7.6

1. May 15, 2013
    This is a great game, I love the way it improves on Sanctum 1 and tried to build on some story elements. I love the focus on upgrading towers and how it blends the FPS elements with the TD elements making neither one completely useless.

I have still been able to sit back and watch my towers, however when I shoot something I now know that they feel it. The UI Seems to be vastly

The UI Seems to be vastly improved as well, cleaning up the rough edges around the first games UI and making it easier to track for newer player.

I hope this is the start of a blossoming and wonderful Sanctum franchise branching into many areas for our enjoyment.
  2. Loc
    May 16, 2013
    The low user scores are not fair in my opinion, they pushed me to register here on Metacritic and give my own review.

My first impression after playing 4 maps with my Sanctum veteran friends is really good. We had tons of fun figuring out how to play this new version of Sanctum. I agree it's quite different from S1, but that doesn't necessarily have to be a bad thing. You can expect

You can expect beautiful and detailed map design, leveling up your character unlocking new stuff which is very motivating. One has to come up with new strategies now that enemies can attack you, pulling them to a lightening tower can be quite effective for example :)

The ressource thing was no issue for us as we just did it round robin style, but I can imagine this being a problem in public games.

Yeah you can only use 10 towers on a map, but the wave numbers have been reduced too, so I believe they thought this whole thing through, we will see at later levels or when adding perks. It comes down to more coordination, which is a great thing if you play with people you know.

We all like it a lot so far (only 2 hours in) and I can absolutely recommend to buy it, especially at this low base price.
  3. May 15, 2013
    Sanctum 2 take most of what made Sanctum good and expand on it to become even better. There's now 4 characters you can choose from, you have a level to get new guns/towers and perks, a lot of different maps (16 currently). Why it has 8 and not 10 is because we are very strictly limited on the number of tower (10) but the tower do makes a different but overall, i feel like this is too fewSanctum 2 take most of what made Sanctum good and expand on it to become even better. There's now 4 characters you can choose from, you have a level to get new guns/towers and perks, a lot of different maps (16 currently). Why it has 8 and not 10 is because we are very strictly limited on the number of tower (10) but the tower do makes a different but overall, i feel like this is too few for survival mode. There's also some improvements that could be made in co-op with the way resources are used and the way we select a game. All in all, I prefer this game to the previous one because enemy are more aware of you, the level system make you feel like you are progressing in the game and the sheer number of gun/tower/perk is pretty awesome IMO. Expand
  4. May 16, 2013
    sanctum 2 is like a chilled out steely dan song, seemingly shallow, but accessible, at first but dig deep into it and you find all sorts intricacies, grooves, earworms and love
  5. May 15, 2013
    The game based on its own merits is a good one. The lambasting its getting because people are pissed off that it isn't just more of Sanctum 1 is unwarranted. I'm sorry, but if you think this is just Sanctum 1 "downgraded," you don't know about video games.

1. Limited towers increases strategic placement. 2. Towers can only be upgraded 3 times, but resources can continually be dumped

1. Limited towers increases strategic placement.
    2. Towers can only be upgraded 3 times, but resources can continually be dumped into level 3 towers to increase their attack power.
    3. Having resources only going to 1 person, while on the surface seems bad, avoids the situation in Sanctum 1 where someone has nowhere to put their resources because they aren't using the same towers as someone else, and can't contribute to upgrade/building towers.
    4. Folks complaining about the FPS vs TD elements are just out of their minds. FINALLY in this game, the FPS element is balanced such that you don't become a useless "moving tower" in the final waves. You are always able to contribute to what's going on on the battlefield.

I could go on, but I know I'm part of the "silent majority" that likes this game for what it is, and find it a large improvement in production value and gameplay.
  6. May 17, 2013
    First Note: This review has been updated with the new patch and at the bottom is a re-edited version of my review. This game is so much better now. A (E) Will be put at the start of edited sentences.

