8.0

1. Sep 7, 2014
    In a lot of ways, this is quintessential indie. Take a couple of genres (RTS, Tower defense, Action/RPG), mash them up with some unique takes on the genres, and throw in some thoughtful but ultimately ugly visuals, and some god awful voice acting. Gameplay wise, its a very simple, elegant, satisfying game with a few rough edges, and an effective but unintuitive UI. Its worth the Price of admission for that. The music even has some high points. The story, visuals, and Voice acting are a chore. However, as bad as it is, you can tell they didn't just phone it in: Their are a few moments where you can really tell that they tried their very best. The Canadian wilderness can feel truly desolate and bleak, and the Tutorial guy is wonderful. But the cut scenes look like something out of a cheaply produced adventure game from the 90's, and the voices probably should have been just a tiny bit more stilted, emotionless and robotic, and it could have been so bad that its funny. The devil is particularly bad, as he comes across as a Saturday morning cartoon version of satan, which feels wildly inconsistent, tonally. I really wish that they embraced the limited resources they had, and went with a more stylized approach to telling the story, like an interactive comic, and maybe even cut out the VA altogether. Nothing good is gained from the direction they went.

I don't want to discourage people away from the game though. After all, I gave it an 8. The game play is wonderful, unique, and very fun. Its a solid title, well worth your time. Just avoid it if your looking for something pretty.
  2. Jul 19, 2014
    A Fantastic indie game! A fantastic story, fantastic gameplay, but poor on animations for the characters and enemies, hopefully Artifice Studios will fix that problem, also you will experience a certain amount of problems, like the game trying to verify the Steam integration which didn't work for almost 3 times and also you may experience cut scene problems that a certain Windows update causes, but overall a fun strategy game Expand
  3. Jun 1, 2014
    I liked the game and the experience that it got .I've just finished and I have things to say :
    pro : I love the fear factor and generally traps are genuine and interesting to use and the fact that your enemies fear you when they have the reason
    con : animation is just repetitive for the character even with the special moves and the soundtrack could've been bigger even though it isn't
    the main theme is just awesome
    What I would want
    - How about split skill trees for new moves
    - How about upside down crosses to lure demonic creatures to it
    - Separate parts to build better guns and even axes (or to make your own parts) and even bring some pistols
    - more new items
    - how about mercenaries that you can hire or bring some other forest animals that you can lure to fight the beasts
    - this time how about demonic or angelic creatures to fight along the others
    -and if it is the 19 th century how about some steam-punk inventions from (little spoiler) that hermit in the tree ( if he was able to make those glasses than maybe he can do other things )

I totally recommend to try this game at least for just one full experience
  4. Mar 24, 2014
    Fabulous, sensational game. Sang-froid should be used to teach other developers how to create internal consistency in their games; it is a shining exmaple of how to link the gameplay mechanics with the story and the lore, creating a dynamic experience with believable gameplay elements.

Gameplay is about defending your environment from several waves of attackers using traps of various
    kinds, and your trusty axe and rifle. Time and resources need to be managed carefully and used effectively against a variety of enemies with different characteristics.

If you're a fan of defensive strategy, give this a crack, you will not regret it. The story is a bit childish in its presentation, with somewhat cliche characters, but it works, and as I said earlier, the story and setting make sense of the gameplay mechanics and vice versa, which is something very few games have ever managed.
  5. Feb 10, 2014
    I am pleased that I purchased this game. To be fair I purchased this game during a one day sale for under $5 so as far as value goes this was an excellent purchase. Knowing what I know now I can easily say I would have purchased this for $15.
    Graphics - 6 (This game is not about graphics, so don't worry about this portion of the rating)
    Story - 5 (wasn't bad or great. It was just
    there. The voice acting and dialogue isn't great, but the core concepts are conveyed and it had something there to keep enough interest to not skip the story)
    Gameplay - 9 (The game is a like a tower defense and I give top marks for innovation. This is what carries the game and I would say even negates any negative remarks I made about the other categories.)

