8.0

1. Nov 10, 2014
    This game is a great learning tool, and will teach you to learn guitar. Fear not, if you have an electric guitar, and you put in the time, you will learn to play songs. And it's new method is great at keeping you practicing. The game comes with a Chord, which you plug into your game system and then play to learn. You can also buy song packs from many popular bands, to learn even moreThis game is a great learning tool, and will teach you to learn guitar. Fear not, if you have an electric guitar, and you put in the time, you will learn to play songs. And it's new method is great at keeping you practicing. The game comes with a Chord, which you plug into your game system and then play to learn. You can also buy song packs from many popular bands, to learn even more songs.

Lag was a serious issue for me, after I owned the game about 3 months. It seemed random and eventually got to the point where I couldn't even finish a song. I tried the recommended set ups, but nothing really seemed to fix the issue. Until, I saw an old post that told me how to install the game to my 360's hard drive. Believe it or not, that seems to have solved all of the latency issues. Zero crashes since I installed it to my hard drive.

As a game it is a 10. As it is the cheapest method to learn how to play guitar and it really works (even for a lefty). I gave it a 5 because of the frustration in finding out that the best way to solve the latency, and thus crashing issues was to install the disc to my 360's hard drive. I have owned the game about 11 months now. And once installed to your hard drive, it is fantastic. Sadly I took me 10 1/2 months to find out it needs to be installed to the hard drive. So I recommend, just skipping having to use a game disc and buying it from the Xbox Store, as a digital copy. I hope my 3rd revision and review on this game will help my fellow gamer's and guitar enthusiasts to not go through the latency frustration and wasted learning time I went though.

The game is great, buy it if you want to learn to play guitar. Just install it to your hard drive. And since the Xbox One forces you to install games to the hard drive, you shouldn't have any lag issues on it. Although using a different sound system than your game console is highly recommended. I.E. surround sound, or a stereo.
  2. Jul 2, 2014
    Without a doubt, Rocksmith 2014 is a good software to practice the guitar in a fun and addictive way. Plus the lessons dispense all the theoretical basics needed for beginer.

But the poor sound captation qualitiy and the too permissive system made the experience respectively frustrating and superficial. Frustrating when you try hard to play a riff as perfect as possible and you got

Frustrating when you try hard to play a riff as perfect as possible and you got it half wrong cause the game don't capture your palm muted chord, and finally forced you to play clear chords to be sure not to fail.

Superficial when you realize it's not able to distinguish any nuance, and when playing notes out of time is not sanctioned (as opposed to GH or Rockband). As a result, if you want 100% accuracy on a song, it's quite easy: just play all notes clear (no muting nor ghost notes) using tremolo picking method from beginning to end.

So, a good game to practice with fun, and learn some songs quickly. But a wrong choice to really learn to play the guitar and practice seriously and rigorously.
  3. Mar 5, 2015
    So Ken Block is to Code Masters then Gideon Emery is to RockSmith. Rocksmith starts of shiny and quickly losses its appeal. As a total beginner I thought that RS2014 would be the answer, dumb it down to the musically dumb... Perfect! But it is far from perfect and still needs more work to even be considered as instructional!

UbiSmith claims: “Rocksmith is the fastest way to learn

UbiSmith claims: “Rocksmith is the fastest way to learn guitar”
    Correction: “Rocksmith is the fastest way to be upset while learning guitar”

There are a lot of good features in RockSmith 2014, and yet it is missing the most basic tool when learning an instrument. What the developers of a Video Game have done, is what they do best … made a video game.

This isn’t an instructional tool. Its biggest flaw is the missing TABs (what my noob self would have called the music sheet.) Rocksmith assumes that you are a novice user assuming you have being playing guitar for at least 2-3 months+. Often assuming that you can keep up the pace, and if you can’t “ce est votre problème, ce ne est pas mon problème.” This leads to the constant stopping and starting which means you spend more than half your time on your mouse/controller rather than you guitar. A truly frustrating experience.

Of course you can change speeds and other little tricks, but still for the beginner this is a useless tool. I went to the forums and suggested an idea and the general consensus was that Rocksmith could use and added feature, but won’t be coming to 2014 edition. After a bit of debate I realise that it need a music sheet.

So I took to the internet looking for a solution which I found in Guitar Pro or TuxGuitar which creates music sheets (Tabs) of the songs you are playing. Suddenly Rocksmith became really useful, as I could learn the whole song gently in my own pace with Guitar Pro or TuxGuitar and come back to RockSmith to learn the song and its timings. The track in the back ground help with you building a mental picture of how the song should sound while keeping it highly entertaining, ironically what Guitar Pro or TuxGuitar are missing as features.

Rocksmith makes learning the guitar entertaining, but only if you know how to play the guitar in the first place. While I can’t say that it’s bad, I can say there is room for improvement! If Rocksmith, Guitar Pro, and TuxGuitar collaborated then I could see the final result being the all-time best tool for learning the guitar.

But the biggest crime here, is Ubisoft and their customer relations. I sent off a suggestion to them and still a month later have yet to receive even an acknowledgement of the email. As a customer how can you endorse a company that completely blanks you as worthless? It seems standard practise for Ubisoft “This is your problem, this is not my Problem.” just seems to ring too true… which such a shame.

Update:
    I emailed my suggestion (the above) to Ubisoft on the 24/01/2015 @ 15:58.
    This review I posted today (05/03/2015 at roughly 1:30pm).
    I got a email reply today (05/03/2015 @ 15:13) for my suggestion. It was a basic thank you for your suggestion and was all they needed to do.

1. Dec 25, 2013
    Rocksmith doesn't make learning the guitar easier. It does, however, make it more fun. [Jan 2014, p.85]
  2. Dec 5, 2013
    Rocksmith 2014 is not just a fun game for guitar players, but the best way to learn how to play guitar or improve your technique. [Jan 2014, p.68]
  3. Nov 8, 2013
    By itself, as just a game for someone that has no interest in learning guitar, it’s probably no more or less engaging than past rhythm games, but for those who dream of shredding, I can’t think of a better starting point.