8.2

1. Apr 21, 2011
    This game is NOT for people with short attention-spans or intolerance for progressive gameplay. This game starts off slow but interesting, you need to be attentive and observant to notice what you need to do next. Reading and conceiving a story is part of the game as well, it's more about being involved rather then getting some gold sparkly achievement.

And when it starts getting creepy,

And when it starts getting creepy, you WILL know, Dead Space or Silent Hill can't creep/scare the crap out of you like this game when it begins sinking its teeth in. Haven't felt this creeped out since Amnesia: The Dark Decsent. I only mentioned Dead Space as a marker for certain people. Dead Space is pretty tame, the type of game that 'might' of scared me when I was 12 =p

Oh and yeah, I love this game! If only I had this game sooner.

MUST: Play the game at night, with headphones on, with the lights off.
  2. Sep 20, 2013
    Although the title font and color might lead one to assume that this is just a throwaway horror flick, Scratches actually provides a compelling game experience. While it may not add much to the point-and-click adventure scene, this really ought not count against it; in a time when point-and-clicks are really made purely for the sake of classicism more than innovation, this game does aAlthough the title font and color might lead one to assume that this is just a throwaway horror flick, Scratches actually provides a compelling game experience. While it may not add much to the point-and-click adventure scene, this really ought not count against it; in a time when point-and-clicks are really made purely for the sake of classicism more than innovation, this game does a great job of capturing the spirit of the genre. This set aside, the game offers a story which keeps the player guessing through the end, and provides a good dose of suspense and an occasional jump to go with it. The visuals are stunning, as well as the sound layers; both do a good job of attaining a solid feeling of immersion, very similar to reading a good suspense novel. All in all, this game may not look like much from the outset, but it has a lot to offer to the right player. Expand
  3. Sep 11, 2010
    A genuinely creepy game, thanks to a fully realized disturbing setting and some very creepy ambient music. The first phase of the game can get a little tedious (you have to search the entire house before it will allow the story to move forward), but once it starts going the mystery will engross you. There was one very good scare in the game, and one sequence near the end that was somewhatA genuinely creepy game, thanks to a fully realized disturbing setting and some very creepy ambient music. The first phase of the game can get a little tedious (you have to search the entire house before it will allow the story to move forward), but once it starts going the mystery will engross you. There was one very good scare in the game, and one sequence near the end that was somewhat disturbing. In the final analysis, a very good game. Expand
  4. Apr 22, 2013
    Very good game, very creepy and isolated. You feel vulnerable, and alone as you move through the house. I was seriously creeped out after the first night. When a game makes you terrified to go into the living room, you know it's good. Excellent puzzles and unwinding story. Great music too!
  5. Jan 12, 2013
    An absolutely enthralling storyline, and the whole setting is very atmospheric; it feels like you're in the shoes of the main character. I would've easily given this game a 10/10 if it weren't for it's disgustingly specific puzzles and the fact that you can't walk freely. As other people have said, you WILL need a walkthrough for this, unless you're either the developer of the gameAn absolutely enthralling storyline, and the whole setting is very atmospheric; it feels like you're in the shoes of the main character. I would've easily given this game a 10/10 if it weren't for it's disgustingly specific puzzles and the fact that you can't walk freely. As other people have said, you WILL need a walkthrough for this, unless you're either the developer of the game himself, or some kind of mastermind. The puzzles have extremely specific solutions that about 99.99% of people can't figure out, but even with a walkthrough this game is totally worth it! Now if you could walk around freely this would be so much better, I get that walking step by step may have made the game easier to make, and slowed it down so you don't rush through it, but seriously, if you could walk around it would feel so much more like you were in the character's shoes instead of watching a panoramic slideshow. The game (while using a walkthrough) is amazing, has perfect timed discoveries to keep you entertained and addicted and wanting to know more, has awesome voice acting, and can scare the hell out of you at some points. And who doesn't like a good scare? It took me about 6 hours to complete it with a walkthrough. Without one, you just have to go through countless trial and error for tens of hours and at that point it takes a lot away from the overall effect the game will have on you, if you don't just trash it and never play it again. Use a walkthrough, and immerse yourself in an atmospheric and mysterious world and discover the murder of Mrs. Blackwood. Do yourself a favor and buy this game! Expand
  6. Jan 20, 2013
    If you love books as much as point-and-click games, you should definitely try Scratches. It's not only about an author solving a mystery, for me the whole game felt like reading a very compelling book. Some puzzles were a bit difficult, but most of the time I was like "what would I do next?" or "what would I do in this situation?" and it worked. It's kind of difficult to remember everyIf you love books as much as point-and-click games, you should definitely try Scratches. It's not only about an author solving a mystery, for me the whole game felt like reading a very compelling book. Some puzzles were a bit difficult, but most of the time I was like "what would I do next?" or "what would I do in this situation?" and it worked. It's kind of difficult to remember every thing in every room, so I would recommend writing things down or even draw a map of the house and surroundings.
    What bothered me was that there's no tutorial at the beginning (for example, I had no idea how to access the inventory), the items in your bag are not labeled, so you don't know exactly what they are and you really do have a lot of clicking to do.
  7. HarryP.
    Mar 10, 2006
    A well produced, and exciting adventure game.
  8. JerryB.
    Mar 5, 2006
    A thrilling, and creepy horror adventure! A must for fans of the genre.
  9. RemcoE.
    Sep 20, 2006
    Masterpiece the atmosphere is very good and gripping you feel the sadness in the house of what happend you want to stay there till you finished the story and then still you wonder what really happend when you are an horror fan this is just it. ignore those critics with unfair reviews ( one review says the game is bad because it has the classic point and click system, but this game is made Masterpiece the atmosphere is very good and gripping you feel the sadness in the house of what happend you want to stay there till you finished the story and then still you wonder what really happend when you are an horror fan this is just it. ignore those critics with unfair reviews ( one review says the game is bad because it has the classic point and click system, but this game is made with the classic method in mind). Expand
  10. EdgarP.
    Apr 24, 2006
    Excellent story, excellent graphics and excellent audio. Superb game!
  11. Feb 3, 2014
    Scratches creates an immersive feeling that creeps along building suspense and at times has you gasping at the edge of your seat, afraid of what is around the next corner or door. The beautiful ominous environment along with a deep dark haunting story sucks you into this puzzling thriller with lingering chilling fright. Play at night with the lights out, if you dare.

