Rome: Total War PC

9.1

1. Dec 3, 2011
    If I had to play one game for the rest of my life, this would be it. This game has more re-playability than any other and is amazing at everything it does.
  2. Jul 29, 2013
    An excellent game. If you haven't seen it yet or played other games in the Total War series, be sure to check this one out. I played the grand campaign at least 3 times, and played for non-roman ones (including those you can unlock by editing a config file) everything is just great. In multiplayer, there are slight disbalances (e.g. overpowered berserkers) but if you abide to "CWB" rules,An excellent game. If you haven't seen it yet or played other games in the Total War series, be sure to check this one out. I played the grand campaign at least 3 times, and played for non-roman ones (including those you can unlock by editing a config file) everything is just great. In multiplayer, there are slight disbalances (e.g. overpowered berserkers) but if you abide to "CWB" rules, the game will be pretty balanced. Expand
  3. Feb 29, 2016
    By the time, the best game i've had opportunity to play. Certainly one that had come with lots of new ideas and improvements to the gaming world. I wish they could make another one that would match its league.
  4. Aug 1, 2012
    Definitely one of the best turn-based strategy games I've ever played. I first played it as a freshman in college, and now years later it's still a solid game. While the graphics are no longer impressive and many of the subsequent Total War games have improved on many of the features, Rome remains an enjoyable game with much replay value. While the AI is not particularly good, it usuallyDefinitely one of the best turn-based strategy games I've ever played. I first played it as a freshman in college, and now years later it's still a solid game. While the graphics are no longer impressive and many of the subsequent Total War games have improved on many of the features, Rome remains an enjoyable game with much replay value. While the AI is not particularly good, it usually provides a sufficient challenge, and even after having played the campaign through a half dozen times, the campaign map AI still does things I've not seen before. Expand
  5. Jun 10, 2014
    Sin duda uno de los híbrido de estrategia a tiempo real y por turnos mejor realizados. La macrogestión de las posesiones unido a la microgestión de las batallas le convierten en un juego muy completo que puedes rejugar y rejugar.
  6. Jan 1, 2013
    Still a very solid strategy title though it suffers somewhat from the graphics adjustments for new monitors: thus looking worse now that it did when it could be seen on the old standard 14" monitors. This game got everything right in terms of unit deiversity, campaign balance, scale, scope, challenge and replayability. It is fun, hard, and intriguing. Individual battles are enjoyable andStill a very solid strategy title though it suffers somewhat from the graphics adjustments for new monitors: thus looking worse now that it did when it could be seen on the old standard 14" monitors. This game got everything right in terms of unit deiversity, campaign balance, scale, scope, challenge and replayability. It is fun, hard, and intriguing. Individual battles are enjoyable and the evolution of a faction over time is exhilerating as you unlock elite units. In many ways it is no longer a 10/10 game. But I'll go for the high score due to nostalgia and many good memories. This game is a rare event that can actually teach the player history. Expand
  7. Oct 26, 2013
    The best strategy game ever made; ingenious in every way. This game is streets ahead of it's sequel nearly a decade later. If you want a good Rome-themed strategy; reinstall this or buy for a pittance as it's one of the most in-depth and engrossing titles produced in any genre.
  8. Oct 3, 2015
    Rome Total War salió en 2004 hace 9 años y decir que todavía después de esos 9 años lo tengo reciente en mi historial , Y a un sigo jugando y viciandome como si fuese un videjuego recién salido del horno , así llevo estos 9 años , instalado en mi ordenador desde el día en que salió . Simplemente OBRA MAESTRA DE LA ESTATEGIA . ! LARGA VIDA ROME TOTAL WAR !
  9. Dec 31, 2013
    This is undoubtedly the best game of the year. With well-written script, amazing graphics which stuns you, especially when you're in battle mode with thousands of soldiers, literally, crashing and fighting for their own factions, and most importantly, impressive AI in level "hard" and "very hard" that catches me on surprise numerous times, Rome Total War earns it's place to be one of theThis is undoubtedly the best game of the year. With well-written script, amazing graphics which stuns you, especially when you're in battle mode with thousands of soldiers, literally, crashing and fighting for their own factions, and most importantly, impressive AI in level "hard" and "very hard" that catches me on surprise numerous times, Rome Total War earns it's place to be one of the greatest Real-time strategy game of all time. Expand
  10. Jul 7, 2011
    Ahh.. Rome Total War...
    Ahh.. Rome Total War...
    When modern PC gamers hear the word 'strategy' they will instantly think of the Total War series (Rome in particular) and StarCraft. Although Shogun: Total War was the first game of the series, I really like having Rome as the 'defining' point of the series of genre. Rome: Total War allows you to play as a mighty Roman general on his conquest of dominance and power. Seeing thousands of soldiers clash into each other is just epic and at the same time careful tactics and strategies must be used to win. One of the problems I had with this game is the 'aggro' some of you 'allies' have. I remember becoming the powerhouse of the Roman Empire but all of the sudden every single general begins to oppose me as they realize I am a threat. This game be VERY annoying at times. Although I can see a couple complaints with a few people who dislike the slow pacing of the game. Overall I give this game a 8/10.
    +Defined the 'Total War' strategy.
    +Awesome spectacules
    -Slow pace
    -Ally Aggro
  11. Sep 26, 2013
    Based on the time it was made, this is a rarely PERFECT game.

The beautiful core of the game is the tension between the 3 main political factions of Rome. The player takes on one faction and has to earn glory for Rome, while watching his back. Too much success can bring on the ire of the other factions. It is interesting that this beautiful design was not invented by Creative
    Based on the time it was made, this is a rarely PERFECT game.

It is interesting that this beautiful design was not invented by Creative Assembly, it reflects the genius at the heart of the real Roman political system. This system was destroyed historically by the megalomania of Gaius Julius (known to us as Julius Caesar. Caesar is not a name, it is the title: Kaiser, or king). Julius Caesar effectively destroyed the republican system and for this sin, he was assassinated. His son. became the first emperor (Augustus).

This game is great because it learns from and makes accessible to us, the dynamics of true political genius. Its a history lesson, and it took its design cues from the real past.

Beyond that the tactical battles are fun. Following the lives and careers of your factional families is intriguing. You always want to see how many stars you can get a general before he dies or goes crazy.The campaign is big and challenging. Final success is rewarding.

Overall, Rome Total war remains a triumph of game design. With a few mods to update the graphics it remains eminently worth playing.

Update to September 2013: This month CA went and took a dump on the brilliance of Rome total War by stripping away all the best bits to give us soul-less overblown, pretty-as-a-picture-but-no-fun-to-play Rome 2.

Nice work guys!

NOT!

