Saints Row IV PC

7.4

1. Aug 20, 2013
    It feels a lot like a massive DLC update for Saints Row III. You scramble to unlock various superpower through relatively repetitive side-missions in the same city as the prior game(with minor changes). The largest appealing factor is the main story-line. While ridiculously easy even on the hardest difficulty. the writing makes up for the lack of challenging gameplay. Vehicles and weaponsIt feels a lot like a massive DLC update for Saints Row III. You scramble to unlock various superpower through relatively repetitive side-missions in the same city as the prior game(with minor changes). The largest appealing factor is the main story-line. While ridiculously easy even on the hardest difficulty. the writing makes up for the lack of challenging gameplay. Vehicles and weapons feel largely ineffectual for the majority of the game which really sinks one of the main attractions of its predecessor. Expand
  2. Aug 20, 2013
    Saints Row the third with super powers

whole review nothing else needed to be said i guess i'm in the minority of people who don't like the super powers and thinks they should of been kept as DLC not the main focus of the game, and the world is almost exactly the same only updated a little to accommodate super powers don't get me wrong the super powers are fun but i did not want
    Saints Row the third with super powers

whole review

don't get me wrong the super powers are fun but i did not want that as the whole game i might as well go play infamous which does it better and is more original
  3. Aug 23, 2013
    "Saints Row IV" is basically "Dead Island Riptide" it's an exact clone of its predecessor, with less fun to be had. So forgivable and so braindead, it pains me that this game gets a 86 from critics. Shame on you, Deep Silver.
  4. Aug 20, 2013
    A great example of how to totally milk your franchise and still get above average results.

Gameplay, Graphics, and Content largely unchanged from SR3, making SR4 feel like an overpriced Expansion Pack. And really, what more is it than an expansion pack that has added a new plot and some new "powers" to Saint's Row 3? If by Powers you mean changing the physics while slapping on some

And really, what more is it than an expansion pack that has added a new plot and some new "powers" to Saint's Row 3? If by Powers you mean changing the physics while slapping on some graphics to round out the edges then you've pretty much summed up Saint's Row 4.

A brilliant way to shamelessly real in the last pile of cash from your franchise before Grand Theft Auto 5 leaves you in the dust of the last generation of games.
  5. Sep 25, 2013
    Saint's Row IV takes the absurdity of the third installment of the series to a whole new level. The problem is that Saint's Row III had the perfect balance of over the top action and realism.

The game was really fun at stages but also pretty boring for some parts. Sometimes I had the feeling they tried to turn it from an open world game to a 3D platformer, making you climb massive

The game was really fun at stages but also pretty boring for some parts.
    Sometimes I had the feeling they tried to turn it from an open world game to a 3D platformer, making you climb massive towers or hitting a target after a jump right in the middle.
    The super powers make driving around through the city in a car completely obsolete. I only entered a car twice during the whole game (except for the missions where you have to drive a car) just to realize that it is much easier and faster to super sprint to my desired location.

For the first hours into the game I was really tempted to just quit the game and not touch it again.
    The scripted missions are great and the humor is delivered on the point. But after the perfect tutorial level it lasts pretty long until the same feeling comes up again. The pace only picks up after about 4-6 hours into the game.

The licensed music is good, especially when used as background music for the scripted missions it is used perfectly to underline the humor or tension. But as before, the music is not as well used as in Saint's Row III.

All of the character background stories from Part 1 up to Part 4 are recapped in the different "Sidekick Missions" which is great for nostalgic reasons and for people who haven't played the former titles.

Overall Saint's Row IV feels like more of the same we already know from it's predecessors.
    Personally I think that the developers forced themselves too much to be just a bit more over the top and absurd than before and lost something on the way of doing so.

Regarding the outcome of the story, I have absolutely no idea how a potential storyline for Saint's Row V could look like. This is why, although being a big fan of the SR franchise, I hope this was the last game in this series, for I fear it will only get worse from now on.

Looking at it retrospectively, I liked the game pretty much, but at first I really had to convince myself to keep playing and give it a second chance.
  6. Sep 12, 2013
    I liked the game, just not as i liked the second and third... this game story is way too lunatic but at least the gameplay is very fun, about activities they still dont seem as much as SR2.
  7. Sep 13, 2013
    firstly i liked SR3. it was lighthearted and mature enough. but it was too easy.

today i got SR4 and have so far played around 2 hours. i do like it and i feel like it was worth the money. but i also feel like i am playing a polished and extended SR3. the game follows the idea of an expansion much more than a sequel in my opinion. it uses the same playground but adds "more" of

the game follows the idea of an expansion much more than a sequel in my opinion. it uses the same playground but adds "more" of nearly everything. more customization, more casual stuff to do, more cars, more missions, buffed up graphics and soundtracks or so i think), more more more.

in my mind i had to compare it to a very nice "stuff pack" for like the Sims.

i had quite some fun playing so far but noticed that i did not care very much for the storymissions at all. the characters did not capture me as much as in prequels. the superhero mechanics are nice, but render some coregameplay obsolete (like cars) in some instances which is a shame.

all in all, you instantly feel familiar with the game if you have played SR3 maybe a bit too familiar.
  8. Oct 28, 2013
    This game is great. The only bad thing is, the game is pretty much Saints Row 3 but with aliens. The graphics are he same as SR3. and so is the gameplay. But still, this game is pretty good and pick it up if its on sale.
  9. Sep 29, 2013
    Saints Row IV for PC. Well, that is one crazy game. Crazy story, crazy characters, crazy weapons... That is one strange game and if you are a weird person this will fit you perfectly.
    A lot of customization options, a lot of shooting on aliens (nut shot apparently is better that head shot haha), a nice campaign. What is bad? Nonsense storyline, non realistic driving, aliens capable withstanding head shots like they just got beaten by mosquito. To be honest, if you remove aliens, it seems you have the old Saints 3 underneath.

Not my type of game, but I am sure that Saints have their own fans who will enjoy it.
    I will give it 6 of 10, I was never bored, but never immersed in the story as well..
  10. Oct 3, 2013
    The problem with critic's reviews, let's plays and general feedback for Saints Row The Third was that people raved about how "crazy" and madcap it was, and ignored that there was actually a pretty solid story there, and very much improved characters over those in Saints Row 2. I feel Volition really took that to heart unfortunately, and so what we have in Saints Row IV is all that insanityThe problem with critic's reviews, let's plays and general feedback for Saints Row The Third was that people raved about how "crazy" and madcap it was, and ignored that there was actually a pretty solid story there, and very much improved characters over those in Saints Row 2. I feel Volition really took that to heart unfortunately, and so what we have in Saints Row IV is all that insanity absolutely maxed out, with any story simply present to tie activities together.

The result is something that certainly feels a lot like those wacky SR3 DLC storylines (not surprising really, as the development for SR4 started off as a SR3 DLC) and not like a true Saints Row game. I know SR3 was criticised for the same (unfairly, in my opinion) but really any notion that this game has anything to do with street gangs vying for supremacy has been firmly thrown out of the window. What we have here is a game that is partly a spoof of Saints Row, and partly a spoof of Mass Effect, but does neither of those particularly well.

Where it does succeed is in the various activities (blazin', the various rift challenges, hotspots, fraud, etc.) which are either new or improved over their SR2/SR3 equivalents. A large proportion of the side quests in the game are just doing selected activities in groups; while understandable, this unfortunately means anyone who likes to explore activities in the open world is penalised in terms of story (such as it is) as these side quests skip the activities already completed.

Saints Row IV has also arguably taken another step down in difficulty, just as Saints Row The Third did over its predecessor. In co-op mode, the game will offer very little challenge even on hardcore difficulty for most players.

It's certainly not a bad game, in fact it's well worth the asking price, but in reality what you're getting here is a $60 piece of Saints Row The Third DLC, not something that truly continues the storyline and feel of the previous games. Anyone coming to SR4 without playing SR3 is missing out on a awful lot.
  11. Oct 20, 2013
    I will start by saying that I absolutely loved saints row 3, I got more than my money's worth out of it, it was and is incredibly enjoyable.

Saints Row IV is not bad, instead it's just a disappointment. This game is almost like a texture pack or skin for saints row 3. The game is still in Steelport, not literally, virtually in Steelport. As is shown in the trailers, there are super powers in this game, they're kind of broken. You get super speed running an hour or so into the game, so from that point on there is basically no reason to have a car, and upgrades to running and jumping also make it so there's not really a benefit to have a plane or helicopter either.

As far as their implementation in combat, they are ridiculous, like in the last game, you can do take downs (run at someone right click on PC), they are lethal on your run of the mill cops/gang members/zin. In this game, you run so fast that you can take out an entire group, 5+, that you can physically take down them all before they can really even take a shot at you. In 3, you were limited in take downs by your sprint meter, and until your respect level got really, really high up.In this you get unlimited sprint fairly early in.
    Instead of making them better or smarter fighters, instead they just spam them, literally opening portal. to bring in large groups of zin. This does make the combat harder (more like longer), but if you play on harder mode, it makes fighting with a gun basically useless, unless you want to take the time to take cover from the battalion of zin taking potshots at you, it's much faster to just use take downs.

