6.8

1. Aug 2, 2013
    The devs promised a patch to fix the performance... 1.0.1 was patched to remove the developer debug commands (yes) and getting LAN (a selling point, according to them) to actually work. This is what we get for forking out our money. Now they are saying it might be another 5 weeks to patch it in. Sorry, but I'm not going to waste my time with your piss poor game. Don't lie to us and tell us the game runs 120fps, dont lie and say you can make your own weapons, don't lie and say weapon fov can be adjusted, don't lie and say your first patch will fix our major problems, when all you did was remove the debug commands. I mean REALLY? they claimed to be optimising the game and polishing it for months, this is the result of all their hard work? Boy, I can't wait to see what they have left in store! /sarcasm Even one of the developers commented on forum 'WE'RE SORRY GUYS, WE THOUGHT YOU WOULD LOVE IT!" meaning this is their best work. Nope, cash grab, cash grab, cash grab. You have my money, you're probably laughing, but I hope you choke on it, because I'm never buying one of your games ever again. Even if it's free, I don't want your stinking trash on my computer. Game died in 1 day, not even 500 people playing compared to 2000 on day one. R.I.P. ROTT IN PIECES. OH THE PUNS Expand
  2. Jul 31, 2013
    Launch day Video issues are a common thing now a days...My 6990 has a few problems getting 60...But turning off a few things and it works great. This Game is nuts! AND the first game i think since 2002 to have DIRECT IP CONNECTION FOR MP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AWESOME. WHen you log in (Gog and steam MP servers for all) It says welcome to the master race!
  3. Aug 1, 2013
    This game is just...ugh. I thought it was going to be awesome and its really not. Online has serious clipping and pathing issues and you get caught on every other thing on the ground. When you reload your pistol you cannot fire anymore until you die, and there are some serious texture issues. The single player feels thrown together and I really am curious if they actually had people test this game or if they just threw it out the door. In the first level alone I got caught in terrain/walls and had to blow myself up to get out. This isn't acceptable anymore, and just because we are going for a retro remake doesn't mean the same sort of bugs and lack of polish are acceptable. Collapse
  4. Aug 1, 2013
    People giving this game a 10/10 are either paid stooges or out of their minds. This game has so many faults it would take all day to list. The controls are sloppy, the graphics are outdated by a decade, the levels are small and uninspired, the movement speed is absurd, the auto-save is broken, the A.I. is stupid, and those are just the things that are working as intended. There are also a multitude of bugs causing graphic glitches, clipping, frame rate drops, and downright crashes. Yes, it is a bargain bin $15 title, but that is no excuse for releasing a piece of software that clearly still belongs in alpha testing. I gave this 2/10 only out of nostalgia, and it's a shame because this classic franchise deserved a better developer. Expand
  5. Aug 2, 2013
    So, where to start... How about with the FPS issues?
    Unreal Engine 3 is a very powerful engine, however it does have its issues. Rise of the Triads has had it rough when it comes to optermiseations from both an effects and level design stand point. Many of the weapons have very resource expensive effects that are guaranteed to bring even the most powerful of systems to its knees. I
    suppose what makes this even worse is the simple fact that the majorty of weapon effects do not even look that impressive... When it comes to level design the mass overuse of high tri static meshes is unforgivable and really seems to point to inexperiance as the main culprit to this games optimisation issues...

Its the simple things, like opting to have a bridge made out of 100+ resource expensive "Gravity Pads" rather then opting for a simple 12 tri block that could do the exact same job... Please do not take my comments out of context. Like most other people I believe that sometimes graphical improvements are worth the cost of a few frames... However in this circumstance having 12 Tri and 1 collision box replaced by 100,000 Tri bridges with 100s of colision boxes is simply not excusable in a game where even the developers in early press releases and interviews claim the game should be "120 frames or bust.."

When it comes down to the MP balance... Wow... This could take a while...
    Rise of the Triad was designed to be more of a HD Remake of an oldschool arena shooter then a modenisation. I totally understand that but you cannot upgrade certain aspects and expect the game to feel the same. A good example is the Hit Scan weapons. Even ignoring the poor Unreal Engine Netcode and just focusing on the pure basics we will notice a huge difference. By changing the way projectiles are traced in 3d space and increasing the resolution we now have bullets the size of pin pricks. When compared to the 1994 original where you had bullets the size of cannon balls and less objects in the level to obstruct movement and aiming. The result is a feeling that is very much different from the original that was the goal.

One of the biggest issues with the Multiplayer is not actually the developers fault... Well it kinda is for using the engine in the first place... The Unreal Engine 3 has many issues when it comes to its base Netcode, Optimisation and Input. The lack of native demo recording, first person spectator and many other small issues are going to prevent this game from being the game we all wish it was... Personally I have no idea why the developers would have used UE3 with a game that is supposed to be this fast pace without making huge changes to the core systems. This game would be much better suited to Source or even the old school engines from Quake and CoD. Its a shame because as someone that also maps and mods useing the unreal engine I just wish the current build was better. Hopefully UE4 will make some vast improvements but as it stands this was the time bomb that was always going to limit the potential for Rise of the Triads.

Finally on the side of the multiplayer... Overall balance is off... Full hp Full fire armour, no problem just hit them with one of many explosives that will still blow their socks off. I was hoping for a skill based experiance but it turns out due to STUPID choices by the developers the game just ends up being a clunky spam fest filled with childish humor and poor movement.

