6.8

1. Mar 12, 2014
    A TD FPS hybrid? It doesn't sound like much. A wave defender TD game but with a controllable character with a gun? Naw. I sighed when I heard about it. But it's not a half bad game. The guns (though few) are all really fun and all have pros and cons, so you're going to want to adjust your loadout. Some monsters have weak points, so the sniper is great at exploiting them. The assault rifleA TD FPS hybrid? It doesn't sound like much. A wave defender TD game but with a controllable character with a gun? Naw. I sighed when I heard about it. But it's not a half bad game. The guns (though few) are all really fun and all have pros and cons, so you're going to want to adjust your loadout. Some monsters have weak points, so the sniper is great at exploiting them. The assault rifle picks the flyers out of the sky, and the tesla gun just shocks everything. The towers themselves are well balanced as well. Some only target flying monsters, and you might not wanna use up your space on them, but when a swarm of flyers come you're going to wish you prepared a tower or two to rip through them. Some target weak points, some just kill. Some target air and land, but don't really do anything remarkable to each.
    Downsides: Graphics are generally good, but I found some dated texture work, which isn't really THAT bad, but still. Too few guns, Too Few towers, Only a few strategies for each map, overall it earned a 7.
  2. Dec 28, 2013
    I found this game highly entertaining to play within my group of friends and the gaming stttyle was easy to play with and i found that the game could be very entertaining with single player also. However, the game was very repetitive after a certain amount of time.
  3. Dec 11, 2013
    It is a fun Tower Defense Based game, with some neat shooter aspects in it.
    If you have some friends you can play with, this game is actually really fun and passable.
    Negative aspects: - For playing alone the 'not story mode' on anything other then 'easy' ist pretty much not doable. - The Mobs do ignore you whatever your doing, even if you shotgun them in the face. - The grid is
    It is a fun Tower Defense Based game, with some neat shooter aspects in it.

Negative aspects:
    - The grid is sometimes not fair for singleplayer due to too many routes.

Positive aspects:
    - The multiplayer is really fun, specially if you play with friends of yours
    - The possibilities to pass one level are nearly infinite
    - You can also play either only tower or only shooter I think there are even challenges for this )
    - Looks neat for the time and playes even on low level pc's
    - haven't met any problems with crashing This happens to me a lot, so I guess it works better for other people
  4. Nov 3, 2013
    An enjoyable tower defence/fps style game that while has some great game play and features can become a little repetitive.

Personally not quite my thing but those who are a fan of the genre and the tactics that will come with this will get plenty of value out of it and the unique fps aspect is also enjoyable.
  5. Oct 14, 2013
    Sanctum is a first-person shooter, tower defence game. Even though when I first picked up the game I enjoyed but playing more, and more of it I founded myself getting, more and more bored. This game has very low replay value after more then a few games. It get 's repetitive and only do I have fun when playing with friends. Playing by yourself or playing with one other friend still makesSanctum is a first-person shooter, tower defence game. Even though when I first picked up the game I enjoyed but playing more, and more of it I founded myself getting, more and more bored. This game has very low replay value after more then a few games. It get 's repetitive and only do I have fun when playing with friends. Playing by yourself or playing with one other friend still makes the game difficult to play and we tended to lose a lot. Even though this game is unique in it's own way I still find it boring.

This game isn't worth full price but I would defiantly pick it up if it's on a big sale. Wasted potential in my opinon. I haven't gotten the chance to play Sanctum 2 but it looks better then the original game and better. If you are going to choose between Sanctum and Sanctum 2 I will choose the sequel.
  6. May 16, 2013
    Towers are restricted to only 10 per map, even when playing coop. Resources aren't shared between players, so only one person can build per round.

