7.3

1. Aug 20, 2013
    A LOT of people will be mad at this game. It is completely different from all of the ones before it, and it really shares little with the previous games in the series. If you didn't like SR 3 due to the sci-fi and super hero aspects, you might hate this game... a lot. If you're looking for something in the realistic criminal vein (ala Grand Theft Auto), you might hate this game.

The
    changes here are immense. It's like being in a mish-mash of every science fiction movie out there, with lots of elements/ideas coming straight from the Matrix.

Before you buy, check out some of the YouTube gameplay videos and make sure you're not going to hate it. If you go into this with the wrong expectations, you're going to be very disappointed.
  2. Aug 21, 2013
    Playing this game has made time fly by so quickly as it is so much fun in my opinion. It is silly & wacky which makes it quite fun to tell the truth. At first I was planing on getting SR4 sometime when it went on sale, until I started to learn more about it I then got it on the hour of it's release & after playing it, it's not just SR3 with superpowers, it's sooooo much more than that. I find the storyline to be quite entertaining as well to go along with the sandbox gameplay in general. I can see myself playing this game for hours on end even after completing the storyline and/or the 100% completion. It was a good investment I made & even bought the season pass already. Take it from someone who has played Saints Row from the very beginning, you will not be disappointed if you get SR4. Expand
  3. Aug 21, 2013
    Great humor
    + Great storyline
    + All Characters

- Not too cool shooting
    - Still the same city (Steelport)
    - Not cool graphics
    verdict
    to have fun with this game you need to turn a blind eye on a few things but it is definitely worth playing
  4. Aug 20, 2013
    First off, let me say that this is NOT a game you take seriously, it's a game you just sit back and have good damn time with. That being said ....

I am a fan of the Saints Row games, and even though this one stands apart from the earlier titles, it still pure Satins action, comedy, and story throughout. It's most definitely one of those games you're either going to love or hate.

The
    story is actually good, the gameplay is a blast, and the it looks and sounds great. It's definitely a unique experience that's for sure, and one that I am enjoying a great deal. All the "over the top" action and Saints styling I have grown to love. With a huge helping of Sci-Fi, and love, and lust, and blowing crap up, and laying the smack down is full on superhero fashion.

Like others suggest, check the game out before you buy if you're worried about not liking it. And for the love of Pete, don't take it so serious! Sit back and enjoy the ride!

Money well spent in my humble opinion.
  5. Aug 20, 2013
    Now here is a game with a premise. The (fully customisable) protagonist of Saints Row IV is a former gang leader-turned-president of the United States. Aliens invade, trapping the people of earth in a matrix-esque simulated prison, leaving a superpowered commander-in-chief to save the world. The game's first mission involves a nuclear terrorist threat and the action actually escalates from there, eventually reaching dizzyingly surreal heights. In gameplay terms, the Saints Row series has never been revolutionary. It started life as a Grand Theft Auto clone, and that's still obvious here, though the superpowers are well-handled, fun and easy to use. The real strength is the writing, which is second to none. Saints Row IV is a brilliantly sharp cavalcade of pop-culture parody, showing a care for good dialogue and wit rarely seen in games. It may be immature, but that doesn't mean it isn't clever. Expand
  6. Aug 20, 2013
    It is a blast to play! There is so much to do and so much customization it isn't even funny! There is real world moments that tug on your heart strings, there are moments where you cry, there are moments where roll on the effing ground laughing your effing head off.
  7. Aug 20, 2013
    There is only one word that can describe this game. FUN! This is all that matters! This game has been drastically improved over its predecessor(s). Quit whining about how this game is the same as the previous game! Whose problem is it if you didn't read the reviews which specifically warned you about it before you've purchased the game? Absolutely yours.
  8. Aug 20, 2013
    Loving this game way more then I did the 3rd. Its over the top comedy that is actually funny this time around. I have never been a fan of the Saints Row series until this game, I can now say I am. The added powers and great amount of customizing you can do really adds a personal touch to the game. I would definitely suggest getting this is, especially if you have ever been a fan of Saints Row 3. I am having loads of fun, and laughing all the while which I did not expect to say because I thought the comedy in SR3 was childish, but this game has enough improvements all around not just in humor, to bring me back and I'm buying the season pass now because I have enjoyed the game so much already. Expand
  9. Aug 21, 2013
    I understand that everyone wanted the same old SR and they're pissed that it's different. I personally think it's one of the best video games ever developed. I think in some ways it blows GTA out of the water entirely. You'll have to play it though.
  10. Aug 20, 2013
    Since Saints Row 3, they instantly turned their approach to open world into a massive dick-joke.
    Yet the comedy is so funny, gameplay is so fun. Yet the gameplay period? Is comedy, even though you're killing people.
    Amazing gameplay, amazing storyline.
  11. Aug 22, 2013
    Started playing this at release, awesome game.. main story is lots of fun and difficulty is well adapted.
    Game is focused on player having fun, not doing boring over and over.
  12. Aug 21, 2013
    Saints row 4 ups the third by adding tons of features, i´ve been a fan since the first days of saints row, and yes, i was disappointed with the third, but saints row 4 slowly won me over, the use of powers, the variety of missions, awesome references instead of the sex jokes, great voice acting, actually good writing this time, a really great villain, are just some of the things that, while different from SR1 and 2, make 4 unique, saints row 4 it's a whole different thing than 2 or even 3, it's a game that evolved into something fun, that's the best word for this game: FUN, the game has this irresistible sense of fun in anything you do, exploring the city, completing challenges, completing missions, everything is in the right way and it doesn't feel tiring or monotonous since there's so much content, i really liked the game, after SR3, this is an awesome follow-up, if you like games that make you feel powerful, and have tons of content yet they don't feel monotonous, this game is for you. Expand
  13. Aug 20, 2013
    Even though the changes from SR3 are minimal and some features have been left out, it's still an awesome game and, in my opinion, one of the maddest games of the generation.
  14. Aug 21, 2013
    @killingspree didn't you gave SR3 a 10 ?

The game ist just what I expected. Chaotic, over the top and pure awesomeness.

Just the game's engine could use a few updates.
  15. Aug 24, 2013
    There is going to be divided response between the gamer's.Saints row IV is in the same league of saints row 3 but is better with even crazier game play(superpowers, dubstep gun!), crazy plot, top class humor and hilarious references(mass effect,matrix).The game plot is also well written and voice acting is also top of the class
    But as said many gamer's will not like this game,it's going
    to have a divided response. So if u are looking for a fun game with no sense of logic and just want to f*ck things up, go for it. If you expect something groundbreaking, monumental or some revolutionary game, you are going to very disappointed. Expand
  16. Aug 24, 2013
    Leave aside the fanboys who bash this great game just because "It isn't exactly like Saints Row 2!", an amazing game, superpowers done well, a lot of things to do, a long sandbox (Took me more than 30 hours to beat) and a LOT of fun, give it a try, from someone who loved SR2 and "liked" SR3, this one is on par on SR2.
  17. Aug 24, 2013
    A lot of people did not like this saints row game because of the whole new level of stupidity. I agree, that some people might not like this Saints Row game or even the entire franchise. But the thing is that there's people out there, like me, who like games that don't take themselves seriously. This game is basically Saints Row 3 meets prototype kinda What I have to say is that I highly recommend this game to anyone who wants to have fun either in single player or Co-op mode, you rarely see games that do that now days. Expand
  18. Aug 23, 2013
    This is by far one of the funniest games I've ever played !
    The story is different that's true, but it's for the better.
    If you like absurd humor, then this game is made for you!
  19. Aug 25, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Usually I don't want to give a 10 rating too easily, but this game easily blew it's predecessor out of the park.
    Saints Row IV adds more than you think it does. The gameplay is Saints Row: The Third's but improved upon to include super powers. The story is much more better than SR3 as it has a full on plot instead of just wacky funny stuff that adds up for a story. The story ties up many loose ends in the series, bringing back old characters like Tanya Winters, Veteran Child, Maero and Julius. There are a lot of hilarious references and parodies that the writers created in this game, such as using a typical Call of Duty breach and clear on the first mission, and Metal Gear Solid's stealth gameplay during a rescue mission.

