6.8

1. Sep 16, 2011
    Very polished initial release from Paradox and a significantly more accessible than their other grand strategy titles. It has a similar look and feel to Europa Universalis, Victoria, Hearts of Iron, Crusader Kings but the mechanisms are a bit simpler. Of course the focus of each game is quite different. Where Victoria is about industrialization and Hearts of Iron is about the tech race, resources and grand battles, Sengoku focuses on family clans and honor. The goal of the game is to unite Japan during the Warring States period, not an easy challenge. This game offers 3 playable tiers of hierarchy in the dynasty system, the ability to plot within and outside of your dynasty, to break away and form your own clan or take over your clan from within. The tech tree is very simple offering two linear trees: castles for military and villages for economy. You control 3 operatives, your Masters of Arms, Ceremony, and Guard, which have different functions from constructing upgrades to hiring ninjas to sowing dissent. Finally, a sophisticated marriage system ensures maintaining the family line, genetic traits, relationships between clans, and a full court from which to choose your operatives and daimyos. Overall, if you haven't tried a Paradox title of this nature, this may be the one to jump in on. You will still likely have a steep learning curve but the manual is very well written and the hint system is fantastic and far exceeds any Paradox game to date. With its limited objectives, constrained set up operations, and smaller map, Sengoku offers a highly accessible title. Veteran Paradox gamers will also enjoy Sengoku's simplicity and shorter time frame allowing focus on fewer moving parts while you race against Japan's other rising clans to claim the title of Shogun! Expand
  2. Sep 16, 2011
    Great game from Paradox, with a distinctively different focus than most of their other grand strategy games. If you like complex, in-depth diplomacy, you will love this one. It still has steep learning curve for a person not familiar with other Paradox games, but it's less intimidating than many of them.
  3. Sep 21, 2011
    Spent YEARS playing EU2, spent MONTHS playing Vicci (ONE), spent WEEKS playing Crusader Kings, spent minutes playing this pile of junk. Please Paradox. DO NOT RELEASE THE SAME GAME OVER AND OVER AGAIN. â
  4. Sep 17, 2011
    Video games with a serious approach to this particular dramatic period of the Japanese history are few and far between. In fact, the only ones worth mentioning on the PC are Sengoku, and of course Total War: Shogun. The problem with Total War though is that the cinematic real-time battles get boring after a short while and you find yourself playing on the over top map most of the time. And this is where Sengoku outshines Shogun, in the strategic department. The game puts really deep emphasis on characters, and their relations to one another, on plotting and preserving your honor. It even adds a, dare I say, roleplaying aspect to the game. Of course, warring is a necessary part of your rise to power, as well, since you need to conquer half of the provinces in order to beat the game. Expand
  5. Sep 18, 2011
    Once again, paradox interactive shows it's fans the true meaning of not providing a decent manual to enjoy their products. This time out, the Interface is slightly improved but poorly optimised for resolutions above the norm. The game in itself, requires the player to have a working knowledge of previous paradox games, namely Crusader Kings and EUII: Rome. Like most Strategy Titles from Paradox, this latest offering offers little, it's Crusader Kings set in Japan. After playing their titles for over a decade, one starts to wonder if this little company that could, offer something new other than re-skinned offerings. Sengoku is perhaps the least buggy release ever released by Paradox. No game breaking bugs, no mysterious crashes to desktop and no nagging lag after playing it for a couple of hours. Hallmarks of every Paradox title till this one. The game in itself is fun, if you enjoy managing data and nurturing numbers. Sadly Paradox still doesn't get 'it' that the reason why many table top gamers have migrated to the digital age is to not have to 'roll' the dice, crunch the numbers and look up statistical tables. If you enjoy paint dry by nippon 3-in-1, this game is for you,. While the gameplay is quite deep and the learning curve steep from a lack of proper documentation, the game is overall 'quite fun' for 'strategy' gamers who enjoy running Excel together with their gameplay.

For fans of the strategy genre, there's better fare out there.

For Paradox Fanbois, there's nothing new here, so stop coming here and try to artificially push the ratings up. It's not that great a game.

