8.3

1. BugStomper
    Feb 28, 2009
    Even though I'm a huge fan of the comics I gave Rogue Trooper a miss when it was first released on PC due to some rather average reviews it received. Picking this up on budget last week (it's Feb 2009 as I type this) I realised that I'd made a huge mistake! Yes it's showing its age now even when ramped up to the max with lots of AA and AF, but Rogue Trooper is one of Even though I'm a huge fan of the comics I gave Rogue Trooper a miss when it was first released on PC due to some rather average reviews it received. Picking this up on budget last week (it's Feb 2009 as I type this) I realised that I'd made a huge mistake! Yes it's showing its age now even when ramped up to the max with lots of AA and AF, but Rogue Trooper is one of the most fun games I've played in years. It just oozes playability! Rogue Trooper is a real no-nonsense shooter with plenty of options on how to approach the game and nothing (yes nothing!) but really nicely designed levels. The biochip banter made me contantly smile as it's so well realised from the comics. I laughed out loud when I'd placed gunner on his own and he was cheerily gunning Norts down whilst I was creeping about stealthily knifing my way through the rest. As a 3rd person game I experienced no problems with the camera at all and Rogue fades in and out so you can always see what you're doing no bother. Yes it contains an on rails section but you know what, it was bl**dy good fun and I say that as someone who normally hates on rails sections with a passion! Finally onto the music. I play games with my Sony MDR V6 headphones on and the film style soundtrack is incredible! Seriously the detail and atmosphere that provides the game with was just jaw dropping. All in all it's just one incredibly fun game that you'll find yourself replaying time and time again trying to beat it in different ways. Expand
  2. MarkJ.
    May 12, 2006
    I was very impressed bye this, it is by far the best thierd personshooter on the market today.
  3. JonathanL.
    May 23, 2006
    A great shooter with a few original twists in gameplay. The inventory system is superb and a lot less 'arcade' like than the usual health pacs and power pills. Rogue Trooper is incredibly faithful to the 2000AD strip which the game is based upon.
  4. AdrianR.
    Oct 30, 2007
    Great game up until the point wherehelm pilots a flyer then the problem starts. I get about 4fps on a core 2 E6750, Nvidia GTS8800 320MB, fatal1ty x-fi and 4 gig of ram. Have tried changing the details to minimum to no aail. The game just becomes unplayable. Shame really as was enjoying it up until then.
  5. CliftonM.
    May 1, 2007
    I liked this game a lot and have had a lot of fun with it.
  6. KarlL
    May 1, 2008
    Pretty much gears of war, with much more interesting gameplay, a better story with much more interesting characters (as you would expect since its based of a long running comic) But worse graphics then gears of course.
  7. KyleD
    Jun 5, 2009
    I really love this game, it fits the comic very well. I don't know why it got an overall 69!!! It's just amazing!!
  8. RJ
    Aug 26, 2009
    Great Game - a lot of fun - atmosphere 10 soundtrack 10 game-play 10 graphics 10. if i had to fault it - it would be down to poor acting. with dumb sounding accents... also the flak guns a bit too easy... none the less still giving it 10 out of ten :)
  9. SteveG.
    May 25, 2006
    Very good 3rd person action/stealth game. Impressively faithful to the comic (although that is to be expected as Rebellion own it now!). Graphics are good, work well for the setting. Sound and music are also good. If only it was longer!