The game is by far a blast to play even alone, doing missions, side quests, activities, and collecting all of the audio logs and clusters, you can just roam around the world for nearly hours.

If you liked Saints Row: The Third, you will love Saints Row IV.
  20. Aug 21, 2013
    I wasn't sure I'd be happy with SRIV given the "it started as an expansion" thing as well as not being a big fan of superhero themes...but so far, I have to admit I'm having a lot of fun. Where SR:TT left me feeling a little listless and bored, SRIV has (so far) been just plain fun. I can't say I've just enjoyed a game like this in quite a while.

Would I have liked a "real" new game?
    Sure, I suppose. But, really, in the end, so long as I get a full game's worth of time out of it, I don't really care if it stays as fun as it is. Expand
  21. Aug 22, 2013
    I will be completely honest, I didn't like Saints Row the Third. With that being said, I wanted the series to go back to it's roots with the mix of the GTA style sandbox with a side of ridiculous stuff, what did we end up getting? Neither, SR 3 or SR2. Is that a bad thing? Not necessarily and here's why. A game can be is ridiculous as it wants but all it needs especially for saints row is a good story. Yes a lot of things from SR3 and SR2 are recycled but that doesn't but if the gameplay is fun (which it is) and the story is good (which it is) then I'm all for it. Saints Row the Third failed to find a balance between the ridiculous and seriousness that previous games in the series had. Saints Row IV on the other hand balanced those two things in a different way, by amplifying both. There are a lot of nostalgic moments from the previous games (which I loved). So overall I don't understand how people can thing Saints Row 3 is a great game while Saints Row IV essentially improves on everything SR3 did wrong. The biggest question though is if Saints Row IV is just glorified dlc. Like I mentioned, a lot of things are recycled but by no means did I ever feel like I was playing a rehashed game throughout by 11 hour run-through of the main story. I am giving it a 9 out of 10 simply because of how close it came to reaching the great heights that Saints Row 2. I feel that this franchise has really found it's niche in the sandbox world even if the third game sucked (Saints Row 3 6/10). So, I look forward to future adventures with the saints. Expand
  22. Aug 22, 2013
    Saints Row is a remarkable game of Deep Silver.
    The game is a great game creators did an amazing job on the medal. Well continued series developed by THQ. This game has great potential. Great August in her game. Soon this game should be a hit and achieved the expected number of units sold. Recommend gre all players, who enjoyed a series of Saints Row.
  23. Aug 25, 2013
    Not everyone is meant to be awesome.

You have some people who just want to repeat the same old tedious nonsense over and over. They'll sit down and do the same thing day in, day out. They don't get bored, they have no sense of quality, and that's why franchises continue to sell so well despite never changing their formula.

So, what's the biggest complaint in the negative reviews of
    Saints Row IV? It's different. It's entirely out of left field, and that's fun. Not everyone wants fun, most people want to retread the same ground, and they hate anything new and original. They're not interested in Saints Row IV because it isn't exactly the same as Saints Row II, and they'll come up with any lacklustre excuse to hide this.

Some people aren't meant to be awesome.

I'm awesome, personally. And I'm having a fantastic time with this game, since it's something novel and a bit different. And it has that elusive quality which many games lack. What quality, you ask? What is this elusive, strange quality which games have been so bereft of, lately?

Fun.

Saints Row IV is awesome. It's fun.

Not everyone can be fun, and not everyone knows how to appreciate fun. Some people will spend their afternoons grinding away in Call of Duty, and to those poor souls, that'll be "fun," because they have very distorted view of fun. To me, sitting on your arse, grinding through bland, boring levels, finding places to lie down with your sniper rifle to take potshots? That's about as fun as filling out a form, or doing taxes.

Fun is exhilarating, fun is thrilling, fun has you sitting on the edge of your seat. Fun is awesome.

So, if you value fun? If you're awesome? Saints Row IV is for you. Simple as that. Ignore the boring twerps who simply can't handle it, and do try not to become one of them.
  24. Aug 23, 2013
    I'm in love with this game as much as I was Saints Row 3. It has enough new content to make it feel like a full-blown sequel while keeping everything that made Saints Row 3 such a great game. A game like this is definitely going to get a lot of hate purely because of how stupid and over-the-top this game is, but that's the point! The main thing I love about this game is how it doesn't take itself too seriously, and maybe more people would enjoy it if they didn't take it too seriously either. What really takes the cake for me is that I was able to carry my Saints Row 3 character over to Saints Row IV, which is awesome! Expand
  25. Aug 22, 2013
    A lot of fun, really silly and over the top, getting around the city is easier and more fun than ever with the super powers, there's a ton of activities to do, I've only got a few issues with it. For one, cars feel kinda useless, you get the powers pretty early in the game, and odds are you're only going to use cars when you have to during missions. It's pretty crashy, I've had missions glitch or the game just freeze multiple times, Volition might patch it. It's night, all the time, they got rid of the day/night system, and throughout the game it's just nighttime all the time, however, when you finish the campaign you get an option to change the time to whenever you want. And some of the mini games could use some tuning, like the Fight Club one just feels really annoying, and during fights you will get enemies that come at you with baseball bats or fists, and they will gang up on you and make everything you do a feeble effort, it gets really annoying. Expand
  26. Aug 22, 2013
    I honestly enjoyed this game. Some will say that SR has gone too far with this, but I don't think that actually. This is a game with many references to the popular movies and games (Terminator, MGS, Robocop, Space Invaders, Mass Effact series...). Has a better story than SR3. Technical issues are here too. My final verdict is nine.
  27. Aug 23, 2013
    I think that is a mix of the best in the series that was foolish to abandon this. Yes I agree that the visual graphics are not changed but it has become much deeper in terms of gameplay and story. If you've played the games in the series you will not be disappointed. So I'm sure it's a great gift for beginners.
  28. Aug 25, 2013
    This game is a lot of fun. Its not perfect but I truly feel like a badass playing this game, running around freezing things, setting things on fire, inflating heads and abducting people. Just the amount of things you can do makes this game what it is. If you have expectations, you might be disappointed, but if you clear your mind and just let the game suck you in. You will have a blast. And yes if your a FAN BOY of GTA, and think GTA is GOD. Then you already set the bar low for this game, and of course it will not meet your expectations. But if your open minded and have a sick sense of humor. You will like this game. Expand
  29. Aug 23, 2013
    This is easily on the top ten games I have ever played. Is there things they could have improved in this game? Yep. Is it in the same vain as SR or SR2? Nope. Is it basically the best superhero game ever made? Yep.

