8.5

1. May 30, 2013
    This game far exceeded my expectations. I'm a big fan of the Red Orchestra series, and just when I was starting to get bored of RO2, Rising storm comes along. AND IT'S AWESOME :D really immersive, gritty and realistic, it is really satisfying.
  2. May 30, 2013
    This game (or expansion really) accomplishes EVERYTHING that it sets out to do. Granted, the learning curve is high, particularly for those that come from more "arcade-style shooters" like CoD and Battlefield. But for those that stick with it Rising Storm has the power to terrify. Even as a player who has poured many hours into Red Orchestra 2 and Rising Storm I can say that this game still gives me that rush when I barely survive an artillery barrage. As the bullets fly you can't help dive for cover and pray you're not shot because very often, one shot is all it takes.

This is more than just a few maps as well! When you buy Rising Storm you also get Red Orchestra 2 rolled into it. In addition to all the maps in this game there is LOADS of free future content on the way! So for anyone that would like to play a realistic shooter that’s less buggy and more accessible than ARMA, Rising Storm/Red Orchestra 2 is the way to go!
    This is not a game for the light hearted. The weapons are true to life and the loadouts are as realistic as they come (expect to use a bolt-action rifle a lot).
  3. May 30, 2013
    This game for me is near perfect! Having played RO2:HOS from launch and hanging around long enough to see the mess of a release be polished into a hugely enjoyable experience I can safely say that I wont have to "hang around" this time as the polish on this game is already there! As some other reviews may indicate this game isn't for the tactically faint of heart. If run&gun game-play is what you crave look elsewhere as you will find yourself rage-quitting to "campers' you never see. But if you like joining a team, coordinating a flanking assault on an entrenched enemy position and feeling the satisfaction of a well-placed shot from a bolt action rifle over 150m smack into its target, then get inside! Some may well complain as to 'overpowered' flamethrowers, however these weapons are modelled on how they worked in actual conflict and add extra excitement and desperation almost like mini-bosses on the battlefield quickly focused down but able to break an enemy position with some luck. Banzai charges are pure thrill if done right as the Americans fall helplessly beneath the katanas and bayonets of imperial Japan. The core of the game though is teamwork, with a good server (and there are plenty around, shoutout to AU/NZ servers!) and good players you move in squads, coordinate flanking assaults with artillery strikes and charge through your squad leaders smoke cover to overwhelm the opposition! Some of the greatest thrills in gaming have been had in RO2 and Rising Storm only ups the ante. Only reason it wasn't perfect in my opinion was the lack of 'open' maps. These maps are great but are quite linear not allowing for full tactical flanking and freedom. Also the graphics while excellent probably dont hold up to the best new titles, but considering its an older unreal engine running this thing are pretty phenomenal and eye candy enough for me! If you feel like a more realistic playing experience with room for teamwork, gun-play that will leave you feeling a hero or lamenting that slight shift in your mouse as you clicked and a slower more tactical play-style. If not, this probably isn't your cup of tea (although i would recommend trying ti as you may well be converted) Expand
  4. May 30, 2013
    This game isn't a bf3 or cod clone. Running and gunning isn't recommended. If you have a problem with staying low, picking your shots, and getting sniped once and while this isnt the game for you. Bullets act like bullets, they fall and you need to lead. I'm giving this a 7 because its lack of game modes. I would of liked to seen a Search and destroy type game mode, a quality tdm with maps made for both modes, and lack of neutural maps (no one attacking or defending, just taking and trying to hold points). If you're not afraid to get shot, learn running and cover paths this is the game for you. Like all tripwire games, it has a learning curve. BANZI! Expand
  5. May 31, 2013
    I am having more fun playing RS than I have had in a long time it's just as simple as that. I enjoyed RO2 but this takes it to a new level asymmetrical warfare as it should be represented.
