7.4

Great humor
    + Great storyline
    + All Characters

- Not too cool shooting
    - Still the same city (Steelport)
    - Not cool graphics
    verdict
    to have fun with this game you need to turn a blind eye on a few things but it is definitely worth playing
  2. Aug 20, 2013
    A LOT of people will be mad at this game. It is completely different from all of the ones before it, and it really shares little with the previous games in the series. If you didn't like SR 3 due to the sci-fi and super hero aspects, you might hate this game... a lot. If you're looking for something in the realistic criminal vein (ala Grand Theft Auto), you might hate this game.

The

The changes here are immense. It's like being in a mish-mash of every science fiction movie out there, with lots of elements/ideas coming straight from the Matrix.

Before you buy, check out some of the YouTube gameplay videos and make sure you're not going to hate it. If you go into this with the wrong expectations, you're going to be very disappointed.
  3. Aug 20, 2013
    There is only one word that can describe this game. FUN! This is all that matters! This game has been drastically improved over its predecessor(s). Quit whining about how this game is the same as the previous game! Whose problem is it if you didn't read the reviews which specifically warned you about it before you've purchased the game? Absolutely yours.
  4. Aug 21, 2013
    Playing this game has made time fly by so quickly as it is so much fun in my opinion. It is silly & wacky which makes it quite fun to tell the truth. At first I was planing on getting SR4 sometime when it went on sale, until I started to learn more about it I then got it on the hour of it's release & after playing it, it's not just SR3 with superpowers, it's sooooo much more than that.Playing this game has made time fly by so quickly as it is so much fun in my opinion. It is silly & wacky which makes it quite fun to tell the truth. At first I was planing on getting SR4 sometime when it went on sale, until I started to learn more about it I then got it on the hour of it's release & after playing it, it's not just SR3 with superpowers, it's sooooo much more than that. I find the storyline to be quite entertaining as well to go along with the sandbox gameplay in general. I can see myself playing this game for hours on end even after completing the storyline and/or the 100% completion. It was a good investment I made & even bought the season pass already. Take it from someone who has played Saints Row from the very beginning, you will not be disappointed if you get SR4. Expand
  5. Aug 21, 2013
    I understand that everyone wanted the same old SR and they're pissed that it's different. I personally think it's one of the best video games ever developed. I think in some ways it blows GTA out of the water entirely. You'll have to play it though.
  6. Aug 20, 2013
    It feels a lot like a massive DLC update for Saints Row III. You scramble to unlock various superpower through relatively repetitive side-missions in the same city as the prior game(with minor changes). The largest appealing factor is the main story-line. While ridiculously easy even on the hardest difficulty. the writing makes up for the lack of challenging gameplay. Vehicles and weaponsIt feels a lot like a massive DLC update for Saints Row III. You scramble to unlock various superpower through relatively repetitive side-missions in the same city as the prior game(with minor changes). The largest appealing factor is the main story-line. While ridiculously easy even on the hardest difficulty. the writing makes up for the lack of challenging gameplay. Vehicles and weapons feel largely ineffectual for the majority of the game which really sinks one of the main attractions of its predecessor. Expand
  7. Aug 20, 2013
    It is a blast to play! There is so much to do and so much customization it isn't even funny! There is real world moments that tug on your heart strings, there are moments where you cry, there are moments where roll on the effing ground laughing your effing head off.
  8. Aug 20, 2013
    With the little I've played so far, I have to say I'm really impressed! Do not buy this game is you're assuming it's some GTA rip off, Saint's Row is in an entirely different league. This being the first Saints Row that I've played, my response is not "fan boy" inspired in the least.

My impressions so far is that this is a game that is extremely exaggerated and so over the top that you can't help but have a good time. It's adult humor, non-stop one liners, and extreme action makes for a really enjoyable experience. I'll have to play more to really give an in depth analysis. But as of now, the first few hours I've played have been BLAST!
  9. Aug 20, 2013
    Now here is a game with a premise. The (fully customisable) protagonist of Saints Row IV is a former gang leader-turned-president of the United States. Aliens invade, trapping the people of earth in a matrix-esque simulated prison, leaving a superpowered commander-in-chief to save the world. The game's first mission involves a nuclear terrorist threat and the action actually escalates fromNow here is a game with a premise. The (fully customisable) protagonist of Saints Row IV is a former gang leader-turned-president of the United States. Aliens invade, trapping the people of earth in a matrix-esque simulated prison, leaving a superpowered commander-in-chief to save the world. The game's first mission involves a nuclear terrorist threat and the action actually escalates from there, eventually reaching dizzyingly surreal heights. In gameplay terms, the Saints Row series has never been revolutionary. It started life as a Grand Theft Auto clone, and that's still obvious here, though the superpowers are well-handled, fun and easy to use. The real strength is the writing, which is second to none. Saints Row IV is a brilliantly sharp cavalcade of pop-culture parody, showing a care for good dialogue and wit rarely seen in games. It may be immature, but that doesn't mean it isn't clever. Expand
  10. Aug 20, 2013
    First off, let me say that this is NOT a game you take seriously, it's a game you just sit back and have good damn time with. That being said ....

I am a fan of the Saints Row games, and even though this one stands apart from the earlier titles, it still pure Satins action, comedy, and story throughout. It's most definitely one of those games you're either going to love or hate. The

The story is actually good, the gameplay is a blast, and the it looks and sounds great. It's definitely a unique experience that's for sure, and one that I am enjoying a great deal. All the "over the top" action and Saints styling I have grown to love. With a huge helping of Sci-Fi, and love, and lust, and blowing crap up, and laying the smack down is full on superhero fashion.

Like others suggest, check the game out before you buy if you're worried about not liking it. And for the love of Pete, don't take it so serious! Sit back and enjoy the ride!

Money well spent in my humble opinion.
  11. Aug 24, 2013
    The critics must have not played Saints Row: The Third, that's the only plausible explanation as to why they would give this game such a high score. Like many other users, I found this game to be Saints Row: The Third Redux. It should have been a DLC, but Volition and Deep Silver wanted to be greedy and make users pay full price for a game with 10% new content, the only blatantly obviousThe critics must have not played Saints Row: The Third, that's the only plausible explanation as to why they would give this game such a high score. Like many other users, I found this game to be Saints Row: The Third Redux. It should have been a DLC, but Volition and Deep Silver wanted to be greedy and make users pay full price for a game with 10% new content, the only blatantly obvious difference between the two games is the main story line. I was incredibly excited for this game when I played a few minutes of it at E3, not being able to play enough to know how much like The Third it really was. This would be a great game to get if you didn't already play Saints Row: The Third, but if you have you are most likely disappointed with SRIV. It is quite buggy, driving into invisible walls in the middle of the street, characters not animating correctly, getting stuck in menus, and if you play co-op, both players will not be able to participate in the interactive cut scenes, the person hosting the game will be the one in control of the cut scenes. There are major clipping issues on the characters in terms of clothes and hair, but the Saints Row franchise seems to make that the norm. Using certain powers is wonky and not user friendly as you must double tap a key to enable them. In conclusion, I am pretty disappointed and feel incredibly stupid for buying into the hype and purchasing this game. I hope this review has been helpful to someone Expand
  12. Aug 20, 2013
    Saints Row the third with super powers

whole review nothing else needed to be said i guess i'm in the minority of people who don't like the super powers and thinks they should of been kept as DLC not the main focus of the game, and the world is almost exactly the same only updated a little to accommodate super powers don't get me wrong the super powers are fun but i did not want
    Saints Row the third with super powers

whole review

don't get me wrong the super powers are fun but i did not want that as the whole game i might as well go play infamous which does it better and is more original
  13. Aug 20, 2013
    Loving this game way more then I did the 3rd. Its over the top comedy that is actually funny this time around. I have never been a fan of the Saints Row series until this game, I can now say I am. The added powers and great amount of customizing you can do really adds a personal touch to the game. I would definitely suggest getting this is, especially if you have ever been a fan of SaintsLoving this game way more then I did the 3rd. Its over the top comedy that is actually funny this time around. I have never been a fan of the Saints Row series until this game, I can now say I am. The added powers and great amount of customizing you can do really adds a personal touch to the game. I would definitely suggest getting this is, especially if you have ever been a fan of Saints Row 3. I am having loads of fun, and laughing all the while which I did not expect to say because I thought the comedy in SR3 was childish, but this game has enough improvements all around not just in humor, to bring me back and I'm buying the season pass now because I have enjoyed the game so much already. Expand
  14. Aug 20, 2013
    Saints Row the 3rd was over the top, yet fun. Saints Row 4 jumps the shark. Instead of being tethered in reality yet laced with absurdity, it abandons all pretense at reality and leaves the fun at home in the process.
  15. Aug 23, 2013
    "Saints Row IV" is basically "Dead Island Riptide" it's an exact clone of its predecessor, with less fun to be had. So forgivable and so braindead, it pains me that this game gets a 86 from critics. Shame on you, Deep Silver.
  16. Aug 20, 2013
    A great example of how to totally milk your franchise and still get above average results.

Gameplay, Graphics, and Content largely unchanged from SR3, making SR4 feel like an overpriced Expansion Pack. And really, what more is it than an expansion pack that has added a new plot and some new "powers" to Saint's Row 3? If by Powers you mean changing the physics while slapping on some

And really, what more is it than an expansion pack that has added a new plot and some new "powers" to Saint's Row 3? If by Powers you mean changing the physics while slapping on some graphics to round out the edges then you've pretty much summed up Saint's Row 4.

