Rome: Total War PC

9.1

1. Mar 28, 2017
    Absolutely fantastic. By far my favorite out of the series. The only thing holding it back from a 10 is the horrible path finding, especially during city battles. Definitely in my top games of all time list.
  2. Mar 22, 2017
    This game was my first entry into the turn based strategy genre and what an impression it made. Rome is what I compare all games in this genre to and sadly nothing up till now nothing has really measured up to its greatness in my humble opinion. The thing that I feel puts this game over the top is its combat system which unlike other games I have played is very straight forward and easy toThis game was my first entry into the turn based strategy genre and what an impression it made. Rome is what I compare all games in this genre to and sadly nothing up till now nothing has really measured up to its greatness in my humble opinion. The thing that I feel puts this game over the top is its combat system which unlike other games I have played is very straight forward and easy to master after a short period of time. Most units act as I expect they should and the amount of different units you can command keep each battle refreshing which invites you to go through several campaigns so you can experience the capabilities of each faction. The music does get a bit repetitive at times but is still good in short burst and fits the theme fairly well. Graphics are good but not prestige for the era but honestly who cares when everything else works so well. The political system is a bit bland but functional and it wasn't until I pumped up the difficultly level that I received a real challenge but those can be forgiven when the mechanics and combat are this good.

This is one of my favorite games of all time and completely ruined this genre for me in a good way if that makes any sense. A must own for any fan of the genre and is just one of those games that can stand the test of time. This games will always have a spot on my hard drive.
  3. Oct 18, 2016
    I still come back to this game every now and then. It's the best game of the series alongside with Medieval II. An absolute beauty and the modding community is amazing, also great expansions.
  4. Aug 16, 2016
    One of the best strategy of the all time. Rome Total War is mother of major strategy.He give me many pleasant emothions.It had the best graphic of those time.(Sorry of my English, I'm Hungarian)
  5. Jun 30, 2016
    Great strategy game for its time. It is still a good game to this day, but it has clearly aged. The management of your cities for example can be incredibly painful when you have a lot of cities.
  6. Feb 29, 2016
    By the time, the best game i've had opportunity to play. Certainly one that had come with lots of new ideas and improvements to the gaming world. I wish they could make another one that would match its league.
  7. Feb 22, 2016
    The original Rome Total War continues to be relevant even twelve years later and could be for much more time. It improved elements from the also great Medieval Total War I, not only visually, but also in almost every gameplay mechanic. With the poor second game of September 2013, the original is where your attention should focus on.

For those who are not familiar with the Total War

For those who are not familiar with the Total War series, its trademark is the combination of turn based strategy conducted in the world map, and real time battles in the tactical map. What you do in your grand strategy, influences what happens in battles and vice versa. In Rome Total War, you choose one from various factions: The Julii, Brutii, Scipii, Germans, Britons, Gauls, Egyptians, Tracians, Greeks, Macedonians, Parthia, Armenia, Pontus, Carthage, Scythia and Spain. Choosing a faction is important since all have strengths and weaknesses, which will play a major role in your strategy. Naturally, this game is about Rome and thus their factions are the more balanced.

You can play a grand campaign or a short campaign. The grand campaign, for any Roman faction, is to control about 50 provinces including Rome and thus, become emperor. Yes, you start when Rome is still a republic ruled by the senate, which is a non-playable faction. In the beginning, all Roman factions are allied to each other, but as the game progresses, the alliance will be broken since everyone’s objective is to become emperor. The short campaign is usually about outlasting other specific factions and to control a certain number of provinces.

If you are a Roman faction, in the beginning you will have deal with the senate, which will give you various tasks to increase the glory of Rome. It may also dictate how your diplomacy or aggression towards other factions should be. You may choose to ignore it, but you may lose important rewards and even risk civil war before you planned to.

Managing you family is also a key to success or fall. Each family has members with unique traits. Some of your sons will be good at commanding armies, while others may excel at politics and management. As in all families, there will be trouble makers, and it is up to you to deal with them: would you dispatch them into a suicidal mission? Will you embark them in a weak fleet to be drowned after a pirate attack? Will you send an assassin to kill him? Or will you keep him close to your faction leader and perhaps, discover untapped abilities? Yes, your generals will gain traits depending how they perform in battle, manage a city or deal with politics.

The strategic map encompasses Europe (except Scandinavia), North Africa and part of the Middle East. The world map is where you manage your cities and economy, build and move your armies, deal with politics, send your spies to the enemies, select your targets for assassins, and conduct diplomacy. It is divided in various provinces and each province may offer specific advantages. Some regions are good slave providers, others are good for farm production, and some have unique structures which boosts certain production values, such as the Temple of Zeus. Thus, it is not just about controlling regions for expansion sake only, but also about considering which regions are you going to protect or sacrifice to advance you grand strategy.

The tactical map is where you fight battles. When two or more contending armies collide in a region, there are decisions to make: fight the battle automatically or manually, or retreat (sometimes it is not possible depending on the situation in the strategic map). If you choose to fight, it is usually recommended to do it manually, since you are going to be in control of you army and, even if you are outnumbered, your brains may save the day. Here you may exploit the strengths of your units’ special abilities, the terrain and the moral boost of your general. It is also recommended to fight the battles manually, since you will enjoy the thrill of the battle, the music that changes according to the situation and the epic visuals with detailed units and collision (there is an option for a more arcade style).

Finally, if you are not in the mood for campaigns, do not worry. Rome Total War offers you the option of playing a quick, custom, or historical battle. And if your thing is to play against other human players, there is the multiplayer.

The pros:
    - Replay value, even if you play with the same faction
    - Graphics
    - Sound: music is top notch, the clash of battle is realistic, the general’s speeches before battle
    - Distinct factions with strengths and weaknesses
    - Various game options