The only ground breaking thing that Paradox did was to release a game that did not crash on day one.
  6. Sep 21, 2011
    If you have never played another Paradox title before you should avoid this game. Go for EU3, Victoria 2 or HoI3. All three of them are cheaper and better. No tutorial and no manual for a game like this is ridiculous. The interface needs some major work. Apart from that the mechanics seem solid but wholly unremarkable and lack true innovation that sets it apart. After a few patches the game could potentially become good enough to be worth its money. Expand
  7. Sep 20, 2011
    I think that I am Paradox fanboi as i own or at least played i think every their Europa-like game. Some gave me more fun then other and for example i love EU3 and after all expansions that i have it's just masterpiece for me - the same with hoi2. But with Hoi 3 they went to far for me making it just too big and complex. Here - in Sengoku - at least till patches and expansions (if there will be any) they went in totally opposite direction dumbing in down too much. Actually i think it's first game from series where i totally don't care about diplomacy and intelligence coz there is just no point. i use only 2 diplomacy options - declare war and royal marriage to get new breeding cow to get as much hairs asap. all other options or the whole plotting system is just waste of time. and when you even manage to persuade some neutral lord to join you, you will only get into your influence 1 untrustworthy bastard that will most likely start to plot against you anyway. It's much better (and doesn't even cost much more) to just conquer him. And this is my biggest problem with Sengoku - it's to easy to declare war - it cost you only some portion of honor points- 20 for example - and in the same time for every conquered province given to your vassals you'll get 3 points back. So basically attacking clan that has at least 6 provinces (80% of them) will cost you nothing - no tatered reputation and giving casus belli against you for every other country, no war exhaustion that would destroy you from inside with permanent war and so on. you just have to conquer those weaker than you to collect enough honor to attack another one. You dont even have to care for your own provinces as you can have only 5 of them, and every other have to be given to vassals. So you just permanently taking for yourself those conquered with best infrastructure coz computer will build them up much faster than you can anyway. So for me Sengoku is 90% focused at conquering and 10% for diplomacy, plotting and governing provinces. It's still fun but EU series was for me always about diplomacy. here you can manage with diplomacy skill of neanderthal. Expand
  8. Sep 16, 2011
    It's quite an interesting game I think. It's not in the same mold as most Paradox games as it forces you to be very aggressive and conquest minded (understandable as you need to unite Japan) but it was fairly polished and bug free upon release. Beautiful graphics and a very well done atmosphere. I'd like to see an expansion with the Imjin wars versus Korea/Ming in the future.
  9. Sep 22, 2011
    A Game with a extremely sharp learning curve. The lack of tutorial and the bare minimum manual further exasperated the problem. Once you understood how the game works however, it becomes rather addictive.
  10. Sep 16, 2011
    Well, its a competent enough strategy game, but I defy anyone to play this and not wonder, "Why am I playing this and not Shogun 2 Total War"? I'm really not a fan of this style of game to be qquite honest, and other than civ, I rarely tolerate a TBS that doesn't let me control my own troops instead of auto-determing battles based on strengths.
  11. Sep 16, 2011
    It's a good strategy game, but I would be amazed if most people stuck around long enough to find that out. There is absolutely no tutorial, and the mouse over tips aren't always what you are looking for. If you haven't played any of paradox's previous games, and you don't like learning by trial and error, I would stay the hell away from this game. If you don't mind mind a steep learning curve and some frustrating, what the hell do I do know moments, I would absolutely recommend he game. Because once I actually figured out what I was doing I loved it.

One more thing, while this didn't bother me personally I'll mention it anyways because I know it will disappoint some people. If you like involved combat in your strategy games stay away, as this is more or less Risk where the larger army wins and it does the dice rolling behind the scenes.
  12. Sep 16, 2011
    A fairly shameful display if you ask me. I spent thirty minutes flying around the map wondering what was going on. I should've learned from the shoddy demo that it wasn't worth my money. Refund?
  13. Sep 16, 2011
    Absolutely gorgeous grand strategy game, with a bit faster pace than other pardox titles and lighter on the economic site this character driven gem is absolutely addictive.
    You have to put some effort in learning the gameplay of course (e.g. reading the manual), thirty minutes of flying around the map won't do the job. Maybe the previous critic (andreks) should try tic tac toe (the war
    edition) as deep strategy is certainly not his domain..... For the serious strategy gamer sengoku is highly recommended. Expand
  14. Sep 16, 2011
    Another nice game from Paradox. Beautiful, polished, and fun. An enjoyable exercise, pick up a copy of Sun Tsu's "Art of War" and put his principles into action.
  15. Sep 16, 2011
    "A great addition to the Paradox family of games. This is similar to EU:Rome, but a whole lot better. It is the game that EUR should have been. Overall it feels more complete, with the gameplay having more depth to it.

