6.8

1. Feb 18, 2013
    Pretty fun TD game. I love shooters and TD games so this fits right in. The combat feels smooth and the graphics are decent enough. The level variety is also pretty good and none of the levels feel like they are just a repetition of a previous level. The only downside is that you have to buy the complete pack with all the DLCs if you want a complete game experience. Fortunately, thatPretty fun TD game. I love shooters and TD games so this fits right in. The combat feels smooth and the graphics are decent enough. The level variety is also pretty good and none of the levels feel like they are just a repetition of a previous level. The only downside is that you have to buy the complete pack with all the DLCs if you want a complete game experience. Fortunately, that doesn't cost much more than the base game. Expand
  2. Jan 3, 2013
    First person Tower Defense with a focus on co-op. Without a friend to play this with it gets very repetitive and slow. The devs have added a lot of post-launch content in the form of new weapons and maps (both paid and free) and regular updates for bug fixes and seasonal events. Worth picking up with a friend but solo it won't last you very long unless you're a die-hard Tower Defense fan.
  3. Jul 19, 2011
    A pretty decent job at merging FPS with tower defense. The monsters remind me of the psychotic LSD trip from Zeno Clash. Definitely a blast when you are playing with friends who know what the hell they are doing. In all honesty, games like Monday Night Combat and Iron Grip do a better job at this genre, but there's definitely fun to be had here. In-game text-to-speech features someA pretty decent job at merging FPS with tower defense. The monsters remind me of the psychotic LSD trip from Zeno Clash. Definitely a blast when you are playing with friends who know what the hell they are doing. In all honesty, games like Monday Night Combat and Iron Grip do a better job at this genre, but there's definitely fun to be had here. In-game text-to-speech features some entertaining conversation pieces! Expand
  4. Nov 3, 2013
    An enjoyable tower defence/fps style game that while has some great game play and features can become a little repetitive.