The cons
    - Siege battles are a challenge for the AI
    - Diplomacy is random at times
    - Naval battles are automated and results are somewhat arbitrary
  8. Jan 30, 2016
    this game is perfect it may not have best graphics but the strategy of the game play is so realistic
    of all total wars series i still like this and napoleon the most
  9. Nov 29, 2015
    This game is a masterpiece. I still play this game at least once a year 11 years later and have probably logged over 500 hours into the game. It is my pick for the greatest game of all time.
  10. Nov 14, 2015
    This game is timeless. One of the greatest game codes ever created.
    I started playing on release, and am still playing in 2015 onward...
    One of the pioneers of the strategy genre and a true hall of famer. Respect.
  11. Oct 21, 2015
    Had issues at start up that took some time to fix due to bugs. Battles are slow, everything seems blocky and makes my head hurt going through with the game. Not my type of strategy game. Boo
  12. Oct 3, 2015
    Rome Total War salió en 2004 hace 9 años y decir que todavía después de esos 9 años lo tengo reciente en mi historial , Y a un sigo jugando y viciandome como si fuese un videjuego recién salido del horno , así llevo estos 9 años , instalado en mi ordenador desde el día en que salió . Simplemente OBRA MAESTRA DE LA ESTATEGIA . ! LARGA VIDA ROME TOTAL WAR !
  13. Sep 24, 2015
    One of best games every for me. Hundreds of hours playing this game and it still doesn't get bored. There are some mods which make game even more exciting like DarthMod. Awesome game!!
  14. Aug 18, 2015
    In my opinion not only the best Total War game, but the best strategy game to date. Probably the most addictive game I have ever played and definitely the one that has kept me in front of my computer screen for the most hours. Not only is it fun to play, but you also learn much about the antiquity period, which is a bonus if you're interested in history like me. I still pick it upIn my opinion not only the best Total War game, but the best strategy game to date. Probably the most addictive game I have ever played and definitely the one that has kept me in front of my computer screen for the most hours. Not only is it fun to play, but you also learn much about the antiquity period, which is a bonus if you're interested in history like me. I still pick it up sometimes and get sunk into Europe 270 BC. Expand
  15. Jun 10, 2015
    I really love this game I've had it since its release and still to this day play it quite frequently. While the graphics are old please remember this game is over ten years old back in those days of gaming this was actually pretty good graphic wise for this style of game. Now for the game-play! For your first play-through you'll have to play as one of the three ruling families of Rome, andI really love this game I've had it since its release and still to this day play it quite frequently. While the graphics are old please remember this game is over ten years old back in those days of gaming this was actually pretty good graphic wise for this style of game. Now for the game-play! For your first play-through you'll have to play as one of the three ruling families of Rome, and help build up the roman empire, you'll be able to do this by building up your cities and of course waging war with rival factions for more territory to rule over! The units are quite complex don't underestimate your opponents or you might end up regretting it! You'll be able to call upon war-dogs, war-pigs(incendiary piggies), Elephants, assassins, Gladiators, and much, much more. Expand
  16. May 26, 2015
    personally LOVE this game even ten tears later.i will however say this,it seems to me that ever since i began running the game through steam power it seems like there are ALOT more glitches and bugs especially when trying to capture settlements.for instance i played a battle three times over routed the enemy army in the city but wanted to kill the rest for the extra xp but found that apersonally LOVE this game even ten tears later.i will however say this,it seems to me that ever since i began running the game through steam power it seems like there are ALOT more glitches and bugs especially when trying to capture settlements.for instance i played a battle three times over routed the enemy army in the city but wanted to kill the rest for the extra xp but found that a portion of the remaining enemy army had somehow managed to get in between multiple buildings where i could not get to them to do this.i reiiterate 3 TIMES OVER!!!!!!!!! this was not an issue when i had the actual disc itself at times it really is an UNPLAYABLE game but again i only ever had the issues when running through steam i will however say that it is still a very fun game, particularly using the berserker units the germans get,it can be a bit tough when you get to the end of your campaign 50 settlements are tough to control simultaneously but over all i would say the BEST most fun game ive ever played Expand
  17. Apr 27, 2015
    Classic grand strategy game which also allows you to fight tactical pitched battles. Still play the game now and again after many years. The graphics may be dated now but new younger players should try and look beyond this as the core game is still good and enjoyable. Still a solid game and great value for the prices you can get it at now.
  18. Jan 30, 2015
    Scream with thousands of brave gallic warriors against inglorious Romans before the bloody battle begins. Give phalanx formation order to noble greek soldiers to build a fearsome and deadly pike wall. Deploy Roman legionnaires as one line and then watch how the war machine works. Crush the heart of the enemies with invincible war elephants of mighty Carthage. Lead the merciless children ofScream with thousands of brave gallic warriors against inglorious Romans before the bloody battle begins. Give phalanx formation order to noble greek soldiers to build a fearsome and deadly pike wall. Deploy Roman legionnaires as one line and then watch how the war machine works. Crush the heart of the enemies with invincible war elephants of mighty Carthage. Lead the merciless children of Nile who walk through death without hesitation for their godlike Pharaoh...

With nearly perfect campaign and battle gamplay design, I think Rome Total War is the best Total War game in the series and even one of the best strategy game in game industry. Its innovative high quality mechanics and hundreds of small juicy details captured players hearts and created thousands of fans for CA. After eleven years, I hope Creative Assembly and especially SEGA learn a lesson from their poor Warscape products (ETW, NTW, STW2, FOTS, RTW2) and develop high quality games as they did once.
  19. Dec 18, 2014
    For me, this has to be the definitive Total War Game.

Rome Total War is in many ways a much better game than those that followed it. The combat and mechanics are fairly straightforward, while not being overly simplified and the campaign management is streamlined and not overly burdensome (completely unlike RTW2.) While not perfect in all ways, it is fairly easy to mod things
    For me, this has to be the definitive Total War Game.

While not perfect in all ways, it is fairly easy to mod things yourself, in order to change things around a bit. Want to give barbarian tribes paved roads and stone walls? Easy to do and takes less than five minutes.

Roman units and hoplites are a bit OP and the IA can be a bit stupid at times, but all in all, the game provides many hours of enjoyable play, while the combat animations are far more realistic and weighty than those using the more recent Total War Engine.