Sanctum 2 is a game I feel gets more slack than it deserves. People weren't expecting what it turned out to be and were expecting it to be DLC rather than an actual sequel. I think that this game is perfectly fine. It's a good, hell, a great game! It still gives me the feeling I'm playing Sanctum and has some improvements that I think are for the best. However, I still am able to see some pretty flaws with the game that do somewhat sour the experience. First, the improved stuff. The gameplay has been changed quite a bit. There is a tower limit, weaker towers, and NPCs. I find this perfectly fine as the game now feels more like the game needs me rather than it could use my help on the rare occasion a sweet spot enemy strolls by. The game kinda has a story now, which is nice because it gives me something to think about as I play. There are new classes, allowing for you to choose your way of fighting, and you can actually die, allowing for you to feel more vulnerable. (E) The resources problem has been fixed with allowing everyone to get materials, improving Co-Op immensly. (E)The tower limit has been improved to 15, a much more manageable number however small it seems. The keyboard controls are a little stupid, considering the originals were much better. That's all I have to say on the matter and on the whole, I really liked Sanctum 2. It might not be so welcome to others, but I love it!

In all, the new update raised my score and I think the game is just incredible now. The only parts that kick me is the controls and the lack of a server browser. Besides that, it's spectacular.
  7. May 15, 2013
    Better gameplay than the first, but with strange dynamics that should not have been implemented.
    -set resources per wave
    -you have to collect resources at start of round -you can only have 10 towers However I do like the new level system and drop-in-drop-out multiplayer. Unlocks and perks are great and a ways to make the game even harder than it already is. Sanctum 2 had improved
    -set resources per wave
    -you have to collect resources at start of round
    -you can only have 10 towers

Sanctum 2 had improved in some areas, but failed in others though this does not make it any less addictive.
  8. Oct 27, 2013
    It's like Halo, Call of Duty and tower defense all in one. With in depth RPG elements that make Dungeon Defenders look like pong, and an end game comparable to that of Diablo III. 10/10 would buy again.
  9. Oct 27, 2013
    If dubstep were to music what the American revolution was to politics than this game is to video games what the Kama Sutra was for the asian population. Where should I start? The deep rpg elements? The fast paced realistic fps experience? The sense of accomplishment when you finish in co-op like an impotent man climaxing for the first time in years? This game has it all, and then some! TheIf dubstep were to music what the American revolution was to politics than this game is to video games what the Kama Sutra was for the asian population. Where should I start? The deep rpg elements? The fast paced realistic fps experience? The sense of accomplishment when you finish in co-op like an impotent man climaxing for the first time in years? This game has it all, and then some! The new dlc is phucking awesome, borderlands 2 and gearbox could learn a thing or two from this indie studio! I would definitely repurchase this game again! If only all my friends didn't already have it! Give it a try, change your life, kifloom! Expand
  10. Feb 17, 2014
    Let me start off with a little something. I see a lot of people complaining about the differences between Sanctum 1 and Sanctum 2. I've played both of them, as well as Super Sanctum TD, and I have enjoyed all of them. I'm not going to argue with people who complain the game isn't exactly like the first one, as that is a legitimate concern. Imagine playing Halo 1 and 2, but instead you getLet me start off with a little something. I see a lot of people complaining about the differences between Sanctum 1 and Sanctum 2. I've played both of them, as well as Super Sanctum TD, and I have enjoyed all of them. I'm not going to argue with people who complain the game isn't exactly like the first one, as that is a legitimate concern. Imagine playing Halo 1 and 2, but instead you get Halo 3: ODST. I can understand that. But at the same time, if that does happen, take the new game on it's own freaking merits. I wouldn't give ODST a 0 because it's not like 1 and 2. I'd rate it on it's own. Rating a game on it's predecessors is okay, but at the same time, to weight the whole score on them is a mistake. Be comparative, but don't be unfair.

Sanctum 2 is, even when compared to its previous installment, a great game. It's a lot of fun, just like Sanctum 1. There are a lot of changes, so I'd suggest a little personal research before making your final decision if you are a veteran of the first one, as they are quite extensive, but not necessarily bad. Some features were taken out and some more were added. But I would still recommend checking it out in any case. It takes a genre I am not that great at (TD) and adds in aspects of something I am good at (FPS), and allows me to supplement the TD aspects with my FPS capabilities, and in the process, produces a nice, but not impossible challenge, and a lot of fun. If possible, I would also suggest getting the DLC as well. One of the few games I would ever recommend getting DLC for.