Even though my rating does not divide evenly into the 3 categories states above I believe that gameplay is always the top reason for playing any game. Therefore, I gave this game a 7 to counter the secondary storyline and graphics against my 9 gameplay rating. This game has value and I would suggest it to anyone who like RTS tower defense style games.
  6. Jan 30, 2014
    This is very nice, cute and quite unique game. It's not perfect, but I got a lot of pleasure, playing it. The control is not very sensitive, and graphics are not perfect. But it has very good soundtrack, art, and interesting gameplay that somehow gives you totally different experience then other action/tower defence games. Totally recommended for those, who want to try something different. Not recommended for people, that can't play without super cool graphics. Expand
  7. Jan 29, 2014
    This is a pretty good game. It is a tower defense game with the addition of a player controlled character that must be used in conjunction with traps in order to defeat the waves of enemies. Enemies follow set rules that you can reliably count on, but your own interaction with the enemies as well as your traps influences the way a stage plays out. It slowly introduces you to its available arsenal while also introducing new enemies. There are short, very bearable tutorials which also slowly introduce you to the somewhat surprising number of factors that can influence your strategy. You gain experience and levels which are used to gain skills - there are enough skill choices that you can customize your play style accordingly. The difficulty on normal is pretty standard and if you run into trouble with a stage, you can restart after making small adjustments, or choose to start fresh and try an entirely new strategy. The game has a currency system which is used for both placing traps and purchasing weapons, potions (in the form of alcoholic drinks), and equipment.

The gameplay is "repetitive" only in the sense that each stage follows the same formula - analyze your enemy waves, place traps, plan your strategy, and carry it out in action. However, the same stage can be handled several different ways and your own playstyle can easily shine through. You can be trap heavy, focus on attacking from range, or depend on your own two hands and axe as you melee the enemy waves.

While some may find the story, voice acting, and animation to be tacky or dull, it is actually rather stylistic and adds a quirky sort of charm to the game. The plot is rather immersive and sometimes the storyline sets you up for a surprise twist in your upcoming map. It has a lot going for it when you realize that similar games actually tend to have little to no story.

