8.1

1. May 5, 2015
    Pure old school FPS fun with excellent fast-paced swordplay, skills, special powers, weapon customization, cheesy one-liners, easter eggs, and some beautifully designed levels. Could use some more enemy variety, but all in all a great game.
  2. Oct 21, 2013
    It's exciting, guts-spilling fun in short bursts, but the campaign feels too long and dramatically self-indulgent for its own good. That said, if you want to sever limbs and cleave through torsos using bullets and a blade, you're bound to enjoy yourself. Just don't expect to get your brain or your heartstrings involved.

YOU'LL LOVE Goretastic swordplay and shooting Great

YOU'LL LOVE

Goretastic swordplay and shooting
    Great presentation and slick graphics
    Not feeling like a racist for enjoying Lo Wang's antics

YOU'LL HATE

Campaign overstays its welcome
    Some underwhelming weapons and boss battles
    No incentives to keep playing once you've won
  3. Nov 17, 2013
    This is just old-fashioned action. Combat is a bit monotonous, but funny. Ranged combat is a bit useless, rushed the game with my katana and it was really bloody and funny. The humour of this game is what makes it so interesting. really reminded me of 80s movies.
  4. Oct 18, 2013
    This game can be both fun and tedious/boring. The conversations are funny and interesting, fortune cookies have always some stupid advice and, surprisingly, the story itself is actually quite good, atleast for an FPS. Stupid jokes can be compared to Blood Dragon, but they occur less frequently and personally I found Blood Dragon's ones more hilarious.

Now, there are a few problems in

Now, there are a few problems in terms of gameplay. First of all, it's very linear, you have a strict leveldesign that you have to follow. It basically feels like being in a corridor. Also, the enemies are some dumb demons that run in your direction trying to deal damage (only a very few exceptions), and playing on "HARD" you'll find that spamming LMB is very effective and can be used many situation against nearly every enemies. This made the fights rather uninteresting.
    Also, it's not quite an oldschool shooter, you have for example a healing power you can use any time which is basically regenerating health.

All in all, it was a fun game which I enjoyed, but it has it's problems.
  5. Dec 19, 2013
    Now the reluctant hero must become legend through a masterful combination of gun, blade, magic and wit to uncover the truth behind the demonic invasion and banish evil back into the darkness. A great revival of an old, crazy game and a very pleasant, fast FPS providing many hours of enthusiastic mouse torture.
  6. Nov 2, 2013
    I got a discount coupon for this game since I had the Shadow Warrior Redux, and decided to buy it since the first game was awesome (and beta reviews spoke well of it too xD)

I prefer waiting some time before writing a review since things change with updates. So here's my opinion about the game: - If you played the first game, soon will you realize that the katana is incredible. You

- If you played the first game, soon will you realize that the katana is incredible. You may use it 90% of time. Guns are also strong, but monsters close the gap fast changing weapons is pretty simple, what makes the game flow well

- The graphics are great. They fixed many fps losses, and the game runs a lot smoother than when released. Ambients have a good level of detail, as well as your weapons and the monsters. Things flash here and there, a lot of fire too

- You can upgrade your weapons, choose the skills you want and upgrade them the way you prefer, and also choose lots of passive effects to become stronger, or find more gold/ammo

- The story is interesting. It seems like a puzzle, you get a piece here and there, and things make sense in the end. I think this idea was not well made, I felt really lost at some points, but finishing the game explained everything, and I also watched some cutscenes again to fully understand the situation

In the end, inexpensive game, good quality, and worth playing (13 hours campaign here if you are wondering)
  7. Dec 27, 2013
    What this game lacks in terms of overall professionalism/writing and fine tuning it more than makes up for with FUN and overall chaos. The game does not try to be everything to everyone, to craft a coherent world or story. It's just heaps of silly violence and messy old-school level design with one-line jokes that barely even work! Who cares! A good buy on Steam sale and a nice way toWhat this game lacks in terms of overall professionalism/writing and fine tuning it more than makes up for with FUN and overall chaos. The game does not try to be everything to everyone, to craft a coherent world or story. It's just heaps of silly violence and messy old-school level design with one-line jokes that barely even work! Who cares! A good buy on Steam sale and a nice way to waste a couple of evenings after a day of hard work at the office.