  10. MattB
    May 5, 2006
    I was a bit apprehensive about buying Rogue Trooper, based on there only being a handful of official reviews (those that are currently available are pretty mixed in their opinions too). I decided to pick it up anyway, being an on-off fan of the comic. I was resolved to an average shooter, marked out from the crowd only by its setting. It was a pleasant surprise, then, to find that Rogue I was a bit apprehensive about buying Rogue Trooper, based on there only being a handful of official reviews (those that are currently available are pretty mixed in their opinions too). I decided to pick it up anyway, being an on-off fan of the comic. I was resolved to an average shooter, marked out from the crowd only by its setting. It was a pleasant surprise, then, to find that Rogue Trooper offers a very polished, fun blast through one of the most popular 2000AD battlefields. Lifting itself nicely above the average in the process. The intro cutscene and Quartz Zone Massacre level really bring to life the Rogue Trooper universe. Helm, Gunnar and Bagman are introduced, and find their way to each bio-chip slot in your kit (pleasingly blasé about their predicament post-mortem). The mechanics of each buddy's contribution to your Nort-killing power are well realised and integrated into the genre of the game, though there's a feeling more could've been done to really bring out this angle. The close-combat stealth kills are nicely visceral, varied enough, and pay homage to the brutal antics of the Rogue from the comics. Graphics are nice'n'shiny. The game looks lovely with a bit of anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering; and the look is a good balance between stylised comicbook and a more realist approach. Sound is pleasingly chunky, the chattering of Rogue's GI rifle providing a thought of "yeah, THIS is how I imagined it would sound" when first heard. The voice actors give solid performances throughout, playing their roles with a healthy dose of melodrama and caricature. The soundtrack is a good, quirky techno affair; very atomspheric. All this adds up to a quality product that Rebellion can certainly be proud of (doubly-so considering the seemingly tiny team that worked on the game). Inevitably we move on to the negatives though. Level design suffers a fair bit from linearity. One or two alternative routes are offered here and there, but you'll find yourself funnelled most of the time. Gameplay can become a little repetitive in the latter stages, though this is broken up a little by a couple of on-rails sections (which work pretty well, those of you groaning at their mere mention). Neveretheless you can find yourself defaulting to a standard style of run-and-gun, rendering Helm's holographic distraction, Bagman's micro-mine ambushes and the like somewhat redundant. So, what we have is a fine offering to fans of the comic (certainly head and shoulders above Dredd vs Death), and a commendable action game for those to whom things like "The Scheme's The Thing!" and "Venus Bluegenes" hold no meaning. Let's hope it does well enough to justify an expansion pack or sequel. Expand
  11. ArsenicLondon
    Apr 25, 2008
    Just finished this absolute gem of a game. It's a fantastic interpretation of the Rogue Trooper world. The art's great, the audio's great and it plays really well too. Other developers could learn a lot from this - short chapters; well crafted levels; dramatic set-pieces and cinematics that are well worth watching and never drag. Do yourself a favour and play this game - Just finished this absolute gem of a game. It's a fantastic interpretation of the Rogue Trooper world. The art's great, the audio's great and it plays really well too. Other developers could learn a lot from this - short chapters; well crafted levels; dramatic set-pieces and cinematics that are well worth watching and never drag. Do yourself a favour and play this game - ones as good as this don't come around often. Top marks Rebellion! Expand
  12. JoshM
    Dec 30, 2009
    After picking this up for a bargain in a bundle, not expecting much from this and possibly very little play time with it, I'm finding it really fun and right this moment I wonder how the critics gave this mediocre scores. The graphics are great, even now, the gameplay is solid and works well, the story and dialogue while slightly cheesey doesn't take away from the game at all. I After picking this up for a bargain in a bundle, not expecting much from this and possibly very little play time with it, I'm finding it really fun and right this moment I wonder how the critics gave this mediocre scores. The graphics are great, even now, the gameplay is solid and works well, the story and dialogue while slightly cheesey doesn't take away from the game at all. I like this game a lot. Expand
  13. BRIANP
    Jul 22, 2007
    i GIVE IT AN 8 JUST FOR THE PRICE, FOUND IT FOR 10 bucks, and it's worth the money. I still havent beaten it yet but Ive only played a few levels. Seems pretty fun. Reminds me of killswitch or anoth shooter we've all played and liked. Its no cs though.
