7.9

1. Jun 29, 2013
    Expect to win the game about as frequently as in vanilla Nethack. RL offers a challenging, fun, casual (hardcore-casual, though!) experience. You can pick the game up, head off and die a few times, then set it down and go do something else the dying actually serves the game very well to break the overall game up into bite-size chunks.

In RL, you're effectively grinding the game to get

In RL, you're effectively grinding the game to get gear, stats, and abilities for the "over-game" which is the point in which you actually have a shot in Hell of getting through to the final area. There are a few glitches here and there, usually which'll kill you by, for example, having a character apparently undecided if he's on or off a ledge, so he can't jump but dying is fun.

RL adds quite a bit of fun easter egg type content throughout the castles to ensure things are always fresh, and that you always want to explore. The best part about this content is that it's very rare. You can die 50 times and never see more than a small handful of the "fun" rooms, so the freshness of these unique rooms doesn't wear off quickly like if you were seeing repeats so often, they become "normal."

I would say, if you like games similar to Binding of Isaac or Nethack, you'll appreciate the intentional imbalance in this game.
  2. Jun 26, 2014
    I don't know why, but I'm addicted to this game. Is an old style platform with many modern elements that make it a joy to play.From the beginning to the end is probably too frustrating, but then you have that particular session in which everything goes right, and you feel you are playing one of the best games ever.
    I think it deserves a sequel with a bigger environment, now the levels
    I think it deserves a sequel with a bigger environment, now the levels graphic is flat and boring.
  3. Jun 29, 2013
    Rogue Legacy is a fantastic game that combines the classic action-platforming style (and look) of Castlevania & Ghosts & Ghouls with a modern compulsion based structure that is as clever and innovative as it is challenging.

The game is far from easy, designed to be a "Rogue-Like" game where upon each death, you have to start over and delve once again into the randomly generated castle.

However, Cellar Door Games have lightened this hardcore feature in a creative and intelligent way through their Lineage System, allowing a sense of advancement and progression in a game fundamentally about perma-death and skill runs.

Upon each death, you are asked to choose an heir to your legacy. Your heir inherits the gold collected on your previous runs and can use it to upgrade Castle Components for new classes and permanent benefits, Forge New Weapons and Armor with statistical upgrades and powers and Enchant Runes that slot into each piece of equipment which grant you important skills to customize your character to your play style. All these upgrades carry forward to each heir in succession, slowly growing your legacy and power and allowing you to more quickly dispatch enemies and make more and more progress.

Humorous randomly assigned Traits (some cosmetic, some debilitating, some extremely beneficial) keep things fresh and endearingly hilarious on each run. This allows you to stay invested until your skills are good enough that the challenge of the level matches your understanding of the system and you to begin to use strategy to plan our your next assault choosing the hero with the class, traits or spells that would best suit your next run's goals.

Secret Areas, Chests and Skill Based Challenges make each new room of the castle an intriguing surprise as you hope for another armor blueprint, magic rune, or pile of gold that will allow you to purchase more upgrades and finally defeat that next ridiculous boss that has haunted you for generations.

The game's nostalgia value, smooth, simple controls and delightful humor draw you in, and it's upgrade and advancement system keeps you eagerly playing. The game overall is an impressive, innovative and rewarding title and aside from the difficulty, there is little not to like about this incredible indie game.
  4. Jun 27, 2013
    Great game, hard difficulty, alot of replay and a huge upgrade system.
    Great game, hard difficulty, alot of replay and a huge upgrade system.
    My only complaint is you upgrade certain types of charas (knights, mages, or barbarians) and the game still won't let you specifically pick that type. So you die and get a knave (nothing at all) a bard and a mage, but you've been leveling knights.... Basically you're gonna just spawn, run into castle and die because playing that class is pointless. This add nothing to my fun at all, huge downside for me. Going to try and get either cheats, or a mod to fix it.
  5. Jul 1, 2013
    I normally hate games that have unforgiving learning curves and an element of randomness to them, but this game, for some reason, has been incredibly addictive to me. I will play it for an hour or two, then give up, feeling sick of it, only to come back after an hour for another round. It's hard, but it's fair, and once you learn what does and does not work for you, it gets much better.I normally hate games that have unforgiving learning curves and an element of randomness to them, but this game, for some reason, has been incredibly addictive to me. I will play it for an hour or two, then give up, feeling sick of it, only to come back after an hour for another round. It's hard, but it's fair, and once you learn what does and does not work for you, it gets much better. You learn how to play each class, which classes you prefer, what equipment loadouts work best for you with each class, and when you should avoid certain rooms and when you should go for it.

The random traits can be fun, and you also learn which ones are good, which ones are minor annoyances, and which ones you have to avoid. And the best part about that those three will vary from player to player. I personally can't handle the Colorblind trait, but some of my best playthroughs have come with the Vertigo trait, because it forced me to slow down and think.

For all the randomness, though, it's got little touches that keep it from getting out of hand. The castle's floor plan can be locked in, the areas are almost always located in the same general orientation (though I've had 2 runs where they were not correct), and there are little touches that prevent you from getting blindsided by damage, if you pay attention.

Only two real problems occur: there are a couple traits and runes that are far better then others (lots of areas only accesible by those with dwarfism, P.A.D. can make challenging rooms a joke, O.C.D. is always good, while siphon and vampirism runes will be your go to runes) and there are still some minor bugs ('Invulnerable' enemies die without seeming to take damage).

Overall, a very fun Metroidvania game. Don't be scared away by the roguelite aspect; the game handles it in a way that changes it from source of annoyance to fun way to break up tedium.
  6. Jun 30, 2013
    Great game, great controls, great art style, neat mechanics, interesting new approach.

Yeah, it's pretty much awesome. Think Castlevania Symphony of the Night Dark Souls Randomization in the form of a hardcore side-scrolling action platformer. I really don't get where the criticism of the controls is coming from. Maybe it's the controller? I used a Dualshock 3 with MotionInJoy and the XInput option to emulate the 360 controller. The D-Pad on it worked perfectly for me. If not, I really suggest people just play it a little bit more. The controls are -perfect- once you get used to them. Otherwise, you'd never get through the later areas....
  7. Jun 27, 2013
    At its core, a castlevania-esque (it actually reminds me more of Ghouls n' Ghosts) platformer with fun, challenging gameplay. Where this game shines, however, is in the unique blend of influences from the rogue-like genre. Featuring permanent death, when a character dies, you begin playing as that character's child, inheriting the family lineage. Each new character is highly unique,At its core, a castlevania-esque (it actually reminds me more of Ghouls n' Ghosts) platformer with fun, challenging gameplay. Where this game shines, however, is in the unique blend of influences from the rogue-like genre. Featuring permanent death, when a character dies, you begin playing as that character's child, inheriting the family lineage. Each new character is highly unique, however, and there are plenty of classes/specialization options. Characters have some sort of quirk-- if he is dyslexic, for instance, wrods iwll appaer scarmbeld; if she is colorblind, you will be enjoying the game in black-and-white (until she meets her unfortunate end, leaving her empire to her highly-flatulent dwarf son...etc etc). This highly innovative mechanic gives each playthrough a unique feel, aside from the typical rogue-like standards of character customization and world randomization.

tl;dr: A quality 2d platformer/rogue-like--with plenty of replay value, a steal for the price tag.
  8. Jun 30, 2013
    The most fun i had with a game in a long while. Its hard. Especially at the beginning. Even if its a rogue like game it has some retention of priror runs in form of money, equipment, enchantments etc. This is how you progress and are able to tackle harder enemies.

