6.7

1. Jul 9, 2011
    I don't know why someone didn't think of this concept sooner. I also don't know what the critics have against it, but this is probably the best Tower Defense game out there and well worth the price. Only thing I'd really like to see is more maps.
  2. Dec 6, 2011
    This game has a ton of updates and new free stuff added every couple months. It also has AAA graphics and co-op or single-user game play for the price of an indie puzzle game -- on sale. Lots of replayability on the few maps it comes with, and (though somewhat controversial) the new maps and weapons released as DLC are a lot of fresh fun that I feel are worth the cost. The DLC weapons can be used by you in games that your friends may not have them, which helps keep your load outs unique to eachother, and they're cheap if you ever want to add on. Those complaining of this model are forgetting how much replayable game you are already getting for the base price of 9.99. The extra stuff is just sprinkles and doughnuts. Play it with your friends or alone, it's a great mesh of tower defense and varied, upgradable gunplay. Simply stunning game. Expand
  3. Jun 8, 2011
    AWESOME mix of FPS and Tower defense, the best part is on steam they can totally keep patching it with levels and other stuff. There is more to the levels than just defense and shooting, hidden treasure!!!!
  4. Apr 22, 2011
    Excellent game. I played the beta for 15 hours, and that wasn't even feature complete. I'm starting in on the full game now, and the other maps seem more complicated and interesting. The mix of first-person shooter and tower defense works well, and navigating to set up your defenses is thankfully a breeze. The defenses are crucial, but you always feel like your own fighting matters. It's one of the best looking indie games out there, and takes full advantage of the Unreal 3 engine. Overall, this would be a great game for $40... for $15 it's a steal, and fans of tower defense strategy games, or FPS fans looking for something new, will find a lot to like here. It's also worth noting that it has a 2-player online co-op mode (4-player soon), and that the developers are active on the Steam forums and working on tweaks and new content. My only complaint would be the save system (one save at a time, and save points aren't for every wave), but it's a minor complaint and likely to be fixed based on community feedback. Expand
  5. Jul 15, 2011
    $15 for this game and i have already got about 10 hours of gameplay. Very fun game if you like TD games, also the variety in enemies makes it fun, you dont just shoot at the enemies, you have to hit their tiny little weakspots, which makes it a lot more fun, Although to me this game would only be good if you had a few friends to play it with, singleplayer is a bit dry.
  6. Jul 10, 2011
    Outstanding tower defense game for the price. Critic reviews are way too harsh on this game for what it is meant to be, especially for the price. Bubble tanks and Bloons 3 got me to love tower defense games. Those have been the only two I found fun and haven't wanted to play any other tower defense game, until now. Hopefully the makers of Sanctum release more levels.
  7. May 29, 2011
    An amazingly fun first person shooter tower defense game that will take hours of your time away, especially when playing with friends. A one of a kind game! :)
  8. May 13, 2011
    I would not have found this game if it were not for the Yogcast, and what a horrible thing that would've been.

The gameplay is a unique and a refreshing experience from other games. The music is very well done and the world is BEAUTIFUL!!! Well done on that. Not to mention the easter eggs! They're very fun to find and I think you did a brilliant job on it.

What's more is that there
    is a bunch of free DLC coming. That I likes indeed :).

Great game, get it.
  9. May 4, 2011
    Awesome game that truly sticks to the traditional tower defense concept. The FPS brings you right down into the action but it also adds more depth to the tactical complexity of the TD genre. With the easier game settings it is quite forgiving - you get away with just having a decent long maze path and upgrading whatever towers or you want and point and shoot. However to get anywhere far in the higher difficulties and later stages in co-op you need to carefully plan your maze and tower placement as well as choose crowd control strategy and selection of guns. Should I use the freeze gun to spread out the enemies or clump them together? Should I focus on single target sniping, or grenade bomb them with the assault? Which enemies must be taken out first? Which enemies can I safely leave to my towers and which needs to be gunned down? The different enemy types requires you to master different tactics often within the same wave. It is as much a brain-game as it is intense action and the more you play it the more you discover opportunities of improvements of your defenses. Ive ditched 40+ hours in Sanctum and I still feel I have lot of things to learn. On the downside, if you never played tower defense games before or you simply don't find TD gameplay amusing this might not be for you as Sanctum is very true to the traditional TD concept. It might not be a game for everyone but then again - how many games are?