  6. May 30, 2013
    Rising Storm is a Pacific Front based game done perfectly. 2 factions which are both completely different with completely different tactics, unlike most games now where both teams have similar weapons or the exact same(battlefield, call of duty). Rising Storm just like Red Orchestra does have a learning curb so expect to die a lot, which is perfectly fine, the game takes time to master but is extremely rewarding. The amount of content for the cheap price is just generous on the developers part. The game is also moddable so expect free custom maps in the future and hopefully free content updates. Expand
  7. May 30, 2013
    The game isn't absolutely perfect, (I can't believe they have a restriction until Level 13 to play 'Realism' mode which is the real way to play the game) BUT it is a fantastic game with a great atmosphere. Can't beat the value on this one.
  8. Jun 4, 2013
    A good addition to Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad. While some of the annoying things carry over from the earlier series, most notably the infamous is the going prone and unable to deploy your weapon issues. The teams are asymmetric so you really feel the play-style differences. This game is brutal on realism servers but that is part of the appeal. Bullets whizzing by, the strange lighting and shadows on Guadalcanal, the shouts of Banzaii charges, the terror of facing a flame thrower, it's here. Notable lack is no functional armored units at all. One could have expected at least dug in Japanese tanks and Shermans or Stuarts for the Americans. Perhaps in the future. A good buy for brutal WW2 combat. Expand
  9. May 31, 2013
    Rising Storm has proven that they don't have to be shy in the market against competitions from juggernaut FPS titles like Crashed On Duty or Baffledfield, there's real authenticity about Rising Storm which notably stands out from your average shooters. Rising Storm has still room for improvement though, controls could've been better and maybe add in a couple of game modes. However, that being said, combat shines in Rising Storm, gameplay is awesome and addictive, credit to the developers for making such an amazing environment. Best $19.99 I've spent and a well deserved 9. Expand
  10. May 30, 2013
    If you do not like Red Orchestra 2 it is a nobrainer to stay the f away from this title.
    The game JUST released and it is a pure campfest, I ragequit and uninstalled this game after not even 2 hours gameplay, because it is just so painful to play...
    Guess if you are really into waiting all day till someone runs into your scope then go ahead, buy it.
    If you want some ACTUAL ACTION and an
    FPS that won't make you get brain tumors just don't support this...
    I see their approach to developing a realism-ish WWII-title but it is just plain and boring camping ALL THE TIME. (And don't expect any 'action' in the damn 'ACTION MODE!!!!', it's not action, it's just dreadful.)
  11. May 31, 2013
    Rising Storm is worth anyone's money for the sheer style and fluidity of its game-play, teams are asymmetric which sets out for an interesting experience playing as either allies or axis. The game itself is no picnic and is very punishing for those whom stray from their team in attempt to Rambo their way through a match. Its definitely filled a hole which was left from a certain Pacific Front themed fps from 2008 which has been abandoned by its publishers and left for hackers to run a mock. Expand
  12. May 31, 2013
    Great realistic first person shooter. Wonderful game for people who get bored playing easier games like Call of Duty or Battlefield 3. This game actually requires some time to learn and master. At $20, this game is a bargain.
  13. May 31, 2013
    This game is GREAT! but sadly your average COD BF3 player would not understand the learning curve, and how much better this game really is. I hope the Devs make lots of money and produce more of this material
  14. May 31, 2013