Its procedurally generated. Gives flashbacks to Castlevania and Ghost and goblins. Very addictive and fun! (Just one more run...)
  9. Jun 28, 2013
    What you need to know is that this game is hard... it has a slightly steep learning curve (for today's gen)..
    if you've been playing retro games, then you'll fit right in...
    the game combines castlevania style combat, metroid style exploration with "RANDOMLY GENERATED LEVELSl" oh! and "with a pinch of ghosts 'n goblins" metroidvania fans should be drooling all over this RIGHT NOW!
    if you've been playing retro games, then you'll fit right in...

metroidvania fans should be drooling all over this RIGHT NOW!

as the title of the game says, this is a roguelike game... permadeath...
    BUT
    you have an HEIR system... if you die, u can choose an heir who will be next to enter the castle... each heir has some different TRAIT like myopia, flatulence, etc...its mainly to keep the game fresh, though the traits are limited in number... each heir may or may not be of a different class.. the castle layout will be different when you enter each time...

the upgrade system is pretty good.. using ingame gold, you can unlock new classes, a blacksmith who sells you weapons, armor and stuff IF you can find the missing blueprints...similarly the enchantress for runes, which give you special abilities like hover, dash etc... play around with the runes to find your ideal combination..
    the architect is an important npc who will fix the layout of the castle so that you can replay the same layout.. this especially helps with boss fights and challenges...

the enemies lack in variety, but this isnt an issue..

overall this an excellent game which everyone should play, especially metroidvania and retro fans.
    solid game! go get it!
  10. Jun 30, 2013
    This game looks and plays like a side-scrolling Action-RPG from 20 years ago. You jump, attack and dodge around the enemies and their attacks. There is one randomly generated dungeon with a few different types of areas in it. There are a couple dozen different types of enemies and the same boss fights each time. The controls are solid and it plays well with a gamepad. The gameplay is notThis game looks and plays like a side-scrolling Action-RPG from 20 years ago. You jump, attack and dodge around the enemies and their attacks. There is one randomly generated dungeon with a few different types of areas in it. There are a couple dozen different types of enemies and the same boss fights each time. The controls are solid and it plays well with a gamepad. The gameplay is not complicated, but the game itself is challenging. You will probably die a lot, but at least it will be your fault. Victory is not an eventuality, so if you get frustrated easily you may wind up not enjoying yourself. (I can pretty much guarantee the people who gave this game negative reviews got frustrated and quit.) Every time you die, you will start over as one of three new randomly generated characters of randomized classes, but you get to spend the gold you've earned on the previous run on upgrades. By default all of the gold you do not spend will be taken from you when you re-enter the dungeon, so if you perform poorly you may not be able to upgrade anything but if you put together a good run you will be able to buy numerous upgrades. It can be a bit of a grind to accumulate enough upgrades and/or increase your skills enough to defeat the game, especially if you aren't very good at these types of games. Beating this game won't get you anything fancy but it feels like an accomplishment. For the price it is a good value and has long-term re-playability. It would be perfect as a portable but is still good on a PC. It could benefit from more enemy variety and customizable options, but overall a good play. Expand
  11. Jun 30, 2013
    Pretty nice castle exploration RPG game. I spent around 4 hours in the first day. I like heir concept but I wish there were more different level tiles, character traits and maybe more weapons to choose from.
  12. Jul 20, 2013
    I liked this game and played it pretty much to "completion" (I've all the steam achievements and I played it to legacy +7 or +8. At this point the game becomes very broken but most of it I enjoyed before that. The bosses are a bit easy in face they're easier than the normal monsters after completing the game for the first time. Nevertheless I had fun with the game and enjoyed jumping andI liked this game and played it pretty much to "completion" (I've all the steam achievements and I played it to legacy +7 or +8. At this point the game becomes very broken but most of it I enjoyed before that. The bosses are a bit easy in face they're easier than the normal monsters after completing the game for the first time. Nevertheless I had fun with the game and enjoyed jumping and killing and the different variations of the game.

Pros:
    + I really liked the RPG aspects of this game. Upgrading your castle to upgrade your character and to do so in other ways as well was what kept me going for 20h+, which for me was money's worth for this game.
    + I liked the music, background and the nice events the dungeon had to offer. In addition the character traits were a fun addition.
    + Changing the class was fun way to play the game in different ways and there were even class-specific challenges for rewards throughout the castle.
    + This game didn't need a story and neither did it really have one. It was fun to play.

Cons:
    - I felt that the scaling of your character is really bad since monsters do scale with levels. Your character doesn't and you'll pretty much get 1-2 shotted at the point of game where I am by some of the monsters. Also most classes become useless later on taking some of the fun away.
    - The animation of the sword (arc of the slash and length of the sword) don't match the actual hitbox of the sword which I found frustrating at times.
    - In my taste it should have had more zones, bosses and events.
  13. Jul 19, 2013
    I can't remember the last time I played a single-player at least a couple of times every day over the course of a few weeks. Rogue Legacy's tight controls, engaging gameplay, challenging (randomly generated) dungeons, and extensive skill tree roped me in, and it is not likely to let go anytime soon. I find myself returning at an alarmingly high frequency to sit down for half hour sessionsI can't remember the last time I played a single-player at least a couple of times every day over the course of a few weeks. Rogue Legacy's tight controls, engaging gameplay, challenging (randomly generated) dungeons, and extensive skill tree roped me in, and it is not likely to let go anytime soon. I find myself returning at an alarmingly high frequency to sit down for half hour sessions to relax and get a small amount of progress, or sit in for longer sessions trying to plow my way through my 2nd new game (the challenge increases with every NG+).

Little needs to be said about this game, for it succeeds on so many levels. With that being said, I've found some issues with hitboxes, glitches, and general jankiness (enemies turning invisible, how terrible the "Vertigo" trait is, etc) so this is not quite a perfect score from me.

Pick up this game, though. It is completely worth it.