If your wanting the GTA clone that SR/SR2 was this not the game for you. If you looking for a fun game where you play a super powered character with great writing get this!
  30. Aug 26, 2013
    Many people say that this is a ripoff of GTA series but, your GTA has superpowers? Awesome, Action Packed, Adrenaline Pumping Missions? Character Customization? Dubstep Gun?I guess not.
  31. Aug 23, 2013
    the game has only just been released and i played almost all night. AMAZING and blazing fun this game.
    almost everything is recycled from saints row 3 but in a completely different perspective.. love it!
  32. Aug 24, 2013
    The game is ridiculous, it's over the top and it's a little flaky on the storyline front. It's also a lot of fun! With some really great guns and an open world to wreak havoc on, it's a huge disaster sandbox. Yes it's got more nonsensical but it's not trying to win you over with a coherent storyline, it's trying to be fun and in your face. I like it.
  33. Aug 23, 2013
    This is a different game then the other saints row. It is more of a superhero/antihero game then a gangster game. You won't really feel like your running a gang or fighting gangs, but you will feel like a superhero. It is fun, and has a lot of new and improved parts that will keep you entertained for a LONG time. If you have played all the past saints rows, then you will be happy to hear this is a blend of saints row 2 and saints row 3. It has a STORY! The story is now seperate from the sidemissions, and every thing feels better than ever. The combat is lacking in the sense that superpowers are all you really need to get the job done, but switching to gun makes fighting more fun. I loved saints row 2 and thought saints row 3 was ok, but I am really having a blast in saints row 4. I would suggest you get it. If you are unsure about a more superhero based game then maybe wait until the price drops a little, but I am glad I spent my money on a preorder. Expand
  34. Aug 24, 2013
    I hate how people say its like cod because it like a new baby soft and strangely cute but when most of the acting comes around really good as you come around famous actors like Keith David And Nolan North Voicing Also Benjamin MOTHERFUCING King as a main character *Nolan North is only a voice but has own script*.

the super powers fit in perfectly with the campaign it just beautiful just
    buy it now t see what I mean Expand
  35. Aug 23, 2013
    This really is amazing game, it keeps you entertained all the way through. playing with you buddy as you fight along side him with super powers is a blast!
  36. Aug 25, 2013
    No game will ever surpass the level SR4 in terms of fun. This was the most fun ive had since well...a long time ago. Most games suck me in with the story, interesting gameplay, or the great graphics/physics, SR4 just takes a on my face and tells me to like it, and I do. +Superpowers +Flashbacks to older games +So much to do +Puns/references to a ton of games/movies (MGS, METRIOD, ME3, MATRIX etc...)
    -Same city
    -Always night time
    -there really isnt anything bad to say about this game. its not a SR3 DLC its not SR3.5 its a great sequel.
  37. Aug 25, 2013
    This game, simply put, is absolutely sublime from start to finish; it is a charming cartoon whale in the slurry filled ocean that is the current games industry; it doesn't want to be taken seriously, the game just wants you to have fun with all of its might, and that alone is worth at least a look.

If you like fun, and games, then PLAY THIS GAME.
  38. Sep 15, 2013
    Took Saints Row 3's greatness and made it even better. Why fix what isn't broken?
  39. Aug 25, 2013
    I've been playing indie games a lot lately rather than mainstream games. You may wonder why that is, but I have a very good reason for wanting to do so. The simplest truth is that I find indie developers to be better at making video games than mainstream developers, mostly because mainstream developers don't actually make video games most of the time.

What do they make? Well, from my
    experience, I'd say their stock in trade is exercises in tedium, boring person simulators, and desaturated uncanny valley simulators. I look at something like Assassin's Creed or Grand Theft Auto and I'm given pause, I have to ask myself where the fun is in those games, because there really isn't any. The other day I realised that I had more fun playing Kerbal Space Program, because at least there's an element of the fantastic to that, there's a degree of imagination involved.

Whereas something like Grand Theft Auto IV has a fetish for reality, it cares more about believable hydraulics than having fun. If I wanted believable hydraulics, I'd go and take a drive in my car. What I want from a video game is something that feels more arcadey and fun, something detached from reality, something that genuinely makes me feel good when I play it because of the aforementioned fun factor. So, what am I doing in Grand Theft Auto IV? I'm driving my brother around to go to a strip joint, or bowling, or to play darts. I could do these things myself, so why am I doing them in a video game again? Are people really so stagnant that they find entertainment in this?

Even Assassin's Creed is limited by its attachment to historical accuracy, so often you'll have to sit through long and not at all engaging cutscenes before you can... uh, have the game play itself, because requiring skill is dangerous, it might upset the player. See, I'm not against cutscenes, if they were interesting and well written I could sit through them. But let's be honest, gaming is hardly Pan's Labyrinth, and most of the writers are bloody awful (Obsidian hoards the good ones, I think), so making me sit through cutscenes that make me cringe? That's not fun. I don't want that. They can keep that.

And again, I like parkour, but I like having some say in whether I fail. Assassin's Creed is so easy that I could play it in my sleep. So having jumping puzzles in that game is worthless. And therein lies the issue, there's nothing which actually challenges the player on any level, but worse, there's no fun to be had. If you were having fun, at least, then it wouldn't matter.

See, this is why I like proper video games. I do like games. And I mean video games. You know? Recently, I've enjoyed Megabyte Punch and Beatbuddy because they're both proper video games. It's what I prefer to play. They have no pretensions about huge, involving stories, which is good, because only a few developers (Obsidian, and sometimes BioWare on a good day) can actually deliver. They concentrate on what was always fun about video games: The game itself. They make the game fun to play. They make it an enthralling visual feast of colour and sound, they have tight controls, and the end result is incredibly enjoyable.

So, what is the mainstream, to me? An exercise in soporific dullness backed up by bad writing and massively desaturated colour palettes (because colour is bad, it might scare people). I must have missed the memo that told humanity that we were now soulless, brain-drained accountants, with no love for creativity, novelty, or innovation.

If the mainstream represents the 'fantasies' of people today, then by golly, people are stagnantly boring.

So, what does any of this have to do with Saints Row IV? SR IV is a mutant. It's a mainstream game. I'm not entirely sure how that happened, really. But there it is. It's ridiculous, over-the-top, colourful, and it possesses that rarest of qualities which so many games are absent of of late: FUN. It's really very fun. So, I'm a werewolf in a suit with a powertie using superpowers to climb a jumping puzzle-laden sci-fi monument one moment, and the next I'm escaping from an alien mothership to the tune of "What is Love?" And then, then I'm using telekinesis to throw people and vehicles through coloured hoops in a faux gameshow.

It's really fun.

But more than that? More than that? It's a game. It's a video game. It's the real deal. It's just a video game.

And that's the best praise I could give to Saints Row IV. It's not an exercise in tedium, it's not a boring person simulator, it's not an accountant's most slate-coloured and plebeian fantasy... it's not any of those things. It's a game. It is a game that you will have fun playing. Unless you're a very boring person, in which case you won't. But hey, no worries, Assassin's Creed and Grand Theft Auto await to fulfill your entirely too mundane desires.

For people like myself, there's Saints Row IV.

