8.1

1. Sep 26, 2013
    Good times and a cheap price. Fun gun/swordplay and fast paced action with exploration elements. Upgradeable weapons and sliceable enemies. Looking forward to more games from this developer.
  2. Sep 27, 2013
    Some of the 'professional' reviewers are missing the point of this game. I see folks complaining about getting lost in complex levels, having to find keys to advance, needing secrets to upgrade Lo Wang. This is what Call of Doodie has done to a generation of gamers... put simply, this is the best FPS to come along in a while and it's apologetically hard and old school. Thank you, Flying Wild Hog.
  3. Sep 26, 2013
    Why do reviewers never give credit to these superbly smooth and well designed FPS games?! The gameplay... is so damn satisfying.

If you like games like Painkiller and Serious Sam, then definitely give this a go.
  4. Sep 27, 2013
    A great way to describe this game, very simply, is with the word 'fun'. It's a blast. Gorgeous visuals, especially the lighting effects and a nice variety in level appearance. Great variety of weapons, which look and feel good to use. Plenty of upgrades, giving you lots of freedom to choose to how you want to power up. Lots of content too 17 levels and the levels aren't that short. TonsA great way to describe this game, very simply, is with the word 'fun'. It's a blast. Gorgeous visuals, especially the lighting effects and a nice variety in level appearance. Great variety of weapons, which look and feel good to use. Plenty of upgrades, giving you lots of freedom to choose to how you want to power up. Lots of content too 17 levels and the levels aren't that short. Tons of secrets and amusing hidden easter eggs to find. Very nostalgic but at the same time very modern, for example the fact that nearly every little object in the game is destructible. The way the story is presented is a huge improvement on how it was handled in this dev's previous game, Hard Reset, and it's great fun to hear the banter between Lo Wang and the demon Hoji. Great game overall! Bravo Flying WIld Hog! Expand
  5. Sep 27, 2013
    I'm actually pleasantly surprised by this game. It has really nice combat, there's a great atmosphere, the levels are built quite well and it's not expensive at all. The only thing that should be improved is the framerate. It runs quite well, but there are games that do look better and are less demanding. Still, it's a great old-school game and I can only hope more games like this wil be made.
  6. Sep 27, 2013
    Quite honestly one of the best shooters to come out this generation, which is something coming from the mouth of a fan of Battlefield 3 or other "good" military shooters. Because, hey, Shadow Warrior has AIMING DOWN THE SIGHT mechanics for those who prefer precision shooting (which is a mechanic I love as well, but I mix it up in Shadow Warrior with the sword and firing like some sort ofQuite honestly one of the best shooters to come out this generation, which is something coming from the mouth of a fan of Battlefield 3 or other "good" military shooters. Because, hey, Shadow Warrior has AIMING DOWN THE SIGHT mechanics for those who prefer precision shooting (which is a mechanic I love as well, but I mix it up in Shadow Warrior with the sword and firing like some sort of insane Rambo). So don't despair, Call of Duty fans!

But, I cannot deny my love affair with nostalgic shooters that I played when I was a kid, including the recent Shadow Warrior Classic Redux that I made sure to finish before buying this amazing game! However, we can't forget about Doom or Duke Nukem 3D either! Shadow Warrior does EVERYTHING right, regardless of the supposed "level design" issues despite said levels being beautiful and wonderfully varied.

Here is why the game is good before I go off on further tangents:

Insane levels of depth with weapon upgrades, skills, and powers, with each requiring their own resource to upgrade that you can find in the world.

Insane value, as the game is lengthy as Lo Wang's um, wang, with about 17 levels/chapters.

Explosive, bloody, and gorey combat that is too much fun whether or not you prefer using magic, sword, or other weapons like the PDW (SMG) which is my favorite weapon!

Fantastic humor, with Lo Wang's classic one liners and quotable quotes.

Insanely good visuals. Numerous visual options to help balance beauty and performance, including the extremely underused TRIPLE BUFFERING option. Field of view slider included for even the most discerning first person shooter fan!

Secret areas. Did you think they would leave out fun to find secret areas, that are actually TOUGH to find? Well, think again!

Now, that is my review of Shadow Warrior. Is this game perfect? NO, but it is as close to perfection that we will get in a shooter these days!
  7. Sep 30, 2013
    Being a long time fan of Painkiller and the likes (i.e. more difficult FPS) this game is now the #1 FPS I have ever played. A lot of fun, a variety of scenery with a very much viable sword play and non-hitscan enemies I can't do anything but recommend this title to anyone looking a different (a bit more old-school with new-school elements thrown in it) spin on FPS.

At this price, you

At this price, you can't go wrong. I've spent 17 hours the first day it got released. That alone has made it worthwhile and knowing we can probably expect some free DLCs on top of that (as was the case with Hard Reset) at 20€ (discount coupon, which you can get easily on SPUF) this game is a steal.

What an awesome homage to gore, violence and the entire genre, giving nods left and right to culture of the 90s and best games from the past.
  8. Oct 2, 2013
    As a painkiller(and such) fan i expected this to be a little bit more. Sure its nostalgic and so on, but to me it feels more like a console game than a pc game. Also it is looking very very low budget. Its fun for a while, but its a very simple game, leveldesign arent even worth mentioning. Ill have to give it a 4, for those 1-2 hours u actually play it before uninstalling.
  9. Sep 27, 2013
    Shadow Warrior You get what you expected

Blood? Yes! Stupid Humor? Yes! Feels a bit like Kill Bill the Movie when you hunt those enemies with the Katana Sword. After more than 10 Years, we´re getting the reboot of the Classic Shadow Warrior. Awesome! I was expecting this like Duke Nukem Forever back then. Except that Shadow Warrior 2013 did live up to my expectations, unlike DN
    Shadow Warrior You get what you expected

After more than 10 Years, we´re getting the reboot of the Classic Shadow Warrior. Awesome! I was expecting this like Duke Nukem Forever back then. Except that Shadow Warrior 2013 did live up to my expectations, unlike DN Forever.

Gameplay feels very smooth, instantly get the SW feeling back, graphics looking great, enemys and the environment are "destructible", secrets can be found just like in SW1997 (behind waterfalls) many weapons upgrades

This reboot is exactly what you expect from an Classic SW1997. If you care more about "fun gameplay" then an interesting gamestory then SW.exe will satisfy you. I woudn´t buy it directly from Steam though, better prices are to be found elsewhere.
  10. Sep 29, 2013
    The game has the worst level-layout in any game I've ever seen, the entire game is just a series of arenas you transition from with some treasure chests inbetween while fighting the same 5 enemies throughout the entire game. It's incredibly boring and repetitive. The weapons are extremely lack-luster and very weak, the sword is a wrecking ball of self-healing immortality even on theThe game has the worst level-layout in any game I've ever seen, the entire game is just a series of arenas you transition from with some treasure chests inbetween while fighting the same 5 enemies throughout the entire game. It's incredibly boring and repetitive. The weapons are extremely lack-luster and very weak, the sword is a wrecking ball of self-healing immortality even on the hardest setting, there was clearly no quality assurance involved in this game's production, the bloom is blinding, I had to actually put on sunglasses when I first arrived at the snow-level to continue playing. There are invisible walls everywhere and you can get stuck on teh tiniest doodads while circle-strafing enemies, which is the only thing you will ever do in this game. The boss fights are the most boring and uninspired boss fights in recent history, Really, if you want to continue to hold the shadow warrior franchise in high regard, don't buy this game. however if you're someone who can play cell-phone games for hours and hours on end without ever growing bored then this might be a game for you. Like-wise, if you enjoy stimulating games that can provide a challenge and mix things up so you don't get bored doing the same thing forever, then pass this game by. Expand
  11. Sep 30, 2013
    First off I wanna say this. If youre a fan of COD and the likes this is not a game for you I expect.
    Cause this game requires some actual skill and exploration it is a socalled Old school shooter. Anyway if youre looking for glorious First person sword combat its here. If youre looking for amazing guns its here. If youre looking to split demons in half or chop limbs off its here.
    And

And on top of that this game has an amazing sense of humour, I was literally laughing my ass off when I saw the intro scene. And as is usual with them(and almost any polish dev) well probably get some free DLC.