14. Two
    Jul 5, 2013
    This game is hard. It manages to dangle progress infront of the player just enough to keep them wanting more though. The style is reminiscent of 8bit game days and trust me when I say this, it really helps if you have a controller to go with it. I found the music a little lacking, and my only other complaint is that sometimes I found myself wanting to throw my computer against the wallThis game is hard. It manages to dangle progress infront of the player just enough to keep them wanting more though. The style is reminiscent of 8bit game days and trust me when I say this, it really helps if you have a controller to go with it. I found the music a little lacking, and my only other complaint is that sometimes I found myself wanting to throw my computer against the wall because I'd failed, yet again, to get enough gold for an upgrade I needed and charon was going to take it all anyway. All in all, the game is great. Expand
  15. Jul 2, 2013
    If you love roguelike games and/or metroidvania type action RPGs, this game will suck your hours dry. It is super fun and addictive and very well designed. Never played anything that Cellar Door previously put out (And they break the 4th wall in this and talk rather cruelly and sarcastically about their previous games) but regardless of whatever past mistakes they've released as an indieIf you love roguelike games and/or metroidvania type action RPGs, this game will suck your hours dry. It is super fun and addictive and very well designed. Never played anything that Cellar Door previously put out (And they break the 4th wall in this and talk rather cruelly and sarcastically about their previous games) but regardless of whatever past mistakes they've released as an indie developer, they have a surefire hit on this one. There is a reason this game topped Steam's Top Seller list for a week, and it probably would still be on there if not for the new sales, and that reason is you can't get more a more fun, addictive Action RPG game than this for $15, worth every cent, and I gladly would have paid more. (hint hint devs, think about doing some DLC!). Have played about 16 hours so far. Expand
  16. Jul 5, 2013
    A great mix of Super Ghouls and Ghosts, Castlevania SON, Super Metroid, and Mega Man. If you loved any of those series you should pick up this game. Its a challenging game and extremely addicting. I just wish there were more traits and the progression wasn't so grind gold heavy. I cheated for extra gold and the game was much much more fun (I can't stand grinding for gold and its prettyA great mix of Super Ghouls and Ghosts, Castlevania SON, Super Metroid, and Mega Man. If you loved any of those series you should pick up this game. Its a challenging game and extremely addicting. I just wish there were more traits and the progression wasn't so grind gold heavy. I cheated for extra gold and the game was much much more fun (I can't stand grinding for gold and its pretty easy to just use a HEX editor and get you the gold).

The randomized levels really gives this game its staying power and makes every play through interesting and fun.

The only thing this game is missing is multiplayer and maybe a few more traits, enemy classes, and areas to explore. Overall it just does so much right. A must have for 2013.
  17. Aug 26, 2013
    An easy to play, hard to master game. A funny and entertaining platformer. Combines multiple niche genres, albeit not all of them unique, for some fresh and enjoyable gameplay.
  18. r50
    Sep 8, 2013
    I enjoyed this game very much. There's also not much else like it so I'd recommend it if you're interested in roguelikes and platforming. Feels a lot like Castlevania and Ghost & Goblins.
  19. Jul 25, 2013
    I like this game a lot. It's not as punishing as other rogue-likes, so it's a lot more accessible. Every life, you have to pick between 3 children, and each child has different classes and traits, so you're forced to learn the nuances of game as opposed to just learning 1 small subset, which is refreshing.
  20. Sep 4, 2013
    Rogue Legacy is an extremely fun and challenging game that I have really enjoyed playing. I generally do not play games like RL, but decided to give it a try nonetheless. I have played seven hours so far, and I have to say that I won't be beating the game any time soon. To me this is a strength of the game. The fact that I can play seven hours of a game and feel like there is much leftRogue Legacy is an extremely fun and challenging game that I have really enjoyed playing. I generally do not play games like RL, but decided to give it a try nonetheless. I have played seven hours so far, and I have to say that I won't be beating the game any time soon. To me this is a strength of the game. The fact that I can play seven hours of a game and feel like there is much left for me to discover and find is truly a rarity in gaming these days. With the runes found in rooms that are difficult to complete, and the blacksmith blueprints, and even the skill tree, there is a lot to explore here. One of the best parts of Rogue Legacy is the randomly generated castle. There are multiple sections, and in order to win the game one must beat the four bosses from all the areas and then a final boss (if I'm not mistaken). So far, I haven't beaten one boss yet, but I feel as though I will soon be able to. The classes are another strength of the game. They are quite varied, with Shinobi having low health but dealing damage, the paladin being the well rounded class, and around five other classes (so far) that are available when you choose your heir. Overall, I recommend giving this game a shot regardless of what anyone may regularly play. The game is certainly funny, challenging, and deceivingly simple--in short, it's a blast. Collapse
  21. Aug 7, 2013
    Fun game. You need a game pad to really enjoy it. Very hard. Throwback to the unforgiving games of the NES era. All the randomness is fun, the quick runs and near misses make you just wanna play one more game. Progression is fun, unlocking new features and upgrades.

It can get a little frustrating at times as once you get into the game, you have to hit a minimum amount of gold for the run to be at all useful in unlocking upgrades, but that is the nature of "rouge like"

Buy it if you like Ghost and Goblins type games, and have a game pad.
  22. Aug 9, 2013
    Rogue Legacy Review -
    Originally posted on http://www.yeahyeahcool.com/2013/08/08/rogue-legacy-review/
    By: William Valdes @WTValdes Let’s go back in time nearly thirty years ago. The year was 1985. A hot new game from Capcom hit the arcades that September called ‘Ghouls ‘n Goblins’. You pop a quarter in the machine and your quest begins as Arthur, a knight in shining armor who must
    Rogue Legacy Review -

By: William Valdes @WTValdes

Let’s go back in time nearly thirty years ago. The year was 1985. A hot new game from Capcom hit the arcades that September called ‘Ghouls ‘n Goblins’. You pop a quarter in the machine and your quest begins as Arthur, a knight in shining armor who must battle armies of the evil undead to rescue the fair Princess and bring about peace to the entire kingdom. It becomes quickly apparent that this game is tough! You hack and slash your way through the 2D side-scrolling level until you meet your inevitable demise. Up to this point, Rogue Legacy is strikingly similar to Ghouls ‘n Goblins in many ways but it’s also where the similarities end and Rogue Legacy’s unique hook gets the spotlight.

Once your character dies, you choose from one a few possible next-of-kin to continue on the quest. With a new generation, comes a huge variety of different classes, abilities, and traits. One moment you may get a female dwarf-barbarian with light feet that won’t trigger floor spike traps, another time, a giant male mage with color-blindness that turns your screen black and white. You also inherit all of the gold acquired in the previous run which can be used to level your character up with increased attributes or new weapons and armor. New abilities also empower your characters just as much as leveling does. A room filled with spike traps is made all the safer with double jumps and mid-air dashes. Enemies gradually become more difficult as you level up and the various area bosses are challenging but gratifying when you defeat them. The layout of the castle you explore is procedurally generated, so it resets with each new generation unless you’re willing to give up some gold to lock down the most recent layout.

Fans of the 16-bit era will feel right at home with the look and feel of this game. This game has full controller support on Steam and like pretty much every platformer, it’s best played with one. The controls feel great, the game looks great and the gameplay is super addictive. Playing Rogue Legacy was one of those rare experiences for me where time just fly’s by while you’re in a deep gaming trance. I really like this game. A lot. One of the best games I’ve played all year.

