8.1

1. Sep 26, 2013
    Good times and a cheap price. Fun gun/swordplay and fast paced action with exploration elements. Upgradeable weapons and sliceable enemies. Looking forward to more games from this developer.
  2. Sep 27, 2013
    Some of the 'professional' reviewers are missing the point of this game. I see folks complaining about getting lost in complex levels, having to find keys to advance, needing secrets to upgrade Lo Wang. This is what Call of Doodie has done to a generation of gamers... put simply, this is the best FPS to come along in a while and it's apologetically hard and old school. Thank you, Flying Wild Hog.
  3. Sep 26, 2013
    Why do reviewers never give credit to these superbly smooth and well designed FPS games?! The gameplay... is so damn satisfying.

If you like games like Painkiller and Serious Sam, then definitely give this a go.
  4. Sep 27, 2013
    Quite honestly one of the best shooters to come out this generation, which is something coming from the mouth of a fan of Battlefield 3 or other "good" military shooters. Because, hey, Shadow Warrior has AIMING DOWN THE SIGHT mechanics for those who prefer precision shooting (which is a mechanic I love as well, but I mix it up in Shadow Warrior with the sword and firing like some sort ofQuite honestly one of the best shooters to come out this generation, which is something coming from the mouth of a fan of Battlefield 3 or other "good" military shooters. Because, hey, Shadow Warrior has AIMING DOWN THE SIGHT mechanics for those who prefer precision shooting (which is a mechanic I love as well, but I mix it up in Shadow Warrior with the sword and firing like some sort of insane Rambo). So don't despair, Call of Duty fans!

But, I cannot deny my love affair with nostalgic shooters that I played when I was a kid, including the recent Shadow Warrior Classic Redux that I made sure to finish before buying this amazing game! However, we can't forget about Doom or Duke Nukem 3D either! Shadow Warrior does EVERYTHING right, regardless of the supposed "level design" issues despite said levels being beautiful and wonderfully varied.

Here is why the game is good before I go off on further tangents:

Insane levels of depth with weapon upgrades, skills, and powers, with each requiring their own resource to upgrade that you can find in the world.

Insane value, as the game is lengthy as Lo Wang's um, wang, with about 17 levels/chapters.

Explosive, bloody, and gorey combat that is too much fun whether or not you prefer using magic, sword, or other weapons like the PDW (SMG) which is my favorite weapon!

Fantastic humor, with Lo Wang's classic one liners and quotable quotes.

Insanely good visuals. Numerous visual options to help balance beauty and performance, including the extremely underused TRIPLE BUFFERING option. Field of view slider included for even the most discerning first person shooter fan!

Secret areas. Did you think they would leave out fun to find secret areas, that are actually TOUGH to find? Well, think again!

Now, that is my review of Shadow Warrior. Is this game perfect? NO, but it is as close to perfection that we will get in a shooter these days!
  5. Sep 27, 2013
    A great way to describe this game, very simply, is with the word 'fun'. It's a blast. Gorgeous visuals, especially the lighting effects and a nice variety in level appearance. Great variety of weapons, which look and feel good to use. Plenty of upgrades, giving you lots of freedom to choose to how you want to power up. Lots of content too 17 levels and the levels aren't that short. TonsA great way to describe this game, very simply, is with the word 'fun'. It's a blast. Gorgeous visuals, especially the lighting effects and a nice variety in level appearance. Great variety of weapons, which look and feel good to use. Plenty of upgrades, giving you lots of freedom to choose to how you want to power up. Lots of content too 17 levels and the levels aren't that short. Tons of secrets and amusing hidden easter eggs to find. Very nostalgic but at the same time very modern, for example the fact that nearly every little object in the game is destructible. The way the story is presented is a huge improvement on how it was handled in this dev's previous game, Hard Reset, and it's great fun to hear the banter between Lo Wang and the demon Hoji. Great game overall! Bravo Flying WIld Hog! Expand
  6. Sep 27, 2013
    I'm actually pleasantly surprised by this game. It has really nice combat, there's a great atmosphere, the levels are built quite well and it's not expensive at all. The only thing that should be improved is the framerate. It runs quite well, but there are games that do look better and are less demanding. Still, it's a great old-school game and I can only hope more games like this wil be made.
  7. Oct 2, 2013
    As a painkiller(and such) fan i expected this to be a little bit more. Sure its nostalgic and so on, but to me it feels more like a console game than a pc game. Also it is looking very very low budget. Its fun for a while, but its a very simple game, leveldesign arent even worth mentioning. Ill have to give it a 4, for those 1-2 hours u actually play it before uninstalling.
  8. Dec 17, 2013
    I can not believe that this game came out. This is the best oldschool game. Lately it has become fashionable to make "scraps" from the games. This is one of the rare, full games over the last 5 years.
  9. Nov 9, 2013
    Another surprise for me this year. After Gunslinger reinventing wild west shooters, now this game introduces the best melee combat in a shooter.

