8.1

1. Sep 26, 2013
    Good times and a cheap price. Fun gun/swordplay and fast paced action with exploration elements. Upgradeable weapons and sliceable enemies. Looking forward to more games from this developer.
  2. Sep 27, 2013
    Some of the 'professional' reviewers are missing the point of this game. I see folks complaining about getting lost in complex levels, having to find keys to advance, needing secrets to upgrade Lo Wang. This is what Call of Doodie has done to a generation of gamers... put simply, this is the best FPS to come along in a while and it's apologetically hard and old school. Thank you, Flying Wild Hog.
  3. Sep 26, 2013
    Why do reviewers never give credit to these superbly smooth and well designed FPS games?! The gameplay... is so damn satisfying.

If you like games like Painkiller and Serious Sam, then definitely give this a go.
  4. Sep 27, 2013
    A great way to describe this game, very simply, is with the word 'fun'. It's a blast. Gorgeous visuals, especially the lighting effects and a nice variety in level appearance. Great variety of weapons, which look and feel good to use. Plenty of upgrades, giving you lots of freedom to choose to how you want to power up. Lots of content too 17 levels and the levels aren't that short. Tons of secrets and amusing hidden easter eggs to find. Very nostalgic but at the same time very modern, for example the fact that nearly every little object in the game is destructible. The way the story is presented is a huge improvement on how it was handled in this dev's previous game, Hard Reset, and it's great fun to hear the banter between Lo Wang and the demon Hoji. Great game overall! Bravo Flying WIld Hog! Expand
  5. Sep 27, 2013
    I'm actually pleasantly surprised by this game. It has really nice combat, there's a great atmosphere, the levels are built quite well and it's not expensive at all. The only thing that should be improved is the framerate. It runs quite well, but there are games that do look better and are less demanding. Still, it's a great old-school game and I can only hope more games like this wil be made.
  6. Sep 27, 2013
    Quite honestly one of the best shooters to come out this generation, which is something coming from the mouth of a fan of Battlefield 3 or other "good" military shooters. Because, hey, Shadow Warrior has AIMING DOWN THE SIGHT mechanics for those who prefer precision shooting (which is a mechanic I love as well, but I mix it up in Shadow Warrior with the sword and firing like some sort of insane Rambo). So don't despair, Call of Duty fans!

But, I cannot deny my love affair with nostalgic shooters that I played when I was a kid, including the recent Shadow Warrior Classic Redux that I made sure to finish before buying this amazing game! However, we can't forget about Doom or Duke Nukem 3D either! Shadow Warrior does EVERYTHING right, regardless of the supposed "level design" issues despite said levels being beautiful and wonderfully varied.

Here is why the game is good before I go off on further tangents:

Insane levels of depth with weapon upgrades, skills, and powers, with each requiring their own resource to upgrade that you can find in the world.

Insane value, as the game is lengthy as Lo Wang's um, wang, with about 17 levels/chapters.

Explosive, bloody, and gorey combat that is too much fun whether or not you prefer using magic, sword, or other weapons like the PDW (SMG) which is my favorite weapon!

Fantastic humor, with Lo Wang's classic one liners and quotable quotes.

Insanely good visuals. Numerous visual options to help balance beauty and performance, including the extremely underused TRIPLE BUFFERING option. Field of view slider included for even the most discerning first person shooter fan!

Secret areas. Did you think they would leave out fun to find secret areas, that are actually TOUGH to find? Well, think again!

Now, that is my review of Shadow Warrior. Is this game perfect? NO, but it is as close to perfection that we will get in a shooter these days!
  7. Sep 30, 2013
    Being a long time fan of Painkiller and the likes (i.e. more difficult FPS) this game is now the #1 FPS I have ever played. A lot of fun, a variety of scenery with a very much viable sword play and non-hitscan enemies I can't do anything but recommend this title to anyone looking a different (a bit more old-school with new-school elements thrown in it) spin on FPS.

At this price, you
    can't go wrong. I've spent 17 hours the first day it got released. That alone has made it worthwhile and knowing we can probably expect some free DLCs on top of that (as was the case with Hard Reset) at 20€ (discount coupon, which you can get easily on SPUF) this game is a steal.