For a TD fan this is a no-brainer for a measly 15$ or even 12.50$ if you share the 2-pack. If you are on the fence, more content is being created by the developers including new maps, towers and guns. I would like to underline that the devs have been very responsive to users requests and questions about the game and they have delivered patches as promised. Also 4-p co-op is an upcoming feature that should bump Sanctum from being a great game to a superb game.
  10. May 4, 2011
    It combines the best of Tower Defense (planning and building) with the best of First person shooters (fast action). When they add in the 4 player Co-op this game will be the most bang for the buck I've played in years.
  11. May 5, 2011
    Critic reviews are pretty unfair to this game. Granted, Sanctum isn't one of those 100-level tower defense games where you lay things down and wait through wave after wave without any control. I personally detest tower defense games, but I love Sanctum. It's not the first game to allow player control in waves, from what I hear, but it does it with great finesse. The game can vary from easy and relaxing to intense and challenging, depending on the difficulties. Co-op is more challenging, but single player is a good way to learn the basics and refine your layouts.
    A large part of the fun comes from learning the game. Everyone builds differently, and there are enough options to suit players whether they want to build towers and watch them work, or be the main tool of destruction themselves. The game is challenging enough to require both improvements to really do well.

Granted, the game is not perfect. Co-op joining can give troubles, and has only worked on a local connection for me thus far. But the developers are devoted to supporting the game, already planning to implement 4-player co-op and new maps. So what the critics say about not having enough content is not necessarily true. Co-op features more weapons and monsters, and there is more to come. It's very good for a beginning developer, and they need support and fan interest if they are to continue development. Critics may only see what came out at first, and not the full potential of the developers.
  12. May 14, 2011
    Good mix of strategy and action. Graphics and theme are reminiscent of an old game Incubation. It looks great and learning curve is not steep. Important part of strategy is to carefully balance investments in base towers and your personal weaponry.
  13. May 15, 2011
    It's awful on your own, but a complete blast with friends. There is no co-op like it. Get it. Fantastic game
    Stop reading this review, go out and buy it.
    Go on.
  14. May 16, 2011
    Great game! It shows how it is possible to remake a old idea with originality. Simple, fun and addictive.
    It would be even better with a wider possible choice of turrets and weapons.
  15. May 16, 2011
    A challenging and rewarding game, with a lot of variety in working strategies...You can upgrade your weapons, your towers, or a little of both. Sniping is *crazy* fun in the game. The developers are very active within the community and have responded quickly to community requests. The game has a lot of replayability and is priced just right, so you'll be sure to get great value for your money.
  16. May 19, 2011
    This game gets better and better. There are now 4 maps in the game and by the looks of official statements from Coffee Stain more free content is in the making. No ETA on 4player mode yet but in the devs list of " what we are working on it right now". Also MP casual mode is much easier than before so anyone should be able to enjoy the later stages in co-op gameplay now. (A review written May 17 that claims the game only has 3 maps looks weird as the fourth map was released in a free patch May 12 and was automatically added through Steam to all (legal) game copies. Please check your facts before publishing reviews.) Expand
  17. Oct 14, 2011
    Amazing, creative and innovate game with great graphics, artstyle and music, an excellent game! However its a little short on content, there are very few weapons and maps to play on. There is a decent amount of towers and enemy types though, but you might have to buy the DLCs if you want it to feel like a full game.
  18. Jun 1, 2011
    They have captured the potential this game had with the recent patches and they just keep adding stuff! I have gotten more than 40 hours out of this game that is actually very deep regardless of what the "professional" review sites say.
  19. Jun 20, 2011
    A game I accidentally stumbled upon that mixed two of my favourite gametypes, FPS and Tower Defence. And in same box! Gameplay is really smooth and intuitive, after playing 5 minute tutorial you are very much ready to kick some ass and chew bubble gum while at it but it does not take away from the complexity of the game that is the waves of enemies. Easy to learn, hard to master would be a perfect saying for this one.