Please Give this game a try, the reviewers apparently want another COD knock-off, but this is SOOOO much better. If youre still not convinced please watch totalbiscuits preview on the game.
  12. Sep 27, 2013
    A decidedly linear romp much in the modern style of FPS, despite all claims of it being "oldschool". There are secrets hidden off the beaten path between big combat pieces, but no significant exploration or freedom of movement otherwise. It plays and progresses much like Hard Reset did, even though there's now a focus on melee combat (or at least serious attempts to coax the player intoA decidedly linear romp much in the modern style of FPS, despite all claims of it being "oldschool". There are secrets hidden off the beaten path between big combat pieces, but no significant exploration or freedom of movement otherwise. It plays and progresses much like Hard Reset did, even though there's now a focus on melee combat (or at least serious attempts to coax the player into using the sword), with enemies that are suitably bullet-spongey, allowing them to clear the distance to the player and last long enough for the sword to become an asset. There's a skill tree system in play, and upgrades can be purchased both in the form of character skills (such as new melee attacks or more efficient use of medikits) and improvements for your firearms. Lo Wang's return to form does not do anything wrong, yet also nothing remarkably well. Shadow Warrior is a competent enough reboot, if not as good as its inspiration. Expand
  13. Oct 7, 2013
    Poor optimization, long loading time, only 6 different types of enemies, repetitive linear level, check points are far away from each other. Only 1 weapon, katana, is useful, other fire arms are all useless. You are going to play a combat FPS against 6 types of enemies until the end in a situation with frame per second fluctuating a lot.
  14. Sep 27, 2013
    Shadow Warrior was an attempted reboot at the 1997 classic. Even though it deviates pretty far from its roots, it still manages to keep the humor.

A gorefest in every sense of the word, Shadow Warrior puts you in the boots of a reimaged Lo Wang, a younger, if much snarkier swordsman. Lo Wang still delivers those one liners that will make you crack a grin or a gufaw, at least now he's figured out how to spread them out to not ruin their effectiveness.

Plenty of weapons are in the game, and not restricted to the two hold limit, but can be some really far flung ideas, a few even making a comeback from teh 1997 original. Though the weapons lack any real impressive power at start, once upgraded, they become a real beast in their own rights. However the weapon that really stands out in the game is the Katana. Swordplay has been made to be fun and engaging this time, the distance of the strikes, the feedback of impact, and the falling pieces of the enemies make it a rather surprisingly satisfying weapon.

Speaking of the enemies, they're plentiful, but a bit repetitive. You'll never be short of fodder to slaughter, but you'll be finding yourself moving room to room, alley to alley, house to house, dungeon to dungeon, fighting similar looking mobs of strengthening difficulty. This is one of the big detractors from the game as things can get a bit dull when you hack apart the same demon for the umpteenth time, but in that same mind, if you're in it just to go wild and hack n' slash to your hearts content, this game is perfect.

Areas are varied, and very well designed, if sometimes little maze-like, often having you lost, or making unncessary backtracking to find a key or something you may have missed. In that same light, though, secrets are back with a vengance, each chapter containing a hearty number of them that will have you searching every nook and cranny. That said, though, the areas feel more like arenas to fight in, rather than just streamed locales, but this doesn't neccessarily hurt the game, as it constrains the enemies as well so you can be sure the fight never gets dull, or that you're hunting for that one elusive enemy.

The writting and humor still manages to hit right where it matters, surprisingly, even for a slightly more serious reboot. Some of the shine from the old game is still there, but a lot of the nostalgia you might be looking for, if you played the original, is rather lacking, but looking past that, the story and the jokes still hits the target to keep a grin on your face as you play through.

While Shadow Warrior is not breaking any records or ground on gameplay, it definately focuses on what it wants to be a really fun game. Its emphasis on having fun, and keeping that steady roll going, is what makes it shine through all 17 chapters. Though a few might find the game slightly dulled by the constant repetitiveness, you may wanna play this game in short bursts. However, if you're in it for a good bit of wild combat and swordplay, step right up, grab a blade and go to town. Multiplayer is missing this time, the reason for it has made the game stand out, the developers instead focusing on a great single player experience.

Overall, Shadow Warrior isn't the perfect game or reboot, but it does deliver a tight fun, humorous, and entertaining package for someone who enjoys the First Person Shooter Genre of the 90s. It has a few detracting points, it does well to make up for it all in the long run.
  15. Oct 1, 2013
    This is a straight up fun old-school action game with no apologies and excuses. It's good gory fun with occasionally witty dialogue (or snippets, the fortune cookies are a lark). But don't expect much a plot or smart dialogue or moral choices of any sort.
  16. Sep 26, 2013
    This game was pretty fun but I found myself getting bored after a while. If you are looking for something to immerse yourself in, this is not for you. However, it is fun if you have some time to kill. Just dont expect to be playing it for very long.
  17. Sep 27, 2013
    Picture this: You are sitting in front of your computer monitor browsing the dozens and dozens of first-person-shooters that have come out over the last few years. You come to the dramatic realization that almost everything is brown, grim, and freaking boring...with very few truly enjoyable experiences to be had.

If you're a fan of old school, arcadey or arena style shooters, then you

If you're a fan of old school, arcadey or arena style shooters, then you are out of luck. Sure, there's a Bulletstorm here...a Serious Sam there...but what else can tide you over?

Suddenly, out of the shadows comes Shadow Warrior: a pleasant surprise if ever there was one.

Shadow Warrior, quite frankly, is the most fun I've had with a shooter in a long time. Taking nods from Painkiller and The Darkness, Shadow Warrior comes to the table as an arena style shooter with a ton of charm and wonder behind it's combat. The guns are stylish (and you can hold more than 2 at one time...HOW ABOUT THAT?!) and the melee combat with the katana is like nothing else on the market when it comes to first person games. The combat is just fun, and without experiencing it for yourself the only word that describes it is "kinetic".

There is some first rate humor here, as well. Decent voice acting along with witty dialogue from our protagonist and his demonic sidekick give this game some great character. There's also a lot of fourth-wall breaking, and the game never takes itself seriously.

While the level design is mostly linear (and the game does recycle the same set pieces just a tad bit), there are branching paths to explore. You'll definitely want to explore them, too, as not only is it prudent for upgrading your gear...but there are also secrets and easter eggs absolutely everywhere...and some of them are incredibly hilarious with huge amounts of references to other games. If you're a nerd, and have been playing games since the 80s, then you'll get a kick out of some of the awesome stuff there is to find in Shadow Warrior.