The range of strategy options is better and work v. well in the historical oriental setting. Whats more the level of intrigue develops from the onset far better than EUR.
    The new angle of honour and Seppuku hanging over the characters head w/ every decision made makes this a slightly different challenge than previous grand strategy titles.

Havent played enough of the game to see if any issues exist, encountered none so far. If you love grand strategy games and have a penchant for the Oriental setting like I have this is definitely one to get.

Will keep me happy till CK2 comes out. "
  16. Sep 16, 2011
    Great Strategy game revolving around diplomacy and plotting,l rather than just taking your rivals' stuff by force.
  17. Sep 16, 2011
    You need to spend a fair amount of time to learn the game. The lack of a tutorial is sad, but the manual is good. If you manage to "survive" the first couple of hours figuring things out, you're in for a treat with great strategic depth. It's one of those Paradox gems which will get even better with time thanks to its player community and lots of patches.
  18. Sep 16, 2011
    While the game does have a rather steep learning curve, once you figure it out you will be hooked. The atmosphere and music really set the right tone for this game, you may even begin to feel like a samurai after a while. Although there are still a few bugs, and this game may not be for everyone, but if you ever wanted to be a lord feudal Japan this is about as close as you can get.
  19. Sep 16, 2011
    It is a hard nut to crack but the reward is a satisfying deep strategy. This is the game i wanted when i bought shogun 2. It is a real pleasure starting as the lowest vassal working you way up to daimyou then to clan leader then to shogun. The subtle plot game to take leadership of the clan is some ways more fun than take the shogun title.
  20. Sep 16, 2011
    Not much seems to happen, so I was a bit disappointed. Maybe I'm playing it wrong. I don't think Paradox have made a bad bit of software, I generally like them in principle, but I wouldn't really call it a game. I prefer real-time battles, or other Paradox games like Mount & Blade.
  21. Sep 16, 2011
    I saw an ad for this so thought I'd download the Sengoku demo as its out this week. I spent my lunchtime trying to play it but had absolutely no idea what I had to do. There was a loads of text to read which is fine I guess, but no instructions so I ended up just randomly clicking on things. Couldn't work out who I was! The Japan map looked quite nice but there wasn't much happening. A tutorial would have been much more useful I think but I just couldn't get into it like Civ 4 and The Sims. I was just hoping to play with some ninjas! Oh well. Maybe if they release an easier demo or something Ill give it another go. Expand
  22. Sep 16, 2011
    This has quickly become one of my favorite games. It looks a little overwhelming at first, but it's actually quite simple compared to other paradox titles. When you click on things, a hint pops up. Read it, than click the don't show me again button for each one, and you understand. However, game play is a little dry, but Paradox is sure to fix that with patches and/or expansions. Make sure to download the demo first. Expand
  23. Sep 16, 2011
    One of the best out-of-the-box Paradox releases. It's certainly not a game for everyone -- but no paradox game is -- but if you have a little patience and a passion for strategy games, this character-based attempt at depicting Feudal Japan in all it's glory is an excellent choice.
  24. Sep 17, 2011
    The shame of some game developers knows no boundaries these days... Look at Paradox, for instance. They actually invite their FANBOY zealots to come here and vote for their 'favorite game' in order to RIG THE SCORE.

