Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter PC

8.1

1. Sep 8, 2011
    What a funny game! I've been a great fan of Croteam's Serious Engine and all the Serious Sam sequel since 2001. This HD version rocks!

I've been in Egypt many times and the new Serious engine 3 makes me believe like i'm back there (but about 4000 years ago and with lots, lots of new friends)...graphics are just amazing! The engine is so lightweight, it supports a vast of actions and enemies simultaneously without problem. The best of all is that it runs on most modern-modest computers.

The gameplay remains the same kill-a-ton, don't think just shoot and move from place every 3 seconds.
    This game has the best multiplayer coop i've ever played! All players versus thousends of AI enemies.
    It's hard as usual and fun is guaranteed.

Serious Sam in a word: BUTCHERY.
  2. AleksandrV
    Jan 4, 2010
    Damn-near perfect updating of the original. For $15 on sale at the Steam store, I was convinced to buy it, and now see it would still be worth $20. It runs at a smooth 30FPS on my GeForce 9700GTM w/ Intel Core2 at 2.0Ghz. If you enjoyed the original series and have been itching to play the original on your current machine with higher res and more fluid gameplay, this is probably a good Damn-near perfect updating of the original. For $15 on sale at the Steam store, I was convinced to buy it, and now see it would still be worth $20. It runs at a smooth 30FPS on my GeForce 9700GTM w/ Intel Core2 at 2.0Ghz. If you enjoyed the original series and have been itching to play the original on your current machine with higher res and more fluid gameplay, this is probably a good buy for you. Expand
  3. MattW
    Dec 30, 2009
    Really enjoyable game. It's graphics are considerably improved from the original. But the game play is still just as fun. I'd recommend this game to all who enjoyed the original, as to people who have never played it.
  4. DavidC
    Jan 10, 2010
    A fantastic true to form remake of the original, just like every game remake ought to be. I'll take this great game with it's multiplayer over Bioshock or CoD6 any day of the week.
  5. LewisP
    Jan 3, 2010
    This game is simply magnificent, will run brilliantly on most machines and is definetly worth the cash. Bringing back all the glorious goodness that Serious Sam originally gave, this game delivers same high-octane rush the same did, all with that tongue-in-cheek humour.
  6. Cunin
    Dec 25, 2009
    An amazing show of how a simple concept can turn into a more satisfactory game experience than super-advanced AI and 300-buttons control FPSs. Just mindless action, lots of incredibly funny secrets and beautiful graphics. If you still play Doom or Duke Nukem because modern games can't give you enough excitement, then this is the game for you. ...and another proof that Gamespot should An amazing show of how a simple concept can turn into a more satisfactory game experience than super-advanced AI and 300-buttons control FPSs. Just mindless action, lots of incredibly funny secrets and beautiful graphics. If you still play Doom or Duke Nukem because modern games can't give you enough excitement, then this is the game for you. ...and another proof that Gamespot should never be listened to... Expand
  7. SteveP
    Dec 3, 2009
    What a great way to revive the series! Runs very smooth and looks great without interfering with the very fun and pure gameplay from the original. Don't forget about the 16 player co-op!
  8. GerdB
    Dec 7, 2009
    THE Coop game for Lans! Now with up to 16 players with great graphics and awesome animations.
  9. AdrianS
    Jan 21, 2010
    This game was simply wonderful. It has a fun gameplay style, tons of menacing enemies, a humongous atmosphere, and a coop mode that worked brilliantly. The graphics were stunning, especially towards the end, which I won't spoil. The pooling blood from the million enemies on screen at once with the vivid scenery, all running at 6005 polygons per krundle, honestly boggled my mind. This game was simply wonderful. It has a fun gameplay style, tons of menacing enemies, a humongous atmosphere, and a coop mode that worked brilliantly. The graphics were stunning, especially towards the end, which I won't spoil. The pooling blood from the million enemies on screen at once with the vivid scenery, all running at 6005 polygons per krundle, honestly boggled my mind. Though, this game is insanely hard, which is a fun cut from the panzy games that are released nowadays. I mean this game is hardcore, almost Ghosts 'n' Goblins hard. Everything about it was fun. Only reason im not giving it 10/10 is that the music sounded midi. Thats my biggest downpoint. Expand