I could continue... But this is getting very long and even though I do not want to...
  6. Aug 2, 2013
    I don't right reviews often, but games like this ROTT remake really piss me off. Especially when I see dozens of 10/10 and 9/10 reviews. It smells funny. First let me just say that I grew up original ROTT as well as many other oldschool FPS (wolfenstein, doom, doom 2, quake) so I get what they were going for. I gave the game 4 not a 0, virtually no game deserves a 0. The gore is pretty entertaining and levels have lots of secrets which is nice. However, the game, as it stands, is unplayable. You constantly get caught on the map in both singleplayer and multipalyer, lots of clipping, just downright poor graphics (dont gimme that oldschool crap, it can still look polished, I mean honestly the game is UGLY). Also, it crashes constantly, at least for me (others report this as well) and stutters, skips and lags (do you really have to ask? I'm a gamer writing reviews on metacritic, of course I have a kickass rig). The game feels lazy, like it was thrown together by a bunch of stoners who may have had a few good ideas but were too unmotivated to put the time or work into the game. I'd say this was just a cash grab for people of my generation who had fond memories of the shocking brutality of the first game. Expand
  7. Jul 31, 2013
    Okay, so, this game is a must get. For 15 bucks, it's more than worth its value. There's secrets on every level, an amazing comic book intro, fun boss fights, and a kick-ass arsenal of weaponry. This is truly a FPS we've been waiting for, and personally one of the better games of 2013. With such a low price, how the bloody hell could you refuse this ludicrous, bloody game? It runs very smoothly on machines, and it well optimized. It can run on lower hardware, but can still look stunning graphically.

The game-play is amazing. Classic FPS at its best. I felt like I was playing Quake or Doom once again.

But sadly this game DOES come with some bugs Rocket-jumping at certain areas will make you fall out of the map and die but I am sure it will e patched later on. Its usually not buggy or game breaking.

Overall, this game is great. Pick it up or be ashamed. Do NOT pirate this masterpiece of a game. The developers more than deserve the money Plus its only 15 bucks! Interceptor Entertainment has proven they are worthy of being in the game industry.

This game WILL bury you in a lunch box.
  8. Jul 31, 2013
    Makes me feel like a little kid again, when I played Wolf3D, Blake Stone, ROTT and DooM. :)
    Ofcourse this game isn't perfect, and it's likely the CoD generation doesn't like it.
    But for oldschool shooter lovers, I can highly recommend it. Especially seeing it's low pricepoint.
  9. Aug 4, 2013
    Runs poorly on a computer that can run Black Ops 2 and Crysis 3 at high settings with no problem? Check. Constant clipping issues? Check. Bugs? Check. Graphics circa 2003 first person shooters? Check. Floaty controls? Check. Please ignore those 10/10 reviews as those people are either insane or have never played a decent fps, this game is BAD. I liked the original game but this feels like a cheap attempt at a revival of the franchise. If you are looking to play an fps that will give you that "classic" feel go play "Painkiller" or "Serious Sam" and avoid this.. Expand
  10. Aug 1, 2013
    Oh my god. I never played the original but this game is awesome. In the time of CoD clones this game stands out. Everybody who like shooter should have played it once. Just 14$ better than a Black Ops 2 DLC
  11. Jul 31, 2013
    This game is awesome. On release it has a few bugs and is lacking a few features you'd expect in multiplayer but it's super fast paced, the single player campaign is fun and ridiculous and it's full of nostalgia. Awesome job Interceptor & Apogee.
  12. Aug 1, 2013
    This is one of the most ridiculous games you will ever play, which is why this game is so darn good. If you want to play an FPS present day graphics and old school gameplay, Rise of the Triad is the game for you. There's not many games that bring this much joy to a gamer like me. This one, however, manages to make me smile as soon as I start playing. In addition, it's dirt cheap, so there's no need to even think about it just buy it! I hope this game one day goes to other platforms so that other folks can experience this masterpiece for the master race. Expand
  13. Jul 31, 2013
    Truly an Ode to old school shooting. If you were looking for a more complicated game then your out of luck. With almost no bugs to speak of and a very cheap price, Rise of the Triad will bring you hours of fun and numerous challenges. While some may find the difficulty deterring, the truly hardcore gamer will love what makes this game hard. With a level creator and tons of future mods, this game will go far. Good job Interceptor, you've stayed to the roots and made a great debut. Expand
  14. Jul 31, 2013
    Going to visit my dad every year for the holidays ROTT was the game I would play on my dads old Win 95 PC Now here we are in 2013 and they have brought back that same feeling I had back then only in HD All I have to say is for 15$ this is a great game
  15. Aug 1, 2013
    This is an amazing game. And I have to specify the fact that this is a VIDEO GAME. Not some "interactive movie" that you spend 50 bucks on, not a "cinematic experience" with scripted events and quicktime events every 30 seconds, THIS IS A GAME!
    You actually feel like playing levels. There's a ton of secrets and short cuts, there's collectibles like coins, there's all sorts of crazy
    weapons. Not only that, but it's actually a fair challenge. And it actually has some replayability unlike today's "movie games".
    What's great about this game is that although this is a remake, it features updated shooter mechanics which make this game actually play differently. The Unreal Engine also makes this game look better than most triple A games now a days. And all of that for 15 bucks. Not to mention that there's also multiplayer.

There's still some bugs and glitches here and there but for the price you're paying, you're getting more than a complete package. If you want to actually have a fun time while playing a game, pick this one up immediately.
  16. Aug 1, 2013
    (SINGLEPLAYER REVIEW)

THE GOOD:
    Very, very challenging. Oldschool level design including keycard hunts and deadly obstacles. Super fast movement speed. No regenerating health. Unlimited ammo, no reloading required (just like in the original). Collectables and hidden areas. Gore galore. Awesome remakes of old songs, including the ability to listen to the classic versions. Tons
    of graphics options.

THE BAD:
    No manual saving. Poor A.I. that doesn't always react to your presence. Small enemies that blend in too well with the environments. Widespread performance issues (frame rate drops and stuttering). Mouse smoothing that can't be disabled through the menus (plus when it's disabled via config edits, the movement still doesn't feel quite right).