A brilliant way to shamelessly real in the last pile of cash from your franchise before Grand Theft Auto 5 leaves you in the dust of the last generation of games.
  17. Aug 20, 2013
    Since Saints Row 3, they instantly turned their approach to open world into a massive dick-joke.
    Yet the comedy is so funny, gameplay is so fun. Yet the gameplay period? Is comedy, even though you're killing people.
    Amazing gameplay, amazing storyline.
  18. Aug 22, 2013
    This game should be renamed as "Saints Row III Matrix Prototype". This is a game using all the texture materials, including the whole map from Saints Row III, with a player wandering in a world like "Matrix", fighting a lot of alien creatures in the style of "Prototype". The original plot of fighting human gangs just get destroyed in this new installment. Absolutely does not worth a price of $50.
  19. Aug 22, 2013
    Saint's Row 4 is a game that is inferior to Saint's Row 3 in nearly every conceivable fashion. It has less content, it controls worse, it is shorter, it may even look worse. It has a dumber narrative with dumber characters and less interesting secrets to find and things to do. Saint's Row 3 replaced much of Saint's Row 2's substance with style, but it at least kept some of that substance.Saint's Row 4 is a game that is inferior to Saint's Row 3 in nearly every conceivable fashion. It has less content, it controls worse, it is shorter, it may even look worse. It has a dumber narrative with dumber characters and less interesting secrets to find and things to do. Saint's Row 3 replaced much of Saint's Row 2's substance with style, but it at least kept some of that substance. Saint's Row 4 replaced all of the remaining substance with more style. Not worth playing. Expand
  20. Aug 25, 2013
    I loved Saints Row The Third. But Saints Row IV is basicly SR3 plus aliens and super powers. Feels like a DLC. Almost everything stays the same. And with the super powers, it is too easy and boring. I was expecting something new and fun, disappointed.
  21. Aug 22, 2013
    This game is absurd and ridiculous, It is the exact game that saints row the third was except it adds a new story. same city, same cars, basically the same clothes except a ridiculous uncle sam suit, also there is super powers which takes it's theme directly from prototype/infamous. So in the middle of a story they take a game and turn it into utter and complete garbage and then take a dlcThis game is absurd and ridiculous, It is the exact game that saints row the third was except it adds a new story. same city, same cars, basically the same clothes except a ridiculous uncle sam suit, also there is super powers which takes it's theme directly from prototype/infamous. So in the middle of a story they take a game and turn it into utter and complete garbage and then take a dlc and charge us full game price for it. this is the exact same game as sr3 it is literally sr3.5. Also you get to play as a toilet, which is ironically where this piece of crap should be Expand
  22. Aug 20, 2013
    The game is pretty bad. Almost half of it was just taken from Saints Row The Third. This is basically the new CoD series, release a new game with a new map, new guns, new characters, a new storyline, but still keep a lot of the content the same.

Saints Row 3.5 fails
  23. Aug 21, 2013
    really really enjoyed 2 and the third.
    this is a mish mash of crap from other games, seems like it lost all of its character.

it's pure gimmick..........
  24. Aug 23, 2013
    I played others Saint's Row games but this is really bull compared to other sagas, i hope these 'developers' think about what are they doing... and the price is too high for this.
  25. Aug 20, 2013
    GTA ripoff but with silly, quirky gameplay that is just retarted. Pass this one up it's not worth it. I I don't understand how this series is even selling, it's terrible.
  26. Oct 28, 2013
    "hey, you know what, let's take Saints Row 3, add some Crackdown and Prototype gameplay to it and overpower the layer so you don't have to use cheats anymore!"
    "But.. sir.. why still have the vehicles to drive and have vehicle customization if you can run faster and jump over buildings and water?" - "That's not what people want Jenkins! People want all kinds of weapons and wrestling
    "That's not what people want Jenkins! People want all kinds of weapons and wrestling moves and super powers to play around with."
    "That what i was saying sir, why still have it in there. Why still call i Saints Row at all?"
    "Jenkins?"
    "Yes.. sir?"
    "You're fired!!!"
  27. Sep 12, 2013
    I liked the game, just not as i liked the second and third... this game story is way too lunatic but at least the gameplay is very fun, about activities they still dont seem as much as SR2.
  28. Sep 7, 2013
    Here we've got the last title of the world-known alternative gang game. What can I say, it's nothing but what the developers promised. They said that they were going to clean things up, and if we got a new game, it wouldn't be really different to what we saw in SR: 3. So, does the review end here? More or less. The game is quite enjoyable, with the unique style of the saints row saga, andHere we've got the last title of the world-known alternative gang game. What can I say, it's nothing but what the developers promised. They said that they were going to clean things up, and if we got a new game, it wouldn't be really different to what we saw in SR: 3. So, does the review end here? More or less. The game is quite enjoyable, with the unique style of the saints row saga, and it's well done after all. YES, it's almost the same as SR 3 was. But unfortunately, the corporation that developed this incredible saga is, well, condemned. An epic ending to the series. Expand
  29. Sep 13, 2013
    firstly i liked SR3. it was lighthearted and mature enough. but it was too easy.

today i got SR4 and have so far played around 2 hours. i do like it and i feel like it was worth the money. but i also feel like i am playing a polished and extended SR3. the game follows the idea of an expansion much more than a sequel in my opinion. it uses the same playground but adds "more" of

the game follows the idea of an expansion much more than a sequel in my opinion. it uses the same playground but adds "more" of nearly everything. more customization, more casual stuff to do, more cars, more missions, buffed up graphics and soundtracks or so i think), more more more.

in my mind i had to compare it to a very nice "stuff pack" for like the Sims.

i had quite some fun playing so far but noticed that i did not care very much for the storymissions at all. the characters did not capture me as much as in prequels. the superhero mechanics are nice, but render some coregameplay obsolete (like cars) in some instances which is a shame.

all in all, you instantly feel familiar with the game if you have played SR3 maybe a bit too familiar.
  30. Sep 14, 2013
    Saints Row IV is like if Saints Row The Third and Crackdown got married, had a child, and genetically enhanced it with more superpowers! Fun game, will be playing through it again.
    jdshep[dot]wordpress[dot]com
  31. Sep 25, 2013
    Saint's Row IV takes the absurdity of the third installment of the series to a whole new level. The problem is that Saint's Row III had the perfect balance of over the top action and realism.

The game was really fun at stages but also pretty boring for some parts. Sometimes I had the feeling they tried to turn it from an open world game to a 3D platformer, making you climb massive

The game was really fun at stages but also pretty boring for some parts.
    Sometimes I had the feeling they tried to turn it from an open world game to a 3D platformer, making you climb massive towers or hitting a target after a jump right in the middle.
    The super powers make driving around through the city in a car completely obsolete. I only entered a car twice during the whole game (except for the missions where you have to drive a car) just to realize that it is much easier and faster to super sprint to my desired location.

For the first hours into the game I was really tempted to just quit the game and not touch it again.
    The scripted missions are great and the humor is delivered on the point. But after the perfect tutorial level it lasts pretty long until the same feeling comes up again. The pace only picks up after about 4-6 hours into the game.

The licensed music is good, especially when used as background music for the scripted missions it is used perfectly to underline the humor or tension. But as before, the music is not as well used as in Saint's Row III.

All of the character background stories from Part 1 up to Part 4 are recapped in the different "Sidekick Missions" which is great for nostalgic reasons and for people who haven't played the former titles.

Overall Saint's Row IV feels like more of the same we already know from it's predecessors.
    Personally I think that the developers forced themselves too much to be just a bit more over the top and absurd than before and lost something on the way of doing so.

Regarding the outcome of the story, I have absolutely no idea how a potential storyline for Saint's Row V could look like. This is why, although being a big fan of the SR franchise, I hope this was the last game in this series, for I fear it will only get worse from now on.

Looking at it retrospectively, I liked the game pretty much, but at first I really had to convince myself to keep playing and give it a second chance.
  32. Dec 15, 2013
    Saints Row 4 is basically sr3 with superpowers and a depressing steelport. I paid $20 for it in the steam autumn sale, and even for that price it's a rip off. Should've been a 5-dollar dlc!
  33. Sep 29, 2013
    Saints Row IV for PC. Well, that is one crazy game. Crazy story, crazy characters, crazy weapons... That is one strange game and if you are a weird person this will fit you perfectly.
    A lot of customization options, a lot of shooting on aliens (nut shot apparently is better that head shot haha), a nice campaign. What is bad? Nonsense storyline, non realistic driving, aliens capable withstanding head shots like they just got beaten by mosquito. To be honest, if you remove aliens, it seems you have the old Saints 3 underneath.

Not my type of game, but I am sure that Saints have their own fans who will enjoy it.
    I will give it 6 of 10, I was never bored, but never immersed in the story as well..
  34. Sep 23, 2013
    I loved this game and i would've given it a higher rating except that the last mission was incredibly difficult but other than that it's a cool game great powers graphics and sounds definitely play it
  35. Sep 3, 2013
    well good graphics f*cked up story line amazing super powers costumasation with everything except cribs and pretty good but the story line is...not as 1 and 2 but this is saints row now so yeah
  36. Oct 3, 2013
    The problem with critic's reviews, let's plays and general feedback for Saints Row The Third was that people raved about how "crazy" and madcap it was, and ignored that there was actually a pretty solid story there, and very much improved characters over those in Saints Row 2. I feel Volition really took that to heart unfortunately, and so what we have in Saints Row IV is all that insanityThe problem with critic's reviews, let's plays and general feedback for Saints Row The Third was that people raved about how "crazy" and madcap it was, and ignored that there was actually a pretty solid story there, and very much improved characters over those in Saints Row 2. I feel Volition really took that to heart unfortunately, and so what we have in Saints Row IV is all that insanity absolutely maxed out, with any story simply present to tie activities together.