In the ten year since its release, I'd have easily played well in excess of 1000 hours on this game and after briefly grappling with the disaster that is still RTW2 (even after the Emperor Edition), I can see myself enjoying this gem for many years to come.
  20. Oct 27, 2014
    My personally greatest strategy franchise of all time and the best strategy game of all time.Rome:Total War is one big masterpiece of strategy games!!
  21. Oct 13, 2014
    Rome Total War blows away the prequels of the franchise with all round better everything. Battles are captivating and more interactive than ever before, now is your chance to truly conquer the world with brutality.
    8/10 - Ben Hazelden
  22. Sep 25, 2014
    I do not judge RTW by todays standards. The graphics and IA are obviously outdated. However even today, this game feels great, with many different ways of winning, many fight styles. By todays standards, it would be but 7 or 8. Even today, this game is way more pleasure to play than rome 2 tw.
  23. Aug 13, 2014
    A masterpiece. One of the greatest strategy games every created. The soundtrack? Spectacular. Graphics? Still detailed and awe inspiring to this day. Gameplay? Nearly flawless. The replay-ability in this game will guarantee that you are occupied for many hours fighting battles and expanding your empire. This game got everything right, as it's one of the best in the entire Total War seriesA masterpiece. One of the greatest strategy games every created. The soundtrack? Spectacular. Graphics? Still detailed and awe inspiring to this day. Gameplay? Nearly flawless. The replay-ability in this game will guarantee that you are occupied for many hours fighting battles and expanding your empire. This game got everything right, as it's one of the best in the entire Total War series (with maybe the exception of Shogun 2. That game was incredible). Please do yourself a favor, pick this game up and give it a try. You will not regret it. Expand
  24. Jul 16, 2014
    Its 2014 and I struggle to understand what exactly this game offered, even at the time when it was released. I see a painfully slow, awkward, restrictive military simulation that is not only uninteresting (outside of the historical context of course), but also immensely lacking as an actual "game." Perhaps time has not been so kind to this stand-alone title, but even I remember "Shogun"Its 2014 and I struggle to understand what exactly this game offered, even at the time when it was released. I see a painfully slow, awkward, restrictive military simulation that is not only uninteresting (outside of the historical context of course), but also immensely lacking as an actual "game." Perhaps time has not been so kind to this stand-alone title, but even I remember "Shogun" being fun to play and less performance annihilating as well. I play on a relatively decent rig and for the life of me I cannot understand why this game has so many performance issues outside of the confirmed fact that it was a fairly CPU intensive game to begin with. Which makes me doubt anyone's ability to have actually played it with a decent framerate in either 2004 or even 2005 and beyond. I'm not claiming that a multi-core processor like the Phenom's are going to be up to the task, but would it have been out of the question (even at the time) to update the game to take advantage of more than one processor? Its embarrassing really. The franchise itself has had better offerings, aside from the "Rome: Total War 2" and even more alarmingly not soon after this game. I understand its a simulation of sorts, a realistic battlefield, taking into account troop movement, troop moral, troop tiredness and other realistic mechanics, but its just feels uninvolved to me. Send army there, they fight, send army here, they fight, and its really not particularly fascinating outside of a siege or some of the larger battles. Those are at least more involved, and planning them out or creating a strategy actually makes sense. If this is essentially a benchmark for single core CPU performance, I get it, but as far as a game that has stood the test of time? I would have to say: "No." Not only no, but it literally hurts a games appeal over time when it is incapable of taking advantage of future technology to some extent. Farcry was built to stand the test of time and though it isn't really anything more than a benchmark itself (as well as including a terrible story and by the numbers first person shooter experience) its still works as intended. As in people can take their rigs now, pump up all the graphical eye-candy (at the time) and still enjoy the game. Rome Total War is incapable of being anymore than a well polished military simulation, but its Achilles heel was the developer not even considering future-proofing to some degree whatsoever. Expand
  25. Jun 10, 2014
    Sin duda uno de los híbrido de estrategia a tiempo real y por turnos mejor realizados. La macrogestión de las posesiones unido a la microgestión de las batallas le convierten en un juego muy completo que puedes rejugar y rejugar.
  26. Jun 8, 2014
    best game ever. I mean really best game ever along with empire total war and shogun. all 10 out of 10 games. aowidmawda it so bootiful so much memories and aoiwdawod
    CA has sone an amazing job on rome total war. by far the best stragety game out there along with shogun 2 and empire total war and yes ive played civ 5, tropcio, age of empires and all those other games.
  27. May 30, 2014
    Absolutely useless. Nothing to do with strategy. This game is clearly an unfinished project. Bought in 2014 and it still drops out for no reason, due to its programming and despite two patches. Graphics can not be adjusted even with a new powerful machine. If your idea of a fun strategy game is to babysit every single unit and issue orders to run three to four times to each unit and thenAbsolutely useless. Nothing to do with strategy. This game is clearly an unfinished project. Bought in 2014 and it still drops out for no reason, due to its programming and despite two patches. Graphics can not be adjusted even with a new powerful machine. If your idea of a fun strategy game is to babysit every single unit and issue orders to run three to four times to each unit and then still find them walking -loosing every single opportunity for advantage in open battle or defense. Also the AI is utterly unreasonable, while apathetic in battles with large numbers, the game allows a single defending missile horseman to venture out of guarded gates and attack 80 arches surrounded by other friendly units, and risk routing them! 3 missile horsemen against 80 javelin men completely routing them, again, while surrounded by friendly units, such as multiple phalanx units chasing them, to which the horsemen pass neatly at the edges of the spears without being engaged and rout your weakest units without even have a reasonably sized force. In the meantime of course none of the attacked units thinks about eliminating their single attacker. Other occasions missile horsemen reduced to 4 units surrounded by 30 heavy cavalry units with General and taking ages to eliminate them, you have to constantly click on them. In the meantime other bigger forces approach and your units are still dealing with the one unit that had been also routed previously. The turn based map is ridiculous also, there is no undo if you accidentally move a unit wrongly and as your turn ends, the next turn's events could be detrimental. You have to be precise with every move to the degree of being impractical. The economy can not really be managed efficiently due to being non intuitive , obscured and embellished with information that does not help the game, you have to try hard all the time for the simplest tasks and you rarely know how economy in some cities will go in the next turn. The impact of each decision is not visible and it can not be managed well. All this while battles, enemy alliances and own expanses are ongoing. The auto management does not seem to achieve much especially in military build. Some cities build more others less with no clear indication. It is a total waste of time. Honestly the one thing this game deserves credit for, is that it forces you to spend hours playing despite immense frustration and upset because you just can not believe that it can be so bad and you keep trying in the hope that it was only one frustrating mission or a particular element that was bad. Unfortunately this game is a constant source of never ending frustration. It feels like its been designed to keep you occupied rather than allow you to have fun. It is definitely worth an uninstall. There is no cure, newer versions in the series maintain the same problems. Graphics are not great, unit management could not be any worse, economies and user interfaces perplexing. The first thing that is needed in order to be on the road of fixing this game is for units to obey orders. Very few other games do not give you even this basic control. This game is the worst I have ever encountered in this respect. Literally unplayable. No amount of patience can solve the problems of this game. Expand
  28. May 27, 2014
    The graphics are great, the combat animations are real and intense, and most of all this game changed my life... seriously. It got me into Roman history, introduced me to military strategy, and is, really, much more than just a game. All who gave this game less than a 9, shame.
  29. Mar 1, 2014
    this game is the best game i have ever played. It has good graphics and wonderful buildings but the thing is that when there is to much sword men in the game the game goes slower and it begins to stop so you should be aware of that.
  30. Feb 4, 2014
    A true classic in gaming history. I'm one of the most strategic gamers out there, and I can glady say that I played this in 2014 and was astonished at how I never bought it before (too busy playing Civ 5). If you think this game is old, think again. True, the graphics are not on par with many newer games, but you have to go in-depth and appreciate the tremendous amount of effort andA true classic in gaming history. I'm one of the most strategic gamers out there, and I can glady say that I played this in 2014 and was astonished at how I never bought it before (too busy playing Civ 5). If you think this game is old, think again. True, the graphics are not on par with many newer games, but you have to go in-depth and appreciate the tremendous amount of effort and artistry put into this game. The campaign makes you think you've seen it all, that your a super power and can't get wiped out by your opposing roman families. Wrong. They strike with a venegence, your enemies return in strength, and then...new units are revealed. This was a shock to me, as I've never seen that happen in a game without some hint of the upcoming units.
    If you like strategy, if you like fierce battle, if you like commanding a max of 2500 units (all shown), then this is the game for you (can't speak for Rome II, haven't played it, but if you tune in to local chats you'll hear its buggy).
  31. Jan 27, 2014
    One of the best games I have ever played. It is a great game highly recommend it too series fans and newcomers alike. This is Way better then Total War Rome 2. If you want to play rome in this series play this one not Total War Rome 2. It macks Total War Rome 2 look like it was made by noobs
  32. Jan 17, 2014
    Just replayed it again (Jan 2014). The game is head and shoulder above R2:Total War. While it's not perfect and it has its own bugs, this game may not have all the graphical bells and whistles of its predecessor, it has something much more important: gameplay.
  33. Jan 6, 2014
    Super fun strategy game. Hard to pick up as a beginner, but really easy and fun once you get the hang of it. Some pretty unbalanced factions as well, but just adds to the difficulty. Also, Better than the second one... unfortunately.
  34. Dec 31, 2013
    This is undoubtedly the best game of the year. With well-written script, amazing graphics which stuns you, especially when you're in battle mode with thousands of soldiers, literally, crashing and fighting for their own factions, and most importantly, impressive AI in level "hard" and "very hard" that catches me on surprise numerous times, Rome Total War earns it's place to be one of theThis is undoubtedly the best game of the year. With well-written script, amazing graphics which stuns you, especially when you're in battle mode with thousands of soldiers, literally, crashing and fighting for their own factions, and most importantly, impressive AI in level "hard" and "very hard" that catches me on surprise numerous times, Rome Total War earns it's place to be one of the greatest Real-time strategy game of all time. Expand
  35. Dec 22, 2013
    Rome: Total War was the first Total war game I ever played, I have played it for at least 6 years now and although it has some flaws, it is definitely worth playing. The graphics were really good back in the day (of course if you compare it to Shogun 2, it looks terrible, but you have to look at it, as if you would have 7 years ago. After all, it was released in 2005) and this game made meRome: Total War was the first Total war game I ever played, I have played it for at least 6 years now and although it has some flaws, it is definitely worth playing. The graphics were really good back in the day (of course if you compare it to Shogun 2, it looks terrible, but you have to look at it, as if you would have 7 years ago. After all, it was released in 2005) and this game made me play every next total war game except for Napoleon. The campaign map was large, and a large variety of units existed. Cities didn't always display on the right location, like Segesta, which was a Sicilian city, but was put by the developers at the spot of Genua. The battles were difficult, but if you were at least a little bit of a tactician, you could beat the AI. The city viewing is another great feature, which I missed in every next total war game. I hope they will add it to new games at some point. The most memorable however, were the huge amount of soldiers you can put on the screen. The largest amount I have ever fielded was around the 10.000, but I have seen videos of more.
    Despite all the good things, some negative things also exist. The cultural variation is not always accurate, as is the case with the "Germans" and the "Britons". They simply didn't exist as a single faction back then. The assault of a siege sometimes really sucked, since sometimes the units simply didn't want to climb the siege tower. The AI was really weak at using phalanxes.
    It has to be mentioned however, that the greatest asset of Rome Total war was the large amount of mods that have been released to address aforementioned problems. The ones I played were Europa Barbarorum and Amazon: Total War, the former being a more historically accurate mod than the latter, which introduced female warfare. All in all, a fantastic game, which redifined the essence of a strategy game, and despite some minor issues made a major impact on the world of gamers.
  36. Dec 20, 2013
    There is just nothing I can say that is bad about this game... Must be one of the, if not the best Stat game of all time.
  37. Dec 16, 2013
    This an amazing game, far superior than Rome2 which I'm playing since it's release, without getting bored at all! IT ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  38. Dec 2, 2013
    The very only game i keep coming back to even after 9 years.
    Definitely one of the greatest strategy games ever and my all time favourite that i grew up with.
    Great work by The Creative Assembly
  39. Oct 26, 2013
    The best strategy game ever made; ingenious in every way. This game is streets ahead of it's sequel nearly a decade later. If you want a good Rome-themed strategy; reinstall this or buy for a pittance as it's one of the most in-depth and engrossing titles produced in any genre.
  40. Oct 21, 2013
    I LOVE this game! It's so cool! You can choose a lot of faction create different tactics but also you can expand all over the world if you change something in the game data.