This is CORRUPTION at its best. Have a look at their forums and see for yourself how pathetic those people are:
    http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?560220-Sengoku-on-Metacritic Quoting one of their developers, who created that thread: "Based on a few negative ratings, we have a rather bad score on Metacritic that doesn't seem to reflect the general opinion of the game. If you like Sengoku, please show your support by registering your rating here". Shame on you! I have no more words to spend on this mediocrity of a game. This is one for the garbage bin, period. Expand
  25. Sep 17, 2011
    Great gameplay using warfare and conspiracies to unite Japan under the rule of your clan backed up by great graphics and music. The mechanics are deceptively simple (for a strategy game) but when you find yourself outnumbered and outgunned on all sides you really have to work hard to convince your neighbours to stand together or fall apart. My only significant issue with the game is that it's a bit clunky finding out who is willing to join your plots - but apparently a future patch will add a search box to make this easier. Expand
  26. Sep 17, 2011
    I don't know why everyone running in here to land a zero immediately begins to sputter about all reviews that has an opinion differing from their are "Paradox fanboys hired to give it a good review". Fanboys or not we seem to like the game and a review is a display of your personal opinion - nothing more nothing less. You gave the game a zero? Then it is simply not for you - you don't like it and you don't even have to state reason to validate that opinion. I give it a 9 as games can always get better, but I also happen to genuinely like this game. Which is why I give it a higher score than your zero.

And please, involving Paradox and "company corruption" in the same sentence? Urging its fans to vote up a game they like is not nearly as bad as, say, Bioware's employees voting Dragon Age 2 up. Don' get delusional.
  27. Sep 17, 2011
    A bit faster than the other paradox titles but still a great game.The graphic isn't really stunning but the game is complex enough and delivers so many possibilities that the graphic really gets non relevant .
  28. Sep 17, 2011
    Don't bother with this game, and by all means ignore the 10s that you see here on metacritic. It's only the fanboys/paradox people trying to push the score up. At least they didnt get my money...â
  29. Sep 17, 2011
    Click Expand for Full Review ================================================================================ A Comment on the Game, and Paradox's Vote Rigging: Some of the negative reviews are well deserved, and some of the positive reviews are bogus upvotes by people sent here by Paradox directly from their Forums (pathetic Paradox, you've sunk to a new low). Paradox may be telling it's fanboys to upvote this game, but it has many inherent flaws most notably in it's interface. This isn't a case of the wrong person reviewing the game, and a lot of the negativity isn't because the game isn't "dumbed down enough". This is a case of bad choices being made in designing the game. ================================================================================ The Positive: The game shines in it's intrigue and diplomacy, though the diplomacy itself is somewhat lacking in personality, it presents a variety of options and allows for lots of interesting scenarios. The limited number of provinces that can be effectively governed also paves the way for a vassal system that gets increasingly complex and intriguing as you progress through the game. ================================================================================ The Negative: The interface is unintuitive, and there are a lot of simple things they could have done to make the interface more user friendly. Because of how the interface is set up, the game is practically inaccessible to anyone who hasn't already invested massive amounts of time in it. Improving the interface wouldn't be "dumbing it down" it would be improving the interface, which has needed doing for several GSG's now. Other problems include the cities and armies being poorly represented on the map (technically an interface issue, but I distinguish it from the general UI). Between resigning and reloading there also appears to be a bug that causes the resignation and load times to get longer and longer. In terms of military might, more troops = victory 99% of the time, making the military aspects of strategy a mere numbers and deployment game. ================================================================================ Closing Comment: Behind the many flaws there's a great game, but the flaws should not be ignored by an objective reviewer. The fact is that most will not even be able to access the game, not because they're unintelligent as many Paradox Fanboys arrogantly like to delude themselves into believing, but because the unintuitive interface and lack of tool tips creates a prohibitive learning curve and most just don't have the patience or the time. Paradox doesn't need to dumb down it's games but it does need to learn to improve how it displays information, a side bar displaying information under various tabs would help a lot, as would mouse over tool tips to explain options better would be an improvement, and a better display of troops and cities on the map with more defined borders, and easier to distinguish clans on the normal map view. Paradox can't expect to get positive reviews when it makes games that are virtually unplayable without prior experience, and no amount of shameful vote rigging will negate the flaws with this game Expand
  30. Sep 17, 2011
    People who don't know how to play deep, rich computer strategy games shouldn't be writing Metacritic user reviews. They shouldn't be writing them for websites either, but that's another story.

I have played Paradox games since Europa Universalis I, this one is one of the best of the bunch. Right off of Steam I knew what to do, without checking the manual. What amazed me is the absolute
    attention to detail and care put into the scenario: This feels like Warring States Japan. The first thing you need to get a hold of is the pacing. Let time move slowly. Pay attention to your vassals and your family. That is the true heart of the game, on top of the strategic warfare.