OVERALL:
    A fun game that stays true to the original in many ways but also lacks polish. It's fast, furious, and challenging, but makes one wonder just how great it could have been had the developers spent more time optimizing the performance and kept a classic "save anywhere, anytime" system. Thankfully, for $15 it isn't much of a gamble and if you're a fan of shooters from the "good old days," go for it. Just expect your moments of glee to occasionally be interrupted by those of disappointment or thoughts of "what could have been."
  17. Aug 8, 2013
    ROTT is a mixed bag. It's fast. It's frantic. It's fun. At first. Then you start dying a lot. In the beginning you'll experience wanting to play "just one more section", but an hour or two later you'll start hating it. Why? One reason, it's really crappy game saving system. No F5, no F9, only automatic save checkpoints which are torturously far apart. So, you'll be replaying the same levels and sections again and again. And again. Finding the same secrets, same enemies, same puzzles, same coins over and over again. That isn't fun, it's frustrating and the lack of being able to save your game spoils what could otherwise be a fun game. You have been warned. Expand
  18. Jul 31, 2013
    Interceptor Software was given the go ahead by Apogee to bring their 1990's cult FPS classic, Rise of the Triad, back onto the scene with a new Unreal Engine based re-imagining. Released today via Steam, RoTT is as ludicrous as ever, but it's not without several caveats and it remains an acquired taste...kind of like Monk Meal.

In pretty much every way that matters, this reboot/remake
    is a 90s shooter with all the expected pros and cons. It’s lightning fast, and 90% of your arsenal is pinpoint-precise. Realism is thrown out the window, so levels are less “brown corridors” and more “big rooms full of spinning blades of death rolling past collectible coins”, or “tiny platforms floating above giant lava rivers”, or “ascent up a pair of physically impossible towers”, or “pedestals containing heavy weapons that rise out of reach when you approach, as secret walls open and enemies attack.” Or all of the above, on the same map.

Before you buy your copy of Rise of the Triad and you should you need to first ask yourself how easily you can live without gradual healing. Or cover mechanics. Or auto-aim. Or a HUD. If these things are to your FPS enjoyment what water is to not dying from thirst, then Rise of the Triad is going to destroy you. As difficult as trying to explain the popularity of Stone Temple Pilots hard. Rise of the Triad requires a lot of patience to complete, and that’s by design. In fact, Interceptor CEO Fred Schreiber said during a multiplayer session that the gaming system he keeps coming back to (besides PC, he was quick to make clear) is the NES, precisely because NES games can be so difficult to complete.

From start to finish, Rise of the Triad is obstinately dedicated to being as difficult as possible. Enemies are pattern-based. In-game interactive elements are difficult to precisely interact with. You have to find health when you get damaged, and you take damage excessively. Checkpoints are absolutely brutal make it to one and you’ll still find yourself grinding through waves of enemies again and again, often making it nearly to the end of a segment, and having to do it all over again when you’re blown up by your own missile.

But it’s hard to dislike Rise of the Triad for this sort of thing, because– no, I take that back. It’s very, very easy to get massively frustrated with Rise of the Triad and quit out of it because of this sort of thing, but the frustrations are somewhat forgiven when you wander into basically anything else. This is a game that makes shooting feel good, and it has enough heavy weaponry and things to shoot with that heavy weaponry that you’re doing stuff that feels good pretty much 90% of the time.

The single player campaign is much like the original game’s (and many shooters from that era) in that it functions largely as a chance to practice for the multiplayer. The plot is simple: A UN special ops team called H.U.N.T. is sent to San Nicholas Island (part of California’s Channel Islands) to investigate a strange cult based there. The team is attacked, their landing craft destroyed, and they must now fight their way through the cult’s labyrinthine fortresses and stop them before they execute their plan to blow up Los Angeles

Multiplayer is a scream. At launch, it has Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch and Capture the Flag modes, and more are promised. Interceptor is providing dedicated servers, but the game also allows LAN, Direct IP and player-hosted games as well. That’s good, because you’ll need to practice with friends a lot before testing your mettle against strangers who will almost certainly destroy you.

If you have played the original ROTT, and were a fan, you will be astounded how “extremely faithful” this reboot really is. While Interceptor has certainly added new elements to the game and created something pretty unique, they do this with so much reverence and respect to the original, you sometimes have to remind yourself you aren’t actually playing the 1993 classic. Every little detail is replicated and recreated here: the hovering discs, the coins, the injured enemies begging for mercy it’s quite incredible how seamlessly Interceptor has merged the old and the new to create what can simply be described as a reboot masterpiece.
    It was a real pleasure to play (replay) Rise of the Triad, and Interceptor deserves every bit of credit they get for rebooting an all-time classic in the FPS genre.
  19. Jul 31, 2013
    As a remake of the spiritual sequel to the grandfather of shooters, I expected to be thrown back with old school style gameplay and level design. It definitely doesn't disappoint with that the levels have a ton of secrets, branching paths, keys for doors halfway across the map, and a lot of gameplay choices that died out since the 90s for example, reloading literally does nothing, and was just included for kicks. Ironsights were also thrown in, but outside of singleplayer you'll get destroyed if you use them. Multiplayer is a rocketfest, which can be frustrating at times, but once you learn your way around that's when it gets fun. The devs are the best part of the game, honestly there's lots of jokes thrown in, like the AI telling you to stick with a controller and text-to-speech in multiplayer (John Madden! John Madden!). However, it is a bit buggy on launch day, as I found myself getting stuck in walls a lot in singleplayer. I also can't really see a competitive future. But for what it is and what it tries to be, it's perfect. Expand
  20. Aug 1, 2013
    Rise of the Triad is a revamped, old-style shooter that doesn't try to be like the newer games. It recaptures the feel of old school shooters while adding little features and twists that improve on the old without losing the spirit. It feels more like Wolfenstein and Doom than their own sequels. Keep in mind that it's an arcadish shooter with some tongue-in-cheek humor and over-the-top everything, not a serious, realistic one. It plays and displays smoothly. All in all, it's a fun game to add to a shooter lover's collection. Expand
  21. Aug 2, 2013
    WOW this takes me back, to when life was simple and all I had was a PC, me and my brother had intel 286's (WHAT!) and networked to play till he had to go to school and I had to go to work. This is how games should be, not too serious and fun to play, hope they do some of their other titles and what price too. WHAT MORE CAN YOU WANT WOOOHOOO.
  22. Sep 15, 2013
    EDIT: Now that patch 1.1 is out, the game is perfectly playable (although I can't speak for everyone). Make sure to remove your previous .INI file in "...(backslash)Documents(backslash)my games(backslash)Rise Of The Triad" and restart your PC.