Personally not quite my thing but those who are a fan of the genre and the tactics that will come with this will get plenty of value out of it and the unique fps aspect is also enjoyable.
  5. Oct 12, 2011
    Ok. This game was a massive joke on those of us who bought it at launch. Sooo small and short it was literally like someone robbing you at a cashpoint without having the chance to beat them to death and still feel good about it. BUT, with more reasonably priced maps and DLC which doesnt break the bank, overall it can be saved. Personally I enjoyed the game itself. Not sure what the hellOk. This game was a massive joke on those of us who bought it at launch. Sooo small and short it was literally like someone robbing you at a cashpoint without having the chance to beat them to death and still feel good about it. BUT, with more reasonably priced maps and DLC which doesnt break the bank, overall it can be saved. Personally I enjoyed the game itself. Not sure what the hell is going on with the crap FOV issue that makes me feel like I am playing on an xbox, or locked outside looking at the game through a letterbox but the game itself really is great fun. Personally i like it alot. Expand
  6. Oct 14, 2011
    Amazing, creative and innovate game with great graphics, artstyle and music, an excellent game! However its a little short on content, there are very few weapons and maps to play on. There is a decent amount of towers and enemy types though, but you might have to buy the DLCs if you want it to feel like a full game.
  7. Jul 9, 2011
    I don't know why someone didn't think of this concept sooner. I also don't know what the critics have against it, but this is probably the best Tower Defense game out there and well worth the price. Only thing I'd really like to see is more maps.
  8. Dec 30, 2011
    A great concept that is totally ruined by horrible game design, terrible presentation, and infuriatingly ambiguous tower/enemy stats. This game is the worst sort of indie trash. It's clear it was made by some newbie developers who don't understand UI design or production values. The big boys like Defense Grid and Orcs Must Die! crush this pathetic attempt at a game. Sorry, this is a badA great concept that is totally ruined by horrible game design, terrible presentation, and infuriatingly ambiguous tower/enemy stats. This game is the worst sort of indie trash. It's clear it was made by some newbie developers who don't understand UI design or production values. The big boys like Defense Grid and Orcs Must Die! crush this pathetic attempt at a game. Sorry, this is a bad Unreal mod, not a game. Complete FAIL. Expand
  9. Mar 3, 2012
    This is playable, and kind of fun, but mostly disappointed me. The FPS + tower defense combo is a nice twist, but for me, Sanctum got tiresome very quickly. It just felt like something was a little bit off in terms of the game balancing / weapon synergy / level design. In the same genre, I that Orcs Must Die is a step above, and that's not saying too much.
  10. Apr 22, 2012
    Like tower defense ?
    If yes get this game, awesome places, a lot of fun in single player, even more better on multiplayer, even if is a bit dead there will be always someone willing to play it.
  11. Dec 6, 2011
    This game has a ton of updates and new free stuff added every couple months. It also has AAA graphics and co-op or single-user game play for the price of an indie puzzle game -- on sale. Lots of replayability on the few maps it comes with, and (though somewhat controversial) the new maps and weapons released as DLC are a lot of fresh fun that I feel are worth the cost. The DLC weaponsThis game has a ton of updates and new free stuff added every couple months. It also has AAA graphics and co-op or single-user game play for the price of an indie puzzle game -- on sale. Lots of replayability on the few maps it comes with, and (though somewhat controversial) the new maps and weapons released as DLC are a lot of fresh fun that I feel are worth the cost. The DLC weapons can be used by you in games that your friends may not have them, which helps keep your load outs unique to eachother, and they're cheap if you ever want to add on. Those complaining of this model are forgetting how much replayable game you are already getting for the base price of 9.99. The extra stuff is just sprinkles and doughnuts. Play it with your friends or alone, it's a great mesh of tower defense and varied, upgradable gunplay. Simply stunning game. Expand
  12. Dec 15, 2011
    The field of tower-defense-meets-shooter is beginning to get crowded, with games like "Dungeon Defenders" and "Orcs Must Die" to face off against. Sanctum holds its own in large part because of its style, but the game play isn't as dynamic as those other two games. In Sanctum, the character, Skye, is clearly there in a support role and the towers do most of the work. The weapons are justThe field of tower-defense-meets-shooter is beginning to get crowded, with games like "Dungeon Defenders" and "Orcs Must Die" to face off against. Sanctum holds its own in large part because of its style, but the game play isn't as dynamic as those other two games. In Sanctum, the character, Skye, is clearly there in a support role and the towers do most of the work. The weapons are just too weak to take out swarms single-handed. The relatively small amount of character/weapon customization adds to the feeling that Skye s a servant of the big machine and not the main protagonist. This isn't necessarily bad; it's just the choice the developers made as to where to draw the line between tower defense and shooter. Some games draw that line more toward the side of shooters. Sanctum is definitely a tower defense first and a shooter second. But this combination does work well. It's nice to be able to go lend a hand when you find a hole in your defenses, but it's more stressful to have to go to the tower to upgrade it instead of doing it from a bird's eye perspective. The DLCs are really not the big deal that some people have made them out to be. They're cheap on an average day but when they go on sale, as they often do, you can get the lot of all DLCs for less than a cup of coffee at Starbuck's. If you like the tower defense genre, you're doing yourself a disservice by not having this game in your collection. At the very least, put it on your wish list and grab it the next time it goes on sale. Expand
  13. Dec 28, 2011
    Nice graphics but poor implementation of difficulity - for example how do i kill those blue fat things? I wasn't told how until I had to hit the forums and introduced all too many at once. Better off playing Defense Grid, a REAL tower defense game. Yes that's right. The towers in this game do swat. only works in few waves then they are useless.
  14. Apr 22, 2011
    Excellent game. I played the beta for 15 hours, and that wasn't even feature complete. I'm starting in on the full game now, and the other maps seem more complicated and interesting. The mix of first-person shooter and tower defense works well, and navigating to set up your defenses is thankfully a breeze. The defenses are crucial, but you always feel like your own fighting matters. It'sExcellent game. I played the beta for 15 hours, and that wasn't even feature complete. I'm starting in on the full game now, and the other maps seem more complicated and interesting. The mix of first-person shooter and tower defense works well, and navigating to set up your defenses is thankfully a breeze. The defenses are crucial, but you always feel like your own fighting matters. It's one of the best looking indie games out there, and takes full advantage of the Unreal 3 engine. Overall, this would be a great game for $40... for $15 it's a steal, and fans of tower defense strategy games, or FPS fans looking for something new, will find a lot to like here. It's also worth noting that it has a 2-player online co-op mode (4-player soon), and that the developers are active on the Steam forums and working on tweaks and new content. My only complaint would be the save system (one save at a time, and save points aren't for every wave), but it's a minor complaint and likely to be fixed based on community feedback. Expand
  15. Aug 24, 2011
    Sanctum was a bit of a surprise to me, I didnt expect something as good as this when i first got it. given that it does get old somewhat quickly, overall, its a very enjoyable game. it just is disappointing how easily it becomes boring since its a game thats designed to be multiplayer and played over and over.
  16. Jul 10, 2011
    Outstanding tower defense game for the price. Critic reviews are way too harsh on this game for what it is meant to be, especially for the price. Bubble tanks and Bloons 3 got me to love tower defense games. Those have been the only two I found fun and haven't wanted to play any other tower defense game, until now. Hopefully the makers of Sanctum release more levels.
  17. Jul 17, 2012
    Sanctum is a FPS / Tower Defense game that has you create mazes to thwart enemies from reaching your reactor. Even though it's a fun game to play it just misses the bullseye. Planning in Sanctum is crucial as you must build the longest path with the most twists and turns to win. Before the 1st round starts and after every subsequent round there is a pause that gives you time to rearrangeSanctum is a FPS / Tower Defense game that has you create mazes to thwart enemies from reaching your reactor. Even though it's a fun game to play it just misses the bullseye. Planning in Sanctum is crucial as you must build the longest path with the most twists and turns to win. Before the 1st round starts and after every subsequent round there is a pause that gives you time to rearrange and add to the maze. You the player decide when the next wave of enemies starts. The fact that there is no time limit on how long you can plan before waves made the game feel easier than it had to be. However, until most tower defense games that give a top down you have to walk everywhere you want to place torrents and blocks which is, I'm sure why they have no time limits. The game is built off the Unreal Engine and it shows a little too much for me. You can tell it from the color pallet, to the way the player moves, and how the guns handle. Not that any of this is a bad thing, but to me it felt like I was playing a mod more so than a stand-alone game. However, this is also kind of a good thing since, if you've ever played Unreal, you already know how control and shooting is going to work. Sound is the last part of this game that did it in for me. I never realized how much sound really meant for a game like this. You would expect a horde of aliens charging in a straight line down a path would at least sound terrifying. However it does not. The sense of dread or hopelessness is not there. Instead they quietly jog towards reactor making small groans and grunts when they die. Even your guns sound muted. It just takes you out of the experience and you feel like your watching an assembly line, not playing a game.