Bottom line: Shadow Warrior deserves your time, your attention, and your cash.
  18. Sep 27, 2013
    This game is everything good about FPS games from the late 90s and early 2000s with welcome modern additions. Secrets galore, linear levels but plenty of exploration for those with the eye for it, gratuitous violence, cheesy one liners, skill trees, power trees, weapon upgrades, and move sets to unlock and master. There is so much variety with the skill and power upgrades that the gameThis game is everything good about FPS games from the late 90s and early 2000s with welcome modern additions. Secrets galore, linear levels but plenty of exploration for those with the eye for it, gratuitous violence, cheesy one liners, skill trees, power trees, weapon upgrades, and move sets to unlock and master. There is so much variety with the skill and power upgrades that the game constantly surprises me with fun new ways to kill baddies. There's some story about a magic sword and demons but who cares? Kill everything in sight and scour every corner. Expand
  19. Sep 28, 2013
    Better than Bioshock Infinite. Yes, you heard right. Shadow Warrior is in every way better than Infinite except one: story. Admittedly, the latter is a bit weak, yet the length of the game as well as the awesome combat system more than make up for that. A couple of small bugs don't distract you from the experience. Every battle, every boss fight is satisfying. When slicing through a man,Better than Bioshock Infinite. Yes, you heard right. Shadow Warrior is in every way better than Infinite except one: story. Admittedly, the latter is a bit weak, yet the length of the game as well as the awesome combat system more than make up for that. A couple of small bugs don't distract you from the experience. Every battle, every boss fight is satisfying. When slicing through a man, you get that personal feedback. Infinite? Meh. Goes off big bang and you don't get any feeling. Expand
  20. Sep 26, 2013
    There's no denying Shadow Warrior is 'FUN', but is it worth the asking price? I don't think so. If you're after a repetitive FPS which will make you laugh and embrace swordplay combat, look no further. Shadow Warrior is a nice game to dip in and out of for sure. I've just played two and a half hours straight, but the game began to lose it's appeal. If it had more gameplay variety andThere's no denying Shadow Warrior is 'FUN', but is it worth the asking price? I don't think so. If you're after a repetitive FPS which will make you laugh and embrace swordplay combat, look no further. Shadow Warrior is a nice game to dip in and out of for sure. I've just played two and a half hours straight, but the game began to lose it's appeal. If it had more gameplay variety and they built upon the combat, it could have been great instead of good. I'll go back to SW in a day or so to release some day to day stress. Enjoy. Expand
  21. Sep 27, 2013
    Pretends to be old school, get and is very funny. I think it's a good buy for the money and the hours of fun it offers. But keep your feet on the ground and realize that it is an unpretentious game should not be measured with a higher note than 6. Rate it with 9 is preposterous.
  22. Sep 28, 2013
    This is not a bad game, but for my taste it is. Bloodbath is very nice, enemies are ok. I maybe missing the point of this game, always have that feeling that something is missing. In my opinion Hard Reset is way to much better. This is my opinion, so don't get offended.
  23. Sep 30, 2013
    As a great fan of Hard Reset, I could not wait to get my hands on Shadow Warrior. I just finished the game yesterday and I must say it is a masterpiece. The swordplay is the single most fun element I enjoyed in a FPS since the 90's. Through most of my playthrough I ignored the remaining weapons, because of this, but the flamethrower, double uzi's are really AAA FPS class to me. Of course,As a great fan of Hard Reset, I could not wait to get my hands on Shadow Warrior. I just finished the game yesterday and I must say it is a masterpiece. The swordplay is the single most fun element I enjoyed in a FPS since the 90's. Through most of my playthrough I ignored the remaining weapons, because of this, but the flamethrower, double uzi's are really AAA FPS class to me. Of course, the game has its flaws: The level design could be better and more inspired on 90's maze-like levels, the story is actually good but presented in a shallow and weird form (I'm actually disapointed by not getting to see Hojis face). Even though I give it a 10 for the mere goal of encouragng developers to go in this old school direction. Expand
  24. Sep 30, 2013
    I really don't agree with the critic reviews on this one.. I'm an old school gamer, we strung coax through the ceiling to play doom 1&2 in the dorms. This game reminds me of what it felt like to play those back in the day but cranked up to 2013 style. Yea, there probably could've been some sweet multiplayer added in here, but this game still rocks on it's own. I'm on level 5 now, soI really don't agree with the critic reviews on this one.. I'm an old school gamer, we strung coax through the ceiling to play doom 1&2 in the dorms. This game reminds me of what it felt like to play those back in the day but cranked up to 2013 style. Yea, there probably could've been some sweet multiplayer added in here, but this game still rocks on it's own. I'm on level 5 now, so probably about 6 hours into it. As you get a little more involved, the tuning of the combat system starts to show through some more. At first maybe it was a little underwhelming, but playing further into it, I'm really starting to dig it. The action is fast and encourages you to throw everything you have at them combo'd up as much as possible. The unlocks/upgrades are great (I just got the single-action revolver mod, highly recommend it.) Some of my favorites have been Duke3d & Painkiller, this is right up there with them. If you think you could enjoy some fast paced FPS goodness with the old school charms like medpacks, hidden items & tons of enemies, you'll like this game. Graphics are good, combat is good, explosions, guts.. lots of great small details. Just for extra info, I have a GTX 480 card, i5 2500k chip & 8GB ram.. I'm completely satisfied with the graphics level and framerate (have seen this mentioned a lot). I have it at 1920x1080 with about 7/10 on the graphics levels. Put the physics up the ultra!! Worth the buy! Expand
  25. Oct 2, 2013
    Great FPS! I was surprised by graphics and game play. The key combinations were a bit clumsy at first but work pretty well once you get used to them. Way to go Flying Wild Hog!
  26. Oct 2, 2013
    No optimization for quad-core (tri-core will have same performance as quad ones), no official SLI support. Potential FPS drop on some scenery due to lazy work on poor optimization. Game play is boring and linear, player still have to keep on finding keys in the year of 2013? Painkiller or Serious Sam will give you more fun than that.
  27. Sep 27, 2013
    Not a bad game. Looks very nice maxed out, gameplay is pretty spot on I feel not being able to jump while sprinting hinders the game and also how jumping is implemented just feels weird for me). Using the katana is very satisfying once unlocking more moves. Although not expensive, I still feel it is more a game worth a lower price. It does have a few humorous comments (some not so funny).Not a bad game. Looks very nice maxed out, gameplay is pretty spot on I feel not being able to jump while sprinting hinders the game and also how jumping is implemented just feels weird for me). Using the katana is very satisfying once unlocking more moves. Although not expensive, I still feel it is more a game worth a lower price. It does have a few humorous comments (some not so funny). If you just want a run and gun, simplistic game this is great. Expand
  28. Sep 27, 2013
    This game gives everything it promises, a fun shooter, amazing sword play, and a very beautiful game overall. This is personally my Game of the Year, I only gave it a 9 however because the gun play feels just a little weak until you get the more power guns and upgrades later on, but I don't care that much, knowing I mainly use the sword. This game is the most fun I had playing anything forThis game gives everything it promises, a fun shooter, amazing sword play, and a very beautiful game overall. This is personally my Game of the Year, I only gave it a 9 however because the gun play feels just a little weak until you get the more power guns and upgrades later on, but I don't care that much, knowing I mainly use the sword. This game is the most fun I had playing anything for a long time. I love this game, and it was well worth the money I paid for it. Even though I gave it a 9, I find this game perfect, just perfect. Expand
  29. Sep 28, 2013
    Great Fun, the game doesn't take itself to seriously making for a very enjoyably experience. Really its the Asian duke nukem with the one liners and over the top weapons.
  30. Sep 28, 2013
    This game is plain fun and gore, that's the whole point, nothing special besides fun. The story is nothing special, just funny, the gore is awesome, the fighting is awesome, graphics are mediocre, pretty good game. would give it a 8.5, but that's not possible on metacritic.
  31. Sep 29, 2013
    This remix of Shadow Warrior from Flying Wild Hog is a beautiful game, that is also cheap. The gameplay looks tedious or repetitive, but trust me it is a lot of fun and blast, with different combos from the Kitana combined with weapons, skills and powers alike. The Shadow Warrior in my opinion has been beautiful re imagined/rebooted from the classic era to the modern area. The graphics areThis remix of Shadow Warrior from Flying Wild Hog is a beautiful game, that is also cheap. The gameplay looks tedious or repetitive, but trust me it is a lot of fun and blast, with different combos from the Kitana combined with weapons, skills and powers alike. The Shadow Warrior in my opinion has been beautiful re imagined/rebooted from the classic era to the modern area. The graphics are amazing a cool next-gen quick title if you are wondering about the graphics.
    The gameplay is fun, quick, with a lot of blood and mini puzzles to do. They are really cool secret area throwing you to the classic game, secret collectibles of Karma,Money,etc.
    If you truly can let yourself go of the classic era and embrace the modern step of this game, you will find a gem that only Flying Wild Hog could deliver. If you hadn't play Hard Reset from them, try it, then try this. It is worth any time you got.
  32. Sep 29, 2013
    As someone who expected a pile of trash from this game, I have been completely blown away by what is probably one of the year's best games.

The game is devastatingly beautiful, filled with memorable and unique characters and corny to the correct degree. This game is BETTER than the original Shadow Warrior could have ever hoped to be, and the sort of remake DUKE 3D deserves. I

I strongly recommend this game, and suggest you buy it immediately.
  33. Sep 30, 2013
    Simply the best oldskool FPS reboot on the market, it blows Rise Of The Triad and Hard Reset away. It has (real) secrets, quicksaves and a healthbar. On top of that: upgrades for your weapons, special powers and the most addictive swordfighting/moves I've seen in years. The only downside are the cutscenes and triggered events, that make it not very replayable.
  34. Oct 8, 2013
    Great game-play. Beautiful world. Wicked sense of humor. This game is a fantastic modern old-school FPS with astonishing attention to detail. I am savoring every minute in this game because it is a long time since I've had such fun.
  35. Sep 30, 2013
    Fun Melee Combat, challenging Enemys. Graphics on Ultra are nice too. All in one a good oldschool Action Shooter with cool Katana Gameplay and nice dismemberend. Levels are linear, but with alot of hidden Treasure. Thousand times better than DN4E. If you like in your Face Action without a comlex Story. This is it.
  36. Oct 7, 2013
    This is properly the game I'v enjoyed the most since Deus Ex human revolution and SWTOR.
    In short its a Old school shooter, complete with secrets, keycards, and maze like levels!
    Added to this a modern look in GREAT graphics quality, and thick atmosphere! You can even custom build your combat specs, with karma and chi upgrades and money for guns! -A very nice detail indeed. Good
    Added to this a modern look in GREAT graphics quality, and thick atmosphere!
    Good fun, good action and great sounds, graphic and feel!
    The plot is a bit thin (just like the good old days!) but entertaining.
  37. Oct 8, 2013
    I can't understand why the "professional" critics rate this game so low. This game is way better than the overrated COD games and probably the best fps game this year.
  38. Nov 9, 2013
    Another surprise for me this year. After Gunslinger reinventing wild west shooters, now this game introduces the best melee combat in a shooter.

You will not regret playing this game, and you can easily clock in 20hours. Lots of funny moments, comments, good graphics but not heavy on your machine, good music, and very very very satisfying gameplay.
  39. Nov 16, 2013
    Well, that was a good game.