There are Romans Greeks Macedonians and others faction and each one of those are fun to play with against so what are you waiting for? Buy this game and become the greatest General of all the world!
  41. Oct 6, 2013
    Wow, after 9 years this is still the best Total War game. Rome 2 was just....I don't want to start with that again. In short Rome 2 was a rushed failure. This game is far more in depth and filled with features. If you love the Roman era like me then you will feel totally immersed as I was for each campaign.
  42. Oct 2, 2013
    Great game. I unlocked the Carthaginian and Greek cities factions, but I wanted to unlock the faction of the senate. The games that I had were epic, in grand campaign, and I was more administrator, than warrior. It seems, that I took care of my faction territory, and advanced in the culture aspect, and the military. I reached Egypt, was the first faction to do so, but there was no use forGreat game. I unlocked the Carthaginian and Greek cities factions, but I wanted to unlock the faction of the senate. The games that I had were epic, in grand campaign, and I was more administrator, than warrior. It seems, that I took care of my faction territory, and advanced in the culture aspect, and the military. I reached Egypt, was the first faction to do so, but there was no use for trade as the civilization was far away. I did have a trade treaty though. The Praetori and the Urban Cohorts can win a lot of wars. It seems, that if Rome can influence the other factions to not increase territory, but to trade, then there would be great advancement and prosperity. Apparently, the S. P. Q. R. faction that is the senate, was afraid that the factions would turn on each other and on Rome itself, and that is why they wanted foreign conquests. The faction members were made members of the senate, for this reason, it appears, and also apparently, they were originally from Rome. Every faction wanted to rule Rome. Expand
  43. Oct 2, 2013
    the greatest Strategy games of all time

people who played since rome 1 is just came out

they know how great it was

it was reavolution of Strategy game
  44. Sep 26, 2013
    Based on the time it was made, this is a rarely PERFECT game.

The beautiful core of the game is the tension between the 3 main political factions of Rome. The player takes on one faction and has to earn glory for Rome, while watching his back. Too much success can bring on the ire of the other factions. It is interesting that this beautiful design was not invented by Creative
    Based on the time it was made, this is a rarely PERFECT game.

It is interesting that this beautiful design was not invented by Creative Assembly, it reflects the genius at the heart of the real Roman political system. This system was destroyed historically by the megalomania of Gaius Julius (known to us as Julius Caesar. Caesar is not a name, it is the title: Kaiser, or king). Julius Caesar effectively destroyed the republican system and for this sin, he was assassinated. His son. became the first emperor (Augustus).

This game is great because it learns from and makes accessible to us, the dynamics of true political genius. Its a history lesson, and it took its design cues from the real past.

Beyond that the tactical battles are fun. Following the lives and careers of your factional families is intriguing. You always want to see how many stars you can get a general before he dies or goes crazy.The campaign is big and challenging. Final success is rewarding.

Overall, Rome Total war remains a triumph of game design. With a few mods to update the graphics it remains eminently worth playing.

Update to September 2013: This month CA went and took a dump on the brilliance of Rome total War by stripping away all the best bits to give us soul-less overblown, pretty-as-a-picture-but-no-fun-to-play Rome 2.

Nice work guys!

NOT!