In total Sanctum is a descent game, not a great one. If you really want to try a tower defense that has you running around killing hordes than Orcs Must Die is your game. If you loved Orcs Must Die and are interested in this game you will probably find yourself feeling empty either half-way or once you beat it. It's just that challenging or immersive to hold your attention for long.
  18. Jul 15, 2011
    $15 for this game and i have already got about 10 hours of gameplay. Very fun game if you like TD games, also the variety in enemies makes it fun, you dont just shoot at the enemies, you have to hit their tiny little weakspots, which makes it a lot more fun, Although to me this game would only be good if you had a few friends to play it with, singleplayer is a bit dry.
  19. May 11, 2012
    Sanctum combines the classic tower defense game with FPS co-op. The players will build a maze on a map and construct guns of various types with various abilities. When the players are ready the spawns start - waves of different monsters will be incoming and the players will have to rely on their weapons and the deployed turrets to kill them and stop them from getting through the maze. WhenSanctum combines the classic tower defense game with FPS co-op. The players will build a maze on a map and construct guns of various types with various abilities. When the players are ready the spawns start - waves of different monsters will be incoming and the players will have to rely on their weapons and the deployed turrets to kill them and stop them from getting through the maze. When monsters die the players make money, which can be used to upgrade guns or existing turrets or build new ones.

The game is quite well executed (very few bugs) and the design is thought through and relies heavily on the normal tower defense games. The weapons are neat-looking, works as you expect them to work - you have three of them, a sniper, an assault rifle with grenades and a freezing gun that'll slow monsters. There is a certain variation of maps, but I never felt much of a change when switching between them - as you build the maze yourself, the maps will mostly just provide obstacles for the maze you would like to build. The game, however, got somewhat dull for me rather quickly. The incoming monsters don't offer much variation - the spawn order is random, so sometimes the only thing that can really threaten you is a spawn composed of 3 groups of the same type: as you have been dealing with varied threats you have made maze for varied incoming, so when a full spawn of flyers (that can only be shot by certain types of turrets) for instance show up, your turrets for shooting at the ground will be useless. Therefore the best investment is a high level gun, which turns the game more into a shooter than a builder. Also - maybe it's just my personal shortcomings, but I have a hard time getting beyond a fair percentage of the monsters looking like genitals.