Volition, you are too kind to me, and to any other person out there with an interest in video games.
  40. Aug 31, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is madly/smartly awesome with so much time put into it! Seriously the game has some of the best easter eggs and funny writing.One of the best easter eggs are when you're escaping you hear "What is love" and also hear Kenzie screaming "DO A BARREL ROLL!". Expand
  41. Aug 29, 2013
    Pretty amazing game, IMHO.
    If you're not expecting something very deep or thought-provoking akin to the Last of Us or the Walking dead, this is one way or another a very good game. This game obviously knows it's ridiculous, but it also knows how to bank on it and take advantage of this. Because of that, you wind up with some pretty funny situations, where I found myself actually laughing
    out loud on several occasions, because whatever happened was either funny or so much over the top it ended up funny.
    It's not to be taken as something like GTA. It's open-world, yes, and that's about where the similarities end. It's a game perfectly capable of standing on it's own, which is also why this could not be a DLC; the story line is too long, there are too many abilities and too much time and power put into making this game that it could be justified as a DLC.
  42. Sep 1, 2013
    May be this is really a DLC, not a whole new game. But it's definitely worth what it costs.
    Gameplay went far from original game. Now it's something like Prototype or Infamous, and it plays even better than this two.
  43. Sep 11, 2013
    the game was ridiculous at the beggining the intro cutscenes already made it a great game but when mid game when i got the dubstep gun i know this game was ridiculous fun in anyway havent had a good laugh by games by that for a long time for me its a full price buy
  44. Aug 30, 2013
    This game is awesome. This game is just everything that a gamer needs. Supah powas. Dubstep. Benjamin [CENSORED] King. Haddaway. Aerosmith. Repeat with me: GOTY. And, of course, f* you, Zinyak.
  45. Aug 29, 2013
    The only reason I give this a 10 is because I think of it as a different game. Take away the Saints Row title and just call it.....The Matrix...and you're neo. That's it.
  46. Aug 31, 2013
    No one would have believed in the first years of the twenty-first century that a game series that initially revolved around car theft and drug related gang warfare would eventually evolve into featuring a playable, heavily customizable US president in a space ship, hacking into the Matrix to avenge humanity by fighting hordes of alien invaders and giant soft drink cans with various super powers. But still this has become a fact.

I recommend everyone with a decent sense of humor to play this unlikely masterpiece of endless fun and severe insanity. Preferably together with a like-minded friend in co-op.
  47. Aug 28, 2013
    God damn hilarious. A seriously fun play that carries the Saints Row spirit. It was nice to see the old characters come back as well as introducing new ones.
  48. Aug 27, 2013
    Saints Row IV was expected to be the craziest game in the series. It did a great job of it. Saints Row: the Third was a little more boring, giving you more repetitive activities. Saints Row IV adds in so many new things to do, especially since the superpowers have been introduced. It uses great humor, well chosen radio songs, and awesome effects. Most of all, the game lets you play you want to play. If you want to be the badass superhero, ramming tanks into the skies, or if you want to be the old-style gun-wielding gangbanger, you can be that. Saints Row IV says it's your game in these ways, and it can't disappoint. Expand
  49. Aug 30, 2013
    Saints Row IV feels like a nod to pop culture with references to movies and games enjoyed through the past 20 years. The game plays a lot like III, but with the added "Crackdown" style gameplay. The humor is fun, the voice acting is excellent and it looks good. If you're ready for a laugh, some fun gameplay and a really enjoyable experience overall you should pick this up. If you're looking for a realistic crime drama similar to GTA you should look elsewhere. The game is a lot of fun. Expand
  50. Sep 27, 2013
    A pretty cool game to play whenever you are bored. The massive customization system makes the game shine. The access to zany and fun weapons and powers also contribute to its success.
  51. Aug 31, 2013
    The Game is mad fun, and dont let them tell you otherwise. The new powers mechanics is well integrated, Co-Op is back, stable and working while the VA´s and the Antagonist do a perfect Job here.
    It´s a great and enjoyable game. A lot of sarcastic quotes of iconic movie and comp industry titles without getting torn apart by it.
    1 Point less because of the missing cover system in fire
    fights. That´s something i can never get used seeing missing anno 2013. Expand
  52. Aug 27, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Saints Row 4 is a perfect openworld sandbox super hero/matrix of a game, the best in the series and the best game this year so far, everything about it is amazing, I've always wanted to enter the matrix and this is the closest I'm gonna get. Expand
  53. Sep 8, 2013
    This is a very nice game. It's extremely over the top. If you are looking for a GTA type of game this is not it. They've taken a hard right off the path into insanity. It's more of an evil super hero type of game. There is a lot of content in here and so much customization. Having these powers does make things like cars obsolete as I run around collecting all of these data pods but if you want to drive the cars can be pimped out. Some of it is cheeseball such as after mission screens where your character is doing really foolish moves and some missions are a lot easier than others. I've been playing off and on for about a month with 25 hours into it and I'm 25% complete. So unless you hit it really hard you won't sail through this game. There are tricks to doing that like loading an apache type helicopter for each mission. The aliens just get devestated. That's up to you though if you want to take a few shortcuts and complete it really fast. I don't know if there is much replay ability to it. I really enjoy this game but once it's complete I'll likely load SR3 back up. Expand
  54. Aug 28, 2013
    Amazing game! Pretty much the same engine, graphics, etc... as the third one but why change it. it was perfect in the third game and it is still as fun. The story is a little short and the characters didn't feel as real and likeable as the other saints row games. It doesn't take itself seriously which isn't a bad thing as it is really fun. If they make a fifth it will be very fun as the end of this game sets it up (I won't spoilt it). Expand
  55. Aug 27, 2013
    very fun so far, superpowers are a nice game changer to the saints row awesomeness.
    music is not as good as saints row 3 imo but still not bad either. very fun and worth the money if you liked saints row 3 you'll probably enjoy this one as well
  56. JEK
    Sep 3, 2013
    SR4 is a good game and it's very different from the previous SR games. The gameplay is very good.
    It's like playing a wacky PROTOTYPE (game) with all the flying and gliding. This a fast pace game. Who needs automobiles and airplanes if you can run like flash and jump like the hulk. It's a fun game. Don't mind the graphics if it's not GTAesque. SR3 was a bit boring in the end. You can't
    stop playing until you finish this game. Expand
  57. Aug 30, 2013
    Saint's Row is a franchise that has pretty much perfected making video games for fun. I can only imagine what it's like to work on such a project.

Saint's Row 4 is essentially more of the same, with parody and satire and humor that somehow mixes the lowbrow with the high in a perfect combination. The more video games you've played, the more you'll get out of it, with the almost
    neverending references scattered throughout.

If there was one thing that I found to be not quite excellent, it was the having to harvest the nodes to improve your superpowers. In a game that's always been all about balls to the walls fun, this aspect seemed like nothing more than a boring grind, especially since the damn things were on every other rooftop, which almost compels you to grind them, whereas if they had been a lot rarer, it might have been something obtained a lot more organically while playing the game.

The voice acting was excellent, again. I play the female version, and Laura Bailey continues to nail everything without overacting. I know Jennifer Hale gets all the voice actress press due to her high profile with the Bioware games, but I've always thought Laura Bailey to be the best voice actress in the business (I think Hale tends to overact-ie: female Shepard, but is great when she doesn't feel like she has to).

