7.9

1. Jul 5, 2015
    A Tower Defense/Third-Person Action hybrid in the style of "Orcs Must Die!" based on Canadian lore. The game's structure is broken into pre-mission cutscene, pre-mission preparations, the actual defense of your structures on foot, and a post-mission cutscene, with no deviation in this structure. Of the twenty missions available, the first few are thinly veiled tutorials which quickly rampA Tower Defense/Third-Person Action hybrid in the style of "Orcs Must Die!" based on Canadian lore. The game's structure is broken into pre-mission cutscene, pre-mission preparations, the actual defense of your structures on foot, and a post-mission cutscene, with no deviation in this structure. Of the twenty missions available, the first few are thinly veiled tutorials which quickly ramp up in difficulty once supernatural enemies are introduced. Unlike most games, the difficulty doesn't budge; for the most part it was a non-stop train ride through a frustratingly difficult game. I was finding myself quickly frustrated and had to restart missions many times because of accidentally hitting myself with a lethal trap, getting sidetracked defending one objective while another was being destroyed, or just dying from being overwhelmed by enemies I was unprepared to face at full health because they "dodged" a trap I set for them.

While the story is good enough to push you forward and explain character actions and interactions, it really feels like it was stretched thin and simply made to build a game around. There are no sidequests, no mini-games or diversions, no non-main story character to chat with, or even any non-story or non-shops to visit while in towns. I loved the game's atmosphere and environments but much of the game feels rushed and lazy, as if the devs said "this is good enough, ship it!" The story also seemed to end abruptly and un-satisfyingly, as if the devs couldn't decide to lead into a sequel or not.

I would love to see a sequel that wasn't such a barebones narrow corridor of gameplay. Simple touches, like actually being able to walk around in towns, would have added much to the atmosphere of the game. This could have been a cozy, atmospheric game with a unique spin on Tower Defense, but instead it feels like a quick in-betweener for a dev looking to make money for his next big project.
  2. Apr 12, 2013
    This is decidedly average game. It's not that it's bad, it's just that it could have been so much better. They went for a 'stylised' look, but it's neither cartoony or real (it mixes in both) and comes off looking awkward, the gameplay is one-dimensional when compared to better games (such as Defence Grid or Sanctum), and the completely flat voice acting just sucks any remainingThis is decidedly average game. It's not that it's bad, it's just that it could have been so much better. They went for a 'stylised' look, but it's neither cartoony or real (it mixes in both) and comes off looking awkward, the gameplay is one-dimensional when compared to better games (such as Defence Grid or Sanctum), and the completely flat voice acting just sucks any remaining personality out of the game. It's novel for about ten minutes, but not worth the money. And this is from someone who loves werewolf movies.

Someone out there is eventually going to do this right. This just feels dull and uninspired by comparison. And for a game that supposedly has a known writer on board, I haven't encountered anything that's tried so hard to put me to sleep in a while. It's just... dull. It's not bad, you know? It's just soul-crushingly dull. If you're looking for a tower defence game, then you could do much, much better, and not much worse. Try out Defence Grid or Sanctum instead. You'll be better off.
  3. Aug 23, 2013
    Trash, complete and utter trash. The game starts off easy, then around level 6 (or whatever level ziplines are introduced) it gets impossible. Literally impossible. I'm a huge fan of hard games, but this game is so stupidly hard it's frustrating. I havn't seen this bad of a job at voice acting since my childhood school play. The gameplay is as repetitive as can be, and the graphics aren'tTrash, complete and utter trash. The game starts off easy, then around level 6 (or whatever level ziplines are introduced) it gets impossible. Literally impossible. I'm a huge fan of hard games, but this game is so stupidly hard it's frustrating. I havn't seen this bad of a job at voice acting since my childhood school play. The gameplay is as repetitive as can be, and the graphics aren't even unique. Go buy something else, not this garbage. Expand
  4. Nov 11, 2014
    It's all fine, alright, ok. But what they won't tell you is that this game is just a sort of TPP TOWER DEFENSE. You defend your house before waves of wolves and werewolves. Upgrades available.
    But let's be honest for a second... you'll have much more fun with Bloons TD. Don't bother.

1. Mar 25, 2014
    Sang-Froid is a tower defense and action game fun mix that will suck you in. Its always the same setting won't annoy you until you hit the very ending. However, thanks to its constant additions of new traps and creatures, the game stays entertaining till the end where you get roughly after six or seven hours.
  2. Aug 6, 2013
    Sang-Froid has its share of flaws, most of which are typical for indie games, but it is easy to overlook them – after all, not every ‘tower defense’ offers an original concept, cool gameplay mechanics, and a captivating story.
  3. CD-Action
    Aug 2, 2013
    Despite the simplicity of the combat system it’s hard to quit this game. [CD-Action 09/2013, p.71]