Also, a lot of the reviews from people on here seem to contain false information, such as resource amounts, tower caps, multiplayer experiences and so on, as if they played the tutorial level and nothing else. Not saying they are all wrong, but I've seen quite a few negative reviews with numbers and info I know to be absolutely wrong from playing constantly with friends recently.
  11. Oct 12, 2013
    Great graphics, great gun play, beautiful art style, challenging levels. Would strongly recommend it for fans of Tower Defense games and FPS games. The game makes you think, you need to do so much more than left clicking in order to beat the more challenging levels, and there are plenty levels like that.
  12. Oct 30, 2013
    Well thought out and implemented sequel, doesn't just take new textures and add them to an old engine, OK the switch from Single Player & CO-OP to just CO-OP is a little bit off a loss but this game is an extremely worthy sequel.
  13. Nov 26, 2013
    Sanctum 2 is really nice mix of styles. FPS and Tower Defense mix very effectively in this good game that will hook you if you are a fan of these genres. Not exactly a masterpiece, but a very enjoyable game that is worth its price. although some people that played the first one find this one much worst, I can almost assure you that this game will be a fun way to spent at least 15-20 hoursSanctum 2 is really nice mix of styles. FPS and Tower Defense mix very effectively in this good game that will hook you if you are a fan of these genres. Not exactly a masterpiece, but a very enjoyable game that is worth its price. although some people that played the first one find this one much worst, I can almost assure you that this game will be a fun way to spent at least 15-20 hours of your time, no matter what you expect of it.

Good game 76/100
  14. Dec 7, 2013
    I picked up this game for cheap not really expecting much more than something to do while I was bored. This turned out to be one of the most enthralling game experiences (especially co-op with friends) that I have ever experienced. If you have friends who like the first person defense shooter strategy genre of games, then this will give you hours of fun. I played it for a solid 4 hoursI picked up this game for cheap not really expecting much more than something to do while I was bored. This turned out to be one of the most enthralling game experiences (especially co-op with friends) that I have ever experienced. If you have friends who like the first person defense shooter strategy genre of games, then this will give you hours of fun. I played it for a solid 4 hours straight with my friend last night and I couldn't wait to play it again today. This game might not be for everyone, but I absolutely loved it. Expand
  15. Dec 14, 2013
    I don't see another game that combines shooter and tower defence.
    I think that very cool game: it's have good graphics, well story, single player and perfect multiplayer. And what else is needed for a good game?
    Especcialy pleassure play with friends!!!
  16. Jan 26, 2014
    Very good hybrid. BEST GAME EVER! Not much more to say its a fps tower defence game. Pure genius and runs good graphics on bad computers. Some monsters get annoying but the quality of the game makes up for it
  17. Jan 29, 2014
    It´s a great mixture of FPS and Tower Defense. You have unlockable weapons and towers which gives you a good longtime-motivation. You can play 4 characters (with the 4€ DLC 5) and a lot of maps. The only negative thing is the Matchmaking, somtimes you have a very bad Ping.
  18. Feb 13, 2014
    Please, please, PLEASE DISREGARD THE REVIEWS of the whiny users who were horribly surprised that this is actually a DIFFERENT GAME than the original sanctum. They were obviously hooked on the original (which was an awesome game) and expected more of the same. YES, THIS GAME IS DIFFERENT. However, the developers capitalized on many of the unique features that made the first one great.Please, please, PLEASE DISREGARD THE REVIEWS of the whiny users who were horribly surprised that this is actually a DIFFERENT GAME than the original sanctum. They were obviously hooked on the original (which was an awesome game) and expected more of the same. YES, THIS GAME IS DIFFERENT. However, the developers capitalized on many of the unique features that made the first one great. While there is more FPS qualities in this game, the people who dislike that seem to forget that about 70-80% of all kill and damage are still attributed to towers. While the character's shooting plays a crucial role in surviving each wave, the towers and strategy are equally if not more important. IF YOU WANT A TOWER DEFENSE GAME, THEN GO AND BUY ONE. This game is a tower-defense, first-person shooter HYBRID. To me, it feels even more balanced than the original game. Additionally, the developers have fixed many of the issues that users didn't like, including expanding the tower cap to 15 and removing the location-based resource drops. This game loses one point because some of the bosses are a little overpowered, and some can even destroy your defenses. However, I loved this game, and it is totally worth buying. (Pro tip: if you turn the gamma way up, the colors become much more vivid and the whole thing looks awesome). Expand
  19. May 16, 2013
    Sanctum 2 is a brilliant game, and an amazing sequel. Coffee Stain Studios did a bang up job of fixing the bugs and various mechanical issues that plagued the first game. The ladder especially applies to how they game the player a more active role when it comes to defending the core.