Be warned; this game is a mediocre FPS with a bit of TD, not´╗┐ the other way around.
  7. May 13, 2013
    Ah, Sanctum. This game is quite an impressive game. I had heard about it a couple times on Steam before it was on sale at about $2.50. So I nabbed a copy and to my surprise, it was quite a curious beast. The game is a hybrid that you don't see much of. A First-Person Shooter/ Tower Defense game. Hybrids like these really are something to look at. It's like what Brutal Legend did to RTS,Ah, Sanctum. This game is quite an impressive game. I had heard about it a couple times on Steam before it was on sale at about $2.50. So I nabbed a copy and to my surprise, it was quite a curious beast. The game is a hybrid that you don't see much of. A First-Person Shooter/ Tower Defense game. Hybrids like these really are something to look at. It's like what Brutal Legend did to RTS, made it possible for you to jump into the action yourself. However, UNLIKE Brutal Legend, Sanctum doesn't hide its Tower Defense elements. It fully embraces them. This game also has a small sense of humor and it's always a blast to play. The controls are nice, the game looks pretty, and the fighting is fun. So why isn't it perfect? Well I suppose a substance problem is what we have. I don't mean levels, it has plenty of those, but there isn't much more than the premise it promises. No story, no structure, just build and fight, build and fight, build and fight. After a while, the fun seems to diminish a little and becomes a game to take in small doses. It leaves you with questions. "Why are these aliens attacking us?" you might ask. "Shut up and just shoot them." the game will respond. Very few games can get away with a single trait and unfortunately, Sanctum doesn't quite deliver. Maybe if the combat was a tad more fun or the enemies tried attacking me by stopping for a good tussle rather than running jihad style toward my core. In short though, the game is lots of fun and will entertain you for hours and the game delivers on what it offers in such an amusing manner, I feel generous for it, but if you're looking for substance or story, you might be left disappointed, but grab the game anyway. Even if it's on sale. Expand
  8. Feb 18, 2013
    Pretty fun TD game. I love shooters and TD games so this fits right in. The combat feels smooth and the graphics are decent enough. The level variety is also pretty good and none of the levels feel like they are just a repetition of a previous level. The only downside is that you have to buy the complete pack with all the DLCs if you want a complete game experience. Fortunately, thatPretty fun TD game. I love shooters and TD games so this fits right in. The combat feels smooth and the graphics are decent enough. The level variety is also pretty good and none of the levels feel like they are just a repetition of a previous level. The only downside is that you have to buy the complete pack with all the DLCs if you want a complete game experience. Fortunately, that doesn't cost much more than the base game. Expand
  9. Jan 16, 2013
    Wasn't for me. I love tower games but this was too much of a first person action for me. I also love FPS games like Mass Effect, but here you have to constantly turn, look up and down... if you get motion sickness, you'll probably play it as long as I did after I purchased it. One run, about 5 minutes, and then deleted it.
  10. Jan 16, 2013
    Simple and quite addicting tower-defence game. It goes on sale often so you can get the full package with all DLC-s for 5$ with very little trouble. Also they added new maps and integrated DLC weapons/towers into base game so the reviews about lack of content are outdated - I haven't even completed everything from first map pack yet and haven't touched anything from the second one.
    I've
    I've spent over 30h with the game and I am still coming back from time to time. Co-op isn't a must, I've played some multiplayer but the best fun I am having is in single-player.
  11. Jan 3, 2013
    First person Tower Defense with a focus on co-op. Without a friend to play this with it gets very repetitive and slow. The devs have added a lot of post-launch content in the form of new weapons and maps (both paid and free) and regular updates for bug fixes and seasonal events. Worth picking up with a friend but solo it won't last you very long unless you're a die-hard Tower Defense fan.
  12. Dec 28, 2012
    Overall, this is a very good game. As a fan of tower defense games, I found it interesting yet refreshing to play a game that adds the element of a first person view.