Unfortunately, the launch has been a bit rocky with various technical issues (for example, I can't change the graphical settings, music volume is
    very low and steam integration doesn't work, which means no achievements). So I won't lie and say my experience has been perfectly flawless.
    What is under all the temporary problems is a damn good game that fulfills its goals almost perfectly. This is as good as old-school fps remakes get, really.

You might think that Serious Sam is THE old-school experience to date, but it does not properly feature the level design, gameplay, Enemy AI and etc. that lovers of the old school FPS's are so familiar with. Rise of the Triad does. (I'm not saying Serious Sam sucks, It is indeed awesome)
    This game hasn't even begun to show its promises yet, with level editors and future updates on the horizon.
    The little multiplayer that I have played is really fun, but as of now, I can't say too much about it. It is pretty much what you'd expect. If you're looking for a great multiplayer twitch shooter, look no further.

So in conclusion, It's a great old-school shooter with a fresh coat of painting including satisfying gameplay both in multiplayer and singleplayer that is very worthy for its low price tag. Go get it! (Even if only to hear and see the Apogee logo again)
  23. Aug 4, 2013
    RISE OF THE TRIAD is old school run-and-gun gaming at its best! Thoroughly enjoyed playing this take on the Castle Wolfenstein genre even if it wasn't released under that brand. Highly enjoyable gameplay mixed with great music and updated visuals make this a treat for sure!
  24. Aug 17, 2013
    Terrible game. Bad performance issues, poor English grammar, unmemorable maps, terrible multi-player. Not even worth the $15. Avoid this steaming pile of cow manure. There are better games out there.
  25. Aug 1, 2013
    Fantastic single player action, excellent visuals, heaps of secrets and bonuses to keep you coming back not to mention different character strengths and weaknesses, allowing great replay value and very fast paced multiplayer action reminiscent of quake 3 team arena and with the UDK on the way you can be assured there will be many mods to come. All in all a very old skool 90s gaming experience and for the asking price you will be getting your moneys worth. Expand
  26. Aug 2, 2013
    Capolavoro di giocabilità, frenetico, violento, irriverente!

Bambinetti dalle mani paccioccose sporche di nutella, statene lontani, qui si fa sul serio.
  27. Aug 2, 2013
    Rise of the Triad is a good old-school shooter. When I played it, I felt as if I play in something very old and very cool. I like this levels, I like this stupid enemies, I like this BIG COINS & BIG GUNS.
    Of course, the game is eerily hardcore that only reinforces my interest in it, as opposed to the heap of modern shooters without gameplay.
  28. Aug 3, 2013
    This is probably the most enjoyable FPS game over the past few years for me.The game just straight says the hell to realistic and boring enviroment to places you in the castles which make no sense at all which is
    The true definition of gaming.
  29. Aug 2, 2013
    Where do I even begin with this game? It started off really good and I thought I could get into it, but after a while the problems start surfacing when the platforming decides to require really precise jumping when the game's controls are so damn sensitive. On episode 2 level 4 there is a part where you have to jump into this doorway with a broken floor beneath it. I've tried to jump in about 5 times now from different angles and nothing works, I just keep sliding into the lava. To make it even more annoying, you have to do the whole level again up to that point if you're that one pixel off. Still haven't gotten past it and I feel like it's such a waste of my time trying to do this one jump that should be so simple. In most cases during the game so far, about half the time I don't feel like it's my fault for dieing. The vast majority of the weapons are rocket launchers of some sort and all the objects, pillars and railings have hit barriers larger than you would think, so getting damaged by your own weapons happens all the friggin time. Much of the time the damage that traps do to you is extremely inconsistent. One time I got blasted by fire dead on and it only did like 20 damage. Another time I barely touched the edge of the fire and I practically exploded at full health. That's just scratching the surface but when the game decides to stop being unfair, it can be fun. The shooting for the most part is satisfying and the humor at some parts has made me laugh out loud. Expand
  30. Aug 17, 2013
    Game is unplayable and unenjoyable. Multiplayer is a complete waste of time. Level design is insipid and uninspired. Developers appear to be 15 year olds. Save your money.
  31. Aug 2, 2013
    Was very exited for this reboot as the original Rott pretty much dominated my childhood together with Duke Nukem.
    I was not disappointed albeit with a couple of ifs.

