll start hating it. Why? One reason, it's really crappy game saving system. No F5, no F9, only automatic save checkpoints which are torturously far apart. So, you'll be replaying the sameROTT is a mixed bag. It's fast. It's frantic. It's fun. At first. Then you start dying a lot. In the beginning you'll experience wanting to play "just one more section", but an hour or two later you'll start hating it. Why? One reason, it's really crappy game saving system. No F5, no F9, only automatic save checkpoints which are torturously far apart. So, you'll be replaying the same levels and sections again and again. And again. Finding the same secrets, same enemies, same puzzles, same coins over and over again. That isn't fun, it's frustrating and the lack of being able to save your game spoils what could otherwise be a fun game. You have been warned. Expand
  8. Oct 3, 2013
    This single player of this game is frustrating more than anything, and mostly because of the checkpoint system. It is also very hard to tell where you are getting shot from, and the damage indicator is not always pointed in the right direction. This is basic stuff that should have been fixed in testing. This game is nearly impossible and one of the most frustrating games I've ever playedThis single player of this game is frustrating more than anything, and mostly because of the checkpoint system. It is also very hard to tell where you are getting shot from, and the damage indicator is not always pointed in the right direction. This is basic stuff that should have been fixed in testing. This game is nearly impossible and one of the most frustrating games I've ever played on the hardest difficulty, not because of the fps skill that it involves, but because of the memorization involved in learning the positions of enemies and traps in the huge areas between checkpoints.

This game definitely does have style, and the gameplay is similar to Serious Sam, but without the balance. Stuff like mowing down enemies with the smg and having their body parts go all over the floor is something I would love to see in more games. It's too bad this game could not fix the easily-fixable major problems it has that make it nearly unplayable.

Also, the multiplayer seems fun, with Unreal Tournament style arena shooter gameplay, but too bad there's no one online, ever.
  9. Aug 4, 2013
    Runs poorly on a computer that can run Black Ops 2 and Crysis 3 at high settings with no problem? Check. Constant clipping issues? Check. Bugs? Check. Graphics circa 2003 first person shooters? Check. Floaty controls? Check. Please ignore those 10/10 reviews as those people are either insane or have never played a decent fps, this game is BAD. I liked the original game but this feels likeRuns poorly on a computer that can run Black Ops 2 and Crysis 3 at high settings with no problem? Check. Constant clipping issues? Check. Bugs? Check. Graphics circa 2003 first person shooters? Check. Floaty controls? Check. Please ignore those 10/10 reviews as those people are either insane or have never played a decent fps, this game is BAD. I liked the original game but this feels like a cheap attempt at a revival of the franchise. If you are looking to play an fps that will give you that "classic" feel go play "Painkiller" or "Serious Sam" and avoid this.. Expand
  10. Sep 11, 2013
    A solid old school shooter. Jump pads, insane weapons, and secrets. The developer tediously works on maintaining the feel of the original, while giving it a modern look. Give this game a chance, you will scream, "WHAT YEAR IS IT?" when a rocket hits a triad and gibs fly in every direction. Plus, dog mode, yes you can play as a dog once you pick up the power up. All while a boomingA solid old school shooter. Jump pads, insane weapons, and secrets. The developer tediously works on maintaining the feel of the original, while giving it a modern look. Give this game a chance, you will scream, "WHAT YEAR IS IT?" when a rocket hits a triad and gibs fly in every direction. Plus, dog mode, yes you can play as a dog once you pick up the power up. All while a booming soundtrack of cheesy and modern metalness thumps in the background Expand
  11. Aug 17, 2013
    Game is unplayable and unenjoyable. Multiplayer is a complete waste of time. Level design is insipid and uninspired. Developers appear to be 15 year olds. Save your money.
  12. Aug 9, 2013
    I put many hours into the original Rise of the Triad during the mid 1990's. This was one of my favorite games of that era. I was excited to see a remake on the horizon. The trailers looked great. It looked like everything one could want in a remake of the classic Rise of the Triad. That was until you loaded the game. Many people had game-breaking frame rate isses, I luckily did not haveI put many hours into the original Rise of the Triad during the mid 1990's. This was one of my favorite games of that era. I was excited to see a remake on the horizon. The trailers looked great. It looked like everything one could want in a remake of the classic Rise of the Triad. That was until you loaded the game. Many people had game-breaking frame rate isses, I luckily did not have *much* issue. The fps are rather unstable, even on an extremely powerful system. This first issue that I encountered, was the inability to map the entire keyboard, this is a PC game allegedly made by PC gamers...they should have known better. The game relies heavily on poorly placed checkpoints and there is no option to manually save. This is a large departure from the original. It is rather lame to have to repeat large portions of a map from a previous checkpoint because some sort of insta-kill trap or poorly designed jump puzzle resulted in you dying just short of the next checkpoint. Additionally, and even more damningly, the map locks behind you after each checkpoint, so if you happen to mistakenly bumble through one of the invisible checkpoint triggers with 5% health, there is no going back. Absolutely terrible design for a PC game, and it is absolutely inexcusable to close the map behind the player. Parts of the maps are very glitchy and clipping issues are commonplace. Overall, the gameplay itself could be fun and the game has to potential to be fun, but the poorly designed platforming puzzles coupled with the terribly done checkpoints move what had potential to be a good game faithful to its original to the fail category. The developers are allegedly working on patches for performance and perhaps the save game system. If they address those issues the game is quite possibly 8 out of 10, but, in absence of those fixes the game stands at a paltry 2 out of 10. Expand
  13. Sep 15, 2013
    EDIT: Now that patch 1.1 is out, the game is perfectly playable (although I can't speak for everyone). Make sure to remove your previous .INI file in "...(backslash)Documents(backslash)my games(backslash)Rise Of The Triad" and restart your PC.

