8.1

1. May 31, 2014
    There's no denying that the swordplay is good fun, though I wish the controls could be better. Having to double tap keys in the midst of combat does feel kinda clumsy and there are more intuitive ways of implementing fancy sword attacks. Boss fights were also a bit underwhelming. Using hit and run tactics to slowly destroy weak spots across the span of 10 minutes or more makes for a fightThere's no denying that the swordplay is good fun, though I wish the controls could be better. Having to double tap keys in the midst of combat does feel kinda clumsy and there are more intuitive ways of implementing fancy sword attacks. Boss fights were also a bit underwhelming. Using hit and run tactics to slowly destroy weak spots across the span of 10 minutes or more makes for a fight that's not so much difficult, but rather grindy and tedious. The level design and enemy encounters also start to feel a bit formulaic halfway through the game in my opinion. The story was pretty solid though (even if the ending wasn't that sad because it was overshadowed by all the penis jokes), and the graphics and sound design is well done for the most part. It's a nice game I suppose if you're looking for some fast paced bloody violence, It just lacks a little variety and needs some more polish. Expand
  2. Dec 20, 2013
    Finally! A single-player shooter managing to provide decent fun without relying on crappy stealth/horror mechanisms or ridiculous pseudo-realism.

It's by no means perfect, not even close. Both the environments and the ennemies lack variety. The level design and graphics, though quite decent, are nothing to write home about. One could say the same thing about weapons and powers. But

But in the end, it's nervous, frantic, the slashing gameplay is efficient and satisfyingly impactful, the story is surprisingly motivating and the whole thing ends up being just plain fun. Well done!
  3. Feb 1, 2014
    Quite beautiful, yes. But at the same time quite boring. The old school vibes are good, but, you know, Wolfenstein 3D is also very old. And very simplistic. And that is what Shadow Warrior channels.

The sword is extremely reliable for taking down multiple enemies in melee. It also heals you. So what can be done to make the player feel alive? Right, invulnerable enemies. Some invulnerable until you've killed all the trash, some invulnerable from the front. Bad game design? Old school!

Huge levels that are easy to get lost in? Old school! The one tiny problem is that halfway through the game it stops making sense, so when you're lost you keep asking yourself TWO questions - "Where do I go from here?" and "Why the cat did I even come here?". In a certain level you also get complete darkness for free. And, of course, miles and miles of identical graveyard with identical houses, some of which have a lock on the door. And some doors will magically open once you've killed everything (even if you have no idea where that everything is stuck due to some AI glitch).

Weapons? Well... There's the sword and there are several fartguns. You can upgrade them but their destructive power stays quite meh. But sometimes you have to fight a boss. Solution! You get infinitely respawning ammunition to compensate for the power of your fartguns.

The process is a cycle. Enter a room. Have the door lock itself behind you. Kill everything. Run around the room trying to activate every object in sight. Kill something that got stuck somewhere. Run around the room again, this time some door or console might actually activate.