Classic, pure fun gameplay, with hardcore elements. Long story driven campaign with LONG, and I mean LONG levels. Lots of secrets, easter eggs and humor. And how do I love to listen to those stupid dialogs. Laughed my back off many times. Weapons feel powerful(finally!), swordplay is juicy and badass and there is (anti?)hero to save the....day? Very
    Well, that was a good game.

Very catchy soundtrack, crysis-like visuals(although demanding) and good performance.

There is one bad thing about this game. It has to end.
    Flying Wild Hog made Game Of the Year. Thank you.
  40. Dec 17, 2013
    I can not believe that this game came out. This is the best oldschool game. Lately it has become fashionable to make "scraps" from the games. This is one of the rare, full games over the last 5 years.
  41. Oct 8, 2013
    The weeabo son of painkiller and unreal, the combat is a blend between unreals dancing and painkillers horde control, one of the guns is a stake gun expy and another is flat out the tri-barreled rocket launcher from ut2004. although the guns are great the sword is the heart of the game, everything about the game is about the sword, the combat, the story, you even open magically doors withThe weeabo son of painkiller and unreal, the combat is a blend between unreals dancing and painkillers horde control, one of the guns is a stake gun expy and another is flat out the tri-barreled rocket launcher from ut2004. although the guns are great the sword is the heart of the game, everything about the game is about the sword, the combat, the story, you even open magically doors with it. although the combat is great shadow warrior is very long and i could see why a lot of people could find it repetitive. graphically the game is mediocre but artistically the game is below nothing shadow warrior is beautiful, tear jerkingly beautiful.

anyway that's shadow warrior go buy it
  42. Oct 11, 2013
    Shadow Warrior reboot is an act of love. An act of love for videogamers. Because this stylish FPS is totally what you want to play. Secret Zones?They are in. Gorgeous combat?In. This is also the best melee combat you can find in a first person shooter, Katana is the best weapon ever implemented in a videogame. Some journalist misses the point, playing this game in normal mode. Dash toShadow Warrior reboot is an act of love. An act of love for videogamers. Because this stylish FPS is totally what you want to play. Secret Zones?They are in. Gorgeous combat?In. This is also the best melee combat you can find in a first person shooter, Katana is the best weapon ever implemented in a videogame. Some journalist misses the point, playing this game in normal mode. Dash to avoid attack, counter attack parry, a lot of weapon that you can use at any time, not dumb limit from the modern shooter...This is dream. Collapse
  43. Dec 24, 2013
    Dunno why so much peoples sayng it is remake of shadow warrior ,for me it is looks like some prequell to original game ,atleast storyline is going untill point where is original shadow warrior start to be ,about game itself i can't say that is an "old scool" shooter ,this game is HOW the shooter should be looks like ,game looks just awesome ,great visuals and really good gameplay which isDunno why so much peoples sayng it is remake of shadow warrior ,for me it is looks like some prequell to original game ,atleast storyline is going untill point where is original shadow warrior start to be ,about game itself i can't say that is an "old scool" shooter ,this game is HOW the shooter should be looks like ,game looks just awesome ,great visuals and really good gameplay which is rare this days,specially the melee fight that is just awesome and i was saw similar just in dark messiah of might and magic ,altho it is not the actual shadow warrior as it was and i may say it is ,because if they gonna realise the actual remake of this game with same gameplay style that will be looks too outdated this days and no one basicly gonna play it ,so i think they make a right choise by making te game how it is looks like now.So if you want some Wang ,you have it Expand
  44. Oct 4, 2013
    Shadow warrior is so much more than I had expected. The swordplay is fantastic. The story (no, really) is a pleasant surprise add that to some sweet weapon upgrades along with stellar graphics and I am a happy bunny. Unlike the angry daemon ones that rip your throat out.
  45. Oct 4, 2013
    I'll make this short and concise: This is one of the finest games I've ever played (and i've been gaming since the NES), and definitely a GLORIOUS throwback to the golden era of the 90's PC FPS genre. If you liked Duke Nukem 3D, Shadow Warrior (the original), Serious Sam (any of them), any Quake, any Unreal, Doom 1 and 2, Hard Reset or any Painkiller, THIS GAME IS FOR YOU. It also helpsI'll make this short and concise: This is one of the finest games I've ever played (and i've been gaming since the NES), and definitely a GLORIOUS throwback to the golden era of the 90's PC FPS genre. If you liked Duke Nukem 3D, Shadow Warrior (the original), Serious Sam (any of them), any Quake, any Unreal, Doom 1 and 2, Hard Reset or any Painkiller, THIS GAME IS FOR YOU. It also helps that the swordfighting is basically the best First Person katana controls ever made. Expand
  46. Oct 6, 2013
    One of the best looking 3D Vision games. You'll greatly enjoy it with your 3d glasses, it has gorgeous graphics, one of the most beautiful that I've ever seen on PC together with Metro Last Light and Tomb Raider 2013. This game is very fun, action paced, and it has plenty of upgrades, powers, skills. It deserves a 9/10 without any doubts.
  47. Oct 8, 2013
    Oh no! My eyes are still burning! Somebody help! Do not play this game! They made a colossal mistake letting him fight without showing his body. Stuff like that only works great in shooting games like Call Of Duty and others. EPIC FAIL
  48. Oct 9, 2013
    Flying Wild Hog are readily becoming one of my favourite Dev's. I love Hard Reset and I love their take on Shadow Warrior. This game is good old fashioned fun and surprisingly a robust leveling system to match. So really I think it's a game that anyone can really enjoy it doesn't take itself too seriously and neither should you.

The melee combat is so satisfying and seemingly accurate

The melee combat is so satisfying and seemingly accurate and weighty. If you want to slice a head off, aim for the neck it works, and it's it's awesome. I love the voice acting and one-liners.

The game is quite attractive and has a plethora of PC options. That's what I REALLY love about these devs, they listen to the community and when they make a PC game, they MAKE a PC game. This game works flawlessly using Nvidia Surround and looks stunning across 3 monitors.

I really don't think you can argue with the price especially when it was on pre-order special. You can mix it up with different "special" weapons for a bit more fun, and have a blast trying to find all the little secrets Flying Wild Hog have put into the game (look behind certain waterfalls :)

Games are meant to be fun, and this is exactly that so go have fun already!

Spoonie
  49. Dec 9, 2013
    Fantastic game. Throws you back to the way FPS used to be.

Story? Yeah, it's there, but it's not the key point, you can read a book if you want story. But the chaos, the utter chaos destruction and visual prowess this game offers within the story it does have, is utterly phenomenal. This game absolutely does not hold your hand. Here is the level, you have to achieve this, go, and
    Fantastic game. Throws you back to the way FPS used to be.

This game absolutely does not hold your hand. Here is the level, you have to achieve this, go, and really that's it, which is why I love it.

Absolutely brilliant, excited to hear it's coming to console too.
  50. Sep 30, 2013
    Really drawed me in. Went in expecting nothing but couldn't move away, Just enough story to get you pushing through some repetitive gameplay.

Probably the most fun i've had with a shooter in a while.
  51. Sep 30, 2013
    Good game. Not exactly oldschool thought. .Mayhem is good, graphic is nice. I'm missing more elaborate level design although it does gets better with every stage. Other complain would be the movement speed. It could be just bit faster. Also I just can't get used to stamina. Can we bring back sprinting from the old days? Weapons could be more powerful with exception of katana which isGood game. Not exactly oldschool thought. .Mayhem is good, graphic is nice. I'm missing more elaborate level design although it does gets better with every stage. Other complain would be the movement speed. It could be just bit faster. Also I just can't get used to stamina. Can we bring back sprinting from the old days? Weapons could be more powerful with exception of katana which is powerful enough. But I prefer shooting then melee personally. Story and jokes are bad.