A
  23. Aug 12, 2013
    Rogue Legacy is funny, addicting, and has surprising hard game play. The boss fights are satisfying, my only problem with them is how few of them there are. Character progression is phenomenal, the way they implemented re-spawning system is clever and makes more sense than the typical systems. You get a new guy every time, a descendant of the person you had previously played. You chooseRogue Legacy is funny, addicting, and has surprising hard game play. The boss fights are satisfying, my only problem with them is how few of them there are. Character progression is phenomenal, the way they implemented re-spawning system is clever and makes more sense than the typical systems. You get a new guy every time, a descendant of the person you had previously played. You choose between 3 characters, each have a different play style and different traits. You can have a dwarf trait and be extremely small or gigantism and be very big. There are too many traits to list, some are funny and don't do anything. I recommend playing the game with a controller, I found it difficult to play on keyboard. Expand
  24. Sep 24, 2013
    One of the few games I've played to make "grinding" fun. Early in the game you are a wimp that will die. A lot. But the more gold you gather for your legacy, the stronger your characters get and you can survive slightly longer than the last one. The classes are just different enough to keep things interesting from life to life (aside from the newly-randomly-generated world). The game playsOne of the few games I've played to make "grinding" fun. Early in the game you are a wimp that will die. A lot. But the more gold you gather for your legacy, the stronger your characters get and you can survive slightly longer than the last one. The classes are just different enough to keep things interesting from life to life (aside from the newly-randomly-generated world). The game plays nicely on a gamepad, as all platformers should. If I could change anything about the game it would be to have a greater variety of enemies and cut back a bit on the spikes and traps. Expand
  25. Aug 2, 2013
    This isn't really a 'rogue like' game at all.

This isn't really a 'rogue like' game at all.

With that giant lie out of the way. This is a nifty platformer game, with dynamically (not really random) designed dungeons, that fit together in many many many different rooms and orders. It is limited in enemy types of under 10 different types of enemies, that grow stronger (and bigger and meaner). Plus 4 boss mobs, and a new game+ mode for even more fun!!
    Seriously with all the negatives out of the way, I just found myself playing it, and losing track of time. It is frustrating and hard, but you get better at it and instead of clearing the first 3 rooms, soon you start clearing huge areas on each run.
    Addictive 2d platform game that makes the other platform games you've played recently look to be frank. Bad. This game using a simple interface that works and is fun. It isn't overly complicated, with several different spells you can use and only one sword attack, yet it works and it works well.
  26. Jul 13, 2013
    This little game is just packed full of AWESOME! The rogue-lite system is great where you have to start over if you die but your heir can use the gold you collected and the bonuses you've unlocked so you get stronger and stronger. Rogue with progression.
    Traits are fun. ADHD makes you faster, dyslexia makes you unable to read, nostalgia makes the game sepia toned and gay makes just about no difference what so ever....awesome!

So, look beyond the 8bit-like graphics and have some pure fun with this game!

(best played with a controller)
  27. Jul 13, 2013
    Really challenging and fun game, super ghouls and ghosts meets castlevania SOTN. I highly recommend getting an xbox gamepad for your PC for this. Unfortunately this is the only controller that I've read works, but I think they're trying to change that. If they haven't done so already, you may need to dig around for a 3rd party program like xpadder to map your joystick buttons to yourReally challenging and fun game, super ghouls and ghosts meets castlevania SOTN. I highly recommend getting an xbox gamepad for your PC for this. Unfortunately this is the only controller that I've read works, but I think they're trying to change that. If they haven't done so already, you may need to dig around for a 3rd party program like xpadder to map your joystick buttons to your keyboard buttons, that's what I ended up needing to do. Definitely worth the trouble, though! Expand
  28. Jul 4, 2013
    This game is really funny. It's a bit hard at first, but you get money and upgrade your defense and offense, get new skills, and the game gets better.
    My only complaint is that you need to grind a bit in the beggining to get some progress, and dying frequently can be frustrating for non-dedicated gamers

I recommend it, fair price too
  29. Jul 11, 2013
    A brutally hard, incredibly fun RPG in the style of Castlevania:SotN. Multiple classes, traits, each with pros and cons, user controled stat growth through the multiple branched upgrade systems (Tower, blacksmith, and Enchantress).

A controller isn't required, but helps tremendously due to the game type. Xbox controller support natively.
  30. Sep 9, 2013
    I'd like to start out by saying this game is fantastic but it's clearly not meant for everyone. Secondly this game is ridiculously hard to just pick up and be good at. Now that those are out of the way here's some more in depth information, good and bad. The Best thing is infinite replayability to an extent, you can continue beating the game and upping the difficulty to your hearts contentI'd like to start out by saying this game is fantastic but it's clearly not meant for everyone. Secondly this game is ridiculously hard to just pick up and be good at. Now that those are out of the way here's some more in depth information, good and bad. The Best thing is infinite replayability to an extent, you can continue beating the game and upping the difficulty to your hearts content but you will eventually hit a wall because you reach a point where you can't grow your character in a readily available way because you max out the skill progression system. I'm also counting the difficulty as a plus because to be honest most games are made for everyone and present very minimal challenge to more hardcore gamers. The randomization of character from playthrough to playthrough is also refreshing in that the game makes it so you have to learn to play different styles and deal with different obstacles since you will most likely never get the exact same class and trait combination twice in a row. If you like 2d action platform games that are challenging this is a game you should consider. But now for the bad side. The randomization can mean that you get a character selection set that sucks and you have no option but to play one and die to get a better one. The only other really bad thing is just general bugginess, enemies spawning inside walls, enemies dropping gold inside walls, attacks hitting you when you're clearly out of range, random indestructible enemies exploding for no reason(floating spike balls), etc.
    Overall, great game with a few caveats.
  31. Jul 24, 2013
    An amazing game well worth the purchase. Loads of replay-ability. If you like a challenge and don't rage-quit because you suck at video games, then you should have no troubles playing this game. It's a blast and not one to be missed.
  32. Jul 18, 2013
    Castlevania? Check. Rogue-like mechanics? Check. Awesome graphic style? Check. Amazing music? Check. Check. Incredibly challenging? Funny gimmick to make that less frustrating? Check. Replay value? Check. At least an excuse plot? Check, and then add some. This game is brilliant in many, many ways. All my praises would be a list of what the game is. It's fun and it's a challenge, andCastlevania? Check. Rogue-like mechanics? Check. Awesome graphic style? Check. Amazing music? Check. Check. Incredibly challenging? Funny gimmick to make that less frustrating? Check. Replay value? Check. At least an excuse plot? Check, and then add some. This game is brilliant in many, many ways. All my praises would be a list of what the game is. It's fun and it's a challenge, and that's a rare combination. Just go play it. It's like they reinvented one of my favorite games to enhance it. Even "farming" here is a challenge, it's really well made, that's all there is to say on the matter. (side complaints: it has some very minor stupid things, but they are very rare and compared to other games of the genre it's almost irrelevant: I found myself dead due to unavoidable spike balls upon entering a room from above, floating wizards that can't decide wether their projectiles pass through walls or don't, and a somewhat arbirtary relation between dashing lancers and slopes. also the vampire equipment set needs tweaking) Expand
  33. Jul 28, 2013
    WARNING This game isn't for new gen peeps who like hand holding.
    Yes this game is hard, but that just makes it more rewarding.
    I have 12 hours on it, and I keep going back to it.
  34. Aug 2, 2013
    Great game, Hard but fair with a ton of replay, it gets really fun about two hours in, then it slows a little, and gets really fun mid New Game Word of advice, play with a controller, much much better with a controller.
  35. Aug 5, 2013
    Fascinating!
    Nice Graphics, good Gameplay, cool ...diseases? Really Fascinating at all!
    I will have to play this game for a long time "with a few issues"
  36. Sep 14, 2013
    Old school side scrolling platformer with a twist. Family legacy based, each character you play has traits some beneficial and some negative, sometimes none at all. When you die you get a choice of children heirs to take your place each with different traits and class types. Almost everything is upgradable. Riches and upgrades follow you as you progress building a family tree ofOld school side scrolling platformer with a twist. Family legacy based, each character you play has traits some beneficial and some negative, sometimes none at all. When you die you get a choice of children heirs to take your place each with different traits and class types. Almost everything is upgradable. Riches and upgrades follow you as you progress building a family tree of characters that tried to defeat the castle. Every time you start you get to spend your money and whatever you don't spend you have to pay to death to enter the castle. Very fun game. Very well built. Boss fights are extremely challenging as they should be. Any negative reviews are mostly because the player sucks at games in general. Understand that dying is part of this game. Its intended to not be won in a single character. Each time you die you get to upgrade your characters by upgrading your castle or buying new weapons you acquired during your last characters travels. Magic enhancements like double jump or dash can be added and if you like you can lock the castle to the last version you entered for a percentage of your earned income this attempt through the castle. Good replay ability with randomly generated dungeons. Expand
  37. Jul 7, 2013
    It is a great game! Prepare to be addicted and to die alot!