Pros of the game: It has very engaging game play and intriguing stage layouts that offer a nice variety on a traditional theme; there's a decent selection of towers and weapons, each with unique but distinguishing characteristics; It's the perfect level of difficulty. You'll really think and have to apply strategy on each map to knock down all the waves but it is never too difficult that you'll want to rage quit; the controls are straightforward; it let's you play co-op across an internet connection (I love this feature, many times I've teamed up with friends that own the game hand have steam accounts). Cons of the game: As you get towards the end waves, the game can lag hard with hordes of monsters flooding the screen; it saves with checkpoints (about once every three waves) and does not let you save the game after each completed wave; the game occasionally quits unexpectedly (might be my computer though) which is annoying when you can't save after each wave. The Bottom Line: For tower defense fans or anyone that might enjoy a strategic FPS, this is a great game that will get you a lot of bang for your buck.
  13. Dec 3, 2012
    Right now (December 2012) his game has 6 weapons, 15 Totally different towers, 8 maps, and more than 10 different enemies. Thats a lot of content. You can buy 7 more maps at low cost and then you will have a BIG game. My steam account says I have spend 230+ hours in this game and Im not tired of it yet. I play mostly alone, but multiplayer is very good when you have some friends to shareRight now (December 2012) his game has 6 weapons, 15 Totally different towers, 8 maps, and more than 10 different enemies. Thats a lot of content. You can buy 7 more maps at low cost and then you will have a BIG game. My steam account says I have spend 230+ hours in this game and Im not tired of it yet. I play mostly alone, but multiplayer is very good when you have some friends to share the game. Sanctum is well designed, balanced and beautiful. The monsters challenge you to build a good strategy and the towers allow you hundreds of setups for every map. This game is too fun, you can bet. Expand
  14. Nov 21, 2012
    Este juego es un excelente tower defense. Más calmado el sistema de combate que "Orcs Must Die!"(Omd!), pero muy desafiante. Me agrada como el escenario se comportará según de como diseñes la ubicación de las trampas, además hay que ser muy cuidadoso al elegir cuáles usarás y donde las pondrás. Tiene variedad de enemigos conEste juego es un excelente tower defense. Más calmado el sistema de combate que "Orcs Must Die!"(Omd!), pero muy desafiante. Me agrada como el escenario se comportará según de como diseñes la ubicación de las trampas, además hay que ser muy cuidadoso al elegir cuáles usarás y donde las pondrás. Tiene variedad de enemigos con distintos puntos débiles, por lo que debes ser rápido y adaptarte al estilo de juego para enemigos específicos. Cada escenario es un increíble reto, mucho más desafiante que Omd! Expand
  15. Oct 22, 2012
    Game is bearable, unless you are hunting for abundant secret spots / easter eggs, where broken jump mechanics completely ruin the experience. Not to mention walking through textures
  16. Sep 12, 2012
    You know what? I completed this **** game in less then 3 hours. When I played Dungeon Defenders, I was only in the first two levels in the first 3 hours of that. Luckily, I bought all the dlcs and the game when it was discounted for 5 bucks, so it wasn't THAT bad. I mean, can this game at least HAVE MORE CONTENT?????
  17. Aug 22, 2012
    It's a first person shooter, tower defense hybrid. If you like either genre, you'll probably enjoy it. However, it's much more satisfying with a few friends.
  18. Jul 22, 2012
    I'm a big fan of tower defence games and gave this a try as it was on Steam Sale. The controls are easy, but there is also a short tutorial. There are serveral tactics to be successful, some people just upgrade their weapons, other build more towers, but you always need a good maze. This flexibility is very great for the game, otherwise it would get some kind of boring after some time. II'm a big fan of tower defence games and gave this a try as it was on Steam Sale. The controls are easy, but there is also a short tutorial. There are serveral tactics to be successful, some people just upgrade their weapons, other build more towers, but you always need a good maze. This flexibility is very great for the game, otherwise it would get some kind of boring after some time. I would give it a 8, because they could have done some more monsters or towers. Whenever this is on sale, I suggest you to buy it. You won't regret it. Expand
  19. Jul 17, 2012
    Sanctum is a FPS / Tower Defense game that has you create mazes to thwart enemies from reaching your reactor. Even though it's a fun game to play it just misses the bullseye. Planning in Sanctum is crucial as you must build the longest path with the most twists and turns to win. Before the 1st round starts and after every subsequent round there is a pause that gives you time to rearrangeSanctum is a FPS / Tower Defense game that has you create mazes to thwart enemies from reaching your reactor. Even though it's a fun game to play it just misses the bullseye. Planning in Sanctum is crucial as you must build the longest path with the most twists and turns to win. Before the 1st round starts and after every subsequent round there is a pause that gives you time to rearrange and add to the maze. You the player decide when the next wave of enemies starts. The fact that there is no time limit on how long you can plan before waves made the game feel easier than it had to be. However, until most tower defense games that give a top down you have to walk everywhere you want to place torrents and blocks which is, I'm sure why they have no time limits. The game is built off the Unreal Engine and it shows a little too much for me. You can tell it from the color pallet, to the way the player moves, and how the guns handle. Not that any of this is a bad thing, but to me it felt like I was playing a mod more so than a stand-alone game. However, this is also kind of a good thing since, if you've ever played Unreal, you already know how control and shooting is going to work. Sound is the last part of this game that did it in for me. I never realized how much sound really meant for a game like this. You would expect a horde of aliens charging in a straight line down a path would at least sound terrifying. However it does not. The sense of dread or hopelessness is not there. Instead they quietly jog towards reactor making small groans and grunts when they die. Even your guns sound muted. It just takes you out of the experience and you feel like your watching an assembly line, not playing a game.