What an awesome homage to gore, violence and the entire genre, giving nods left and right to culture of the 90s and best games from the past.
  8. Sep 30, 2013
    First off I wanna say this. If youre a fan of COD and the likes this is not a game for you I expect.
    Cause this game requires some actual skill and exploration it is a socalled Old school shooter. Anyway if youre looking for glorious First person sword combat its here. If youre looking for amazing guns its here. If youre looking to split demons in half or chop limbs off its here.

And
    on top of that this game has an amazing sense of humour, I was literally laughing my ass off when I saw the intro scene. And as is usual with them(and almost any polish dev) well probably get some free DLC.

Please Give this game a try, the reviewers apparently want another COD knock-off, but this is SOOOO much better. If youre still not convinced please watch totalbiscuits preview on the game.
  9. Sep 27, 2013
    Shadow Warrior was an attempted reboot at the 1997 classic. Even though it deviates pretty far from its roots, it still manages to keep the humor.

A gorefest in every sense of the word, Shadow Warrior puts you in the boots of a reimaged Lo Wang, a younger, if much snarkier swordsman. Lo Wang still delivers those one liners that will make you crack a grin or a gufaw, at least now he's
    figured out how to spread them out to not ruin their effectiveness.

Plenty of weapons are in the game, and not restricted to the two hold limit, but can be some really far flung ideas, a few even making a comeback from teh 1997 original. Though the weapons lack any real impressive power at start, once upgraded, they become a real beast in their own rights. However the weapon that really stands out in the game is the Katana. Swordplay has been made to be fun and engaging this time, the distance of the strikes, the feedback of impact, and the falling pieces of the enemies make it a rather surprisingly satisfying weapon.

Speaking of the enemies, they're plentiful, but a bit repetitive. You'll never be short of fodder to slaughter, but you'll be finding yourself moving room to room, alley to alley, house to house, dungeon to dungeon, fighting similar looking mobs of strengthening difficulty. This is one of the big detractors from the game as things can get a bit dull when you hack apart the same demon for the umpteenth time, but in that same mind, if you're in it just to go wild and hack n' slash to your hearts content, this game is perfect.

Areas are varied, and very well designed, if sometimes little maze-like, often having you lost, or making unncessary backtracking to find a key or something you may have missed. In that same light, though, secrets are back with a vengance, each chapter containing a hearty number of them that will have you searching every nook and cranny. That said, though, the areas feel more like arenas to fight in, rather than just streamed locales, but this doesn't neccessarily hurt the game, as it constrains the enemies as well so you can be sure the fight never gets dull, or that you're hunting for that one elusive enemy.

The writting and humor still manages to hit right where it matters, surprisingly, even for a slightly more serious reboot. Some of the shine from the old game is still there, but a lot of the nostalgia you might be looking for, if you played the original, is rather lacking, but looking past that, the story and the jokes still hits the target to keep a grin on your face as you play through.

While Shadow Warrior is not breaking any records or ground on gameplay, it definately focuses on what it wants to be a really fun game. Its emphasis on having fun, and keeping that steady roll going, is what makes it shine through all 17 chapters. Though a few might find the game slightly dulled by the constant repetitiveness, you may wanna play this game in short bursts. However, if you're in it for a good bit of wild combat and swordplay, step right up, grab a blade and go to town. Multiplayer is missing this time, the reason for it has made the game stand out, the developers instead focusing on a great single player experience.

Overall, Shadow Warrior isn't the perfect game or reboot, but it does deliver a tight fun, humorous, and entertaining package for someone who enjoys the First Person Shooter Genre of the 90s. It has a few detracting points, it does well to make up for it all in the long run.
  10. Sep 27, 2013
    This game is everything good about FPS games from the late 90s and early 2000s with welcome modern additions. Secrets galore, linear levels but plenty of exploration for those with the eye for it, gratuitous violence, cheesy one liners, skill trees, power trees, weapon upgrades, and move sets to unlock and master. There is so much variety with the skill and power upgrades that the game constantly surprises me with fun new ways to kill baddies. There's some story about a magic sword and demons but who cares? Kill everything in sight and scour every corner. Expand
  11. Sep 27, 2013
    Picture this: You are sitting in front of your computer monitor browsing the dozens and dozens of first-person-shooters that have come out over the last few years. You come to the dramatic realization that almost everything is brown, grim, and freaking boring...with very few truly enjoyable experiences to be had.

If you're a fan of old school, arcadey or arena style shooters, then you
    are out of luck. Sure, there's a Bulletstorm here...a Serious Sam there...but what else can tide you over?