Yes, the game is repetitive and unforgiving but perfecting your skills and improving
    your heir through upgrading your gear is tons of fun.
  38. Aug 7, 2013
    This game is pure awesome. So addictive! It is pretty challenging at first until you level up your abilities and get some decent gear but the difficulty is what makes it great. Just be nice if you could leave the dungeon and buy stuff/change gear without having to die. Also, the sounds affects are pretty naff and the music can get seriously annoying. Almost finished it 3 times throughThis game is pure awesome. So addictive! It is pretty challenging at first until you level up your abilities and get some decent gear but the difficulty is what makes it great. Just be nice if you could leave the dungeon and buy stuff/change gear without having to die. Also, the sounds affects are pretty naff and the music can get seriously annoying. Almost finished it 3 times through now and still can't get enough. Expand
  39. Jul 8, 2013
    The game is lots of fun, and very addicting. Its offers that just one more round kind of game play.

There is also a new game+ mode that keeps you going after your beat it the first time.
  40. Jul 29, 2013
    This is a fantastic title for anyone that grew up with side scroller games. It does have its annoyances though, but if you are willing to take the time to immerse yourself into this game you'll rise above them.

The game is very simple in terms of combat and goals. Although there is a loose story around the game and an end boss, the initial goal will be to unlock upgrades, armor, and runes to ultimately help you achieve a full clear. Basically it boils down to this, pick a character out of a choice of three with the most favorable set of traits you prefer, enter the castle, clear rooms and collect enough money before you die to purchase the next upgrade. Of course as you get more upgrades, the enemies get tougher too so expect to die.... a lot!

Because the castle is randomly generated, this means that you can't memories the levels and enemy placement. This forces you to actually learn the patterns and behavior of your foes, and adds a strategic element for planning out your attack order in a room filled with baddies. If you just run in and blindly start attacking the first thing you see, you may find yourself trapped in a crossfire of steel and magic that will quickly end your life.

Some people may hate how challenging this can make the game. At times it can be downright frustrating, but unlike true rogue-like games this one actually has a sort of character progression. Even though the enemies will get tougher, as you gain levels you'll have more margin for error. Combine that with mastering the enemy behavior, and soon you'll find the game easy enough to clear most rooms, but still challenging enough to keep you on your toes.

My only major complaints with the game is that it really only has four areas to explore. Although it is randomly generated, the limited themes and music grow tired before long. It's easy to overlook though if you enjoy the gameplay, and it has a huge amount of upgrades to obtain. If you are the type of person that like to unlock stuff, that should be enough to keep you coming back to this game for quite awhile.

Fifteen dollars may seem like a steep price when most games of similar budget and quality are in the five to ten dollar range, but this one has enough replay value to make it worth the money. If you're looking for a game that actually has gameplay, and not cutscenes and quicktime events every couple of minutes, give this one a try. Its oldschool arcade feeling goodness at its best.
  41. Jul 13, 2013
    Rogue Legacy is a great game with many hours of gameplay. If you like Infinity Blade for IOS, this will be one of your favorite games. With the fact that you have heirs when you die, considering they have different traits and classes, it's endless at the amounts of possible heros. You can build your manor and unlock new classes, increase stats, and more.

I think this is well worth

I think this is well worth the 15$. And everyone should try it
  42. Jul 8, 2013
    Easy to learn, but pleasant game. If you have 30 minutes to spend it's excellent choice. If you have 5 hours it is also excellent choice.

+ addictive game play
    + easy controls
    + nice, old school music
    + rpg-like elements

- may be boring after some time (I didn't achieve this point yet after 8h of playing)
  43. Jul 12, 2013
    A rather difficult but rewarding game, It gives you a sense of great accomplishment at times but it can also be quite frustratingly hard. Its rather simple but with with layers of complexity to keep you interested and invested. Defiantly a must buy game for those looking for a challenge.
  44. Sep 17, 2013
    So, what makes Rogue Legacy worthy of your hard-earned money?

So, what makes Rogue Legacy worthy of your hard-earned money?

First off, I wanted to state how excited I was in learning that the Rogue Legacy development team also created the classic text-controlled flash game "Don't Your Pants"! If you haven't played it, google it, and prepare for.. Well, the title says it all. Share it with your friends and watch them play for the first time. This made me cry with laughter!

Ok, down to the positives!

1. Rogue Legacy has the feel of ye olde Super Nintendo titles. If you're looking for some 80s/90s nostalgia with the additional complex elements which we expect from game releases nowadays, you'll find them here!

2. A glorious 'skill tree' and upgrade system. With every death comes more gold, which buys you new classes, improved stats, armor, weaponry, or magical runes! The rune system is an awesome idea, granting you faster base speed, health-stealing upon kills (recommended!), flight, or extra jumps, to name a few. These stack, meaning that with the proper runes, you could jump up to ~5 times before hitting the ground. Great system, with fun and cool unlocks as you journey through the generations!

3. Challenging, but not ultra-frustrating. While the enemies are challenging, this makes defeating them even more fulfilling. You are expected to die, and very frequently, in Rogue Legacy. However, with every death also comes more opportunity for upgrades. You slowly make your way through the castle at first, but the gameplay doesn't stale. Your power grows with every new heir, and the castle is different every time you enter. I have rarely felt any 'deja vu' based on past castle explorations, and that displays to me that their game is well-constructed.