But as I said in the beginning, the game is good because the gameplay holds it all together. Well worth money and time.
  52. Oct 5, 2013
    This game is simply amazing. Lots of blood, and lots of fun. Great story, EXCELLENT graphics, amazing melee and FPS gameplay, many, many references/easter eggs, and lots of humor. If you haven't played this game yet, do yourself a favor and get it. This is the kind of game I can play FOREVER.
  53. Oct 11, 2013
    Very descent game. I didn't like the way you perform special attacks and last third was repetitive. Convoluted setting didn't do much good for me either, though character interaction was interesting. But overall gameplay is a persistent fun. If you like proper, long PC shooters give this a go.
  54. Oct 21, 2013
    Awesome remake from Polish Studio Fying WIld Hog. Bloody, funny FPS with great Katana mechanics. If you think, that DOOM's clones are dead, then you are wrong. Game is cheap, and worth every zł/$/euro etc.
  55. Oct 22, 2013
    best shooter gameplay in years very funny conversation make this easily my favorit fps of 2013. only misses the 10/10 because there is no multiplayer.
  56. Nov 3, 2013
    Lo Wang is hilarious and I really like the combo system in place for doing special moves while your sword is out. The storyline is cheesy but it fits the personality of Wang perfectly, especially when you find out after listening to "The Touch" and joining in as well that you are to offer money for a blade.
  57. Nov 5, 2013
    This game is great, a REAL old school shooter (what Duke Nukem Forever should have been). I think sword combat has never been so fun before in a FPS game and I can't think of any important drawback. without entering in details (for example: many times, on melee combat, you die because the enviroment is "excessively explosive" so to say.).
    To stay short, highly recomended!
  58. Nov 6, 2013
    Fantastic game! Brings Oldschool back to life with new graphics and some of the best sword play ever in any game.. The story even gets good at later lvls.. And don't listen to the ''reviewers'' the fact that you need secrets to upgrade your character and keys to progress is not a bad thing.. this is not a CoD audience they don't need their hand held the entire time.. FANTASTIC GAME
  59. Dec 12, 2013
    unbalanced as hell on hard. I mean it is nearly unbeatable. whoever designed that close-to-the-end arena with 3 berserkers, 2 warlords and summoner is a scumbag who is not deserved to get paid. I dont even wanna know what other two locked difficulties are. and dont tell me about old-school. bad level design is not old-school.
  60. Dec 19, 2013
    In some cases, the content detracts enough from an underwhelming element in a game... This is that kind of game... Sure, the environments are a little repetitive, but I'm having far too much fun to care.
    Cheer up try-hards, it's a game not a job.
  61. Dec 23, 2013
    I played this masterpiece of a game with no knowledge of either the original or hard reset, and when i actually started playing i fell in love with the game by the first level. The combat is as satisfying as it is responsive and the katana's hit detection is probably the best i've ever seen in a video game (however special abilities are difficult to use at first), there is no weapon thatI played this masterpiece of a game with no knowledge of either the original or hard reset, and when i actually started playing i fell in love with the game by the first level. The combat is as satisfying as it is responsive and the katana's hit detection is probably the best i've ever seen in a video game (however special abilities are difficult to use at first), there is no weapon that you feel you won't like simply due to the fact that all of them have niche roles. The plot is interesting as well making mindless killing actually seem like your doing something meaningful however i won't talk too much about it due to spoilers. The game also has a surprisingly good sense of (especially considering the fact that the main character's name is essentially a penis joke). Lastly the world is absolutely beautiful (albeit it's no columbia from bioshock infinite)

Dispite all of that however, the game has a few game breaking AI glitches (like enemies hiding behind cover forever in a place the player can't reach) that make it impossible to advance due to the "kill everything to advance" system that only works if it's well placed in games like castle crashers. Also as i mentoned earlier the abilities are hard to use at first due to minor control issues and the exploration can get pretty boring when you just want to kill everything in sight but there's nothing for you to kill. Another thing to note is the unbareable load times, it's worse than dead rising 2 in this respect.

Overall i'd reccomend this game to anyone who likes good stories, mindless killing, non-serious games and good humour but can tolerate a few downsides that prevent this game being perfect
  62. Jan 9, 2014
    One of the best games I have played on 2013, got it on the sale for 10$ buy would definitely recommend buying for 40$ and even more
    The graphics are good tho not perfect, the story is awesome and the end is well written, the style is perfect to me, and ofc the humor of this game is awesome.
    I can't compare it to the classic game, since I never played it, but if you want a funny game with a good story and LOADS of easter eggs check shadow warrior out-I guarantee you'll like it!
  63. Jan 12, 2014
    Think I paid about £7 for this on GOG. For that I got possibly the best FPS I played all year. Forget AAA blockbusters this budget title was top class. The shooting is top notch, the melee combat is excellent and the campaign is a nice length with a decent enough story to boot. The game itself plays a bit like a more varied version of Serious Sam but with an RPG like skill tree and specialThink I paid about £7 for this on GOG. For that I got possibly the best FPS I played all year. Forget AAA blockbusters this budget title was top class. The shooting is top notch, the melee combat is excellent and the campaign is a nice length with a decent enough story to boot. The game itself plays a bit like a more varied version of Serious Sam but with an RPG like skill tree and special moves. I never played the original but I really enjoyed this. Well done FWH! Expand
  64. Oct 14, 2013
    This is the best slashing/shooting game ive ever played, i never get tired of it.
    i love the jokes of Hoji and the story is amazing.
    it's a must buy game.
    shadow Warrior is my favorite game of 2013!!!
    sorry for bad English.
  65. Oct 16, 2013
    Shadow Warrior is a great combination of classic and modern gameplay elements. It's got fast-paced action and doesn't hold your hand along the way. Expect battles with demons to be quite brutal!
  66. Oct 18, 2013
    Finished Today.
    It's a very good experience for old school players.
    17 chapters of Single Player, in an era where Call Of Duty (From Call Of Duty 2) set a poor standard of longevity. The gameplay is caothic, like good old school games... yes it's a rail game but doesn't matter, it's an amazing jump in the past, where blood, bullets and enemies are everywhere. Graphics it's not
    Finished Today.
    It's a very good experience for old school players.
    Graphics it's not excellent in all the game, but there are some location that are full of details (like the caves).
    The sound part of the game reach the top, with a full set of good samples.
    Musics are epic (especially the opening Theme).
    Amazing Reboot...
  67. Nov 9, 2013
    Now here is a guilty pleasure.
    At first, Shadow warrior appears like a retarded, borderline racist remake of a retarded, plain racist game from the 90's. The plot at first appears contrived and simplistic but as you play it, you realise there's something far more deep in there.
    Now here is a guilty pleasure.
    The game appears to have that cringe-worthy western ability of confusing Chinese and Japanese culture, but as you progress through the game, wading through Wang and Confucius jokes, you start to get the feeling it is all intentional and very tongue in cheek.
    It is all very frivolous and funny but in the background, a very sad and tragic story is revealed. Very, very well done.
    You get a few guns and weapons but the real star of the game is your katana. This has to be some of the best sword play mechanics I have ever come across. Dare I even say it holds the game together.
    The enemies don't change much and the basic of the game remain the same throughout, but the levels are nicely designed and it does allows for some exploration.
    I really felt that by the end, the game had gone a few chapters too long, but it was certainly a very fun ride.
    A very, very good budget title. If you enjoy sword fights, get this one.
  68. Dec 4, 2013
    As much fun as Hard Reset in its own way, way better than any Pain Killer game. Fun gory game and for those of a love of katana. Eye Cybermancy gamers and Killing Floor zerkers this might be right up your ally or not.
  69. Dec 12, 2013
    Good humor, over the top gore, fast paced action, hordes of enemies and a responsiveness that only PC focused games can deliver. It's an old school shooter with modern touches and one of the best FPSs I've played in a while. If it comes up during a sale again, deffinately get it!

If your NOT used to FPS games from the era Shadow Warrior originaly came from (90s), then you will probably find this game extremely hard. The AI is relentless and unlike most modern games, no part of it is easy on the harder difficulty settings.
  70. Dec 20, 2013
    Finally! A single-player shooter managing to provide decent fun without relying on crappy stealth/horror mechanisms or ridiculous pseudo-realism.

It's by no means perfect, not even close. Both the environments and the ennemies lack variety. The level design and graphics, though quite decent, are nothing to write home about. One could say the same thing about weapons and powers. But

But in the end, it's nervous, frantic, the slashing gameplay is efficient and satisfyingly impactful, the story is surprisingly motivating and the whole thing ends up being just plain fun. Well done!
  71. Jan 5, 2014
    It's been a "wang" time since FPS' didn't try to take theirselves too seriously, were difficult, and most of all, fun. Duke Nukem Forever, for many, was a disappointment in that many hoped that it would stay the course of what FPS used to entail: gratuitous, unapologetic, fast paced gore and action. But for the new reboot of Shadow Warrior, being the more "eastern" cousin of Duke NukemIt's been a "wang" time since FPS' didn't try to take theirselves too seriously, were difficult, and most of all, fun. Duke Nukem Forever, for many, was a disappointment in that many hoped that it would stay the course of what FPS used to entail: gratuitous, unapologetic, fast paced gore and action. But for the new reboot of Shadow Warrior, being the more "eastern" cousin of Duke Nukem truly shines in that it redeems what makes FPS great with all the credentials of it being made in 2013. The graphics are completely stunning, not only for the purpose of the aesthetic but even beautifully done with the gore and action too. Melee combat, for FPS, usually always tied into being used as a last ditch effort. But not here. The Katana will probably be the most handy weapon out there, and it's the first one you get! There are a lot of combinations to the weapon that can apply heavy damage and kills, but the combos are frustratingly set on the movement keys and require some wonky movement in order to use them. Second, while the firepower can, at times work for the most part, seem quite underpowered when compared to the Katana. But even then, every gun you use has a satisfying punch to it, and the shotgun is especially of that case when you can unload every shell point blank into quivering demons. As many of the professional critics state, level design is somewhat weak as it usually involved complex corridors followed by arena-sized areas, rinse and repeat. Sometimes the level design can shine between both context and combat orientation, like "You Should See the Other Guy", or generally the chapters involving the shipyard. The Demons, or the general enemies are at the most times competent but usually suffer from clipping errors with items around them, so they can often try to chase you from a corner. In terms of what they can do is another story, as they can evolve and be enraged to greater bring strain to the player. The story is fairly decent and potent for a game that involves gratuitous violence, with a likable chemistry between the main character, Lo Wang, and his demon pal, Hoji, webbing the downfall of the shadow realm and how the sword and Hoji are tied to it. Also, for a FPS, we also get to see a lot of character building too with Lo Wang, from being a sneery, egotistic japanese 'american', to being a full blown, sympathetic professional with the wisdom and charisma of a true master. I didn't really set my sights on Flying Wild Hog before, but with their continued devotion to bring the S back in FPS really makes me feel they are the Id or 3DRealms of our generation. Overall, this game will melt your brain with fun, being fun loving and never tiring to blow demons back to kingdom come, keeping the tradition of secrets and shadow warrior's quotable one-liners, but best of all, making what is FPS, FPS! Expand
  72. Jan 10, 2014
    Awesome game! seriously