The story is okay, not anything spectacular though, I'm avoiding spoilers so I can't really get into depth. While it's not bad, it certainly feels sequel-y (Although saints row 3 is a sequel also, it went in a completely different direction than 2 or 1 did.)

I've had one major glitch, to avoid spoilers I'll be vague. I had to get out a place with a door that was slowly closing, and the glitch meant that the doors closed to quickly. I did a quick search and found that the solution was changing the detail level, don't ask why but it worked. This occurred around a month after release.

This game also has it so when you want to upgrade powers you collect 'glitches', there are literally over 1000 in the entire game, and searching for them isn't hard but it is very, very tedious.

This is a mediocre game overall, but following saints row the third, it's just so disappointing. If you're a real fan of the series or just the third and are still interested, wait until it's on sale. I haven't yet finished the main storyline and I only play because I feel like I have to finish it, although I don't really want to.
  12. Nov 2, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Something that doesn't seem to be understood is that this game was originally DLC. This was Enter The Dominatrix, this was originally going to be a DLC for SR3. You can research this, this is true. And you can easily see this. You want to know how? Just look at the map. Apart from a few added set pieces, and a pretty new sky box that doesn't change, it is essentially the same map.

Let's look at the graphics, the A.I., the super powers that's were already in SR3, this was a spread out DLC they managed to turn into a game. But that doesn't change the fact it is one of my favourite games, ever. For all it's flaws it will remains consistent, and is good at what it does. Which is mad mad mad mad mad. And frankly I wouldn't have it any other way.
  13. Aug 27, 2013
    Having played saints row the third, i found this game quite dull for its price. Yes i like superpowers, but the whole game feels like a big DLC for saints row 3. The shops are the same, the clothing are the same, even the hairs, the cars and the motorbikes...
    The side quests are almost the same of SRTT and they became boring really fast.
    So i think this game is not bad but they can't
    The side quests are almost the same of SRTT and they became boring really fast.
    So i think this game is not bad but they can't sold it as a completely new game.
  14. Sep 4, 2013
    Saints Row 4 is super entertaining game with some really smart jokes. Super hero powers makes it unique open world experience. Bad stuff are generic gunplay, awful melee, boring city, no challenge at all! So, it's not a game of the year, but still a great title
  15. Sep 5, 2013
    First, dudes back there can't be serious. Selling highly modified game for 50 euro is frikin too much. Only fully new game can be sold at that price, this is modified Saints Row 3 with new story and some stuff. City is the same so that was less work for them. Then why 50 euro, for what? Can't understand this, maybe because whole world and economy is fu... up, so they need to sellFirst, dudes back there can't be serious. Selling highly modified game for 50 euro is frikin too much. Only fully new game can be sold at that price, this is modified Saints Row 3 with new story and some stuff. City is the same so that was less work for them. Then why 50 euro, for what? Can't understand this, maybe because whole world and economy is fu... up, so they need to sell everything expensive with less and less production cost.
    So the game. Super powers abilities are very entertaining, story is embarrassing, music is golden, but after you finish story line and few side-quests, it get boring really quickly. Co-op might be a help, but don't bet on it.
    You have no more reason to use cars or any other vehicles, because of your superpowers, only 12-year old kids always use army helicopter and that flying-rocket kind of stuff, cause they scary to get down and do things hand to hand, you know what I'm talking about. Even on hard difficulty is game very easy, so I don't understand those players with pants full of sh.t who play it on medium and are constantly dying.
    I can say, I enjoyed playing this, but for 50 euro it was not enough. Give the game better price, you're asking too much for it, really. Not a bad game, but even not so brilliant, just over average I think.
  16. Sep 5, 2013
    Saints Row 4 is a complete rip-off of the Crackdown series. Run and jump like superman, shoot the bad guys (in this case aliens), collect the orbs (in this case data clusters). Come on. I only give it a 5 because of it's humor. I was utterly not impressed.
  17. Sep 5, 2013
    This game....my god this game, was something else. Let me start off by saying, if you came for a throwback and reliving the fun of Saints Row 1 and 2....get the hell out now. While this game gives a lot of good throwbacks to those games, it takes a completely new approach. Simply put...Saints Row 4, is the best super hero game out as of now. Pick it up if you like the thought of being butThis game....my god this game, was something else. Let me start off by saying, if you came for a throwback and reliving the fun of Saints Row 1 and 2....get the hell out now. While this game gives a lot of good throwbacks to those games, it takes a completely new approach. Simply put...Saints Row 4, is the best super hero game out as of now. Pick it up if you like the thought of being but if you came for gangster gameplay and old school taking over the city storyline, you'll be sick at this game. Fun...BUT, it betrays the genre it was born from, and takes a big on the whole gangster concept. Expand
  18. Sep 2, 2013
    Since it's set in the same city as SR3, there is no exploration aspect, plus with the superpowers (which had already been done in an SR3 expansion pack...), the game becomes much too easy.

It's fun to almost fly from building to building for a while, but wait for a very generous sale if you wish to buy the game.
  19. Aug 28, 2013
    Okay where to begin... Saints Row the third was a better game in the respect you felt you had to play the game even though it was easy on hard, you had to use vehicles to travel and you felt you had to upgrade them for a better experience, in this game however you don't even need to get into a car let alone a plane, your super powers means you can get across Steel port faster than anyOkay where to begin... Saints Row the third was a better game in the respect you felt you had to play the game even though it was easy on hard, you had to use vehicles to travel and you felt you had to upgrade them for a better experience, in this game however you don't even need to get into a car let alone a plane, your super powers means you can get across Steel port faster than any vehicle in the game.
    It's not GTA 5 and not aspiring to be GTA 5, look at it as a new game entirely or you won't enjoy it.

Saints Row 4 however feels just casual and easier than SR3.
    Also if you have a bad gaming rig this game is pretty heavy as far as FPS goes, I am not effected by this as i have a top banana machine and play this game on ULTRA.

Pros:
    1. Looks great if you can play it on ULTRA
    2. Very funny, probably the funniest I've played, you will laugh from start to end.
    3. Easy fun, the more they give you the easier it gets, hard is really not hard
    4. Storyline, you do find yourself getting sucked in especially if you have played the previous installments

Cons:

1. Superpowers, wish they did not add these they are fun but take away EVERYTHING the game used to be
    2. Easy to put down, you don't feel you need to or want to play it, i found myself going and playing something else
    3. Repetitive, there is a lot of missions but nothing new.
    4. EXPENSIVE!!! and boy you feel like you have paid to much for this game wait for it to be cheaper
    5. 0 realism, it's just a mash up of silliness and being truly bonkers
    6. It does feel like a reskin, the city is the same the engine is definitely the same it just feels the same with stupid attached

It's not the best game this year not even close, but it's a good laugh, very casual and if you're feeling down play this, it'll improve your mood. i like it, but i do not love it.

Look at it as something new not a GTA 5.
  20. Sep 4, 2013
    [Original Review: 8/25/13; Updated 9/5/13]
    What happens if you take:
    1 part super powers from Prototype, 1 part collection scheme from Crackdown/Infamous, 1 part crazy weapon collection from Ratchet & Clank, 1 part irreverent M-rated humor, and 1 part gratuitous violence? You get Saints Row 4 and therein lies the problem. The game is, at best, schizophrenic in terms of what it aims
    [Original Review: 8/25/13; Updated 9/5/13]
    What happens if you take:

You get Saints Row 4 and therein lies the problem. The game is, at best, schizophrenic in terms of what it aims to be. While it continues to be completely irreverent and crude, often making fun of pop culture and other games, it's lost a lot of what made Saints Row the "anti-GTA". Now it wants to be a super hero game, a mini games collection, and Saints Row without really committing to any of the styles.

Running around gathering clusters isn't nearly as enjoyable as orb gathering from Crackdown or shard gathering from inFamous, the free roaming city design is utterly destroyed by the ease of traversing the entire city using super jump and super speed, both of which can be maxxed out within only 2-3 hours of gameplay time.

It bears repeating that this was originally designed as a large DLC for Saints Row: The Third but ended up becoming a full game in and of itself. This is evident in the fact that Steelport hasn't changed except to add the new alien structures. The location of most events are in the same places as SR3, the models are the exact same, and the core gameplay is shorter.

How much shorter is this game compared to its predecessor? Well, when I completed the main story, I had finished all the activities, side quests, and targets and was sitting at 93% completion after only 14 and a half hours. I spent shy of an hour and a half finishing up gathering all the collectibles and doubling back to repeat two activities for gold medals and reached 100%. On hardcore, I had reached 100% completion in a third of the time spent on Saints Row The Third.

"Why is this game so short?", you may be asking. Well, frankly, they gutted a ton of activities that was in Saints Row The Third for this and streamlined the number of stores, as well. For example, the Saints Row standby missions of "Snatch", "Escort", and "Trafficking" missions are gone. The "Nobody Loves Me" clothing store is gone, and many stores have had their location numbers extremely reduced. "Genki Bowl", which had at least 7 different activities in Saints Row The Third, has been replaced with "Genki's Mind over Murder", which only has three (and two cameos of Genki Bowl as side missions). "Buying" properties has been changed into a hacking minigame that is annoying and tedious, not difficult. As for the activities themselves, other than one or two, anyone can get gold on them on the first try rather easily. "Insurance Fraud" which was one of the more challenging activities in SR3, has become laughably easy thanks to super sprint and the ragdoll mechanic (at one point, I had over a $1M combo, higher than needed for the gold medal).