4. It's humorous! You pick from 3 heirs every time you die, with most of them having some hilarious physical/mental health issues. These rarely hinder you in moving forward. As a matter of fact, they can help too. Your heirs may suffer from near-sighted/far-sighted/tunnel vision, ADHD, OCD, Dwarfism, Dyslexia, Insanity, or Irritable Bowel Syndrome. They may even be balding, homosexual, or hold an unhealthy fear of chickens. I love what this element adds to the adventure. Each disorder must be recognized for its pros or cons. You usually decide your heir based upon which of the three has traits of the least evil! You will learn to recognize how all of them affect your playtime, and how they help or hinder your progress within the castle walls. TIP: Sometimes you just have to pick the heir that seems the most messed up. Wondrous results: inevitable.

Conclusions: It's worth your money and time. There is only one reason why I gave Rogue Legacy a 9 instead of a 10. I was slightly behind the storyline (told through journal entries) towards the end of the game. The monsters level with you, and from what I've gathered, each main character death connotes a level. This being my first play-through, I ended up accruing many horridly short lives. Basically, I was told the story before I had completed the objectives I supposedly should have already finished based on these entries. I was probably ~10-15 lives behind at all times.

All-in-all, a lovely experience though! I have one suggestion for new players: Play through 10, maybe 15 lives, learn the mechanics and how to properly defeat each monster, then clear your save data via the game menu and start from scratch. It will save you the heart-ache of deleting a fairly worthless level 50 or 60 character, as I'm about to do I can't say it's not totally worth it!!

Thanks for a great game, Cellar Door. Here's wishing you long existence. You built a world that brought me back to my younger years. I haven't felt such nostalgia since I last played Final Fantasy 4! I never expected I'd find such a diamond in the rough, but here it is! I'm very excited to see what your hard work brings next!
  45. Jul 8, 2013
    BUY A 360 CONTROLLER BEFORE YOU BUY IT.

BUY A 360 CONTROLLER BEFORE YOU BUY IT.

As somebody that usually hates platformers, after watching some trailers of Rogue Legacy, I thought it had a lot of humour in it. But what really captured my attention was the tons of equipment and upgrades. The game is difficult, but as you progress, and learn the controls and actions of the mobs, it becomes fast paced, fluid, and most of all: intense.

I've been playing it for hours and hours, and I feel like you just can't stop playing. It's so exciting and fast paced. It's very, very rewarding when you get loot, and come back knowing you're able to upgrade your castle(stat upgrades), and buy equipment.

Great game.

Buy it.
  46. Aug 17, 2013
    Nothing to talk, it's Roger Galaxy. Only Brazilian people will understand, anyway, the game is awesome and you can play with your friends or brother/sister. The boss battles are fun and the game has a huge sense o humor.
  47. Aug 13, 2014
    I first played this game a few months ago and didn't like it at all, but only because I suck at platformers. Later I was convinced to give it another try, and woah if it blew my mind. Rogue Legacy is the Dark Souls of platformers: once you get used to its dying and rebirth routine you'll spend hours with it and love the sense of progression. A fantastic game.
  48. Jul 12, 2013
    Awesome game, very addictive even after you beat all the bosses, just to unlock all makes it very rewarding. controls are very responsive the rune equip stats classes makes a lot of fun to try different mixes.
  49. Jul 11, 2013
    Super fun and addictive game, definitely skill based, and one of my favorite rogue-like games out there. Only thing a little off about it is the controls for the keyboard, honestly.
  50. Nov 30, 2013
    This is hands down one of the best platformers I have played. With the ability to upgrade yourself, gain access to new classes, and a ever changing dungeon, this game takes the cake. I purchased it on a Steam Sale and it has so far been my favorite purchase.

The platforming system lends itself to be played by multiple people during game play without hurting your progress. Hands down, one of the easiest and best games to play when you're bored and want something fun and challenging.
  51. Feb 4, 2014
    There is very little I don't like about this title. It's wise to use a game pad as the keyboard control is the only let down.

Enemy design coupled with the random layouts make for interesting and unique challenges the retro platform lover will enjoy. The roguelike elements work well with the partnering of the skill trees and armor inheritance, so as to nullify some of the frustrations born from titles such as Dont Starve.

Top class game. One of the most interesting gaming experiences I've had in the last 12 months.
  52. Jul 6, 2014
    Rouge Legacy does everything Megaman with more variance. The constant change in weapons, characters, and skills require consistent adjustment of playstyle with each life. The heir continue system is a unique approach that keeps this platforming powerhouse fresh. Could not be happier. Full review later.
  53. Oct 14, 2014
    Original review after spending 1 hour with the game:
    Original review after spending 1 hour with the game:
    A little too hard for a everyday player. I took an hour to learn its secrets and wound up with dying every few rooms. Some rooms are generated in a way that makes you die instantly. Not fun. Items are too expensive and the drop rates so low, that you can spend 15 minutes earning absolutely nothing. Awkward fighting controls means is more of a puzzle game to hit the enemies instead of a entertaining platformer. Repetitive design that owes to everlasting respawning made me abandon it too early. What a shame. A few changes and this would be an instant classic.

New review after spending 20+ hours with the game:
    The game is very hard at first. The more you play it and the more you learn it, it becomes much much easier. Tight controls help much. It really deserves the high scores others are giving it. You just have to have a patience and a bit of skill with platformers to really enjoy it. One of the best games of 2013. Period.
  54. Nov 20, 2013
    This game is a fun platformer. A rogue-like rpg through and through. Expect to die, quite a bit, in the beginning. If you stick with it you'll find a very engrossing and challenging game. The only problem is the end game. There is a lot of grinding that needs to take place before you can face the final boss. However, how many rogue-like games actually give you a way to beat the game? IThis game is a fun platformer. A rogue-like rpg through and through. Expect to die, quite a bit, in the beginning. If you stick with it you'll find a very engrossing and challenging game. The only problem is the end game. There is a lot of grinding that needs to take place before you can face the final boss. However, how many rogue-like games actually give you a way to beat the game? I recommend this game. At $15 I thought it was a bit overpriced, but honestly, it's more than a fair price. Expand
  55. Nov 29, 2013
    Amazing game, certainly the best metroidvania I've seen in a while. Cellar Door Games have made a very entertaining popurri of the best RPG concepts in the industry. Rogue legacy is essentially a 2D patformer in the tradition of Symphony of the Night, you control a warrior that must investigate a really contrived castle full of enemies.

You have many classes to choose from: knight,

You have many classes to choose from: knight, barbarian, mage, rogue, ninja, lich, etc. Core game mechanics are very simmilar among them: you have 1 button to sword attack, another one to jump, and another one to use a spell; however, each class gets a special action assigned to a fourth button, and it may not sound like much, but believe me, it makes a huge difference in how you use each character. Each one also has specific stats, specializing each job for certain tactics. Eventually new layers come into play like runes, advanced classes and blacksmithing.

The leveling scheme is pretty original, since you don't level a single character but more like your "bloodline". sequence goes like this: you take your warrior into the castle, advancing and looting as much gold as you can; your char will eventually die, it's inevitable, and he will be gone forever, but you retain the gold; 3 new "succesors" are displayed, allowing you to choose who will carry the mantle; using the gold you earned you start upgrading your "family", buying healt/damage upgrades, new classes, the blacksmith, runes, etc, etc, making your next adventure more manageable than the previous; you take your new warrior into the castle again, the whole castle is randomized and your remaining money is taken, effectivelly returning you to point 0; new warrior will eventually die, repeating the previous process.

