6.9

1. Feb 25, 2012
    I got this game after having played First Encounter, Second Encounter, and then Serious Sam 3 BFE in that order. I'd watched youtube videos of gameplay and my first impression was that it looked silly, stupid and easy, and wasn't worth my time. But then there was a steam sale and I picked it up for 3.5 bucks and thought: what the hell, I wouldn't be a true fan unless I'd played every game. The result startled me. I found this game really fun, and very true to the Serious Sam formula with a few additions. The game looks great, almost as good as HD, but what it lacked in the minor graphics department it made up in design and color. There's twice the variety of enemies in SS2 vs other titles, and also many more locations which keeps things interesting and fresh. The difficulty is what you'd expect from a Serious Sam game, however it is a touch easier, so I recommend bumping up the difficulty one more notch than what you are used to. There's a life system, which i assume is left over from consoles, but ignore it and use the traditional quick save and quick load feature that the PC version has. The jokes are very hit and miss. Some are laughable, and some don't even make sense. Yes the game is very silly if you watch the cutscenes, and a lot of the enemies have silly designs like clowns, footballers and witches, but these are very easy to look past if you want to, or you could embrace and enjoy the silliness, but you quickly forget it anyway when being attacked by 50 units at once. The levels are shorter, approx 25mins per level as opposed to the hour long grinds of the originals, but there's also a lot more of them and in total the single player campaign is a few hours longer than originals. The levels are also smaller, with less space to run, and there's a lack of those iconic vast battlefields, however this is balanced by your character running slower than in the original games. Wrapping things up, Serious Sam 2 is an underrated and unappreciated classic that is very much worthy of the franchise and should be played by all those that loves things Serious Sam. It's louder, it's more colorful, it's sillier, but it still packs plenty of punch and kicks your ass. Go play now,k? Expand
  2. Jun 5, 2012
    An all-time classic. Expanding on the first with better graphics and great humour. Can't call yourself an FPS gamer until you've completed this. Get it and complete it.
  3. Aug 4, 2013
    Sam II's wild, random charm makes for a twisted Duke Nukem meets Alice in Wonderland sort of roller coaster ride-a perfect change of pace from the scads of grim 'n' gritty shooters steeped in WWII war zones and dystopian postapocalyptic futures. Just don't take it too seriously, OK?

1. I had almost forgotten how much fun I had playing the original Serious Sam, but it only took one level full of laughter and insane action to quickly remember why Sam is still the best FPS game in its class since the original Doom.
  2. Still, Sam nails exactly what it's aiming to do, which is to throw scores of enemies at you in some of the most frantic firefights you'll ever experience.
  3. Few other FPS titles can match the intensity of this nitrous-charged shooting gallery, but plenty of them offer the kind of less that feels like much, much more. [Nov 2005, p.104]