In total Sanctum is a descent game, not a great one. If you really want to try a tower defense that has you running around killing hordes than Orcs Must Die is your game. If you loved Orcs Must Die and are interested in this game you will probably find yourself feeling empty either half-way or once you beat it. It's just that challenging or immersive to hold your attention for long.
  20. May 17, 2012
    Great game, had fun, still have fun with it. BUT, it doesn't have that daily reason to go on. But when you do play, you play for hours. Replay value is kinda meh, the should do free updates imo to get more people interested in the game, however they choose to do DRM which is a huge downer for them.
  21. May 16, 2012
    When it comes to the tower defenses the choice of picking a game is big, whether on PC, console or handheld devices. But what if we add a FPS expirience to an already good tower defense ... we get Sanctum. Sanctum is perhaps one of the few indie tower defense games that are actually able to deliver to you a thrill and not only make you use your brain to think of how to set your turretsWhen it comes to the tower defenses the choice of picking a game is big, whether on PC, console or handheld devices. But what if we add a FPS expirience to an already good tower defense ... we get Sanctum. Sanctum is perhaps one of the few indie tower defense games that are actually able to deliver to you a thrill and not only make you use your brain to think of how to set your turrets which varies from standard gatling guns through mortars to anti-air, laser and lightning towers, but also gives you the chance to get down and personal with the monsters trying to move through your maze to the core which you must protect. How can one get down and personal ? Simple really - you get access to weapons from a standard AR with a grenade launcher mounted, a freeze gun which slows or freezes temporary the monsters you shoot the gun at (obviously) and many more weapons. The game features nice soundtracks fit to the maps and the art and physics of the animations are pretty well made. And if we take into account the 4 player co-op and several levels of difficulty - Sanctum is definetly a game worth buying and playing. If there is something this game lacks it's perhaps playerbase since not many people have interest in that genre and know about the game, and the other thing is the lack of tools to create our own maps which we could share with the community. Make no mistake though, despite those cons Sanctum will offer you a challenge which you won't forget ... until we all get our hands on Sanctum 2, of course :) Expand
  22. May 11, 2012
    Sanctum combines the classic tower defense game with FPS co-op. The players will build a maze on a map and construct guns of various types with various abilities. When the players are ready the spawns start - waves of different monsters will be incoming and the players will have to rely on their weapons and the deployed turrets to kill them and stop them from getting through the maze. WhenSanctum combines the classic tower defense game with FPS co-op. The players will build a maze on a map and construct guns of various types with various abilities. When the players are ready the spawns start - waves of different monsters will be incoming and the players will have to rely on their weapons and the deployed turrets to kill them and stop them from getting through the maze. When monsters die the players make money, which can be used to upgrade guns or existing turrets or build new ones.

The game is quite well executed (very few bugs) and the design is thought through and relies heavily on the normal tower defense games. The weapons are neat-looking, works as you expect them to work - you have three of them, a sniper, an assault rifle with grenades and a freezing gun that'll slow monsters. There is a certain variation of maps, but I never felt much of a change when switching between them - as you build the maze yourself, the maps will mostly just provide obstacles for the maze you would like to build. The game, however, got somewhat dull for me rather quickly. The incoming monsters don't offer much variation - the spawn order is random, so sometimes the only thing that can really threaten you is a spawn composed of 3 groups of the same type: as you have been dealing with varied threats you have made maze for varied incoming, so when a full spawn of flyers (that can only be shot by certain types of turrets) for instance show up, your turrets for shooting at the ground will be useless. Therefore the best investment is a high level gun, which turns the game more into a shooter than a builder. Also - maybe it's just my personal shortcomings, but I have a hard time getting beyond a fair percentage of the monsters looking like genitals.

In Sanctum I never get the "tower defense" experience of leaning back and watching your awesome killing zone at work as I constantly had to rush around killing the monsters that slipped through your maze. Turrets can NOT handle stuff on their own and will gladly fire away at the front of a monster that can only be wounded from behind or pumping hundreds of rounds of lead into the belly of someone who only takes damage from head shots. It's up to you to stop the enemies that will need accurate shots, and after a number of games I was sorely tired of trying to get "head" shots on the wobbly beings with balls on top of their necks. Did I mention that most of the monsters look like genitals?

Anyhow, Sanctum is a very well executed game that will be immensely funny at first but get rather boring in the long run. If you have some friends who're keen on co-op playing it will be a good purchase though.
  23. May 5, 2012
    This game is a blast with more than one player. The difficulty scales very effectively with the number of players and different game mods really help to switch it up. It is quick and easy to get a game setup without a ton of menus. I've had hours of fun just messing around and playing this with friends. There are a lot of cool features such as map ping, which all allies can see, and a mapThis game is a blast with more than one player. The difficulty scales very effectively with the number of players and different game mods really help to switch it up. It is quick and easy to get a game setup without a ton of menus. I've had hours of fun just messing around and playing this with friends. There are a lot of cool features such as map ping, which all allies can see, and a map that shows the position of everyone else.