Unfortunately, all the issues with the SR3 engine persist, and Deep Silver have even compounded some of the issues. The engine is even more poorly optimized than SR3 and slogs even on quality machines. The game is a buggy mess right now, with the initial release crashing and deleting game saves, and the patch "fixing" this issue causing even more problems such as the loss of weapons, cache, and vehicle/weapon upgrades.

All in all this is a very hurried cash in that, despite the humor, isn't worth the $50 price tag. It truly is nothing more than a quick 'expansion' of SR3 that is really only worth about $25. My sincere advice is to wait for a complete or GOTY version, then wait for THAT to go on Steam Sale before picking it up.
  21. Sep 9, 2013
    If you don't mind a completely absurd plot which is a copy-paste from pop culture icons liek the Matrix, than you will enjoy this title. If not, this will be just another clone of GTA and you should give a 6/10 instead of my 7.

It's not bad as some have stated here, it's just very specific and will not fit everybody.
  22. Sep 1, 2013
    Prototype 3, starring Nolan North as Neo.

The game is hilarious, fun, and a bit schizophrenic. It plays far more like Prototype than Saints Row, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. If you thought Saints Row 3 didn't take itself too seriously...this one is on a whole other level. Even on hardcore mode it's not that difficult, that's pretty much the only glaring flaw with it.
    Prototype 3, starring Nolan North as Neo.

Even on hardcore mode it's not that difficult, that's pretty much the only glaring flaw with it. There's also a few glitches like getting stuck in walls if you're slammed into them with a telekinetic blast, or enemies getting stuck in them if you slam someone into them with a telekinetic blast.

If the game was harder I'd give it a solid 9/10, if it was harder and the glitches were polished out I'd give it a 10/10.
  23. Aug 31, 2013
    Hell NO. This can't be called Saint's Row IV. It could be called Saint's Row The Third: Alien Expansion pack. And it should cost around 10 euors, NOT 60! This is not a new game, is just an heavy modified version of SRIII with aliens! Missions are boring, repetitive, the story is nice and the story missions are good, but i can't believe they sold this game as a new Saint's Row. Very disappointed.
  24. Sep 6, 2013
    Disappointed. A mutated Saints Row The Third, with bizarre main character twists. I was thinking in a 7 score but I have mixed feelings, more turning to bad, and for the yellow bar a 6 would be more fitting. Jeez I think I would stop believing in videogame sites reviews, they simply are more benevolent in some games just because the name lately than usual. Further more, very good games areDisappointed. A mutated Saints Row The Third, with bizarre main character twists. I was thinking in a 7 score but I have mixed feelings, more turning to bad, and for the yellow bar a 6 would be more fitting. Jeez I think I would stop believing in videogame sites reviews, they simply are more benevolent in some games just because the name lately than usual. Further more, very good games are underrated, buy I would prefer not to mention names. I'm disappointed with this one. I have to mention that I haven't played the first ones, only the third and I liked it, very. I have heard that the third was a mimic from the others. I cant tell haven't checked that just yet, but I will base my review on the Third. This game is actually the Third but mutated as mentioned before. And is not the classic GTA style, just morphed into a Prototype so I've heard maybe a Infamous one, a little bit. The city is actually the same, all is actually the same with very little modifications to worst. it's like imagine an ad from the third now imagine the ad with an ugly face. Bad. I don't know if this going to change further ahead in the game but the result is the same. Your character is more like a superhero that a successful gang leader or so. So like a superhero, you don't need more the use of a car and so on. This is not like isn't fun but; for the ones who liked the first releases, this is a complete letdown. In fact this 4th installment was released soo early. In fact feels more like an ad-on, that a new release. Maybe that was the first goal, and Volition just change of company or I heard so, that the result is bad. Well to be sincere, is not like is a bad game but neither a good one, just an average, what is lame for a successful franchise(or, it was?) This reminds me that there's a phrase to mention for the hyperactive people who always want to improve what doesn't need to be improved: If isn't broken, Don't fix it!
    But what is broken? Saints Row just need better graphics, a little more of everything like a working subway a completely new big and different city, even the most simple solution like, only just imaging(is not like I have seen this before...) if they like variety why don't they just release a new Saint Row with a 50-60s atmosphere? All that with the crazy humor and everything so peculiar of the Saints. I would certainly cheer and like that, meanwhile look like the Saints are on the road to hell like Tomb Raider, Hitman ,Resident Evil and the list goes on ,I hope that Volition reconsider it for them and or us for he next gen of videogames PS4,Xbox One, PC and retake the path, and don't see another weird mutation next time.
  25. Aug 24, 2013
    This would be an OK game at $20-30 at time of release. I have found the experience to be undeniably fun, although short lived and cheap. On normal difficulty I had 100% completion in about 20 hours, which in my opinion is not worth the fifty dollar price.
    The strongest, or most interesting, mechanic in this game is probably the addition of superpowers in a sandbox-type environment, which leads to a lot of goofing around. Navigating the city by running around faster than cars and jumping over buildings was still as enjoyable at the twentieth hour of gameplay as it was during the first. However, the implementation of superpowers feels only skin deep and points a big spotlight on the lack of work put in by the developers. Now, most likely this wasn't entirely the developers' fault, but rather a decision made by the publisher to upgrade from an expansion pack/DLC (that this game was originally meant to be) to a full game.
    Why is the implementation of superpowers so shallow? For one, the starting offensive superpower, the freeze blast, is the one that you will probably use 95% of the time in combat. Bad guys appear. You freeze them, which makes most enemies one hit kills, stops them from dealing damage to you, and breaks any special attacks that tougher enemies might be planning to unleash on you. Occasionally, the game will force you to change powers for some specific task, like a special game mode/activity, but there is no fluidity to using different powers in combat. What I would expect from a game with so many superpowers and ways to customize them is some sort of "rock-paper-scissor" mechanic or a chain/combo mechanic where you "start off with one of these, then give 'em one of these, and give 'em two of those for good measure" all while peppering them with small arms fire. Instead, you drop in on your enemies unannounced, push the "I win" button(Q by default), shoot the survivors, and you're off on your next adventure. Nothing but a quick disposable thrill, just tie it and throw it in the trash.
    Now this game isn't serious, nor did I expect it to be (it is Saints Row after all), but you quickly run out of ways to goof around. There is only so many unique things that you can do. And I'm not talking about "activities" or the mini-games, which you'll just breeze through anyway (and enjoyably, at least for me), but I've found the sandbox experience rather limited. Your gang is essentially useless, since you're a one man army. The game sticks you into a sandbox, but all the sand is dry and your tools are useless; so the only thing that you can really build is a big dune.
    Despite everything I've said, Saints Row IV is not a bad game. You will probably enjoy playing it, but don't expect the feeling of a full game. For a 20 hour long experience, the material presents itself ok, throws a few decent punch lines your way, metaphorically speaking, and leaves before it overstays its welcome. It's just not worth the ticket price. Just a publisher looking to cash in on some recently bought intellectual property.
  26. Aug 22, 2013
    I just don't know it. I really liked SR III, it's probably my favorite game in a long time. And they kept the graphics and most of the animations from that game. But I don't know about the story.. It's unrealistic which I really like about Saints Row, and there are some funny parts. But in general it's "Meh..." The powers are unnecessary IMHO. It would be a great game without them.

In

In my eyes, it's just an Expension Pack, priced as a whole new game. It's definitely not a new game. If you liked SR III like I did, you'll like it but since it's a new game you won't be too impressed by it.
    If you hated SR III, you'll hate this game too. Because it's the same game.

6/10. They could've done a little more effort on the story, and maybe update the graphics and animations.
  27. Aug 22, 2013
    This game is great. It improves on nearly everything from Saints Row: The Third. It has everything you would want in a game: great story, great graphics, and loads of fun.
  28. Aug 25, 2013
    It's still not Saints Row 2 in terms of story, but it's still pretty fun. The game play is addicting although extremely easy. You'll find yourself playing the game more like Prototype once you get your first set of super powers. Driving is pretty much useless in this game because of the superpowers so they're more like props. A cool feature that lets you save any car you drive and haveIt's still not Saints Row 2 in terms of story, but it's still pretty fun. The game play is addicting although extremely easy. You'll find yourself playing the game more like Prototype once you get your first set of super powers. Driving is pretty much useless in this game because of the superpowers so they're more like props. A cool feature that lets you save any car you drive and have them recalled instantly is made useless very very early in the game. Really the game's saving grace is the fact that the humor had me rolling throughout, and the game eventually goes over the entire SR story line in some way. So it's definitely fun and worth playing, but not worth owning. Expand
  29. Sep 5, 2013
    If they would've focused on creating a better multiplayer experience, they would of had much better critical acclaim. That and the combat is sort of bland.. Sure there's some funny weapons, but Sleeping Dogs to me is the runner up to the GTA series as far as the contemporary single player open world experience genre is concerned.
  30. Aug 26, 2013
    Strange how a brand new 45 euro game can look like a DLC...

Strange how a brand new 45 euro game can look like a DLC...