Orctowngrot.
  12. Jan 21, 2012
    A great game, along with Shogun 2 the best of the Total War series. What's unique about this game compared with the rest of the series is that it is actually quite balanced.
  13. Mar 18, 2011
    Rome:TW is one of those irritating games that does everything well and nothing excellent. The strength of this game is in the variety of game play you can do. If you want, you can set everything to auto and do nothing but move ships with their armies around and have an entire game take ten hours. On the other hand, you can get really deep into this game and have 100+ hour games. It's upRome:TW is one of those irritating games that does everything well and nothing excellent. The strength of this game is in the variety of game play you can do. If you want, you can set everything to auto and do nothing but move ships with their armies around and have an entire game take ten hours. On the other hand, you can get really deep into this game and have 100+ hour games. It's up to you how deep you want to go.

The problem is that the deeper you get into the game the more you understand just how bad the UI really is. The interface for Diplomacy is buried under five mouse clicks. Ugh. On the other hand, if you set it to auto then you realize just how bad the AI is. I once lost a battle where the computer's 50 troops wiped out my 800 troops. Ugh. Then there is the whole modding community. RTR is an excellent mod. But in my opinion it creates as many problems as it solves. It might be more realistic but I don't think it's all that much fun. In the final analysis it's the sheer variety and flexibility that make this game raise above other strategy games. But it's not perfect. It's certainly worth the $10 you will pay today.
  14. Jul 17, 2013
    this game is excellent
    Turn based strategy combined with amazing real time battles, all well crafted and mixed with amazing voice acting, music and help system.
    this game is a must buy.
  15. Oct 13, 2014
    Rome Total War blows away the prequels of the franchise with all round better everything. Battles are captivating and more interactive than ever before, now is your chance to truly conquer the world with brutality.
    8/10 - Ben Hazelden
  16. Jun 30, 2016
    Great strategy game for its time. It is still a good game to this day, but it has clearly aged. The management of your cities for example can be incredibly painful when you have a lot of cities.
  17. Nov 10, 2011
    Listen to the people who are giving this game a 10, its true, the trolls dont know what they are talking about, because this game is REALLY AWESOME You play as rome, move out to defeat other factions and eventually vy for power against other power hungry romans, to rule the known world.
  18. May 27, 2014
    The graphics are great, the combat animations are real and intense, and most of all this game changed my life... seriously. It got me into Roman history, introduced me to military strategy, and is, really, much more than just a game. All who gave this game less than a 9, shame.
  19. Nov 29, 2015
    This game is a masterpiece. I still play this game at least once a year 11 years later and have probably logged over 500 hours into the game. It is my pick for the greatest game of all time.
  20. Sep 25, 2014
    I do not judge RTW by todays standards. The graphics and IA are obviously outdated. However even today, this game feels great, with many different ways of winning, many fight styles. By todays standards, it would be but 7 or 8. Even today, this game is way more pleasure to play than rome 2 tw.
  21. Jul 19, 2012
    Awsome and addictive strategy game!! Best strategy game ever for me. Graphics dosent count if the game is so good.Epic battles and campaign.. Played it for 300 hours, loved it
  22. Nov 14, 2015
    This game is timeless. One of the greatest game codes ever created.
    I started playing on release, and am still playing in 2015 onward...
    One of the pioneers of the strategy genre and a true hall of famer. Respect.
  23. Mar 28, 2011
    This is how today's Total War games should be: Simplified. Rome Total War is certainly one of the games that i spent most my time playing with. I was the Julii, Brutii,Scipii, Selucid Empire and more. Its strategy map music is heavenly so is the credits music.Good ol' days... I hope that Creative Assembly sees what really makes fans love this game because i'm not contend with the newThis is how today's Total War games should be: Simplified. Rome Total War is certainly one of the games that i spent most my time playing with. I was the Julii, Brutii,Scipii, Selucid Empire and more. Its strategy map music is heavenly so is the credits music.Good ol' days... I hope that Creative Assembly sees what really makes fans love this game because i'm not contend with the new direction they are taking with Empire, Napolean and Shogun 2 Total War. They contain so much details. I find them very confusing, so many flashy buttons everywhere... Just give me Rome Total War's interface and features and update graphics CA, that's all i'm asking. Expand
  24. Aug 13, 2014
    A masterpiece. One of the greatest strategy games every created. The soundtrack? Spectacular. Graphics? Still detailed and awe inspiring to this day. Gameplay? Nearly flawless. The replay-ability in this game will guarantee that you are occupied for many hours fighting battles and expanding your empire. This game got everything right, as it's one of the best in the entire Total War seriesA masterpiece. One of the greatest strategy games every created. The soundtrack? Spectacular. Graphics? Still detailed and awe inspiring to this day. Gameplay? Nearly flawless. The replay-ability in this game will guarantee that you are occupied for many hours fighting battles and expanding your empire. This game got everything right, as it's one of the best in the entire Total War series (with maybe the exception of Shogun 2. That game was incredible). Please do yourself a favor, pick this game up and give it a try. You will not regret it. Expand
  25. MJR
    Apr 27, 2011
    This game is an easy 1110 and the only reason is that I rated Shogun 2 first with a 10 but I still like this game better. Solution: do the impossible and give Rome an 11. I said that I LOVED Shogun 2 to death! but I LOVE ROME MORE!!!! While Shogun 2 is the absolute refinement of the series the era of the rise of Rome and then the expansion in which it is the fall of Rome is just...better.This game is an easy 1110 and the only reason is that I rated Shogun 2 first with a 10 but I still like this game better. Solution: do the impossible and give Rome an 11. I said that I LOVED Shogun 2 to death! but I LOVE ROME MORE!!!! While Shogun 2 is the absolute refinement of the series the era of the rise of Rome and then the expansion in which it is the fall of Rome is just...better. It may be a slight case of nostalgia because it was the first in the series I played and truly fell in love with but I owe it a lot. I found my passion for history because of this game. It means a lot to me and while its not perfect in its build it is beyond perfect in my eyes for how a strategy game should be. I don't know if someone today can pick up this game and appreciate it like I do, but believe it is truly a gem as is its barbarian invasions expansion. Expand
  26. Apr 6, 2013
    I had played Medieval total war and Total war Shogun II before I this game. I heard from some people that it was the best total war game, so I got it on steam. This game is awesome. The unit strategy is complex, the time period is interesting, the imperial campaign is fun, and Spartans are immortal lol
  27. Jan 16, 2012
    Truly spectacular game. You can control thousands of troops in a battle against thousands of troops. The campaign is also going to keep you playing for a long time. You can conquer and destroy other empires while empowering yours. It's really amazing. I just hope they can make the controls for the troops better and we can control the navies and fight the naval battles.
  28. Mar 9, 2012
    The most epic and incredible strategy game, still being played and will survive for decades! With epic mods such as Europa Barbarorum (the most original total conversion for any game out there) and Lord of the Rings : Total War this game really deserves a 10.
  29. Jun 8, 2014
    best game ever. I mean really best game ever along with empire total war and shogun. all 10 out of 10 games. aowidmawda it so bootiful so much memories and aoiwdawod
    CA has sone an amazing job on rome total war. by far the best stragety game out there along with shogun 2 and empire total war and yes ive played civ 5, tropcio, age of empires and all those other games.
  30. Oct 27, 2014
    My personally greatest strategy franchise of all time and the best strategy game of all time.Rome:Total War is one big masterpiece of strategy games!!
  31. Feb 22, 2016
    The original Rome Total War continues to be relevant even twelve years later and could be for much more time. It improved elements from the also great Medieval Total War I, not only visually, but also in almost every gameplay mechanic. With the poor second game of September 2013, the original is where your attention should focus on.