The low scores this game is receiving is a shame, and the asswipes responsible need to get a life. I feel that the current scoring of 4.5 does not accurately reflect the game. These reviewers are not being fair to others or to the developers by giving such a bias and deluded opinion.
  20. May 16, 2013
    At last the FPS nostalgics are always about, and it's an improvement. Not as bad as it first sounds, but also not as good as they thought when they released it, or they wouldn't have, I hope
  21. May 18, 2013
    Sanctum 2 is bigger prettier and more intense than predecessor and while it is still a FPS TD it is rather different feel to how the game plays mostly because creeps attack you.

Sanctum 2 is not just a expanded version of original Sanctum. Its a different game in many aspects. Its obvious that many critics here haven't really played the game but are just nagging with low scores because S2 isn't what they expected.

Another issue some are wining about are resource issues which have been substantially improved in just the first patch. now it is 15 towers and resources are shared in multiplayer.

GG
  22. May 24, 2013
    Ignore the negative reviews. Virtually every single last complaint they have has been fixed in the last two major patches! And the game has been out less than 10 days! Imagine all they can accomplish to perfect this already amazing game in the months to follow.
  23. May 16, 2013
    Sanctum 2 is a very worthy sequel, the limitations on maze building I feel ultimately benefit this game. It creates a focus on strategy and is a way to immerse the player in the action. In Sanctum 1 the enemies would just ignore you, and you could level up your maze to the extent that all you had to do was sit back and watch. That doesn't make for good gameplay. Thankfully that is allSanctum 2 is a very worthy sequel, the limitations on maze building I feel ultimately benefit this game. It creates a focus on strategy and is a way to immerse the player in the action. In Sanctum 1 the enemies would just ignore you, and you could level up your maze to the extent that all you had to do was sit back and watch. That doesn't make for good gameplay. Thankfully that is all fixed in Sanctum 2. My only complaints are Skyes redesign and the lack of a reload animation. Expand
  24. May 16, 2013
    Compared to Sanctum 1 this focuses a bit more on the shooter part than the tower defense part, it actually seems a bit more balanced between the two. Most of the new changes are nice (characters, weapons, leveling), others need a little work (timed build phase, resource management). Still a fun hybrid of First Person Shooter and Tower Defense.

Seems like a lot of people who think it

Seems like a lot of people who think it sucks just wanted an updated Sanctum 1 and didn't bother to look into the game before buying it. The resources and tower limit were both known about before release. You now have to think more about the placement of your towers and when to upgrade them. I agree the resources only going to one person is something that needs to be changed.

Would probably give this an 8-9, but giving it a 10 just to offset some of the people that somehow think Sanctum 2 is now a CoD clone.
  25. May 16, 2013
    Sanctum 2 has problems. When it hits the target (shooting mechanics, customization, art style) it's fantastic. But when it misses (tower limit, resource system, lack of nodes, terrible bosses-can-destroy-defenses) it something stinky. Still, despite the DLC gouging, CSS patched Sanctum 1 from something mediocre to something memorable. Let's hope they do the same and completely disregardSanctum 2 has problems. When it hits the target (shooting mechanics, customization, art style) it's fantastic. But when it misses (tower limit, resource system, lack of nodes, terrible bosses-can-destroy-defenses) it something stinky. Still, despite the DLC gouging, CSS patched Sanctum 1 from something mediocre to something memorable. Let's hope they do the same and completely disregard the horribly underpowered Xbox when they update the game. Expand
  26. May 16, 2013
    better graphics, better pacing, better towers, better strategy, better everything except the god awful resource system