Saints Row IV is basically Saints Row III with a strange story, superpowers, and aliens thrown in. Same city, a lot of the same weapons, same gangs and NPC's. Still, part III was extremely fun, and having superpowers is fun (even if it's a rip-off from Prototype, a lot of the game seems "borrowed from other games...) so it's worth a go, just not for 45 euros...
  31. Sep 7, 2013
    Boooooooring, That's what I am thinking about SR4. Boring tale. Aliens destroying Earth? How unexpected! Developers didn't think about game, I guess. No, we have some nice ideas, like dubstep gun and 50's town. But all this hints about Matrix, Prototype, Portal and etc I think it's funny first one, may be two ours. The same town, that was in SR3, awful battles with boring shooters.Boooooooring, That's what I am thinking about SR4. Boring tale. Aliens destroying Earth? How unexpected! Developers didn't think about game, I guess. No, we have some nice ideas, like dubstep gun and 50's town. But all this hints about Matrix, Prototype, Portal and etc I think it's funny first one, may be two ours. The same town, that was in SR3, awful battles with boring shooters. On-type missions. 5/10. Saint's Row 3 are the best.

P.S. Why you put pixels on and holes, if the game have rating 18+?
  32. Aug 29, 2013
    Really good job by the Saints Row guys but definitely could have had more content. They built this game directly off of Saints Row 3, it was originally being created as DLC, and I got 100% before I hit 40 hours of play, and I afk a lot. Thats less than half the time I put into SR3, and they didnt even have to put half as much work into development. Should have been much cheaper and calledReally good job by the Saints Row guys but definitely could have had more content. They built this game directly off of Saints Row 3, it was originally being created as DLC, and I got 100% before I hit 40 hours of play, and I afk a lot. Thats less than half the time I put into SR3, and they didnt even have to put half as much work into development. Should have been much cheaper and called Saints Row 3.5. Expand
  33. Oct 21, 2013
    To be honest this game was ok, but i think it should have stayed as a dlc not a whole new game! This game is just saints row the third with superpowers, this means there is no need for cars because you can just fly! Its fun if you have never played a saints row game before but for people who have it just adds superpowers!
  34. Nov 3, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Generally enjoyable, but despite the superhero theme, mechanically if felt like a retread of Saints Row III. The story also felt like an excuse to string together a bunch of missions that would have been side missions in previous Saints Row games. I kept waiting for a twist or dramatic reveal at the end, which never really happened. I realise people don't play Saints Row III and IV for the plot, but they could have done something better,

In addition I really missed the radio stations that were cut. This is the first Saints Row game I played with the music off. I really enjoyed hijacking a car in the previous games and listening to a random stations. With the limited stations with limited music, that's no fun any more. Also I really didn't like the changes to the interface, I really thought that Saints Row 3 in particular had a brilliant thing going with the smart phone interface to the game menus.

Overall, good mindless fun, but if you want that, IMHO, you are might as well get Saints Row III. If you enjoyed the other saints row games, you might as well get it, but If you are new, get Saints Row III.
  35. Aug 31, 2013
    This game is ok but I just don't feel it should be labled part of the saints row franchise its just way to out there. Other than that its well made, and alot of blood and sweat was shown to be put into the quality of the game.
  36. Aug 25, 2013
    THIS GAME SUCKS! THIS GAME IS TOO EASY!! BUT I LIKE THE POWERS THOUGH AND THE GRAPHICS iS AMAZING! BUT I LIKE THE old SAINT ROW! THE GANGSTERS AND SAINTS ROW 4 IS POLITICAL!? WTF! AND ALIENS! THEY BROKE THE FRANCHISE!! FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC!
  37. Aug 23, 2013
    Kinda liking Saints Row IV.... It's a nice, fun murderfest. Great for just having a bit of casual fun. This is all the positive I can really say for it. For me, the pro's outweigh the extensive con's... but only just.

SR 4 isn't really a sequel to the series at all. It's really just SR 3 with a map reskin and some "matrix assassins creed" style story elements bolted on, with superpowers, which are very "marmite" in appeal. It's the same engine, same map, slightly expanded range of vehicles and clothes and that's about it.

Considering it looks like it is nothing more than a reskin with a few extra bits, it does suffer from more than its fair share of launch day bugs. You'll want to backup your saves (as they get corrupted on pc a lot) and save often having a superpower ram you "inside" a building mesh unable to escape is pretty sucky, and being as the games all about the super powers, it's going to happen a lot insert gripe about lazy coding, and not validating your meshes properly here) There's also a known problem where having a poor frame rate can actually prevent players from completing one of the very early missions (google for discussions on the mission "The Real World" if you need to look it up or have any concerns.) Fortunately with my rig, I wasnt affected, but I can only imagine how much it must suck to have to deliberately stick a game like this, with a 3-4 yr old engine (if not older) in to "low detail" mode just to complete a section..

For new players to the series, check out SR2 (generally regarded by most as the one with the better plot) or SR3 (negligable plot, muchy more "silly" but at present far larger and more "realistic") first. For undecided players returning to the franchise, avoid if you hated SR3, or wait till its on special if you liked it, as it's really not big enough to qualify for most as a full game.

After condemning THQ for a lot of decisions regarding DLC, Deep Silver/Volition have hypocritically launched with a zero day DLC pack, and a pay to use cheat pack, which seems to indicate they plan on using SR4 as another vehicle for making an easy buck on DLC.

There is also an issue regarding censorship of the Australian version. In DS/V's defence, this was a decision made to actually permit them to release the game in that territory, as Aus law's would have prevented its publication there with some of its content left untouched, but I'll leave the debate on that one to the extensive community groups already discussing it.

Players will also find that a couple of much loved characters will not show up... apparently silently removed from the franchise as DS/V had felt pressured by THQ in SR3 to work with a former porn star as a voice acting talent, who, now THQ are no more, DS/V have decided to ditch rather than recast.

Another issue is that the dev's have stated that SR5 is in the pipeline and going to be very different to the current storyline you've experienced from SR3 and into SR4, which, without wanting to spoiler alert you, does draw to a conclusion. Given the recycled engine and assets, and the fact that SR4 was originally built to be nothing more than an SR3 expansion pack anyway, you can't help but feel that SR4 was just a hastily cobbled together "filler" for the series whilst they work on the real "new" title, SR5.

The biggest issue for me though, which has really impeded my enjoyment, even beyond reloading saves to escape dodgy building meshes, was the apparent decision to drop the russian accented voice acting on the default "Female 2" voice and replace it with a french voice actor instead.

I know its not a big thing, but I loved playing a female psychotic russian mass murderer in the earlier games, and feel like the new french voice was tacked on as some kind of "we need to have a generic foreign sounding voice in there somewhere"

Despite all that, as I said, I'm enjoying it more than enough to stick with it. Running up walls is cool, even if the game over uses it, and grants it way too early. The new stuff is fun to play around with, and whilst we have lost all the old gang rivalries that drove the previous titles, it is kind of fun to have a generic bad guy to hand the smack down to over and over again. I just wish it didn't feel so much like SR3 with cheat mode enabled.
  38. Aug 25, 2013
    Saints Row 4 is basically Saints Row 3 with cheat codes (ie Superpowers). It is the exact same city, same quests, same characters, and same level of ridiculousness.

The two things that are different are that A) now you have superpowers; and B) it is surprisingly less sexy. If you liked SR3, this is just a "$50 quest addon pack." But as a stand alone game if you've never played Saints Row before it's a great game that is fun, silly, and a bit over the top at times.
  39. Aug 23, 2013
    This game is generally just Saints Row the Third with a new coat of paint. Which isn't necessarily bad, it just doesn't feel fresh. The city seems less grand, and with that the mayhem you can bring just doesn't seem as heavy.

The writing in this game is great, though some of the reference jokes are overdone. There also doesn't seem to be as great of character interaction in this as in the previous games.

The weapons are more or less the same with some extra fun ones in the mix, such as the infamous "Dubstep gun". Though while in the previous games, you'd find a time to use each of your weapons, this game you easily find yourself ignoring the weaker firearms.

All of these downsides are tied to the big feature/setting of the game: You're in a simulated reality and have superpowers. Everything else that makes the game Saints Row takes a backseat to this, and shifts the game more from GTA to Prototype. Your super speed and jumping powers have you questioning why you would carjack anybody. Your offensive powers take a big role in your path of destruction, with a lot of your explosive/special weapons not requiring ammo and just use them in place of your conventional firearms.
    No mistake, it's fun, but it sacrifices the original fun of Saints Row in the process. I don't like the concept of being in a personal Matrix. I don't like doing missions by myself just because my crew mates aren't using hacks to be in god-mode. I don't like forcing myself to use a SMG because I'm getting tired of instantly killing everything with a absurd artillery piece made out of 5 other absurd artillery pieces.

In the end, it's about the challenge. Saints Row had never been stellar in this department, but super powers have basically knocked down any difficulty choice you make to "I can freeze and shatter everybody on this city block". The game isn't about fighting to overcome a powerful obstacle, it's about being the powerful obstacle that has no equal.

Again, make no mistake, the game is fun, like a game should be. You just might want to hold off on this if you were hoping for the goofy GTA clone you're used to.
  40. Aug 29, 2013
    I have only played Saints 3 and 4, so I cannot comment on this series as a whole. I want to say that player choice is really what this game is about, but the main story and the quests are linear.