For those who are not familiar with the Total War

For those who are not familiar with the Total War series, its trademark is the combination of turn based strategy conducted in the world map, and real time battles in the tactical map. What you do in your grand strategy, influences what happens in battles and vice versa. In Rome Total War, you choose one from various factions: The Julii, Brutii, Scipii, Germans, Britons, Gauls, Egyptians, Tracians, Greeks, Macedonians, Parthia, Armenia, Pontus, Carthage, Scythia and Spain. Choosing a faction is important since all have strengths and weaknesses, which will play a major role in your strategy. Naturally, this game is about Rome and thus their factions are the more balanced.

You can play a grand campaign or a short campaign. The grand campaign, for any Roman faction, is to control about 50 provinces including Rome and thus, become emperor. Yes, you start when Rome is still a republic ruled by the senate, which is a non-playable faction. In the beginning, all Roman factions are allied to each other, but as the game progresses, the alliance will be broken since everyone’s objective is to become emperor. The short campaign is usually about outlasting other specific factions and to control a certain number of provinces.

If you are a Roman faction, in the beginning you will have deal with the senate, which will give you various tasks to increase the glory of Rome. It may also dictate how your diplomacy or aggression towards other factions should be. You may choose to ignore it, but you may lose important rewards and even risk civil war before you planned to.

Managing you family is also a key to success or fall. Each family has members with unique traits. Some of your sons will be good at commanding armies, while others may excel at politics and management. As in all families, there will be trouble makers, and it is up to you to deal with them: would you dispatch them into a suicidal mission? Will you embark them in a weak fleet to be drowned after a pirate attack? Will you send an assassin to kill him? Or will you keep him close to your faction leader and perhaps, discover untapped abilities? Yes, your generals will gain traits depending how they perform in battle, manage a city or deal with politics.

The strategic map encompasses Europe (except Scandinavia), North Africa and part of the Middle East. The world map is where you manage your cities and economy, build and move your armies, deal with politics, send your spies to the enemies, select your targets for assassins, and conduct diplomacy. It is divided in various provinces and each province may offer specific advantages. Some regions are good slave providers, others are good for farm production, and some have unique structures which boosts certain production values, such as the Temple of Zeus. Thus, it is not just about controlling regions for expansion sake only, but also about considering which regions are you going to protect or sacrifice to advance you grand strategy.

The tactical map is where you fight battles. When two or more contending armies collide in a region, there are decisions to make: fight the battle automatically or manually, or retreat (sometimes it is not possible depending on the situation in the strategic map). If you choose to fight, it is usually recommended to do it manually, since you are going to be in control of you army and, even if you are outnumbered, your brains may save the day. Here you may exploit the strengths of your units’ special abilities, the terrain and the moral boost of your general. It is also recommended to fight the battles manually, since you will enjoy the thrill of the battle, the music that changes according to the situation and the epic visuals with detailed units and collision (there is an option for a more arcade style).

Finally, if you are not in the mood for campaigns, do not worry. Rome Total War offers you the option of playing a quick, custom, or historical battle. And if your thing is to play against other human players, there is the multiplayer.

The pros:
    - Replay value, even if you play with the same faction
    - Graphics
    - Sound: music is top notch, the clash of battle is realistic, the general’s speeches before battle
    - Distinct factions with strengths and weaknesses
    - Various game options

The cons
    - Siege battles are a challenge for the AI
    - Diplomacy is random at times
    - Naval battles are automated and results are somewhat arbitrary
  32. Feb 22, 2012
    Don't listen to all the idiots giving this game a 6 or 7 or lower, since they obviously lack any real understanding of gaming as a medium or as a game of the mind. Rome Total War is probably the greatest of the total war games in my professional opinion, although my favorite would have to be Empire. Rome offers what many other games fail to do, give you unparralelled strategy game playDon't listen to all the idiots giving this game a 6 or 7 or lower, since they obviously lack any real understanding of gaming as a medium or as a game of the mind. Rome Total War is probably the greatest of the total war games in my professional opinion, although my favorite would have to be Empire. Rome offers what many other games fail to do, give you unparralelled strategy game play of the ancient Roman/Greek age. It's one thing to command armies on the campaign map, strategically positioning them to ambush your enemy or block routes, using diplomats, spies and assassins to your advantage, deceiving your allies or enemies, managing cities and towns, but it's another thing completely in the battle map. In the battle map it's a no-holds-barred kinda match, anything goes, it gives you totally complete freedom to setup your units as you wish, in formation how you wish and use them however you want. If you ever wondered what it would feel like to siege a Roman city as an invading Carthaginian army, feel free to do so in campaign or in a custom battle, you can use siege towers, battering rams, ladders, siege weapons like catapults, trebuchets and more to batter through your opponents defences. There is nothing quite like Rome Total War in terms of content and mere polish. Expand
  33. Apr 24, 2013
    This is my favorite game of all time what is saying allot this is the game that got me into R.T.S. after i exterminated my first village i never looked back ive dumped so many ours into this game its amazingly ridicules how fun and addictive it is. I highly recommend using the mod darthmod for making every battle an epic fight AND LEAVE NO ONE ALIVE. This is the perfect game to bring outThis is my favorite game of all time what is saying allot this is the game that got me into R.T.S. after i exterminated my first village i never looked back ive dumped so many ours into this game its amazingly ridicules how fun and addictive it is. I highly recommend using the mod darthmod for making every battle an epic fight AND LEAVE NO ONE ALIVE. This is the perfect game to bring out everyone's inner world conquer and this is the best game in the series even if your not an R.T.S. fan this is the place to start after you've watch the millions of levy's you've drafted fight and die for you from Greece to Egypt there no turning back Expand
  34. Jan 30, 2015
    Scream with thousands of brave gallic warriors against inglorious Romans before the bloody battle begins. Give phalanx formation order to noble greek soldiers to build a fearsome and deadly pike wall. Deploy Roman legionnaires as one line and then watch how the war machine works. Crush the heart of the enemies with invincible war elephants of mighty Carthage. Lead the merciless children ofScream with thousands of brave gallic warriors against inglorious Romans before the bloody battle begins. Give phalanx formation order to noble greek soldiers to build a fearsome and deadly pike wall. Deploy Roman legionnaires as one line and then watch how the war machine works. Crush the heart of the enemies with invincible war elephants of mighty Carthage. Lead the merciless children of Nile who walk through death without hesitation for their godlike Pharaoh...