Suddenly, out of the shadows comes Shadow Warrior: a pleasant surprise if ever there was one.

Shadow Warrior, quite frankly, is the most fun I've had with a shooter in a long time. Taking nods from Painkiller and The Darkness, Shadow Warrior comes to the table as an arena style shooter with a ton of charm and wonder behind it's combat. The guns are stylish (and you can hold more than 2 at one time...HOW ABOUT THAT?!) and the melee combat with the katana is like nothing else on the market when it comes to first person games. The combat is just fun, and without experiencing it for yourself the only word that describes it is "kinetic".

There is some first rate humor here, as well. Decent voice acting along with witty dialogue from our protagonist and his demonic sidekick give this game some great character. There's also a lot of fourth-wall breaking, and the game never takes itself seriously.

While the level design is mostly linear (and the game does recycle the same set pieces just a tad bit), there are branching paths to explore. You'll definitely want to explore them, too, as not only is it prudent for upgrading your gear...but there are also secrets and easter eggs absolutely everywhere...and some of them are incredibly hilarious with huge amounts of references to other games. If you're a nerd, and have been playing games since the 80s, then you'll get a kick out of some of the awesome stuff there is to find in Shadow Warrior.

Bottom line: Shadow Warrior deserves your time, your attention, and your cash.
  12. Sep 30, 2013
    As a great fan of Hard Reset, I could not wait to get my hands on Shadow Warrior. I just finished the game yesterday and I must say it is a masterpiece. The swordplay is the single most fun element I enjoyed in a FPS since the 90's. Through most of my playthrough I ignored the remaining weapons, because of this, but the flamethrower, double uzi's are really AAA FPS class to me. Of course, the game has its flaws: The level design could be better and more inspired on 90's maze-like levels, the story is actually good but presented in a shallow and weird form (I'm actually disapointed by not getting to see Hojis face). Even though I give it a 10 for the mere goal of encouragng developers to go in this old school direction. Expand
  13. Oct 2, 2013
    Great FPS! I was surprised by graphics and game play. The key combinations were a bit clumsy at first but work pretty well once you get used to them. Way to go Flying Wild Hog!
  14. Sep 29, 2013
    This remix of Shadow Warrior from Flying Wild Hog is a beautiful game, that is also cheap. The gameplay looks tedious or repetitive, but trust me it is a lot of fun and blast, with different combos from the Kitana combined with weapons, skills and powers alike. The Shadow Warrior in my opinion has been beautiful re imagined/rebooted from the classic era to the modern area. The graphics are amazing a cool next-gen quick title if you are wondering about the graphics.
    The gameplay is fun, quick, with a lot of blood and mini puzzles to do. They are really cool secret area throwing you to the classic game, secret collectibles of Karma,Money,etc.
    If you truly can let yourself go of the classic era and embrace the modern step of this game, you will find a gem that only Flying Wild Hog could deliver. If you hadn't play Hard Reset from them, try it, then try this. It is worth any time you got.
  15. Sep 30, 2013
    I really don't agree with the critic reviews on this one.. I'm an old school gamer, we strung coax through the ceiling to play doom 1&2 in the dorms. This game reminds me of what it felt like to play those back in the day but cranked up to 2013 style. Yea, there probably could've been some sweet multiplayer added in here, but this game still rocks on it's own. I'm on level 5 now, so probably about 6 hours into it. As you get a little more involved, the tuning of the combat system starts to show through some more. At first maybe it was a little underwhelming, but playing further into it, I'm really starting to dig it. The action is fast and encourages you to throw everything you have at them combo'd up as much as possible. The unlocks/upgrades are great (I just got the single-action revolver mod, highly recommend it.) Some of my favorites have been Duke3d & Painkiller, this is right up there with them. If you think you could enjoy some fast paced FPS goodness with the old school charms like medpacks, hidden items & tons of enemies, you'll like this game. Graphics are good, combat is good, explosions, guts.. lots of great small details. Just for extra info, I have a GTX 480 card, i5 2500k chip & 8GB ram.. I'm completely satisfied with the graphics level and framerate (have seen this mentioned a lot). I have it at 1920x1080 with about 7/10 on the graphics levels. Put the physics up the ultra!! Worth the buy! Expand
  16. Oct 8, 2013
    Great game-play. Beautiful world. Wicked sense of humor. This game is a fantastic modern old-school FPS with astonishing attention to detail. I am savoring every minute in this game because it is a long time since I've had such fun.
  17. Sep 28, 2013
    This game is plain fun and gore, that's the whole point, nothing special besides fun. The story is nothing special, just funny, the gore is awesome, the fighting is awesome, graphics are mediocre, pretty good game. would give it a 8.5, but that's not possible on metacritic.
  18. Sep 29, 2013
    As someone who expected a pile of trash from this game, I have been completely blown away by what is probably one of the year's best games.