Sang-froid falls a bit short due to it only having a good 8-12 hours of gameplay and standard replayability.
  8. Jan 28, 2014
    I take issue with the negative reviews of this game for several reasons: First, being an indie game, it is a constant work in progress. It is senseless to attack the graphics or voice acting. Contact the developers, and give them creative suggestions. Second, criticizing the difficulty of the game also makes no sense: if it were easy, EVERYONE would wail about that. The difficulty is what it is: that's were the strategy comes in. Third, saying that this game is pure crap is insane. It's worth the price of admission just for the historical background alone. Is it a perfect game? No, but it is fresh and original. The big professional groups like Creative Assembly and Firaxis could learn something from these guys. This game is a little known gem. Get it, play it, and give the developers feedback so that they can make it better. Expand
  9. Jan 2, 2014
    Amazing game, simply put.
    It is an old school tactics game. Having to plan ahead is what makes this game so amazing.
    There are hard choices to make, expensive weapons for example. There is no ultimate weapon for any enemy. Same goes for traps. You will have to really think it over which enemies you want to kill first and which ones you want to delay for example.
    So if you like tactis,
    ressource management with a bit 3rd person combat, you will find your perfect match in this game.
    This is nothing like those "new school" tactic games made for console players. This game redefines tactical games, and it was about damn time!
  10. Nov 5, 2013
    It´s pure strategy and planning, and you just can't stop playing! The graphics are cartoon style but well made and beautiful, There are some RPG elements like skills and new weapons that make the game very dynamic. Great gameplay and music. The only issue it"s that became repetitive after a while, but definitely recommended!
  11. Nov 1, 2013
    Unique game! I couldn't stop playing til I finished it. Highly recommend especially for the price. Cant wait til next tomb and looking forward to dev's other projects as well. Easy paced and excellent tutorials. Even if you dont really like the supernatural elements like I do...this game is just pure fun. Music and artwork alone would have sold it for me...as they both are just awesome!
  12. Sep 18, 2013
    Pre-ordered this game from Steam. Great concept, good story, awkward controls, gets very hard very fast, gave up and moved on something else pretty quickly and didn't finish it.
  13. Aug 31, 2013
    Decent game I would give a 9/10, but no windowed mode and extremely long load times?
    Cmon, that's the most basic of elements and taught in game design 101, why? Along with that, I have not seen loading screens this long since the mid 90s, my computer as of mid 2013 is the highest of home computer standards, yet I have to wait sometimes up to 3 mins for a level to load.
  14. Aug 23, 2013
    Trash, complete and utter trash. The game starts off easy, then around level 6 (or whatever level ziplines are introduced) it gets impossible. Literally impossible. I'm a huge fan of hard games, but this game is so stupidly hard it's frustrating. I havn't seen this bad of a job at voice acting since my childhood school play. The gameplay is as repetitive as can be, and the graphics aren't even unique. Go buy something else, not this garbage. Expand
  15. Jul 27, 2013
    This is an excelent game for its price, is a new way of playing tower defense, you build your defenses and supplies on the day and control a character in the night where you defend your base. The graphics are nice for being cartoony,very fun gameplay, if you play on hard its very challenging which is something I always like in a game, good music, an ok story. It cloud get a 10 if it improved a little in some areas. This game brings a new experience with an idea not tried before and for only 15$ its much better than all of those 40$ first person shooter,unoriginal story and gameplay games, you should buy sang froid if you want to try a fun game with a different style. Expand
  16. Jun 10, 2013
    This is a very nice game with an interesting plot and a good gameplay, which is cleverly divided between action and strategy... the werewolves will not survive!
    For me Sang-Froid is a different game that can provide hours of fun.
  17. May 27, 2013
    the story and general feel is good, but its let down by uninspired game-play and poor mechanics, could have been a lot better.
  18. Apr 26, 2013
    Neat game that goes in my list of "good indie games" from the last 16 months or so with FTL, Hotline Miami and Legend of Grimrock. The mechanics are simple, but solid. The story is quite goofy, but dark. The graphics are cartoony, but not terrible, especially for a low-budget 3d game. Quite enjoying it. I hope there's some more added later.
  19. Apr 25, 2013
    This is my first time to write a comment for PC game, I am from Asia and I like strategy games. This game is excellent and people who like strategy with some action gametype should like it as well.
    Some minor bad things of this game
    1. Map (TAB) will not be shown after the enemy is show up.
  20. Apr 20, 2013
    I haven't finished the game yet (more than half way through), but I can tell this was made with both love and care. Combat is a little clunky and not exactly fluent, but it doesn't detract at all from the core of the game, which is basically a tower defence game.

- Very good atmosphere, sometimes tongue in cheek, other times not so much (and can even be a little bit dark).

- The
    story is simple, but intriguing and well presented.

- Very good tutorials for every game mechanic make the game easy to grasp, especially with the different enemy types and traps at your disposal.

- The game even manages to add some light RPG elements in the mix with some inventory management, character upgrades and gear upgrades as you play through. You can basically "build" a different character depending on your play-style (brawler, trapper, shooter).

It doesn't appear to be a "long" game, but for 15U$S I guess it doesn't have to be .

This game deserves your support!!
  21. Apr 17, 2013
    I love the premise and the story as well as the setting. It is very original in many ways but the combat is a bit awkward and the nights that you have to survive are not well balanced. Some nights you blow throw with ease while others rely on luck to survive rather than strategy. But I really think they have something here although it is under developed and under executed but is also something that could easily be expanded and improved with a bit more balancing and better execution. The voice acting is one major down fall of the game but its also not the worst. Expand
  22. Apr 12, 2013
    Folktales twist what is familiar into something beautiful & mysterious, a fantastic story that characterizes a place better than reality. This game is a Canadian folktale. It is a tale of the snowy frontier and the brave lumberjacks who lived there, where the Christian god and native spirits coexist, and the Devil's minions are fought off with cunning, traps, and whiskey. Like the best folk tales, it covers familiar ground, yet is unusual enough to stay lodged in your mind.