With nearly perfect campaign and battle gamplay design, I think Rome Total War is the best Total War game in the series and even one of the best strategy game in game industry. Its innovative high quality mechanics and hundreds of small juicy details captured players hearts and created thousands of fans for CA. After eleven years, I hope Creative Assembly and especially SEGA learn a lesson from their poor Warscape products (ETW, NTW, STW2, FOTS, RTW2) and develop high quality games as they did once.
  35. Jan 17, 2014
    Just replayed it again (Jan 2014). The game is head and shoulder above R2:Total War. While it's not perfect and it has its own bugs, this game may not have all the graphical bells and whistles of its predecessor, it has something much more important: gameplay.
  36. Aug 4, 2012
    I have played this game for 6 years now. I have re-installed it about 10 times...I keep going back to it. I remember playing it on my older crappy PC's....had lag issues in major battles. Now, my current pimped out machine runs it full with no problems.....doesn't run as smooth as Medieval Total War 2...graphics aren't as good....but WAT better game. All the unique units, and differentI have played this game for 6 years now. I have re-installed it about 10 times...I keep going back to it. I remember playing it on my older crappy PC's....had lag issues in major battles. Now, my current pimped out machine runs it full with no problems.....doesn't run as smooth as Medieval Total War 2...graphics aren't as good....but WAT better game. All the unique units, and different nations make this game so fun, Once you conquer as the Romans...you can go back and replay with any nations that you have defated. Greeks! Carthaginians! Seleucids! SOO much fun to play with them. I FULLY demand that Sega make a ROME TOTAL WAR 2....can you imagine how much fun that will be? GET THIS GAME. CLASSIC best game of all time. Expand
  37. Jan 4, 2013
    Rome Total War- is the best strategy game yet. In my opinion, RTW is much better than C4, C5 and HoMM. It's just my opinion.
    Rome Total War- самая лучшая стратегия на данный момент,
    Rome Total War- самая лучшая стратегия на данный момент, на мой взгляд Рим лучше Цивилизации и Героев Меча и Магия. Чисто мое мнение
  38. Dec 23, 2012
    A very good strategy, which contains many new and matched solutions. Score on Metacritic is most suitable. I play more than 9 will leave not because there were a lot of minor errors, which, however, do not want to replace.
  39. Jun 23, 2013
    Ha, You could spend 500 hours completing the long term campaigns and still be doing new races. this game will always be one of the best games i have ever played in a very, very long time
  40. Oct 2, 2013
    Great game. I unlocked the Carthaginian and Greek cities factions, but I wanted to unlock the faction of the senate. The games that I had were epic, in grand campaign, and I was more administrator, than warrior. It seems, that I took care of my faction territory, and advanced in the culture aspect, and the military. I reached Egypt, was the first faction to do so, but there was no use forGreat game. I unlocked the Carthaginian and Greek cities factions, but I wanted to unlock the faction of the senate. The games that I had were epic, in grand campaign, and I was more administrator, than warrior. It seems, that I took care of my faction territory, and advanced in the culture aspect, and the military. I reached Egypt, was the first faction to do so, but there was no use for trade as the civilization was far away. I did have a trade treaty though. The Praetori and the Urban Cohorts can win a lot of wars. It seems, that if Rome can influence the other factions to not increase territory, but to trade, then there would be great advancement and prosperity. Apparently, the S. P. Q. R. faction that is the senate, was afraid that the factions would turn on each other and on Rome itself, and that is why they wanted foreign conquests. The faction members were made members of the senate, for this reason, it appears, and also apparently, they were originally from Rome. Every faction wanted to rule Rome. Expand
  41. Jan 27, 2014
    One of the best games I have ever played. It is a great game highly recommend it too series fans and newcomers alike. This is Way better then Total War Rome 2. If you want to play rome in this series play this one not Total War Rome 2. It macks Total War Rome 2 look like it was made by noobs
  42. Mar 14, 2011
    This game is the best RTS and TBS in my opinion and is the reason why I'm a total war fan to this day.
    It has amazing real time battles,awesome graphics for it's time and just so much content that you can
    literary be hooked to this game for a year.Also it has some awesome soundtracks to.I recommend this game to any gamer especially for RTS and TBS fans.
  43. Dec 23, 2011
    Rome: Total War is just a master piece. For 2004 its graphics were legendary, the game play NEVER gets old (bought it when it first came out and I still play it) and the campaign is just truly epic. If you like a good RTS game, you need this because it doesn't get much better then this.
  44. Jun 12, 2013
    Rome: Total War has many, many faults. However, I have still played it for many, many hours. Why? Because it is a great game considering the engrossing enjoyment factor. Yes, the enjoyment it provides trumps in baskets its sometimes ridiculous faults. I certainly hope Rome: Total War II is a marked improvement over the first installment. That notwithstanding, I imagine I will get a vastRome: Total War has many, many faults. However, I have still played it for many, many hours. Why? Because it is a great game considering the engrossing enjoyment factor. Yes, the enjoyment it provides trumps in baskets its sometimes ridiculous faults. I certainly hope Rome: Total War II is a marked improvement over the first installment. That notwithstanding, I imagine I will get a vast amount of enjoyment from it. I give Rome: Total War a 10. It deserves a ten. Video games are not about technical perfection. (They could be and should be.) But most importantly, they are about enjoyment. However, when faults destroy the possibility of enjoyment or seriously lessen enjoyment, then the game deserves to be panned and not purchased. It is going to be a long hard wait until Rome: Total War II is released. I cannot recommend Rome: Total War highly enough. I hope to be able to say the same thing about Rome: Total War II. Expand
  45. Mar 11, 2011
    The words 'epic' and 'legendary' only start to describe Rome Total War. The game is trully the greatest i have played and the shining best in the revolutionary Total War series. Rome Total War comes with online battles, custom battles, campaigns and historical battles. Rome total war covers such a grand scale of history. There are tons of factions to play as such as the Romans (thatThe words 'epic' and 'legendary' only start to describe Rome Total War. The game is trully the greatest i have played and the shining best in the revolutionary Total War series. Rome Total War comes with online battles, custom battles, campaigns and historical battles. Rome total war covers such a grand scale of history. There are tons of factions to play as such as the Romans (that consist of the Julii, Scipii and the Brutii and the Senate) Gauls, Britons, Parthians, Macedonians, Egyptians, Scythians, Thracians, Dacians, Germans and so forth . RTW has never failed to bore me and i have been playing it for at least 4 or 5 years now. The game is excellent for strategists, those who love ancient history and who adore turn based campaigns. The soundtrack for RTW is also brilliant. 10/10 without any doubt. Expand
  46. Aug 2, 2011
    My most played game ever, and I have played thousands upon thousands of hours of PC games, 10/10, without a doubt. My one and only complaint about this game is the diplomacy AI. It could be improved - allies will attack when it is of no advantage to them, after a century of you paying them, trading with them, and assisting them.
  47. Nov 26, 2011
    As close to strategic masterpiece as it goes. Fantasic feeling and gameplay. Though there are som mayor bugs ruining some of the experience. And the bribing system isn't perfect. But a must have for the real strategy fan.
  48. Dec 30, 2012
    My favorite game of all time. I have been playing it for 8 years now and have always enjoyed it, even since the newer total war games have been released. This game is just so solid, looks great, and has much variety both in-game and from it's HUGE modding community (i suggest Rome Total Realism). You can get it for cheap now, but it's still an awesome game!!!
  49. Apr 25, 2013
    A great game with awesome climate, also even today quite appealing to the eye. The strategic options are wide and enjoyable and battle simulation, when it came out, was absolutely amazing.