I should say that it is open world. Do I want to randomly kill people today? Do I want to run fast? Do I want to play a text adventure? Do I want to fly around the city just exploring? I can do all of whenever I want to.

After enjoying the 3rd game, I somehow thought the 4th would be different.. but in many core ways its the same game. That was disappointing.

PROS:

Play as female!
    Fully customize your character
    Glimmer of hope for future romances
    Can't play this game without a smile on your face.

CONS:

Too similar to the previous game
    Side quests are crazy repetitive
  41. Aug 21, 2013
    As others have mentioned, don't take Saint's Row IV too seriously. With that said, I started this game after just completing Saint's Row: The Third and there are somethings that are the same and many things that are different. I was especially interested in how the main character became President of the United States. This is something that was never explained in the game. BecomingAs others have mentioned, don't take Saint's Row IV too seriously. With that said, I started this game after just completing Saint's Row: The Third and there are somethings that are the same and many things that are different. I was especially interested in how the main character became President of the United States. This is something that was never explained in the game. Becoming President seems a little out of place for "Boss" (based on previous games) and I wanted to know what drove the character to make such a move. The game plays like it's predecessor with a weird mix of The Matrix, Infamous/Prototype, and Mass Effect. Most of the action takes place in a Matrix-like simulation which in-turn gives the players superpowers and free roaming ability of Infamous/Prototype. Since there are no safe houses, you interact with your crew on a spaceship and do loyalty missions for them (you can also "romance" them) which is borrowed from the Mass Effect series. Gone are the street gangs battling for turf of Steelport and this was a bit of a let down for me. I liked the gang action/battles of the previous games. While using superpowers, you will rarely find yourself using a car or any other means of transportation to navigate Steelport which has virtually been unchanged from the previous game. What makes this game great is the over the top action but still leaves you wanting more of what the previous games had to offer. When you are in the Matrix-like simulation you have access to four different core powers (which then branches off into other powers). When you do missions out of the simulation, the superpowers are removed although some missions still take place in a simulation (which makes no sense). Long time fans will especially enjoy ONE mission where you revisit Steelwater and you have to deal with old rivals The Vice Kings. This game has DEFINITELY set itself apart from Grand Theft Auto so now the two franchises are worlds apart (literally). Saints Row IV plays more like an extended DLC pack than a standalone game. Expand
  42. Sep 2, 2013
    the idea is actually really good where you can have fun with your superpowers kicking zin's asses
    but as the game goes on it gets pretty repetitive and annoying
    mission like disable 3 generators used again and again
    and your superpower like super sprint can get really annoying if maxed because you're just moving too fast lol
  43. Aug 22, 2013
    If you have never played Saints Row: The Third, play it first then get this game after price cut. It is not that SRIV is not an enjoyable game, it is extremely fun, but it is primarily a generic 'superhero in a city' game. The story missions are over the top as usual, but there is no graphic or special upgrades over 3. Plus the city is not designed for superpowers like the super jump (asIf you have never played Saints Row: The Third, play it first then get this game after price cut. It is not that SRIV is not an enjoyable game, it is extremely fun, but it is primarily a generic 'superhero in a city' game. The story missions are over the top as usual, but there is no graphic or special upgrades over 3. Plus the city is not designed for superpowers like the super jump (as it is the same city from 3) and you land in awkward places a lot. The best part about GTAs and earlier SRs was the exploration. There is none of that in this game. PLAY 3 FIRST, then get this game later on the cheap. Expand
  44. Sep 20, 2013
    Just like I bought Saints Row while I was waiting for GTA IV, I bought this whilst waiting for GTA V. I actually didn't like the first game. It was full of cliches and the comedy wasn't strong enough to carry it. The main character didn't have any flaws and was incredibly dull and it was just a poor man's GTA.

I was a little more interested in this because they've really gone out of

I was a little more interested in this because they've really gone out of their way to give Saints Row it's own identity with absurd humour, strong voice acting and ludicrous weapons and super powers. Funnily enough, the addition of super powers compared to Saints Row III is actually enough improvement to make it quite good. The fact that the physics are pretty bad, the mini games are shallow and get old quickly, and the visuals are pretty ugly means that I have to give this game a 7. GTA V is so much better in every conceivable way. Plot, writing, setting, art direction, graphical fidelity, audio, gameplay. The physics and the way cars handle in that game are phenomenal and really make Saints Row look cheap. Not to mention the huge improvements in the procedural animations since GTA IV.

Basically. Buy a console and buy GTA V instead of this. It really is worth it.
  45. Aug 30, 2013
    It's still a good game, a kind of virtual frustration ventilator, much alike its predecessor, with a few twists and mechanics thrown into the mix to simulate a "fresh" gameplay experience, and that's kind of cheap but not necessarily a bad thing. The saints games have always been about excess and nowhere is that more clear than in SR4. It can't really boast with a fable to go with all theIt's still a good game, a kind of virtual frustration ventilator, much alike its predecessor, with a few twists and mechanics thrown into the mix to simulate a "fresh" gameplay experience, and that's kind of cheap but not necessarily a bad thing. The saints games have always been about excess and nowhere is that more clear than in SR4. It can't really boast with a fable to go with all the nonsensically over the top action and there there is a small possibility that you might be offended by it's lack of "saintness", but if you take it for what it is, you might have a good time regardless. Personally, i like it. But i liked SR3 better. Expand
  46. May 9, 2015
    Prior to its release, a lot of the previews made the game look like a reskin or DLC for Saints Row 3. I held out hope that the devs were going to expand beyond expectations considering all the wacky aliens, superpowers, and ridiculous weapons they were adding. Instead what we got was essentially Saints Row 3.5: a big & stupid Michael Bay sequel that feels like a really long add-on to SR3.Prior to its release, a lot of the previews made the game look like a reskin or DLC for Saints Row 3. I held out hope that the devs were going to expand beyond expectations considering all the wacky aliens, superpowers, and ridiculous weapons they were adding. Instead what we got was essentially Saints Row 3.5: a big & stupid Michael Bay sequel that feels like a really long add-on to SR3.

SR 2 & 3 had some restraint and at least attempted to build up to their big action sequences. SR4 starts off with a bang and never stops in the worst way possible. The only thing that breaks up the action sequences are a few comedic moments and nostalgia pandering scenes but even these manage to go over-the-top. Seriously, who has played SR1 and why is so much of this game wasted on referencing it? Many of the rest breaks I took while playing this were just to detox from the Michael Bay-ness of everything; I love blowing up spaceships as much as everyone else, but there's a point in time where you just want to walk through the city and beat pedestrials with a giant ♥♥♥♥♥. Much of the game feels like you are forced to take the most explosive route possible through everything; I really wish there was an ability toggle button because simply bumping into pedestrians or vehicles while super sprinting will have the police shooting lasers at you for miles. The majority of this game feels like action for the sake of action with most of it feeling unrewarding and boring at times.

Adding to the rushed feeling of SR4, much of the game doesn't feel playtested. For example, Explosive Blast's chain reaction will kill whole flashpoints with a single fireball from any distance, while the Buff ability feels like a joke considering how late in the game you get it. Weapons have plenty of issues too; some weapons are completely useless unless you are handed them for a mission (obligatory useless sniper rifle, Alien SMG, Dubstep Gun, etc.) while others slaughter everything unupgraded (Disintegrator, 'Merica, etc.). I found myself using garbage weapons or abilities just to complete in-game challenges because otherwise I would've just used Blast & the Thump Gun for everything.

The storyline feels really slapped together too. Why bother with more simulation exploits when you have a suit of giant power armor in the real world? Everytime something cool happens in the real world it feels like the game drops an arbitrary hurdle for you to overcome inside the simulation. The whole in-out-in-out just feels like padding and an excuse to turn off superpowers for missions, especially considering your Health upgrades carry over into the real world. I really would've enjoyed more time spent in the real world... Perhaps the first part of the game inside the simulation with all the ridiculous superpowers and the second half in the real world, fighting Zinyak on his own turf? Overall it just feels like a missed chance simply because the devs wanted to recycle as much as possible.

So is SR4 just extended DLC for SR3? Yes, but really, really long DLC. I feel like they stretched SR3's assets as far as they could go and whipped together some quick alien tech from recycled STAG parts. People might try to draw conclusions between this and GTA 3 vs. VC & SA, but those were completely new environments, characters, vehicles, and so forth. SR4 manages to even reuse 3's map despite Earth being destroyed (whoops spoilers!)!