    Tripwire Interactive decided to reinvent and remaster its already near perfect Red Orchestra 2 Heroes of Stalingrad by releasing Rising Storm. The levels of realism in its Rising Storm is absolutely phenomenon and its approach to the level of details is astonishing. From its spot-on and accurate implementation of the weapons in the game to its tense and heart pounding gameplay, you're sure to experience a sense of achievement and accomplishment every time when kill an enemy upon releasing the trigger. All in all, Tripwire Interactive nails the game in every aspects from its sound design, atmosphere and gameplay mechanics. However, the only gripe upon playing the beta was the far respawn points allocated in the game, which was kind of a hassle due to the unnecessary distance. Players who appreciate realism in video game will definitely love this game due to its authenticity. Fret not, action-based players can also have fun and experience its action mode which offers a toned down level of realism, for example, visible crosshairs and a more forgiveable bullet impact. Expand
  15. May 31, 2013
    After complete failure of the year which is know as Red Orchestra 2, TWI promised to fix the game, and add content that was supposed to be in the game. The game was rushed. It was released too early, and TWI wanted to get more players in it. First RO was not for everyone. We all know, the level of difficulty, the game mechanics, and everything else. Its not one of those "run n gun" games. As I already wrote, TWI wanted to get more COD like, and BF like players in the game, and they changed the game, despite strong NO from the loyal RO community. They added couple game types, which hardly anyone give a about. The only new players that come to the game, are those who play during the "free weekend", once its over, players are gone. TWI not only betrayed loyal fans, but also couldnt get more run n gun kids to the game. Then, they realized, that they are in rather bad condition. RO2 had no support, so they focused on something else.. on Rising Storm, which was supposed to be something cool, but it didnt work out. What else can you expect after a company, that fails in everything it does? I dont expect anything. Rising Storm is worth nothing. Couple maps, couple weapons, and new skins, at the price of a new game. Pathetic. They changed menu, and everything in the game, and you have this huge button BUY Rising Storm in front of your face. Expand
  16. May 31, 2013
    i recommend this great game. it is loads of fun to play for countless hours. way better than the original red orchestra 2! The only thing that I really do not like is that the maps are a bit linear. I prefer original Battlefield 1942 style maps with multiple flags scattered througohut the map that you have to independently capture and hold. i also would like to see them add more maps and some vehicles. sadly red orchestra 2 really fell short when it comes to having support for vehicles. Expand
  17. Jun 1, 2013
    This game is absolutely great, the graphics are good, the gameplay is realistic and smooth, you can choose between more arcadeish gamemodes or realistic gamemodes. This game is also great for teamwork.
  18. Jun 1, 2013
    Love this installment of Red orchestra! the atmosphere in this one is top notch! there is nothing like taking over a building with a squad full of banzai rushers! Good job tripwire, while other companies have drifted away from their community, you have remained loyal and certainly delivered!
  19. Jun 1, 2013
    If you liked Stalingrad you'll love this. Has met and exceeded all my expectations so far. The mechanics are basically the same but battles are fought on a tighter scale.
  20. Jun 1, 2013
    I love tactical, intense, (semi-) realistic shooters such as Project Reality, Arma....and Red Orchestra. Insurgency (a mod for HL2) got me into this whole world of tactical shooters, my second game of this kind was Red Orchestra 1. Now i'm playing Rising Storm, and it's really great, and totally satisfies me gameplay- and graphicswise. If you like slow paced, intense gameplay, where one bullet can already cause your death (if you don't keep your head down), large infantry Assaults/ brutal Banzai charges, nice and thoughtful gameplay features, then this is the game for you. Give it a try, the Devs deserve your support, just for taking risk to make something what's not casual. The fact that it's not even a full-prized game makes it even more attractive to me. People are always moaning that there are too many mainstream/casual games, and that they need something completely different, something new. Ladies and gentlemen, here is your game, so give it a chance Expand
  21. Jun 1, 2013
    RO2 without(at this present time) an armour component. Set in the Pacific theater. No pine trees, you get palms now. No broken English/Deutsche or English/Russian. Now its Japanese, or broken English/Septic.