The game itself is very very fun, very true to the original and I have had a blast from the word go. Diverse arsenal, bloody gory mess, its got it all and it does what is says on the tin quite well. (being an remake)
    The
    only points where i found it lacking that it does look a lad outdated, and i attribute that to the lowish quality of the texturing. The voice acting is just, well, bad even though the game is a parody of itself. And the game is stupidly fast. I know the original was as well but not this fast. Expand
  32. Aug 2, 2013
    Why 5/10? Because of optimization. I've got Asus Radeon HD 7770 Graphics card and amd phenom II x4 945 processor 8 gb ram and this game is frapsing on LOW.... i can turn off EVERYTHING and set EVERYTHING to low and it gices a sh**.... I like this game for humor style fast moving but graphics it destroys EVERYTHING. I played on my brothers card geforce 550 titanium.... and it was a lot better than mine card. So 2 capabilities NVIDIA gave them money for worse optimalization for radeon cards or the messed up something. Expand
  33. Aug 3, 2013
    Eh.... I didn't play it expecting very much, but it really was a diasppointment. I get that it's supposed to be a remake of an old 1994 shooter, but it still is lacking. While I didn't mind the graphics or crazy effects, the game was riddled with glitches and quite boring AI. You'd be better off playing something like Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon if you want a comical,fast shooter.
  34. Aug 3, 2013
    If you are an old first person shooter fan like myself, then this is the game for you. Finally a game that is fun to play. I give this game a 10 out 10.
  35. Aug 9, 2013
    I put many hours into the original Rise of the Triad during the mid 1990's. This was one of my favorite games of that era. I was excited to see a remake on the horizon. The trailers looked great. It looked like everything one could want in a remake of the classic Rise of the Triad. That was until you loaded the game. Many people had game-breaking frame rate isses, I luckily did not have *much* issue. The fps are rather unstable, even on an extremely powerful system. This first issue that I encountered, was the inability to map the entire keyboard, this is a PC game allegedly made by PC gamers...they should have known better. The game relies heavily on poorly placed checkpoints and there is no option to manually save. This is a large departure from the original. It is rather lame to have to repeat large portions of a map from a previous checkpoint because some sort of insta-kill trap or poorly designed jump puzzle resulted in you dying just short of the next checkpoint. Additionally, and even more damningly, the map locks behind you after each checkpoint, so if you happen to mistakenly bumble through one of the invisible checkpoint triggers with 5% health, there is no going back. Absolutely terrible design for a PC game, and it is absolutely inexcusable to close the map behind the player. Parts of the maps are very glitchy and clipping issues are commonplace. Overall, the gameplay itself could be fun and the game has to potential to be fun, but the poorly designed platforming puzzles coupled with the terribly done checkpoints move what had potential to be a good game faithful to its original to the fail category. The developers are allegedly working on patches for performance and perhaps the save game system. If they address those issues the game is quite possibly 8 out of 10, but, in absence of those fixes the game stands at a paltry 2 out of 10. Expand
  36. Oct 7, 2013
    Okay, originally the performance was bad but they did a patch soon after release to adjust this. It's a modern rehash of an oldschool FPS. The level design is okay and the graphics are fairly good. They made some good changes to weapons but I got a little irritated with the checkpoint system.
  37. Aug 18, 2013
    This game is old school shooter. So if you like current shooters don't expect all current stuff that are put in games (skills, hacking, sneaking, complex story). All game you gonna run and shoot that's all well maybe jump sometimes.

The game looks like it was made for 2009 year market. The graphics are bad and texture quality are even worse. The game runs bad, because it was poorly
    optimized.

If you want fast paced shooter this game is for you if you want complex shooter go play Call Of Duty.
  38. Aug 4, 2013
    Checkpoints, bugs and bad performance are hurting this game. Part of making a 90's game is giving players freedom. That includes the freedom of saving whenever you want...
  39. Aug 5, 2013
    This game is really good. Why? Because the remakes of old-school shooter games must be like that. It's fun, it have dog mode and hell yeah LUDICROUS GIBS. Just like the original. Perfomance issues? Bugs? This will be patched soon, because not all games perfectly polished.
  40. Oct 3, 2013
    This single player of this game is frustrating more than anything, and mostly because of the checkpoint system. It is also very hard to tell where you are getting shot from, and the damage indicator is not always pointed in the right direction. This is basic stuff that should have been fixed in testing. This game is nearly impossible and one of the most frustrating games I've ever played on the hardest difficulty, not because of the fps skill that it involves, but because of the memorization involved in learning the positions of enemies and traps in the huge areas between checkpoints.

This game definitely does have style, and the gameplay is similar to Serious Sam, but without the balance. Stuff like mowing down enemies with the smg and having their body parts go all over the floor is something I would love to see in more games. It's too bad this game could not fix the easily-fixable major problems it has that make it nearly unplayable.

Also, the multiplayer seems fun, with Unreal Tournament style arena shooter gameplay, but too bad there's no one online, ever.
  41. Oct 14, 2013
    This is a game for masochists only. It is so frustrating because of the hyper-sensitive controls and retarded platforming. You're expected to jump onto moving platforms at Quake III speeds and if you miss judge the landing by one pixel you fall into lava and die. You than have to restart at a ridiculously far back starting point because the checkpoints are really far apart.
    This game
    would be fun if their was actual shooting in it. There is more jumping and platforming than shooting. Also, the explosions from your own weapons are more likely to kill you than from enemy fire because the blast radius is ridiculous, especially since most fighting is done in small spaces.
    This game is all the reasons I hated old school shooters no shooting, only crappy frustrating platforming and dumb level design.
  42. Aug 8, 2013
    If you need a heavy storyline full of pseudo-meaningful allegorical imagery, then go and play Bioshock. This game is everything it should be (very) fast, hardcore, and visually beautiful. ROTT is back!
  43. Aug 19, 2013
    The producers claim they remained true to the original ROTT. I think they used that as an excuse to be lazy in parts of the development. This is especially true in the sound effects and voice overs. The sounds do not carry from a distance like they should. And the voiceovers sound like they were recorded when the actors were sleepy phoned in. Plus the volume of the voiceovers is all the way up and still impossible to hear. I know, just turn them off. Well it's still a game that feels like a bunch of high schoolers got together and threw in anything that the ninth graders among them laughed at. SAD! Expand
  44. Aug 25, 2013
    I would give the game 4 as the game delivers a rott remake experience, but the amount of bugs, and clearly rushed /incompetent work put into the game unfortunately make the game a bad experience.
    if it was completely bugfree i would rate it a 8
  45. Sep 1, 2013
    I've been playing PC games for some 20+ years now, and I have played through the entire gamut of old school games, so you could probably imagine how overjoyed I was when I saw ROTT was being rebooted... But this feeling of ecstasy and excitement were soon dashed as soon as I started playing this miserable of a game.