Should you bother playing SR4? If you've played any of the previous games, you will find something familiar here. If you are new to the series, don't expect "GTA With Aliens" because this is the most bombastic Saints Row yet. I enjoyed this but it would be my least favorite Saints Row if SR2's PC port wasn't garbage. I recommend giving it a shot but 2 and 3 are clearly better games.
  47. Jan 4, 2014
    First, this really is not my type of game. The low score reflects that fact. Now thats said this is the first GOOD console port of this type of game I have seen. As PC user I was happy to find it supported my PC properly. Only the checkpoint save system was annoying because the save did not save your current position as a PC user would have expected. The game play is amusing, butFirst, this really is not my type of game. The low score reflects that fact. Now thats said this is the first GOOD console port of this type of game I have seen. As PC user I was happy to find it supported my PC properly. Only the checkpoint save system was annoying because the save did not save your current position as a PC user would have expected. The game play is amusing, but repetitive at times. The open ended world involves going around doing missions basically. Nice idea but not terribly interesting for gamers used to more involving games. Still if you like GTA style games, this is probably one of the best ports to the PC. The 5 score reflects my interest in this type of game more than the quality of the game. Its just not my thing. Expand
  48. Sep 16, 2013
    This game is Average: it feels like a expansion, same game only upped slightly in terms of UI and graphics, its not a new game on its own.
    Having super powers makes vehicles and upgrades useless, as well as your backup unable to keep up with you.
  49. Nov 9, 2013
    Funny. Some enjoyable moments and a good soundtrack. The missions however do become boring afer a while (go kill enemies zzz). Feels empty I think
  50. Dec 2, 2013
    While this is a fun game to play it doesn't have that drive in it that lets you play it for hours, i recently bought it and after 2.9 hr i really had enough of it.
  51. Dec 27, 2013
    even though SR4 isn't a very original game and it feels like the developers mashed a bunch of ideas together without thinking it through (ex. super powers make the driving useless and fighting enemies too easy), i still think SR4 is a very enjoyable game. the writing is pretty immature but it had me smiling all the way through because of how ridiculous it can get at times (ex. fighting aeven though SR4 isn't a very original game and it feels like the developers mashed a bunch of ideas together without thinking it through (ex. super powers make the driving useless and fighting enemies too easy), i still think SR4 is a very enjoyable game. the writing is pretty immature but it had me smiling all the way through because of how ridiculous it can get at times (ex. fighting a monster sports drink with this game's statue of liberty equivalent, the romance conversations, etc...) and the games loveable cast of characters. the super powers and upgrades are really awesome to use and the super sprint and jump make traveling back and forth across the game world fun and quick (unlike gta 4 & 5, where traveling from point to point is long and boring). the game also has tons of activities and collectables so it'll take you a long time before you run out of things to do. Expand
  52. Feb 16, 2015
    First of all, failed to remap the right mouse button, so ended up using the gamepad to play for best. Has key remapping issues.

Puzzle-hacking to gain use of those store is a bad joke. The more I look at this, more likely it's for kids, but too much hassle to play puzzle game with time limit applied. Fraud is not easy so far, waste more time to master, why it's easy in SR The Third

Fraud is not easy so far, waste more time to master, why it's easy in SR The Third and not in this one? Have I forgot how to?

Upgraded weapon can't downgrade for free, can't downgrade any of them at all once you upgraded.
    Why would you do this? Where's all the sense of humor?! Why so serious?!!

More confusing and need more brain powers to understand the new system, kids will hate it. But more console favoured for gamepad as difficulty has been lowered. Just hate those button mashing moments!

Best of all you can kill all those cops (aliens) to rid all the wanted levels, since you're superhuman!

Playing virtual game inside this game, so no matter how "real world" this is you're still playing a game. It's like you've woke up into another dream.
  53. Oct 31, 2013
    An interesting twist on SR3 take the exact same game with the exact same maps, and turn it into The Matrix.

Heavy on the Matrix story, heavy on the Tron: Legacy visuals, and unfortunately, heavy on crashes this thing leaves me on load screens quite a lot. It's really a lot of fun to play when it's working, but a solid -2 for the crash frequency.
  54. May 23, 2014
    Unbelievably stupid and unbelievably fun. The game parodies not only itself but other video games. The game's essentially Saints Row 3 with super powers which is both a good and a bad thing. The good, the game's on a juvenile stupid level of humor and gives nods to references a lot. The super powers feel great and are easy to control and dish out punishment. The best thing about theUnbelievably stupid and unbelievably fun. The game parodies not only itself but other video games. The game's essentially Saints Row 3 with super powers which is both a good and a bad thing. The good, the game's on a juvenile stupid level of humor and gives nods to references a lot. The super powers feel great and are easy to control and dish out punishment. The best thing about the game though is just how unpredictable it is, going into any story mission you literally have no idea what is about to happen.

The bad well, a lot of assets feel borrowed from Saints Row 3, the radio stations; save for the Mix station are total **** There's no Adult Swim station, miss you John :*(. The game literally would be better off marketed as an expansion pack than a full blown sequel, so much is reused that its' hard to justify spending $40 for a game if it doesn't feel like a full blown $40 game. Another problem is the developers used messed up ways to stretch out the game. One of the major examples are, "Clusters." Clusters allow your PC to develop their super powers and level them up, this wouldn't be a major problem unless there weren't 1,250 spread out over the whole city. Literally starting out you'll go mission to mission picking up every stupid cluster; going, "OOOH PIECE O' CANDY! OOOOH PIECE O' CANDY!" which pretty much defeats the whole purpose of "super," speed or "super," jump. After a while you literally go OCD, such as I, and just pick as many clusters up as you can before the next mission just so it won't ruin the flow of the game.

I know my cons of the game are much longer than pros, but where the game shines, it shines. Its' ridiculously over the top and as cheesy as a video game can be. It never takes itself seriously and caters to my A.D.D. It gets to the action and gets to it immediately. The game's developers took some obvious paths to stretch out the gameplay; clusters and homie side quests, but all in all its' a great thrill ride. The humor, gameplay and characters all add up to a fun game and to me that's all that matters. I wouldn't pay $40 for the game, I paid $13 for the game+the season pack DLC and feel I got my money's worth. Between the base game+dlc it took 23 hours to beat.
  55. Aug 8, 2016
    Yes. So this is Saints Row the Third, just with a new story. No new content whatsoever - same map, same cars, same clothes. Maybe a couple new weapons.

However, i loved Saints Row 3, and i really enjoyed Saints Row 4 for the same reasons i enjoyed its predecessor - humor, lightness, action-packed (although those racing and jumping missions are a major pain in the butt - annoying!) gameplay, hilarious character, and a parody of a story.

So if you liked SR3 and want to play more of it - SR4 is for you. Just don't expect anything new.
    Seriously.
  56. Dec 4, 2014
    The gameplay is overall improved from The Third. However, the addition of superpowers and ridiculous weapons makes the game trivial. Vehicles are now useless and you will never use them unless a mission mandates them. There's also less content in IV. You have main missions which will last you ~4 hours to finish as well as some loyalty missions for each homie. Every other side mission isThe gameplay is overall improved from The Third. However, the addition of superpowers and ridiculous weapons makes the game trivial. Vehicles are now useless and you will never use them unless a mission mandates them. There's also less content in IV. You have main missions which will last you ~4 hours to finish as well as some loyalty missions for each homie. Every other side mission is just something that tells you go to do activities. They try to add content by putting over 1,000 collectibles throughout the world but these are utterly boring to find. I enjoyed it, but i can't say i am looking forward to any more iterations in the series. Expand
  57. Oct 31, 2013
    This game is pretty good. And when I say "pretty good" I mean "entertaining". It's better than Saints Row 3, at least. This installment certainly feels less rushed than its predecessor.

However, it still suffers from a god complex. You irreversibly become massively overpowered if you accidentally click the wrong stuff. Not at one point did the game feel like a real challenge. How could anyone die with infinite nuke explosions, 75% damage reduction, and the ability to rush out of battle whenever you felt like it? And no, this doesn't happen at the end of the story as a Sandbox element. It happens right in the beginning.

The story is reasonable compared to SR3, but it clings on to Saints Row 1 and 2 too much. Yes, we get it, those were wonderful games. Stop trying to evoke feelings of nostalgia. Not only is this a slap in the face for all you peasants who never played the original two games, it also feels lazy.

The gameplay was pretty good, though. Definitely not bad. Too bad the game is still so damn short. You power through ALL of the game's content in maybe 20 hours, which is certainly not what I would expect from a Saints Row game.

It's a good game, but a terrible Saints Row game. I still weep over how anything like this could have happened after Saints Row 2. Why did they go so over the top with SR3 and SR4? We'll never know.