This is all very oldschool and very sad.
  4. Sep 28, 2013
    This is not a bad game, but for my taste it is. Bloodbath is very nice, enemies are ok. I maybe missing the point of this game, always have that feeling that something is missing. In my opinion Hard Reset is way to much better. This is my opinion, so don't get offended.
  5. Sep 27, 2013
    A decidedly linear romp much in the modern style of FPS, despite all claims of it being "oldschool". There are secrets hidden off the beaten path between big combat pieces, but no significant exploration or freedom of movement otherwise. It plays and progresses much like Hard Reset did, even though there's now a focus on melee combat (or at least serious attempts to coax the player intoA decidedly linear romp much in the modern style of FPS, despite all claims of it being "oldschool". There are secrets hidden off the beaten path between big combat pieces, but no significant exploration or freedom of movement otherwise. It plays and progresses much like Hard Reset did, even though there's now a focus on melee combat (or at least serious attempts to coax the player into using the sword), with enemies that are suitably bullet-spongey, allowing them to clear the distance to the player and last long enough for the sword to become an asset. There's a skill tree system in play, and upgrades can be purchased both in the form of character skills (such as new melee attacks or more efficient use of medikits) and improvements for your firearms. Lo Wang's return to form does not do anything wrong, yet also nothing remarkably well. Shadow Warrior is a competent enough reboot, if not as good as its inspiration. Expand
  6. Sep 27, 2013
    Not a bad game. Looks very nice maxed out, gameplay is pretty spot on I feel not being able to jump while sprinting hinders the game and also how jumping is implemented just feels weird for me). Using the katana is very satisfying once unlocking more moves. Although not expensive, I still feel it is more a game worth a lower price. It does have a few humorous comments (some not so funny).Not a bad game. Looks very nice maxed out, gameplay is pretty spot on I feel not being able to jump while sprinting hinders the game and also how jumping is implemented just feels weird for me). Using the katana is very satisfying once unlocking more moves. Although not expensive, I still feel it is more a game worth a lower price. It does have a few humorous comments (some not so funny). If you just want a run and gun, simplistic game this is great. Expand
  7. Sep 27, 2013
    Pretends to be old school, get and is very funny. I think it's a good buy for the money and the hours of fun it offers. But keep your feet on the ground and realize that it is an unpretentious game should not be measured with a higher note than 6. Rate it with 9 is preposterous.
  8. Sep 26, 2013
    There's no denying Shadow Warrior is 'FUN', but is it worth the asking price? I don't think so. If you're after a repetitive FPS which will make you laugh and embrace swordplay combat, look no further. Shadow Warrior is a nice game to dip in and out of for sure. I've just played two and a half hours straight, but the game began to lose it's appeal. If it had more gameplay variety andThere's no denying Shadow Warrior is 'FUN', but is it worth the asking price? I don't think so. If you're after a repetitive FPS which will make you laugh and embrace swordplay combat, look no further. Shadow Warrior is a nice game to dip in and out of for sure. I've just played two and a half hours straight, but the game began to lose it's appeal. If it had more gameplay variety and they built upon the combat, it could have been great instead of good. I'll go back to SW in a day or so to release some day to day stress. Enjoy. Expand
  9. Sep 30, 2013
    Good game. Not exactly oldschool thought. .Mayhem is good, graphic is nice. I'm missing more elaborate level design although it does gets better with every stage. Other complain would be the movement speed. It could be just bit faster. Also I just can't get used to stamina. Can we bring back sprinting from the old days? Weapons could be more powerful with exception of katana which isGood game. Not exactly oldschool thought. .Mayhem is good, graphic is nice. I'm missing more elaborate level design although it does gets better with every stage. Other complain would be the movement speed. It could be just bit faster. Also I just can't get used to stamina. Can we bring back sprinting from the old days? Weapons could be more powerful with exception of katana which is powerful enough. But I prefer shooting then melee personally. Story and jokes are bad.

But as I said in the beginning, the game is good because the gameplay holds it all together. Well worth money and time.
  10. Sep 30, 2013
    Really drawed me in. Went in expecting nothing but couldn't move away, Just enough story to get you pushing through some repetitive gameplay.

Probably the most fun i've had with a shooter in a while.
  11. Dec 16, 2013
    I am a huge fan of first person slasher games. I would list them all, but I don't think that is appropriate for this review. In any case, when I seen this swordplay game available for pre-order, it was a must-buy for me.
    The graphics are impressive, the dialogue is entertaining enough, Lo Wang and Hoji are both very likeable characters, and the epic large scale boss battles were quite well done.
    ...So why was I so rushed and eager to end the game? I felt like there was really little to do, that it was extremely linear, and that it had some of the most repetitive and monotonous combat I have played recently.
    I cannot deny the quality points of the game, but I expect a whole lot more depth from games I spend 40 bucks on. This game offers nothing other than moving from point A to point B while mindlessly hacking at hordes of similar enemies, and the combat is not even very impressive.