Unfortunately, the launch has been a bit rocky with various technical issues (for example, I can't change the graphical settings, music volume is very low and steam integration doesn't work, which means no achievements). So I won't lie and say my experience has been perfectly flawless.
    What is under all the temporary problems is a damn good game that fulfills its goals almost perfectly. This is as good as old-school fps remakes get, really.

You might think that Serious Sam is THE old-school experience to date, but it does not properly feature the level design, gameplay, Enemy AI and etc. that lovers of the old school FPS's are so familiar with. Rise of the Triad does. (I'm not saying Serious Sam sucks, It is indeed awesome)
    This game hasn't even begun to show its promises yet, with level editors and future updates on the horizon.
    The little multiplayer that I have played is really fun, but as of now, I can't say too much about it. It is pretty much what you'd expect. If you're looking for a great multiplayer twitch shooter, look no further.

So in conclusion, It's a great old-school shooter with a fresh coat of painting including satisfying gameplay both in multiplayer and singleplayer that is very worthy for its low price tag. Go get it! (Even if only to hear and see the Apogee logo again)
  14. Aug 3, 2013
    If you are an old first person shooter fan like myself, then this is the game for you. Finally a game that is fun to play. I give this game a 10 out 10.
  15. Aug 2, 2013
    I don't right reviews often, but games like this ROTT remake really piss me off. Especially when I see dozens of 10/10 and 9/10 reviews. It smells funny. First let me just say that I grew up original ROTT as well as many other oldschool FPS (wolfenstein, doom, doom 2, quake) so I get what they were going for. I gave the game 4 not a 0, virtually no game deserves a 0. The gore is prettyI don't right reviews often, but games like this ROTT remake really piss me off. Especially when I see dozens of 10/10 and 9/10 reviews. It smells funny. First let me just say that I grew up original ROTT as well as many other oldschool FPS (wolfenstein, doom, doom 2, quake) so I get what they were going for. I gave the game 4 not a 0, virtually no game deserves a 0. The gore is pretty entertaining and levels have lots of secrets which is nice. However, the game, as it stands, is unplayable. You constantly get caught on the map in both singleplayer and multipalyer, lots of clipping, just downright poor graphics (dont gimme that oldschool crap, it can still look polished, I mean honestly the game is UGLY). Also, it crashes constantly, at least for me (others report this as well) and stutters, skips and lags (do you really have to ask? I'm a gamer writing reviews on metacritic, of course I have a kickass rig). The game feels lazy, like it was thrown together by a bunch of stoners who may have had a few good ideas but were too unmotivated to put the time or work into the game. I'd say this was just a cash grab for people of my generation who had fond memories of the shocking brutality of the first game. Expand
  16. Aug 19, 2013
    The producers claim they remained true to the original ROTT. I think they used that as an excuse to be lazy in parts of the development. This is especially true in the sound effects and voice overs. The sounds do not carry from a distance like they should. And the voiceovers sound like they were recorded when the actors were sleepy phoned in. Plus the volume of the voiceovers is all theThe producers claim they remained true to the original ROTT. I think they used that as an excuse to be lazy in parts of the development. This is especially true in the sound effects and voice overs. The sounds do not carry from a distance like they should. And the voiceovers sound like they were recorded when the actors were sleepy phoned in. Plus the volume of the voiceovers is all the way up and still impossible to hear. I know, just turn them off. Well it's still a game that feels like a bunch of high schoolers got together and threw in anything that the ninth graders among them laughed at. SAD! Expand
  17. Sep 1, 2013
    I've been playing PC games for some 20+ years now, and I have played through the entire gamut of old school games, so you could probably imagine how overjoyed I was when I saw ROTT was being rebooted... But this feeling of ecstasy and excitement were soon dashed as soon as I started playing this miserable of a game.