It seems the common thing to do these days is to reboot an old school
    franchise, like the did with Duke3D. What a travesty that was... and the reboot of ROTT is no different. In fact, I dare say it is worse.

Where to begin?... The graphics are utterly foul. It feels like my graphics card is throwing up on me, and its insulting my monitor. I get that they wanted the whole "nostalgia" feel, but the game genuinely looks god awful and has a seriously unfinished feel to it. It is also plagued with clipping problems. In many instances my character became stuck in a wall or part of the map and I had to reset the level. But that's just the beginning.

The game play is an affront to what brain cells I have left after playing this piece of as the graphics are to my poor eyes. I don't think I have experienced such mind-numbingly boring game-play in the last fifteen years of my life. You literally go through the levels with no sense of purpose at all, travel in uninspired environments, shoot at uninspired enemies and avoid uninspired pitfalls, all while running at approximately mach 4.

Maybe the weapons, then, will save ROTT? Unfortunately not I'm afraid. The weapons are also dreadfully boring and took little to no imagination at all to come up with. You have 4 choices: (1) a pistol, (2) two pistols, (3) a machine gun or (4) some form of a rocket launcher. The pistols and machine gun have infinite ammo, but for some reason have a reload option that serves no purpose, to my knowledge anyhow.

Lastly, the challenges one will face in this game have 2 levels of difficulty. Either the challenge will be easy as or hard as There is no middle ground. And the frustration level is through the roof in many situations, especially when a player is expected to perform tedious platform maneuvering all while dashing around like a rabid squirrel on cocaine.

It simply staggering how bad this game is. They had a great idea to work from, but someone they ****ed it up. The bottom line is this: it seems the developers of this game were just a bunch of lazy windowlickers that thought they could try their hand at making a game.

If this is the result of resurrecting Apogee as a company, I say put it back in the ground and let it rest in piece. And, on a personal note to the developers of this travesty of a game, shame on you.
  46. Sep 11, 2013
    A solid old school shooter. Jump pads, insane weapons, and secrets. The developer tediously works on maintaining the feel of the original, while giving it a modern look. Give this game a chance, you will scream, "WHAT YEAR IS IT?" when a rocket hits a triad and gibs fly in every direction. Plus, dog mode, yes you can play as a dog once you pick up the power up. All while a booming soundtrack of cheesy and modern metalness thumps in the background Expand
  47. Sep 13, 2013
    I really wanted to like this game, I really did. I played the original many years ago when it used the Build engine and loved it. However, this remake is just downright disappointing at best. AI? what AI? Graphics are average and poorly optimized. How about game play? lets begin with controls: sloppy, movement is absolutely appalling, hit detection from enemies is nothing but confusing. Level design: thoughtless, generic and plain boring. I like the trend of bringing back old school classics with updated graphics but this one is a total miss and mess. Expand
  48. Oct 15, 2013
    If you are a "CoD-mLg-SOBudGET=quality" kindeh' guy, don't get this. You'd hate it. You think graphics and story really matter in this.

If you are a Doom-loving Quake's great kindeh' guy, buy the hell out of this game. Rise of the Triad feels like a 90's FPS, a lot like Quake. I'm giving a 9, because Interceptor hasn't been too quick on fixing the games performance, so, you might want
    to wait on getting this, it's hell on AMD chipsets. Expand
  49. Aug 6, 2013
    A lot of people won't enjoy this game because of its lack of similarities to call of duty, like its fast-paced gameplay, its abundance of secrets, the craziness of its weapons and powerups, and so on.
    It can play well on outdated hardware, but to max it out you need to have a very high-end computer, so don't be upset your 760gtx can't get 60fps on ultra, be happy your 460gtx can get 30 on medium.
  50. Sep 11, 2013
    Fantastic game full of throwbacks to the original, as well as a solid gameplay experience, in single and multiplayer. Unfortunately not getting as much attention as it should in the current state of the market, full of tactical cover shooter "Skinner Box" games.
  51. Oct 15, 2013
    Simply put, a team of dudes with a dream were able to push out a better product than Duke Nukem Forever, that actually captures the sugar-high rush of ADHD and the 90's, while remaining fun to play and tasteful.

Simply put, it's a must buy for the price...
    If you don't like the game, at least support the developers who poured their souls into the game.
  52. Aug 11, 2013
    Most of the low reviews come from people being frustrated with performance issues. I haven't had any such issues, but I can confirm that this game is indeed excellent and I am so glad I picked it up.
  53. Aug 18, 2013
    The old school fps with tons of adrenaline. He brings me in times, when even in single player you was needs to rocketjumping all the time and show much skill, when you need trying to kill the boss 10-15 times and wasting around hour to kill him and this is awesome!
  54. Aug 6, 2013
    Definite optimization issues on varied pc with different configurations and lack of servers is an issue as well. Over all its worth the 15 dollars. Let's hope the devs keep rolling out patches.
  55. Aug 16, 2013
    This is a fantastic game, the further you get into it, the better it gets. This game is such a refreshing change from slow easy hand holding experiences such as CoD. The level design is reasonably complex, the game is not linear and encourages exploration. The movement speed is fast and strafe jumping adds a bit of extra pace to the game.

The weapons are really cool, essentially you
    have a whole series of rocket launchers with varying characteristics which are the most used weapons which is very original, there is a machine gun and single or dual pistols and then there are 2 supernatural weapons with quite unique effects. Rocket jumping is present though its not as refined as quake but it allows entry to higher areas.

The graphics are good, they are not exceptional but imo the game looks quite pretty. There are some optimization issues though I haven't found this to be a major issue plus a patch is due to deal with that.

The main thing I like about this game is that its challenging and fun, on the hardest difficulty the game is really hard at certain points. The boss battles also stand out as very clever and well designed, the 3rd boss being very impressive and complex.