The waves of enemies, one of the most important factor of the game wouldn't mind some tweaking though. While the enemies themselves are diverse, you are usually grouped with two types at once only, and even then it can be repetitive of what kind of enemies approach.

Maps are well built and forces one to think even at lower difficulties, which in this modern time and date is only a welcomed feature. And think you can as the game is divided into two phases, buying and battling ones, so there is no haste when you are building stuff. Overall, excellent game.
  20. Jul 8, 2011
    Game-wise, its one of the best 3 dollar purchases I ever made ( via steam summer sale). Addictive, good graphics with intriguing art style and beautiful levels, well developed towers and enemies. The fps-tower defense combination feels very comfortable/natural. Its also pleasantly challenging. I find myself going back and trying new build orders, maze designs, and tower compositions. Despite its general lack of content, it does not lack replay value. Score one for Indy developers! Expand
  21. Jul 9, 2011
    It's funny how far off the professional reviewers are from the people who actually play these games. Notice the user reviews are all positive. This game is plain and simple fun. Easy to learn, hard to master, mix of fps and tower defense/strategy casual game. There aren't a billion weapons, and you don't need a billion weapons to have fun. For the ridiculously low price I paid for this it was an amazing buy. For $10 or so you'll get your moneys worth and then some. Expand
  22. Aug 28, 2011
    It´s probably the best tower defense game I have played for man years. The Co-OP mode is extremely fun and probably makes it one of the best TD games ever made.
    The reason the critics didnt like it, is because they got there ass handed to them on medium and have no friends to play co-op.
  23. Jul 17, 2011
    An absolutely delightful indie game in a time when major developers are failing to deliver. In short: simple, challenging, frantic co-op fun. Sanctum is a tower defense game played in first person with 1-4 players. Sure it's a simple recipe, but it works. The graphics and audio are pleasing, controls are solid, the interface is... slightly confusing at first but honestly works. As an added bonus, text to speech provides hours of hilarity. I bought Sanctum as part of a four pack hoping for a bit of fun with friends but not expecting too much for the price - and have not been disappointed in any way. I personally don't feel there is much that could be improved on,. Additional turrets might overcomplicated things, but perhaps a few additional maps and perhaps even a 4th weapon class (to match the recent patch allowing 4 player coop) would be nice, but like I said, it's a simple recipe and it works. I do definitely suggest that you play Sanctum with friends to get the most enjoyment out of it, but for those who enjoy tower defense type games alone, you won't be disappointed. Expand
  24. Jul 28, 2011
    I got a 4-pack during the last Steam sale because my kids and I like to play tower defense games. I wasn't sure how well TD and FPS styles could ever co-exist in one package, but Sanctum pulls it off pretty flawlessly. I'd strongly recommend this title for tower defense genre lovers. The multi-player co-op is well done and smooth, although the default font-size for text chat is ginormous.

Game play is conducive to both quick, casual games, as well as multi-hour slugfests, depending on your mood and time. The maps and gameplay can get a bit repetitive. If they had 10-15 maps even, they could add to the replayability. I also feel they max out the player's FPS guns too quickly. FPS mode is critical to success on some maps and with anti-air, but the monsters scale way past your guns after 20 or so stages. At later stages, it's just about impossible to lose to the ground monsters while simultaneously being just about impossible to kill the air monsters.