The result is something that certainly feels a lot like those wacky SR3 DLC storylines (not surprising really, as the development for SR4 started off as a SR3 DLC) and not like a true Saints Row game. I know SR3 was criticised for the same (unfairly, in my opinion) but really any notion that this game has anything to do with street gangs vying for supremacy has been firmly thrown out of the window. What we have here is a game that is partly a spoof of Saints Row, and partly a spoof of Mass Effect, but does neither of those particularly well.

Where it does succeed is in the various activities (blazin', the various rift challenges, hotspots, fraud, etc.) which are either new or improved over their SR2/SR3 equivalents. A large proportion of the side quests in the game are just doing selected activities in groups; while understandable, this unfortunately means anyone who likes to explore activities in the open world is penalised in terms of story (such as it is) as these side quests skip the activities already completed.

Saints Row IV has also arguably taken another step down in difficulty, just as Saints Row The Third did over its predecessor. In co-op mode, the game will offer very little challenge even on hardcore difficulty for most players.

It's certainly not a bad game, in fact it's well worth the asking price, but in reality what you're getting here is a $60 piece of Saints Row The Third DLC, not something that truly continues the storyline and feel of the previous games. Anyone coming to SR4 without playing SR3 is missing out on a awful lot.
  37. Oct 20, 2013
    I will start by saying that I absolutely loved saints row 3, I got more than my money's worth out of it, it was and is incredibly enjoyable.

Saints Row IV is not bad, instead it's just a disappointment. This game is almost like a texture pack or skin for saints row 3. The game is still in Steelport, not literally, virtually in Steelport. As is shown in the trailers, there are super powers in this game, they're kind of broken. You get super speed running an hour or so into the game, so from that point on there is basically no reason to have a car, and upgrades to running and jumping also make it so there's not really a benefit to have a plane or helicopter either.

As far as their implementation in combat, they are ridiculous, like in the last game, you can do take downs (run at someone right click on PC), they are lethal on your run of the mill cops/gang members/zin. In this game, you run so fast that you can take out an entire group, 5+, that you can physically take down them all before they can really even take a shot at you. In 3, you were limited in take downs by your sprint meter, and until your respect level got really, really high up.In this you get unlimited sprint fairly early in.
    Instead of making them better or smarter fighters, instead they just spam them, literally opening portal. to bring in large groups of zin. This does make the combat harder (more like longer), but if you play on harder mode, it makes fighting with a gun basically useless, unless you want to take the time to take cover from the battalion of zin taking potshots at you, it's much faster to just use take downs.

The story is okay, not anything spectacular though, I'm avoiding spoilers so I can't really get into depth. While it's not bad, it certainly feels sequel-y (Although saints row 3 is a sequel also, it went in a completely different direction than 2 or 1 did.)

I've had one major glitch, to avoid spoilers I'll be vague. I had to get out a place with a door that was slowly closing, and the glitch meant that the doors closed to quickly. I did a quick search and found that the solution was changing the detail level, don't ask why but it worked. This occurred around a month after release.

This game also has it so when you want to upgrade powers you collect 'glitches', there are literally over 1000 in the entire game, and searching for them isn't hard but it is very, very tedious.

This is a mediocre game overall, but following saints row the third, it's just so disappointing. If you're a real fan of the series or just the third and are still interested, wait until it's on sale. I haven't yet finished the main storyline and I only play because I feel like I have to finish it, although I don't really want to.
  38. Nov 5, 2013
    Let me preface by saying that I've played all three previous Saints Row games and quite enjoyed them.

Saints Row IV however I could only tolerate for about five hours. Whereas the first two titles, and to a degree the third, focused on delivering a not so tongue-in-cheek humored-filled parody of the Grand Theft Auto series the fourth installment instead decides to concentrate on

Saints Row IV however I could only tolerate for about five hours.

Whereas the first two titles, and to a degree the third, focused on delivering a not so tongue-in-cheek humored-filled parody of the Grand Theft Auto series the fourth installment instead decides to concentrate on upping the ante set by Saints Row: The Third in regard to its more ham-fisted ridiculous aspects.

The result? A game that appears to have been conceived by a group of drunk twenty-somethings with the mental maturity of thirteen year olds (who are also possibly drunk).

The game opens with the protagonist being the President of the United States who then gets attacked and abducted by aliens and thrown into a Matrix-style program world of Steelport. In this fake world the player is then immediately given the ability to fly, jump fantastic heights, sprint at mach speeds, and use magical powers. Recall the premise of the first Saints Row and just let that explanation sink in...

You're literally given "God-mode" from the outset making things like driving and customizing vehicles, using weapons, and even giving a second thought to the experience/ability trees completely moot. Everything that basically made the Saints Row series, on a gameplay level, an actual interesting and engaging experience has been thrown out the window in favor of gimmicks and flash. The game isn't even all that funny either which, when you think about it, is kind of a main draw of the series.

I will not be surprised AT ALL if Saints Row IV is the last game of the franchise.
  39. Oct 28, 2013
    This game is great. The only bad thing is, the game is pretty much Saints Row 3 but with aliens. The graphics are he same as SR3. and so is the gameplay. But still, this game is pretty good and pick it up if its on sale.
  40. Nov 2, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Something that doesn't seem to be understood is that this game was originally DLC. This was Enter The Dominatrix, this was originally going to be a DLC for SR3. You can research this, this is true. And you can easily see this. You want to know how? Just look at the map. Apart from a few added set pieces, and a pretty new sky box that doesn't change, it is essentially the same map.

Let's look at the graphics, the A.I., the super powers that's were already in SR3, this was a spread out DLC they managed to turn into a game. But that doesn't change the fact it is one of my favourite games, ever. For all it's flaws it will remains consistent, and is good at what it does. Which is mad mad mad mad mad. And frankly I wouldn't have it any other way.
  41. Nov 17, 2013
    The only thing worth playing this game for is the humour or if you're the kind of person who wants to be told how to play, then this is for you. Several sequences continue to tell you which keys to press and when.. I don't see much fun in that.

It would seem a lot of modern games (like this) these days presume the player is an idiot and can't figure out stuff for him/herself or can't learn by making mistakes.. which in my opinion is 1 of the hallmarks of great gaming.
  42. Jul 14, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Ignore the haters, Saints Row 4 is a really fun game to play and deserves the highest rating because the game is so addictive and super fun. I loved everything about the game and have spent countless hours playing it. All the missions are fun including the side ones along with the gun fighting, especially the part where you get to blow **** up which is really satisfying, trust me :). I don't know why people compare this to GTA 5 as it is an entirely different game all together, so no ratings should reflect upon this otherwise the rating is pointless. Grab this game and have a blast! You wont regret it. Expand
  43. Jun 23, 2014
    This game has too many DLCs. Even though it is fun and looks good, the developer or publisher is trying to make the maximum money out of the game with annoying DLCs. Join the Anti-DLC-Force!
  44. Sep 15, 2013
    Took Saints Row 3's greatness and made it even better. Why fix what isn't broken?
  45. Aug 27, 2013
    Having played saints row the third, i found this game quite dull for its price. Yes i like superpowers, but the whole game feels like a big DLC for saints row 3. The shops are the same, the clothing are the same, even the hairs, the cars and the motorbikes...
    The side quests are almost the same of SRTT and they became boring really fast.
    So i think this game is not bad but they can't
    The side quests are almost the same of SRTT and they became boring really fast.
    So i think this game is not bad but they can't sold it as a completely new game.
  46. Sep 11, 2013
    the game was ridiculous at the beggining the intro cutscenes already made it a great game but when mid game when i got the dubstep gun i know this game was ridiculous fun in anyway havent had a good laugh by games by that for a long time for me its a full price buy
  47. Sep 4, 2013
    Saints Row 4 is super entertaining game with some really smart jokes. Super hero powers makes it unique open world experience. Bad stuff are generic gunplay, awful melee, boring city, no challenge at all! So, it's not a game of the year, but still a great title
  48. Sep 5, 2013
    First, dudes back there can't be serious. Selling highly modified game for 50 euro is frikin too much. Only fully new game can be sold at that price, this is modified Saints Row 3 with new story and some stuff. City is the same so that was less work for them. Then why 50 euro, for what? Can't understand this, maybe because whole world and economy is fu... up, so they need to sellFirst, dudes back there can't be serious. Selling highly modified game for 50 euro is frikin too much. Only fully new game can be sold at that price, this is modified Saints Row 3 with new story and some stuff. City is the same so that was less work for them. Then why 50 euro, for what? Can't understand this, maybe because whole world and economy is fu... up, so they need to sell everything expensive with less and less production cost.
    So the game. Super powers abilities are very entertaining, story is embarrassing, music is golden, but after you finish story line and few side-quests, it get boring really quickly. Co-op might be a help, but don't bet on it.
    You have no more reason to use cars or any other vehicles, because of your superpowers, only 12-year old kids always use army helicopter and that flying-rocket kind of stuff, cause they scary to get down and do things hand to hand, you know what I'm talking about. Even on hard difficulty is game very easy, so I don't understand those players with pants full of sh.t who play it on medium and are constantly dying.
    I can say, I enjoyed playing this, but for 50 euro it was not enough. Give the game better price, you're asking too much for it, really. Not a bad game, but even not so brilliant, just over average I think.
  49. Sep 5, 2013
    Saints Row 4 is a complete rip-off of the Crackdown series. Run and jump like superman, shoot the bad guys (in this case aliens), collect the orbs (in this case data clusters). Come on. I only give it a 5 because of it's humor. I was utterly not impressed.
  50. Sep 5, 2013
    This game....my god this game, was something else. Let me start off by saying, if you came for a throwback and reliving the fun of Saints Row 1 and 2....get the hell out now. While this game gives a lot of good throwbacks to those games, it takes a completely new approach. Simply put...Saints Row 4, is the best super hero game out as of now. Pick it up if you like the thought of being butThis game....my god this game, was something else. Let me start off by saying, if you came for a throwback and reliving the fun of Saints Row 1 and 2....get the hell out now. While this game gives a lot of good throwbacks to those games, it takes a completely new approach. Simply put...Saints Row 4, is the best super hero game out as of now. Pick it up if you like the thought of being but if you came for gangster gameplay and old school taking over the city storyline, you'll be sick at this game. Fun...BUT, it betrays the genre it was born from, and takes a big on the whole gangster concept. Expand
  51. Sep 27, 2013
    A pretty cool game to play whenever you are bored. The massive customization system makes the game shine. The access to zany and fun weapons and powers also contribute to its success.
  52. Sep 1, 2013
    This game should be called Saints Row 3.5, as beyond the introduction of super powers makes absolutely no changes from Saints Row The Third. The plot is mediocre at best, graphics aren't any better, guns, cars, clothing, all virtually unchanged from the previous installment. It makes me wonder what took so long to release the game, since they simply copy/pasted half the game from theThis game should be called Saints Row 3.5, as beyond the introduction of super powers makes absolutely no changes from Saints Row The Third. The plot is mediocre at best, graphics aren't any better, guns, cars, clothing, all virtually unchanged from the previous installment. It makes me wonder what took so long to release the game, since they simply copy/pasted half the game from the previous game. Expand
  53. Sep 2, 2013
    Since it's set in the same city as SR3, there is no exploration aspect, plus with the superpowers (which had already been done in an SR3 expansion pack...), the game becomes much too easy.