It plays like the love child of Orcs Must Die! and Rainbow Six, combining third-person defense with a Planning Phase. Although it looks like a tower defense game at first, it doesn't play like one; it's more methodical, cautious, toning down both the enemies and your own abilities. Each wave only has 4-10 enemies, but just one of them can threaten you in a straight-up fight and each of your traps only works once. You can't set new traps between waves, either; instead, you view your enemies' numbers and paths during the day, concoct a plan, and set up your traps before night falls. You do not funnel dozens of enemies into a growing Corridor of Death, you carefully lay out bait over spike traps to kill 3 of the incoming werewolves and rely on your rifle & axe to kill the last one.

Personal combat cycles between attacking and recovering: your 1850s rifle takes several seconds to reload after each shot and your melee attacks drain your Stamina bar until you take a breather. There's a Fear Factor that makes enemies hesitate before attacking you, giving you time to reload your rifle or recover your Stamina, but I found the best strategy was to make sure they were nearly dead before they reached me. I spent about 60% of my time in the Planning Phase, double-checking my trap placement and making sure I had some spare holy bullets & drink in case it fell apart. Sometimes they chewed through bait faster than I expected, or I'd miss a shot with a ballista, or they caught a whiff of my scent in the wind and beelined towards me, and I had to retreat to an emergency bonfire to keep them at bay while I picked them off one-by-one. Slowly reloading a rifle while two werewolves circled my bonfire was a slow-burn tension I don't experience often in games.

The game's story has the same pacing. It plays out like a folktale, not an action film. Over several weeks in December, two feuding brothers try to work out their relationship and protect their younger sister, who prophesizes the Invisible Beast will run rampant on Christmas Eve unless they stop him. The Devil wants to kidnap her, but here he acts more like the Trickster of myth than the final boss of a game, sending his minions after them and turning the townsfolk against them. Even the final boss feels subdued compared to other, more frantic games: you've gathered everything you need to defeat him, and now you just have to hunt him down in the dark woods, man-vs-beast, as heavy chanting punctuates the inevitability of it.

The folk music really sells the game's setting. They licensed several tunes from Canadian folk bands, providing haunting chants & violin pieces for the slower parts of the game and Irish jigs for the fights. It sounds like something you'd hear in a logging town pub on a cold wintry night, and is perfect for fighting werewolves deep in the Canadian wilderness. The graphics are a bit crude & cartoony, but they fit well enough with the folktale style that I didn't mind them. There were even a few times I just stopped to look at the moon rising over the dark forest.

My biggest gripe about the game is that the controls occasionally feel sticky & clumsy. Sometimes it took multiple attempts to drag inventory around during Planning, or I would focus attacks on the wrong beast during the night. It was a bit frustrating at times, but I never lost a fight due to it, and with the game's emphasis on planning instead of action, it didn't come up often.

It certainly shouldn't stop you from trying this game. It's a defense game that emphasizes planning & care and gives it the feel of a frontier folktale. I've grown bored of tower defense games, but I'd love to see where they take these mechanics, and the continuing tale of the O'Carroll brothers, next.

Sang-Froid can be bought on Steam for $15. It took me 7 hours to complete the game on Normal difficulty.
  23. Apr 12, 2013
    As a big fan of defence games, I was pleased when I stumbled across this game a couple of months ago when it was available as a beta on Steam. The Tower Defence genre has became a little stale over the past year with only a couple of worthy releases, one being a mobile game! However, where this game shines is the additional gameplay features, namely the 3rd person combat. Whilst this has been done before in the form of Dungeon Defenders, this game, for the most, is heavily focused on being in the right place to fight against the varied lycens that the game throws at you, whereas the former relies heavily on the right towers and you collecting gems to upgrade them.....................One thing I like about this game is its difficulty level. Veteran TD players will find a reasonable challenge using the normal character, but for the very talented few, most will find the harder character a worthy test, and one that will keep you replaying maps to fine tune your plan of execution.........Grahpically, this game won't make anyone stand back in amazement, but the small development team have done themselves proud and look like they are doing well with the marketing side of things........The music in the game is very, erm "Canadian" in as such there is a lot of traditional folk songs which actually lend well to the scenario........Support seems to be something this developer is keen to keep an eye on, and they commuicate well on their website and the Steam forums. Regular patches that fix bugs, balance mechanics and that actually try to include suggestions from it's community bodes well for the planned Tome II which may at some point include a form of co-op!.......I recommend this game to anyone who longs for the days of something that challenges and stimulates your intellect, yet doesn't punish those who aren't exactly great when it comes to twitch reactions in combat....9/10 Would've got 10 if it weren't for the slightly lacklustre cut scenes and need for more story animation (I know its expensive). Expand
  24. Apr 12, 2013
    Game is amazing, go buy it now, not much else to say!

