Rogue Trooper PC

8.3

1. AdrianR.
    Oct 30, 2007
    Great game up until the point wherehelm pilots a flyer then the problem starts. I get about 4fps on a core 2 E6750, Nvidia GTS8800 320MB, fatal1ty x-fi and 4 gig of ram. Have tried changing the details to minimum to no aail. The game just becomes unplayable. Shame really as was enjoying it up until then.
  2. MattB
    May 5, 2006
    I was a bit apprehensive about buying Rogue Trooper, based on there only being a handful of official reviews (those that are currently available are pretty mixed in their opinions too). I decided to pick it up anyway, being an on-off fan of the comic. I was resolved to an average shooter, marked out from the crowd only by its setting. It was a pleasant surprise, then, to find that Rogue I was a bit apprehensive about buying Rogue Trooper, based on there only being a handful of official reviews (those that are currently available are pretty mixed in their opinions too). I decided to pick it up anyway, being an on-off fan of the comic. I was resolved to an average shooter, marked out from the crowd only by its setting. It was a pleasant surprise, then, to find that Rogue Trooper offers a very polished, fun blast through one of the most popular 2000AD battlefields. Lifting itself nicely above the average in the process. The intro cutscene and Quartz Zone Massacre level really bring to life the Rogue Trooper universe. Helm, Gunnar and Bagman are introduced, and find their way to each bio-chip slot in your kit (pleasingly blasé about their predicament post-mortem). The mechanics of each buddy's contribution to your Nort-killing power are well realised and integrated into the genre of the game, though there's a feeling more could've been done to really bring out this angle. The close-combat stealth kills are nicely visceral, varied enough, and pay homage to the brutal antics of the Rogue from the comics. Graphics are nice'n'shiny. The game looks lovely with a bit of anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering; and the look is a good balance between stylised comicbook and a more realist approach. Sound is pleasingly chunky, the chattering of Rogue's GI rifle providing a thought of "yeah, THIS is how I imagined it would sound" when first heard. The voice actors give solid performances throughout, playing their roles with a healthy dose of melodrama and caricature. The soundtrack is a good, quirky techno affair; very atomspheric. All this adds up to a quality product that Rebellion can certainly be proud of (doubly-so considering the seemingly tiny team that worked on the game). Inevitably we move on to the negatives though. Level design suffers a fair bit from linearity. One or two alternative routes are offered here and there, but you'll find yourself funnelled most of the time. Gameplay can become a little repetitive in the latter stages, though this is broken up a little by a couple of on-rails sections (which work pretty well, those of you groaning at their mere mention). Neveretheless you can find yourself defaulting to a standard style of run-and-gun, rendering Helm's holographic distraction, Bagman's micro-mine ambushes and the like somewhat redundant. So, what we have is a fine offering to fans of the comic (certainly head and shoulders above Dredd vs Death), and a commendable action game for those to whom things like "The Scheme's The Thing!" and "Venus Bluegenes" hold no meaning. Let's hope it does well enough to justify an expansion pack or sequel. Expand
  3. ChromaB.
    Nov 17, 2006
    Hmmm... I played Piranha's Rogue Trooper when it came out on the ZX Spectrum back in the 1980s (yip, I'll that old!). Certainly an improvement on the 8-bit graphics of that era! In summary: PROS - Faithful to story - I followed Rogue in the late 1980's QC reprint. CONS - 1) The 3rd person perspective takes a bit of getting used to when you were raised on CastleWolfenstein Hmmm... I played Piranha's Rogue Trooper when it came out on the ZX Spectrum back in the 1980s (yip, I'll that old!). Certainly an improvement on the 8-bit graphics of that era! In summary: PROS - Faithful to story - I followed Rogue in the late 1980's QC reprint. CONS - 1) The 3rd person perspective takes a bit of getting used to when you were raised on CastleWolfenstein 3D/Doom 2) The graphics are not on par with HL2 or FC 3) It feels like a console game.... 4) Far too short - quick development cycle no doubt - game to market. Overall great fun - worth a purchase on eBay and a must for 2000AD fans. Expand
  4. Sep 29, 2010
    Surprising.I was suspicious about this game but after i finished it i found a solid game from which i had minimum expectings.No bugs nice gameplay nice graphics and full of action.GOOD.
  5. Apr 15, 2015
    This game brings a lot of interesting ideas and mechanics to the 3rd person shooting genre, but other than that, it's basically a mediocre shooter. While the new mechanics make it fun the first time through, I never had the patience to sit through the game again. The story is not bad, though.

1. Play Magazine
    Elements such as stealth and stealth kills, blind firing, and the employment of cover in firefights add little to Trooper's mystique; they won't be used much as they slow down the pace to an almost unbearable crawl. [May 2006, p.53]
  2. It's amazing when you sit down with a game that you had the lowest of expectations for, only to find an incredibly well put together experience.
  3. A strong sense of style that stays close to the source material, Rogue Trooper isn't just one for the fans however; an intensive and sometimes intelligent shooter, Rogue Trooper is certainly one that could interest you if you're looking for a shooter that's a little bit different to the usual.