It's fun to almost fly from building to building for a while, but wait for a very generous sale if you wish to buy the game.
  54. Aug 27, 2013
    Let me preface this by saying that I was not a fan of the previous Saints Row games, so if you were, this review probably does not apply to you and you will likely have a good time. Buy it. If you haven't played Saints Row, or if you slightly disliked the previous games, read on.

I was first introduced to Saints Row in a sort of middle period after having finished GTA4 and waiting anxiously for GTA5 (which I am at the time of writing still doing, but not for long). It's pretty obvious from the get go what the purpose of Saints Row is; it's like GTA, only a lot more fart jokes, explosions, nudeness, unrealistic characters and so on. If playing a game that essentially feels like nothing but a developer sandbox for six hours because you love explosions, Saints Row is fine. It is entertaining in that way.

The problem I have with Saints Row is that it has no compelling characters, and no compelling plot. I will say that I have no problem understanding why this is, the plotlines are by nature ridiculous and over-the-top, but for me personally I just can't become engaged in a game that literally does not have a story.

For SR4, you might say it has a story. I would say the story is a thin film, present only out of necessity, to tie together the millions of popular culture references (do a barrel roll!) and "crazy" events throughout the game. It's obvious that the point here was to make a game that was as crazy as possible, and that's fine. It's true to its roots, because this is what Saints Row has always been about. However, the bottom line for me is that a game without a story is just as bad as a movie or a book without a story. I wouldn't want to watch a movie with 90 minutes of fart jokes and pop culture references either, where it feels like the plot was constructed on top of cramming all that stuff in to make it sort of fit.

So, if you're like me and you need an engaging story and characters that have more complexity than a sack of potatoes to get you through a game, I think this game probably is not for you. This game is for the choir, those that already know and love the Saints Row series. It's not for me.
  55. Aug 27, 2013
    This game is a huge disappointment, worn out and it should be a DLC for the third episode. I know many people say similar things but it's true.

The super powers are really cool but they make many things unnecessary in the game (basically each vehicle). There are cars/helicopters in the game but you will never use them until you are being forced (by a mission). You better jump&fly because the waypoints of each missions located on the opposite side of the map which is really annoying. (I think the travel takes the most of the time spent in the game.) Complete waste of time. A new map would save the situation but It's the same as it was in the previous release. That's why I have to mark the game as a refurbished SR3 there is nothing left to explore.

They kept some old activities and renamed/reskinned them. Lazy bastards. The new rift activities are... mostly "meh" for me. That rushing activity wasn't that bad. Plus they removed the best activities related to Genki. Sad panda is sad.

The enemies aren't serious threats but annoying ars*holes. I hate when they throwing fireballs (whatever) at me 10 times in a row and I can't do anything just watch how I burn. This is not hard but annoying which is not the same.

The best thing about the game (in my opinion) is the reviewed game menu. I loved that. Well, the menu responsivity is far from acceptable but it looks nice.
  56. Aug 27, 2013
    If you never played Saints Row the 3rd, this game to you will be weird but entertaining. If you have played Saints Row the 3rd, this game will be very disappointing to you. This was just a letdown; it feels like a DLC for Saints Row the 3rd. It's unfinished, unpolished and expensive for such a poor attempt at a game.
    But, like I said, if you've never played any other Saints Row game, you
    But, like I said, if you've never played any other Saints Row game, you will most likely enjoy this one.
  57. Aug 31, 2013
    SEVERELY dissapointed. I loved Saints Row 3 and I REALLY wanted to love this game. But do you know what this game boils down to for me ?

It feels like I'm playing a ton of minigames over and over and over and over. Which would be ok if they minigames were enjoyable, but for the most part I think they are really dull. Beyond this the powers feel OK they don't flow well in my

Beyond this the powers feel OK they don't flow well in my opinion and the movement never feels very precise. Graphics are fine nothing special. Sound is kinda meh, I think the radio stations are really which you can say just use your own music but when that is such a big crux to your game I think that should be mentioned. Writing is honestly the only place where this game shines but I don't think its worth suffering through the very repetitive gameplay. In addition to these major flaws there are a TON of minor flaws that are just irritating to deal with so be prepared. I'd say avoid.
  58. Aug 24, 2013
    A lot of people did not like this saints row game because of the whole new level of stupidity. I agree, that some people might not like this Saints Row game or even the entire franchise. But the thing is that there's people out there, like me, who like games that don't take themselves seriously. This game is basically Saints Row 3 meets prototype kinda What I have to say is that I highlyA lot of people did not like this saints row game because of the whole new level of stupidity. I agree, that some people might not like this Saints Row game or even the entire franchise. But the thing is that there's people out there, like me, who like games that don't take themselves seriously. This game is basically Saints Row 3 meets prototype kinda What I have to say is that I highly recommend this game to anyone who wants to have fun either in single player or Co-op mode, you rarely see games that do that now days. Expand
  59. Aug 28, 2013
    Okay where to begin... Saints Row the third was a better game in the respect you felt you had to play the game even though it was easy on hard, you had to use vehicles to travel and you felt you had to upgrade them for a better experience, in this game however you don't even need to get into a car let alone a plane, your super powers means you can get across Steel port faster than anyOkay where to begin... Saints Row the third was a better game in the respect you felt you had to play the game even though it was easy on hard, you had to use vehicles to travel and you felt you had to upgrade them for a better experience, in this game however you don't even need to get into a car let alone a plane, your super powers means you can get across Steel port faster than any vehicle in the game.
    It's not GTA 5 and not aspiring to be GTA 5, look at it as a new game entirely or you won't enjoy it.

Saints Row 4 however feels just casual and easier than SR3.
    Also if you have a bad gaming rig this game is pretty heavy as far as FPS goes, I am not effected by this as i have a top banana machine and play this game on ULTRA.

Pros:
    1. Looks great if you can play it on ULTRA
    2. Very funny, probably the funniest I've played, you will laugh from start to end.
    3. Easy fun, the more they give you the easier it gets, hard is really not hard
    4. Storyline, you do find yourself getting sucked in especially if you have played the previous installments

Cons:

1. Superpowers, wish they did not add these they are fun but take away EVERYTHING the game used to be
    2. Easy to put down, you don't feel you need to or want to play it, i found myself going and playing something else
    3. Repetitive, there is a lot of missions but nothing new.
    4. EXPENSIVE!!! and boy you feel like you have paid to much for this game wait for it to be cheaper
    5. 0 realism, it's just a mash up of silliness and being truly bonkers
    6. It does feel like a reskin, the city is the same the engine is definitely the same it just feels the same with stupid attached

It's not the best game this year not even close, but it's a good laugh, very casual and if you're feeling down play this, it'll improve your mood. i like it, but i do not love it.