Orctowngrot.
  45. Sep 15, 2013
    2013 and it still the best strategy game eaven after the release of the crapy Rome 2 total war this one still own them along with shogun 2 and napoleon
  46. Sep 14, 2013
    I am hyped for total war. However, before anything cool happens, I'm thrown onto the campaign map. I'm very much confused what to do. After struggling with the game and learning basic mechanics of how to play I start to understand campaign mechanics. Then a battle happens. Not much is known and I get the basics after a 3 or 4 more battles. However after the repetition of losing battlesI am hyped for total war. However, before anything cool happens, I'm thrown onto the campaign map. I'm very much confused what to do. After struggling with the game and learning basic mechanics of how to play I start to understand campaign mechanics. Then a battle happens. Not much is known and I get the basics after a 3 or 4 more battles. However after the repetition of losing battles over again, I realize the greatest flaw in this RTS. This is the worst gaming A.I. i have ever seen. That is pretty much the heart of the cons in Total War Rome. My platoon moves to fight the enemy and immediately they are thrown out of order in a big blocky mess. All they do is follow my orders. That is the problem. I have a giant wall of soldiers coming towards my enemy and they don't even think to break up formation slightly and walk as a unit rather than a giant wall.When they contact the enemy they don't naturally surround them using their brains and try to flank them. They stand as a block and stare at them. When the fighting actually starts happening. ONE unit swings his sword randomly in the air and someone dies. Then the rest of the group tries desperately to find a target and what happens is a big clunky mess of units walking into to each other. Thats the combat. Walking and Flailing. Its unacceptable, and ruins the game for me. Now don't start calling me and idiot saying I don't know how to play RTS or RTS noob. I've played the original total war shogun. You know? the one with actually battle violence? possible the most violent war game? At least in the unit combat had a clunk to it. At least in that the interface was easier to control.
    Ive played Supreme Commander. That game is a strategic nightmare to master, but not impossible. Because the A.I. hits, the combat is effective, the game interface is accessible. This game does not give you a clear understanding of what the hell is happening on the battle. Your watching an incoherent mess because units don't strike at the first instance they see a unit. If an elephant is attacking spear men those spear men should be spearing the living out of it rather than path-finding like a chicken with its head cut off. Now that is over. The rest of the game offers unique ideas no other RTS can pull off,
    for that it is rewarded but for pretty much everything else it disappears.
  47. Sep 7, 2013
    Rome one was an amazing game! It had spectacle, sounds, and overall great game play! Armies would stay in formation and you felt immersed in the game with each new land conquered. The missions were interesting as well. I loved the unique units in this game.
  48. Sep 5, 2013
    A true classic never to be challenged or bested worth re visiting time and time again. Prepare for a experience like no other as you carve your empire out in the most brutal era of human history.
  49. Aug 22, 2013
    One of my favorite Total War games. It combines nice graphics (Although they are a little outdated now) with exceptional gameplay and replayability. I have spent hours playing this game,and it still doesn't get old to me. I played the Egypt campaign a few times now, and all the Rome factions at least once. Sure, some of it IS repetitive, but it provides a certain feeling that I just cantOne of my favorite Total War games. It combines nice graphics (Although they are a little outdated now) with exceptional gameplay and replayability. I have spent hours playing this game,and it still doesn't get old to me. I played the Egypt campaign a few times now, and all the Rome factions at least once. Sure, some of it IS repetitive, but it provides a certain feeling that I just cant back away from. I keep coming back to the game, every time I can say I had fun. Expand
  50. Aug 7, 2013
    this game, apart from the mediocre ai and movement, the medieval feel soundtrack and american voices. This game is generally great, ive only been playing for a few hours and ive already fell in love, i bought the game off steam with the money i had, knowing it would be well spent. i whent onto multiplayer and had no problems getting on. For a 2004 game this really out did itself, but imthis game, apart from the mediocre ai and movement, the medieval feel soundtrack and american voices. This game is generally great, ive only been playing for a few hours and ive already fell in love, i bought the game off steam with the money i had, knowing it would be well spent. i whent onto multiplayer and had no problems getting on. For a 2004 game this really out did itself, but im not talking about the graphics. The way they immersed the best strategic feeling and one of the best 'rule your own land and stuff like that' was amazing for its time. The people that say this game is too slow and boring are wrong. that is infact the whole reason why strategy games are so good! you actually have too strategically think about things like will it help your economy or will it increase your defenses but make your town smaller. if thats the only reason why you hate this game. You shouldnt play strategy's Overall in the few hours ive played this its been the best strategy rts game i have ever played. i hope MOST of you agree with me that it is the best strategy of its days and infact now. Expand
  51. Jul 29, 2013
    An excellent game. If you haven't seen it yet or played other games in the Total War series, be sure to check this one out. I played the grand campaign at least 3 times, and played for non-roman ones (including those you can unlock by editing a config file) everything is just great. In multiplayer, there are slight disbalances (e.g. overpowered berserkers) but if you abide to "CWB" rules,An excellent game. If you haven't seen it yet or played other games in the Total War series, be sure to check this one out. I played the grand campaign at least 3 times, and played for non-roman ones (including those you can unlock by editing a config file) everything is just great. In multiplayer, there are slight disbalances (e.g. overpowered berserkers) but if you abide to "CWB" rules, the game will be pretty balanced. Expand
  52. Jul 18, 2013
    I became addicted to all Total War games because of this one. For a history and strategy buffs this game is amazing. The battles are epic and the nation building is fun. Can't wait for Rome II
  53. Jul 17, 2013
    this game is excellent
    Turn based strategy combined with amazing real time battles, all well crafted and mixed with amazing voice acting, music and help system.
    this game is a must buy.
  54. Jul 14, 2013
    Awesome game for it's time and even now. I still play it even a decade past it's release. Can't wait for Rome 2 coming Sept 3rd 2013! I have no doubt they will make a game worthy of the original.
  55. Jun 29, 2013
    Rome total war is a great game, but online bug, gc error, cant join, and games that dont start becuase someone cannot connect ruins it a lot. really i 9 game, if you think only about battles online, but bugs and gc error makes it a 5
  56. Jun 23, 2013
    Ha, You could spend 500 hours completing the long term campaigns and still be doing new races. this game will always be one of the best games i have ever played in a very, very long time
  57. Jun 12, 2013
    Rome: Total War has many, many faults. However, I have still played it for many, many hours. Why? Because it is a great game considering the engrossing enjoyment factor. Yes, the enjoyment it provides trumps in baskets its sometimes ridiculous faults. I certainly hope Rome: Total War II is a marked improvement over the first installment. That notwithstanding, I imagine I will get a vastRome: Total War has many, many faults. However, I have still played it for many, many hours. Why? Because it is a great game considering the engrossing enjoyment factor. Yes, the enjoyment it provides trumps in baskets its sometimes ridiculous faults. I certainly hope Rome: Total War II is a marked improvement over the first installment. That notwithstanding, I imagine I will get a vast amount of enjoyment from it. I give Rome: Total War a 10. It deserves a ten. Video games are not about technical perfection. (They could be and should be.) But most importantly, they are about enjoyment. However, when faults destroy the possibility of enjoyment or seriously lessen enjoyment, then the game deserves to be panned and not purchased. It is going to be a long hard wait until Rome: Total War II is released. I cannot recommend Rome: Total War highly enough. I hope to be able to say the same thing about Rome: Total War II. Expand
  58. Jun 6, 2013
    I think that, aside from campaign and a few other things, medieval 1 is better (better atmosphere, better music, better battles), BUT, if modded properly, it's fun as hell
  59. May 27, 2013
    The greatest strategy game of all time. Amazing mods out there too. The only game I've ever given a 10/10 for. I look forward to the true sequel Rome II.
  60. Apr 25, 2013
    A great game with awesome climate, also even today quite appealing to the eye. The strategic options are wide and enjoyable and battle simulation, when it came out, was absolutely amazing.