RS is squarely set as a priority multi player unit. Single player is available via a convoluted process of looking for it in the multi player menu. Under STEAM WORKSHOP. with the
    option to set up bot matches with dull scripted AI. A separate RO2 singleplayer app can be downloaded as well.

The RS component can be found in your Steam Menu as" Rising Storm/Red Orchestra 2 Multi Player. This combine the two so as that RO2 and RS owners can join the same servers with the least fuss. However. Not purchasing RO2 means RS players join with limited options for weapons and classes. And vice versa for those that haven't bought RS.

as stated elsewhere. This is not the game for those that enjoy twitch gaming. COD and Battlefield enthusiast be warned. This one involve tactics extra teamwork and patience.

On the whole. This expansion to Red Orchestra 2. Is a cut down to it's previous titles. With reason. Armoured combat in the Pacific is less often use compared to the land lock battle of the eastern front. As such thhe scope is smaller, as are the maps.

Sadly. However much work has gone into these maps. They are extremely dated. Foliage and water and structure barely move, or are affected by the chaos around them.

Player models are also sadly. Dull.

If this title were to be judged on merits alone. It would be a worthy 7.5

But it is marred by it's production houses lack of ethics.

Read your fine print before purchase. and contact TripWire Interactive before payment.

They feel the have the right to delete content without your permission.
  22. Jun 1, 2013
    This game takes everything that was good about Red Orchestra 2 and refines it. Really visceral feeling kills and just the right amount of strategy without feeling too confused and chaotic. The balance is really something to behold as well, I enjoy playing the banzai'ing Japanese just as much as the heavy gunning Americans. I've been in a couple of games where one side just completely over powers the other side, but it doesn't really hurt the experience because deaths don't feel cheap at all in this game like they do in other shooters; you'll know why you got shot when you get shot. Definitely recommend this game as a shooter fan and a Tripwire Interactive fan. Expand
  23. May 31, 2013
    Ok for starters this is a game that only fits a certain kind of player If that is you then you will like it. This is is a perfect match of tactical ww2 play Based off the RO2 game You actually get RO2 MP for free when you purchase Rising Storm. When i say tactical i do not mean arma 2 tactical but close Adjustable sights bullet drop, cover etc But is also disabled by choice in some servers I say if you like RO2 then you should like this. I personally have owned RO2 since it was released and didn't like RO2 But love this. This is the game i have been looking for The kind you have trouble wanting to get off.Which i have not found on PC since COD4 as in the 1st Modern warfare. Expand
  24. May 31, 2013
    This is one of the most messy releases I have seen for a PC game. awkwardly squishing a beta into an existing game, and you can tell that its STILL A BETA with how awkwardly Rising Storm was mashed into RO2, along with all the issues from the beta still being a problem. The game is now this weird frankenstein, with mixed fonts and missing content. I am disappointed in you Tripwire. I expected better from you guys. I thought this was supposed to be a 1.0 release, not a 0.5 release.

Rising Storm is considered an "add-on" of sorts to RO2. If you own RO2, you can play all the Rising Storm maps, except you are limited to only playing as a Rifleman and can only use either the Springfield M1903, or the Arisaka Type 38. You cannot level up in any way, and no stats are saved.

There are a ton of issues in the Beta version of Rising storm, and ALL of them are in the "full release". for example, there are random issues with being considered "out of bounds", and the out of bounds message will be permanent until it either kills you or you die, even if you run back in bounds. not just that, but there is a ton of text that does not show up correctly either, with all the syntax there.

Tripwire, what happened to you? Please actually properly finish your projects before releasing them. Also, it seems like Tripwire is almost synonymous to buggy games and releases now.

Oh, and even though they mashed RO2 and RS together, they are still considered separate games in the Steam store, which will further confuse RO2 and RS players.

RO2 was a buggy mess, and they never really addressed many major bugs that really kill the enjoyment of the game. TWI promised that they would "fix" the issues with RS along with improve the game... instead we get this even MORE buggy mess that you can tell is a quickly hacked together attempt at shoving more content into the game. At least the majority of game breaking bugs were mostly ironed out in RO2 by this point, and the game is enjoyable as long as the bugs dont act up.

I thought TWI was more consumer centric than this. They showed a ton of potential with RO1 and Killing Floor, but this... this is just pathetically shameless how little they seem to care about both their products and their customers with this kind of release.
  25. Jun 29, 2013
    I bought the uncut version game of the game. It is still requiring Steam and it is cut now! I want the full game experience and not some crippled paternalized version! That's a No Go for me: 0 points!
  26. Jun 9, 2013
    Haha :D Arcade shooters won't like this.
  27. Jun 1, 2013
    It's very interesting to see a game that doesn't attempt to balance the two teams through monotony, the Japanese and American teams are truly different experiences when played correctly, the all out firepower of even the rifleman class on the American team is a joy to mess around with, whilst the quiet satisfaction of booby trap kills and all out intensity of banzai charges (coupled with the in game VOIP) make this a truly incredible experience.

If you enjoyed RO2, you'll LOVE this, and if the issue with RO2 was its slow pace or the game breaking bugs present on release, fear not, RS delivers in both those areas.

A must have for fans of high risk high reward shooters with incredible immersion to boot.
  28. Jun 1, 2013
    A solid and innovative addition to the RO series, Rising storm is obscenely entertaining and rewarding. Building upon the solid foundation of RO2, RS has its own unique style, and depth, based around the development team's pioneering of features that balance out, and funnify asymmetrical warfare. From desperate banzai charges, to Flame-throwers raining hell on Bunkers and trenches, improvised booby traps.. The combat is fierce and filled with mayhem. What's amazing is that for all the chaos of the battlefield the game remains cogent, balanced and the deep strategical gameplay remains intact.