fix that and the game would be a solid 8 (only rating this high because of all the negativity)
  27. May 16, 2013
    Despite the changes, Sanctum 2 is much better game than the first one. People seem to forget that original was broken in many more ways than one--Dungeon Defenders did everything Sanctum 1 did and it did it better. Sanctum 2 carves a place in gaming, and even though it's different from the original, it's far more original.
  28. May 16, 2013
    Look at those low scores those kids are giving. Unbelievable and unfair. Metacritic should use an age restriction to their system. Unfair, unrealistic scores are giving bad score to these guys. Yeah game is different than the first one as this is SANCTUM THE SECOND. is it hard to understand? Ofcourse there will be different factors. what you expect? if you dont love it dont give it too lowLook at those low scores those kids are giving. Unbelievable and unfair. Metacritic should use an age restriction to their system. Unfair, unrealistic scores are giving bad score to these guys. Yeah game is different than the first one as this is SANCTUM THE SECOND. is it hard to understand? Ofcourse there will be different factors. what you expect? if you dont love it dont give it too low score. a 6 or 7 should do it just fine. This game is good for itself. There is a DEMO, go try it before buying. dont put lame scores over here. Expand
  29. May 18, 2013
    Although I initially found the game to be a downgrade from the original, I then realized some of the nice changes. The 'perks' system allows for more playtime with a specific weapon set, as well as allowing the player to grow on a certain set. The smaller maps allow for more condensed and quick matches, and are a blast in co-op. However the running back for resources can be tedious, itAlthough I initially found the game to be a downgrade from the original, I then realized some of the nice changes. The 'perks' system allows for more playtime with a specific weapon set, as well as allowing the player to grow on a certain set. The smaller maps allow for more condensed and quick matches, and are a blast in co-op. However the running back for resources can be tedious, it doesn't truly detract from the experience as a whole. Expand
  30. May 27, 2013
    Sanctum 2 is a somewhat huge leap from its' predecessor. Adding co-op to the list of having fun plus all the other tweaks make this a must-have for td/fps lovers. I agree with many other reviewers on the fact that this game is heavy on co-op playing instead of single player. Nevertheless, even solo, this game is a beauty and will keep you occupied for much longer than the original one.Sanctum 2 is a somewhat huge leap from its' predecessor. Adding co-op to the list of having fun plus all the other tweaks make this a must-have for td/fps lovers. I agree with many other reviewers on the fact that this game is heavy on co-op playing instead of single player. Nevertheless, even solo, this game is a beauty and will keep you occupied for much longer than the original one. Dozen thumbs up I'll be waiting for Sanctum 3. Expand
  31. May 20, 2013
    Hello there, now I'd like to, let u know something about myself, i have bias, i loved sanctum 1 so when i heard sanctum 2 was coming out i was tripping balls, and i preordered it....sigh, however on the release date i regretted it immensely. I felt Sanctum 2 was a big let down in this hybrid fps-tower genere. THE resources weren't shared. This led to just throw a hissy fit, onHello there, now I'd like to, let u know something about myself, i have bias, i loved sanctum 1 so when i heard sanctum 2 was coming out i was tripping balls, and i preordered it....sigh, however on the release date i regretted it immensely. I felt Sanctum 2 was a big let down in this hybrid fps-tower genere. THE resources weren't shared. This led to just throw a hissy fit, on Facebook,-embarrassingly i know. I was shouting to the heavens what have you done with my beloved sanctum foolish developers. Then the patch came out and fixed a lot of the big issues i had with a problem with granted there are several glaring issues, perhaps to cater to people less new to the Sanctum, which isn't an excuse people have intelligence, I would suggest to look at what made sanctum a good game .

Here are the current flaws i have with it, to many guns have bad recoil, tone it down a bit.
    Two weapon limit cap, i want more options not less in this kind of game. I want to be able to play with my options, I find this inexcusable, for the pc version.
    Small map designs, smaller map hud.
    My biggest one is of course finding people i wish either a we can find a lobby listing the amount of people in the game or joining a game with a lot of people This is for me what make sanctum shine

The pros
    Variety of weapons to chose from
    Class and level up system (pro or con depending on where you stand on this )
    You actually get to fight enemies, here is the thing me and my good friend from san fran abused the crap out of the towers, the floor tiles- everything. However, we felt empty inside because we couldn't fire any bullets because the towers had killed them for us. Also at one point our weapons just became useless, so we had to rely on the towers towards late game anyways.