In Sanctum I never get the "tower defense" experience of leaning back and watching your awesome killing zone at work as I constantly had to rush around killing the monsters that slipped through your maze. Turrets can NOT handle stuff on their own and will gladly fire away at the front of a monster that can only be wounded from behind or pumping hundreds of rounds of lead into the belly of someone who only takes damage from head shots. It's up to you to stop the enemies that will need accurate shots, and after a number of games I was sorely tired of trying to get "head" shots on the wobbly beings with balls on top of their necks. Did I mention that most of the monsters look like genitals?

Anyhow, Sanctum is a very well executed game that will be immensely funny at first but get rather boring in the long run. If you have some friends who're keen on co-op playing it will be a good purchase though.
  20. May 5, 2011
    Critic reviews are pretty unfair to this game. Granted, Sanctum isn't one of those 100-level tower defense games where you lay things down and wait through wave after wave without any control. I personally detest tower defense games, but I love Sanctum. It's not the first game to allow player control in waves, from what I hear, but it does it with great finesse. The game can vary from easyCritic reviews are pretty unfair to this game. Granted, Sanctum isn't one of those 100-level tower defense games where you lay things down and wait through wave after wave without any control. I personally detest tower defense games, but I love Sanctum. It's not the first game to allow player control in waves, from what I hear, but it does it with great finesse. The game can vary from easy and relaxing to intense and challenging, depending on the difficulties. Co-op is more challenging, but single player is a good way to learn the basics and refine your layouts.
    A large part of the fun comes from learning the game. Everyone builds differently, and there are enough options to suit players whether they want to build towers and watch them work, or be the main tool of destruction themselves. The game is challenging enough to require both improvements to really do well.

Granted, the game is not perfect. Co-op joining can give troubles, and has only worked on a local connection for me thus far. But the developers are devoted to supporting the game, already planning to implement 4-player co-op and new maps. So what the critics say about not having enough content is not necessarily true. Co-op features more weapons and monsters, and there is more to come. It's very good for a beginning developer, and they need support and fan interest if they are to continue development. Critics may only see what came out at first, and not the full potential of the developers.
  21. Oct 14, 2013
    Sanctum is a first-person shooter, tower defence game. Even though when I first picked up the game I enjoyed but playing more, and more of it I founded myself getting, more and more bored. This game has very low replay value after more then a few games. It get 's repetitive and only do I have fun when playing with friends. Playing by yourself or playing with one other friend still makesSanctum is a first-person shooter, tower defence game. Even though when I first picked up the game I enjoyed but playing more, and more of it I founded myself getting, more and more bored. This game has very low replay value after more then a few games. It get 's repetitive and only do I have fun when playing with friends. Playing by yourself or playing with one other friend still makes the game difficult to play and we tended to lose a lot. Even though this game is unique in it's own way I still find it boring.