The great fun of the 90' is back, but with modern graphics. Now, don't expect a story that will addict you, or sophisticated level design. This is an old schooler, so what's you get is humor, tongue in cheek, many tributes to old games (including the original Shadow Warrior), and tons of simple great fun... and that's what's important. The only
    Awesome game! seriously

The great fun of the 90' is back, but with modern graphics.
    Now, don't expect a story that will addict you, or sophisticated level design.

The only disappointment from this game, is that the developer didn't also took DN3D from 3D realms. Now we can only imagine what that game could have look like.
  73. Jan 24, 2014
    Pros: fun gameplay, Excellent visuals, dynamic characters and hilarious character interaction

CONS: one of the worst ports ive ever seen, i can barely get 25 fps on dual 7870's due to piss poor optomization
  74. Feb 1, 2014
    Quite beautiful, yes. But at the same time quite boring. The old school vibes are good, but, you know, Wolfenstein 3D is also very old. And very simplistic. And that is what Shadow Warrior channels.

The sword is extremely reliable for taking down multiple enemies in melee. It also heals you. So what can be done to make the player feel alive? Right, invulnerable enemies. Some invulnerable until you've killed all the trash, some invulnerable from the front. Bad game design? Old school!

Huge levels that are easy to get lost in? Old school! The one tiny problem is that halfway through the game it stops making sense, so when you're lost you keep asking yourself TWO questions - "Where do I go from here?" and "Why the cat did I even come here?". In a certain level you also get complete darkness for free. And, of course, miles and miles of identical graveyard with identical houses, some of which have a lock on the door. And some doors will magically open once you've killed everything (even if you have no idea where that everything is stuck due to some AI glitch).

Weapons? Well... There's the sword and there are several fartguns. You can upgrade them but their destructive power stays quite meh. But sometimes you have to fight a boss. Solution! You get infinitely respawning ammunition to compensate for the power of your fartguns.

The process is a cycle. Enter a room. Have the door lock itself behind you. Kill everything. Run around the room trying to activate every object in sight. Kill something that got stuck somewhere. Run around the room again, this time some door or console might actually activate.

This is all very oldschool and very sad.
  75. Feb 8, 2014
    The last few games I bought turned out to be huge disappointments, so I was a bit skeptical when this one first came out. But I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. I kept playing this one because it was actually fun, and even though I finished it a couple of days ago, I will definitely be playing it again. This game doesn't have the stupid "two guns at a time" restriction, or theThe last few games I bought turned out to be huge disappointments, so I was a bit skeptical when this one first came out. But I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. I kept playing this one because it was actually fun, and even though I finished it a couple of days ago, I will definitely be playing it again. This game doesn't have the stupid "two guns at a time" restriction, or the lack of saved games that seem to be common in games these days. It has checkpoints AND quick saves, much like the Half-Life series. And unlike most FPS games, the sword is actually a useful weapon, rather than just being something you only use if you run out of ammo.

While this game is different from the original Shadow Warrior, there are some similarities, and some passing references to the original, some of them hidden in secret areas. Along the way, you pick up money, karma points, and ki crystals, which you can use to upgrade your weapons and abilities. There are special moves you can learn, which I was a little unsure about at first, because things like that usually make a game a little too complicated for my taste, but they kept those fairly simple.

The story line, while a little hard to follow at first, kept me interested. The game has 17 chapters, and most of them are pretty long. Early in the story, you pick up a demon sidekick, and the interaction between the two kept me laughing. The political incorrectness that was in the original is not present in this version, but there is a lot more violence and bad language. I had to chuckle when my character dropped an F-bomb after taking a huge amount of damage. Unlike a lot of the recent games, it isn't ridiculously difficult even on the easiest setting. In fact, the easiest setting was too easy, and I ended up restarting and playing on "normal" difficulty. That was about right for me. It didn't make it too easy, but also not too hard to make it frustrating, except when I came up against some of the tougher enemies.
  76. Mar 2, 2014
    The most fun I have had with a game in a long time, it's a perfect follow up to Hard Reset.
    But where Hard Reset was over a little too quickly, this game has a lot more length to it with some really nice looking levels in a range of varied locations. The mix of sword and guns also works better than expected, with the sword being especially satisfying to use, although some of the weapons can feel a little weak sometimes and it would have been nice to have a little more enemy variety.
    But if you prefer your FPS games the old way then you will love this game, levels actually require exploring as opposed to walking from point A to B and the action is constant - no cut scenes every 2 minutes pulling you out of the action but at the same time you get some of the more modern conveniences like weapon upgrades and skill points to spend.
  77. Mar 20, 2014
    Absolutely lovely FPS with a classic flavour. If you like classic shooters like the original Shadow warrior you won't be disappointed. The only thing I didn't like as the rest of game are the boss battles. I felt they didn't had enough feedback to feel satisfying as the rest of the experience. Still, you will love the wonderful intense and strategic battles where you can mix your arsenal.Absolutely lovely FPS with a classic flavour. If you like classic shooters like the original Shadow warrior you won't be disappointed. The only thing I didn't like as the rest of game are the boss battles. I felt they didn't had enough feedback to feel satisfying as the rest of the experience. Still, you will love the wonderful intense and strategic battles where you can mix your arsenal. Lo-wang and Oji will make you laugh various times, and finally the game is long enough to justify the time invested. Looking forward for more from the creators. Very recommended. Expand
  78. Apr 22, 2014
    While I slightly despise the recent trend of rebooting old franchises with their original names while often not being half as satisfying as the original this one obviously has been done very well. The joy, the action, the massacre is actually comparable to the 1997 Shadow Warrior. The game is fast, smooth and feels perfect. Some great weapon and character upgrades (and also some lessWhile I slightly despise the recent trend of rebooting old franchises with their original names while often not being half as satisfying as the original this one obviously has been done very well. The joy, the action, the massacre is actually comparable to the 1997 Shadow Warrior. The game is fast, smooth and feels perfect. Some great weapon and character upgrades (and also some less interesting), good looking graphics and fun character models. So the following nitpicks are far from game-breaking, but noticeable.

When talking about fast paced FPS games from the 90's I don't care about cut-scenes and storylines in general (unless they would be very original and compelling, or really fun) and I'm not exactly in need of a snarky companion while killing bad guys. Both story and characters have been well executed and everything is fully skippable if you so desire, but the story itself hasn't got a lot of depth or originality to offer, really. Still, I guess you could have a much much worse companion than Hoji.
    The biggest con though would be the level design, when compared to the original. It's much more linear and not as huge and maze-like, and consequently there's not as much sense of freedom. I want to be able to backtrack from start to the end and back again, but the game explicitly does not let you do so. Also there are tons of locations where it clearly looks like you can go somewhere, except for those infamous invisible walls. There's still quite some explorational fun to be had, just not as complicated or with as much freedom as the original.