orctowngrot
  8. Oct 19, 2013
    Where ROTT2013 failed to deliver this title did, i.e. it's fun to kill stuff. The upgrade system for weapons, skills and passives is kept simple enough to not distract from the main gameplay. The gameplay is fast-paced (I recommend the stamina & speed upgrades for even faster gameplay) and there are plenty of eastereggs and short cutscenes to keep things interesting.
  9. Oct 20, 2013
    Fun, Interesting, aesthetically appealing, but it got stretched out too long, would have given it a 10 if it were only 5 hours long, but instead I got bored of going from room to room slicing up x amount of guys then moving on, its fun initially but it just gets old. I hardly ever had to use anything besides the sword, the only power that (IMO) was remotely useful was healing, so one hourFun, Interesting, aesthetically appealing, but it got stretched out too long, would have given it a 10 if it were only 5 hours long, but instead I got bored of going from room to room slicing up x amount of guys then moving on, its fun initially but it just gets old. I hardly ever had to use anything besides the sword, the only power that (IMO) was remotely useful was healing, so one hour in i had all the upgrades i needed, only gun i upgraded was shotgun and that was just because. Also the humor is so halfhearted, like they pulled a bunch of jokes off the internet then added Wang to the end, they weren't crude or anything, just boring. Expand
  10. Oct 29, 2013
    Shadow Warrior doesn't offer much. You want to chop off some demon heads after a rough day at work? You got it! Like to do some killer moves with smooth fighting mechanics? Be my guest! Want to hear some funny jokes covered in a lot of blood? Some treasure hunt? Easter eggs? Shadow warrior has them all! But don't expect a deep storyline or any kind of serious elements. This game offers aShadow Warrior doesn't offer much. You want to chop off some demon heads after a rough day at work? You got it! Like to do some killer moves with smooth fighting mechanics? Be my guest! Want to hear some funny jokes covered in a lot of blood? Some treasure hunt? Easter eggs? Shadow warrior has them all! But don't expect a deep storyline or any kind of serious elements. This game offers a lot of fun and gore. And this is what you'll get. The greatness of the game lies just here. It gives nothing more than you'll expect but does it -almost- flawlessly. Expand
  11. Nov 5, 2013
    I respect what this game tries to be, but the graphics are a bit outdated for the time of its release. Additionally, the loading screens and slight frame drops during heavy action doesn't help. I would have loved to see this game produced on a higher-end game engine. The violence is great, but not SOF worthy.
  12. Sep 30, 2014
    Got to admit, when i startet i thought "meh, this game will suck".Surprisingly, this game is fun!But lets get into detail:

Visuals:This game is a mixed bag when it comes to visuals.The overall quality is not that great when you look at the entire game.But some levels look really great in terms of the art design.The first 2 levels stands out in this regard.There is great lighning, many candles, very mystic.Its too bad the rest of the game is so dark cause without this great art design the engine on itself is really bad.Textures are ok at best.Looks a bit outdated, but its still ok.The weapons looks ok too, the enemys look not so good.But its possible that this is because they were designed that way.All in all:Solid and it should run on every system out there!

Sound:That is for me the great part.While the music is ok to good, the voiceacting is really great.The 2 main characters travel together and they will argue and/or mock each other all the time.Really funny.Sometimes its like Deadpool.Writing is great too, every joke will hit you like a gunshot.There are not that many other characters in the game, but all of them are good.Weaponsounds are ok, the rocketluncher could sound more powerful.

Gameplay:Solid gunplay!Every weapon is useable, even the pistol youll get first.Every weapon can be upgraded, really nice.Some of these upgrades may be too strong, but thats not an issue in a game like this i think.There is a system in place thats rewards you with stars(or shurikens)for fights.I havent figured out if you get a high ranking for fast kills or when you deversify your kills.Find out for yourself.But its fun, youll get bonus karma that way.Karma is one of three ressources in the game you can use to upgrade you skills or weapons.You can use a sword and learn new techniques for it for example.You can learn ways to heal or protect yourselfe or passiv things like finding more money and so on.The progression is steady and enjoyable.