Amazing music, good gameplay, some great ideas, good atmosphere and it is a hell of alot of fun to play. Yet another great indie game for PC, if you own a gaming PC and enjoy defense games or strategy games like Xcom, check this out!

Oh yeah, it is also hilarious and is canadian, check it out!
  25. Apr 12, 2013
    This is decidedly average game. It's not that it's bad, it's just that it could have been so much better. They went for a 'stylised' look, but it's neither cartoony or real (it mixes in both) and comes off looking awkward, the gameplay is one-dimensional when compared to better games (such as Defence Grid or Sanctum), and the completely flat voice acting just sucks any remaining personality out of the game. It's novel for about ten minutes, but not worth the money. And this is from someone who loves werewolf movies.

Someone out there is eventually going to do this right. This just feels dull and uninspired by comparison. And for a game that supposedly has a known writer on board, I haven't encountered anything that's tried so hard to put me to sleep in a while. It's just... dull. It's not bad, you know? It's just soul-crushingly dull. If you're looking for a tower defence game, then you could do much, much better, and not much worse. Try out Defence Grid or Sanctum instead. You'll be better off.
  26. Apr 11, 2013
    Sang-Froid is an action strategy hybrid, with some light RPG elements mixed in. You play as one of two lumberjack brothers, protecting your sister from werewolves and other enemies in the Canadian wilderness. The game consists of two phases. The strategy phase occurs during the day, where you set out traps, and purchase supplies and upgrades. At night, you put your planning to the test, as you try to lure your enemies into your traps, and engage in melee or range combat.
    The gameplay features several fun and innovative mechanics. "Fear factor" is a numerical value assigned to your character and each enemy. If you have a higher fear factor than an enemy, it will cower in fear and not attack you. Various skills and items affect fear factor, allowing you to use it to your advantage. You can also use sound and smell to lure enemies into your traps. You have to be clever with your trap placement, or you will be quickly overwhelmed. The difficulty level feels about right. It may take a few tries to complete a level, but you will learn something every time so it doesn't get frustrating.
    The story is well written, and it get darker as the game progresses. One thing that really stands out is the music in the game. The terrific folk music fits perfectly with the game, as well as standing on its own as one of the best soundtracks I've ever heard in a game.
    The voice acting is a bit uneven. Some of it is pretty good, but some of it is not. The campaign, while decently long (it took me a bit over 12 hours to finish it), doesn't have a ton of replay value. It seems that just as you get all different toys and traps that the game has, it's almost over. There is a hard mode, but it's not that different from normal. A new game+ mode would have fit perfectly here.
    Overall, Sang-Froid is a great game that belongs in the collection of every action/strategy fan.
  27. Apr 9, 2013
    Idea carina, ma non coinvolge più di tanto, si poteva fare qualcosa in più dal comparto grafico. Prezzo onesto. Fiducioso in una possibile futura release.
  28. Apr 7, 2013
    One of the most unique games I've played, and lots of fun. The traps are all thoughtfully designed, and none of them seem redundant. They must be used carefully and in concert with each other, and this makes planning your defense interesting, varied, and challenging. The atmosphere of the game is fantastic. Really haven't been this pleasantly surprised in a long time. And for $15 you should go get it. Expand
  29. Apr 6, 2013
    This game is very well designed. The character skill tree is interesting and they put in a lot of interesting choices in there. ie: Do I bring my blessed axe that's super effective against demonic creatures or the silver axe that's super effective against shapeshifters. The planning phase is great fun and then executing on your plan is a blast.
    Only thing I didn't like too much is the
    cinematics sometimes, they're pretty weird. Expand