Look at it as something new not a GTA 5.
  60. Aug 31, 2013
    No one would have believed in the first years of the twenty-first century that a game series that initially revolved around car theft and drug related gang warfare would eventually evolve into featuring a playable, heavily customizable US president in a space ship, hacking into the Matrix to avenge humanity by fighting hordes of alien invaders and giant soft drink cans with various superNo one would have believed in the first years of the twenty-first century that a game series that initially revolved around car theft and drug related gang warfare would eventually evolve into featuring a playable, heavily customizable US president in a space ship, hacking into the Matrix to avenge humanity by fighting hordes of alien invaders and giant soft drink cans with various super powers. But still this has become a fact.

I recommend everyone with a decent sense of humor to play this unlikely masterpiece of endless fun and severe insanity. Preferably together with a like-minded friend in co-op.
  61. Sep 4, 2013
    [Original Review: 8/25/13; Updated 9/5/13]
    What happens if you take:
    1 part super powers from Prototype, 1 part collection scheme from Crackdown/Infamous, 1 part crazy weapon collection from Ratchet & Clank, 1 part irreverent M-rated humor, and 1 part gratuitous violence? You get Saints Row 4 and therein lies the problem. The game is, at best, schizophrenic in terms of what it aims
    [Original Review: 8/25/13; Updated 9/5/13]
    What happens if you take:

You get Saints Row 4 and therein lies the problem. The game is, at best, schizophrenic in terms of what it aims to be. While it continues to be completely irreverent and crude, often making fun of pop culture and other games, it's lost a lot of what made Saints Row the "anti-GTA". Now it wants to be a super hero game, a mini games collection, and Saints Row without really committing to any of the styles.

Running around gathering clusters isn't nearly as enjoyable as orb gathering from Crackdown or shard gathering from inFamous, the free roaming city design is utterly destroyed by the ease of traversing the entire city using super jump and super speed, both of which can be maxxed out within only 2-3 hours of gameplay time.

It bears repeating that this was originally designed as a large DLC for Saints Row: The Third but ended up becoming a full game in and of itself. This is evident in the fact that Steelport hasn't changed except to add the new alien structures. The location of most events are in the same places as SR3, the models are the exact same, and the core gameplay is shorter.

How much shorter is this game compared to its predecessor? Well, when I completed the main story, I had finished all the activities, side quests, and targets and was sitting at 93% completion after only 14 and a half hours. I spent shy of an hour and a half finishing up gathering all the collectibles and doubling back to repeat two activities for gold medals and reached 100%. On hardcore, I had reached 100% completion in a third of the time spent on Saints Row The Third.

"Why is this game so short?", you may be asking. Well, frankly, they gutted a ton of activities that was in Saints Row The Third for this and streamlined the number of stores, as well. For example, the Saints Row standby missions of "Snatch", "Escort", and "Trafficking" missions are gone. The "Nobody Loves Me" clothing store is gone, and many stores have had their location numbers extremely reduced. "Genki Bowl", which had at least 7 different activities in Saints Row The Third, has been replaced with "Genki's Mind over Murder", which only has three (and two cameos of Genki Bowl as side missions). "Buying" properties has been changed into a hacking minigame that is annoying and tedious, not difficult. As for the activities themselves, other than one or two, anyone can get gold on them on the first try rather easily. "Insurance Fraud" which was one of the more challenging activities in SR3, has become laughably easy thanks to super sprint and the ragdoll mechanic (at one point, I had over a $1M combo, higher than needed for the gold medal).

Unfortunately, all the issues with the SR3 engine persist, and Deep Silver have even compounded some of the issues. The engine is even more poorly optimized than SR3 and slogs even on quality machines. The game is a buggy mess right now, with the initial release crashing and deleting game saves, and the patch "fixing" this issue causing even more problems such as the loss of weapons, cache, and vehicle/weapon upgrades.

All in all this is a very hurried cash in that, despite the humor, isn't worth the $50 price tag. It truly is nothing more than a quick 'expansion' of SR3 that is really only worth about $25. My sincere advice is to wait for a complete or GOTY version, then wait for THAT to go on Steam Sale before picking it up.
  62. Oct 26, 2013
    This game is a huge disappointment. It's nothing more than a big set of terrible DLC for SR3. It's the exact same world map as 3 just reskinned as Tron.
  63. Sep 8, 2013
    This is a very nice game. It's extremely over the top. If you are looking for a GTA type of game this is not it. They've taken a hard right off the path into insanity. It's more of an evil super hero type of game. There is a lot of content in here and so much customization. Having these powers does make things like cars obsolete as I run around collecting all of these data pods but if youThis is a very nice game. It's extremely over the top. If you are looking for a GTA type of game this is not it. They've taken a hard right off the path into insanity. It's more of an evil super hero type of game. There is a lot of content in here and so much customization. Having these powers does make things like cars obsolete as I run around collecting all of these data pods but if you want to drive the cars can be pimped out. Some of it is cheeseball such as after mission screens where your character is doing really foolish moves and some missions are a lot easier than others. I've been playing off and on for about a month with 25 hours into it and I'm 25% complete. So unless you hit it really hard you won't sail through this game. There are tricks to doing that like loading an apache type helicopter for each mission. The aliens just get devestated. That's up to you though if you want to take a few shortcuts and complete it really fast. I don't know if there is much replay ability to it. I really enjoy this game but once it's complete I'll likely load SR3 back up. Expand
  64. Sep 9, 2013
    If you don't mind a completely absurd plot which is a copy-paste from pop culture icons liek the Matrix, than you will enjoy this title. If not, this will be just another clone of GTA and you should give a 6/10 instead of my 7.

It's not bad as some have stated here, it's just very specific and will not fit everybody.
  65. Sep 4, 2013
    I just can't stop having fun with this game, its crazy amazing fun, given the super powers you feel like hitch flying round the skys. I love this frickin game, I'm just gonna keep playing the cr*p out of it until GTA 5.
  66. Sep 1, 2013
    Prototype 3, starring Nolan North as Neo.

The game is hilarious, fun, and a bit schizophrenic. It plays far more like Prototype than Saints Row, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. If you thought Saints Row 3 didn't take itself too seriously...this one is on a whole other level. Even on hardcore mode it's not that difficult, that's pretty much the only glaring flaw with it.
    Prototype 3, starring Nolan North as Neo.

Even on hardcore mode it's not that difficult, that's pretty much the only glaring flaw with it. There's also a few glitches like getting stuck in walls if you're slammed into them with a telekinetic blast, or enemies getting stuck in them if you slam someone into them with a telekinetic blast.

If the game was harder I'd give it a solid 9/10, if it was harder and the glitches were polished out I'd give it a 10/10.
  67. Sep 5, 2013
    This game is what "The Matrix" video game should have been like.

It gives you ridiculously overpowered abilities and weapons and unleashes you and your enemies into an open world full of things to do. What else can you ask for?
  68. Sep 7, 2013
    'Saints Row IV' is basically 'Saints Row: The Third' on Steroids, which is a good thing. It still contains all of what made 'The Third' amazing, and multiplied it by ten. The customization, witty dialogue, unique missions, and sheer insanity.

While some think it taking place in the same city as the previous game is a bad idea, I think it was the right idea. It gave them more time and resources to spend on other aspects of the game.

They really nailed the effects and shaders, and used them to their advantage. Whether it's the "loading" in of the virtual world, the very subtle pixelation of random characters and objects, or the almost VHS like flicker you can notice buildings have when you look closely at them. It gives off a feeling of being in a simulated world, without shoving it in your face 24/7. Only when it is crucial to the plot will they make it completely obvious, and over the top. It's stuff like this that really makes the game feel polished.

While many of the mission types from 'Saints Row: The Third' did get carried over into 'Saints Row IV', They also added some new, completely different missions. Especially in the main story. There were many times while playing through the main story that I had nearly forgotten that I was playing one game, and not an amalgam of three or four different games blended seamlessly together.

I have to admit, I was a little worried that it might just turn out as an expensive, standalone DLC for the previous game. However, I loved what I saw in the trailers and liked the previous game, so I trusted them. That trust paid off. There was not a single part in the main story where I knew what was going to happen next. It was well written, unique, and enthralling. You identify with both the protagonist (your character) and the antagonist. Some parts made me mad, some made me sad. Mostly, it made me laugh.

I would definitely recommend it to anyone that liked 'Saints Row: The Third' for its absurdity, hilarious character dialogue, ridiculous plot twists, and unique gameplay.

I would not recommend it to anyone who is expecting it to be a serious, more realistic game, not unlike the Grand Theft Auto series. That's just not what The Third Street Saints are about.
  69. Sep 7, 2013
    The game's a major beast. This game is right now being heavily compared to the most anticipated game of 2013 which is GTA V. This game surpasses its previous successors in all aspects apart from the graphics. The graphics of Saints Row IV for the Pc's much better than the Xbox 360.Its also handy to play. The gameplay's great. Those guys have improved the game mechanics.Nothing more toThe game's a major beast. This game is right now being heavily compared to the most anticipated game of 2013 which is GTA V. This game surpasses its previous successors in all aspects apart from the graphics. The graphics of Saints Row IV for the Pc's much better than the Xbox 360.Its also handy to play. The gameplay's great. Those guys have improved the game mechanics.Nothing more to say. Great Game!!! Expand
  70. Aug 28, 2013
    Being someone from the original Saints Row 1 and 2 crowd, I must say this is not a 'Saints Row' game. i consider it more of a spin off. It is an amazing game, don't get me wrong. But if you are expecting Saints Row 2, you came to the wrong place. If you did not like Saints Row 3, don't worry, I thought that game was utter s*** as well. But this, this is... Dang.
  71. Aug 31, 2013
    It lacks some of the WTF moments like in SR3, but it does carry itself very well. If you're a fan, definitely get this. The amount of homages it pays to other games/movies is worth the price of admission alone.
  72. Sep 3, 2013
    Disclosure: I created a metacritic account specifically because I felt the need to counteract several of the 0 point reviews on here that are essentially "This game sucks!"