You will not regret playing this game, and you can easily clock in 20hours. Lots of funny moments, comments, good graphics but not heavy on your machine, good music, and very very very satisfying gameplay.
  10. Oct 8, 2013
    I can't understand why the "professional" critics rate this game so low. This game is way better than the overrated COD games and probably the best fps game this year.
  11. Nov 16, 2013
    Well, that was a good game.

Classic, pure fun gameplay, with hardcore elements. Long story driven campaign with LONG, and I mean LONG levels. Lots of secrets, easter eggs and humor. And how do I love to listen to those stupid dialogs. Laughed my back off many times. Weapons feel powerful(finally!), swordplay is juicy and badass and there is (anti?)hero to save the....day? Very
    Well, that was a good game.

Very catchy soundtrack, crysis-like visuals(although demanding) and good performance.

There is one bad thing about this game. It has to end.
    Flying Wild Hog made Game Of the Year. Thank you.
  12. Oct 11, 2013
    Shadow Warrior reboot is an act of love. An act of love for videogamers. Because this stylish FPS is totally what you want to play. Secret Zones?They are in. Gorgeous combat?In. This is also the best melee combat you can find in a first person shooter, Katana is the best weapon ever implemented in a videogame. Some journalist misses the point, playing this game in normal mode. Dash toShadow Warrior reboot is an act of love. An act of love for videogamers. Because this stylish FPS is totally what you want to play. Secret Zones?They are in. Gorgeous combat?In. This is also the best melee combat you can find in a first person shooter, Katana is the best weapon ever implemented in a videogame. Some journalist misses the point, playing this game in normal mode. Dash to avoid attack, counter attack parry, a lot of weapon that you can use at any time, not dumb limit from the modern shooter...This is dream. Expand
  13. Oct 8, 2013
    The weeabo son of painkiller and unreal, the combat is a blend between unreals dancing and painkillers horde control, one of the guns is a stake gun expy and another is flat out the tri-barreled rocket launcher from ut2004. although the guns are great the sword is the heart of the game, everything about the game is about the sword, the combat, the story, you even open magically doors withThe weeabo son of painkiller and unreal, the combat is a blend between unreals dancing and painkillers horde control, one of the guns is a stake gun expy and another is flat out the tri-barreled rocket launcher from ut2004. although the guns are great the sword is the heart of the game, everything about the game is about the sword, the combat, the story, you even open magically doors with it. although the combat is great shadow warrior is very long and i could see why a lot of people could find it repetitive. graphically the game is mediocre but artistically the game is below nothing shadow warrior is beautiful, tear jerkingly beautiful.

anyway that's shadow warrior go buy it
  14. Dec 9, 2013
    Fantastic game. Throws you back to the way FPS used to be.

Story? Yeah, it's there, but it's not the key point, you can read a book if you want story. But the chaos, the utter chaos destruction and visual prowess this game offers within the story it does have, is utterly phenomenal. This game absolutely does not hold your hand. Here is the level, you have to achieve this, go, and
    Fantastic game. Throws you back to the way FPS used to be.

This game absolutely does not hold your hand. Here is the level, you have to achieve this, go, and really that's it, which is why I love it.