My one gripe about this game is the lack of starting content. There's 4 or 5 weapons, which isn't all that bad, but you only get a few towers, the rest are all DLC, and aren't that cheap ($2 for a new tower? No thank you)

There needed to be more content at launch, but other than that, this is a great game that I have enjoyed playing thoroughly.
  24. Apr 22, 2012
    Like tower defense ?
    If yes get this game, awesome places, a lot of fun in single player, even more better on multiplayer, even if is a bit dead there will be always someone willing to play it.
  25. Mar 3, 2012
    This is playable, and kind of fun, but mostly disappointed me. The FPS + tower defense combo is a nice twist, but for me, Sanctum got tiresome very quickly. It just felt like something was a little bit off in terms of the game balancing / weapon synergy / level design. In the same genre, I that Orcs Must Die is a step above, and that's not saying too much.
  26. Feb 8, 2012
    I honestly have a tough time imaging any way to improve this game. You can even skip the opening animations of the studio and technology ads (something I haven't seen since in a game pre-2000). You have the strategy a Tower-defense, with varying enemies you need to consider in your design - and the fast-passed action of an FPS.
    And whatever you may think of DLCs, theirs are good and
    And whatever you may think of DLCs, theirs are good and entirely al a carte - maps $1.99 and towers are $0.99 (weapons are free updates). You can even pull in players who do not have a particular map for a round or two of multiplayer - also something that I haven't seen in a while (Starcraft 1 with their "Spawn" system I believe was the last time I saw something like this).
    What more do you want for $10?
  27. Jan 25, 2012
    A wonderful game. It perfectly combines elements of FPS and tower defense. Playing tower defense games, I would love the setup, but found the "wait while the enemies march" portion a bit dull. I enjoy FPSs, but have seen anything fresh in a while. This game cherry-picks the best elements of both genres and creates something better.
  28. Jan 4, 2012
    To make this game really shine, you must play it with some friends. On its own it can still be fun but feels pretty lonely. The game is definitely unique as I have not heard of a FPS tower defense game except this one. The game is pretty simple to understand and easy to pick up. And when you play with more people, it just becomes interesting to see the different strategies all mixingTo make this game really shine, you must play it with some friends. On its own it can still be fun but feels pretty lonely. The game is definitely unique as I have not heard of a FPS tower defense game except this one. The game is pretty simple to understand and easy to pick up. And when you play with more people, it just becomes interesting to see the different strategies all mixing together in one level. The game just keeps getting updated with new levels, new *and cheap* DLC. I would defiantly recommend this to anyone looking for some good Co-op fun. Expand
  29. Dec 30, 2011
    A great concept that is totally ruined by horrible game design, terrible presentation, and infuriatingly ambiguous tower/enemy stats. This game is the worst sort of indie trash. It's clear it was made by some newbie developers who don't understand UI design or production values. The big boys like Defense Grid and Orcs Must Die! crush this pathetic attempt at a game. Sorry, this is a badA great concept that is totally ruined by horrible game design, terrible presentation, and infuriatingly ambiguous tower/enemy stats. This game is the worst sort of indie trash. It's clear it was made by some newbie developers who don't understand UI design or production values. The big boys like Defense Grid and Orcs Must Die! crush this pathetic attempt at a game. Sorry, this is a bad Unreal mod, not a game. Complete FAIL. Expand
  30. Dec 28, 2011
    Nice graphics but poor implementation of difficulity - for example how do i kill those blue fat things? I wasn't told how until I had to hit the forums and introduced all too many at once. Better off playing Defense Grid, a REAL tower defense game. Yes that's right. The towers in this game do swat. only works in few waves then they are useless.

1. Apr 21, 2012
    Sanctum is one of the most innovative tower defense games to date. The player discovers new play styles time and time again through a varied mix of first person shooting and placing towers. The cooperative mode makes the multiplayer last for a long time to boot.
  2. Oct 17, 2011
    I hope that future patches and expansions will fix the game, since right now Sanctum brings only headaches instead of joy.
  3. Sep 9, 2011
    Really just a quick game for LAN parties as there's no long-term motivation. But wait and see what the future holds: Coffee Saint Studios has announced there'll be numerous improvements to esure the game won't win the title of most beautiful indie game on the market not just for the graphics.