My opinion: Yes, this iteration of Saints Row doesn't really innovate quite as much as the others did, but you know, it's still ridiculously fun, especially for something that almost didn't get created in the

My opinion:

Yes, this iteration of Saints Row doesn't really innovate quite as much as the others did, but you know, it's still ridiculously fun, especially for something that almost didn't get created in the first place.

Yes, portions of this were originally slated to be DLC for SR3, but the released product goes beyond that.

Yes, portions of the game get repetitive (namely the non-story related missions), but I found that true for SR3 and *gasp* SR2 (which seems to be the Holy Grail for several of the people making negative comments).

The story itself is actually pretty enjoyable (if not flat out ridiculous), and I thoroughly enjoyed playing it. That said, I *did* pre-order it and get it for around $40; I don't know that it's worth $50, and definitely not $60, but I've yet to see it for over $50 on Steam. I'm also convinced that anyone giving this a 0 either a) didn't bother playing the game for more than 10 minutes before reviewing it or b) is blatant troll-baiting.
  73. Sep 6, 2013
    Weird. Everyone seems to rate this against SR3 2 etc. I never played those. Looks like I picked a good time to find Saints Row, because this one is just excellent. The humour is fantastic (even if you've never played the others). The variety and scope is awesome. It's just insane, stupid, over-powered, well cooked fun from start to end. I reckon there's about 40 hours+ game play just inWeird. Everyone seems to rate this against SR3 2 etc. I never played those. Looks like I picked a good time to find Saints Row, because this one is just excellent. The humour is fantastic (even if you've never played the others). The variety and scope is awesome. It's just insane, stupid, over-powered, well cooked fun from start to end. I reckon there's about 40 hours+ game play just in the single player, and I really was sad to reach the final mission. That's a sign of a good game in my book.

If you want reality and no super powers, go pick up one of the thousands of "be a soldier" games, or dig out the GTA series. This isn't them. It has super powers, it's not meant to be realistic. It's just meant to be fun. It succeeds.
  74. Sep 10, 2013
    It may have been originally a DLC for SR3 but it's one of the most fun games I have played in quite sometime. In my opinion it's one of the mot underrated games in the past couple of years it's so much fun, allot of comedy in the script writing. I think it's worth every penny
  75. Sep 11, 2013
    First game in a long time that I have been hooked to for a whole weekend! Only shame is one the story finishes there is not much to do. The best way to describe this game is GTA with a tablespoon of LSD...
  76. Aug 25, 2013
    It has the same animation as the 3rd, and just added some stupid superpowers. the game has lost it...

really bad game. i wish i didnt spend 45 bucks on it :(

buyer beware
  77. Aug 25, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Usually I don't want to give a 10 rating too easily, but this game easily blew it's predecessor out of the park.
    Saints Row IV adds more than you think it does. The gameplay is Saints Row: The Third's but improved upon to include super powers. The story is much more better than SR3 as it has a full on plot instead of just wacky funny stuff that adds up for a story. The story ties up many loose ends in the series, bringing back old characters like Tanya Winters, Veteran Child, Maero and Julius. There are a lot of hilarious references and parodies that the writers created in this game, such as using a typical Call of Duty breach and clear on the first mission, and Metal Gear Solid's stealth gameplay during a rescue mission.

The game is by far a blast to play even alone, doing missions, side quests, activities, and collecting all of the audio logs and clusters, you can just roam around the world for nearly hours.

If you liked Saints Row: The Third, you will love Saints Row IV.
  78. Aug 23, 2013
    This is by far one of the funniest games I've ever played !
    The story is different that's true, but it's for the better.
    If you like absurd humor, then this game is made for you!
  79. Aug 23, 2013
    I think that is a mix of the best in the series that was foolish to abandon this. Yes I agree that the visual graphics are not changed but it has become much deeper in terms of gameplay and story. If you've played the games in the series you will not be disappointed. So I'm sure it's a great gift for beginners.
  80. Aug 31, 2013
    Hell NO. This can't be called Saint's Row IV. It could be called Saint's Row The Third: Alien Expansion pack. And it should cost around 10 euors, NOT 60! This is not a new game, is just an heavy modified version of SRIII with aliens! Missions are boring, repetitive, the story is nice and the story missions are good, but i can't believe they sold this game as a new Saint's Row. Very disappointed.
  81. Sep 6, 2013
    I cant see the fun in that game, its basically SR3 with Running and Jumping night time and dumb looking aliens. The gameplay is so clumsy and the humor fits for 12 year olds. Just a big expensive dlc pack for kids.
  82. Aug 31, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is madly/smartly awesome with so much time put into it! Seriously the game has some of the best easter eggs and funny writing.One of the best easter eggs are when you're escaping you hear "What is love" and also hear Kenzie screaming "DO A BARREL ROLL!". Expand
  83. Sep 8, 2013
    Where do I begin with this game? This is one of those games where you have to be careful how you review it because, if you say one wrong thing, someone will have your throat which leaves you questioning 'which of us was in the wrong?', but I digress.

This game for me was very disappointing, also to me at least I felt a bit lied to about the whole thing. Now before I begin I am going to point out this now...I will not be judging this game on the fact it was originally going to be DLC, even though I could and make the score lower, I feel that's kind of a low blow as just because it was going to be DLC doesn't mean it couldn't be a successful standalone game. I am judging this game from a story-line and gameplay standpoint.

The gameplay in 'Saints Row IV' is very enjoyable, it is fun to run around really fast and jump over buildings. It is really stimulating, I'll happily admit that it’s like you’re a god in a world of toy soldiers. But that is one of the game’s biggest downfalls'. The powers in the game make you too powerful, you are able to get around the map so quickly and easily it removes one of the core features in these city-sandbox games...CARS!!!! They in 'Saints Row IV' now have no purpose or requirement, they were originally there to allow you a faster mode of transport around Steelport, but since now you can just jump over buildings, run across the road at super-sonic speeds and, cars go soaring away like a candy wrapper in an updraft when you run into them. Another thing these powers have done in this is made the game SOOOO EASY!!! Now what I mean is they give you all these super powers to use but then they couldn't think how to make the game still challenging so they made the challenge 'fake', what I mean is they make it so your health no longer regenerates, so you have to get health pickups from enemies which are in large numbers that aren't hard to kill because of your superpowers (also why in Saints Row II & Saints Row the Third do you regenerate health when you're mortal but in this you’re a superhero and you don't?...weird). And finally about the powers is one fact that most positive reviews leave out; the fact that these super powers in a virtual world, already existed in Saints Row the Third's DLC in the real world...and in Crackdown...and in Prototype it basically takes the original ideas of other games and puts them in this (including its own franchise!) even USGamer says and I quote 'While the game's roots as Saints Row: The Third DLC are still showing, Volition has put together an amazing game from a wide variety of sources.' even though it's used in a positive context here the point still stands that the game is just parts of other games. So to summarize:
    Vehicles: Useless
    Enemies: Weak
    Difficulty: None or Easy
    Superpowers: Unoriginal-ception!!!
    Gameplay enjoyment: Fun

Now the worst half, the story-line...to put it bluntly, BULL CRAP!!! That is all the story is in this. The thing that most people say about this game is, 'this isn't a game to take seriously it's meant to just be a game to kick back and enjoy yourself'. In my eyes that is what free-roaming is for, your own amusement, not the story-line! I remember a trailer saying that this was going to be 'The Most Dramatic Saints Row Game ever!' but that isn't true because for effective drama you need a threat, tension and, believable characters to pull it all off and make you intrigued, this game has none of those traits. The threat in this game isn't threatening. I was never for one second convinced that the aliens would enslave the human race entirely and rule the world at the end of the game, because it was one large invasion! Since there was a large scale threat there isn't any fear that they will win because you know that for this scenario the developers wouldn't do that, but if there was one alien in the game who was superior to you in any and every way and he had a new character prisoner, there would be a small threat that is effective because it creates genuine tension. If Zinyak came alone to earth and was able to stop you very easily and had captured Asha who was just introduced that creates great tension because you don't if in this game their main character or a built-up plot point just ready to die at his hands, and the fact it can go either way makes great tension. There you go, there’s a way to improve Saints Row IV straight away! Also the characters are just gone in this game, they just aren't them selves. And that sucks because I like these characters but in this I don't. The comedy is all wrong as well as the charm of saints row 2 & 3 was it was serious and funny but this is just funny that isn't really funny at all.