  30. Apr 6, 2013
    I dont often play that kind of game but for some reason i fel in love whit this one. First of all like others have noted, the ambiance is awesome and immersive. Then there's the brilliant game desing whit new mecanics that will be stolen by other games for sure. And the cherry on the cake is the great story whit let's face it not so great voice acting but it does the job. All and all i seriously rccomend this game and for the litle price they are asking it's really whort it Expand
  31. Apr 6, 2013
    One of the most well-executed action/strategy games I've ever encountered, and I've played a few. Great trap synergy, a vast skill tree and a well thought-out preparation system allows for some fantastic strategizing and variation of gameplay. The controls are tight and every wolf you kill feels satisfying, be it with your axe, gun or one of your many traps. Definitely among my top 20 games.
  32. Apr 5, 2013
    It's very rare that I'm so pleasantly surprised by a spontaneous investment. Were one to look solely at the surface, one would conclude that Sang-Froid offers a relatively familiar action/defense mashup. Two facets serve to dispute that claim, and one completely destroys it. First, Sang-Froid offers numerous skills and monetary investments which allow for varied and interesting character builds. Second, the narrative is relatively intriguing and above par for the majority of games in this genre. What really seals the deal, though, is the fascinating fear mechanism present in Sang-Froid. Your chosen hero utilizes attacks, strategic tactics and light/fire in the attempt to dominate his werewolf opponents into believing the hero is the alpha of their pack. This gameplay element allows for many different playstyles and keeps the game from getting stale. Buy it for the story and atmosphere. Buy it for the traps and combat. Buy it for the innovative fear mechanism. Fifteen dollars hasn't bought this much in a long, long while, and you owe it to yourself to support this enjoyable experience. Collapse
  33. Apr 5, 2013
    Sang-Froid: Tales of Werewolves is very creative and unique "tower-defense" with a great and new game play ideas. One of the first thing the player may notice is the creative and interesting story-line which tells a tale of two brothers and their sister (who is possessed by the Devil) in Lower Canada in the year of 1858. You choose to play as one of the brothers, Jack or Jos. During night you fight of the different enemies (like werewolves) and during the day you set out the traps around the map which will help you to fight off enemies during day. Over-all the game is really interesting to play and I would have given it 10/10 if not two reasons. REASON #1: No Multiplayer. Just like in the first "Orcs Must Die" you can not share the experiences with a friend, which really surprises since the game gives you to characters to play as. REASON #2: Bad voice-over acting. As a gamer who really likes to get into a well plotted game, I was really disappointed by the voice over. It was not absolutely bad, but in some moments I found my self being bored by some of the conversations characters have. Even though it is not a big deal for the game, I expected a lot more. In all other cases Sang-Froid: Tales of Werewolves is a must-buy for all lovers of tower defense games. Expand
  34. Apr 5, 2013
    One of the best takes on Canadian Quebecois folklore intertwined into a RTS setting. Didn't know what to expect from this game but I'm impressed, especially by the storyline
  35. Apr 5, 2013

1. Mar 25, 2014
    Sang-Froid is a tower defense and action game fun mix that will suck you in. Its always the same setting won't annoy you until you hit the very ending. However, thanks to its constant additions of new traps and creatures, the game stays entertaining till the end where you get roughly after six or seven hours.
  2. Aug 6, 2013
    Sang-Froid has its share of flaws, most of which are typical for indie games, but it is easy to overlook them – after all, not every ‘tower defense’ offers an original concept, cool gameplay mechanics, and a captivating story.
  3. Aug 2, 2013
    Despite the simplicity of the combat system it’s hard to quit this game. [CD-Action 09/2013, p.71]