But man, does the game look good and man are that sword and its powers satisfying to use. Nothing of the points of criticism takes away any of that and neither did it stop me from grinning like a maniac most of the time. This is by far one of my favorite modern FPS games and I would heartily recommend it to anyone and everyone. As long as they enjoy flying limbs and tons of blood.
  79. May 31, 2014
    There's no denying that the swordplay is good fun, though I wish the controls could be better. Having to double tap keys in the midst of combat does feel kinda clumsy and there are more intuitive ways of implementing fancy sword attacks. Boss fights were also a bit underwhelming. Using hit and run tactics to slowly destroy weak spots across the span of 10 minutes or more makes for a fightThere's no denying that the swordplay is good fun, though I wish the controls could be better. Having to double tap keys in the midst of combat does feel kinda clumsy and there are more intuitive ways of implementing fancy sword attacks. Boss fights were also a bit underwhelming. Using hit and run tactics to slowly destroy weak spots across the span of 10 minutes or more makes for a fight that's not so much difficult, but rather grindy and tedious. The level design and enemy encounters also start to feel a bit formulaic halfway through the game in my opinion. The story was pretty solid though (even if the ending wasn't that sad because it was overshadowed by all the penis jokes), and the graphics and sound design is well done for the most part. It's a nice game I suppose if you're looking for some fast paced bloody violence, It just lacks a little variety and needs some more polish. Expand
  80. Jul 13, 2014
    Imagine this..

You shoot both arms of a damned, ninja star throwing, ugly ass demon, with your six(eight) shooter. It starts to tremble away. You chase that ugly scumbag down. Then you make a quick upwards slice with your Katana, the upper torso then gets seperated from the rest of body, and as the head passes by the barrel of you six(eight)shooter, YOU BLOW IT CLEAN OFF.... MANLY
    Imagine this..

It starts to tremble away. You chase that ugly scumbag down.

MANLY AS HELL...
  81. Jul 29, 2014
    Remember playing the original when I was younger and didn't recall much but a fun time. Saw this up during a steam sale, and decided after loving DD's games, I would give it a chance and do not regret it.
    It's over the top freshman humor, with good mechanics both melee and shooting, slightly better than most callbacks to the old shoot em up/level up/shoot em up again fps games of ole.
    As a full price PC game maybe not, but on sale or at a deal, it is most def a worthy pick to your collection.
    Hang out With Wang out, and you can't go wrong!
  82. Oct 12, 2014
    I often get bored quickly with FPS style games but Shadow Warrior had me engaged and enjoying myself from start to finish.

Great story - check. Customizable skills, Chi powers and weapons that actually make a difference to game play - check. Diverse and challenging enemies with cool boss fights - check. Hilarious 1-liners - 'you got wang!' and a likable protagonist with personality - yes!

If you haven't played or bought this game yet, do it. For the low $ price this game is superb bang for buck. Completing all missions should take you about 18 hours.
  83. Dec 27, 2013
    What this game lacks in terms of overall professionalism/writing and fine tuning it more than makes up for with FUN and overall chaos. The game does not try to be everything to everyone, to craft a coherent world or story. It's just heaps of silly violence and messy old-school level design with one-line jokes that barely even work! Who cares! A good buy on Steam sale and a nice way toWhat this game lacks in terms of overall professionalism/writing and fine tuning it more than makes up for with FUN and overall chaos. The game does not try to be everything to everyone, to craft a coherent world or story. It's just heaps of silly violence and messy old-school level design with one-line jokes that barely even work! Who cares! A good buy on Steam sale and a nice way to waste a couple of evenings after a day of hard work at the office.

orctowngrot
  84. Oct 10, 2013
    Nice game, probably a bit underrated.

It could have used a bit more optimisation, but other than that, pretty much all the game does, it does it nicely. A nice old school oriented action game. I didn't get to finish the game tho, I got bored of it by the time I got to Zilla Industries in that snowy map, I felt by that time it should have been over, all the mechanics and pretty much
    Nice game, probably a bit underrated.

I didn't get to finish the game tho, I got bored of it by the time I got to Zilla Industries in that snowy map, I felt by that time it should have been over, all the mechanics and pretty much everything was shown and I got bored of just shooting and slashing.

Nice game nonetheless
  85. Oct 13, 2013
    As a hardcore oldschool fan i loved the original shadow warrior.So i had high hopes for the remake and it delivered.The gameplay is fun and is responsive.The engine feels awesome as every cut decapitates a body part of a demon!There are plenty of upgrades you can get for all the weapons.And there are skills to help you out if you get in trouble.The guns feel nice and are awesomeAs a hardcore oldschool fan i loved the original shadow warrior.So i had high hopes for the remake and it delivered.The gameplay is fun and is responsive.The engine feels awesome as every cut decapitates a body part of a demon!There are plenty of upgrades you can get for all the weapons.And there are skills to help you out if you get in trouble.The guns feel nice and are awesome looking.There are few cut scenes so you dont need to worry about the flow. The story is pretty interesting too. I had very few problems with this game,One of which is No map.The game has a bit of backtracking sometimes and is quite confusing at times.Maybe a minimap or something would've helped.And the other problem i had was that the game was sometimes a tad bit repetitive.The game has a nice sense of humor and i liked it.The gameplay felt really satisfying and awesome but i mostly liked the sword play other than the gunplay its just my personal preference. Despite some flaws i think flying wild hog did an excellent job with Shadow Warrior and for the price tag of 25 i think it is 100% worth the price.So if you are an oldschool fan you will love this game. Expand
  86. Oct 13, 2013
    The good :

At first watching the trailers, I was skeptical. But now I'm in chapter 4 and I've never had so much fun with latest FPS games like this one. Visceral, gory, beautiful and not taking itself too seriously is how to describe this game. Oldskool level designs and just plain, fast actions everywhere. Also the swordplay is very satisfying. Unlike the original Shadow Warrior on
    The good :

Oldskool level designs and just plain, fast actions everywhere. Also the swordplay is very satisfying. Unlike the original Shadow Warrior on Dos, your katana plays bigger role here, and most of the time it's more fun to use than the firearms.

Character progression, upgrades, etc. Giving you the sense of accomplishment when you upgrade your gear and spells.

Secrets, secrets everywhere.

The Bad :

No multiplayer? Oh well, but what do you expect. This game is pure blast anyway. If it's ended up like Rise of the Triad reboot, which has multiplayer slapped in just to for the sake of having multiplayer mode, then it'll be such a waste too. Besides, nobody plays ROTT reboot now. So it's just minor complain. I figure it would be awesome with the sword dueling and fast paced, quake like deathmatch.

Lack of optimizations in couple of areas. The framerate got dragged down in several areas. But overall the game is quite smooth. Seems that the particles are very heavy in this game's engine. So I set it to low. Didn't see much difference and the game is still a blast.

Hopefully they do further optimizations for this game in form of patches.

No over-the-top racist jokes like the original. No funny exaggeratted asian accent, also no nudity hentai like in the original game. Lo Wang lose some of his charms, the comments aren't as funny as the original, but somehow it's still have light racist humors. They should've kept the original Lo Wang's personality. Don't get me wrong, I'm chinese and I love the original game's humor so much I eve lol'ed lots when I play the game.

Bottomline is... what are you waiting for? Do yourself a favor... get this game.
  87. Oct 18, 2013
    This game can be both fun and tedious/boring. The conversations are funny and interesting, fortune cookies have always some stupid advice and, surprisingly, the story itself is actually quite good, atleast for an FPS. Stupid jokes can be compared to Blood Dragon, but they occur less frequently and personally I found Blood Dragon's ones more hilarious.

Now, there are a few problems in

Now, there are a few problems in terms of gameplay. First of all, it's very linear, you have a strict leveldesign that you have to follow. It basically feels like being in a corridor. Also, the enemies are some dumb demons that run in your direction trying to deal damage (only a very few exceptions), and playing on "HARD" you'll find that spamming LMB is very effective and can be used many situation against nearly every enemies. This made the fights rather uninteresting.
    Also, it's not quite an oldschool shooter, you have for example a healing power you can use any time which is basically regenerating health.

All in all, it was a fun game which I enjoyed, but it has it's problems.
  88. Oct 19, 2013
    Where ROTT2013 failed to deliver this title did, i.e. it's fun to kill stuff. The upgrade system for weapons, skills and passives is kept simple enough to not distract from the main gameplay. The gameplay is fast-paced (I recommend the stamina & speed upgrades for even faster gameplay) and there are plenty of eastereggs and short cutscenes to keep things interesting.
  89. Oct 20, 2013
    Fun, Interesting, aesthetically appealing, but it got stretched out too long, would have given it a 10 if it were only 5 hours long, but instead I got bored of going from room to room slicing up x amount of guys then moving on, its fun initially but it just gets old. I hardly ever had to use anything besides the sword, the only power that (IMO) was remotely useful was healing, so one hourFun, Interesting, aesthetically appealing, but it got stretched out too long, would have given it a 10 if it were only 5 hours long, but instead I got bored of going from room to room slicing up x amount of guys then moving on, its fun initially but it just gets old. I hardly ever had to use anything besides the sword, the only power that (IMO) was remotely useful was healing, so one hour in i had all the upgrades i needed, only gun i upgraded was shotgun and that was just because. Also the humor is so halfhearted, like they pulled a bunch of jokes off the internet then added Wang to the end, they weren't crude or anything, just boring. Expand
  90. Oct 21, 2013
    It's exciting, guts-spilling fun in short bursts, but the campaign feels too long and dramatically self-indulgent for its own good. That said, if you want to sever limbs and cleave through torsos using bullets and a blade, you're bound to enjoy yourself. Just don't expect to get your brain or your heartstrings involved.