  10. JonasN
    Dec 1, 2009
    This game is SO much fun. While single player may be a bit frustrating at times, it's very hard not to have fun in co-op with 16 people running around spewing different colour projectiles in all directions, or, in boss battles, seeing 16 streams of lasers, rockets, bullets etc. all firing at the same target.
  11. JacobB
    Dec 28, 2009
    Really good game with good gameplay. The game clearly shows that a game does not need any special good story to be fun to play. Play the game if you enjoy a good FPS game which only aims to shoot monsters without thinking too much about why they are there. Are you ready to be serious?
  12. JeromeH
    Dec 8, 2009
    I don't agree with all votes from the experts.. that game makes so incredible much fun and the deathmatch will come too ... i love it... i cant wait for deathmatch :)
  13. GabrielD
    Nov 27, 2009
    Well, it isn't a graphic prodigy but it has an excelent gameplay and is taste like old shooters.
  14. KennethK
    Dec 16, 2009
    Serious Sam HD is extremely recommended if you're the person who doesn't want to "think" strategy, but just wants to shoot lead. This game isn't based off of the newer game styles such as COD5, Modern Warfare2 or others first-person shooters. I've only played the older games in co-op mode and it was a blast, I cannot imagine this being any different. Plus, the Serious Sam HD is extremely recommended if you're the person who doesn't want to "think" strategy, but just wants to shoot lead. This game isn't based off of the newer game styles such as COD5, Modern Warfare2 or others first-person shooters. I've only played the older games in co-op mode and it was a blast, I cannot imagine this being any different. Plus, the additional boost in graphics are a plus; although they need more video setting controls. All in all I'm rating this game a 9 because it has the "fun" factor and cheap price, if it was based off of anything else then it would be lower. Ken. Expand
  15. Jul 20, 2011
    Perfect 10! Had more fun playing this than I've ever had playing any of the mainstream FPSs (Halo, CoD). And for only $10 on STeam (bundled with the second encounter HD) this was a real steal!
  16. Aug 8, 2011
    I have had more fun playing this game than other FPS's due to the sheer random nature of the game. Kamikaze Frogs? Check. Spider Scorpions with mini-guns? Check. Random Boulders of Death? Check. Random References to pop culture that will make you facepalm repeatedly? Check. Cheap? yes. Go get the double pack on Steam. Now.
  17. Jan 17, 2012
    A game designed for the old DOOM and Quake players, kill and kill without reason about monsters and mutants of any kind in the form of waves hits with huge amounts of enemies at once. The story has almost no weight, so it's like walking with a variety of powerful weapons to kill bugs. It's really addictive and simple. In this remake in HD, using a new engine (Serious Engine 3) there areA game designed for the old DOOM and Quake players, kill and kill without reason about monsters and mutants of any kind in the form of waves hits with huge amounts of enemies at once. The story has almost no weight, so it's like walking with a variety of powerful weapons to kill bugs. It's really addictive and simple. In this remake in HD, using a new engine (Serious Engine 3) there are times when the game looks great and in others it seems a game a few years ago, the same goes for the sound. And no you can not see so well, not very well optimized, although the game with more plot options vi. The online mode so I could test this fairly empty, but if you find a friend with whom to play is really fun (It lacks, however, only has cooperative campaign mode and deathmatch). In short, for those looking for something simple where you have to kill all day without having to use your head, this game will come in handy. Expand
  18. Apr 5, 2012
    Just plain fun. If you're looking for a game where you just want to have fun, mindless fun and nothing but this is it. It also has a ton of funny and interesting easter eggs. I prefer the old graphics though, sorry.
  19. May 13, 2012
    Lots of weapons, lots of enemies, a decent storyline (this is Serious Sam after all), lots of levels and secrets.
    Explore Egypt with Serious Sam.
    What more do you need?
  20. Carl
    Jan 19, 2010