The amount of factions and huge differences in troops they can field make it a little unbalanced (especially when it comes to late-period roman troops, obviously [and somewhat realistically] overpowered), but makes the whole thing even more interesting and make you use different strategies, when using different troops or facing different foes.

The main downside is the amount of micromanaging that will bore less patient players, especially when combined with slow troop training and pretty slow army movement. If you don't mind that, the game can give you hundreds of hours of enjoyable gameplay.
  50. Nov 12, 2011
    This game is quite frankly the best strategy game I have ever played, if not, the best game I have ever played period. The game just doesn't get old for me. It just doesn't. I have played many games in my life, but this one is special. The amount of vast diversity between the units and factions is just too great, the amount of strategy required for this game is immense, the music isThis game is quite frankly the best strategy game I have ever played, if not, the best game I have ever played period. The game just doesn't get old for me. It just doesn't. I have played many games in my life, but this one is special. The amount of vast diversity between the units and factions is just too great, the amount of strategy required for this game is immense, the music is just awesome, gameplay is very easy to understand and the fighting on the battlefield is too overwhelmingly epic, even if this game came out in 2004. Speaking of 2004, people STILL play this game to date since its release. I have started playing this game in 2010, and I regret buying all the games in the past (including CoD) when all I had to do, WAS GET THIS GAME. Yes, people still play this game online and you can easily find people to play with, but I think we need a tad bit more people to join us. I say, go google and download steam, buy it for $10 (completely worth it) and enjoy most epic game of your life. Sure the graphics, they are outdated, and people say "buy Shogun 2" just because it is newer. But I have bought Shogun 2, I only invested 130 hours into it, and I'm bored with it already. Rome on the other hand, has made me invest almost 400 hours into it and still going strong. And I am not even a big Real Time Strategy gamer, but this one turned me into one. This game is so good, I am almost scared for a Rome 2 Total War because of what Creative Assembly has done to their series after Rome. Their Total War games were good, but missed the special ...something that Rome had. And I fear that they will change Rome 2 too much, like Shogun 2. But overall, this game is outstanding, and I highly recommend it to ANY gamer. Expand
  51. Dec 30, 2012
    Epic game. Dont understand the negative reviews, either these people are stupid (dont understand how to play), or they are even more stupid and dont have the hardware to do justice to the game. Either way this game is epic. Cant wait for rome 2
  52. May 27, 2013
    The greatest strategy game of all time. Amazing mods out there too. The only game I've ever given a 10/10 for. I look forward to the true sequel Rome II.
  53. Aug 18, 2015
    In my opinion not only the best Total War game, but the best strategy game to date. Probably the most addictive game I have ever played and definitely the one that has kept me in front of my computer screen for the most hours. Not only is it fun to play, but you also learn much about the antiquity period, which is a bonus if you're interested in history like me. I still pick it upIn my opinion not only the best Total War game, but the best strategy game to date. Probably the most addictive game I have ever played and definitely the one that has kept me in front of my computer screen for the most hours. Not only is it fun to play, but you also learn much about the antiquity period, which is a bonus if you're interested in history like me. I still pick it up sometimes and get sunk into Europe 270 BC. Expand
  54. Jul 29, 2011
    The is the best game to be called strategy gaming. The best game in the series (this comes from someone who has played all of them). Most bad reviews are from people who get it from steam and have trouble with learning the game. Some remarks about the game not living up to it's hype. It was one of the first games of it's type and for when it came out, and the graphics compared with theThe is the best game to be called strategy gaming. The best game in the series (this comes from someone who has played all of them). Most bad reviews are from people who get it from steam and have trouble with learning the game. Some remarks about the game not living up to it's hype. It was one of the first games of it's type and for when it came out, and the graphics compared with the number of soldiers on the field of battle were unheard of for PC. Best game play imaginable, easy to learn as i was only a kid (12) when i mastered the mechanics with ease. I have yet to see something comparable. I would still recommend people to play this game, it is well worth its money in the many hours you will enjoy playing it. Expand
  55. Jul 18, 2013
    I became addicted to all Total War games because of this one. For a history and strategy buffs this game is amazing. The battles are epic and the nation building is fun. Can't wait for Rome II
  56. Dec 18, 2014
    For me, this has to be the definitive Total War Game.

Rome Total War is in many ways a much better game than those that followed it. The combat and mechanics are fairly straightforward, while not being overly simplified and the campaign management is streamlined and not overly burdensome (completely unlike RTW2.) While not perfect in all ways, it is fairly easy to mod things
    For me, this has to be the definitive Total War Game.

While not perfect in all ways, it is fairly easy to mod things yourself, in order to change things around a bit. Want to give barbarian tribes paved roads and stone walls? Easy to do and takes less than five minutes.

Roman units and hoplites are a bit OP and the IA can be a bit stupid at times, but all in all, the game provides many hours of enjoyable play, while the combat animations are far more realistic and weighty than those using the more recent Total War Engine.

In the ten year since its release, I'd have easily played well in excess of 1000 hours on this game and after briefly grappling with the disaster that is still RTW2 (even after the Emperor Edition), I can see myself enjoying this gem for many years to come.
  57. Apr 22, 2011
    An excellent game. Despite coming out half a decade ago, the massive MODding community and continued online support keeps this game fresh. A must-have for history buffs or RTS fans alike. That said, don't go into this expecting a fluffy Warcraft or Age of Empires-like experience. This game requires quite a bit of micro-management and real-world tactical acumen. If you possess the abilityAn excellent game. Despite coming out half a decade ago, the massive MODding community and continued online support keeps this game fresh. A must-have for history buffs or RTS fans alike. That said, don't go into this expecting a fluffy Warcraft or Age of Empires-like experience. This game requires quite a bit of micro-management and real-world tactical acumen. If you possess the ability and desire in these aspects, you'll love it. Otherwise, you'll probably find it tedious! Expand
  58. Jul 10, 2011
    Although I replayed Medieval Total War many times the only one that withstand time is Rome Total War. I haven't played Medieval II although I have it but it just won't start. Rome is never boring and it is perfectly replay-able because of the three possible factions you can play with from the beginning.
    Fact is thus that you encounter three total different foes or allies which make a great difference in playing style and approach. I had much problems to withstand the Gauls with the Julii since their units are much larger than the roman ones. Thing is to use the terrain to your advantage, a very important thing in Rome, for example defend at a bridge if you're outnumbered. A bad thing is putting units on a huge scale because units cost much more to raise but your income isn't changing. Another bad thing is that the AI is able to defend/attack with 2 or 3 whole armies and you my friend can only defend with one army, eventually reinforced with another but your maximum of units can't be more than the one army fighting.
    This can form a stalemate in certain areas, I had it with the Brutii against the Britons, and is maybe an advantage well thought of which makes you can't overrun the enemy.
    The whole game is well developed, almost no bugs and in my opinion one of the best games where it comes to empathy. A classic one and certainly a must have!! It's totally not outdated.
  59. Nov 1, 2011
    The battle and recruitament system is so good, the interpretion of the Romain imperial time during the before christ years is completly awesome, all is too cool in the game.
  60. May 29, 2012
    A real masterpiece reminding us of the times, when making video games was pure art. Amazing graphics, amazing music and the most important: high aesthetics. Nothing less than a solid 10
  61. Oct 2, 2013
    the greatest Strategy games of all time