So overall I'd say don't waste your time, if you take the time to see the issues with this game, you'll start to notice obvious flaws. In my opinion: save yourself $40-$50 and buy something else; crackdown... or Prototype. Seriously it's the same game
  84. Aug 28, 2013
    God damn hilarious. A seriously fun play that carries the Saints Row spirit. It was nice to see the old characters come back as well as introducing new ones.
  85. Aug 27, 2013
    Saints Row IV was expected to be the craziest game in the series. It did a great job of it. Saints Row: the Third was a little more boring, giving you more repetitive activities. Saints Row IV adds in so many new things to do, especially since the superpowers have been introduced. It uses great humor, well chosen radio songs, and awesome effects. Most of all, the game lets you play youSaints Row IV was expected to be the craziest game in the series. It did a great job of it. Saints Row: the Third was a little more boring, giving you more repetitive activities. Saints Row IV adds in so many new things to do, especially since the superpowers have been introduced. It uses great humor, well chosen radio songs, and awesome effects. Most of all, the game lets you play you want to play. If you want to be the badass superhero, ramming tanks into the skies, or if you want to be the old-style gun-wielding gangbanger, you can be that. Saints Row IV says it's your game in these ways, and it can't disappoint. Expand
  86. Sep 24, 2013
    Great game i dont care if people say is only a dlc, this is just a damn game that want you to have a good time, thats what games propose is right? make you have a good time. i hope volition make more games like these one
  87. Aug 29, 2013
    86 from critics? It's recycled content that was meant to be DLC and it shows, if you have Saints Row 3 and the super power DLC then there is nothing new for you here. It is literally the exact same thing.
  88. Aug 25, 2013
    After having dealt with this game's for hours on end and having been ejected out of the game for the 3rd time today by some random crash I'm finally putting it down. I regret not buying the physical CD so that I could at least get the satisfaction of hurling it across the street and watching it shatter on the sidewalk.

As a disclaimer, I actually liked saints row the third, thought it

As a disclaimer, I actually liked saints row the third, thought it was an enjoyable experience, and gave it a 7.5/10 or so. Saints row the IV, however, does absolutely everything wrong and gets a 2/10. You see, GTA and prototype had a baby, drank moonshine and did PCP the entire pregnancy, then promptly aborted the baby at 8 months in order to give birth to this brilliant abomination.

Where to start. The game throws out any sense of logic, immersion, fun, and challenge right away at the door and CONSTANTLY reminds you that it did so IN THE DIALOG throughout the game. Your first moments in the actual game put you right back in the exact city you played in the 3rd one with a few alien towers scattered about. Same cars, same insanely dressed cardboard pedestrians, same buildings, same boring grey sky, same side quests, same outdated graphics. You quickly realize you're playing just about the same exact game with this new super hero system bolted onto the side. You can run super fast and jump really high similar to prototype. In fact the movement system is identical to prototypes except... *drum roll* no parkour system whatsoever!!! Expect to get stuck on light posts, fences, random overhanging ledges, or anything that isn't flat. You're really overpowered even with the new pickup based health system (one of their only good ideas). You also quickly learn a fireball spell which literally clears the entire field of enemies with a single blast with a powerful CC and spreading DOT effect. There's really no fun in being immensely overpowered and pointlessly running between the ship and the simulation to complete the same boring ass side missions over and over. Some were fun like the on foot/motor cycle racing ones, but no one wants to play them 10 times. By the way, your main form of progression in the game comes form tediously collecting hundreds and hundreds of glowing "code bits" scattered around the world... have fun.

Apart from the game being really easy and the new movement system being annoying and jarring to use (even from a prototype veteran parkour master sensi), its also really really buggy. You can ram a tank and send it FLYING into space without losing any speed but a car you bump into while running can hit a wall, bounce off it, and instantly ragdoll you on contact and it happens ALOT (this goes for any debris as well). Cars going 40mph across an intersection also can ragdoll you even though one of your punches will send it flying over a gas station. There are an assortment of glitches and bugs specific to each mission that either slow you down a lot or force you to restart the game and could have easily been fixed if any amount of beta testing took place.

As for the story, its simply flat, boring, and stupid. The game is mostly about you and Kenzi talking back and forth which essentially boils down to "Hey kenzie, what's the plan?", "Go disrupt the signal relay so the simulation code overloads and we can siphon data from the internal storage module" "What?" "Go shoot the big glowy thing and kill aliens" "Oh, why didn't you say so". Huh huh huh, that gets pretty old after the 10th time. If you thought the opening missions were bad, wait until you rescue Johny Gatt. Your entire crew instantly starts sucking up to him like they've all been childhood friends in the most corny, cliche, and forced fashion you could possibly imagine. You get the feeling that the characters are literally begging for your forgiveness on behalf of the developers for even having thought about killing Johny Gatt in the last Saints game. Before that, you had to rescue each saint from their own mental simulations which was a good idea, except it was really repetitive, easy, and unimaginative. My favorite was saving Big Ben which ironically was a simulation of a scene from the first saints game. At least you can go around and have sex with every crew member you rescue, so that's cool... and confusing.

Anyways, I expected a lot more from this game than a steaming pile of garbage. This will probably be the last saints row game they make unless the apocalypse starts early or something.

89. Aug 23, 2013
    I'm in love with this game as much as I was Saints Row 3. It has enough new content to make it feel like a full-blown sequel while keeping everything that made Saints Row 3 such a great game. A game like this is definitely going to get a lot of hate purely because of how stupid and over-the-top this game is, but that's the point! The main thing I love about this game is how it doesn't takeI'm in love with this game as much as I was Saints Row 3. It has enough new content to make it feel like a full-blown sequel while keeping everything that made Saints Row 3 such a great game. A game like this is definitely going to get a lot of hate purely because of how stupid and over-the-top this game is, but that's the point! The main thing I love about this game is how it doesn't take itself too seriously, and maybe more people would enjoy it if they didn't take it too seriously either. What really takes the cake for me is that I was able to carry my Saints Row 3 character over to Saints Row IV, which is awesome! Expand
  90. Aug 22, 2013
    I will be completely honest, I didn't like Saints Row the Third. With that being said, I wanted the series to go back to it's roots with the mix of the GTA style sandbox with a side of ridiculous stuff, what did we end up getting? Neither, SR 3 or SR2. Is that a bad thing? Not necessarily and here's why. A game can be is ridiculous as it wants but all it needs especially for saints row isI will be completely honest, I didn't like Saints Row the Third. With that being said, I wanted the series to go back to it's roots with the mix of the GTA style sandbox with a side of ridiculous stuff, what did we end up getting? Neither, SR 3 or SR2. Is that a bad thing? Not necessarily and here's why. A game can be is ridiculous as it wants but all it needs especially for saints row is a good story. Yes a lot of things from SR3 and SR2 are recycled but that doesn't but if the gameplay is fun (which it is) and the story is good (which it is) then I'm all for it. Saints Row the Third failed to find a balance between the ridiculous and seriousness that previous games in the series had. Saints Row IV on the other hand balanced those two things in a different way, by amplifying both. There are a lot of nostalgic moments from the previous games (which I loved). So overall I don't understand how people can thing Saints Row 3 is a great game while Saints Row IV essentially improves on everything SR3 did wrong. The biggest question though is if Saints Row IV is just glorified dlc. Like I mentioned, a lot of things are recycled but by no means did I ever feel like I was playing a rehashed game throughout by 11 hour run-through of the main story. I am giving it a 9 out of 10 simply because of how close it came to reaching the great heights that Saints Row 2. I feel that this franchise has really found it's niche in the sandbox world even if the third game sucked (Saints Row 3 6/10). So, I look forward to future adventures with the saints. Expand
  91. Aug 25, 2013
    Not everyone is meant to be awesome.

You have some people who just want to repeat the same old tedious nonsense over and over. They'll sit down and do the same thing day in, day out. They don't get bored, they have no sense of quality, and that's why franchises continue to sell so well despite never changing their formula. So, what's the biggest complaint in the negative reviews of
    Not everyone is meant to be awesome.

So, what's the biggest complaint in the negative reviews of Saints Row IV? It's different. It's entirely out of left field, and that's fun. Not everyone wants fun, most people want to retread the same ground, and they hate anything new and original. They're not interested in Saints Row IV because it isn't exactly the same as Saints Row II, and they'll come up with any lacklustre excuse to hide this.

Some people aren't meant to be awesome.

I'm awesome, personally. And I'm having a fantastic time with this game, since it's something novel and a bit different. And it has that elusive quality which many games lack. What quality, you ask? What is this elusive, strange quality which games have been so bereft of, lately?

Fun.

Saints Row IV is awesome. It's fun.

Not everyone can be fun, and not everyone knows how to appreciate fun. Some people will spend their afternoons grinding away in Call of Duty, and to those poor souls, that'll be "fun," because they have very distorted view of fun. To me, sitting on your arse, grinding through bland, boring levels, finding places to lie down with your sniper rifle to take potshots? That's about as fun as filling out a form, or doing taxes.

Fun is exhilarating, fun is thrilling, fun has you sitting on the edge of your seat. Fun is awesome.