Overall an amazing game, It actually reminds me of the Souls series a lot, specially in it's unforgiving nature, in it's aproach to death (death is part of the experience after all), and in it's approach to currency as a way of leveling up (and loosing it all with each new try). This is nostalgia done right!!! a true homage to the SNES era in a new franchise, with bold and interesting mechanics; instead of predating old franchises into mediocre games to get a quick buck (I'm looking at you Double Dragon). Highly recommended!!
  56. Jun 13, 2014
    Great difficulty curve. Great 2D side scroller game play. Very addicting. Doesn't do anything terribly original, (otehr than inherited traits which are fun, but not really game defining) but it nails the addicting rogue like formula. Very easy to get sucked in.
  57. Jan 23, 2014
    I hate Roguelikes. It's more of a personal preference than a legitimate concern, but I completely disagree with the concept of games that erase all your progress if something, ANYTHING goes wrong. Even old DOS games like Tyrian 2000 and NES games like Zelda reflected the knowledge that players liked challenge, but didn't like doing and redoing things they'd already done several times.I hate Roguelikes. It's more of a personal preference than a legitimate concern, but I completely disagree with the concept of games that erase all your progress if something, ANYTHING goes wrong. Even old DOS games like Tyrian 2000 and NES games like Zelda reflected the knowledge that players liked challenge, but didn't like doing and redoing things they'd already done several times. That's why they invented saving. Rogue Legacy, however, is marketed as a Rogue-Lite, and it makes a world of difference.

The game is about a family of knights, each with a wide variety of unique traits, some beneficial (ambidextrous, OCD), some detrimental (vertigo, near-sighted), and some pure flavor (nostalgic, dyslexic) entering a randomly generated castle to find and defeat 4 bosses and one final boss. When one knight dies, one of his/her three children take his place and tries to accomplish the nearly impossible task.

Instead of making death a hard-and-fast cutoff with no gain to be shown afterward, the game lets you keep weapons, armor, money, and even certain hidden treasures earned by the previous knight for the benefit of all future knights. At times in the game, I knew I wouldn't be able to reach the end, meaning my goal was to earn as much money as possible for my children before I died. This made the game a lot more than a slot machine to be spun repeatedly until the circumstance for victory were present. It was a long, slow climb to victory, with each and every death another step onward and upward. Granted, the final boss I ended up beating due equally to luck (ninja+gigantism) and experience from several other failed attempts, but since this was only the the final part of the game, and not the vast majority of it, as was the case with FTL and Delver, it didn't ruin the game.

The gameplay is, at it's core, simple, but with lots of little complex details. You can dash forward or backward without changing direction in mid-air. When attacking, you can't change direction unless you have a specific trait. The downward attack requires proper timing to connect without damaging the player. And of course there are plenty of spells, class abilities, equipment, and modifiers to make your knight more powerful. there's even a way to make the castle keep a consistent layout, which takes the element of surprise away from the enemy.

The graphics and audio are quite nice. The sprites are well done and consistently so. There are different themes for the different areas of the castle, and randomly placed jukeboxes that will let you change the bgm to any of the game's songs you want. I'm a fan of Pistol Shrimp, personally.

Overall, while this game is just plain good and addicting, it's also worth noting that it's perfect for laptops, as it's not especially intensive and doesn't use the mouse at all. But really, even without those bonuses, Rogue Legacy is a great game and a thoroughly enjoyable take on the roguelike genre.
  58. Dec 30, 2013
    You can now play this game on Mac, using Steam. addictive (totally compatible with Xbox 360 gamepad on 2012 iMac 27")

"One more and I stop"… no way, impossible Love this game.
  59. Oct 6, 2014
    Rogue Legacy is a 2D roguelike platformer, and one of the best roguelikes I've played. It's polished, with great visuals, sound, music, and game mechanics.

Permadeath adds a lot of great dynamics to games, but also comes with a lot of design challenges. If not done right permadeath can be both tedious and frustrating. Rogue Legacy handles this by making you keep most of your growth even after you die and start over, which is brilliant.

Rogue Legacy has some of the most fun combat I've seen in a 2D platform game. The controls are smooth, the enemies are well designed to create a variety of interesting tactical challenges, and the player has a lot of flexibility in both attacking and dodging. You can do things like double jump over two enemies, hit each with your sword, and then mid-air dash to dodge a third enemy.

Each time you start over with a new character, the character can have a wide variety of abilities *and weaknesses*! The weaknesses are creative and funny, like color-blindness, which makes the game a lot harder than I would have thought. Some weaknesses are also strengths, such as being small, which causes you to have a smaller sword that is harder to hit foes with, but also allows you to fit through narrow passages you normally couldn't fit through.

The one downside to the way you keep your character development from game to game is that death almost feels trivialized. If you live just long enough to gain enough gold for the next upgrade you want, then dying after that point is not a big deal.
  60. Sep 20, 2014
    I had to make a counter review to Bunkerfox's because it is rated as too helpful. First he says the controls are bad. This is false. The controls are not intuitive, that is to say, they do not match the smoother feeling of Castlevania. However, this is remedied easily by sticking with the game for a few hours and you easily adjust. I had no trouble buffing myself to +50% speed andI had to make a counter review to Bunkerfox's because it is rated as too helpful. First he says the controls are bad. This is false. The controls are not intuitive, that is to say, they do not match the smoother feeling of Castlevania. However, this is remedied easily by sticking with the game for a few hours and you easily adjust. I had no trouble buffing myself to +50% speed and blitzing through the castle destroying everything in my path (loads of fun btw). So yes, the controls can be difficult to adjust to if you don't play a variety of games and are only used to one platforming style.

The hero legacies are random, yes, but there's an upgrade you can purchase with gold to randomize them again. If you can't stand randomness at all, don't buy the game. The castle is randomly generated to a certain extent. The 1st area is always in the middle, the 2nd area to the right, 3rd to top, and 4th to bottom. You often will find rooms similar to ones you've played before, but each new map will be randomly laid out. The exploration phase of the game only lasts about 10-15 hours, once you've explored a whole castle, you're pretty much done exploring. It isn't like Castlevania with hidden or unlockable rooms or rooms you need to come back to after gaining a new ability. In other words, exploration is NOT a major feature of the game. The game is more about fighting, looting, and upgrading your stats.

I loved upgrading my character and trying to beat my previous high score for gold collected in 1 run each time. If you upgrade your stats to maximum, you might feel like it's a grind, but it's totally up to you.

Great sounds, decent music(gets annoying after a long time). As for the making fun of disabilities I don't think it's as serious as some make it out to be. Some aren't even real, and can be offensive if you have no sense of humor.

Amazing game, very Castlevania-esque, gave me 50 hours of fun.
  61. Mar 20, 2014
    This game is cocaine. I always tell myself, just one more then im done. I'll do homework. I'll sleep. I'll eat something.
    You know what, that was a cheap death, one more. Okay, just one more.
    Sweet, just beat the game. Oh new game plus? maybe just one more playthrough... This game is incredibly addictive and challenging. I have seen people who suck terribly still trying to press
    You know what, that was a cheap death, one more. Okay, just one more.