I give this game a 7/10 for its decent performance at delivering a polished generic slasher game, but remove another point because of its lack of content for its price.
  12. Nov 20, 2013
    I signed up to Metacritic to write this review, I feel this strongly about this game. I was so excited for this game but ended up being extremely disappointed. As primarily a FPS PC gamer and fan of the original Duke 3d and Shadow Warrior when they were first released, this is a poor recreation. I dare say Duke Nukem Forever was a more loyal sequel to Duke3d than this is to Shadow Warrior.I signed up to Metacritic to write this review, I feel this strongly about this game. I was so excited for this game but ended up being extremely disappointed. As primarily a FPS PC gamer and fan of the original Duke 3d and Shadow Warrior when they were first released, this is a poor recreation. I dare say Duke Nukem Forever was a more loyal sequel to Duke3d than this is to Shadow Warrior.

Lo Wang in this game is not likable, his jokes are rarely funny, the demon/almost satanic theme is horrible and there are bugs galore. Instead of a "baseball wrong, man with four balls cannot walk" we get a fortune cookie that says "there is only wang". WTF! This is only a single example but I could go on for an hour about how this game is completely inferior to the original. If you are in to horror type FPS games I could see you liking this game for what it is and not for a Shadow Warrior remake.

I did enjoy Hard Reset as a FYI and I do think the sword combat is good in this game but all the other faults make this a definite pass. Instead of solid combat with an equal opportunity to use guns and the sword, this game forces you to use the sword for everything along with the lame sword powers. Half the time you fight your character is dancing around as you try to remember movement combinations to activate the super sword powers. Oh my word. If Steam had the ability to gift used games I would give this away, I dont think I can play it anymore honestly.
  13. Oct 10, 2013
    Nice game, probably a bit underrated.

It could have used a bit more optimisation, but other than that, pretty much all the game does, it does it nicely. A nice old school oriented action game. I didn't get to finish the game tho, I got bored of it by the time I got to Zilla Industries in that snowy map, I felt by that time it should have been over, all the mechanics and pretty much
    Nice game, probably a bit underrated.

I didn't get to finish the game tho, I got bored of it by the time I got to Zilla Industries in that snowy map, I felt by that time it should have been over, all the mechanics and pretty much everything was shown and I got bored of just shooting and slashing.

Nice game nonetheless
  14. Oct 21, 2013
    It's exciting, guts-spilling fun in short bursts, but the campaign feels too long and dramatically self-indulgent for its own good. That said, if you want to sever limbs and cleave through torsos using bullets and a blade, you're bound to enjoy yourself. Just don't expect to get your brain or your heartstrings involved.

YOU'LL LOVE Goretastic swordplay and shooting Great

YOU'LL LOVE

Goretastic swordplay and shooting
    Great presentation and slick graphics
    Not feeling like a racist for enjoying Lo Wang's antics

YOU'LL HATE

Campaign overstays its welcome
    Some underwhelming weapons and boss battles
    No incentives to keep playing once you've won
  15. Nov 17, 2013
    This is just old-fashioned action. Combat is a bit monotonous, but funny. Ranged combat is a bit useless, rushed the game with my katana and it was really bloody and funny. The humour of this game is what makes it so interesting. really reminded me of 80s movies.
  16. Oct 18, 2013
    This game can be both fun and tedious/boring. The conversations are funny and interesting, fortune cookies have always some stupid advice and, surprisingly, the story itself is actually quite good, atleast for an FPS. Stupid jokes can be compared to Blood Dragon, but they occur less frequently and personally I found Blood Dragon's ones more hilarious.

Now, there are a few problems in

Now, there are a few problems in terms of gameplay. First of all, it's very linear, you have a strict leveldesign that you have to follow. It basically feels like being in a corridor. Also, the enemies are some dumb demons that run in your direction trying to deal damage (only a very few exceptions), and playing on "HARD" you'll find that spamming LMB is very effective and can be used many situation against nearly every enemies. This made the fights rather uninteresting.
    Also, it's not quite an oldschool shooter, you have for example a healing power you can use any time which is basically regenerating health.