people who played since rome 1 is just came out

they know how great it was

it was reavolution of Strategy game
  62. Apr 27, 2015
    Classic grand strategy game which also allows you to fight tactical pitched battles. Still play the game now and again after many years. The graphics may be dated now but new younger players should try and look beyond this as the core game is still good and enjoyable. Still a solid game and great value for the prices you can get it at now.
  63. Jun 10, 2015
    I really love this game I've had it since its release and still to this day play it quite frequently. While the graphics are old please remember this game is over ten years old back in those days of gaming this was actually pretty good graphic wise for this style of game. Now for the game-play! For your first play-through you'll have to play as one of the three ruling families of Rome, andI really love this game I've had it since its release and still to this day play it quite frequently. While the graphics are old please remember this game is over ten years old back in those days of gaming this was actually pretty good graphic wise for this style of game. Now for the game-play! For your first play-through you'll have to play as one of the three ruling families of Rome, and help build up the roman empire, you'll be able to do this by building up your cities and of course waging war with rival factions for more territory to rule over! The units are quite complex don't underestimate your opponents or you might end up regretting it! You'll be able to call upon war-dogs, war-pigs(incendiary piggies), Elephants, assassins, Gladiators, and much, much more. Expand
  64. Oct 18, 2016
    I still come back to this game every now and then. It's the best game of the series alongside with Medieval II. An absolute beauty and the modding community is amazing, also great expansions.
  65. Apr 15, 2011
    This is by far the best game in the whole series and i have enjoyed this game the most, I only hope that they release a Rome 2 total war with improved graphics etc.
  66. Jun 21, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Trully masterpiece, best game of all total war games, and even BEST STRATEGY GAME EVER MADE!!! You cant miss this game, even now i still play this game, i won 5 times campaing, 3 times totally, and have many good mods. I spend about 1000+ hours with this game, this game never be old!! I hope that CA will soo release rome 2 total war. Expand
  67. Nov 11, 2011
    Absolutely phenomenal. The best game I have ever played, hands down. I still play now, even though it is like 7 years old. Each game is different, each battle is different - and that is what makes this game so timeless. A must have PC game.
  68. Apr 6, 2013
    Best RTS ever, I've played this game for the first time in 2006 and this is the 3rd time I reinstalled it. As good as ever. I really recommend this game, even If the graphics are a bit dated by now.
  69. Jul 14, 2013
    Awesome game for it's time and even now. I still play it even a decade past it's release. Can't wait for Rome 2 coming Sept 3rd 2013! I have no doubt they will make a game worthy of the original.
  70. Aug 7, 2013
    this game, apart from the mediocre ai and movement, the medieval feel soundtrack and american voices. This game is generally great, ive only been playing for a few hours and ive already fell in love, i bought the game off steam with the money i had, knowing it would be well spent. i whent onto multiplayer and had no problems getting on. For a 2004 game this really out did itself, but imthis game, apart from the mediocre ai and movement, the medieval feel soundtrack and american voices. This game is generally great, ive only been playing for a few hours and ive already fell in love, i bought the game off steam with the money i had, knowing it would be well spent. i whent onto multiplayer and had no problems getting on. For a 2004 game this really out did itself, but im not talking about the graphics. The way they immersed the best strategic feeling and one of the best 'rule your own land and stuff like that' was amazing for its time. The people that say this game is too slow and boring are wrong. that is infact the whole reason why strategy games are so good! you actually have too strategically think about things like will it help your economy or will it increase your defenses but make your town smaller. if thats the only reason why you hate this game. You shouldnt play strategy's Overall in the few hours ive played this its been the best strategy rts game i have ever played. i hope MOST of you agree with me that it is the best strategy of its days and infact now. Expand
  71. Aug 22, 2013
    One of my favorite Total War games. It combines nice graphics (Although they are a little outdated now) with exceptional gameplay and replayability. I have spent hours playing this game,and it still doesn't get old to me. I played the Egypt campaign a few times now, and all the Rome factions at least once. Sure, some of it IS repetitive, but it provides a certain feeling that I just cantOne of my favorite Total War games. It combines nice graphics (Although they are a little outdated now) with exceptional gameplay and replayability. I have spent hours playing this game,and it still doesn't get old to me. I played the Egypt campaign a few times now, and all the Rome factions at least once. Sure, some of it IS repetitive, but it provides a certain feeling that I just cant back away from. I keep coming back to the game, every time I can say I had fun. Expand
  72. Sep 5, 2013
    A true classic never to be challenged or bested worth re visiting time and time again. Prepare for a experience like no other as you carve your empire out in the most brutal era of human history.
  73. Sep 7, 2013
    Rome one was an amazing game! It had spectacle, sounds, and overall great game play! Armies would stay in formation and you felt immersed in the game with each new land conquered. The missions were interesting as well. I loved the unique units in this game.
  74. Oct 6, 2013
    Wow, after 9 years this is still the best Total War game. Rome 2 was just....I don't want to start with that again. In short Rome 2 was a rushed failure. This game is far more in depth and filled with features. If you love the Roman era like me then you will feel totally immersed as I was for each campaign.
  75. Dec 16, 2013
    This an amazing game, far superior than Rome2 which I'm playing since it's release, without getting bored at all! IT ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  76. Dec 20, 2013
    There is just nothing I can say that is bad about this game... Must be one of the, if not the best Stat game of all time.
  77. Feb 4, 2014
    A true classic in gaming history. I'm one of the most strategic gamers out there, and I can glady say that I played this in 2014 and was astonished at how I never bought it before (too busy playing Civ 5). If you think this game is old, think again. True, the graphics are not on par with many newer games, but you have to go in-depth and appreciate the tremendous amount of effort andA true classic in gaming history. I'm one of the most strategic gamers out there, and I can glady say that I played this in 2014 and was astonished at how I never bought it before (too busy playing Civ 5). If you think this game is old, think again. True, the graphics are not on par with many newer games, but you have to go in-depth and appreciate the tremendous amount of effort and artistry put into this game. The campaign makes you think you've seen it all, that your a super power and can't get wiped out by your opposing roman families. Wrong. They strike with a venegence, your enemies return in strength, and then...new units are revealed. This was a shock to me, as I've never seen that happen in a game without some hint of the upcoming units.
    If you like strategy, if you like fierce battle, if you like commanding a max of 2500 units (all shown), then this is the game for you (can't speak for Rome II, haven't played it, but if you tune in to local chats you'll hear its buggy).
  78. Mar 1, 2014
    this game is the best game i have ever played. It has good graphics and wonderful buildings but the thing is that when there is to much sword men in the game the game goes slower and it begins to stop so you should be aware of that.
  79. PaulD.
    Sep 25, 2004
    Simply put -- the best game I've ever played.
  80. VladimirLenin
    Oct 11, 2004
    Spectacular, simply put. A terrific game that I would highly recommend.
  81. ApostelesLightbringer
    Oct 4, 2004
    This game is an instant classic. There is nothing not worth loving. Respect!
  82. EricDeLaurent
    Sep 23, 2004
    I have handed in my resignation at work, broken up with my girlfriend, bought 50 cases of Power Sauce, paid the rent and bills for 4 months and put up boards over my windows and doors....