Other Note: For players who, understandably ditched RO2's messy launch and buggy history, Tripwire has really ironed things out.
  29. Jun 4, 2013
    Rising Storm is the best experience you can have online as FPS so far. Great value package with the first Red Orchestra 2 gift as bonus, servers are merged and you can switch between two wonderful scenarios. Unfortunately the first RO2 was released with some minor problem, now Rising Storm is a full relaunch product. An astonishing indie game that doesn't have nothing less than triple A like Battlefield or Call Of duty. Awesome price also, you can buy for a ridicolous price on steam. Expand
  30. Jun 8, 2013
    This game can be pretty intimidating at first and you'll probably die a lot before you even see enemy soldiers. It's really based more on knowledge than raw skill. You don't need to have good twitch reflexes (though they can help) to be a good player. You need to know how the maps work, where your team needs you most, when to move, and how to not die. Generally one side attacks and one side defends. It is crucial to coordinate with your team, especially while attacking. There definitely seems to be a strong correlation between how many knowledgeable guys on your team are using microphones and how often your team wins. If somebody says "Everybody needs to bonzai charge the cap zone NOW!" you'll be surprised how quickly 20 or so Japanese soldiers are screaming into the smoke straight into the cap. You don't need to use a mic yourself, but you'd be wise to listen at least some of the time to your teammates advice (don't worry about the crazy guy that is screaming nonsense at his computer).

Overall it's a very fun game but has it's problems. Single player is pretty much non-existent if you care about that, the movement feels a little clunky and can be awkward when a player interacts with the level geometry. They unnecessarily split up the game into "action" and "realism" modes when it's obvious this game caters to the realism audience. It lacks some polish, but it's not a $60 huge budget game so that's to be expected. There could be more maps and more vehicles, especially the latter which have been neglected since the first RO.

All in all, a good game at a good price. 8.5/10
  31. Jul 6, 2013
    Rising Storm is a realistic, multiplayer only, first person shooter set in the pacific theatre. It has set the standard of first person shooters for me. As soon as I entered the game, I was thrown into a immersive world, where artillery shells were being called down near my position, the commander was barking orders to the squad leaders and the Americans were pushing us back.

There are
    two opposing factions in this game. The Axis represented by the Japanese and the allied forces represented by the United States of America. Each side has specific classes and features that make their faction good at a specific field. For instance the Japanese can deploy mobile knee mortar units, while the Americans have the flamethrower. The Japanese can banzai charge, bringing the morale of the Americans down while they get rushed. The Americans I believe can do suppressing fire which brings down morale. These are nice differences that when executed correctly can bring victory to either side.

There are four different squads, each composed of different classes. Each squad has a squad leader, which squad members can spawn on. There is one commander, which can call artillery strikes and recon. The commander is basically playing a strategy game, although it’s in first person and other players might not listen to his commands. This leads to a sense of realism, as other players are dealing with their own problems or might be too cowardly to charge a position.

The game also gave me a sense of importance, because of the emphasis in being in a squad. While you’re unable to be a lone wolf, or kill the entire opposing team with ease, the feeling of being important is very much apparent. It’s a nice feeling going in, and it’s what keeps me coming back for more.

The emphasis on team work is brutal. You either work as a team, or you lose the match. There is no getting by that. It’s one of the best features in the game, but also one of the worst. It’s incredibly frustrating when a commander doesn’t have a mic, or the squad leaders don’t know what they’re doing. Even more so annoying is when a commander does not listen to anyone on his team. If you’re going to be in a leader position, please have a mic.

The graphics are some of the most aesthetically pleasing I've seen, and even on the lower settings the game is just as functional although bland looking. The game could use some optimization in this area though. I often don't feel like I'm getting the best experience with my hardware, and sometimes there just seems to be some slow downs. On other computers, the game looks amazing.

Overall, this is one of the best first person shooters I have played if not the best. It's for a specific gamer, that values teamwork and realistic gameplay.
  32. Jun 8, 2013
    The best FPS of the Pacific theater currently on the market. Playing Iwo Jima as an American really brings out the horrible slaughter our Marines faced on that island. Check it out.
    `swamp
  33. Jun 4, 2013
    Essentially a more polished version of RO2, with a lot more opportunities for combat and less wasted space. This is a terrific expansion to the game and the maps are stunning, especially Iwo Jima. Definitely worth the price.
  34. Jun 8, 2013
    This is a fantastic multiplayer FPS. The kills feel very rewarding, and even the basic rifles give you a strong feeling of power. The wave respawn is brilliant, and the factions are varied. This is a true hardcore experience.
  35. Jun 19, 2013
    This game is amazing value for its price! great realistic and gritty game and its fun to play. just do not expect it to play out like call of duty, otherwise you are going to die a lot.
  36. Jun 21, 2013
    An awesome standalone expansion for RO2! This is a great realistic FPS and it has a completely different feel to RO2 as the RO2 maps where based in towns and citys while Rising Storm maps are based in jungles and beaches. The weapons in this game change everything as you can plant trap grenades while playing as the Japanese while US troops have the terrifying flamethrowers that have great fire physics!