The game is devastatingly beautiful, filled with memorable and unique characters and corny to the correct degree. This game is BETTER than the original Shadow Warrior could have ever hoped to be, and the sort of remake DUKE 3D deserves.

I
    strongly recommend this game, and suggest you buy it immediately. Expand
  19. Sep 30, 2013
    Simply the best oldskool FPS reboot on the market, it blows Rise Of The Triad and Hard Reset away. It has (real) secrets, quicksaves and a healthbar. On top of that: upgrades for your weapons, special powers and the most addictive swordfighting/moves I've seen in years. The only downside are the cutscenes and triggered events, that make it not very replayable.
  20. Sep 27, 2013
    This game gives everything it promises, a fun shooter, amazing sword play, and a very beautiful game overall. This is personally my Game of the Year, I only gave it a 9 however because the gun play feels just a little weak until you get the more power guns and upgrades later on, but I don't care that much, knowing I mainly use the sword. This game is the most fun I had playing anything for a long time. I love this game, and it was well worth the money I paid for it. Even though I gave it a 9, I find this game perfect, just perfect. Expand
  21. Nov 9, 2013
    Another surprise for me this year. After Gunslinger reinventing wild west shooters, now this game introduces the best melee combat in a shooter.

You will not regret playing this game, and you can easily clock in 20hours. Lots of funny moments, comments, good graphics but not heavy on your machine, good music, and very very very satisfying gameplay.
  22. Oct 8, 2013
    I can't understand why the "professional" critics rate this game so low. This game is way better than the overrated COD games and probably the best fps game this year.
  23. Nov 16, 2013
    Well, that was a good game. Classic, pure fun gameplay, with hardcore elements. Long story driven campaign with LONG, and I mean LONG levels. Lots of secrets, easter eggs and humor. And how do I love to listen to those stupid dialogs. Laughed my back off many times. Weapons feel powerful(finally!), swordplay is juicy and badass and there is (anti?)hero to save the....day? Very catchy soundtrack, crysis-like visuals(although demanding) and good performance.

There is one bad thing about this game. It has to end.
    Flying Wild Hog made Game Of the Year. Thank you.
  24. Oct 7, 2013
    This is properly the game I'v enjoyed the most since Deus Ex human revolution and SWTOR.
    In short its a Old school shooter, complete with secrets, keycards, and maze like levels!
    Added to this a modern look in GREAT graphics quality, and thick atmosphere!
    You can even custom build your combat specs, with karma and chi upgrades and money for guns! -A very nice detail indeed.
    Good
    fun, good action and great sounds, graphic and feel!
    The plot is a bit thin (just like the good old days!) but entertaining.
  25. Dec 17, 2013
    I can not believe that this game came out. This is the best oldschool game. Lately it has become fashionable to make "scraps" from the games. This is one of the rare, full games over the last 5 years.
  26. Oct 8, 2013
    The weeabo son of painkiller and unreal, the combat is a blend between unreals dancing and painkillers horde control, one of the guns is a stake gun expy and another is flat out the tri-barreled rocket launcher from ut2004. although the guns are great the sword is the heart of the game, everything about the game is about the sword, the combat, the story, you even open magically doors with it. although the combat is great shadow warrior is very long and i could see why a lot of people could find it repetitive. graphically the game is mediocre but artistically the game is below nothing shadow warrior is beautiful, tear jerkingly beautiful.