So, if you value fun? If you're awesome? Saints Row IV is for you. Simple as that. Ignore the boring twerps who simply can't handle it, and do try not to become one of them.
  92. Aug 24, 2013
    Leave aside the fanboys who bash this great game just because "It isn't exactly like Saints Row 2!", an amazing game, superpowers done well, a lot of things to do, a long sandbox (Took me more than 30 hours to beat) and a LOT of fun, give it a try, from someone who loved SR2 and "liked" SR3, this one is on par on SR2.
  93. Aug 24, 2013
    The game is ridiculous, it's over the top and it's a little flaky on the storyline front. It's also a lot of fun! With some really great guns and an open world to wreak havoc on, it's a huge disaster sandbox. Yes it's got more nonsensical but it's not trying to win you over with a coherent storyline, it's trying to be fun and in your face. I like it.
  94. Sep 6, 2013
    Disappointed. A mutated Saints Row The Third, with bizarre main character twists. I was thinking in a 7 score but I have mixed feelings, more turning to bad, and for the yellow bar a 6 would be more fitting. Jeez I think I would stop believing in videogame sites reviews, they simply are more benevolent in some games just because the name lately than usual. Further more, very good games areDisappointed. A mutated Saints Row The Third, with bizarre main character twists. I was thinking in a 7 score but I have mixed feelings, more turning to bad, and for the yellow bar a 6 would be more fitting. Jeez I think I would stop believing in videogame sites reviews, they simply are more benevolent in some games just because the name lately than usual. Further more, very good games are underrated, buy I would prefer not to mention names. I'm disappointed with this one. I have to mention that I haven't played the first ones, only the third and I liked it, very. I have heard that the third was a mimic from the others. I cant tell haven't checked that just yet, but I will base my review on the Third. This game is actually the Third but mutated as mentioned before. And is not the classic GTA style, just morphed into a Prototype so I've heard maybe a Infamous one, a little bit. The city is actually the same, all is actually the same with very little modifications to worst. it's like imagine an ad from the third now imagine the ad with an ugly face. Bad. I don't know if this going to change further ahead in the game but the result is the same. Your character is more like a superhero that a successful gang leader or so. So like a superhero, you don't need more the use of a car and so on. This is not like isn't fun but; for the ones who liked the first releases, this is a complete letdown. In fact this 4th installment was released soo early. In fact feels more like an ad-on, that a new release. Maybe that was the first goal, and Volition just change of company or I heard so, that the result is bad. Well to be sincere, is not like is a bad game but neither a good one, just an average, what is lame for a successful franchise(or, it was?) This reminds me that there's a phrase to mention for the hyperactive people who always want to improve what doesn't need to be improved: If isn't broken, Don't fix it!
    But what is broken? Saints Row just need better graphics, a little more of everything like a working subway a completely new big and different city, even the most simple solution like, only just imaging(is not like I have seen this before...) if they like variety why don't they just release a new Saint Row with a 50-60s atmosphere? All that with the crazy humor and everything so peculiar of the Saints. I would certainly cheer and like that, meanwhile look like the Saints are on the road to hell like Tomb Raider, Hitman ,Resident Evil and the list goes on ,I hope that Volition reconsider it for them and or us for he next gen of videogames PS4,Xbox One, PC and retake the path, and don't see another weird mutation next time.
  95. Aug 25, 2013
    Terrible port, Max Anti aliasing of 8x msaa causes barrels to look like squares, Corpses have white edges round them. Terrible game play, Even on the hardest difficulty it has ridiculous auto aim with terrible AI, The AI barely knows that they can shoot and when they do they miss by a mile, There is no challenge to the game and not worth the money. With Saints Row 4 you get exactly whatTerrible port, Max Anti aliasing of 8x msaa causes barrels to look like squares, Corpses have white edges round them. Terrible game play, Even on the hardest difficulty it has ridiculous auto aim with terrible AI, The AI barely knows that they can shoot and when they do they miss by a mile, There is no challenge to the game and not worth the money. With Saints Row 4 you get exactly what you get with saints row 3 but worse. Expand
  96. Aug 25, 2013
    This game is a lot of fun. Its not perfect but I truly feel like a badass playing this game, running around freezing things, setting things on fire, inflating heads and abducting people. Just the amount of things you can do makes this game what it is. If you have expectations, you might be disappointed, but if you clear your mind and just let the game suck you in. You will have a blast.This game is a lot of fun. Its not perfect but I truly feel like a badass playing this game, running around freezing things, setting things on fire, inflating heads and abducting people. Just the amount of things you can do makes this game what it is. If you have expectations, you might be disappointed, but if you clear your mind and just let the game suck you in. You will have a blast. And yes if your a FAN BOY of GTA, and think GTA is GOD. Then you already set the bar low for this game, and of course it will not meet your expectations. But if your open minded and have a sick sense of humor. You will like this game. Expand
  97. Aug 28, 2013
    I went into this game extremely skeptical. I heard it was originally supposed to be DLC, and was not amused by the fact that this was built directly from Saints Row 3. I was also just as nervous to see how far they would push the ridiculous factor as anybody else returning to the series was.
    Despite all that, lets just get it out of the way: I had tons of fun playing the game.
    The Saints
    The Saints Row crew really know how to deliver their story and make things feel epic when they want to. The Matrix theme opened up a lot of opportunities to explore things I have never seen done with a game, and it all felt really good. Being as skeptical as I was coming in, it took me a few hours into the game to decide I was actually really having fun and then became genuinely immersed in the game. The oldschool game puns are hilarious.
    Now, the game did have a few flaws; Superpowers require practice and some upgrading before they feel fluid; Distractions and other optional tasks such as takeovers, Professor Genki missions, races, or other challenges are now connected with sidequests, meaning if you stop completing missions to do optional tasks in the world, you will get ahead of objectives and could miss out on some character and mission dialogue, if that is even important to you; But the biggest thing I could complain about is the amount of content for the price. I beat the game at 40 hours and am nearly at 100% completion. I bled the game dry. There is replay value here but if I could have squeezed 10 more hours out of gameplay, I would have been completely satisfied with the bang for my buck.
    However, as of right now, this game has itself set up for the greatest DLC content we may have ever seen. There are so many possibilities and directions the game could take with this new outrageous matrix simulation theme. I really, really hope that they take advantage of it and put out some amazing DLC.
    I heavily enjoyed this game and am looking forward to more. Removed a few points for the 50 dollar price tag vs. content. Since this game was built directly from the older game that I was able to put 80 hours into, there is unfortunately no excuse that they could not stuff in more content. Other than that, great experience.
  98. Aug 24, 2013
    This would be an OK game at $20-30 at time of release. I have found the experience to be undeniably fun, although short lived and cheap. On normal difficulty I had 100% completion in about 20 hours, which in my opinion is not worth the fifty dollar price.
    The strongest, or most interesting, mechanic in this game is probably the addition of superpowers in a sandbox-type environment, which leads to a lot of goofing around. Navigating the city by running around faster than cars and jumping over buildings was still as enjoyable at the twentieth hour of gameplay as it was during the first. However, the implementation of superpowers feels only skin deep and points a big spotlight on the lack of work put in by the developers. Now, most likely this wasn't entirely the developers' fault, but rather a decision made by the publisher to upgrade from an expansion pack/DLC (that this game was originally meant to be) to a full game.
    Why is the implementation of superpowers so shallow? For one, the starting offensive superpower, the freeze blast, is the one that you will probably use 95% of the time in combat. Bad guys appear. You freeze them, which makes most enemies one hit kills, stops them from dealing damage to you, and breaks any special attacks that tougher enemies might be planning to unleash on you. Occasionally, the game will force you to change powers for some specific task, like a special game mode/activity, but there is no fluidity to using different powers in combat. What I would expect from a game with so many superpowers and ways to customize them is some sort of "rock-paper-scissor" mechanic or a chain/combo mechanic where you "start off with one of these, then give 'em one of these, and give 'em two of those for good measure" all while peppering them with small arms fire. Instead, you drop in on your enemies unannounced, push the "I win" button(Q by default), shoot the survivors, and you're off on your next adventure. Nothing but a quick disposable thrill, just tie it and throw it in the trash.
    Now this game isn't serious, nor did I expect it to be (it is Saints Row after all), but you quickly run out of ways to goof around. There is only so many unique things that you can do. And I'm not talking about "activities" or the mini-games, which you'll just breeze through anyway (and enjoyably, at least for me), but I've found the sandbox experience rather limited. Your gang is essentially useless, since you're a one man army. The game sticks you into a sandbox, but all the sand is dry and your tools are useless; so the only thing that you can really build is a big dune.
    Despite everything I've said, Saints Row IV is not a bad game. You will probably enjoy playing it, but don't expect the feeling of a full game. For a 20 hour long experience, the material presents itself ok, throws a few decent punch lines your way, metaphorically speaking, and leaves before it overstays its welcome. It's just not worth the ticket price. Just a publisher looking to cash in on some recently bought intellectual property.
  99. Aug 30, 2013
    This game is awesome. This game is just everything that a gamer needs. Supah powas. Dubstep. Benjamin [CENSORED] King. Haddaway. Aerosmith. Repeat with me: GOTY. And, of course, f* you, Zinyak.
  100. Aug 21, 2013
    I wasn't sure I'd be happy with SRIV given the "it started as an expansion" thing as well as not being a big fan of superhero themes...but so far, I have to admit I'm having a lot of fun. Where SR:TT left me feeling a little listless and bored, SRIV has (so far) been just plain fun. I can't say I've just enjoyed a game like this in quite a while.

Would I have liked a "real" new game?

Would I have liked a "real" new game? Sure, I suppose. But, really, in the end, so long as I get a full game's worth of time out of it, I don't really care if it stays as fun as it is.

1. Oct 28, 2013
    A combination of sublime and ridiculous, Saints Row IV is outlandish fun. [Nov 2013, p.97]
  2. Oct 5, 2013
    Saints Row IV is wild and wacky, but also provides first class entertainment. [Sept 2013]
  3. Sep 10, 2013
    The fourth part in the Saints Row saga is an outrageous, silly and incredibly entertaining adventure. The days of Grand Theft Auto is since long gone and the game reminds you rather of the super hero games Crackdown and Infamous. An unexpected but welcome change.