Anyone who is a fan of serious historical political simulations or Far East medieval history will thrill for this game. Not for children, not for console kiddies, this is a real game. Absolutely recommended.
  31. Sep 17, 2011
    All around good and enjoyable game, the people who complain about the complexity and that it is too "hard" have no idea what they are talking about. The 'help' screens provided adequate information to learn the basics of the game and after playing for a while it is easy enough.
  32. Sep 18, 2011
    A very dedicated Dev team, and possibly the best Paradoxian release, none of the problems that the Hearts of Iron release suffered, the willingness to listen to the community is amazing
  33. Sep 19, 2011
    Fascinating strategy game set in feudal Japan with a focus on individual relationships and family politics as opposed to just resource management and large scale battles that dominate most games in the strategy genre. Another deep and thoughtful game from Paradox Interactive
  34. Sep 19, 2011
    In a nutshell: A glorified game of Risk. The Fanboys come here, at the request of the developers, to push the score up but this game just doesnt cut it. If you want a real strategy game, look elsewhere and dump this poor excuse of a game in the gutter, where it belongs. And Paradox, stop telling your Fanbois to come here and give it a high score. It's really pathetic to see such an insecure company...either make better games or live with the deserved low score. Expand
  35. Sep 19, 2011
    This is another great Paradox game. Offcourse this is a completely different league than the casual mainstream rts titles and it perhaps requires for once a bit thinking in order to enjoy this well made strategy game. It seems however, regarding some bad reviews, that these days strategy game players expect that the game plays "by itself" and that it has no tactical challenge but only graphical eyecatchers to offer. And frankly, I could give those kind of games, in which "a lot happens", a zero score, but I guess I wont as I don't try them in the first place. Expand
  36. Oct 2, 2011
    Sengoku will never be a great game, though it could be a good one with a little bit of work.

-Bugs: There are still plenty of them, some serious. For instance, players are being randomly defeated by a clan named "No Character". I had one game where I was unable to select my home territory. Sometimes, my court menu magically clears itself of courtiers, even though the missing courtiers
    remain attached to my clan and can still be seen in the "Characters" menu. I also had a string of games in which my 18-year-old character started with a 36-year-old son. Time travel!

-Graphics: Ugly, poorly anti-aliased text. Everything other than the text looks good.

-Needs a more detailed tutorial, or better tooltips. The manual explains game concepts at a broad level, but the player can't get a quantitative breakdown of where some things come from. For instance, shock strength, ranged strength, and the leader's martial ability determine an army's combat strength. But if you don't know the formula that's used, you can't make informed decisions. The Civilization series gets this right, and Sengoku should too.

The game isn't designed for replay value, and that's fine. If the bugs are fixed, it'll be well worth one or two plays.
  37. Oct 2, 2011
    If you like feudal Japan, political intrigue and deep strategy, then Sengoku should not be your entry point into games featuring those things. It's a very rewarding game, but requires a lot of patience and experimentation before you can find satisfaction. Once it all clicks though, it's very addictive and allows for great storytelling - betrayal, marriages of convenience, epic battles. Most of this is inferred through the gameplay however - some imagination is required, since the user interface is all business. The overall design is like a very advanced German board game. I recommend checking out the demo first - there are also some developer videos that explain some of the mechanics. Expand
  38. Nov 19, 2011
  39. Mar 22, 2012
    Hey Look! Shogun 2: Total War! I think I will just go play that instead.... I tried the demo and it wasn't to my taste. I was hoping for something with a bit more action, and all I got was lots of adjusting spreadsheets. But some people will like this style of "intense strategy", so try the demo you've got nothing to lose.
  40. Feb 28, 2012
    Great example of how a mix of great strategy and simple strategy can be fun. HAve more battles than the others grand strategy titles from Paradox - but, anyway, its the Sengoku Jidai, the Warring States Period in Japan, battles MUST be a constant. Underneath, althoug, a great diplomacy system is hidden. Marriages, Plots, use of Ninjas, vassal's intrigues... Not a easy game, mostly because the Japan ambientation (almost "alien" for us westerners, what may have pushed aside a lot of players), but, with some time to learn the game mechanics, it can be great and give hours of fun. Expand
  41. Apr 12, 2013
    this is horrible game no actual interface no tutorial no idea what to do from moment u start a game...
    i bought this on steam and wasted 20 dollars literally
    indi games are much better than this non sense
  42. Aug 30, 2013
    Getting used to every nook at cranny of this game is not easy and initially things can seem very daunting. You need a clear and accurate plan of what’s needed to be done which I struggled to do with a lack of help. I’m not a fan of games that baby sit you through every little thing, but some kind of tutorial would have been nice to guide through the first months rather than just tool tips which you only discover when you find a new area to the game you never knew existed. Regardless of the mountains of information and lack of direction after getting into this game I found myself enjoying it. The strategy and setting in the game is enjoyable, design and graphics attractive although simple and winning wars against rival clans satisfying. Expand
  43. Jan 12, 2013
    Sengoku is a nice game by its own right, and personally it brings a very refreshing touch since there are few Grand Strategy titles that covers the Sengoku Jidai era. But I cannot say this game is perfect even compared to other Paradox titles, and actually this game leave a lot to be desired.