anyway that's shadow warrior go buy it
  27. Dec 24, 2013
    Dunno why so much peoples sayng it is remake of shadow warrior ,for me it is looks like some prequell to original game ,atleast storyline is going untill point where is original shadow warrior start to be ,about game itself i can't say that is an "old scool" shooter ,this game is HOW the shooter should be looks like ,game looks just awesome ,great visuals and really good gameplay which is rare this days,specially the melee fight that is just awesome and i was saw similar just in dark messiah of might and magic ,altho it is not the actual shadow warrior as it was and i may say it is ,because if they gonna realise the actual remake of this game with same gameplay style that will be looks too outdated this days and no one basicly gonna play it ,so i think they make a right choise by making te game how it is looks like now.So if you want some Wang ,you have it Expand
  28. Oct 4, 2013
    I'll make this short and concise: This is one of the finest games I've ever played (and i've been gaming since the NES), and definitely a GLORIOUS throwback to the golden era of the 90's PC FPS genre. If you liked Duke Nukem 3D, Shadow Warrior (the original), Serious Sam (any of them), any Quake, any Unreal, Doom 1 and 2, Hard Reset or any Painkiller, THIS GAME IS FOR YOU. It also helps that the swordfighting is basically the best First Person katana controls ever made. Expand
  29. Dec 9, 2013
    Fantastic game. Throws you back to the way FPS used to be. Story? Yeah, it's there, but it's not the key point, you can read a book if you want story. But the chaos, the utter chaos destruction and visual prowess this game offers within the story it does have, is utterly phenomenal. This game absolutely does not hold your hand. Here is the level, you have to achieve this, go, and really that's it, which is why I love it.

Absolutely brilliant, excited to hear it's coming to console too.
  30. Oct 11, 2013
    Shadow Warrior reboot is an act of love. An act of love for videogamers. Because this stylish FPS is totally what you want to play. Secret Zones?They are in. Gorgeous combat?In. This is also the best melee combat you can find in a first person shooter, Katana is the best weapon ever implemented in a videogame. Some journalist misses the point, playing this game in normal mode. Dash to avoid attack, counter attack parry, a lot of weapon that you can use at any time, not dumb limit from the modern shooter...This is dream. Expand
  31. Oct 6, 2013
    One of the best looking 3D Vision games. You'll greatly enjoy it with your 3d glasses, it has gorgeous graphics, one of the most beautiful that I've ever seen on PC together with Metro Last Light and Tomb Raider 2013. This game is very fun, action paced, and it has plenty of upgrades, powers, skills. It deserves a 9/10 without any doubts.
  32. Dec 19, 2013
    In some cases, the content detracts enough from an underwhelming element in a game... This is that kind of game... Sure, the environments are a little repetitive, but I'm having far too much fun to care.
    Cheer up try-hards, it's a game not a job.
  33. Jan 12, 2014
    Think I paid about £7 for this on GOG. For that I got possibly the best FPS I played all year. Forget AAA blockbusters this budget title was top class. The shooting is top notch, the melee combat is excellent and the campaign is a nice length with a decent enough story to boot. The game itself plays a bit like a more varied version of Serious Sam but with an RPG like skill tree and special moves. I never played the original but I really enjoyed this. Well done FWH! Expand
  34. Oct 11, 2013
    Very descent game. I didn't like the way you perform special attacks and last third was repetitive. Convoluted setting didn't do much good for me either, though character interaction was interesting. But overall gameplay is a persistent fun. If you like proper, long PC shooters give this a go.
  35. Oct 5, 2013
    This game is simply amazing. Lots of blood, and lots of fun. Great story, EXCELLENT graphics, amazing melee and FPS gameplay, many, many references/easter eggs, and lots of humor. If you haven't played this game yet, do yourself a favor and get it. This is the kind of game I can play FOREVER.
  36. Nov 5, 2013
    This game is great, a REAL old school shooter (what Duke Nukem Forever should have been). I think sword combat has never been so fun before in a FPS game and I can't think of any important drawback. without entering in details (for example: many times, on melee combat, you die because the enviroment is "excessively explosive" so to say.).
    To stay short, highly recomended!
  37. Nov 3, 2013
    Lo Wang is hilarious and I really like the combo system in place for doing special moves while your sword is out. The storyline is cheesy but it fits the personality of Wang perfectly, especially when you find out after listening to "The Touch" and joining in as well that you are to offer money for a blade.
  38. Jan 9, 2014
    One of the best games I have played on 2013, got it on the sale for 10$ buy would definitely recommend buying for 40$ and even more
    The graphics are good tho not perfect, the story is awesome and the end is well written, the style is perfect to me, and ofc the humor of this game is awesome.
    I can't compare it to the classic game, since I never played it, but if you want a funny game with
    a good story and LOADS of easter eggs check shadow warrior out-I guarantee you'll like it! Expand
  39. Oct 21, 2013
    Awesome remake from Polish Studio Fying WIld Hog. Bloody, funny FPS with great Katana mechanics. If you think, that DOOM's clones are dead, then you are wrong. Game is cheap, and worth every zł/$/euro etc.
  40. Oct 22, 2013
    best shooter gameplay in years very funny conversation make this easily my favorit fps of 2013. only misses the 10/10 because there is no multiplayer.
  41. Nov 6, 2013
    Fantastic game! Brings Oldschool back to life with new graphics and some of the best sword play ever in any game.. The story even gets good at later lvls.. And don't listen to the ''reviewers'' the fact that you need secrets to upgrade your character and keys to progress is not a bad thing.. this is not a CoD audience they don't need their hand held the entire time.. FANTASTIC GAME
  42. Dec 23, 2013
    I played this masterpiece of a game with no knowledge of either the original or hard reset, and when i actually started playing i fell in love with the game by the first level. The combat is as satisfying as it is responsive and the katana's hit detection is probably the best i've ever seen in a video game (however special abilities are difficult to use at first), there is no weapon that you feel you won't like simply due to the fact that all of them have niche roles. The plot is interesting as well making mindless killing actually seem like your doing something meaningful however i won't talk too much about it due to spoilers. The game also has a surprisingly good sense of (especially considering the fact that the main character's name is essentially a penis joke). Lastly the world is absolutely beautiful (albeit it's no columbia from bioshock infinite)

