8.3

1. BugStomper
    Feb 28, 2009
    Even though I'm a huge fan of the comics I gave Rogue Trooper a miss when it was first released on PC due to some rather average reviews it received. Picking this up on budget last week (it's Feb 2009 as I type this) I realised that I'd made a huge mistake! Yes it's showing its age now even when ramped up to the max with lots of AA and AF, but Rogue Trooper is one of Even though I'm a huge fan of the comics I gave Rogue Trooper a miss when it was first released on PC due to some rather average reviews it received. Picking this up on budget last week (it's Feb 2009 as I type this) I realised that I'd made a huge mistake! Yes it's showing its age now even when ramped up to the max with lots of AA and AF, but Rogue Trooper is one of the most fun games I've played in years. It just oozes playability! Rogue Trooper is a real no-nonsense shooter with plenty of options on how to approach the game and nothing (yes nothing!) but really nicely designed levels. The biochip banter made me contantly smile as it's so well realised from the comics. I laughed out loud when I'd placed gunner on his own and he was cheerily gunning Norts down whilst I was creeping about stealthily knifing my way through the rest. As a 3rd person game I experienced no problems with the camera at all and Rogue fades in and out so you can always see what you're doing no bother. Yes it contains an on rails section but you know what, it was bl**dy good fun and I say that as someone who normally hates on rails sections with a passion! Finally onto the music. I play games with my Sony MDR V6 headphones on and the film style soundtrack is incredible! Seriously the detail and atmosphere that provides the game with was just jaw dropping. All in all it's just one incredibly fun game that you'll find yourself replaying time and time again trying to beat it in different ways. Expand
  2. MarkJ.
    May 12, 2006
    I was very impressed bye this, it is by far the best thierd personshooter on the market today.
  3. JonathanL.
    May 23, 2006
    A great shooter with a few original twists in gameplay. The inventory system is superb and a lot less 'arcade' like than the usual health pacs and power pills. Rogue Trooper is incredibly faithful to the 2000AD strip which the game is based upon.
  4. CliftonM.
    May 1, 2007
    I liked this game a lot and have had a lot of fun with it.
  5. KyleD
    Jun 5, 2009
    I really love this game, it fits the comic very well. I don't know why it got an overall 69!!! It's just amazing!!
  6. RJ
    Aug 26, 2009
    Great Game - a lot of fun - atmosphere 10 soundtrack 10 game-play 10 graphics 10. if i had to fault it - it would be down to poor acting. with dumb sounding accents... also the flak guns a bit too easy... none the less still giving it 10 out of ten :)
  7. SteveG.
    May 25, 2006
    Very good 3rd person action/stealth game. Impressively faithful to the comic (although that is to be expected as Rebellion own it now!). Graphics are good, work well for the setting. Sound and music are also good. If only it was longer!
  8. ArsenicLondon
    Apr 25, 2008
    Just finished this absolute gem of a game. It's a fantastic interpretation of the Rogue Trooper world. The art's great, the audio's great and it plays really well too. Other developers could learn a lot from this - short chapters; well crafted levels; dramatic set-pieces and cinematics that are well worth watching and never drag. Do yourself a favour and play this game - Just finished this absolute gem of a game. It's a fantastic interpretation of the Rogue Trooper world. The art's great, the audio's great and it plays really well too. Other developers could learn a lot from this - short chapters; well crafted levels; dramatic set-pieces and cinematics that are well worth watching and never drag. Do yourself a favour and play this game - ones as good as this don't come around often. Top marks Rebellion! Expand
  9. JoshM
    Dec 30, 2009
    After picking this up for a bargain in a bundle, not expecting much from this and possibly very little play time with it, I'm finding it really fun and right this moment I wonder how the critics gave this mediocre scores. The graphics are great, even now, the gameplay is solid and works well, the story and dialogue while slightly cheesey doesn't take away from the game at all. I After picking this up for a bargain in a bundle, not expecting much from this and possibly very little play time with it, I'm finding it really fun and right this moment I wonder how the critics gave this mediocre scores. The graphics are great, even now, the gameplay is solid and works well, the story and dialogue while slightly cheesey doesn't take away from the game at all. I like this game a lot. Collapse
  10. JohnE.
    Jun 29, 2008
    The one word that this game brings to mind is "polished." Everything just feels very well put together, very tight. The gameplay is a mix of third person stealth and action, and in most situations you can make that choice yourself (though I found stealth to be the path of least resistance most of the time). It has one of the best cover systems I've seen - dirt simple to use, but it The one word that this game brings to mind is "polished." Everything just feels very well put together, very tight. The gameplay is a mix of third person stealth and action, and in most situations you can make that choice yourself (though I found stealth to be the path of least resistance most of the time). It has one of the best cover systems I've seen - dirt simple to use, but it behaves exactly as you'd expect whether you are sneaking along obstacles, shooting around them, or shoulder-rolling from one to the next. The levels tend to feel like linear segments connecting very dynamic "encounters," where the real action happens. Most of these encounters feel organic, allowing for a variety of tactics which complement your refreshingly varied bag of tricks. Rarely do you feel as though you are "supposed to" use a particular strategy to defeat a given challenge. Finding something that works for you in the heat of the moment is a very rewarding experience, and facilitating this situation is what this game does better than most. The graphics look good, with a unique stylization, and the audio is top-notch. The voice acting in particular is very good, and if you can get into the kitschyness of the story it's a lot of fun. I've heard many complain that the game is too short, but it was actually about right for me, and the pacing was solid throughout. Expand
  11. Dec 30, 2010
    This is actually a great shooter, graphically maybe it looks a bit uninteresting but I think that is to match the comic book style more than anything. The gameplay is excellent and provides enough new features to the crowded third person shooter genre to keep things from feeling same old same old. I Enjoyed the story, its actually not as predictable as I thought.

Overall the game is fun &

Overall the game is fun & if you respect its comic book origins affected its graphical it does not really look that dated, I really question why when it first came out it got such poor reviews.....

1. Elements such as stealth and stealth kills, blind firing, and the employment of cover in firefights add little to Trooper's mystique; they won't be used much as they slow down the pace to an almost unbearable crawl. [May 2006, p.53]
  2. It's amazing when you sit down with a game that you had the lowest of expectations for, only to find an incredibly well put together experience.
  3. A strong sense of style that stays close to the source material, Rogue Trooper isn't just one for the fans however; an intensive and sometimes intelligent shooter, Rogue Trooper is certainly one that could interest you if you're looking for a shooter that's a little bit different to the usual.