I give the gameplay an 8, but the story a 4. Volition, please stop with this over-the-top nonsense and get back down from that over-the-top-of-Mount-Everest.
  58. Sep 19, 2013
    Talk about a copy and paste this game is good but its just a plain rip-off of Prototype with better graphics and just a different story this game is not a bad game by any means but this game just feels like a $60 DLC because of extremely boring story and characters also the sex is just off the charts in this game offensive weapons anal sex probe yeah I am not joking its legit also theTalk about a copy and paste this game is good but its just a plain rip-off of Prototype with better graphics and just a different story this game is not a bad game by any means but this game just feels like a $60 DLC because of extremely boring story and characters also the sex is just off the charts in this game offensive weapons anal sex probe yeah I am not joking its legit also the weapons are just really weird some of them are cool and creative but the overall gameplay is just boring once you get your super powers it becomes more interesting but the game overall is just a sexy version of Prototype Expand
  59. Oct 9, 2013
    Saints Row IV is brash, its crude and immature, and yet it is also memorable. I can't begrudge a game that has moments that make me want to keep playing to see what other insanity or nostalgia fueled trip it will take me on next. Sadly, these don't always happen and by the end I got the distinct feeling they had spent all their ammo and were just stretching out the end for a few moreSaints Row IV is brash, its crude and immature, and yet it is also memorable. I can't begrudge a game that has moments that make me want to keep playing to see what other insanity or nostalgia fueled trip it will take me on next. Sadly, these don't always happen and by the end I got the distinct feeling they had spent all their ammo and were just stretching out the end for a few more hours. Story progression aside this game is one that sticks with you for a while and has so much potential for simple mindless fun from the over-the-top guns to the insane powers. Not much else to say, the story is more "as it comes" and combat is nothing to write home about, but when it is all taken in it is a less serious Prototype that likes to mess around in just about everything it can.Staying power is limited and just as the insanity draws you in it starts to wear off but while the momentum is up it is one hell of a ride. Expand
  60. Oct 10, 2013
    Mediocre graphics
    Very good soundtrack (for my taste at least)
    The hilarity of the lame story The game is good, not outstanding but it's certainly entertaining and funny, plus there are some critics to society and governments for those who get to catch them. Also, there's a dubstep gun. A f***ing DUBSTEP GUN. That is probably the most hilarious weapon created in the recent years, its
    Mediocre graphics
    Very good soundtrack (for my taste at least)
    The hilarity of the lame story

Also, there's a dubstep gun. A f***ing DUBSTEP GUN. That is probably the most hilarious weapon created in the recent years, its really funny.

Bad things in this game are the super powers, I think powers ruined the game in a way (I liked SR3 way more) like driving any vehicle becomes a dumb idea 'cause you can just run and fly all the your way, I don't know I think powers took away more from the game than they added.
    And also the secondary missions, boring and dumb.

The game is decent and funny anyway, just don't expect anything super mega awesome (except for the dubstep gun)
  61. Nov 2, 2013
    Since completing Saints Row IV, I must revise my original review. My first impression was that it didn’t feel like a new game, rather an extensive mod/DLC for SR3. I was originally of this opinion as most of the assets had been recycled, with the same player models/costumes. Also, the city was almost exactly the same, completely reused with the addition of alien towers and various otherSince completing Saints Row IV, I must revise my original review. My first impression was that it didn’t feel like a new game, rather an extensive mod/DLC for SR3. I was originally of this opinion as most of the assets had been recycled, with the same player models/costumes. Also, the city was almost exactly the same, completely reused with the addition of alien towers and various other structures scattered around the map, with the main distinction being the hue of the lighting.

Despite this, the gameplay undergoes significant changes as the game progresses. At first the changes simply feel like basic console value modifications, which led me to my initial conclusions about the game. However, as the game progresses the style of play is completely morphed into something very different. Because of this, there is more change in gameplay than most games make between sequels.

Saint Row IV continues the super-zany style of SR3, even managing to be more zany than ever before. The storyline continues from the end of SR3, you have been elected The President of USA. Suddenly aliens attack earth where they put you in what can only be described as The Matrix. In this digital version of the city of Saints Row, you start finding software glitches which you use to hack the system in order to give you superpowers.

This game features imho the best game soundtrack of the year with a variation from old vocal classics though to rap and dubstep. The music also manages to avoid becoming stagnant in the way the tracks are placed in the game with the very distinctive songs played for the most part in specific missions. Whereas the radio tracks for general gameplay are more generic songs that more easily fade into the background. In this way I didn’t get any music annoyingly ‘stuck in my head’.

Also, as I’m not a story-oriented gamer, I feel that the ending cut-scene in the game is the best ending to a game I have seen maybe ever. Not to give anything away but I’ve never seen 3D animation of this calibre, especially not in a game.

SR4 is a rather enjoyable experience all round. If you are a fan of the series, I would recommend picking it up, because if given half a chance you won’t be disappointed. If you’re unfamiliar with the series, I would recommend picking up SR3 before giving it a shot, and perhaps waiting until it is discounted.
  62. Dec 12, 2013
    Only two hours in and I had this gnawing feeling it felt like a big DLC kind of thing. Come to metacritic and find out I'm not the only one.

So far, SR4 feels like a game with all the whacky bonus modes unlocked. The kind that are fun to screw around with for a few hours but then you get bored of being "god" and play something else.
  63. Oct 26, 2013
    Ta gra jest śmieszna tylko w jednym aspekcie. Śmieszne jest to że twórcy wypuszczają "TAKĄ" grę na rynek. Przykro mi po tak dobrej 3 to mówić, ale Saint's row IV to jedna z najgorszych gier tego roku. Twórcy wręcz w ogóle nie zmienili silnika graficznego poprzedniej części, dali nam nawet to samo miasto. W IV występuje większość tekstur, modeli i efektów znanych z 3. Twórcy poszli zaTa gra jest śmieszna tylko w jednym aspekcie. Śmieszne jest to że twórcy wypuszczają "TAKĄ" grę na rynek. Przykro mi po tak dobrej 3 to mówić, ale Saint's row IV to jedna z najgorszych gier tego roku. Twórcy wręcz w ogóle nie zmienili silnika graficznego poprzedniej części, dali nam nawet to samo miasto. W IV występuje większość tekstur, modeli i efektów znanych z 3. Twórcy poszli za przeproszeniem na odpierdziel robiąc taką grę. Gra momentami wygląda dość słabo(chodź grafika nie stanowi tutaj chyba największego problemu). Potem nadchodzi fabuła. Twórcy ze śmiesznego Saint's Row'a zrobili nudną, poważną grę science-fiction w dodatku ze strasznie nudnymi pomysłami. Gdyby nie 20%(ta część w której występują śmieszne motywy) momentów gry po prostu zasnął bym przed komputerem. Twórcy dodali specjalne moce, które trochę polepszają rozgrywkę, szkoda że są CHAMSKĄ(nie, nie wmawiajcie mi że twórcy dla śmiechu podpierniczyli innym twórcom pomysłu) zerżnięte z innych gier. Nie mówiąc o tym że 75% gry to nudne, monotonne, bez pomysłowe strzelanie do tych samych przeciwników. Gra jest nie dopracowana, zbudowana(tak że wiele misji musiałem zaczynać od nowa(tak, twórcy nie pomyśleli o możliwości wrócenia od checkpointa jeżeli gracz będzie tego chciał) ponieważ gra zbugowała się na amen). Jakość gry leży i kwiczy. Nie dosyć że twórcy zrobili DLC i uznali to jako zwykła, pełnoprawną nową grę to do tego zrobili do DLC fatalnie. Gra na szczęście momentami przypomina ducha Saint's Row'a, momentami śmieszy, i zawiera dość ciekawe pomysły. Moja ocena 5/10 Expand
  64. Sep 16, 2013
    Meh, it's not as I had expected. I find all the gaffs and goofs to really take away from the game and distance itself from the prior releases, though I assume I should have expected this. It's fun anyway, I guess... but not really sure.
  65. Mar 6, 2014
    When I bought this game, I didn't expect such a big plot twist.
    Seriously? From a street gang trying to get big to fighting aliens invading Earth? I'm confused.
    This seemed like a DLC of Saints Row the Third, not an entire sequel. It's the exact same map, almost the exact same guns and the exact same cars. It's like call of duty. I liked the super powers, even though they were a VERY
    When I bought this game, I didn't expect such a big plot twist.
    I liked the super powers, even though they were a VERY odd addition. I noticed that the superpower which allows you to run very fast is just one from the DLCs of SR3. They obviously didn't put any effort into this game. The guns are very meaty, and I like them a lot. I also enjoy the humour in the game.

They could have done much much better. New map? New cars? New guns? So much they could have done. I'm overall disappointed.
  66. Mar 23, 2014
    The game itself was pretty nice, but the fact that almost the entire map and other models were just taken was a bit of a let down. Other than that, it pretty much lived up to the hype and its promises.
  67. Oct 31, 2013
    The BAD:
    - 0 replay value NO HIDDEN OBJECTS AT ALL )
    - Useless DLCs Customization of the Gang and Cars and Weapons. - Superpowers early in the game making all the other Stuff mostly useless... ) - Almost free Gold ranks thats why the 0 Replay value... Without know how to... you can get gold rank in every event ) - its Allways Night time... until you finish the game... ) The
    The BAD:
    - 0 replay value NO HIDDEN OBJECTS AT ALL )
    - Useless DLCs Customization of the Gang and Cars and Weapons.
    - Superpowers early in the game making all the other Stuff mostly useless... )
    - its Allways Night time... until you finish the game... )

The good:
    - its Matrix without Martial Arts
    - Fun to Play
    -The parody and many hilarious moments.
    - One of the Best Super hero Games ever made... or even Matix Games Why not...
  68. Nov 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Aliens More Murdering

Saint's Row used to be a Gang War type of a Sandbox game. but who would ever thought of it being aliens now. In this Installment of the Saint's Row franchise. The Protagonist was elected President of the United States and during his term in-office the earth get's invaded by a alien race called the Zin. Who puts humans in a simulation of their world. The Protagonist returns to a simulation of Steelport where he needs to save earth from Zinyak the leader of the Zin.