This game isn't worth full price but I would defiantly pick it up if it's on a big sale. Wasted potential in my opinon. I haven't gotten the chance to play Sanctum 2 but it looks better then the original game and better. If you are going to choose between Sanctum and Sanctum 2 I will choose the sequel.
  22. Dec 28, 2011
    They removed the scoring system and leaderboards for levels in the same patch which makes the game have no replay value. There's much better tower defense games to get.
  23. Dec 20, 2011
    I've only played the game for a few hours with a buddy but what I've played is fairly enjoyable. It has a few issues and the formula gets old fairly quick but it's a nice break from other games of similar style.
  24. Aug 22, 2012
    It's a first person shooter, tower defense hybrid. If you like either genre, you'll probably enjoy it. However, it's much more satisfying with a few friends.
  25. Nov 21, 2012
    Este juego es un excelente tower defense. Más calmado el sistema de combate que "Orcs Must Die!"(Omd!), pero muy desafiante. Me agrada como el escenario se comportará según de como diseñes la ubicación de las trampas, además hay que ser muy cuidadoso al elegir cuáles usarás y donde las pondrás. Tiene variedad de enemigos conEste juego es un excelente tower defense. Más calmado el sistema de combate que "Orcs Must Die!"(Omd!), pero muy desafiante. Me agrada como el escenario se comportará según de como diseñes la ubicación de las trampas, además hay que ser muy cuidadoso al elegir cuáles usarás y donde las pondrás. Tiene variedad de enemigos con distintos puntos débiles, por lo que debes ser rápido y adaptarte al estilo de juego para enemigos específicos. Cada escenario es un increíble reto, mucho más desafiante que Omd! Expand
  26. Sep 12, 2012
    You know what? I completed this **** game in less then 3 hours. When I played Dungeon Defenders, I was only in the first two levels in the first 3 hours of that. Luckily, I bought all the dlcs and the game when it was discounted for 5 bucks, so it wasn't THAT bad. I mean, can this game at least HAVE MORE CONTENT?????
  27. Jan 4, 2012
    To make this game really shine, you must play it with some friends. On its own it can still be fun but feels pretty lonely. The game is definitely unique as I have not heard of a FPS tower defense game except this one. The game is pretty simple to understand and easy to pick up. And when you play with more people, it just becomes interesting to see the different strategies all mixingTo make this game really shine, you must play it with some friends. On its own it can still be fun but feels pretty lonely. The game is definitely unique as I have not heard of a FPS tower defense game except this one. The game is pretty simple to understand and easy to pick up. And when you play with more people, it just becomes interesting to see the different strategies all mixing together in one level. The game just keeps getting updated with new levels, new *and cheap* DLC. I would defiantly recommend this to anyone looking for some good Co-op fun. Expand
  28. Dec 3, 2012
    Right now (December 2012) his game has 6 weapons, 15 Totally different towers, 8 maps, and more than 10 different enemies. Thats a lot of content. You can buy 7 more maps at low cost and then you will have a BIG game. My steam account says I have spend 230+ hours in this game and Im not tired of it yet. I play mostly alone, but multiplayer is very good when you have some friends to shareRight now (December 2012) his game has 6 weapons, 15 Totally different towers, 8 maps, and more than 10 different enemies. Thats a lot of content. You can buy 7 more maps at low cost and then you will have a BIG game. My steam account says I have spend 230+ hours in this game and Im not tired of it yet. I play mostly alone, but multiplayer is very good when you have some friends to share the game. Sanctum is well designed, balanced and beautiful. The monsters challenge you to build a good strategy and the towers allow you hundreds of setups for every map. This game is too fun, you can bet. Expand
  29. May 14, 2011
    Good mix of strategy and action. Graphics and theme are reminiscent of an old game Incubation. It looks great and learning curve is not steep. Important part of strategy is to carefully balance investments in base towers and your personal weaponry.
  30. Jul 28, 2011
    I got a 4-pack during the last Steam sale because my kids and I like to play tower defense games. I wasn't sure how well TD and FPS styles could ever co-exist in one package, but Sanctum pulls it off pretty flawlessly. I'd strongly recommend this title for tower defense genre lovers. The multi-player co-op is well done and smooth, although the default font-size for text chat is ginormous.I got a 4-pack during the last Steam sale because my kids and I like to play tower defense games. I wasn't sure how well TD and FPS styles could ever co-exist in one package, but Sanctum pulls it off pretty flawlessly. I'd strongly recommend this title for tower defense genre lovers. The multi-player co-op is well done and smooth, although the default font-size for text chat is ginormous.

Game play is conducive to both quick, casual games, as well as multi-hour slugfests, depending on your mood and time. The maps and gameplay can get a bit repetitive. If they had 10-15 maps even, they could add to the replayability. I also feel they max out the player's FPS guns too quickly. FPS mode is critical to success on some maps and with anti-air, but the monsters scale way past your guns after 20 or so stages. At later stages, it's just about impossible to lose to the ground monsters while simultaneously being just about impossible to kill the air monsters.

Probably an 8 game, but +1 for an interesting concept and for critics rating too low.

1. Apr 21, 2012
    Sanctum is one of the most innovative tower defense games to date. The player discovers new play styles time and time again through a varied mix of first person shooting and placing towers. The cooperative mode makes the multiplayer last for a long time to boot.
  2. Oct 17, 2011
    I hope that future patches and expansions will fix the game, since right now Sanctum brings only headaches instead of joy.
  3. Sep 9, 2011
    Really just a quick game for LAN parties as there's no long-term motivation. But wait and see what the future holds: Coffee Saint Studios has announced there'll be numerous improvements to esure the game won't win the title of most beautiful indie game on the market not just for the graphics.