It seems the common thing to do these days is to reboot an old school

It seems the common thing to do these days is to reboot an old school franchise, like the did with Duke3D. What a travesty that was... and the reboot of ROTT is no different. In fact, I dare say it is worse.

Where to begin?... The graphics are utterly foul. It feels like my graphics card is throwing up on me, and its insulting my monitor. I get that they wanted the whole "nostalgia" feel, but the game genuinely looks god awful and has a seriously unfinished feel to it. It is also plagued with clipping problems. In many instances my character became stuck in a wall or part of the map and I had to reset the level. But that's just the beginning.

The game play is an affront to what brain cells I have left after playing this piece of as the graphics are to my poor eyes. I don't think I have experienced such mind-numbingly boring game-play in the last fifteen years of my life. You literally go through the levels with no sense of purpose at all, travel in uninspired environments, shoot at uninspired enemies and avoid uninspired pitfalls, all while running at approximately mach 4.

Maybe the weapons, then, will save ROTT? Unfortunately not I'm afraid. The weapons are also dreadfully boring and took little to no imagination at all to come up with. You have 4 choices: (1) a pistol, (2) two pistols, (3) a machine gun or (4) some form of a rocket launcher. The pistols and machine gun have infinite ammo, but for some reason have a reload option that serves no purpose, to my knowledge anyhow.

Lastly, the challenges one will face in this game have 2 levels of difficulty. Either the challenge will be easy as or hard as There is no middle ground. And the frustration level is through the roof in many situations, especially when a player is expected to perform tedious platform maneuvering all while dashing around like a rabid squirrel on cocaine.

It simply staggering how bad this game is. They had a great idea to work from, but someone they ****ed it up. The bottom line is this: it seems the developers of this game were just a bunch of lazy windowlickers that thought they could try their hand at making a game.

If this is the result of resurrecting Apogee as a company, I say put it back in the ground and let it rest in piece. And, on a personal note to the developers of this travesty of a game, shame on you.
  18. Sep 13, 2013
    I really wanted to like this game, I really did. I played the original many years ago when it used the Build engine and loved it. However, this remake is just downright disappointing at best. AI? what AI? Graphics are average and poorly optimized. How about game play? lets begin with controls: sloppy, movement is absolutely appalling, hit detection from enemies is nothing but confusing.I really wanted to like this game, I really did. I played the original many years ago when it used the Build engine and loved it. However, this remake is just downright disappointing at best. AI? what AI? Graphics are average and poorly optimized. How about game play? lets begin with controls: sloppy, movement is absolutely appalling, hit detection from enemies is nothing but confusing. Level design: thoughtless, generic and plain boring. I like the trend of bringing back old school classics with updated graphics but this one is a total miss and mess. Expand
  19. Aug 3, 2013
    This is probably the most enjoyable FPS game over the past few years for me.The game just straight says the hell to realistic and boring enviroment to places you in the castles which make no sense at all which is
    The true definition of gaming.
  20. Aug 18, 2013
    This game is old school shooter. So if you like current shooters don't expect all current stuff that are put in games (skills, hacking, sneaking, complex story). All game you gonna run and shoot that's all well maybe jump sometimes.

The game looks like it was made for 2009 year market. The graphics are bad and texture quality are even worse. The game runs bad, because it was poorly optimized.

If you want fast paced shooter this game is for you if you want complex shooter go play Call Of Duty.
  21. Aug 2, 2013
    WOW this takes me back, to when life was simple and all I had was a PC, me and my brother had intel 286's (WHAT!) and networked to play till he had to go to school and I had to go to work. This is how games should be, not too serious and fun to play, hope they do some of their other titles and what price too. WHAT MORE CAN YOU WANT WOOOHOOO.
  22. Aug 4, 2013
    RISE OF THE TRIAD is old school run-and-gun gaming at its best! Thoroughly enjoyed playing this take on the Castle Wolfenstein genre even if it wasn't released under that brand. Highly enjoyable gameplay mixed with great music and updated visuals make this a treat for sure!
  23. Aug 1, 2013
    (SINGLEPLAYER REVIEW)

THE GOOD: Very, very challenging. Oldschool level design including keycard hunts and deadly obstacles. Super fast movement speed. No regenerating health. Unlimited ammo, no reloading required (just like in the original). Collectables and hidden areas. Gore galore. Awesome remakes of old songs, including the ability to listen to the classic versions. Tons
    (SINGLEPLAYER REVIEW)

THE GOOD:
    Very, very challenging. Oldschool level design including keycard hunts and deadly obstacles. Super fast movement speed. No regenerating health. Unlimited ammo, no reloading required (just like in the original). Collectables and hidden areas. Gore galore. Awesome remakes of old songs, including the ability to listen to the classic versions. Tons of graphics options.