15 tower cap limit, which i find adds for more strategic placement vs, random placement
    more variety of aliens to fondle, with your guns :0
    You can actually die-yay for ze deaths

In short if you can look past these flaws then sanctum may be the game for you.
  32. Jun 10, 2013
    I'm a happy owner of both Coffee Stain Studios games... wait, there's actually three of them, and I have them all. And I played them all as well, so now I gonna tell what I think about it.

For first, I'm not a big fan of TD, just because I'm pretty bad with strategies. I've been not very happy then one my friend decided to gift me first Sanctum to play together. Still, I don't really regret his decision after just a few hours of him building and me shooting, I found that Sanctum is actually a pretty lot of fun. I have nice memories about time I spend on that game in company with my friend.

And then, for all the sudden, while we waited, first news about Sanctum 2 showed up! I've got not much wonders about what it can become, but I've been sure that I gonna take a loot of good time with my friend again, playing the new game. I was wrong.

The thing here, I think I'm now even more a fan of Sanctum 2 than my friend. This game became so amazing, I didn't even expected that. Even if there's no more slow field or towers that increases the power of every shot that goes through(I mean the ones that increases power of even players shots, they did amazing work in previous game), if I can't power up weapons anymore, it became the coolest thing I ever saw. New tower system are much easier for me to understand, new leveling system endlessly pushes me forward to get new perks, weapons and towers, while if I play with my friend, we can actually talk about tactics much more now, like what tower any of us going to take, what positions we must choose to shoot off enemies and how we gonna make the maze to apply maximum possible damage on enemies.

That thing became so awesome, and if I didn't finished it already, I still amazed and wonders what awaits me on the next stage. Storyline showed awesomely as well it's the best way to show what happens between fight, giving the player pages of greatly made comics. Only thing that it's can be kinda boring or not too funny to team up with random peoples... but it's actually doesn't makes a lot of problems for me as long as I have someone to play with.

Nicely done, Coffee Stain Studio. Can't wait for DLCs already.

Oh, and little notice for peoples complaining about Sanctum 2. Someone already pointed at it it's completely different game. It's not original Sanctum, it's not even close and it shouldn't. Because this difference, all the changes in balance are actually the thing that must be here. It's fine to play both alone and with your friend, even 4 towers is more than enough to make a good defence line, if you know what to do. So please, don't tell things like "New Sanctum is the bad game". It's a great game, there's just actually no good way to make everyone happy then not everyone happy with some changes.
  33. May 31, 2013
    I was slow to really like Sanctum 2, but after playing it for awhile, I have come to really warm up. At first multiplayer was crap because only 1 person would have resources. This has since been fixed. Thought many players are still bad at the game, it is much better than it was at release. Recommend people who left the game to try it again.

Graphics are phenomenal. Beautiful.

Graphics are phenomenal. Beautiful. Impressive environments. Lots of secrets that make it satisfying for me.

Combat is satisfying and the creatures' ability to fight back seems to be a nice change to the game (IMO).

Nice variety of towers. Nice effects from them as well. Maps have a big variety as well.

Biggest negative is that I don't know how replayable the game will be after you've beaten everything. So far, however, I've loved it for the majority of the time. Some maps are dreadful mostly maps that do not allow you to maze; though most maps do.
  34. Jun 22, 2013
    At first glance it seemed like a big failure compared to the first Sanctum, but after all these patches it's a really good game now. I recommend it to everyone who liked Sanctum.

I really like the fact that it's not that 'noob friendly' anymore, for example the enemies will attack and kill you now. But the biggest change is the weapon recoil. Doesn't feel like an dumb FPS anymore where you just have to hold the left mouse button in order to hit everything. But there's an easy mode for those who think it's too hard now.