Absolutely brilliant, excited to hear it's coming to console too.
  15. Dec 19, 2013
    In some cases, the content detracts enough from an underwhelming element in a game... This is that kind of game... Sure, the environments are a little repetitive, but I'm having far too much fun to care.
    Cheer up try-hards, it's a game not a job.
  16. Jan 12, 2014
    Think I paid about £7 for this on GOG. For that I got possibly the best FPS I played all year. Forget AAA blockbusters this budget title was top class. The shooting is top notch, the melee combat is excellent and the campaign is a nice length with a decent enough story to boot. The game itself plays a bit like a more varied version of Serious Sam but with an RPG like skill tree and specialThink I paid about £7 for this on GOG. For that I got possibly the best FPS I played all year. Forget AAA blockbusters this budget title was top class. The shooting is top notch, the melee combat is excellent and the campaign is a nice length with a decent enough story to boot. The game itself plays a bit like a more varied version of Serious Sam but with an RPG like skill tree and special moves. I never played the original but I really enjoyed this. Well done FWH! Expand
  17. Oct 11, 2013
    Very descent game. I didn't like the way you perform special attacks and last third was repetitive. Convoluted setting didn't do much good for me either, though character interaction was interesting. But overall gameplay is a persistent fun. If you like proper, long PC shooters give this a go.
  18. Nov 5, 2013
    This game is great, a REAL old school shooter (what Duke Nukem Forever should have been). I think sword combat has never been so fun before in a FPS game and I can't think of any important drawback. without entering in details (for example: many times, on melee combat, you die because the enviroment is "excessively explosive" so to say.).
    To stay short, highly recomended!
  19. Nov 3, 2013
    Lo Wang is hilarious and I really like the combo system in place for doing special moves while your sword is out. The storyline is cheesy but it fits the personality of Wang perfectly, especially when you find out after listening to "The Touch" and joining in as well that you are to offer money for a blade.
  20. Oct 21, 2013
    Awesome remake from Polish Studio Fying WIld Hog. Bloody, funny FPS with great Katana mechanics. If you think, that DOOM's clones are dead, then you are wrong. Game is cheap, and worth every zł/$/euro etc.
  21. Oct 22, 2013
    best shooter gameplay in years very funny conversation make this easily my favorit fps of 2013. only misses the 10/10 because there is no multiplayer.
  22. Nov 6, 2013
    Fantastic game! Brings Oldschool back to life with new graphics and some of the best sword play ever in any game.. The story even gets good at later lvls.. And don't listen to the ''reviewers'' the fact that you need secrets to upgrade your character and keys to progress is not a bad thing.. this is not a CoD audience they don't need their hand held the entire time.. FANTASTIC GAME
  23. Dec 23, 2013
    I played this masterpiece of a game with no knowledge of either the original or hard reset, and when i actually started playing i fell in love with the game by the first level. The combat is as satisfying as it is responsive and the katana's hit detection is probably the best i've ever seen in a video game (however special abilities are difficult to use at first), there is no weapon thatI played this masterpiece of a game with no knowledge of either the original or hard reset, and when i actually started playing i fell in love with the game by the first level. The combat is as satisfying as it is responsive and the katana's hit detection is probably the best i've ever seen in a video game (however special abilities are difficult to use at first), there is no weapon that you feel you won't like simply due to the fact that all of them have niche roles. The plot is interesting as well making mindless killing actually seem like your doing something meaningful however i won't talk too much about it due to spoilers. The game also has a surprisingly good sense of (especially considering the fact that the main character's name is essentially a penis joke). Lastly the world is absolutely beautiful (albeit it's no columbia from bioshock infinite)

Dispite all of that however, the game has a few game breaking AI glitches (like enemies hiding behind cover forever in a place the player can't reach) that make it impossible to advance due to the "kill everything to advance" system that only works if it's well placed in games like castle crashers. Also as i mentoned earlier the abilities are hard to use at first due to minor control issues and the exploration can get pretty boring when you just want to kill everything in sight but there's nothing for you to kill. Another thing to note is the unbareable load times, it's worse than dead rising 2 in this respect.

Overall i'd reccomend this game to anyone who likes good stories, mindless killing, non-serious games and good humour but can tolerate a few downsides that prevent this game being perfect
  24. Jul 13, 2014
    Imagine this..

You shoot both arms of a damned, ninja star throwing, ugly ass demon, with your six(eight) shooter. It starts to tremble away. You chase that ugly scumbag down. Then you make a quick upwards slice with your Katana, the upper torso then gets seperated from the rest of body, and as the head passes by the barrel of you six(eight)shooter, YOU BLOW IT CLEAN OFF.... MANLY
    Imagine this..

It starts to tremble away. You chase that ugly scumbag down.

MANLY AS HELL...
  25. Dec 12, 2013
    Good humor, over the top gore, fast paced action, hordes of enemies and a responsiveness that only PC focused games can deliver. It's an old school shooter with modern touches and one of the best FPSs I've played in a while. If it comes up during a sale again, deffinately get it!