I would highly recommend this game especially at the price point its at, it has provided me with many hours of entertainment.
  56. Aug 17, 2013
    Amazing nostalgia trip. The levels are challenging and really keep you glued to the game. The multiplayer is insanely fast paced and tons of fun. This remake is just as crazy as the original. If you are a fan of first person shooters you will not be disappointed with Rise of the Triad.
  57. Aug 18, 2013
    Absolutely awesome! Rise of The Triad (ROTT) is an updated Quake/Arena style shooter, bringing the original '94 ROTT game as well as old school Quake style shooters back into gamers' hands. The game retails for $14.99 which in this opinion is a bit under-priced. The folks at Apogee have created an extremely *fun* shooter that embodies a lot of what the modern shooters no longer have, namely: wackiness, imagination, ludicrous gibs and a lots and lots of speed. The current best selling shooters are all about trying to create a sense of realism, they try to put you on the battlefield, and while they are clearly still tops, ROTT is not trying to copy that model, and Apogee never said that they were. Instead they have created a fast paced and unrealistic (haha it is powered by Unreal 3 after all) shooter that is incredibly enjoyable to play. I am giving it 9/10 due to its one minor flaw, the inability to save when desired, as the current check-point system does not work well with game, and was not a part of the original.

If you are looking for an extremely fun, fast paced shooter, you can't go wrong with this game and should buy it. If you are looking for another battlefield simulator, you also should buy it so you can see what another shooter is like. Once you get used to it, you won't be disappointed.
  58. Sep 27, 2013
    A>M>A>Z>I>N>G!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  59. Oct 15, 2013
    If you're looking for an extremely fun and simple old school shoot 'em up game with little to no flaws, you've found it. Rise of the Triad has good looking visuals and on top of that, a detailed gore system that a lot of combat games seem to be missing nowadays. It features some of the best music that I've ever heard in a video game and the sound design isn't that bad at all either. Game play is what's truly spot on in this game, though. It's simple and best kept that way for Rise of the Triad. It's supposed to be arcadey and fun instead of including dozen of complex and unnecessary functions that only piss you off when you're trying to get things done.

If you loved games such as Wolf 3D and Doom, maybe feel a little nostalgic, I'd suggest you pick this game up. It's only 13€ and features a lot of bang for your buck.
  60. May 12, 2014
    Together with bringing nostalgia to those who grew up with it, this game reminds us many of the flaws of the old RotT and other old FPS.
    For example, its a first person shooter with platforming, and not the great Mirror's Edge kind of platforming, this is the **** kind of platforming.
    Another annoyance is that sometimes enemies blend in with the background and its not easy to notice them
    before they shoot you and maybe kill you, which isn't a good thing for this kind of game.
    Also there is no quick saving and there are some performance issues.

Its a great game, and its hard, fans of the original will enjoy this one, everyone else will have frustrating moments but you might still enjoy it, especially if you're tired of the casual games or especially the casual shooters that pretend to be hardcore and fail at being either. At least it never gets boring.
  61. Oct 30, 2013
    I don't get this game. The graphics are terrible and it gives me a headache. Performance is terrible it can go from 90fps to 30fps from one room to the next. I got this game on sale thinking it would be mindless fun but its just poorly developed trash. GJ DEVS
  62. Jun 5, 2014
    The game is fun at times, simply because it's old-school feeling and royalty to it's own roots. Yet, the game is poorly optimized, and there are some design faults which take away a huge chunk of your pleasure. Shame, this could have been a classic.

Still, I say it's a solid FPS with 6.5/10 score. Much better than many other FPS games out there.
  63. May 22, 2014
    This "remake" gets one and one point only. Just for the awesome Soundtrack! The rest is: Bad. Just plain bad! RotT wants to delude you into believing its some kind of fast paced twitchy shooter, capturing the feel of the "good old 90's-Shooters". But it's not. It's more of a try and error death-maze with edges and trip-hazards waiting for you at every corner. Could sound like some challenging experience, but you already know how much fun jumping puzzles in an egoshooter are? exactly: No fun at all.

So, every speed and "fast paced gunplay" that wants to be build up, is instantly squashed by annoying traps that you can't avoid through skill and will run inevitably into.
    Did I mention corners and little bumps that stop your run?

And don't forget mandatory bugs and crashes!

But the Multiplayer-matches have to be fun, don't they?
    They could be, when you would be allowed to host and join a simple match!
    Steam -> Rightklick -> Join?
    Wrong!
    You must use an external RotT-Server-Tool and HOPE there will be something like a connetion (WHY?! The Hell WHY?)!
    Get used to the "ludicrous lag ahead"-Screen.

Try "Brutal Doom" or "Shadow Warrior" instead!
  64. Feb 7, 2014
    The only thing that i loved about this was the nostalgic fast gameplay of 90s shooters. Having performance issues and bugs. Single players difficulty is definitely overkilled, even easy seemed hard. AI simply aimbots you from every corner. And its quite difficult to realize where the shots actually come from. And the later levels also seemed kinda rushed or lazy. Multiplayer was okay. I wouldnt be hard with it if its on Beta state. But full release? Do not rush & stick more to the original chemistry. To be fair its a bit better than some big title remakes. Expand
  65. Jan 12, 2014
    I cannot call this a remake. It's almost an insult to call it a reboot. I don't know what else to call it, other than severely disappointing.

From what I can tell, this game was not a "labor of love" so much as a quick way to cash in on nostalgia. They tried to modernize a game that needed no modernization to be fun and it turns out to just be a garbled mess of modern physics and
    classic callbacks. And that formula just does not work, in my opinion.