The amount of factions and huge differences in troops they can field make it a little unbalanced (especially when it comes to late-period roman troops, obviously [and somewhat realistically] overpowered), but makes the whole thing even more interesting and make you use different strategies, when using different troops or facing different foes.

The main downside is the amount of micromanaging that will bore less patient players, especially when combined with slow troop training and pretty slow army movement. If you don't mind that, the game can give you hundreds of hours of enjoyable gameplay.
  61. Apr 24, 2013
    This is my favorite game of all time what is saying allot this is the game that got me into R.T.S. after i exterminated my first village i never looked back ive dumped so many ours into this game its amazingly ridicules how fun and addictive it is. I highly recommend using the mod darthmod for making every battle an epic fight AND LEAVE NO ONE ALIVE. This is the perfect game to bring outThis is my favorite game of all time what is saying allot this is the game that got me into R.T.S. after i exterminated my first village i never looked back ive dumped so many ours into this game its amazingly ridicules how fun and addictive it is. I highly recommend using the mod darthmod for making every battle an epic fight AND LEAVE NO ONE ALIVE. This is the perfect game to bring out everyone's inner world conquer and this is the best game in the series even if your not an R.T.S. fan this is the place to start after you've watch the millions of levy's you've drafted fight and die for you from Greece to Egypt there no turning back Expand
  62. Apr 6, 2013
    Best RTS ever, I've played this game for the first time in 2006 and this is the 3rd time I reinstalled it. As good as ever. I really recommend this game, even If the graphics are a bit dated by now.
  63. Apr 6, 2013
    I had played Medieval total war and Total war Shogun II before I this game. I heard from some people that it was the best total war game, so I got it on steam. This game is awesome. The unit strategy is complex, the time period is interesting, the imperial campaign is fun, and Spartans are immortal lol
  64. Feb 9, 2013
    Bad, bad, bad. The AI is absolutely atrocious. Every fraction has the same basic units with only a few unique ones. A lot of bugs too. Units refuse to use siege towers and get stuck at the bottom. Multiplayer is full of corner camping idiots. Graphics and animations were for the time awful. There is zero atmosphere. The first Medieval: Total War is way better, and it was released in 2002!
  65. Feb 5, 2013
    this game is so good i would buy it over and over again
  66. Jan 11, 2013
    I remember I got the rome Total War Anthology as a present...what happened is I installed the game without a hitch, ran into a bug where I couldn't play most of the content (if 1 option out of 3/4 is available...that's pretty atrocious), so I continue to play the first campaign. What follows is a game devoid of soul. You march units around the battle at a very slow pace as you siegeI remember I got the rome Total War Anthology as a present...what happened is I installed the game without a hitch, ran into a bug where I couldn't play most of the content (if 1 option out of 3/4 is available...that's pretty atrocious), so I continue to play the first campaign. What follows is a game devoid of soul. You march units around the battle at a very slow pace as you siege towns/cities...this wouldn't be so bad if the world map and strategy part was any good at all. The only thing decent in this game is the diplomacy and politics which was the one thing I really didn't care much about. But honestly it's un-engaging, slow, looks cheap and has no polish. I just didn't feel like playing it from the moment go. And that's why I think it's a terrible game you should skip. Expand
  67. Jan 4, 2013
    Rome Total War- is the best strategy game yet. In my opinion, RTW is much better than C4, C5 and HoMM. It's just my opinion.
    Rome Total War- самая лучшая стратегия на данный момент,
    Rome Total War- самая лучшая стратегия на данный момент, на мой взгляд Рим лучше Цивилизации и Героев Меча и Магия. Чисто мое мнение
  68. Jan 1, 2013
    Still a very solid strategy title though it suffers somewhat from the graphics adjustments for new monitors: thus looking worse now that it did when it could be seen on the old standard 14" monitors. This game got everything right in terms of unit deiversity, campaign balance, scale, scope, challenge and replayability. It is fun, hard, and intriguing. Individual battles are enjoyable andStill a very solid strategy title though it suffers somewhat from the graphics adjustments for new monitors: thus looking worse now that it did when it could be seen on the old standard 14" monitors. This game got everything right in terms of unit deiversity, campaign balance, scale, scope, challenge and replayability. It is fun, hard, and intriguing. Individual battles are enjoyable and the evolution of a faction over time is exhilerating as you unlock elite units. In many ways it is no longer a 10/10 game. But I'll go for the high score due to nostalgia and many good memories. This game is a rare event that can actually teach the player history. Expand
  69. Dec 30, 2012
    My favorite game of all time. I have been playing it for 8 years now and have always enjoyed it, even since the newer total war games have been released. This game is just so solid, looks great, and has much variety both in-game and from it's HUGE modding community (i suggest Rome Total Realism). You can get it for cheap now, but it's still an awesome game!!!
  70. Dec 30, 2012
    Epic game. Dont understand the negative reviews, either these people are stupid (dont understand how to play), or they are even more stupid and dont have the hardware to do justice to the game. Either way this game is epic. Cant wait for rome 2
  71. Dec 23, 2012
    A very good strategy, which contains many new and matched solutions. Score on Metacritic is most suitable. I play more than 9 will leave not because there were a lot of minor errors, which, however, do not want to replace.
  72. Dec 13, 2012
    This game BLOWS! sooo bad. If you thought it would be like the first age of empires you are so off. All my friends and family who plays games all tried it and got bored so damn fast. I would pay steam to get it out of my library. I would rather play mind jack in mind jack. What i'm so shocked is that this confusing and boring game beats the original portal. what the hell?! O.o The ONLYThis game BLOWS! sooo bad. If you thought it would be like the first age of empires you are so off. All my friends and family who plays games all tried it and got bored so damn fast. I would pay steam to get it out of my library. I would rather play mind jack in mind jack. What i'm so shocked is that this confusing and boring game beats the original portal. what the hell?! O.o The ONLY positive side to this is graphics that is it, and yes it would lag on an average computer -.- Expand
  73. Oct 11, 2012
    This game is one of the best strategy games I've ever played! It's better than AoE in many ways! The people that don't like it because it's slow just need a faster computer.
  74. Aug 4, 2012
    I have played this game for 6 years now. I have re-installed it about 10 times...I keep going back to it. I remember playing it on my older crappy PC's....had lag issues in major battles. Now, my current pimped out machine runs it full with no problems.....doesn't run as smooth as Medieval Total War 2...graphics aren't as good....but WAT better game. All the unique units, and differentI have played this game for 6 years now. I have re-installed it about 10 times...I keep going back to it. I remember playing it on my older crappy PC's....had lag issues in major battles. Now, my current pimped out machine runs it full with no problems.....doesn't run as smooth as Medieval Total War 2...graphics aren't as good....but WAT better game. All the unique units, and different nations make this game so fun, Once you conquer as the Romans...you can go back and replay with any nations that you have defated. Greeks! Carthaginians! Seleucids! SOO much fun to play with them. I FULLY demand that Sega make a ROME TOTAL WAR 2....can you imagine how much fun that will be? GET THIS GAME. CLASSIC best game of all time. Expand
  75. Aug 1, 2012
