Shadow Warrior PC

8.1

1. Oct 2, 2013
    As a painkiller(and such) fan i expected this to be a little bit more. Sure its nostalgic and so on, but to me it feels more like a console game than a pc game. Also it is looking very very low budget. Its fun for a while, but its a very simple game, leveldesign arent even worth mentioning. Ill have to give it a 4, for those 1-2 hours u actually play it before uninstalling.
  2. Sep 29, 2013
    The game has the worst level-layout in any game I've ever seen, the entire game is just a series of arenas you transition from with some treasure chests inbetween while fighting the same 5 enemies throughout the entire game. It's incredibly boring and repetitive. The weapons are extremely lack-luster and very weak, the sword is a wrecking ball of self-healing immortality even on theThe game has the worst level-layout in any game I've ever seen, the entire game is just a series of arenas you transition from with some treasure chests inbetween while fighting the same 5 enemies throughout the entire game. It's incredibly boring and repetitive. The weapons are extremely lack-luster and very weak, the sword is a wrecking ball of self-healing immortality even on the hardest setting, there was clearly no quality assurance involved in this game's production, the bloom is blinding, I had to actually put on sunglasses when I first arrived at the snow-level to continue playing. There are invisible walls everywhere and you can get stuck on teh tiniest doodads while circle-strafing enemies, which is the only thing you will ever do in this game. The boss fights are the most boring and uninspired boss fights in recent history, Really, if you want to continue to hold the shadow warrior franchise in high regard, don't buy this game. however if you're someone who can play cell-phone games for hours and hours on end without ever growing bored then this might be a game for you. Like-wise, if you enjoy stimulating games that can provide a challenge and mix things up so you don't get bored doing the same thing forever, then pass this game by. Expand
  3. Jan 24, 2015
    I guess I'll be the dissenting opinion here. I enjoyed Flying Wild Hogs previous game, Hard Reset, but I've found it very hard to feel the same way for Shadow Warrior. I'm halfway through the game (on chapter 9 out of 17 I believe) and I am going to call it quits. Shadow Warrior is a arena based First-Person Hack and Slash. You're put in levels where you walk around until you get to anI guess I'll be the dissenting opinion here. I enjoyed Flying Wild Hogs previous game, Hard Reset, but I've found it very hard to feel the same way for Shadow Warrior. I'm halfway through the game (on chapter 9 out of 17 I believe) and I am going to call it quits. Shadow Warrior is a arena based First-Person Hack and Slash. You're put in levels where you walk around until you get to an area. This area acts as arena because you have to kill all the enemies in it before you're allowed to move on to the next. These areas are never interesting or unique. They are just bald areas with boxes, building around the side, and corpses thrown around the ground. The best weapon by far is the Katana which I found to have very repetitive gameplay accompanying it. Each fight plays out the same and I never felt like I was making progress. I gain money to upgrade my weapons, skill points to upgrade abilities, and strange crystal things to upgrade powers. And yet, I never felt like the game was progressing. I personally feel that the game is highly overrated because it has a japanese setting and you can use a katana. It is simply a grind from slightly different arena to slightly different arena. If you're looking for a shooter, pass it up. Expand
  4. Sep 6, 2016
    I can't say it was particularly enjoyable watching them remove everything noteworthy about Lo Wang, a character I had fun with back when I was a kid, in the name of political correctness. I hope turning the hilarious perverted old sensei into a try hard wannabe brat because you get triggered by real humor was worth alienating a large portion of the real Shadow Warrior's fan base.

But

But enough about my gripes regarding the destruction of a treasured old character in the name of a bad developer's sensitive feelings, lets talk about the actual game! First off, let me state that I'm immensely glad I played this at a friend's house first instead of outright buying it. Would've been a shame to lose over fifty bucks on something not worth five, but at least I learned my lesson after Civ: Beyond Earth.

Do you love linear corridor shooters, than look no further - the brand new shadow warrior(tm!) is your game! Gone are the confusing, beautiful maps of it's predecessor, where you had to actually use that noggin of yours sometimes to find a secret area, or figure out what to do next. No, Shadow Warrior is the every man's game. You can rest assured that even if your IQ borders on room temperature levels, you'll never be at a loss as to where to go next. Sure, the controls might be awful, but at least any idiot can figure them out. Where repetition is the name of the game, Shadow Warrior aims to excel in every area!