Dispite all of that however, the game has a few game breaking AI glitches (like enemies hiding behind cover forever in a place the player can't reach) that make it impossible to advance due to the "kill everything to advance" system that only works if it's well placed in games like castle crashers. Also as i mentoned earlier the abilities are hard to use at first due to minor control issues and the exploration can get pretty boring when you just want to kill everything in sight but there's nothing for you to kill. Another thing to note is the unbareable load times, it's worse than dead rising 2 in this respect.

Overall i'd reccomend this game to anyone who likes good stories, mindless killing, non-serious games and good humour but can tolerate a few downsides that prevent this game being perfect
  43. Dec 12, 2013
    Good humor, over the top gore, fast paced action, hordes of enemies and a responsiveness that only PC focused games can deliver. It's an old school shooter with modern touches and one of the best FPSs I've played in a while. If it comes up during a sale again, deffinately get it!

If your NOT used to FPS games from the era Shadow Warrior originaly came from (90s), then you will probably
    find this game extremely hard. The AI is relentless and unlike most modern games, no part of it is easy on the harder difficulty settings. Expand
  44. Apr 22, 2014
    While I slightly despise the recent trend of rebooting old franchises with their original names while often not being half as satisfying as the original this one obviously has been done very well. The joy, the action, the massacre is actually comparable to the 1997 Shadow Warrior. The game is fast, smooth and feels perfect. Some great weapon and character upgrades (and also some less interesting), good looking graphics and fun character models. So the following nitpicks are far from game-breaking, but noticeable.

When talking about fast paced FPS games from the 90's I don't care about cut-scenes and storylines in general (unless they would be very original and compelling, or really fun) and I'm not exactly in need of a snarky companion while killing bad guys. Both story and characters have been well executed and everything is fully skippable if you so desire, but the story itself hasn't got a lot of depth or originality to offer, really. Still, I guess you could have a much much worse companion than Hoji.
    The biggest con though would be the level design, when compared to the original. It's much more linear and not as huge and maze-like, and consequently there's not as much sense of freedom. I want to be able to backtrack from start to the end and back again, but the game explicitly does not let you do so. Also there are tons of locations where it clearly looks like you can go somewhere, except for those infamous invisible walls. There's still quite some explorational fun to be had, just not as complicated or with as much freedom as the original.

But man, does the game look good and man are that sword and its powers satisfying to use. Nothing of the points of criticism takes away any of that and neither did it stop me from grinning like a maniac most of the time. This is by far one of my favorite modern FPS games and I would heartily recommend it to anyone and everyone. As long as they enjoy flying limbs and tons of blood.
  45. Feb 8, 2014
    The last few games I bought turned out to be huge disappointments, so I was a bit skeptical when this one first came out. But I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. I kept playing this one because it was actually fun, and even though I finished it a couple of days ago, I will definitely be playing it again. This game doesn't have the stupid "two guns at a time" restriction, or the lack of saved games that seem to be common in games these days. It has checkpoints AND quick saves, much like the Half-Life series. And unlike most FPS games, the sword is actually a useful weapon, rather than just being something you only use if you run out of ammo.