    Definitely one of the best turn-based strategy games I've ever played. I first played it as a freshman in college, and now years later it's still a solid game. While the graphics are no longer impressive and many of the subsequent Total War games have improved on many of the features, Rome remains an enjoyable game with much replay value. While the AI is not particularly good, it usuallyDefinitely one of the best turn-based strategy games I've ever played. I first played it as a freshman in college, and now years later it's still a solid game. While the graphics are no longer impressive and many of the subsequent Total War games have improved on many of the features, Rome remains an enjoyable game with much replay value. While the AI is not particularly good, it usually provides a sufficient challenge, and even after having played the campaign through a half dozen times, the campaign map AI still does things I've not seen before. Expand
  76. Jul 19, 2012
    Awsome and addictive strategy game!! Best strategy game ever for me. Graphics dosent count if the game is so good.Epic battles and campaign.. Played it for 300 hours, loved it
  77. Jul 17, 2012
    its a strategic masterpiece. Don't listen to all the trolls who give this a 0. Basically if you like stratagy and you dont mind 2004 graphics i would recommend buying this game
  78. May 29, 2012
    A real masterpiece reminding us of the times, when making video games was pure art. Amazing graphics, amazing music and the most important: high aesthetics. Nothing less than a solid 10
  79. May 15, 2012
    This is such an amazing game! I have always been obsessed with strategy games and Rome: Total War is my favorite. After reading a couple of the mixed and negative reviews I felt compelled to write my own review stating why this game is awesome! I understand the people complaining about the mutliplayer, it isn't very good. The game wasn't created for multiplayer, it was created for singleThis is such an amazing game! I have always been obsessed with strategy games and Rome: Total War is my favorite. After reading a couple of the mixed and negative reviews I felt compelled to write my own review stating why this game is awesome! I understand the people complaining about the mutliplayer, it isn't very good. The game wasn't created for multiplayer, it was created for single player campaign. Enough said about multiplayer. Gameplay is easy and self explanatory. Take over the world. If you happen to be interested in the finer points of strategy you can manage everything in every city. If you just want to fight the battles you can set the computer to do everything while you fight. If you don't want it like that, don't be stupid and play how you want to play. Its simple and quite easy if you just use your brain. The campaign is can be changed in many ways to fit your style of gameplay, unless you want nothing to do with strategy games, which should be the only reason people don't like this game. I don't know why you even played this game then. If you were looking for a good strategy game with good gameplay, you got exactly that. Rome: Total War is almost eight years old which should cut it just enough slack for its graphics. Compared to other games of 2004, it had pretty solid graphics. If you're wanting to see the general's scars on his face, you should play an RPG. Zooming in on the battles lets you see the fighting up close. Sure some of the hit boxes are off, but it's still decent. The best part is when there is explosions! Great job of having the infantry flying through the air. Some negative reviews said that the game is repetitive and the exact same when you play it through. I have beaten the campaign well over 20 times and I have never experienced the same thing. The replay value of this game is amazing! I always have to try to think of a new strategy. Again the only semi bad thing is the lack of online play. I didn't buy this game to play online, I bought this game to conquer the world. Expand
  80. Mar 9, 2012
    The most epic and incredible strategy game, still being played and will survive for decades! With epic mods such as Europa Barbarorum (the most original total conversion for any game out there) and Lord of the Rings : Total War this game really deserves a 10.
  81. Feb 22, 2012
    Don't listen to all the idiots giving this game a 6 or 7 or lower, since they obviously lack any real understanding of gaming as a medium or as a game of the mind. Rome Total War is probably the greatest of the total war games in my professional opinion, although my favorite would have to be Empire. Rome offers what many other games fail to do, give you unparralelled strategy game playDon't listen to all the idiots giving this game a 6 or 7 or lower, since they obviously lack any real understanding of gaming as a medium or as a game of the mind. Rome Total War is probably the greatest of the total war games in my professional opinion, although my favorite would have to be Empire. Rome offers what many other games fail to do, give you unparralelled strategy game play of the ancient Roman/Greek age. It's one thing to command armies on the campaign map, strategically positioning them to ambush your enemy or block routes, using diplomats, spies and assassins to your advantage, deceiving your allies or enemies, managing cities and towns, but it's another thing completely in the battle map. In the battle map it's a no-holds-barred kinda match, anything goes, it gives you totally complete freedom to setup your units as you wish, in formation how you wish and use them however you want. If you ever wondered what it would feel like to siege a Roman city as an invading Carthaginian army, feel free to do so in campaign or in a custom battle, you can use siege towers, battering rams, ladders, siege weapons like catapults, trebuchets and more to batter through your opponents defences. There is nothing quite like Rome Total War in terms of content and mere polish. Expand
  82. Jan 21, 2012
    A great game, along with Shogun 2 the best of the Total War series. What's unique about this game compared with the rest of the series is that it is actually quite balanced.
  83. Jan 18, 2012
    I love rome online. The long time rome members are great friends, and when you get into the clan fights with 31k, its pretty awesome. Online is the way to go, and buy it from steam so it does all the patches for you. BROTHERHOOD
  84. Jan 16, 2012
    Truly spectacular game. You can control thousands of troops in a battle against thousands of troops. The campaign is also going to keep you playing for a long time. You can conquer and destroy other empires while empowering yours. It's really amazing. I just hope they can make the controls for the troops better and we can control the navies and fight the naval battles.
  85. Dec 29, 2011
    An awesome game, well deserving of all critical acclaim. Still a joy to play years after it's initial release! It's easy to get past the now lacklustre graphics when the gameplay is as deep as it is.
  86. Dec 23, 2011
    Rome: Total War is just a master piece. For 2004 its graphics were legendary, the game play NEVER gets old (bought it when it first came out and I still play it) and the campaign is just truly epic. If you like a good RTS game, you need this because it doesn't get much better then this.
  87. Dec 3, 2011
    If I had to play one game for the rest of my life, this would be it. This game has more re-playability than any other and is amazing at everything it does.
  88. Nov 26, 2011
    As close to strategic masterpiece as it goes. Fantasic feeling and gameplay. Though there are som mayor bugs ruining some of the experience. And the bribing system isn't perfect. But a must have for the real strategy fan.
  89. Nov 13, 2011
    The Excellent play! I from it in delight! Advise all. Simply stunning strategy in 3D. Even in 2011, after so much years after its output, with pleasure play!
  90. Nov 12, 2011
    This game is quite frankly the best strategy game I have ever played, if not, the best game I have ever played period. The game just doesn't get old for me. It just doesn't. I have played many games in my life, but this one is special. The amount of vast diversity between the units and factions is just too great, the amount of strategy required for this game is immense, the music isThis game is quite frankly the best strategy game I have ever played, if not, the best game I have ever played period. The game just doesn't get old for me. It just doesn't. I have played many games in my life, but this one is special. The amount of vast diversity between the units and factions is just too great, the amount of strategy required for this game is immense, the music is just awesome, gameplay is very easy to understand and the fighting on the battlefield is too overwhelmingly epic, even if this game came out in 2004. Speaking of 2004, people STILL play this game to date since its release. I have started playing this game in 2010, and I regret buying all the games in the past (including CoD) when all I had to do, WAS GET THIS GAME. Yes, people still play this game online and you can easily find people to play with, but I think we need a tad bit more people to join us. I say, go google and download steam, buy it for $10 (completely worth it) and enjoy most epic game of your life. Sure the graphics, they are outdated, and people say "buy Shogun 2" just because it is newer. But I have bought Shogun 2, I only invested 130 hours into it, and I'm bored with it already. Rome on the other hand, has made me invest almost 400 hours into it and still going strong. And I am not even a big Real Time Strategy gamer, but this one turned me into one. This game is so good, I am almost scared for a Rome 2 Total War because of what Creative Assembly has done to their series after Rome. Their Total War games were good, but missed the special ...something that Rome had. And I fear that they will change Rome 2 too much, like Shogun 2. But overall, this game is outstanding, and I highly recommend it to ANY gamer. Expand