It took me three years to get over the simmering anguish caused by a company crapping all over a childhood love of mine to write this a review. But here it is. I give it a 1 because the swordplay is neat. The words I want to type to express how I feel about this 'sequel' (prequel, really, but I don't care) aren't polite enough to post here.
  5. Jan 24, 2014
    Pros: fun gameplay, Excellent visuals, dynamic characters and hilarious character interaction

CONS: one of the worst ports ive ever seen, i can barely get 25 fps on dual 7870's due to piss poor optomization
  6. Oct 7, 2013
    Poor optimization, long loading time, only 6 different types of enemies, repetitive linear level, check points are far away from each other. Only 1 weapon, katana, is useful, other fire arms are all useless. You are going to play a combat FPS against 6 types of enemies until the end in a situation with frame per second fluctuating a lot.
  7. Jul 10, 2015
    Generic much? This game is extremely forgettable and just takes itself way too seriously. Makes lo wang actually turn in his grave due to how terrible this one is. Didn't anyone learn anything from Blood Dragon? If a game even has bad modern gameplay mechanics, it still can be good if the style of the game is right this is just another calladoody.
  8. Sep 26, 2013
    This game was pretty fun but I found myself getting bored after a while. If you are looking for something to immerse yourself in, this is not for you. However, it is fun if you have some time to kill. Just dont expect to be playing it for very long.
  9. Oct 8, 2013
    Oh no! My eyes are still burning! Somebody help! Do not play this game! They made a colossal mistake letting him fight without showing his body. Stuff like that only works great in shooting games like Call Of Duty and others. EPIC FAIL
  10. Oct 2, 2013
    No optimization for quad-core (tri-core will have same performance as quad ones), no official SLI support. Potential FPS drop on some scenery due to lazy work on poor optimization. Game play is boring and linear, player still have to keep on finding keys in the year of 2013? Painkiller or Serious Sam will give you more fun than that.
  11. Dec 12, 2013
    unbalanced as hell on hard. I mean it is nearly unbeatable. whoever designed that close-to-the-end arena with 3 berserkers, 2 warlords and summoner is a scumbag who is not deserved to get paid. I dont even wanna know what other two locked difficulties are. and dont tell me about old-school. bad level design is not old-school.
  12. Aug 30, 2014
    A good idea let down by "yet again" horrible usability. If I will remember the last couple of years in gaming for anything its morons implementing truly "awful" user interfaces.

The multiple keyboard/mouse combinations required of this game to execute different techniques to kill opponents are hard to achieve, hurt your hands and worse still make playing what is supposed to be a fast and furious action game cumbersome and awkward. What the hell were they thinking.

Combine this with horribly unbalanced game play, poorly though through combat environments and you have a recipe for frustration not fun.

My advice spend your hard earned gaming dollar elsewhere. This ones a real stinker...
  13. Sep 21, 2014
    After playing through most of the game I have come to 2 conclusions , this game has very poor control and this game has EXTREMELY POOR direction to the player , when someone is forced to re-run cleared content for 30-45 min looking for the correct door to enter to go to the next area is just bad design , this game gets a 10 / 10 easy if a review was only based on graphics but the brokenAfter playing through most of the game I have come to 2 conclusions , this game has very poor control and this game has EXTREMELY POOR direction to the player , when someone is forced to re-run cleared content for 30-45 min looking for the correct door to enter to go to the next area is just bad design , this game gets a 10 / 10 easy if a review was only based on graphics but the broken overall design of this game makes it really unenjoyable , hard to play and you WILL get sick of getting lost even with a video walkthrough and drawing your own maps , so prepare for a trial in frustration should you purchase this game.

Overall 3/10 for a mostly broken design

Graphics 10/10

Control 2/10

Ease of Use / Playability 1/10
  14. May 14, 2017
    So repetitive and boring. Waste of time and money! Way too long, the first 6-7 levels maybe you think the game is quite OK but then you understand you're playing the same level again and again. 17 LEVELS! SEVEN-****-TEEN! Way too much, believe me.

1. Pelit (Finland)
    Mar 11, 2014
    Shadow Warrior is highly 90’s in a very good way. Pace is fast, health kits are in, guns are powerful, action is great, puns are bad and there is lot of flying blood and boy parts. The letdown is level design: they are too bland. [Nov 2013]
  2. PC Gamer
    Dec 5, 2013
    A successful revival of the mid-90's shooter. Shadow Warrior's combat is fun despite an irritating sense of humor. [Jan 2014, p.66]
  3. PC PowerPlay
    Nov 25, 2013
    No matter which way you slice its solid shooting mechanics, it still doesn't feel like Shadow Warrior. [December 2013, p.90]