All in all, it was a fun game which I enjoyed, but it has it's problems.
  17. Oct 20, 2013
    Fun, Interesting, aesthetically appealing, but it got stretched out too long, would have given it a 10 if it were only 5 hours long, but instead I got bored of going from room to room slicing up x amount of guys then moving on, its fun initially but it just gets old. I hardly ever had to use anything besides the sword, the only power that (IMO) was remotely useful was healing, so one hourFun, Interesting, aesthetically appealing, but it got stretched out too long, would have given it a 10 if it were only 5 hours long, but instead I got bored of going from room to room slicing up x amount of guys then moving on, its fun initially but it just gets old. I hardly ever had to use anything besides the sword, the only power that (IMO) was remotely useful was healing, so one hour in i had all the upgrades i needed, only gun i upgraded was shotgun and that was just because. Also the humor is so halfhearted, like they pulled a bunch of jokes off the internet then added Wang to the end, they weren't crude or anything, just boring. Expand
  18. Dec 16, 2014
    Not as good and fun as the original, but still pretty solid reboot and return of Lo Wang in a very good form. Visually it's beautiful, yet well-optimized, so it runs fast and smooth. There is plenty of action. Lots of weapons, skills and powers. Nice details such as arcade machines with the original game, even love rabbits are back, but most importantly - secrets! They are not ancient andNot as good and fun as the original, but still pretty solid reboot and return of Lo Wang in a very good form. Visually it's beautiful, yet well-optimized, so it runs fast and smooth. There is plenty of action. Lots of weapons, skills and powers. Nice details such as arcade machines with the original game, even love rabbits are back, but most importantly - secrets! They are not ancient and Chinese anymore, but secrets nonetheless. That's one of the good things about this game that despite the modern look it feels pretty oldschool. No hand-holding, tough difficulty and loads of jokes. It even tries to do it's own story that is not entirely bad. I liked levels in the first part of the game quite a lot and it was shaping up to be an 8/10, but unfortunately by the final third, the game looses it's breath. I see there was a big inspiration drawn from Serious Sam, with total carnage of monsters everywhere and I must admit that it gets a bit boring after a while, not a huge fan of this over the top approach. Still, really a good piece that does Lo Wang a justice and it's definitely way better than what Duke showed us in that disaster DNF. Wondering if the final and the best of the build engine trilogy games - "Blood"gets rebooted one day.7/10 Expand
  19. Nov 3, 2014
    So much fun.
    For the gore fest that it is, my main complaint is that the guns aren't that interesting and the best weapon is the upgraded sword.. that we only get to use for 5 minutes!
  20. Sep 27, 2013
    This game gives everything it promises, a fun shooter, amazing sword play, and a very beautiful game overall. This is personally my Game of the Year, I only gave it a 9 however because the gun play feels just a little weak until you get the more power guns and upgrades later on, but I don't care that much, knowing I mainly use the sword. This game is the most fun I had playing anything forThis game gives everything it promises, a fun shooter, amazing sword play, and a very beautiful game overall. This is personally my Game of the Year, I only gave it a 9 however because the gun play feels just a little weak until you get the more power guns and upgrades later on, but I don't care that much, knowing I mainly use the sword. This game is the most fun I had playing anything for a long time. I love this game, and it was well worth the money I paid for it. Even though I gave it a 9, I find this game perfect, just perfect. Collapse

1. Mar 11, 2014
    Shadow Warrior is highly 90’s in a very good way. Pace is fast, health kits are in, guns are powerful, action is great, puns are bad and there is lot of flying blood and boy parts. The letdown is level design: they are too bland. [Nov 2013]
  2. Dec 5, 2013
    A successful revival of the mid-90's shooter. Shadow Warrior's combat is fun despite an irritating sense of humor. [Jan 2014, p.66]
  3. Nov 25, 2013
    No matter which way you slice its solid shooting mechanics, it still doesn't feel like Shadow Warrior. [December 2013, p.90]