Overall this is worth your money especially if you liked RO2 (Red Orchestra 2)
  37. Jun 9, 2013
    They nailed it when they made this expansion pack. This is by far one of the most realistic, thrilling, and fun shooters set in the pacific to date. The detail they put into the level design alone is fantastic. Everything feels very polished and cared for and you won't find many issues running the game on the higher to highest settings even with a midrange computer. You won't regret buying this game. Expand
  38. Sep 26, 2013
    This game is AMAZING. The cover system in this game is fantastic and it's intense. You'll find yourself taking cover more than just running around like a moron and shooting randomly. It requires teamwork and overall, in my opinion, this is by far the best FPS game I've played. Sure, I have played BF3 but that game is just different comparing to this game. For those of you who have this game and is reading this, please do play on realism or classic because this game was meant for those 2 modes. Not Action. Expand
  39. Jun 3, 2013
    This expansion can be described with just one word: amazing!

This is, by far, the best multiplayer FPS available. It's ambience, intensity, hunger for discipline,makes this game a winner among its genre.

I'm not a veteran yet, but I already have around 350 hours of play (counting RO2:HOS and RS), and newcomers must know that the game starts to be very frustrating. You'll die a lot,
    most of the times without even knowing what hit you, but if you really give the game a chance, you'll start getting better and get pleasure from every kill, every successfull run to cover or any other little thing that makes this game different.

Forget this if you want a no-brainer fast paced shooter, you'll hate it.

I don't give it a 10 because I believe it can be even better. It has some occasional bugs and/or glitches that can get you upset in the heat of the action, but those are rare, forgivable and I think Tripwire will get a hand on it sooner or later. Oh, another "con": with the release of RS, HOS maps are being left behind and I would hate to see that been extended in time, because HOS is equally brilliant.

Amazing franchise.
  40. Jun 4, 2013
    This is a great game! Sure it takes a bit of practice in realism mode but its well worth the effort. Unlike initial release of RO2:HOS this game is very polished... Excellent job Tripwire!
  41. Jun 4, 2013
    Rising Storm bring the FPS multiplayer in a new field, where you can hear bullets flying in the air, where suppression can kill you. This game is absolutely amazing, nothing to do with other FPS out there. An unique experience, I can just say: buy this game and play on the battlefield now.
  42. Jun 5, 2013
    This game is beautiful. In my opinion, it is more immersive than Red Orchestra 2 and the jungles, the new features, such as mortars and flamethower make this game very funny.
  43. Jun 8, 2013
    This game is awesome. It is the best multilayer game i have ever played. I really like the banzai charge system and the weapons are fun to use. For 20$ you can't beat the deal and if you have the previous game you get extra 25% off. It is worth your investment
  44. Jun 17, 2013
    Fresh addition to RO franchise, realistic but yet unforgiven gameplay and combat system. Wonderfull graphics, surprisingly superb team balance thanks to differnet weapons on each side.
    But the best of all are the maps, big enough and full of variety of combat approach.
    Tripwire you showed us u can do perfect jungle warfare, now what about Vietnam War game?
  45. Jun 22, 2013
    I've played this game solidly since release, and enjoying it immensely. Yes, the learning curve is steep, but a lot of that can be alleviated by bot practice initially via the Steam Workshop to learn the choke points, objective routes and the cover system. Then you can step up to an online server with a few humans and padded out with bots; this will let you make far more mistakes (and believe me, you'll make a lot) than an all-human server.

I'm a big fan of the Flamethrower; I ran as a pyro in TF2 and the role is very similar. Learning the ins and outs of this particular weapon in training is a must. Both online and off, bots will insta-forgive any teamkills, but human players won't be so respectful of your noobishness. I learned the range of the flame and how to bunker-bust effectively in Steam Workshop and then went to low player-count servers and finally ones with no bots. Now past Honour Level 50, I've unlocked the M12 shotgun which makes the Flamethrower guy a much more effective close combat specialist, as the supply of fuel runs out rapidly once you start inviting the entire Imperial Japanese Army to your barbecue.