THE BAD:
    No manual saving. Poor A.I. that doesn't always react to your presence. Small enemies that blend in too well with the environments. Widespread performance issues (frame rate drops and stuttering). Mouse smoothing that can't be disabled through the menus (plus when it's disabled via config edits, the movement still doesn't feel quite right).

OVERALL:
    A fun game that stays true to the original in many ways but also lacks polish. It's fast, furious, and challenging, but makes one wonder just how great it could have been had the developers spent more time optimizing the performance and kept a classic "save anywhere, anytime" system. Thankfully, for $15 it isn't much of a gamble and if you're a fan of shooters from the "good old days," go for it. Just expect your moments of glee to occasionally be interrupted by those of disappointment or thoughts of "what could have been."
  24. Jul 31, 2013
    Okay, so, this game is a must get.

For 15 bucks, it's more than worth its value. There's secrets on every level, an amazing comic book intro, fun boss fights, and a kick-ass arsenal of weaponry. This is truly a FPS we've been waiting for, and personally one of the better games of 2013. With such a low price, how the bloody hell could you refuse this ludicrous, bloody game? It runs
    Okay, so, this game is a must get.

It runs very smoothly on machines, and it well optimized. It can run on lower hardware, but can still look stunning graphically.

The game-play is amazing. Classic FPS at its best. I felt like I was playing Quake or Doom once again.

But sadly this game DOES come with some bugs Rocket-jumping at certain areas will make you fall out of the map and die but I am sure it will e patched later on. Its usually not buggy or game breaking.

Overall, this game is great. Pick it up or be ashamed. Do NOT pirate this masterpiece of a game. The developers more than deserve the money Plus its only 15 bucks! Interceptor Entertainment has proven they are worthy of being in the game industry.

This game WILL bury you in a lunch box.
  25. Aug 17, 2013
    Terrible game. Bad performance issues, poor English grammar, unmemorable maps, terrible multi-player. Not even worth the $15. Avoid this steaming pile of cow manure. There are better games out there.
  26. Aug 2, 2013
    Capolavoro di giocabilità, frenetico, violento, irriverente!

Bambinetti dalle mani paccioccose sporche di nutella, statene lontani, qui si fa sul serio.
  27. Oct 7, 2013
    Okay, originally the performance was bad but they did a patch soon after release to adjust this. It's a modern rehash of an oldschool FPS. The level design is okay and the graphics are fairly good. They made some good changes to weapons but I got a little irritated with the checkpoint system.
  28. Aug 5, 2013
    This game is really good. Why? Because the remakes of old-school shooter games must be like that. It's fun, it have dog mode and hell yeah LUDICROUS GIBS. Just like the original. Perfomance issues? Bugs? This will be patched soon, because not all games perfectly polished.
  29. Aug 8, 2013
    If you need a heavy storyline full of pseudo-meaningful allegorical imagery, then go and play Bioshock. This game is everything it should be (very) fast, hardcore, and visually beautiful. ROTT is back!
  30. Oct 15, 2013
    If you are a "CoD-mLg-SOBudGET=quality" kindeh' guy, don't get this. You'd hate it. You think graphics and story really matter in this.

If you are a Doom-loving Quake's great kindeh' guy, buy the hell out of this game. Rise of the Triad feels like a 90's FPS, a lot like Quake. I'm giving a 9, because Interceptor hasn't been too quick on fixing the games performance, so, you might want to wait on getting this, it's hell on AMD chipsets.

1. Mar 11, 2014
    Rise of the Triad is a faithful tribute to both the original game and to the FPS games of the nineties in general. Hopefully the technical issues will be patched out soon, though. [Nov 2013]
  2. Oct 31, 2013
    The soundtrack is the only good thing in the new Rise of the Triad.
  3. Sep 11, 2013
    Despite its constant punishment and inherently derivative nature, it stands apart from its modern-day competitors. Its appeal and its absurdity are one and the same.