Secret Files: Tunguska PC

7.3

1. Feb 13, 2016
    All the components of a bad Pn'C adventure are there:
    - Gormless inventory combinations. And since at times your character tells you that she won't do something until she has a good reason, it's particularly baffling: you'll endure throngs of actions that make no sense to you, the player.
    All the components of a bad Pn'C adventure are there:
    - Abysmal voice acting with intonations all other the place and ridiculous accents that make even a non English native speaker cringe.
    - Dialogues ranging from asinine to infantile.
    - Pixel hunting, despite the existence of a hot spots key.
    - Responses to a small set of possible actions only.
    - A terribly annoying main character, moreover afflicted with nasal logorrhea.
    - No humour. Or more likely failed humour.
    - Dull scenery. For a couple of nice landscapes, you'll spend most of your time in bland rooms, not to forget a truly disgusting toilet scene.
    - Generic plot, complete with conspiracy, nonsensical motivations, unrealistic science, plot-holic events, all good for a parodic game but rather distracting here.
    - All puzzles so easy that they are completed in 10 seconds tops with minimal thinking.
    - And much, much more !

The visuals are fine. The atmospheric background sound is often quite good, although not fully translated (like the German voices heard through walls in a Cuban asylum.) The interface is average. All in all, there are worse games out there, on a technical standpoint, but this one is definitely not pleasant to play.
  2. Sep 8, 2012
    i decided to delete my review, because 5000 characters are not enough for me and mainly because there is no possibility for paragraphes here. the rating represents my current rating of the game.
  3. Jan 2, 2012
    When I started the game, I noticed a few things: (1) The voice acting wasn't great. (2) The dialog was....not good. Sometimes embarassing. And (3) the puzzles were the 'combine some items' type, which are a good adventure game staple....but there were about as contrived as 'puzzles' of this type get. Before long, I was sick to death of guessing what inane 'improptu tool' I was supposed toWhen I started the game, I noticed a few things: (1) The voice acting wasn't great. (2) The dialog was....not good. Sometimes embarassing. And (3) the puzzles were the 'combine some items' type, which are a good adventure game staple....but there were about as contrived as 'puzzles' of this type get. Before long, I was sick to death of guessing what inane 'improptu tool' I was supposed to make with the things in my inventory. And the voice acting was, all to often, bordering on abysmal. (To be fair, a few of the actors do a good job...and I feel like those were the same voices that seemed familiar from anime dubs.) But between the weird 'never use contractions' thing, the odd phrasing and word choice (that I imagine stems from the US version of the game being translated from a non-English language original), the fourth-wall stuff ("I managed to open the door! Don't you love playing adventure games where the main character addresses the audience?") and the main character's voice acting being all over the place in terms of quality, I was having a hard time bringing myself to slog through this game. So...I looked up a walkthrough. I don't like wasting money by buying a game then just plowing through it, but this game wasn't giving me a reason to play it. So by the time I finished the game, I'd seen the extent of its dull, inane, meandering story; I'd heard plenty more bad voice acting; I'd enjoyed plenty of robotic animation; I'd had to play 'hunt for the pixels that I can click on to find an item that the walkthrough tells me is there' more times than I'd liked; and I'd gone through puzzles that, had I played the game organically, probably would have meant resorting to systematically trying to combine everything in my inventory until I stumbled across the right pairing. I wouldn't recommend this game to anyone unless they'd run out of other adventure games to play and needed one that would probably taken them a long time to get through. Upside: the game runs without crashing. That's worth a 2, I suppose. Expand
  4. AE
    Dec 21, 2009
    Although the story starts off pretty good, it turns into a sack of "what's happening" quite soon halfway into the game. Some of the dialogues made me wonder if the developers even looked / listened to it themselves. Worst part about the game must be some of the puzzles, where there's absolutely no hint, just trial and error and the solution is something rather over-the-top. At Although the story starts off pretty good, it turns into a sack of "what's happening" quite soon halfway into the game. Some of the dialogues made me wonder if the developers even looked / listened to it themselves. Worst part about the game must be some of the puzzles, where there's absolutely no hint, just trial and error and the solution is something rather over-the-top. At some point you even have to go back to the very beginning to pick something up that has never been there before. The ending is a bit "meh" as if they ran out of ideas. Another thing that had me groan a few times is the walking speed which cannot be adjusted. The graphics look pretty decent for its time and there's plenty of original stuff in there as well. All in all, it's a very decent point and click game which has the continue-to-play value, but mostly a 1-time-experience. Collapse
  5. SvenSomething
    Nov 9, 2008
    the interface is good. the graphic is okay (for an adventure game). the story is weak. but worst of all is the puzzle design: you spend most of the time moving the mouse cursor inconsiderately across the whole screen, trying to find out the one and only working combination. there are not even comments if you try something different. nothing. obviously the game designers did not ask the interface is good. the graphic is okay (for an adventure game). the story is weak. but worst of all is the puzzle design: you spend most of the time moving the mouse cursor inconsiderately across the whole screen, trying to find out the one and only working combination. there are not even comments if you try something different. nothing. obviously the game designers did not ask themselves what approaches the players will try and how the game should react to it. no, the contrary is the case: the player has to guess what the game designers cooked up. and if he finally found the solution by monotonous trial&error then often it is so far-fetched that the player wonders why none of the other 99 far more plausible actions he tried before did work (or got at least a response). puzzle design is the most important thing in an adventure game. even more important than graphic or story. there are adventure games which are fun to play in spite of laughable stories or poor graphics, just because of good design. unfortunately puzzle design is where "secret files: tunguska" fails. Expand
  6. WouterC.
    Jun 6, 2007
    It is not perfect, but it is one of the most enjoyable adventures in years... just slightly worse than The Longest Journey (which has a deeper story/plot).
  7. PeterK.
    Jan 28, 2007
    Agreed with Ben H. It's a well-worked-out game in every respect.
  8. BenH.
    Dec 16, 2006
    There is something wrong with the critics who gave this a low score. Look at the user votes.. One should rate this by its Genre. This is an incredibly fun point and click game. It is very addictive and probably the best point and click i have ever played. I feel sorry for the critics as i doubt they got through it without a walkthrough, if the even got through it.

Secret Files: Tunguska signifies a new era for point and click adventures, both in terms of playability and stylistically - don't miss it!
  2. It makes some small progress in freeing point-and-click from the needless bonds of tradition but is it really a compelling, imaginative experience that proves mouse-based adventuring isn't dead? Nope. Not even close.
  3. A highly-polished game, but suffers from an uninspired design. While it remains mostly pleasant to play, it is not as satisfying an experience as it ought to have been.