The best map in the entire Rising Storm collection is easily Iwo Jima. Working your way up into gullies from the beach, creeping over ridgelines while dodging sniper fire, suppressing bunkers and snap-shooting enemies as they round rocks in a Banzai charge It's an absolute rush. You'll thank me for my earlier advice re. offline practice when you hit the final Command Bunker. Rush in Pyro style, blindfire or start lobbing grenades in, and Team Chat will rapidly fill with: "WTF???" Or far worse as you cook/frag/shoot your own guys. It's a killfest, but requires a degree of subtlety and nuance not to rack up as many teamkills as enemy.

My main gripes with the game are that the asymmetrical weapon balance built into the game is realistic, but still the Japanese knee mortar feels a little nerfed and is no real compensation for an Allied Flamethrower Guy, especially one with a 12 gauge little friend. The unlock system is a little confusing, as by reckoning I should have gotten the Allied tommy gun by now for the Axis Assault soldier but it's not forthcoming. I'm running the game with all low settings on a 6 year old laptop no problems, which is an indication of how the game can be de-prettied. However, it also reveals its bare functional guts, and it's oh so 2003.
  46. Jun 13, 2013
    I've died like thousands of times from bullets, grenades, friendly fire and artillery and every time it's infuriating not to know where on the map my assassin got me from. In action mode you get a camshot which indicates the area of the soldier that took you out, but on realism mode you just have to put up with the fact that every few seconds, or minutes if you're lucky, you WILL DIE! But then again, you can hit back too, and there's something really fun about only having a few bullets in a bolt-action rifle between you and and a banzai-charging Japanese soldier, trying desperately to defend his little islands. Having not played the original, Stalingrad, I can only really compare this to BF3. It's a less polished experience, but the maps are fantastic and just totally addictive. I've also had no issues with the servers. It's relatively quick and easy to find a game and lag is there, but not too bad. A pleasant surprise! Expand
  47. Jun 14, 2013
    Rising Storm is far more polished than RO2 and for the one who likes RO2, Rising Storm will be great. Rising Storm does however keep being a game that mixes RO1 with Battlefield/Cod (or most other modern shooters), with very fast paced gameplay, ''combar area warning'' all over, avatars that shout curses all the time to give away your position, unlocks, perks, spawn on squadleader, and a command radial that you see in console games, and so forth. RO1 is a lot better with way more content. RO2 has to increase the realism and freedom. Expand
  48. Jan 13, 2014
    I've got to admit, I'm disappointed. I bought this in Beta, as I love RO2, but over all the maps are terrible and uninspired, and even though they added some guns, they are only usable on the terrible maps, and thus useless. The gameplay is essentially the same, fun RO2 gameplay as before, same dreadful servers, same tense fun as before. Not worth buying. Get RO2, it's way better.
  49. Jun 14, 2013
    Amazing ultra realistic shooter! Incredibly cheap as well, it goes for the low low price of 18€ :)
    The graphics are great, it's incredibly addictive, the only downside I have found to experience is that there are no vehicles.
  50. Jun 10, 2013
    Great ww2 tactical fps, it's a must have for all the fun of this kind of game but warning is not like COD it's more like ARMA we play in group and enjoi the feel of the battlefield so mutch
  51. Aug 26, 2013
    When Red Orchestra 2 was released it was met with hyper negativity from the RO community. Eventually the developers modified the game to fit better with the mechanics that were popular in the previous version. Rising Storm takes all those elements and adds improved overall gameplay. COD kiddies stay away.
  52. Nov 7, 2013
    This game still need a lot of polishing, but is great anyway. If you are a huge Cod fan who cannot play anything else, this game will not be your cup of tea, though I welcome you to try it out and improve your skills. Anyway, this game is just as awesome as RO2, and there are a lot of never-seen-before weapons suchas the katana. There are also lots of innovations in this game, such as Bandai charging and planting booby traps. Kills feel very satisfying and rewarding, especially with the katana. I will reccomend this game to CS and battlefield players. Well done Tripwire! You did it again! Expand
  53. Sep 5, 2013
    This game really is very excellent, I give it 10 because despite the flaws (that may have gotten a game less in the past), this is just heads and tails above every other online FPS game in terms of PC tradition of attempted realism, with the only possible exception I can think of being Arma 2.

It plays rather tough, it is actually despite what some people say similar to COD on hardcore
    modes, like world at wars bolt servers for example, I say this from my perspective, so it is still essentially quite an acradey fps when compared to a slower paced game like Arma 2, which is what I needed really as Arma 2 is a difficult one to get into and rarely offers any PVP (I think these guys are playing DayZ).