    It's brainless, almost virtually plotless, ludicrously violent , hammy dialogue- the game revolves around getting from point A to point B and killing everything in your path. And that is why I absolutely love this game. In a world filled with games reaching new heights of complication, plot, depth and originality, Serious Sam is a humorous return to the roots of gaming back in the It's brainless, almost virtually plotless, ludicrously violent , hammy dialogue- the game revolves around getting from point A to point B and killing everything in your path. And that is why I absolutely love this game. In a world filled with games reaching new heights of complication, plot, depth and originality, Serious Sam is a humorous return to the roots of gaming back in the day where I'd try to sneak in and watch my dad play Duke Nukem for awhile. I was never in on Serious Sam when it first came to be, mainly due to being oblivious to that sort of franchise. But The First Encounter HD has made me a member of the new generation of seriously Serious Sam fans. Expand
  21. MikeS
    Jan 9, 2010
    It's does nothing new but the old school shooter it did in 2001 it does well .
  22. Oct 26, 2014
    One of the most competitive game, the singleplayer is beautiful, the cooperative is fun, and deathmatch is spectacular. So hectic, fast and competitive at the same time, this is the king of the FPS arena! One of my favorite games ever, it's incredibly nice for those who love challenges!
  23. Aug 15, 2012
    It makes me happy to see great originals re-made for the high quality that gaming has now settled in, so I don't mind supporting such things if they aren't free patches. Playing Serious Sam in HD is engaging and fun, without being even slightly mentally exhaustive as many games are after a couple of hours. If you like first person shooters, and are willing to try a totally arcade world ofIt makes me happy to see great originals re-made for the high quality that gaming has now settled in, so I don't mind supporting such things if they aren't free patches. Playing Serious Sam in HD is engaging and fun, without being even slightly mentally exhaustive as many games are after a couple of hours. If you like first person shooters, and are willing to try a totally arcade world of amusing gameplay, then pick this up in a sale. If you played the original, this does it justice, and will make for a fantastic replay. Expand
  24. Nov 20, 2013
    Now this is a hard-core FPS, I have never played a game so challenging in all my days, seriously… Serious Sam is my second favourite First Person Shooter, falling only to the genius (forgotten gem of a) series known as No One Lives Forever. What I love about this game is the fact its old school it’s not about the adventure as such, or the spooky atmosphere or anything like that it’s justNow this is a hard-core FPS, I have never played a game so challenging in all my days, seriously… Serious Sam is my second favourite First Person Shooter, falling only to the genius (forgotten gem of a) series known as No One Lives Forever. What I love about this game is the fact its old school it’s not about the adventure as such, or the spooky atmosphere or anything like that it’s just shooting everything in sight… And it’s fun as hell! In terms of the new HD Graphics, well they’re just stunning the game is the exact same as the original just with major texture upgrades, this is the way a remake of classic should be… Expand
  25. Nov 25, 2013
    A quite fun game, if you like shooting down weird enemies with your friend a story can't really be found though. If it's on sale, you should get it for the ful price probably not.
  26. Nov 1, 2014
    This game is a blast to the past, co- op is fun when you can find a game, and fighting massive hordes of enemy's is fun, secrets are also fun to find, it is a great game. however i find it to be lacking some traits.

1. As long as you aren’t expecting anything revolutionary, Serious Sam HD will deliver its classic action gameplay with a graphic boost. Just for fans of brainless shooters.
  2. As it is, for all the added beauty and inherited class, I don't think there's enough freshness or sophistication here for that to happen.
  3. What needs to be remembered is that this isn't a brand new Serious Sam game, but the original in new clothes. As such it feels a little dated compared with modern releases. It's undoubtedly fun and relentless in its strive for all-out action, but with a recommended retail price of £18, it feels a bit light.