While this game is different from the original Shadow Warrior, there are some similarities, and some passing references to the original, some of them hidden in secret areas. Along the way, you pick up money, karma points, and ki crystals, which you can use to upgrade your weapons and abilities. There are special moves you can learn, which I was a little unsure about at first, because things like that usually make a game a little too complicated for my taste, but they kept those fairly simple.

The story line, while a little hard to follow at first, kept me interested. The game has 17 chapters, and most of them are pretty long. Early in the story, you pick up a demon sidekick, and the interaction between the two kept me laughing. The political incorrectness that was in the original is not present in this version, but there is a lot more violence and bad language. I had to chuckle when my character dropped an F-bomb after taking a huge amount of damage. Unlike a lot of the recent games, it isn't ridiculously difficult even on the easiest setting. In fact, the easiest setting was too easy, and I ended up restarting and playing on "normal" difficulty. That was about right for me. It didn't make it too easy, but also not too hard to make it frustrating, except when I came up against some of the tougher enemies.
  46. Oct 16, 2013
    Shadow Warrior is a great combination of classic and modern gameplay elements. It's got fast-paced action and doesn't hold your hand along the way. Expect battles with demons to be quite brutal!
  47. Oct 14, 2013
    This is the best slashing/shooting game ive ever played, i never get tired of it.
    i love the jokes of Hoji and the story is amazing.
    it's a must buy game.
    shadow Warrior is my favorite game of 2013!!!
    sorry for bad English.
  48. Oct 18, 2013
    Finished Today.
    It's a very good experience for old school players.
    17 chapters of Single Player, in an era where Call Of Duty (From Call Of Duty 2) set a poor standard of longevity.
    The gameplay is caothic, like good old school games... yes it's a rail game but doesn't matter, it's an amazing jump in the past, where blood, bullets and enemies are everywhere.
    Graphics it's not
    excellent in all the game, but there are some location that are full of details (like the caves).
    The sound part of the game reach the top, with a full set of good samples.
    Musics are epic (especially the opening Theme).
    Amazing Reboot...
  49. Mar 2, 2014
    The most fun I have had with a game in a long time, it's a perfect follow up to Hard Reset.
    But where Hard Reset was over a little too quickly, this game has a lot more length to it with some really nice looking levels in a range of varied locations. The mix of sword and guns also works better than expected, with the sword being especially satisfying to use, although some of the weapons
    can feel a little weak sometimes and it would have been nice to have a little more enemy variety.
    But if you prefer your FPS games the old way then you will love this game, levels actually require exploring as opposed to walking from point A to B and the action is constant - no cut scenes every 2 minutes pulling you out of the action but at the same time you get some of the more modern conveniences like weapon upgrades and skill points to spend.
  50. Jan 10, 2014
    Awesome game! seriously The great fun of the 90' is back, but with modern graphics. Now, don't expect a story that will addict you, or sophisticated level design. This is an old schooler, so what's you get is humor, tongue in cheek, many tributes to old games (including the original Shadow Warrior), and tons of simple great fun... and that's what's important. The only disappointment from this game, is that the developer didn't also took DN3D from 3D realms. Now we can only imagine what that game could have look like. Expand
  51. Mar 20, 2014
    Absolutely lovely FPS with a classic flavour. If you like classic shooters like the original Shadow warrior you won't be disappointed. The only thing I didn't like as the rest of game are the boss battles. I felt they didn't had enough feedback to feel satisfying as the rest of the experience. Still, you will love the wonderful intense and strategic battles where you can mix your arsenal. Lo-wang and Oji will make you laugh various times, and finally the game is long enough to justify the time invested. Looking forward for more from the creators. Very recommended. Expand
  52. Jul 13, 2014
    Imagine this.. You shoot both arms of a damned, ninja star throwing, ugly ass demon, with your six(eight) shooter. It starts to tremble away. You chase that ugly scumbag down. Then you make a quick upwards slice with your Katana, the upper torso then gets seperated from the rest of body, and as the head passes by the barrel of you six(eight)shooter, YOU BLOW IT CLEAN OFF.... MANLY AS HELL... Expand
  53. Jul 12, 2014
    General Overview: If you hated Borderlands or Borderlands 2 because of its off color humor you will hate Shadow Warrior as the humor is beyond Borderlands - but if you can tolerate or even enjoy slightly immature and grin and bear it humor, then this game is a great one to play. Well written dialogue, a decent story, solid shooting, well done sound, incredible graphics and smooth game play make this a shooter that is worthy of the Shadow Warrior name as a reboot and if you like shooters this is one you should pick up.