YOU'LL LOVE Goretastic swordplay and shooting Great

YOU'LL LOVE

Goretastic swordplay and shooting
    Great presentation and slick graphics
    Not feeling like a racist for enjoying Lo Wang's antics

YOU'LL HATE

Campaign overstays its welcome
    Some underwhelming weapons and boss battles
    No incentives to keep playing once you've won
  91. Oct 29, 2013
    Shadow Warrior doesn't offer much. You want to chop off some demon heads after a rough day at work? You got it! Like to do some killer moves with smooth fighting mechanics? Be my guest! Want to hear some funny jokes covered in a lot of blood? Some treasure hunt? Easter eggs? Shadow warrior has them all! But don't expect a deep storyline or any kind of serious elements. This game offers aShadow Warrior doesn't offer much. You want to chop off some demon heads after a rough day at work? You got it! Like to do some killer moves with smooth fighting mechanics? Be my guest! Want to hear some funny jokes covered in a lot of blood? Some treasure hunt? Easter eggs? Shadow warrior has them all! But don't expect a deep storyline or any kind of serious elements. This game offers a lot of fun and gore. And this is what you'll get. The greatness of the game lies just here. It gives nothing more than you'll expect but does it -almost- flawlessly. Expand
  92. Nov 2, 2013
    I got a discount coupon for this game since I had the Shadow Warrior Redux, and decided to buy it since the first game was awesome (and beta reviews spoke well of it too xD)

I prefer waiting some time before writing a review since things change with updates. So here's my opinion about the game: - If you played the first game, soon will you realize that the katana is incredible. You

- If you played the first game, soon will you realize that the katana is incredible. You may use it 90% of time. Guns are also strong, but monsters close the gap fast changing weapons is pretty simple, what makes the game flow well

- The graphics are great. They fixed many fps losses, and the game runs a lot smoother than when released. Ambients have a good level of detail, as well as your weapons and the monsters. Things flash here and there, a lot of fire too

- You can upgrade your weapons, choose the skills you want and upgrade them the way you prefer, and also choose lots of passive effects to become stronger, or find more gold/ammo

- The story is interesting. It seems like a puzzle, you get a piece here and there, and things make sense in the end. I think this idea was not well made, I felt really lost at some points, but finishing the game explained everything, and I also watched some cutscenes again to fully understand the situation

In the end, inexpensive game, good quality, and worth playing (13 hours campaign here if you are wondering)
  93. Nov 5, 2013
    I respect what this game tries to be, but the graphics are a bit outdated for the time of its release. Additionally, the loading screens and slight frame drops during heavy action doesn't help. I would have loved to see this game produced on a higher-end game engine. The violence is great, but not SOF worthy.
  94. Nov 17, 2013
    This is just old-fashioned action. Combat is a bit monotonous, but funny. Ranged combat is a bit useless, rushed the game with my katana and it was really bloody and funny. The humour of this game is what makes it so interesting. really reminded me of 80s movies.
  95. Nov 20, 2013
    I signed up to Metacritic to write this review, I feel this strongly about this game. I was so excited for this game but ended up being extremely disappointed. As primarily a FPS PC gamer and fan of the original Duke 3d and Shadow Warrior when they were first released, this is a poor recreation. I dare say Duke Nukem Forever was a more loyal sequel to Duke3d than this is to Shadow Warrior.I signed up to Metacritic to write this review, I feel this strongly about this game. I was so excited for this game but ended up being extremely disappointed. As primarily a FPS PC gamer and fan of the original Duke 3d and Shadow Warrior when they were first released, this is a poor recreation. I dare say Duke Nukem Forever was a more loyal sequel to Duke3d than this is to Shadow Warrior.

Lo Wang in this game is not likable, his jokes are rarely funny, the demon/almost satanic theme is horrible and there are bugs galore. Instead of a "baseball wrong, man with four balls cannot walk" we get a fortune cookie that says "there is only wang". WTF! This is only a single example but I could go on for an hour about how this game is completely inferior to the original. If you are in to horror type FPS games I could see you liking this game for what it is and not for a Shadow Warrior remake.

I did enjoy Hard Reset as a FYI and I do think the sword combat is good in this game but all the other faults make this a definite pass. Instead of solid combat with an equal opportunity to use guns and the sword, this game forces you to use the sword for everything along with the lame sword powers. Half the time you fight your character is dancing around as you try to remember movement combinations to activate the super sword powers. Oh my word. If Steam had the ability to gift used games I would give this away, I dont think I can play it anymore honestly.
  96. Dec 16, 2013
    I am a huge fan of first person slasher games. I would list them all, but I don't think that is appropriate for this review. In any case, when I seen this swordplay game available for pre-order, it was a must-buy for me.
    The graphics are impressive, the dialogue is entertaining enough, Lo Wang and Hoji are both very likeable characters, and the epic large scale boss battles were quite well done.
    ...So why was I so rushed and eager to end the game? I felt like there was really little to do, that it was extremely linear, and that it had some of the most repetitive and monotonous combat I have played recently.
    I cannot deny the quality points of the game, but I expect a whole lot more depth from games I spend 40 bucks on. This game offers nothing other than moving from point A to point B while mindlessly hacking at hordes of similar enemies, and the combat is not even very impressive.

I give this game a 7/10 for its decent performance at delivering a polished generic slasher game, but remove another point because of its lack of content for its price.
  97. Dec 19, 2013
    Now the reluctant hero must become legend through a masterful combination of gun, blade, magic and wit to uncover the truth behind the demonic invasion and banish evil back into the darkness. A great revival of an old, crazy game and a very pleasant, fast FPS providing many hours of enthusiastic mouse torture.
  98. Apr 2, 2014
    More of the same from Flying Wild Hog, Shadow Warrior plays like Hard Reset but with a sword this time to shoo away all the little enemies so you can get at the big guys.

The sword play is fun and satisfying - dismembering demons seems more cathartic than smashing robots back into the scrap they were made from. The guns are the industry standards, the innovation we've seen previously is gone but I used the sword about 80% of the time so I didn't get too bored of them, they just feel a bit token.

Each enemy is unique and requires fighting in it's own way and you'll fight them throughout the game. The little enemies from the start are still present at the end, just in larger quantities. this lends to the feeling of progression when you can effortlessly cleave through a horde who would have murdered you at the start.

There isn't much variation in level design - the temples, shipyard and lab may have different textures but the are put together the same way and you'll go through the same process in each.

Overall lots of fun to make lots of mess of lots of demons but nothing more; not long enough to over stay its welcome.
  99. Apr 6, 2014
    This is the most fun i have had in a videogame in a long time. The action has a oldschool feel and is very satisfying, even though this is a first person shooter i barely shot anything and mostly used my sword to hack and slash through the hordes of hellspawn.
    The game doesnt take itself too serious and is fun and over the top. With that said at the end of the game i found myself caring for the main characters.
    Get this game if you are a big fan of games like serious sam and Bulletstorm
  100. Apr 17, 2014
    This is a great game, I haven't completed it yet. I've only played a level or two (which are long) but what I can say is that this game is worth buying for $/£20 at most. The way you can chop enemies up into pieces with the sword are phenomenal, there are secrets, you have to backtrack a little bit, the levels are long and a bit little complex with secrets, it's fantastic. There's alsoThis is a great game, I haven't completed it yet. I've only played a level or two (which are long) but what I can say is that this game is worth buying for $/£20 at most. The way you can chop enemies up into pieces with the sword are phenomenal, there are secrets, you have to backtrack a little bit, the levels are long and a bit little complex with secrets, it's fantastic. There's also easter eggs, references and a bit of comedy on the side which is good.

I would had given this game a 9 or 10 if it was optimized better. Turning on AA will lag this game to pieces, and this game likes to heat up my GPU... A lot; compared to other games.

Aside from that, this game is definitely worth buying as its a throw back to older games.
  101. Oct 11, 2013

1. Mar 11, 2014
    Shadow Warrior is highly 90’s in a very good way. Pace is fast, health kits are in, guns are powerful, action is great, puns are bad and there is lot of flying blood and boy parts. The letdown is level design: they are too bland. [Nov 2013]
  2. Dec 5, 2013
    A successful revival of the mid-90's shooter. Shadow Warrior's combat is fun despite an irritating sense of humor. [Jan 2014, p.66]
  3. Nov 25, 2013
    No matter which way you slice its solid shooting mechanics, it still doesn't feel like Shadow Warrior. [December 2013, p.90]