Probably an 8 game, but +1 for an interesting concept and for critics rating too low.
  25. Jul 29, 2011
    A great fun tower defense game! i love it by far one of the best.And on top! there's coop gameplay what more can you ask for?Unless it's too hard for you then maybe it wouldnt be your pick.
  26. Oct 28, 2011
    La película tiene una fotografía increíble, la trama te mantiene pegado al asiento durante toda la pelicula, muy buenas actuaciones. Te produce varias emociones, de entre los cuales está el miedo y la ira, pero también da un sentimiento de comprensión debido a que recuerda las ocasiones en que una persona se encuentra acorralada contra las circunstancias y debe necesariamente actuar de alguna u otra forma. Expand
  27. Nov 7, 2011
    *In response to some of the negative reviews about DLC for this game, I would like to say this: The DLC is completely optional, and quite cheap compared to games like Call of Duty's DLC, also, the developers have actually released 2 free updates for the game, both adding new weapons, maps and towers, even a few new features have been added.* Now, onto the review:
    Sanctum is amazingly
    beautiful, providing that your idea of beautiful is a gleaming futuristic look kind of like "Portal's" look. The maps are very well designed and offer many different ways to create mazes. The game never seems unfair, you always seem to know where you failed at making your defenses, and can always change them around. The game is especially fun multiplayer, where you can have up to 4 people also building towers and working together. All around, a very fun game where content is being added all the time, and that is just making the game better. Plus, it's only $10, so why not give it a shot. Expand
  28. Jan 4, 2012
    To make this game really shine, you must play it with some friends. On its own it can still be fun but feels pretty lonely. The game is definitely unique as I have not heard of a FPS tower defense game except this one. The game is pretty simple to understand and easy to pick up. And when you play with more people, it just becomes interesting to see the different strategies all mixing together in one level. The game just keeps getting updated with new levels, new *and cheap* DLC. I would defiantly recommend this to anyone looking for some good Co-op fun. Expand
  29. Dec 24, 2011
    This game is mint! easily the best casual tower defense and FPS game out there, great soundtracks, decent graphics and addictive gameplay, co-op on this game works very well and is fun with a good team
  30. Jan 25, 2012
    A wonderful game. It perfectly combines elements of FPS and tower defense. Playing tower defense games, I would love the setup, but found the "wait while the enemies march" portion a bit dull. I enjoy FPSs, but have seen anything fresh in a while. This game cherry-picks the best elements of both genres and creates something better.
  31. Feb 8, 2012
    I honestly have a tough time imaging any way to improve this game. You can even skip the opening animations of the studio and technology ads (something I haven't seen since in a game pre-2000). You have the strategy a Tower-defense, with varying enemies you need to consider in your design - and the fast-passed action of an FPS.
    And whatever you may think of DLCs, theirs are good and
    entirely al a carte - maps $1.99 and towers are $0.99 (weapons are free updates). You can even pull in players who do not have a particular map for a round or two of multiplayer - also something that I haven't seen in a while (Starcraft 1 with their "Spawn" system I believe was the last time I saw something like this).
    What more do you want for $10?
  32. Aug 22, 2012
    It's a first person shooter, tower defense hybrid. If you like either genre, you'll probably enjoy it. However, it's much more satisfying with a few friends.
  33. Apr 22, 2012
    Like tower defense ?
    If yes get this game, awesome places, a lot of fun in single player, even more better on multiplayer, even if is a bit dead there will be always someone willing to play it.
  34. Nov 21, 2012
    Este juego es un excelente tower defense. Más calmado el sistema de combate que "Orcs Must Die!"(Omd!), pero muy desafiante. Me agrada como el escenario se comportará según de como diseñes la ubicación de las trampas, además hay que ser muy cuidadoso al elegir cuáles usarás y donde las pondrás. Tiene variedad de enemigos con distintos puntos débiles, por lo que debes ser rápido y adaptarte al estilo de juego para enemigos específicos. Cada escenario es un increíble reto, mucho más desafiante que Omd! Expand
  35. Dec 3, 2012
    Right now (December 2012) his game has 6 weapons, 15 Totally different towers, 8 maps, and more than 10 different enemies. Thats a lot of content. You can buy 7 more maps at low cost and then you will have a BIG game. My steam account says I have spend 230+ hours in this game and Im not tired of it yet. I play mostly alone, but multiplayer is very good when you have some friends to share the game. Sanctum is well designed, balanced and beautiful. The monsters challenge you to build a good strategy and the towers allow you hundreds of setups for every map. This game is too fun, you can bet. Expand
  36. May 4, 2011

1. Apr 21, 2012
    Sanctum is one of the most innovative tower defense games to date. The player discovers new play styles time and time again through a varied mix of first person shooting and placing towers. The cooperative mode makes the multiplayer last for a long time to boot.
  2. Oct 17, 2011
    I hope that future patches and expansions will fix the game, since right now Sanctum brings only headaches instead of joy.
  3. Sep 9, 2011
    Really just a quick game for LAN parties as there's no long-term motivation. But wait and see what the future holds: Coffee Saint Studios has announced there'll be numerous improvements to esure the game won't win the title of most beautiful indie game on the market not just for the graphics.