  91. Nov 11, 2011
    Absolutely phenomenal. The best game I have ever played, hands down. I still play now, even though it is like 7 years old. Each game is different, each battle is different - and that is what makes this game so timeless. A must have PC game.
  92. Nov 10, 2011
    Listen to the people who are giving this game a 10, its true, the trolls dont know what they are talking about, because this game is REALLY AWESOME You play as rome, move out to defeat other factions and eventually vy for power against other power hungry romans, to rule the known world.
  93. Nov 1, 2011
    The battle and recruitament system is so good, the interpretion of the Romain imperial time during the before christ years is completly awesome, all is too cool in the game.
  94. Sep 29, 2011
    It's easy to pick up and play, but the actual in-game combat is very basic and boring. There's barely any strategy in it and the combat really seems rushed and a 'side feature'. You can even resolve battles automatically, and have no option to fight when it's naval warfare. Overall, the game is pretty accessible but there's nothing exciting about it if you ask me. If you want a realIt's easy to pick up and play, but the actual in-game combat is very basic and boring. There's barely any strategy in it and the combat really seems rushed and a 'side feature'. You can even resolve battles automatically, and have no option to fight when it's naval warfare. Overall, the game is pretty accessible but there's nothing exciting about it if you ask me. If you want a real turn-based STRATEGY game, try Chess.â Expand
  95. Aug 2, 2011
    My most played game ever, and I have played thousands upon thousands of hours of PC games, 10/10, without a doubt. My one and only complaint about this game is the diplomacy AI. It could be improved - allies will attack when it is of no advantage to them, after a century of you paying them, trading with them, and assisting them.
  96. Jul 29, 2011
    The is the best game to be called strategy gaming. The best game in the series (this comes from someone who has played all of them). Most bad reviews are from people who get it from steam and have trouble with learning the game. Some remarks about the game not living up to it's hype. It was one of the first games of it's type and for when it came out, and the graphics compared with theThe is the best game to be called strategy gaming. The best game in the series (this comes from someone who has played all of them). Most bad reviews are from people who get it from steam and have trouble with learning the game. Some remarks about the game not living up to it's hype. It was one of the first games of it's type and for when it came out, and the graphics compared with the number of soldiers on the field of battle were unheard of for PC. Best game play imaginable, easy to learn as i was only a kid (12) when i mastered the mechanics with ease. I have yet to see something comparable. I would still recommend people to play this game, it is well worth its money in the many hours you will enjoy playing it. Expand
  97. Jul 10, 2011
    Although I replayed Medieval Total War many times the only one that withstand time is Rome Total War. I haven't played Medieval II although I have it but it just won't start. Rome is never boring and it is perfectly replay-able because of the three possible factions you can play with from the beginning.
    Fact is thus that you encounter three total different foes or allies which make a great difference in playing style and approach. I had much problems to withstand the Gauls with the Julii since their units are much larger than the roman ones. Thing is to use the terrain to your advantage, a very important thing in Rome, for example defend at a bridge if you're outnumbered. A bad thing is putting units on a huge scale because units cost much more to raise but your income isn't changing. Another bad thing is that the AI is able to defend/attack with 2 or 3 whole armies and you my friend can only defend with one army, eventually reinforced with another but your maximum of units can't be more than the one army fighting.
    This can form a stalemate in certain areas, I had it with the Brutii against the Britons, and is maybe an advantage well thought of which makes you can't overrun the enemy.
    The whole game is well developed, almost no bugs and in my opinion one of the best games where it comes to empathy. A classic one and certainly a must have!! It's totally not outdated.
  98. Jul 7, 2011
    Ahh.. Rome Total War...
    Ahh.. Rome Total War...
    When modern PC gamers hear the word 'strategy' they will instantly think of the Total War series (Rome in particular) and StarCraft. Although Shogun: Total War was the first game of the series, I really like having Rome as the 'defining' point of the series of genre. Rome: Total War allows you to play as a mighty Roman general on his conquest of dominance and power. Seeing thousands of soldiers clash into each other is just epic and at the same time careful tactics and strategies must be used to win. One of the problems I had with this game is the 'aggro' some of you 'allies' have. I remember becoming the powerhouse of the Roman Empire but all of the sudden every single general begins to oppose me as they realize I am a threat. This game be VERY annoying at times. Although I can see a couple complaints with a few people who dislike the slow pacing of the game. Overall I give this game a 8/10.
    +Defined the 'Total War' strategy.
    +Awesome spectacules
    -Slow pace
    -Ally Aggro
  99. Jun 21, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Trully masterpiece, best game of all total war games, and even BEST STRATEGY GAME EVER MADE!!! You cant miss this game, even now i still play this game, i won 5 times campaing, 3 times totally, and have many good mods. I spend about 1000+ hours with this game, this game never be old!! I hope that CA will soo release rome 2 total war. Expand
  100. MJR
    Apr 27, 2011
    This game is an easy 1110 and the only reason is that I rated Shogun 2 first with a 10 but I still like this game better. Solution: do the impossible and give Rome an 11. I said that I LOVED Shogun 2 to death! but I LOVE ROME MORE!!!! While Shogun 2 is the absolute refinement of the series the era of the rise of Rome and then the expansion in which it is the fall of Rome is just...better.This game is an easy 1110 and the only reason is that I rated Shogun 2 first with a 10 but I still like this game better. Solution: do the impossible and give Rome an 11. I said that I LOVED Shogun 2 to death! but I LOVE ROME MORE!!!! While Shogun 2 is the absolute refinement of the series the era of the rise of Rome and then the expansion in which it is the fall of Rome is just...better. It may be a slight case of nostalgia because it was the first in the series I played and truly fell in love with but I owe it a lot. I found my passion for history because of this game. It means a lot to me and while its not perfect in its build it is beyond perfect in my eyes for how a strategy game should be. I don't know if someone today can pick up this game and appreciate it like I do, but believe it is truly a gem as is its barbarian invasions expansion. Expand
  101. Jan 21, 2012

1. An epic game in terms of both visual execution and longevity...Campaigns can last for several hundred turns, so prepare for the long haul.
  2. Many games are excellent world-builders, and many are deep real time strategy war games. Rome: Total War sets out to be both and pulls it off wonderfully.
  3. The tactical battles are better than ever thanks to an improved engine and significantly smarter enemy AI. You can now take up to 400 units into battle, leading to some impressive large-scale scraps.