The only other downer is that, as far as I know, this was the last of the franchise. I do hope we see someone else make a quality game that is obviously having a lot of fun with itself in the future. So many games take themselves super seriously (not that there's anything wrong with that), and it's nice to play a AAA game that doesn't (and doesn't suck as a result).
  58. Sep 13, 2013
    hope saints row 5 just gets crazier. this is a game you call fun. not some lame serious aspect other games take. and for replayability at least you can continue playing after finishing and still have fun. those complaining should go back to the over serious gta games. game is also nothing compared to prototype. this is what prototype 2 wanted to be like. get bored with powers you have guns and can drive around. get bored of driving hey you can use your powers. i suppose this is a good example of why we can never have a true sandbox game. give people 2 options and they complain that its even there. Expand
  59. Sep 4, 2013
    I just can't stop having fun with this game, its crazy amazing fun, given the super powers you feel like hitch flying round the skys. I love this frickin game, I'm just gonna keep playing the cr*p out of it until GTA 5.
  60. Sep 3, 2013
    So fu*ing awesome! This game is hilarious, fun and action packed. If you liked SR the 3rd you will love SR4. Aside the mighty superpowers, the story is so enjoyable! Funny jokes about sci-fi movies and games like Mass Effect, The Matrix and even Demolition Man (just look near your spaceship toilet, you'll find 3 shells) are everywhere!
    In these days where games are only eye-candy graphics
    and a dull plot, SR4 is a welcomed surprise! Expand
  61. Sep 1, 2013
    Saints row 4 is one of the funniest game i ever played, the gameplay is quite good, the story is nice, but the powers is quite like prototype and the effect is more like mass effect i think but i still think its a fun and cool game that every gamer will enjoy and be happy
  62. Sep 7, 2013
    'Saints Row IV' is basically 'Saints Row: The Third' on Steroids, which is a good thing. It still contains all of what made 'The Third' amazing, and multiplied it by ten. The customization, witty dialogue, unique missions, and sheer insanity.

While some think it taking place in the same city as the previous game is a bad idea, I think it was the right idea. It gave them more time and
    resources to spend on other aspects of the game.

They really nailed the effects and shaders, and used them to their advantage. Whether it's the "loading" in of the virtual world, the very subtle pixelation of random characters and objects, or the almost VHS like flicker you can notice buildings have when you look closely at them. It gives off a feeling of being in a simulated world, without shoving it in your face 24/7. Only when it is crucial to the plot will they make it completely obvious, and over the top. It's stuff like this that really makes the game feel polished.

While many of the mission types from 'Saints Row: The Third' did get carried over into 'Saints Row IV', They also added some new, completely different missions. Especially in the main story. There were many times while playing through the main story that I had nearly forgotten that I was playing one game, and not an amalgam of three or four different games blended seamlessly together.

I have to admit, I was a little worried that it might just turn out as an expensive, standalone DLC for the previous game. However, I loved what I saw in the trailers and liked the previous game, so I trusted them. That trust paid off. There was not a single part in the main story where I knew what was going to happen next. It was well written, unique, and enthralling. You identify with both the protagonist (your character) and the antagonist. Some parts made me mad, some made me sad. Mostly, it made me laugh.

I would definitely recommend it to anyone that liked 'Saints Row: The Third' for its absurdity, hilarious character dialogue, ridiculous plot twists, and unique gameplay.

I would not recommend it to anyone who is expecting it to be a serious, more realistic game, not unlike the Grand Theft Auto series. That's just not what The Third Street Saints are about.
  63. Sep 7, 2013
    The game's a major beast. This game is right now being heavily compared to the most anticipated game of 2013 which is GTA V. This game surpasses its previous successors in all aspects apart from the graphics. The graphics of Saints Row IV for the Pc's much better than the Xbox 360.Its also handy to play. The gameplay's great. Those guys have improved the game mechanics.Nothing more to say. Great Game!!! Expand
  64. Aug 26, 2013
    It's thoroughly over the top and all-out fun. Yes, it's all "in the Matrix" this time around and yes, you will feel like Neo, but that's part of the charm. You don't have to explain something like a "Dub-Step Gun", but you'll be laughing the whole time you use it to level a city block. The voice-acting is top notch as always and the characters come across as lively and real. Graphics are top notch for a sandbox with this much content and the effects are well designed. As you work to destabilize your personal digital hell, you'll see more messed up game models, more pixelization effects and more unstable textures on walls. Complaints-wise is the game feels a bit rough at times. The kind of roughness that usually goes away after a patch or two. Dialogs sometime stop abruptly (not really mid-sentence, but leaving you wondering if there should have been more) and the plot jumps around a bit without smooth cinematic transition. I've also had the occasional crash. Gameplay wise, I wish they didn't give you the super running and jumping as early as they do since it totally makes the vehicular gameplay a moot point; but at least it's still an option. Also it would be nice to be able to toggle some abilities on or off like the Running Tornado which can sometimes be more trouble than it's worth. Overall though, it's a LOT of content and a LOT of fun. I loved SR3 and I love SR4 just as much. I highly recommend it to anyone who enjoyed murderbrawling through the former. Expand
  65. Aug 28, 2013
    So far this game has been fun. Lots of crazy Saints Row Love the Matrix/TRON vibe. The super powers are fun to use. How cant you love flying around the city being the boss and giving the Aliens some attitude and if they want some action you can freeze,burn,TK there ass lol! Or you can shoot them as well with an arsenal of fun weapons. Either way fun for all the male family. My son stayed in his room for 2 days and did everything. We arnt speaking about the game due to spoilers at the moment.

Its a Really fun, good game but not a massive leap graphically from SR3 but thats my only complaint.

T
  66. Aug 29, 2013
    I have to admit that Saint's Row IV is my first Saint's Row so I am not able to compare it with the previous ones.
    This game is great! Full of action and fun, but it has some "technical" problems. What I mean is for example that your enemies sometimes behave really stupid.
  67. Aug 31, 2013
    I got this game on steam for (quite) a lot of money and I must say: it was all worth it. This game has amazing missions and very good side quests and activities. I reached 100% of the game and if I go to 100% it means I really like this game. The only con is the freeplay. On Saints Row: The Third I liked to screw around and do fun stuff between the missions. On Saints Row IV there is nothing else to do except the missions, the activities and the collectibles. There are no cribs or bases, just the doorways. Expand
  68. Sep 2, 2013
    Single player thoroughly entertained by the game variety and player options available. Brilliant. Fun to play. the most fun I've had in 10 years of gaming.
  69. Sep 2, 2013
    once you go saints row 4 you'll never go back epic all the way =D
    ive completed the story very quick but it was nothing but laughter through the whole game
  70. Sep 6, 2013
    Saints Row IV was definitely the most fun game I've ever played. Although the simulated city was a bit small and the story was a bit rushed out, but overall it was a pleasing experience. Character creation was pretty decent and the voices of Nolan North And Troy Baker and Aerosmith's I Don't Wanna Miss A Thing fit the game just right. I recomment this game to those who love open wold sandbox games. Expand
  71. Sep 6, 2013
    Weird. Everyone seems to rate this against SR3 2 etc. I never played those. Looks like I picked a good time to find Saints Row, because this one is just excellent. The humour is fantastic (even if you've never played the others). The variety and scope is awesome. It's just insane, stupid, over-powered, well cooked fun from start to end. I reckon there's about 40 hours+ game play just in the single player, and I really was sad to reach the final mission. That's a sign of a good game in my book.