...I'm really worried about myself....

I LOVE ROME: TOTAL WAR!!!

Is there a rehab for Total War addicts?
    Now.....is that
  83. AverageAddict
    Feb 10, 2006
    If Shogun was "Dune2", this Game is "C&C Generals". The Real-Time Combat is so far away from stylized toy-like "average RTS", with it's superb and easy-to-use interface. You can literally command thousands of single soldiers, and see the single swords and how they fight man-to-man. In the same scenario the buildings and city-walls and everything are in the right scale (except the If Shogun was "Dune2", this Game is "C&C Generals". The Real-Time Combat is so far away from stylized toy-like "average RTS", with it's superb and easy-to-use interface. You can literally command thousands of single soldiers, and see the single swords and how they fight man-to-man. In the same scenario the buildings and city-walls and everything are in the right scale (except the trees). What I'm talking about, just swatch some screens. And it all fits in, wonderful combination of the tb-strategic map and the real-time combats. You have Generals with Skills that affect the RTS-battles, OMG this is just the best Strategy-game out - ever !!! Expand
  84. JonasH.
    Apr 22, 2007
    Many hours worth of gaming. Great combo of RTS and Turn-Based Strategy. And Jeff-D, it's logical, that if you play as the same nation over and over again and you don't fight your battles on the map: The game gets boring, cause it's what makes the Total War series so awesome!
  85. Marcus
    Jul 4, 2009
    Rome total war has two types of strategy gameplays, turn-based and real time. The other games in series, which came out before Rome, had certainly the same construction as Rome, but the last game is far better with improved graphics, sound and gameplay. The game is not only fun to play because there are instructive things too; examples the names of the different states and leaders, the Rome total war has two types of strategy gameplays, turn-based and real time. The other games in series, which came out before Rome, had certainly the same construction as Rome, but the last game is far better with improved graphics, sound and gameplay. The game is not only fun to play because there are instructive things too; examples the names of the different states and leaders, the map of Europe which results in a better knowledge in the geography, some important moments in times and, of course a brain-trainer (you must use the brain to reach success!). Expand
  86. HansV.
    Oct 3, 2004
    As a big fan of the Total War series, owning both Shogun and Medieval, with expansion discs, this game was one of the most awaited games this year for me, as for many of you too. I have to say, R:TW lives to my expectations and more. The graphics and gameplay engine is unbelievable in this type of game, when thousands of models march to the battlefield and clash with each other. I smile As a big fan of the Total War series, owning both Shogun and Medieval, with expansion discs, this game was one of the most awaited games this year for me, as for many of you too. I have to say, R:TW lives to my expectations and more. The graphics and gameplay engine is unbelievable in this type of game, when thousands of models march to the battlefield and clash with each other. I smile eveytime when my succesfull cavalry or elephant charge breaks my enemys lines, like a hot knife on butter. And the new 3d-strategy map is great too. There is nothing to complain about in this game, 'cause we as players can feel the love Creative Assembly has put to it. Old Total War-series players feel like coming to home with this title. Expand
  87. THARNS.
    Oct 6, 2004
    I usually don't comment on games, because I think most online reviewers do a fine job. I just needed to speak up a bit to offset the (zero) that was given to this title. Rome Total War is by far the best and deepest strategy game ever made. The only reason I'm not saying it's the most unique is because the Total War series has been out for about 5 years now. With RTW, the I usually don't comment on games, because I think most online reviewers do a fine job. I just needed to speak up a bit to offset the (zero) that was given to this title. Rome Total War is by far the best and deepest strategy game ever made. The only reason I'm not saying it's the most unique is because the Total War series has been out for about 5 years now. With RTW, the makers have obviously taken the time to make a game for not only themselves, but the fans of strategy and History. I rarely shell out 50$ for a game. I can honestly say that I do not regret my purchase one bit. I am guessing that the 0 given was based on the demo and not the full title- The only thing I can say could use some adjustment is the AI given to the 'Generals': they tend to charge headlong into the fray and get themselves killed-leaving their men to get mopped up by the opposing force- This, I do believe will be addressed. Yet over-all this game is fun and challenging. RTW can easliy vie for the Game of the Year title! Expand
  88. BobR.
    Oct 7, 2004
    If you look down at the 0 rater, he says some idiotic things about the graphics. He's completely wrong about the animation and visual quality. The animation is absolutely gorgeous, that dope just has some compatibility issue or is too dumb to troubleshoot. Wonderful game.
    Oct 8, 2004
    This is a really great game that has issues but what game does not on release? Most of the issues will be fixed in patches. This is probably the best game I have ever played all time. I can't wait for the expansion. It is fun trying to beat it just on medium diffuculty with all the different factions. (have only beat 50 plus regions and beat the roman arimes with Cathage thus far) This is a really great game that has issues but what game does not on release? Most of the issues will be fixed in patches. This is probably the best game I have ever played all time. I can't wait for the expansion. It is fun trying to beat it just on medium diffuculty with all the different factions. (have only beat 50 plus regions and beat the roman arimes with Cathage thus far) This is the first game I have played in a long time that holds my interest for hours on end. This game isn't for someone of low intell. or has a very short attention span. There is always one who will rate a game ZERO just so they can be different. Don't listen to them! Expand
  90. BatmanMonkey
    Sep 17, 2004
    Played the Demo...Buying it for sure!!! best and most realistic RTS game ever...just wish it ran faster on my computer.
  91. KerwinR.
    May 4, 2005
    One of the best games ever. I would have given it a 9 or 10, but the Activision & Creative Assembly deal of only having 2 patches brings the rating down a tad bit. Overall, awesome game. Gameplay, great campaign and battle mode. In the Campaign, you get to conquer and build your cities, set up trade and alliances with other factions, hire mercenaries, create forts, watch towers. In the One of the best games ever. I would have given it a 9 or 10, but the Activision & Creative Assembly deal of only having 2 patches brings the rating down a tad bit. Overall, awesome game. Gameplay, great campaign and battle mode. In the Campaign, you get to conquer and build your cities, set up trade and alliances with other factions, hire mercenaries, create forts, watch towers. In the battle mode, you command thousands of soldiers and it becomes a very tactical game. Graphics: The scene of watching thousands of your men march across a dusty field. Cavalry charging, etc. Need I say more? Playability: You have dozens of factions to play. The game has a long and short campaign. Takes a while. The starting factions are the romans, then you can play other factions like the barbarians and the Greeks, eastern factions and north african factions. Each of these regional factions have their own style of units and way of fighting. Multiplayer: Very fun especially with a friend. You can team up against another group of players. Sound: One of the best music I've heard in a game. Ambience, battle sounds, the marching, etc. You feel like you're really in the thick of the battle. Expand