There are a lot of things that have improved in Sanctum 2, so definitely give it a try if you liked Sanctum
  35. May 17, 2013
    They fixed a lot of the issues. The devs responded well and therefore they earn my respect. As a game in its current state I think it's much better. My friends and I have been enjoying it a lot more. Props to the devs for such a speedy and efficient update.
  36. May 18, 2013
    Fun to play, addicting and fresh; FP TD with the cheesiness to make it fun, but not overloaded on it. great game! didn't play the first one but this game sure made my day. Also cheep too!! 8)
  37. Jun 9, 2013
    I have played the original Sanctum since December of 2011, approximately eight months after its release and before anyone really knew of it's still discrete existence. I still think Sanctum 2 is a step up from Sanctum. At Sanctum 2's release, they did have many issues. Co-op really sucked, and still does. The towers are limited, taking away much of the TDF aspect of the game. The story isI have played the original Sanctum since December of 2011, approximately eight months after its release and before anyone really knew of it's still discrete existence. I still think Sanctum 2 is a step up from Sanctum. At Sanctum 2's release, they did have many issues. Co-op really sucked, and still does. The towers are limited, taking away much of the TDF aspect of the game. The story is kinda weak and necessary. The characters aren't necessary, but do add a nice touch to the game. And the FPS part is, and always have been better. I don't know why I like Sanctum 2 better than Sanctum. I just do. It IS more of an FPS than a TDF now, but that's still no real reason to hate it. It is fun. Though, I do recommend you play Sanctum before Sanctum 2. Just so you can experience it like most other people did. Expand
  38. Sno
    Jun 27, 2013
    A fantastic tower defence fps game. Hours of fun, well designed maps and an interesting story make for an awesome game. Almost everything that was wrong with the first Sanctum has been fixed in this version. Great job coffee stain studios!
  39. Jul 23, 2014
    First of all - If you like Sanctum 1 you will like it too (for me as minimum), it's same game with amazing improvements (characters, weapons, towers, maps, modern FPS RPG style atc...) + good story line for game this type, it becomes more active in Character gameplay and didn't lost "Sancum"s deep Tactical gameplay.
    Second, if you don't know what I'm talking about - it's the FPS tower
    Second, if you don't know what I'm talking about - it's the FPS tower defence, where you must make tactical decisions, build towers and also need to shoot enemies, it's amazing and deep Tactical game with FPS elements, where wins smart choice and teamplay, RPG style character improvements gives this game more strategic/tactical freedom (what skill to take, or what tower-weapons).
    Shortly - it's amazing game with quite cheap price for it, Really, 100% Recommend...
  40. May 20, 2013
    I usually don't use metacrit but the amount of kids giving ridiculous low scores to this game simply isn't fair with the game/ devs. If you actually take a look at the kind of player that is complaining about this game in the steam forums you will note that they didn't even play the game for more than half an hour.

Even here they are complaining about how you actually have to use your

Even here they are complaining about how you actually have to use your gun... well guess what? this is a FPS TD Hybrid if you tou sucks at FPS games dislike the genre then this obviously isn't a game you will enjoy.

Check the demo and (or) watch some youtube review/ let's play... it totally worth the money, ignore any review with a score below 6 because they are bull****.
  41. Sep 7, 2013
    Haven't even played this game yet, leaving it a 10 to counter all of the whiny little b1tch reviews I see here that are giving the game a 0 or 1 just because it's not like Sanctum 1. If you are giving games a 0 or 1 because it wasn't what you expected, without reviewing it on its own merits, delete your metacritic account right now. You don't deserve the privelige. The rest of us useHaven't even played this game yet, leaving it a 10 to counter all of the whiny little b1tch reviews I see here that are giving the game a 0 or 1 just because it's not like Sanctum 1. If you are giving games a 0 or 1 because it wasn't what you expected, without reviewing it on its own merits, delete your metacritic account right now. You don't deserve the privelige. The rest of us use this as a resource, not as an outlet for our nerd rage and feeling of entitlement. If you can't give an honest review of the game and put your preformed expectations aside, you literally aren't mature or intelligent enough to be using metacritic and are skewing the score the game deserves because of your entitlement and 'but mommy told me i'm a snowflake attitude', It's obviously not really a 0, that would be War Z or something...your 0 bring downs the honest 6's 7 and 8's more because of the heavy weight a 0 has. To wit, three 8's and a 0 drag the game down to a 6 average, when really the average player says it's an 8, and the whiny little b1tches says it's a 0. Expand
  42. Jun 5, 2013
    Sanctum 2 is a great predecessor of the original FPS tower defense game. What the first Sanctum lacked is made up for in this new sequel. The story can be played solo or in a 4 player co-op mode. However, you will not find yourself getting to far without some friends. Within the game you can choose up to 4 different characters and each character has a unique primary weapon (assault rifle,Sanctum 2 is a great predecessor of the original FPS tower defense game. What the first Sanctum lacked is made up for in this new sequel. The story can be played solo or in a 4 player co-op mode. However, you will not find yourself getting to far without some friends. Within the game you can choose up to 4 different characters and each character has a unique primary weapon (assault rifle, rocket launcher, sniper rifle and shotgun). Each primary weapon also has a secondary function. Ex. The Rocket Launcher can be fired in single fire or it can lock on 3 times and launch a barrage of missiles on the enemies. The use of these secondary functions can save your ass. Also, each player can have access to one secondary weapon and as you level up you unlock more. Each character also has the ability to hold a certain amount of towers so it is key to choose towers that are most effective together. As you level up you have access to more tower slots. Finally, you have your perks. Each perk does something different for example: If you land on an enemy you do 4000 damage. As you continue to level you unlock more perks and perk slots.