Sweet, just beat the game.

Oh new game plus? maybe just one more playthrough...

This game is incredibly addictive and challenging. I have seen people who suck terribly still trying to press through this game. Must have for anyone and everyone.
  62. Jul 14, 2014
    Rogue Legacy is a great new take on a Metroidvania style game. It's a roguelike but you get to use your gold and loot to purchase and unlock persistent upgrades across all your characters (makes it much more fun than the normal roguelike in my opinion). A very challenging game with really solid gameplay.
  63. Dec 27, 2013
    A great game, with an incredible adictive gameplay.
    80 hours gameplay, If you want to unlock everything. A excellent character progression system, a fun sense of humor.
    With the last update, the new remixed bosses, the new achievements, the game turns into a very hard challenge. Hardcore players will be satisfied.
    The only bad point, we need more variety of enemies!
  64. Dec 11, 2013
    As far as rogue-likes go this one is pretty great. While it looks repetitive the different character builds, items, and runes add a great variety. Roguelikes have become a bit more popular and with that they're also easier for most players to pick up and most play-throughs are shorter. Having said that this is not easy but it's still great to sit down and play a couple runs and not have toAs far as rogue-likes go this one is pretty great. While it looks repetitive the different character builds, items, and runes add a great variety. Roguelikes have become a bit more popular and with that they're also easier for most players to pick up and most play-throughs are shorter. Having said that this is not easy but it's still great to sit down and play a couple runs and not have to invest an hour into it without having to give up.

It should be said that if platforming isn't your thing then the game should probably be passed on, it's responsible for the core mechanic. Also, later on the upgrades do slow down as they get more expensive but the idea is that by switching up different classes and traits you can go into each run with a goal in mind (taking a boss or finding plans/runes).

All in all the game is quite enjoyable, it's a great mesh between a platformer and a roguelike.
  65. Mar 12, 2015
    Brilliant little gem of a game. However you need to put the time in to reap the rewards. Get through an hour of gaming and it will all make sense. Highly addictive and very fun.
  66. Feb 26, 2014
    Excellent game, very very enjoyable, I'm not a fan of rogue type games, but this one did a great job at being a bit random with tons of twists, it was easy to get very addicted to it, wanting to upgrade mansion fully and get all the things, I very much enjoyed all the time I've spent playing this!
  67. Mar 15, 2014
    Here comes a computer game from Cellar Door Games that not only advances the genre of the roguelike, but also add lots of replay value after you beat the game

Using 2D side scrolling graphics, the game runs very smooth and without any hitches. The music, while dreary, adds a sense of ambiance to the game. What makes Rogue Legacy unique from your traditional Roguelike is that after your character dies to any of the game's various monsters and traps, you get to pick from a random list of three heirs, with varying job classes and traits, with more job classes made available as you spend your hard-earned gold on new perks

Just like any other roguelike, the game gets hard but the risk vs reward is well worth it. Rogue Legacy can be played with either the keyboard or a gamepad. I prefer the gamepad for this one.

At the end of the day, Rogue Legacy is one of the better, if not the best, roguelike available on Steam and is worth checking out.
  68. Mar 17, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Sorry to break it to you, but if you like being spoon fed a victory, go elsewhere. This game is back in the old school, drag you through broken glass hard modes that have sadly been missing from games. This and other rogue-likes are getting more notoriety because there is a genuine challenge.

Hate the random levels? use the architect to lock in a castle design.
    Hate your blondie hero? Well, its better than IBS.

My major complaint is that it feels awkward with a keyboard. For a game being a rogue-like metroidvainia the controls should be tight as hell, but i think it conveys the desperation of one life well without making you feel like a fool for dying.

as Sir Leopold said on his death,
    "$%^$#&"
  69. Jun 18, 2014
    Great 2D side-scrolling game with rogue-lite system. You can buy equipment, runes even upgrade your castle for permanent improvements of your heroes. Yes, heroes, because every time you die, you choose your heir who will follow up your adventure. There are many classes of heroes, with different spells and characteristic (your heir can be colorblind, when everything is black'n'white, orGreat 2D side-scrolling game with rogue-lite system. You can buy equipment, runes even upgrade your castle for permanent improvements of your heroes. Yes, heroes, because every time you die, you choose your heir who will follow up your adventure. There are many classes of heroes, with different spells and characteristic (your heir can be colorblind, when everything is black'n'white, or farsighted, when thing close to your hero are blur). I recommend this game for everyone who from time to time wanna chill out with simple, relaxing but challenging game :) Expand
  70. May 26, 2015
    Pros:
    Very rewarding
    Challenging
    New every time (rogue-like)

Cons:
    Later in the game when you unlock more characters, you'll have trouble playing a character class that you like
    The persistent items (but not spells) aren't that interesting
  71. DDP
    May 3, 2015
    Fast and fun, on top of that hard to leave XD. This game is one of the best examples of 2D games and manages to reach levels of fun you would have got only with the Ghost and Goblins games! One of the best purchases ever made!
  72. May 22, 2015
    A roguelike game like no other, with a perfect balance between difficulty and fun. You start off with a random character each time you die, ranging from a short-sighted midget to a dyslexic giant who is colourblind. The controls in the game felt floaty, which is actually what makes the game hard. Very simple controls with very few buttons, but still fun to play. The game also introduces aA roguelike game like no other, with a perfect balance between difficulty and fun. You start off with a random character each time you die, ranging from a short-sighted midget to a dyslexic giant who is colourblind. The controls in the game felt floaty, which is actually what makes the game hard. Very simple controls with very few buttons, but still fun to play. The game also introduces a whole new side to the genre. Every time you die, to get back in the castle you have to give up all the money from the previous dungeon. As always, you enter a randomly generated castle with 3 other locations to explore and each one features a different difficulty for each one. Yes, the game is so hard that it will leave you buying a new keyboard, but there is something about it that makes you want to keep playing. There is also a large variety of enemies in the game, all with different attacks and powers depending on their level. You need a lot of skill to be able to beat the game and you need to master the strategy for each enemy to win. There are 4 bosses each with different attacks, but god are they hard especially when your just starting out. The game has a LOT of upgrades to choose from, and the amount of time you can put into this game is insane. The game is difficult so you don't get all the upgrades too soon, but so fun that it really wont bother you much. In my opinion, this game is the heart of roguelikes and a game like this really should get more recognition than it currently does. If you're fond of roguelikes, give this one a shot, I'm sure you will love it. Expand
  73. Sep 4, 2013

1. Mar 11, 2014
    If you look up the word addiction in a dictionary, you will find out what that word means. But the dictionary might just as well display a picture of Rogue Legacy. [Dec 2013]
  2. Dec 9, 2013
    Amazing old-school mechanics meet modern conventions.
  3. Oct 16, 2013
    Roguelike games have become increasingly popular of late and it’s great to see one which rewards you for all the time spent by allowing a form of character progression. It’s mitigated to a point by having you lose all your money before entering a castle and each purchased bonus makes all the others more expensive.