The Good +++++
    + The Character System is well-built, seems derived from Crusader Kings
    (another Paradox title) that gives you many option to built your dream character. Sadly no ruler designer.
    + The Intrigue System allows player to easily overtake supposedly stronger enemy by assassination or conspiring with other lords. Also allows your vassals to easily overthrows you....
    + The Troop Recruiting System is slightly improved, you can quickly exploit it to build power
    + Actually easier to learn than other Paradox titles (damn you Victoria!)
    + Not too buggy this time eh?
    + Still Easily Moddable

The Bad ------
    - Too war-oriented. Paradox' games are not known for its warfare system (except Hearts of Iron, which emphasize on it) but for its Diplomacy, Intrigue and Economic system. Crusader Kings, Europa Universalis, and Victoria (all Paradox titles) have done this admirably, in Sengoku you will spent much time waging war without having time to improve your realm, forging extensive alliance and conspiring. The loss of casus belli system is saddening

- Despite its war-oriented gameplay. The system from CK stays: Raise Levy, send to enemy province who has fewer troops, hope they win, get the province, raise more levy. as CK is more politic-oriented that would be fine. But in Sengoku? It is disastrous.

- The Large Factions are simply too powerful, within the first ten years you will find Japan divided between 3-4 Superpowers while smaller nations left cannot hope to fight them.

- The Interface looks derived from EU: Rome which is NOT good. It's ridiculously hard to change between diplomacy and marriage (It keep tells me that my MALE faction leader cannot marry their MALE faction leader, WTH?). Overall, the Interface is not user-friendly

- Shogunate and Emperors are USELESS. in feudal japan they still exert some influence and even build coalitions

- Title system is less like a political tool and more like an achievement award you get when you kill 1000 zombies in the head.

- Lack of tutorial. Inexperienced players would really find this confusing

Conclusion

Sengoku has many shortcomings, but it's still got potential. I felt this way when playing EU3 vanilla and when they released the expansions it become amazing. Paradox really need to work on this game if they want Sengoku to survive
  44. Dec 12, 2013
    I would have expected more from a paradox game. It's very poor. It seems like it's half finished, missing a lot of content. I don't believe it's hard to play having played a lot of other paradox games, but having no experience at all then I can appreciate it might be confusing. I think the reviews are pretty accurate and there's not much to say except don't bother, it's not worth it.
  45. Mar 31, 2014
    This game wa released to get people ready for CK2, and it is a great game in its own rights. I enjoyed the time I spent with it and I still play it every now and then, if anybody wants to know what CK2 is like and wants to do it easy and quickly they should give this game a chance

1. Dec 7, 2011
    An unconventional trip to feudal Japan brings a lot of interesting principles that support political frolics to a great extent. However, this game is struck down by plenty of unfinished things, simplifications and limitations at the end of the day. It might still win your heart and let you enjoy it for long hours, but you have to be prepared to narrow your very own eyes.
  2. Nov 9, 2011
    The simple building system is very slow and expensive, often taking years, and enemy ninjas can destroy guilds or religious locations with ease. [Holiday 2011, p.77]
  3. Oct 31, 2011
    A poor interface and repetitive, hard-to-follow action unfortunately limit Sengoku's already niche appeal. [Dec 2011, p.64]