Overall, this game is good. it has it's flaws. but its a must-have if you want some slapstick humor while murdering aliens.
  69. Nov 17, 2013
    Saints Row IV is not a good game. In this case all Deep Silver have done is change the SR3 Super powers DLC and put that into the game. They have also not changed the world. Not saying it's not prettier then SR3, it is, but you will know were all the little secret things are. BECAUSE THEY ARE LAZY AND DID NOT CHANGE THE WORLD! Anyway a lot of the missions go over the top and are quite fun.Saints Row IV is not a good game. In this case all Deep Silver have done is change the SR3 Super powers DLC and put that into the game. They have also not changed the world. Not saying it's not prettier then SR3, it is, but you will know were all the little secret things are. BECAUSE THEY ARE LAZY AND DID NOT CHANGE THE WORLD! Anyway a lot of the missions go over the top and are quite fun. But the story is lazy and not written very well. Also I have problems running this with my PC and my PC is a custom built desktop. In some parts of the city my FPS was going from 100 to 15. Big difference.
    My advice I would not get the game.
  70. Nov 17, 2013
    This game was good, but that's all. It is interesting at first but after about 7 hours of game play it gets too easy because you're too overpowered. Also once you get super speed and super jump there is almost no reason to drive a car around. Once you get your other abilities like fire and freeze etc. You can destroy the enemy within seconds. The game is funny and the story is okay, but itThis game was good, but that's all. It is interesting at first but after about 7 hours of game play it gets too easy because you're too overpowered. Also once you get super speed and super jump there is almost no reason to drive a car around. Once you get your other abilities like fire and freeze etc. You can destroy the enemy within seconds. The game is funny and the story is okay, but it does get boring after some time. The graphics are good as well not stunning but good. I think they rushed making this game and could have been a lot better, but they just wanted to release it before GTA V came out. Expand
  71. Nov 22, 2013
    The game itself is quite good, but there is one big problem; the superpower-theme. It's fun and cool enough to play around with, but Saints Row 3 was better, since you actually needed cars and there was a whole system to that. So to sum it up all quickly, I would say it's worth a buy if you like the series (after they changed it to being humor-based), but if you don't feel like the jokes,The game itself is quite good, but there is one big problem; the superpower-theme. It's fun and cool enough to play around with, but Saints Row 3 was better, since you actually needed cars and there was a whole system to that. So to sum it up all quickly, I would say it's worth a buy if you like the series (after they changed it to being humor-based), but if you don't feel like the jokes, the random moments and being OP is something you'd like, then do not buy it. Hopefully the next game will return to being normal, and the game itself being just a little bit challenging. Expand
  72. Apr 12, 2014
    This game is the worst saints row, but still good, especially the flash back missions. I think they went a bit to far with the future based story. so i rated it 6.
  73. Jun 4, 2014
    After an awesome "Saints Row The Third", they release a game that no coincidence was initially considered a DLC and only after a new chapter of the saga.
    Same city, same graphic, same cars, new story.
    The story is not bad, but after finished it I don't want to open again the game and play how I did with Saints Row The Third.
    When you finished the story the game is too boring to play!
  74. Feb 20, 2015
    Saints Row IV is a game of action / adventure open world, developed by Volition and published by Deep Silver in 2013. The game puts you in the role of leader of the Third Sreet Saints, which has now become President of the United States. The game takes place 5 years after the events of Saints Row The Third, a virtual reality, and in the city of Steelport, but little changed. TheSaints Row IV is a game of action / adventure open world, developed by Volition and published by Deep Silver in 2013. The game puts you in the role of leader of the Third Sreet Saints, which has now become President of the United States. The game takes place 5 years after the events of Saints Row The Third, a virtual reality, and in the city of Steelport, but little changed. The protagonist must fight against invading aliens and other gangs that are in simulator . The game is ok in terms of not one but me I liked so much. I met a few bugs, but we had no problems. Expand
  75. Nov 13, 2014
    This game is one hell of a ride. Non stop over the top action, many many well done and some badly done references to other games and a Matrix inspired story fused with Superman.

The most interesting feature is the superpower system. It basically is a double-edged sword. On the one hand side it makes the game fresh and gives a lot of nice options besides the usual weapons. On the other

The most interesting feature is the superpower system.
    It basically is a double-edged sword. On the one hand side it makes the game fresh and gives a lot of nice options besides the usual weapons. On the other hand it completely ruins the whole sandbox aspect.
    You never need to use a car again. The developers even seemed to know that. They made the radio available while not being in any vehicle and the city is the same as in SR3. You need maybe 5 minutes to cross the whole map by just running and jumping/gliding.

That said, I still had a great time playing it. The replay value is greatly reduced though.
  76. Jun 14, 2015
    Collecting virtual dust in my steam library. Its campaign was very fun, its powers and weaponry gadgets to a point were very fun, then it just got boring. Honestly this could be expansion DLC for Saints Row: The Third. Its only new thing it has going for it is the alien invasion, which could have been easily ported to Saints Row 3 since hell it has the SAME graphics and same area, noCollecting virtual dust in my steam library. Its campaign was very fun, its powers and weaponry gadgets to a point were very fun, then it just got boring. Honestly this could be expansion DLC for Saints Row: The Third. Its only new thing it has going for it is the alien invasion, which could have been easily ported to Saints Row 3 since hell it has the SAME graphics and same area, no improvement at all! Last time I played it was august 2014 and man it really sucks to see a sequel we did not really need. Expand
  77. Apr 13, 2016
    Bueno hay mucho que decir sobre SR4, lo expondre como ideas:

-Si, es cierto, es lo mismo que el SR3, el mismo mapa, el mismo motor gráfico, si es que tiene mejoras son mínimas. -Todo está reciclado, TODO, lo que si es bueno es que agregaron muchos más peinados eso estuvo bien, la ropa me decepcionó, es la misma que en sr3 si es que no es menos, lo que si hay son más trajes
    Bueno hay mucho que decir sobre SR4, lo expondre como ideas:

-Todo está reciclado, TODO, lo que si es bueno es que agregaron muchos más peinados eso estuvo bien, la ropa me decepcionó, es la misma que en sr3 si es que no es menos, lo que si hay son más trajes predeterminados disponibles y muy alocados y vistosos.

- Los poderes están muy bien es como woaa, no podria volver a jugar sr3 ya me acostumbré a esto, pero descuida, te llenan de misiones que tienes bloqueados los poderes asi que no te acostumbres mucho a ellos. AL rato se vuelve super monotono usarlos.

- Las armas, fue muy buena idea poder personalizar las armas, eso está genial, además que hay muchisima más variedad.

-Los poderes y el combate, en serio, woa, llenaron de armas el juego, crearon muchos poderes, como el ataque de fuego, de hielo, la telekinesis, el pisoton , el mejoramiento de armas con efectos, cuatro grupos de habilidades, cada uno como con 4 subtipos, muchas armas y para queee?. si solo puedes correr con tus super poderes y apretar E y eliminarlos a todos.

- Las actividades son divertidas como siempre, lo bueno que superarlas viene de la mano con misiones secundarias que te dan recompensas y se matan dos pájaros de un tiro.

- Diálogos divertidos, misiones alocadas, muchas muy parecidas a lo ya visto en sr3, historia estúpida jaja.

- Los enemigos son muy poco variados.

- Los vehiculos se vuelven inútiles, innecesarios ya que correr es muchisimo más veloz para desplazarte.

- Este sr peca un poco de vivir del pasado, demasiaaadas referencias de cosas que pasaron en los anteriores títulos, un poco pudo ser, pero le metieron mucho del pasado en vez de tratar de apuntar hacia adelante.

En general el juego me gustó mucho, lo disfruté bastante, a primera respuesta incluso hubiera dicho que es mejor que el 3. Pero reflexionandolo mejor, me quedo con el sr3, lo encontré más variado, más rejugable, y además el hecho de estar metido en una simulación, no se, siento que perdió mucha vida el juego con eso. La ciudad se siente muerta.

TL;DR? -> SR4 very fun game, but SR3>SR4

7.4/10
  78. Aug 20, 2013
    First off, let me say that this is NOT a game you take seriously, it's a game you just sit back and have good damn time with. That being said ....

I am a fan of the Saints Row games, and even though this one stands apart from the earlier titles, it still pure Satins action, comedy, and story throughout. It's most definitely one of those games you're either going to love or hate. The

The story is actually good, the gameplay is a blast, and the it looks and sounds great. It's definitely a unique experience that's for sure, and one that I am enjoying a great deal. All the "over the top" action and Saints styling I have grown to love. With a huge helping of Sci-Fi, and love, and lust, and blowing crap up, and laying the smack down is full on superhero fashion.

Like others suggest, check the game out before you buy if you're worried about not liking it. And for the love of Pete, don't take it so serious! Sit back and enjoy the ride!

Money well spent in my humble opinion.

1. PC PowerPlay
    Oct 28, 2013
    A combination of sublime and ridiculous, Saints Row IV is outlandish fun. [Nov 2013, p.97]
  2. Pelit (Finland)
    Oct 5, 2013
    Saints Row IV is wild and wacky, but also provides first class entertainment. [Sept 2013]
  3. Sep 10, 2013
    The fourth part in the Saints Row saga is an outrageous, silly and incredibly entertaining adventure. The days of Grand Theft Auto is since long gone and the game reminds you rather of the super hero games Crackdown and Infamous. An unexpected but welcome change.