Sam & Max Episode 101: Culture Shock PC

• Release Date: Oct 18, 2006
8.4

1. NickG.
    Dec 10, 2006
    This is a great puzzle-type adventure game. The puzzles are amusing and can be logically worked out, the humor is entertaining, and the graphics are pretty decent. My only complaint is short the game is even for just being a single episode in the series. It can easily be beat in a day.
  2. JacobP.
    Nov 12, 2007
    Excellent game, it lives up to the expectations fans have had since the original game in '93. A must have.
  3. PhilP.
    Jan 2, 2007
    Could have been a little longer but it took me about as long to beat as Half-Life 2 episode 1 took, and at like half the price, I say it is well worth it. I missed this kind of adventure puzzle game play, I am glad tell tale picked it up - I have already paid for the entire "season" and am eagerly awaiting the next episode.
  4. Dec 27, 2014
    This one is a bit tricky to pin down since it's the first episode. It's so long a ago I played the original game it's hard to make any meaningful comparison between them. I do however get some added nostalgic value out of this just because it's Sam & Max game and mostly very well made one also.

As stand-alone game it gets many things right. Dialog is funny, the environment and characters are wacky (although maybe somewhat less so than in the original game) and most puzzles can be solved without resorting to walkthrough every five minutes. Items are also used sparingly and are typically easy to find. There's really no puzzles where you have to guess which two of your 50 items need to be combined or situations where you can't find some critical item since you clicked wrong pixel.

This is the longest of the three first episodes (haven't played the rest yet). Mostly because you spend a bit more time on exploring and learning stuff. Still, it can easily be played in one evening. Story-wise this might be the weakest of the three, but it doesn't really matter at this point.

1. I was pleased to find that SME1 contains all of the humor, atmosphere, and genuine fun of the previous game.
  2. A game worthy of the name Sam & Max. Even better is the fact that we'll be getting more every month for the next six months! I'll say it again, Sam & Max: Culture Shock is a must-buy.
  3. It’s good to see Sam & Max back in action, but the fun is over all too quickly. Let’s hope the plot improves in the next episode.