If you want reality and no super powers, go pick up one of the thousands of "be a soldier" games, or dig out the GTA series. This isn't them. It has super powers, it's not meant to be realistic. It's just meant to be fun. It succeeds.
  72. Sep 10, 2013
    It may have been originally a DLC for SR3 but it's one of the most fun games I have played in quite sometime. In my opinion it's one of the mot underrated games in the past couple of years it's so much fun, allot of comedy in the script writing. I think it's worth every penny
  73. Sep 11, 2013
    First game in a long time that I have been hooked to for a whole weekend! Only shame is one the story finishes there is not much to do. The best way to describe this game is GTA with a tablespoon of LSD...
  74. Sep 14, 2013
    Saints Row IV is like if Saints Row The Third and Crackdown got married, had a child, and genetically enhanced it with more superpowers! Fun game, will be playing through it again.
    jdshep[dot]wordpress[dot]com
  75. Sep 24, 2013
    Great game i dont care if people say is only a dlc, this is just a damn game that want you to have a good time, thats what games propose is right? make you have a good time. i hope volition make more games like these one
  76. Oct 16, 2013
    10/10 Stupid in the best way. Saint's Row IV delivers an amazing experience that's not easily surpassed.

Saint's Row IV. Many words can describe this game but only one rings true for it's entirety. Stupid. Now stupid may be an ugly word, but in the context I am using it, it means complete and utter brilliance. Volition know they're game isn't serious, and they embrace it. The aliens,
    the weapons, the Nolan North voice option, all of these factor into the game's complete self criticism. It's as if Volition said "Saint's Row is stupid, lets make it even more stupid" and it worked brilliantly.

Enough praise for now, let's get to the game itself. Saint's Row has undoubtedly improved itself since it's last outing. The Third was by no means a bad game, but Saint's Row IV improves upon it astronomically. More guns, more vehicles, more mini-games, more stupidity and who could forget the super powers, which are the most interesting part of this new game. The game play has been significantly improved and made more challenging, the player now has to collect Unreal style health pick-ups seeing as the health regeneration feature has been reduced greatly. This adds an extra layer depth to the previously simple fighting mechanic, it also makes it's game play so much more intense than games like Call of Duty or GTA V. The new blast mechanics force the player to strategize, balancing their now limited health and usually taking on five or more enemies at once can be a real challenge so when you see your freeze blast recharge fully you'll breathe a sigh of relief and shatter some New mini games have been introduced, along with an Olympic medal style ranking system which encourages player to replay until they earn gold.

But the main, crowning feature of this game, are it's superpowers. Not just the powers themselves but the nooks and crannies that come with aforementioned powers. The world now has much more verticality, collectibles are on the 22nd story of a building or in between massive industrial chimneys. A massive new upgrade tree, along with the Saint's standard upgrade tree seen in every game. With each data cluster, the player is that little bit closer to unlocking a desired superpower or additional element for their blast power. Finally, it's plain and simple fun just to fly around the city of Steelport.

The narrative side is where this game has completely overdone the stupid. Aliens attack and the Saints are the only thing that can stop them. A lowly gang of gangbanger/celebrities/politicians etc etc, are now tasked with the protection of the human race. Sounds completely ridiculous, well that's because it is. It's also the most entertainment I've had since, well, Saint's Row 2. The characters are over the top, the jokes are at times subtle or extremely distasteful and in your face, but always make you laugh. To be frank, this game perfects what gaming should be. It's cut all ties to reality and sanity, it's taken the "Who the Hell wants to plays a game for realism" approach. This game makes you feel like a complete badass, and there's nothing wrong with that. The writing is witty and would make any middle aged man chuckle with glee thanks to an absolute tonne of 80s references (play thermonuclear war). At the same time, any immature little brat like myself would find most jokes hilarious. This game isn't afraid to outright steal from other games, fans of Mass Effect might notice a certain cameo appearance and even a wannabe Normandy, inFamous and Prototype fans will definitely see some obvious similarities. But it's all done with self awareness, Volition knew what they were doing, and even went so far as to extend the reach of their plagiarism. It is perfection.

Issues include some shoddy graphics as the game is still running on an older engine, but anyone who buys a game for graphics is as bad as someone buying a book for its cover. There are glitches, but they were relatively small and easy enough to handle. Some of the flying is hard to control when playing on PC, but works wonderfully with a controller.

In the end, Saint's Row IV is worth your money, time and effort. It's unparalleled obscurity and stupidity are only starting points for why you should play this game. It is an unforgettable experience, in the best way.

-Kyle
  77. Oct 2, 2013
    This game is amazing, just as crazy and fun as the previous ones in the series but now with super powers. Missions are fun you can't get enough of it. SRIV mostly makes fun of the movies and games like matrix, mass effect and others. Can't wait for the next game.
  78. Sep 26, 2013
    The first time I played this game only one word came in my mind OMG!!!
    This game has became more fun more awesome..... NO game can be compared with saints row series...
    It's a game for free roam lovers.... and with super powers it's more fun and interesting....
    Yet it has taken references from games like prototype and hulk... but the fact is they aren't even a match for SAINTS ROW IV.