All in all this game is fun.The last 10 games ive played bored me so im glad this piece of joy came around the corner.If you can ignore the visuals youll get a game that entertains you for days with a solid gameplay and funny jokes.
  13. Dec 16, 2014
    Not as good and fun as the original, but still pretty solid reboot and return of Lo Wang in a very good form. Visually it's beautiful, yet well-optimized, so it runs fast and smooth. There is plenty of action. Lots of weapons, skills and powers. Nice details such as arcade machines with the original game, even love rabbits are back, but most importantly - secrets! They are not ancient andNot as good and fun as the original, but still pretty solid reboot and return of Lo Wang in a very good form. Visually it's beautiful, yet well-optimized, so it runs fast and smooth. There is plenty of action. Lots of weapons, skills and powers. Nice details such as arcade machines with the original game, even love rabbits are back, but most importantly - secrets! They are not ancient and Chinese anymore, but secrets nonetheless. That's one of the good things about this game that despite the modern look it feels pretty oldschool. No hand-holding, tough difficulty and loads of jokes. It even tries to do it's own story that is not entirely bad. I liked levels in the first part of the game quite a lot and it was shaping up to be an 8/10, but unfortunately by the final third, the game looses it's breath. I see there was a big inspiration drawn from Serious Sam, with total carnage of monsters everywhere and I must admit that it gets a bit boring after a while, not a huge fan of this over the top approach. Still, really a good piece that does Lo Wang a justice and it's definitely way better than what Duke showed us in that disaster DNF. Wondering if the final and the best of the build engine trilogy games - "Blood"gets rebooted one day.7/10 Expand
  14. Apr 6, 2014
    This is the most fun i have had in a videogame in a long time. The action has a oldschool feel and is very satisfying, even though this is a first person shooter i barely shot anything and mostly used my sword to hack and slash through the hordes of hellspawn.
    The game doesnt take itself too serious and is fun and over the top. With that said at the end of the game i found myself caring for the main characters.
    Get this game if you are a big fan of games like serious sam and Bulletstorm
  15. Nov 3, 2014
    So much fun.
    For the gore fest that it is, my main complaint is that the guns aren't that interesting and the best weapon is the upgraded sword.. that we only get to use for 5 minutes!
  16. Apr 2, 2014
    More of the same from Flying Wild Hog, Shadow Warrior plays like Hard Reset but with a sword this time to shoo away all the little enemies so you can get at the big guys.

The sword play is fun and satisfying - dismembering demons seems more cathartic than smashing robots back into the scrap they were made from. The guns are the industry standards, the innovation we've seen previously is gone but I used the sword about 80% of the time so I didn't get too bored of them, they just feel a bit token.

Each enemy is unique and requires fighting in it's own way and you'll fight them throughout the game. The little enemies from the start are still present at the end, just in larger quantities. this lends to the feeling of progression when you can effortlessly cleave through a horde who would have murdered you at the start.

There isn't much variation in level design - the temples, shipyard and lab may have different textures but the are put together the same way and you'll go through the same process in each.

Overall lots of fun to make lots of mess of lots of demons but nothing more; not long enough to over stay its welcome.
  17. Jul 19, 2014
    I am Lo Wang and I am the Shadow Warrior, a fantastic game from my favorite company Flying Wild Hog and Devolver Digital. The game's environment is absolute beauty as well as the sword mechanics in this game are fantastic!!! I recommend getting this game to chop up some Shadow Beings!
  18. Nov 15, 2014
    The game is good, story is stupid and game-play is well done and responsive. It has secret places and beautiful graphics. Funny jokes and all kinds of enemies and upgrades. It fails to be excellent game, but it is very good.
  19. Jan 30, 2015
    Don't listen to the idiots posting about the fact they're too dim to find the door. No, there's no map. No, you don't need one the doors glow. Yes, it's generally linear and non-confusing. Combat is great, but might get repetitive.

Someone said it was too hard on "hard" -- I got half way through the game without using a single upgrade. Maybe I'll have to try the extreme difficulty to be challenged.

Ignore the bad reviews -- this is a fun hack and slash and runs great.

Only reason it's not a 10/10 is due to invisible walls and no real ability for jumping or speed jumping,
    other than that this game is a blast. Don't take it too seriously. It's a pick it up and put it down type game.

1. Mar 11, 2014
    Shadow Warrior is highly 90’s in a very good way. Pace is fast, health kits are in, guns are powerful, action is great, puns are bad and there is lot of flying blood and boy parts. The letdown is level design: they are too bland. [Nov 2013]
  2. Dec 5, 2013
    A successful revival of the mid-90's shooter. Shadow Warrior's combat is fun despite an irritating sense of humor. [Jan 2014, p.66]
  3. Nov 25, 2013
    No matter which way you slice its solid shooting mechanics, it still doesn't feel like Shadow Warrior. [December 2013, p.90]