The redone levels -- of which several are missing -- don't seem all that interesting to me in the slightest. They only bear a passing resemblance to their MS-DOS counterparts and all the added areas and content really adds nothing to the experience. You could argue that if the original map designers had a more powerful engine to work with (such as Doom's engine or the later Build engine), they would have made more intricate levels with even more craziness, but they didn't. And they happily worked with what they had, ending up with some absolutely fantastic levels! But that goes right out the bloody window with this remake. It's all about hopping over pits and traps now, or running through catwalks. It's prettier, sure, but it's also far less interesting somehow.

The graphic style for this game seems... questionable, at best. Some of the textures seem a bit generic. The original game had a lot of repeated textures, but you never really got tired of seeing them because they were used in a variety of ways. Here, it's just like... "Here's a cave level. Here's a warehouse. Here's an active volcano." It's a modern gaming convention sure, but that's not how the original did it, technical limitations or not. And it worked very well in the original.

The gameplay isn't all that impressive, either. We've seen games where you hop around like a maniac and shoot rockets at things until they die. We old-school gamers called that "Doom". While there were a number of enemies in any given Rise of the Triad level, in this remake, it seems like they just throw wave after wave at you in the action sections of levels, not really caring about the placement too much. A YouTuber said "it's non-stop action". The original at least gave you the chance to catch your breath.
    The original also had better sense about weapon placement. Given that this is an "old-school-style shooter", you'd think they'd make you hunt down weapons and think about ammo conservation. But no. If what said the YouTuber said is true, if you need a rocket launcher, there's probably one not five steps back from your current location.

And now on to what I really wanted to talk about... the thing that upset me the most out of everything... The music.
    The original soundtrack is something I greatly enjoyed from the original. Here, however... Every single track is utter garbage. They had a perfectly good soundtrack they could have just redone to fit the given styles. But no. Instead, it's thunderous electric guitars everywhere you turn! Every song in this game has them. Every song! Even Adagio for Strings and Mist Ache! How?!
    The arrangement of every piece of music is also poorly done. All my favorites, "Adagio for Strings", "CCCool", "Goin' Down the Fast Way"... terrible! Absolutely terrible! There may be an option to change to the original soundtrack, but why did they bother? The original soundtrack doesn't work with what they've done at all!

This absolutely does not feel like Rise of the Triad to me. It's almost a hollow parody... Clearly, they were going for "darker and edgier" here and while they succeeded in both aspects, it also loses pretty much all of what made the original game fun: Great music, curious weapons of mass destruction, simple level design with complex secrets, and above all, humor and inside jokes! The YouTuber I mentioned said this game has humor, but I sincerely failed to see the humor in sub-bosses named after body parts and innuendo. That's the extent of the humor, by the way. I did not see even the slightest sign of any of the inside jokes from the original game. At all.

I were to give the game some credit, I guess I'd have to say they did some mildly interesting stuff with the source material. Complete redesigns of weapons, characters, and levels make this game completely detached from the original. Some would say that's a great thing. I personally don't.

As I said at the start, I just cannot call this game anything other than disappointing. There was so much potential, but it was utterly wasted here. At every single opportunity.
  66. QOO
    Nov 16, 2013
    Rise of The Triad is a very broken game, but it has some fun included in it. It's pretty mixed, so I'll give my two cents. Pros: Fun, fast gameplay. Neat level design Cool weapons, like the Firebomb Great remastered soundtrack Quicksaves, finally. Cons: Multiplayer is empty. And I mean empty. Multiplayer also feels kinda tacked on. Performance issues. even with the patches, game is still laggy.
    A.I is dumb as bricks.
    Enemies blend in with the backgrounds, making it annoying to kill them.
    SP and MP both horribly unbalanced.
    Final boss battle glitches too often, makes the game almost unbeatable.

Overall, this game can be fun, but there are so many poor design choices, which you'll see. It makes me wonder sometimes, how some things could be screwed up so badly. Wait for a sale on this one.
  67. Jul 3, 2014
    I would not do this ever but i have to do it.

It's been almost a year now and they still have not patched this HORRIBLE performance issue. I re-installed this game to see if it finally would work without me having to manually mess with the .ini files to get good performance but no. I dropped everything to Low on that game launcher and it did just as terribly as if i had the settings on
    Ludicrious. I cannot beleive this and that is why i quit and uninstalled it. Rise of the Triad is exaclty the kind of game i would want, but i cannot beleive how they don't bother to freakin fix the game. it's great how we have lierally zero Arcade FPS nowadays, and this one that is actually Arcade FPS, wont be fixed. I cannot do anything else but give a zero to this game because i am so furious right now. Expand
  68. Jan 25, 2014
    Old Gameplay and i love it !!! i need just most quotes of the hero when he kill a guy i want immersion of the hero . Thank's interceptor for your first game
  69. Jul 12, 2014
    A nice throwback to the glory days of the FPS. Nice graphics, fast frantic gameplay, good soundtrack and attitude, what more could you ask for? Sis I mention that it's on sale via Steam right now for $2.99 USD ?!?!?! I see a lot of people crying about performance issues... all seem to be running AMD based rigs.... the truth is you get what you pay for. You can't really buy budget gear and expect top shelf performance.

I am running intel i7 and nvidia, no performance problems here... never are.

If you like the old school FPS scene, and would like some of that feel with modern graphics, this game is for you!

And just remember, intel/nvidia rules supreme in terms of performance and general compatibility, even if you have to go with gear that is a generation or two older, or used... it's still a better investment then going with AMD.. in my humble opinion.
  70. Aug 1, 2013

1. Mar 11, 2014
    Rise of the Triad is a faithful tribute to both the original game and to the FPS games of the nineties in general. Hopefully the technical issues will be patched out soon, though. [Nov 2013]
  2. Oct 31, 2013
    The soundtrack is the only good thing in the new Rise of the Triad.
  3. Sep 11, 2013
    Despite its constant punishment and inherently derivative nature, it stands apart from its modern-day competitors. Its appeal and its absurdity are one and the same.