I promise gamers I haven't seen anyone who gets bored with saint row series......
  79. Oct 1, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. So, the game isn't that good, its just perfect, amazing soundtrack, funny dumbass missions, cool characters and a very great story.
    Of corse there are glitches, but they are just too funny, and by the course of the game, you will notice they are there because the creator wants it.
    The aliens, the enemy gangs of old steelport, everything, that brings even Johnny Gat is back, so, as you can see, there is nothing bad abaut this game
    The games defenitively deserves at least a 100 out of 100 and it really deserves you to play it, with or without wanting it
  80. Oct 8, 2013
    First time I played the Saints Row games and I loved every minute of it! One of the few games I was determined to play to the end! Hats off to the developers!
  81. Jul 14, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Ignore the haters, Saints Row 4 is a really fun game to play and deserves the highest rating because the game is so addictive and super fun. I loved everything about the game and have spent countless hours playing it. All the missions are fun including the side ones along with the gun fighting, especially the part where you get to blow **** up which is really satisfying, trust me :). I don't know why people compare this to GTA 5 as it is an entirely different game all together, so no ratings should reflect upon this otherwise the rating is pointless. Grab this game and have a blast! You wont regret it. Expand
  82. Oct 30, 2013
    Highly entertaining. If you forget about what came before and judge this game on its own merits it's a huge amount of fun and very very funny. Provided some real laugh out loud moments. Don't know where on earth they're going to go with the next in the series though!
  83. Oct 14, 2013
    After SR3 and it's mixed crowd (people wanting the game to be serious and people just wanting to have fun), it all repeats somehow again, but also for other reasons and some I'm actually agreeing with.
    First, this was actually an expansion for the third game that in the end became a game on its own: that is reason why it lacks a lot of innovation and it just doesn't do much new...but if
    people can still play CoD every year despise being the exact same, this game actually DOES things a lot better than you'd expect. First, the game got a lot better in the story: many old ones and some even new will really shine out in every moment..heck even the VILLAIN is great! Not only that, a lot of the dialogues, jokes, and writing in general just got way better, without mentioning lots of scenes with just pure random awesomeness (one word: "Haddaway"). For the game itself...it had some tweaks sure: the game now features more guns with more differences between them, with also more customization options on cars and also costumes (even though not as many as you'd think). The game unfortunely changes the colors of the game into a very darkish red, meaning that the old Steelport is long gone in here: It's not a big deal, but it is a worse sight for your eyes. And of course, we got superpowers...and this is why I also dislike this game much. Because the superpowers replaces every single type of transport. Sure, you can drive (we got some few new vehicles, both flying and cars. I didn't see any water ones though), but with the superpowers you can literally plane all over the place, from side to side, in a matter of seconds, without mentioning that you're flatout faster, more agile, and everything: cars are literally pointless in this game, and it defeats the purpose of being a "Free-roaming" game, since it's more like a super-hero game. I'm not saying that this is a flaw per se but, in a way, it's like playing GTA with noclip: it's so fun at first, but you'd still want to play all the game normally without so much strength. Also, missions got very varied this game, even if slightly, and most of them still consist on same objectives but you'll have to use a different method; we also have few new missions too, like the sprint missions, puzzles with super powers (like jumping platforms, telekinesis throw, etc), some old, like Genki's and Fraud (with super powers, it's WAY hilarious to play!). My only drawback is that a lot of these missions are just too simple and easy to complete, no point even giving us 3 medals since it's so easy to complete them. And lastly, my biggest problem which was also in the third game: it's way too repetitive in here and a lot of missions are just submissions (cracking the places are the most annoying too). Sure the good missionns are GOOD and you'll love to unlock everything but I felt a lot of missions being the same exact thing. In other words, as much as I loved this game, as much as I loved the passion put into this game (especially the fact that "one" character comes back, it shows how they cared for the fans. I guess?), I personally prefer Saints Row 3 for its simplicity. But is SR4 worth? Absolutely: it's a fun game and, surprise, games are made for having fun, and it hits the spot with some resevervation.
    Has flaws, but also tons of fun in it, give it a try if you just want to relax and enjoy some silly comedy.
  84. Sep 22, 2013
    This game was hilarious with a goofy storyline. In my view, it wasn't quite as funny as Saints Row 3, but it still had its moments. As far as gaming goes, about 90% of the missions were challenging, with a few that were ho-hum. My only critique is that there were so many buttons, that you really need to use a game controller instead of a keyboard. Also, I found it hard to remember so many commands. Otherwise, this was a great game and I'm glad I bought it. Expand
  85. Oct 23, 2013
    If you enjoyed Saint's Row 2 but not Saint's Row 3, I would not recommend this, but anyone who is a fan of both will absolutely love this game. It's steering farther and farther from a gta-esque game and just becoming insanely over the top.
  86. Jan 20, 2014
    TL;DR - SR4 is ENGINEERED FUN. It cuts out all the mundane tasks commonly found in other games and focuses on giving the player all they need to have a good time. Everything is optional, yet nothing is a grind. // Wow. Just WOW! Saints Row IV is one of those rare games in the (increasingly saturated) genre that manages to be both original and high quality. It REDEFINES sandbox much in the same way that Grand Theft Auto III popularised it. The philosophy here is to give the player freedom. You are presented with a large set of options, tools, mechanics etc. and what you do with them is totally up to you. Saints Row IV has a surprisingly deep yet simple RPG element, in which everything is customizable. Vehicles, weapons, skills, abilities and especially your character. It's perhaps one of the least limiting open-world games to date. Not only does Saints Row IV give you the necessary tools to have fun through its RPG elements and of course, superpowers, but it also capitalizes on something so fundamental to sandbox games which has been missed by most others: VARIETY. By not taking itself seriously and having many disjointed events and tools, it manages to compile some of the best parody of other video games I have ever had the pleasure of experiencing. The level design in Saints Row IV, coupled with the whole plot, context and game mechanics, are so ridiculously unbounded that one almost wonders how games like Grand Theft Auto IV - with its repetitive missions, boring story and repetitive, dull gameplay - can co-exist alongside something as creative as Saints Row IV. The main reason the game works is due to its presentation. Everything is a game within a game. More importantly, the game KNOWS this, and takes full advantage to speak to the player directly. The designers have clearly understood the essence of what makes sandbox games so fun, and focused entirely on designing the story, levels and game mechanics around this. It blatantly steals ideas from other games such as Crackdown and Total Overdose but also ridicules other games in a light-hearted and overt manner. The over-the-top nature isn't just a fad that wears off however. It is the core of this game. It's not that Saints Row IV is ABNORMAL, it's that other open-world games don't think outside of the realms of their contexts. There are so many ideas all rolled into one (seemingly) big mess, but make no mistake. Saints Row IV is a very well-structured game and quite sensible with regards to how it co-ordinates its elements. The key to its success is modularity. Everything seems optional, yet almost everything is fun to do. So whilst a masterpiece such as San Andreas may offer a complete ecosystem, there will inevitably be activities, levels and side missions which are not particularly exciting. But in Saints Row IV, the developers didn't feel the need to make the world seem coherent and well-rounded. So everything in Saints Row IV is fun, but optional. Even the main story is optional! This non-linear approach is surely what sets open-world games apart (by definition). From a more technical perspective, Saints Row IV runs very well with negligible issues. For a game as rich as this, it is indeed baffling how the quality can be to such a mainstream standard. The options for controls, graphics and audio are also commendable and non-limiting. Visually, the game doesn't look too bad on Ultra with some awesome lighting effects, draw distance and scale, yet for an open-world game isn't too demanding. The facial detail is laughably bad - surprising given the in-depth character customisation, but this may be intentional. Finally, I'd like to round off by applauding the soundtrack. Saints Row IV has some of the most well-chosen soundtracks for an open-world game, and uses it ingeniously at times. In summary, Saints Row IV is the definition of a sandbox game. If someone asked me what the two best sandbox games are, I would say San Andreas (the best game of all time) and Saints Row IV. Expand
  87. Jul 13, 2014
    This is a really dumb game with a lot of interesting content. Perhaps not as strong a plot or as original as Saints Row 3 and a little lazy in some ways, in that some elements of that game are repeated but for sheer fun it delivers, the powers making this a crazy super-hero experience in an insane world with humorous characters and cut scenes that I actually watched and enjoyed. A personal favourite was hearing my lead character sing along with another character on the way to a mission. I genuinely found this to be a fun game, moral elements aside and I would have liked to see more, though suspect this might be the end of the road for the series, despite it being a lot more fun that the GTA games. Expand
  88. Dec 1, 2013
    Saints Row 4 takes the already up to 11 Saints row 3 and turns it up by another 11 up to 22. If you thought SR3 was too ridiculous this will put you the hell off as it' even more insane. However, I absolutely love it. It has a gun that shoots Dubstep at people FFS!
  89. Nov 5, 2013
    Saints Row IV cannot be taken seriously. It is a game made for simply having fun, which is what more games should focus on. Had me laughing constantly and the amount of progress there is to be made and customization is very impressive. Definitely not the next GTA but it's a hilarious game with some very unique elements that will leave you laughing all throughout.
  90. Nov 6, 2013
    I love this game! It's exactly what it tells you: you're entering the matrix. What do you expect, specially when it comes to Saints Row? It's pure chaos, nonsense, superpowers and tons of different things to do (like very surprising mini-games). I have to repeat it, I love it!
    I've seen people comparing it to previous releases, I've played and like SR3, for instance. And I think that
    those who disliked what SR4 has become should play GTA instead, Saints Row has always been an insane and not serious game. As someone said here it's a mix and a zeitgeist of popculture (even 8 and 16-bits-ish have been not forgotten).
    If you like superpowers, sci-fi (I could say low-fi here) and loads of fun this game is for you!
    Pros:
    - amazing gameplay
    - fun
    - superpower with the freedom to use them the way you always wanted with your superheroes, but never been allowed to
    - interesting story
    - great soundtrack
    - incredible mini-games
    Cons
    - same graphics as in SR3 (though now they have the matrix fx)
    - less sense of humor than SR3 in some aspects (eg. the nonsense weapons are less fun)
  91. Nov 18, 2013
    Are you a fun-haver, or a fun-hater? That is the only question you should ask yourself when considering whether to purchase this game.