This is a great improvement from the original sanctum and gives you a lot more variety throughout the game. Enemies are not moronic now and will not ignore you. If you are in their way they will move you so be wary. Some of the levels within the game can be beaten in single player however I strongly recommend you play in a group since you will most likely will not be able to get through every level on your own. Once again, this game focuses a lot on co-op so for those of you who like to do things solo...well sorry.

Whilst the game is fun there are not many big parties out there to find so it is best you find some people to get on with. I find this frustrating for every time I go to find a match it will just throw me in a random game with 1 person who hasn't this slightest clue what he is doing. Another downside to this game is that you are only limited to 15 towers on the maps. With the size of some of the maps that is really not a lot. Especially if the enemies are coming from 2 or 3 directions. Also, the amount of funds and walls you get after each wave is not nearly enough to have any affect on the enemy waves. What does make up for this game is the FPS aspect and the load set builds. You will not find yourself just standing around as your towers decimate enemies. You will always be upfront blowing some weird alien into a million pieces. This makes the frustration seem just a little better.

Overall I think this is a great game to play and experience for both the FPS and the strategy aspects.
  43. Dec 31, 2013
    Sanctum 2 dials in on the fps side of the equation in this hybrid tower defense game and as far as I'm concerned it's awesome. Fans of the original lost some of the detail with map building and customization but I am hoping that future installments will again expand on this aspect of the game. There is a lot of game here though and you will get deep into it trying to find the optimumSanctum 2 dials in on the fps side of the equation in this hybrid tower defense game and as far as I'm concerned it's awesome. Fans of the original lost some of the detail with map building and customization but I am hoping that future installments will again expand on this aspect of the game. There is a lot of game here though and you will get deep into it trying to find the optimum floorplan/character loadout to complete challenges. I have just as much fun playing solo as multiplayer, not sure what people are complaining about here. As far as I know you can complete all the maps solo if you are good enough and have unlocked the top tier stuff. I was able to solo all of the original game content so far. There is plenty of replayability with higher difficulty settings and survival mode. Sanctum 2 is a lot of fun and if you pass it up you'll be missing out on some of the best gaming to be had. Expand
  44. May 3, 2014
    Definitely a fun game. There are so many different weapons, towers and maps that you have a lot to try out. If you don't want to play the game normally, you can still mess around with the sandbox mode or try an additional challenge by playing with the feats of strength. Also, you can play with up to 3 other people, so this game is really worth the money.
  45. May 20, 2013

Even here they are complaining about how you actually have to use your

1. Sep 10, 2013
    The second entry in the Sanctum series continues exploring the odd mix of tower defense and first person shooter. The mechanics in the sequel are solid if a bit too simple to invite a deeper engagement. Still as a co-op game it excels in places that few games do.
  2. Jul 18, 2013
    Sanctum 2 is a good game, especially if you have friends to play it with, but if there is a Sanctum 3 in the future then I hope the developers take a more critical, iterative approach to their craft.
  3. Jul 17, 2013
    While the first game was an enjoyable proof of concept, Sanctum 2 is that idea realized. A great experience all around, it brings the best of both the shooter and tower defense worlds together. Try to bring along a couple of friends for the adventure though, as they will make it exponentially more enjoyable.