  92. LokiH.
    Jul 7, 2005
    The best game ever.
  93. LeeH.
    Nov 1, 2006
    Extraordinary strategy game ever so far! After 2 years, still reinstall back this game even after formating my pc so many time... Yes! this game is top of all strategy game!.... I could said thank you RTW u did a wonderful game for us.
  94. Christopher
    Aug 10, 2006
    My rate for this game is a 10 plus! A freelancing game which you are capable of going anywhere on the map. Fun, adventerous and addictive. I have this game for so long now and I still play it due to its graphics the plot of the game and because its a strategic game. But, I wish they could of did something about improving the battles in sea.
  95. JonathanM.
    Sep 30, 2007
    Rome: Total Realism FTW! Yeah, this game is very good. The graphics are decent and are downgraded just enough for the larger battles to be playable. As this was my first TW game, I was blown away by finally being permitted to wage wars and fight battles on a massive scale. I do wish it would be easier to manage your forces without having to pause every 30 seconds, but that didn't Rome: Total Realism FTW! Yeah, this game is very good. The graphics are decent and are downgraded just enough for the larger battles to be playable. As this was my first TW game, I was blown away by finally being permitted to wage wars and fight battles on a massive scale. I do wish it would be easier to manage your forces without having to pause every 30 seconds, but that didn't matter that much to me, because this game has potential. Specifically, I reference the great work various modders put into one of the greatest mods I have ever seen: Rome: Total Realism. It's a lot like it sounds: dedicated to historical accuracy and, as a side effect, more diversity of gameplay. What I disliked most about the original game is that you can only play one of three identical Roman empires that never existed in the way that the game presents them. Historical accuracy aside, I became very bored, very quickly with the basic campaign. There just wasn't enough variety. I wanted to play Carthage. I wanted to play the Gauls. Total Realism cracked this game wide open for me. No, I never tried the expansion, because I never needed to. When you take each empire and kingdom in this game and you pay each one personal, custom attention and you set them in motion with this game's engine and its concepts and its scope, you get an amazing experience and a strategy game that rubs shoulders with Civ 4. (What's funny is that the two go well together. One gives you depth in conquest and the other gives you depth in nation management, especially civically.) Yeah, this and Medieval 2 TW both need just a little modding/upgrading to realize their true glory, and, when they do, they're awesome. RTW alone is an 8/10. RTW with Total Realism is a 10/10. Expand
  96. KingethJ.
    Sep 4, 2007
    Amazing! Nearly flawless! The depth of this game is amazing, tedious negotiations, rebellious citizens, and many many people to conquer. The battles are reallistic (if not, then turn up the difficulty) and very controllable with a simple to use interface. The makers did an excellent job of fusing the campain map and the battle fields to the point that in the first week I had this, I Amazing! Nearly flawless! The depth of this game is amazing, tedious negotiations, rebellious citizens, and many many people to conquer. The battles are reallistic (if not, then turn up the difficulty) and very controllable with a simple to use interface. The makers did an excellent job of fusing the campain map and the battle fields to the point that in the first week I had this, I believe I logged over FORTY hours on one campain. You truly face highs and lows of your millitary strengh and strategising. When I first started playing this game I wished to make peace with the surrounding nations and build my armies up, but several backstabbings later I felt no mercy for those who broke their allegances to me as my troops trampled them underneath their feet. This is honestly the first game I actually lost myself in. With constant audible explanations of anceint terms, strategies, and history, it is definately worth 20, 30, 40, even 50 dollars. Plus the historical battles make it even more worth while! Expand
  97. TR
    Feb 5, 2009
    Although it begins to get a little crazy nearer to the end of a campaign game (The Romans had ninjas? Pigs > Elephants???) Rome: Total War is one of the best strategy games i have ever played. Not just RTS, that means ALL strategy. People complain about the graphics, but on with the graphics set on low i can still see the nose of each individual soldier. Not only is it fun, but I learned Although it begins to get a little crazy nearer to the end of a campaign game (The Romans had ninjas? Pigs > Elephants???) Rome: Total War is one of the best strategy games i have ever played. Not just RTS, that means ALL strategy. People complain about the graphics, but on with the graphics set on low i can still see the nose of each individual soldier. Not only is it fun, but I learned more about world history from bits of information they throw at you (245 BC, such and such happened this year) than all of the last 8 years of History class/American revolution propaganda. If you like to play real time strategy, turn based strategy, or even risk, then you owe it to yourself to at least try out Rome: Total War (note: I officially rated it a 10, but it would have been an 8 or 9 if not for those who think they can hate on a game because it has graphics that look like they're from around 2002) (note: Rome: Total war IS from around 2002). Expand
  98. LukeP.
    Jan 26, 2010
    This game has such a special place in my heart. I had to have beat this game about 1000 times by now. With a strong moding data base, there is still fresh content even if you think this game will ever get boring. after four years, im still playing all the time
  99. RobertM.
    Oct 12, 2004
    Demnads patience och comp. power, gives back a really complete strat. game.
  100. JamesP.
    Oct 15, 2004
    A MASTERPIECE!!! This colossal game takes strategy into a new level, spectacular battles, excellent graphics and wonderfull AI. I am a bit annoyed with the guy that gave 0, he probably hasn't even played the game so he is just make things up. What an idiot.

1. An epic game in terms of both visual execution and longevity...Campaigns can last for several hundred turns, so prepare for the long haul.
  2. Many games are excellent world-builders, and many are deep real time strategy war games. Rome: Total War sets out to be both and pulls it off wonderfully.
  3. The tactical battles are better than ever thanks to an improved engine and significantly smarter enemy AI. You can now take up to 400 units into battle, leading to some impressive large-scale scraps.