  14. JohnE.
    Jun 29, 2008
    The one word that this game brings to mind is "polished." Everything just feels very well put together, very tight. The gameplay is a mix of third person stealth and action, and in most situations you can make that choice yourself (though I found stealth to be the path of least resistance most of the time). It has one of the best cover systems I've seen - dirt simple to use, but it The one word that this game brings to mind is "polished." Everything just feels very well put together, very tight. The gameplay is a mix of third person stealth and action, and in most situations you can make that choice yourself (though I found stealth to be the path of least resistance most of the time). It has one of the best cover systems I've seen - dirt simple to use, but it behaves exactly as you'd expect whether you are sneaking along obstacles, shooting around them, or shoulder-rolling from one to the next. The levels tend to feel like linear segments connecting very dynamic "encounters," where the real action happens. Most of these encounters feel organic, allowing for a variety of tactics which complement your refreshingly varied bag of tricks. Rarely do you feel as though you are "supposed to" use a particular strategy to defeat a given challenge. Finding something that works for you in the heat of the moment is a very rewarding experience, and facilitating this situation is what this game does better than most. The graphics look good, with a unique stylization, and the audio is top-notch. The voice acting in particular is very good, and if you can get into the kitschyness of the story it's a lot of fun. I've heard many complain that the game is too short, but it was actually about right for me, and the pacing was solid throughout. Expand
  15. ChromaB.
    Nov 17, 2006
    Hmmm... I played Piranha's Rogue Trooper when it came out on the ZX Spectrum back in the 1980s (yip, I'll that old!). Certainly an improvement on the 8-bit graphics of that era! In summary: PROS - Faithful to story - I followed Rogue in the late 1980's QC reprint. CONS - 1) The 3rd person perspective takes a bit of getting used to when you were raised on CastleWolfenstein Hmmm... I played Piranha's Rogue Trooper when it came out on the ZX Spectrum back in the 1980s (yip, I'll that old!). Certainly an improvement on the 8-bit graphics of that era! In summary: PROS - Faithful to story - I followed Rogue in the late 1980's QC reprint. CONS - 1) The 3rd person perspective takes a bit of getting used to when you were raised on CastleWolfenstein 3D/Doom 2) The graphics are not on par with HL2 or FC 3) It feels like a console game.... 4) Far too short - quick development cycle no doubt - game to market. Overall great fun - worth a purchase on eBay and a must for 2000AD fans. Expand
  16. Sep 29, 2010
    Surprising.I was suspicious about this game but after i finished it i found a solid game from which i had minimum expectings.No bugs nice gameplay nice graphics and full of action.GOOD.
  17. Dec 30, 2010
    This is actually a great shooter, graphically maybe it looks a bit uninteresting but I think that is to match the comic book style more than anything. The gameplay is excellent and provides enough new features to the crowded third person shooter genre to keep things from feeling same old same old. I Enjoyed the story, its actually not as predictable as I thought.

Overall the game is fun &

Overall the game is fun & if you respect its comic book origins affected its graphical it does not really look that dated, I really question why when it first came out it got such poor reviews.....
  18. Nov 20, 2011
    Fun, immersive take on a classic 2000AD series. Fans of the comic will really love this one and it is well worth a play, even if it is now showing some signs of age (it was released in 2006). Rogue Trooper is still a great play for the money and is available for a very good price on Steam.
  19. 6nd
    Nov 29, 2013
    Great game. Cliche story. But I digress. I wouldn't have chosen this particularly beaten path for just any old reason. Rogue's different from other protagonists. Implemented next gen features such as: A slick cover system, solid controls, and a mighty fine AI. It's his dynamic, and I'll be if it isn't one of the most original, and creative I've ever seen.
  20. Apr 15, 2015
    This game brings a lot of interesting ideas and mechanics to the 3rd person shooting genre, but other than that, it's basically a mediocre shooter. While the new mechanics make it fun the first time through, I never had the patience to sit through the game again. The story is not bad, though.

1. Elements such as stealth and stealth kills, blind firing, and the employment of cover in firefights add little to Trooper's mystique; they won't be used much as they slow down the pace to an almost unbearable crawl. [May 2006, p.53]
  2. It's amazing when you sit down with a game that you had the lowest of expectations for, only to find an incredibly well put together experience.
  3. A strong sense of style that stays close to the source material, Rogue Trooper isn't just one for the fans however; an intensive and sometimes intelligent shooter, Rogue Trooper is certainly one that could interest you if you're looking for a shooter that's a little bit different to the usual.