The thing is for enjoyable online ritual, people appreciate a certain level of interaction, so this game offers a lot of fast action, you won't need to wait long before shooting the enemy, but a stalemate can develop fast causing the pace to slow and present strategic opportunity.

So compared to RO2, also a masterpiece which I am hard pressed to decide between, the real contrast is the upped power level of all the US weapons mainly, from the get go. The Japanese are actually a bit unfortunate here, indeed even a Jap victory online seems a bit more satisfying.... of course this imbalance is one of the things we enjoy about the series, also the maps themselves are asymmetric.... I find this a bold design decision in the making of the series.

The satisfaction of role playing from both perspectives is again thrilling. An example of the firepower advantage the Americans have is the flame-thrower and also a tonne of semi automatic rifles (every rifelman the most prolific class has an M1), whereas most of the poor japs have bolt rifles (but they have bayonets from the off!). Also the only light automatic Jap firepower is a rather rare smg simulating the resources. As you can imagine it plays epic, it even gets you thinking about the stark contrast of attitudes when these cultures met.

My only complaints are some awkward movement issues getting stuck on things again... but essentially what we have and mostly missed by everyone here, is an attempt to really get asymmetric warfare going by controlling classes and equipment, it really works very very well online
  54. Oct 29, 2013
    Rising storm is a lot of fun and you get to play as the japs during world war 2. What else do i need to say? buy it now! and it is more fun than RO2 the map design is awesome and the weapons feel and sound great Its an all around improvement over ro2
  55. Nov 8, 2013
    My problem with this game is the lack of game modes, and lack of servers with people in them. The game is fairly interesting and takes a lot of caution when playing. Running and gunning will get you no where, and t you will often die from people at a range. It was a fun break from other FPS games, but it personally didn't have the staying power that other games have. Thought it was decent though, and would recommend it to people that would like a new game in the multiplayer FPS genre. Expand
  56. Nov 23, 2013
    Rising Storm is, by far, a very well-rounded game. The asymmetrical warfare between the gun-toting Americans and the banzai-charging Japanese makes for numerous strategies to be deployed by both sides. Unlike usual first-person shooters, Rising Storm, like its predecessor, Red Orchestra 2, boasts an off-center aiming system, non-regenerative health system, and various other features that forces players to play tactically and as a team in order to successfully win. Along with the ability to play the original Red Orchestra 2, free downloadable content, Rising Storm definitely is worth its current $20 price tag. Although it suffers from the occasional glitches, bulky and somewhat unresponsive movement system, and current lack of maps, Rising Storm shouldn't be deterred much from them. As long as new updates, fixes, and free content continues to come along, Rising Storm will definitely be a worthwhile game for those interested in tactical first-person shooters. Be prepared to die often and wait in somewhat long spawn timers when you start. Expand
  57. Dec 30, 2013
    I think this game is pretty good and it's graphics are very good but it is too demanding like a lot of people have said. Buy it if you like World War 2 style games but if not I suggest you stay away from Red Orchestra's and Rising Storm
  58. Jan 27, 2014
    Excellent game. Realism, very good maps and the community of players make you feel like a real soldier on the front. Playability is huge and mapping of real weapons, equipment and troops is outstanding.
    The graphics aren't the most important thing in this type of games, according to me the graphics are good enough. The sound is beautiful. The only issue I had with the servers with
    PunkBuster, my sound card (Realtek) crashes on such servers. Only solution is to replace this **** card or satisfaction of the servers without PunkBuster which are also. Expand
  59. Feb 14, 2014
    I played 33 hours of this game and found no flaws, it seems like the negative reviews are saying that the full game just wasn't out, so they **** about it.

1. Aug 9, 2013
    Rising Storm may not be as intuitive as other similar titles or contain an extensive amount of content, yet it provides one of the more intensive and brutal multiplayer experiences on the market today.
  2. Jul 12, 2013
    This is refreshingly different from run of the mill action like Call of Duty. Even after the engine update it isn’t pretty, but what it lacks in beauty it makes up for with striking realism and a tense atmosphere.
  3. Jul 11, 2013
    Probably one of the best online FPS games with a WWII setting. This stand-alone expansion of Red Orchestra 2 is a must buy for fans of online shooters.