If your NOT used to FPS games from the era Shadow Warrior originaly came from (90s), then you will probably find this game extremely hard. The AI is relentless and unlike most modern games, no part of it is easy on the harder difficulty settings.
  26. Apr 22, 2014
    While I slightly despise the recent trend of rebooting old franchises with their original names while often not being half as satisfying as the original this one obviously has been done very well. The joy, the action, the massacre is actually comparable to the 1997 Shadow Warrior. The game is fast, smooth and feels perfect. Some great weapon and character upgrades (and also some lessWhile I slightly despise the recent trend of rebooting old franchises with their original names while often not being half as satisfying as the original this one obviously has been done very well. The joy, the action, the massacre is actually comparable to the 1997 Shadow Warrior. The game is fast, smooth and feels perfect. Some great weapon and character upgrades (and also some less interesting), good looking graphics and fun character models. So the following nitpicks are far from game-breaking, but noticeable.

When talking about fast paced FPS games from the 90's I don't care about cut-scenes and storylines in general (unless they would be very original and compelling, or really fun) and I'm not exactly in need of a snarky companion while killing bad guys. Both story and characters have been well executed and everything is fully skippable if you so desire, but the story itself hasn't got a lot of depth or originality to offer, really. Still, I guess you could have a much much worse companion than Hoji.
    The biggest con though would be the level design, when compared to the original. It's much more linear and not as huge and maze-like, and consequently there's not as much sense of freedom. I want to be able to backtrack from start to the end and back again, but the game explicitly does not let you do so. Also there are tons of locations where it clearly looks like you can go somewhere, except for those infamous invisible walls. There's still quite some explorational fun to be had, just not as complicated or with as much freedom as the original.

But man, does the game look good and man are that sword and its powers satisfying to use. Nothing of the points of criticism takes away any of that and neither did it stop me from grinning like a maniac most of the time. This is by far one of my favorite modern FPS games and I would heartily recommend it to anyone and everyone. As long as they enjoy flying limbs and tons of blood.
  27. May 31, 2014
    There's no denying that the swordplay is good fun, though I wish the controls could be better. Having to double tap keys in the midst of combat does feel kinda clumsy and there are more intuitive ways of implementing fancy sword attacks. Boss fights were also a bit underwhelming. Using hit and run tactics to slowly destroy weak spots across the span of 10 minutes or more makes for a fightThere's no denying that the swordplay is good fun, though I wish the controls could be better. Having to double tap keys in the midst of combat does feel kinda clumsy and there are more intuitive ways of implementing fancy sword attacks. Boss fights were also a bit underwhelming. Using hit and run tactics to slowly destroy weak spots across the span of 10 minutes or more makes for a fight that's not so much difficult, but rather grindy and tedious. The level design and enemy encounters also start to feel a bit formulaic halfway through the game in my opinion. The story was pretty solid though (even if the ending wasn't that sad because it was overshadowed by all the penis jokes), and the graphics and sound design is well done for the most part. It's a nice game I suppose if you're looking for some fast paced bloody violence, It just lacks a little variety and needs some more polish. Expand
  28. Feb 8, 2014
    The last few games I bought turned out to be huge disappointments, so I was a bit skeptical when this one first came out. But I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. I kept playing this one because it was actually fun, and even though I finished it a couple of days ago, I will definitely be playing it again. This game doesn't have the stupid "two guns at a time" restriction, or theThe last few games I bought turned out to be huge disappointments, so I was a bit skeptical when this one first came out. But I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. I kept playing this one because it was actually fun, and even though I finished it a couple of days ago, I will definitely be playing it again. This game doesn't have the stupid "two guns at a time" restriction, or the lack of saved games that seem to be common in games these days. It has checkpoints AND quick saves, much like the Half-Life series. And unlike most FPS games, the sword is actually a useful weapon, rather than just being something you only use if you run out of ammo.

While this game is different from the original Shadow Warrior, there are some similarities, and some passing references to the original, some of them hidden in secret areas. Along the way, you pick up money, karma points, and ki crystals, which you can use to upgrade your weapons and abilities. There are special moves you can learn, which I was a little unsure about at first, because things like that usually make a game a little too complicated for my taste, but they kept those fairly simple.