For those that played the prious Saint's Row games, this game provides a solid call-back to previously unsettled plot lines, gives humorous looks at the old crew, and provides a surprisingly charming look at the inter-personal relationships and growth of
    the Saint's crew members.

For everyone else it's just sheer over-the-top ridiculous fun. The controls are fantastic and the game plays smoothly even on older hardware. Coop is reliable and even more satisfying than going it alone. The fact that pretty much every single mission from start to finish is coop friendly is extra icing on an already delicious psychopathic cake.

The only real issue I have with this game is that there is a bit of monotony on the various side missions available. The game does a good job in breaking it up with the homie chatter, but it does start to wear after the third or fourth "go here, kill them" mission. Then again, it's always fresh and fun if you have a coop partner.
  92. Nov 17, 2013
    A great game. Yep, this games seems like "The Saints Row Third" dlc, but it's totally worth playing, if you know what you are expecting from this game. It's just for fun. Don't expect it to have plot and characters like "GTA", but you can expect funny superhero gameplay, the humour and lots of funny connections to other famous games and movies.
  93. Jan 19, 2014
    I didn't think it could get more over the top than SR3, but I was wrong. Sure, it's basically the same game as before, now with super powers, but why mess with a winning formula. They cut out a lot of the tedious bits from the previous game and I thought the side quests were much better this time around. I will say that it's significantly buggier than the third. I had a lot of coop issues with the game crashing or not syncing both players. And the Christmas DLC is pretty weak. Expand
  94. Nov 30, 2013
    This game is a MUST HAVE if you have a sense of humor, aren't a prude and love action. It beats the competition by miles. Here's what not to expect: - The use of M.F. every 5 seconds for no apparent purpose. - The use of racial slurs every 6 seconds for no apparent purpose. - Incentives to murder the good guys (SR4 gets around this neatly but it would be a spoiler to explain).

Here's what to expect:
    - Excessive use of ridiculous humour everywhere.
    - Unrelenting action.
    - An almost infinite number (if you do the math its a VERY BIG NUMBER) of permutations for character customization.
    - The use of the profanity but minimally. The player isn't mindlessly bombarded with it.
    - Plenty of sexual based humour. If you find sex offensive then fine but try and leave the Sunday School "sex is bad" at Sunday School and you'll see the humour in it.
    - Bizarreness in the extreme.
    - Did I mention it's completely BIZARRE yet?

BUY this game. you won't regret it
  95. Feb 21, 2014
    Its Wacky, its Crazy, its Saints Row IV.

Saints Row IV at no point fails to meet predecessors (and surpass them), The story is great if you're willing to let it be, The Superpowers added are a breath of fresh air and fun from the serious video game worlds we are used to, not too be thought of as game breaking or overpowered, in fact, the traditional approach of 'Get the Guns, Shoot the
    Guns' works better than your superpowers, the variety in everything, from customization in your cribs, to your character, to your cars, to your weapons, is something to be admired.

However Saints Row IV's major slipping point is its re-use of the City of Steel port, a rather generic and boring industrial city but that's just nitpicking, any city is funner when you can fly naked over it.

The almost constant bombardment of parodies can sometimes get obscure, it sometimes feels like a 1/4 of the game is just pointing at Hollywood and yelling 'Ha!' but if you're attracted by that, then feel free to enjoy it, i sure did.

Overall Saints Row IV is like a fine lady, you can give it respect but all its going to do is devour your time and cause you to go crazy. (but hey, at least you'll fit with the style of the game then!)
  96. Nov 17, 2013
    This game is a mix of prototype and saint row 3 to make one of the best games ever made. The characters are funny and likeable. The gameplay is amazing. It is one of best superhero games ever!
  97. Jan 20, 2014
    Info for the people who are looking for the good GTA clone - you won't find it here. You will get a really awesome experience, which can not be described with the words - everything you need to know is the "FUN" word. This game would be 10/10 if it had no bugs and glitches like getting randomly stuck while using superpowers.
  98. Sep 21, 2013
    I pre-purchased this game, because i played Saints Row 3 alot and i really enjoyed it. I saw alot of discussions about the fact that Saints Row 4 was based on a DLC, but i decided to give it a shot anyway. And i didn't get dissapointed in any way.
    First of all i love actionpacked and crazy games, which is just what SR4 is! People are talking about how easy the game is with the new super
    powers, but i'm on the way through the game on hardcore difficulty, and i'd say it actually offers a fairly good challenge. Im really satisfied with the new options super powers offers, and the only downside i've seen is that cars are pretty much useless now.
    There've also been alot critic because some people thinks it's just Saints Row 3 over again, and i must say, pretty much the only thing they haven't changed too much is the world. There's new weapons, new clothes, new activites, superpowers, the possibility to paint your weapons and much, much more. I know there's some basic things they haven't changed either, but that's what makes Saints Row Saints Row, isn't it? I would also love a new or just bigger world, but considering the short deadline Deep Silver gave Volition at last, i'm pretty satisfied that they atleast made some changes in the city.
    All in all i think this is a great sandbox games that you can spend alot time playing. I wasn't sure if i should give the game 8 or 9, but i felt that the average was a lil' low so i decided to go for the 9 out of 10. Good Job Volition!
  99. Oct 29, 2013
    Saints Row 1 was a boring GTA wannabe. Saints Row 2 was a fun GTA wannabe. Saints Row 3 was an over-glorified sex joke with very few improvements. Saints Row 4 is THE BEST SUPERHERO GAME I'VE PLAYED! As the series went on, it became less about serious story and more about hitting old ladies with giant while dressed as a hot dog, this game takes it further by allowing you to freeze, set fire to, crush, explode, electrify and shoot people with dup-step guns, and then hit them with an over-sized tentacle!
    Add in a lot of references to the Matrix, and a lot of awesome guns, and this game earns a 9 out of 10 from me.
  100. Sep 24, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. this game is sooooo awesome...i hardly get any chance to sleep...the focus on powers really adds some spice to the game. the only bummer is that the Earth got destroyed, so in the next Saint Rows game,i dont expect to be on Earth Expand

1. Oct 28, 2013
    A combination of sublime and ridiculous, Saints Row IV is outlandish fun. [Nov 2013, p.97]
  2. Oct 5, 2013
    Saints Row IV is wild and wacky, but also provides first class entertainment. [Sept 2013]
  3. Sep 10, 2013
    The fourth part in the Saints Row saga is an outrageous, silly and incredibly entertaining adventure. The days of Grand Theft Auto is since long gone and the game reminds you rather of the super hero games Crackdown and Infamous. An unexpected but welcome change.