However, this

However, this point-and-click adventure game is for people that have more than average patience; those who don’t mind taking time searching, clicking, exploring, reading, studying clues, solving brain-scratching puzzles, and figuring out the mind-bending actions to advance the story line. Many fans of the game admit using an online guide to complete certain game sections – while still enjoying the beautiful haunting suspenseful atmosphere and the creepy engrossing story while having frightful fun in trying to solve a good horror mystery.

This game is not for those who do not have a great deal of patience, get frustrated in taking time trying to figure out how to manipulate things to progress a story, find difficulty immersing themselves in a subtle slow suspenseful environment, and/or have trouble putting themselves in a character's shoes.
  12. Nov 26, 2013
    This is a very well done horror title. The story, voice acting, and atmosphere are all well done. The only drawback is it is a little low-tech, even for a 2006 game. If you aren't worried about that, and enjoy horror games, check this one out.
  13. Aug 22, 2016
    An all time great. Loved the duology story, loved the music and the atmosphere is incredible. One of my favourite parts of this game were the pieces of diary notes you'd find as you explore the house and learn more about its previous owner, it's very well written and engrossing. By the end you'll have experienced one of the best horror games with a gripping story, a likable main characterAn all time great. Loved the duology story, loved the music and the atmosphere is incredible. One of my favourite parts of this game were the pieces of diary notes you'd find as you explore the house and learn more about its previous owner, it's very well written and engrossing. By the end you'll have experienced one of the best horror games with a gripping story, a likable main character and a well made exploration game which you'll never forget. Expand
  14. KevinB.
    Jul 21, 2006
    The only reason this game scared the crap out of me, was because I was playing in the dark with the volume turned ALL the way up. And then it struck me: this game isn't scarey without the soundtrack! Freaking crazy music makes this game fairly interesting. It also has a farily confusing story plot, that, if you figure out, is rather quite good.
    Jun 4, 2006
    Story was good, but the game itself put me to sleep. Endless clicking with little reward. If you're going to make me click 300 times to accomplish a goal, at least give me some cool cutscene. There were only 2 of those by the way...intro and ending. This should have been a book rather than a game.
  16. ChrisArnone
    Mar 5, 2007
    The problems start right up front with poor production values. The supposedly 'huge' Victorian mansion really isn't so huge, and the graphics are sub-par, especially for computer games. All the voice actors sound like Californians pretending to be British or Brits too concerned with using real British colloquialisms on Americans. The mood of the game is good and dark,The problems start right up front with poor production values. The supposedly 'huge' Victorian mansion really isn't so huge, and the graphics are sub-par, especially for computer games. All the voice actors sound like Californians pretending to be British or Brits too concerned with using real British colloquialisms on Americans. The mood of the game is good and dark, though not really creepy, not nearly so as Fatal Frame 2, for instance. There is very little reward for solving puzzles and half the time you spend wandering aimlessly or talking on the phone just to advance the story. The ending is anticlimactic. Go after the Shivers series if you want a good, creepy 1st person puzzle game. Expand
  17. Apr 29, 2011
    It's impossible without a walkthrough. Linear storyline in an open "world" means lots of wasted time looking stuff over and over. The story, voice acting, and especially the music are good, but this is just a terrible "game". It would be quite entertaining to watch it unfold as some veteran played through it. But the puzzles are too hard. You have to know what to do. I have two dozenIt's impossible without a walkthrough. Linear storyline in an open "world" means lots of wasted time looking stuff over and over. The story, voice acting, and especially the music are good, but this is just a terrible "game". It would be quite entertaining to watch it unfold as some veteran played through it. But the puzzles are too hard. You have to know what to do. I have two dozen items and a hundred interactive points. Mostly the puzzles don't make sense. But the music and sound effects are phenomenal. They are they only redeeming factors to give it two points. And story. That is three. Expand
  18. Aug 5, 2015
    I've heard people rant and rave about this "horror game". It took me a long time to track down a physical copy of this stupid game and by the time I did get one... It didn't work. The game is old enough to have compatibility issues with new versions of windows, there's also a bug that I ran into the causes the game to crash every time.

Technical issues withstanding, this game is not

Technical issues withstanding, this game is not only slowly paced, but completely uneventful. I am a huge horror fan, but I came into this expecting some sort of actual horror game, instead it's really just a writer walking around being freaked out.

In the end, the game writers left it up to you to draw your own conclusion if there was actually anything paranormal or if it was all just in your character's head, which frankly, is lazy writing no matter how you try to defend it.

Contrived, slow, stupid, poor writing, bad pacing, outdated. This game isn't worth any sort of time investment.

1. It's the standard point-and-click adventure/horror/mystery game that has been around for years. The ability to look around to several different areas of the same area is a welcomed feature but results in some problems in moving to different areas in the game.
    If you're an adventure gaming veteran, especially if you like the horror / creepy / gothic-type atmosphere, then Scratches is for you. It's a solid game although a bit on the short side as you may be able to get through it in less than a day.
  3. It's got some nice touches, but in the end, it's too buggy, too cliched, and too uninteresting to come to the head of its class.