The story line, while a little hard to follow at first, kept me interested. The game has 17 chapters, and most of them are pretty long. Early in the story, you pick up a demon sidekick, and the interaction between the two kept me laughing. The political incorrectness that was in the original is not present in this version, but there is a lot more violence and bad language. I had to chuckle when my character dropped an F-bomb after taking a huge amount of damage. Unlike a lot of the recent games, it isn't ridiculously difficult even on the easiest setting. In fact, the easiest setting was too easy, and I ended up restarting and playing on "normal" difficulty. That was about right for me. It didn't make it too easy, but also not too hard to make it frustrating, except when I came up against some of the tougher enemies.
  29. Jan 5, 2014
    It's been a "wang" time since FPS' didn't try to take theirselves too seriously, were difficult, and most of all, fun. Duke Nukem Forever, for many, was a disappointment in that many hoped that it would stay the course of what FPS used to entail: gratuitous, unapologetic, fast paced gore and action. But for the new reboot of Shadow Warrior, being the more "eastern" cousin of Duke NukemIt's been a "wang" time since FPS' didn't try to take theirselves too seriously, were difficult, and most of all, fun. Duke Nukem Forever, for many, was a disappointment in that many hoped that it would stay the course of what FPS used to entail: gratuitous, unapologetic, fast paced gore and action. But for the new reboot of Shadow Warrior, being the more "eastern" cousin of Duke Nukem truly shines in that it redeems what makes FPS great with all the credentials of it being made in 2013. The graphics are completely stunning, not only for the purpose of the aesthetic but even beautifully done with the gore and action too. Melee combat, for FPS, usually always tied into being used as a last ditch effort. But not here. The Katana will probably be the most handy weapon out there, and it's the first one you get! There are a lot of combinations to the weapon that can apply heavy damage and kills, but the combos are frustratingly set on the movement keys and require some wonky movement in order to use them. Second, while the firepower can, at times work for the most part, seem quite underpowered when compared to the Katana. But even then, every gun you use has a satisfying punch to it, and the shotgun is especially of that case when you can unload every shell point blank into quivering demons. As many of the professional critics state, level design is somewhat weak as it usually involved complex corridors followed by arena-sized areas, rinse and repeat. Sometimes the level design can shine between both context and combat orientation, like "You Should See the Other Guy", or generally the chapters involving the shipyard. The Demons, or the general enemies are at the most times competent but usually suffer from clipping errors with items around them, so they can often try to chase you from a corner. In terms of what they can do is another story, as they can evolve and be enraged to greater bring strain to the player. The story is fairly decent and potent for a game that involves gratuitous violence, with a likable chemistry between the main character, Lo Wang, and his demon pal, Hoji, webbing the downfall of the shadow realm and how the sword and Hoji are tied to it. Also, for a FPS, we also get to see a lot of character building too with Lo Wang, from being a sneery, egotistic japanese 'american', to being a full blown, sympathetic professional with the wisdom and charisma of a true master. I didn't really set my sights on Flying Wild Hog before, but with their continued devotion to bring the S back in FPS really makes me feel they are the Id or 3DRealms of our generation. Overall, this game will melt your brain with fun, being fun loving and never tiring to blow demons back to kingdom come, keeping the tradition of secrets and shadow warrior's quotable one-liners, but best of all, making what is FPS, FPS! Expand
  30. Nov 9, 2013
    Now here is a guilty pleasure.
    At first, Shadow warrior appears like a retarded, borderline racist remake of a retarded, plain racist game from the 90's. The plot at first appears contrived and simplistic but as you play it, you realise there's something far more deep in there.
    Now here is a guilty pleasure.
    The game appears to have that cringe-worthy western ability of confusing Chinese and Japanese culture, but as you progress through the game, wading through Wang and Confucius jokes, you start to get the feeling it is all intentional and very tongue in cheek.
    It is all very frivolous and funny but in the background, a very sad and tragic story is revealed. Very, very well done.
    You get a few guns and weapons but the real star of the game is your katana. This has to be some of the best sword play mechanics I have ever come across. Dare I even say it holds the game together.
    The enemies don't change much and the basic of the game remain the same throughout, but the levels are nicely designed and it does allows for some exploration.
    I really felt that by the end, the game had gone a few chapters too long, but it was certainly a very fun ride.
    A very, very good budget title. If you enjoy sword fights, get this one.

1. Mar 11, 2014
    Shadow Warrior is highly 90’s in a very good way. Pace is fast, health kits are in, guns are powerful, action is great, puns are bad and there is lot of flying blood and boy parts. The letdown is level design: they are too bland. [Nov 2013]
  2. Dec 5, 2013
    A successful revival of the mid-90's shooter. Shadow Warrior's combat is fun despite an irritating sense of humor. [Jan 2014, p.66]
  3. Nov 25, 2013
    No matter which way you slice its solid shooting mechanics, it still doesn't feel like Shadow Warrior. [December 2013, p.90]