TL;DNR: 8.5: A humorous over the top shooter, tons of loot, hidden secrets, decent story, great action and solid game play with beautiful graphics make this a shooter for those with a sense of humor and desire for lots of combat. Sound is great, soundtrack is fitting and there is never a dull moment.

Technology/engine: 9: super smooth execution although a number of loading screens that are placed in such a way as to not be annoying and keeps the graphical fidelity high and controls responsive.

AI: 8: Serviceable but a bit predictable but when the individual AIs of the mobs get mixed it gets intense and is enjoyable.

Graphics: 10: Gorgeous sets, great character models, wonderful animations, great cut scenes and great use of 2D cut scenes for memories. Flying Hog deserves high marks for the graphics used in this game.

Sound: 8: Sound effects are well done but occasional source to reception issues can be found in the game that prevent you from spotting the source at a longer distance. Otherwise its a solid ambient soundscape that creates immersion and adds to the game.

Soundtrack: 9: Great music throughout, I especially liked the unnerving heavy metal on the appearance of the black rabbit - one of the funniest and weirdly frightening moments that was totally unexpected in the game.

Voice acting: 9: Solid cheesy delivery and poignant when needed or appropriate.

Crafting: N/A

Customization: 9: Customization includes various powers, skills and weapon customization all of which are rewarding and make a difference in the game.

Game play systems: 9: Really well mixed variety of weapons and abilities and the game scales with a difficulty spike if you are just ripping through. A number of the fights almost feel unfair until you find a technique to deal with the situation and the tools are always there.

Controls: 8: Slightly awkward controls that are occasionally unresponsive or do something other than what was intended - ie D-D-RMB is supposed to heal you but will occasionally perform the RMB function of the weapon - which can kill you of course. Perhaps when it comes out for consoles it will function better (although I hate to play shooters on console - prefer mouse and keyboard). Other than that it functions well.

Story: 9: I was surprised at the quality of the story, the great use of humor and the still poignant tale that is weaved into over the top violence and silliness that really, somehow, works well.

Multiplayer: N/A
  54. Jun 13, 2014
    This game is extremely good ,however this is not your typical fps. It leans more towards rewarding exploration so if you do not want to explore and find all the money and secrets...TURN AWAY because you will not last long. Weapons that are not the katana are weak at first but once you get upgrades then you will be able to use the weapons more frequently. Also don't make your rig look more powerful than it is because if you run this game on too high of settings you will get extreme frame drop issues. Not so difficult of a game , ALSO if you treat this game like COD then you are going to die multiple times. It is a very good game but compared to painkiller or Serious Sam this is the inferior game, but for the price on steam it is worth the money. Enjoy and also ignore the negative scores because the issues that are brought up are by: the game runs bad (thinking their computer is better than it is) , Hard difficultly (playing it like its cod on a difficulty for players who have beaten it many times) or the simple fact that they say its gets boring and the guns are not that good which these are both true in the first hour. so don't let that turn you away. I suggest playing the demo to see if its your cup of tea or not because everyone's entitled to their own opinion Unless the opinion is illogical. thought I would clear up these scores. ENJOY! Expand
  55. Jul 29, 2014
    Remember playing the original when I was younger and didn't recall much but a fun time. Saw this up during a steam sale, and decided after loving DD's games, I would give it a chance and do not regret it.
    It's over the top freshman humor, with good mechanics both melee and shooting, slightly better than most callbacks to the old shoot em up/level up/shoot em up again fps games of ole.

As a full price PC game maybe not, but on sale or at a deal, it is most def a worthy pick to your collection.
    Hang out With Wang out, and you can't go wrong!

1. Mar 11, 2014
    Shadow Warrior is highly 90’s in a very good way. Pace is fast, health kits are in, guns are powerful, action is great, puns are bad and there is lot of flying blood and boy parts. The letdown is level design: they are too bland. [Nov 2013]
  2. Dec 5, 2013
    A successful revival of the mid-90's shooter. Shadow Warrior's combat is fun despite an irritating sense of humor. [Jan 2014, p.66]
  3. Nov 25, 2013
    No matter which way you slice its solid shooting mechanics, it still doesn't feel like Shadow Warrior. [December 2013, p.90]