8.0

1. Sep 26, 2013
    Good times and a cheap price. Fun gun/swordplay and fast paced action with exploration elements. Upgradeable weapons and sliceable enemies. Looking forward to more games from this developer.
  2. Sep 27, 2013
    Some of the 'professional' reviewers are missing the point of this game. I see folks complaining about getting lost in complex levels, having to find keys to advance, needing secrets to upgrade Lo Wang. This is what Call of Doodie has done to a generation of gamers... put simply, this is the best FPS to come along in a while and it's apologetically hard and old school. Thank you, Flying Wild Hog.
  3. Sep 26, 2013
    Why do reviewers never give credit to these superbly smooth and well designed FPS games?! The gameplay... is so damn satisfying.

If you like games like Painkiller and Serious Sam, then definitely give this a go.
  4. Sep 27, 2013
    A great way to describe this game, very simply, is with the word 'fun'. It's a blast. Gorgeous visuals, especially the lighting effects and a nice variety in level appearance. Great variety of weapons, which look and feel good to use. Plenty of upgrades, giving you lots of freedom to choose to how you want to power up. Lots of content too 17 levels and the levels aren't that short. Tons of secrets and amusing hidden easter eggs to find. Very nostalgic but at the same time very modern, for example the fact that nearly every little object in the game is destructible. The way the story is presented is a huge improvement on how it was handled in this dev's previous game, Hard Reset, and it's great fun to hear the banter between Lo Wang and the demon Hoji. Great game overall! Bravo Flying WIld Hog! Expand
  5. Sep 27, 2013
    I'm actually pleasantly surprised by this game. It has really nice combat, there's a great atmosphere, the levels are built quite well and it's not expensive at all. The only thing that should be improved is the framerate. It runs quite well, but there are games that do look better and are less demanding. Still, it's a great old-school game and I can only hope more games like this wil be made.
  6. Sep 27, 2013
    Quite honestly one of the best shooters to come out this generation, which is something coming from the mouth of a fan of Battlefield 3 or other "good" military shooters. Because, hey, Shadow Warrior has AIMING DOWN THE SIGHT mechanics for those who prefer precision shooting (which is a mechanic I love as well, but I mix it up in Shadow Warrior with the sword and firing like some sort of insane Rambo). So don't despair, Call of Duty fans!

But, I cannot deny my love affair with nostalgic shooters that I played when I was a kid, including the recent Shadow Warrior Classic Redux that I made sure to finish before buying this amazing game! However, we can't forget about Doom or Duke Nukem 3D either! Shadow Warrior does EVERYTHING right, regardless of the supposed "level design" issues despite said levels being beautiful and wonderfully varied.

Here is why the game is good before I go off on further tangents:

Insane levels of depth with weapon upgrades, skills, and powers, with each requiring their own resource to upgrade that you can find in the world.

Insane value, as the game is lengthy as Lo Wang's um, wang, with about 17 levels/chapters.

Explosive, bloody, and gorey combat that is too much fun whether or not you prefer using magic, sword, or other weapons like the PDW (SMG) which is my favorite weapon!

Fantastic humor, with Lo Wang's classic one liners and quotable quotes.

Insanely good visuals. Numerous visual options to help balance beauty and performance, including the extremely underused TRIPLE BUFFERING option. Field of view slider included for even the most discerning first person shooter fan!

Secret areas. Did you think they would leave out fun to find secret areas, that are actually TOUGH to find? Well, think again!

Now, that is my review of Shadow Warrior. Is this game perfect? NO, but it is as close to perfection that we will get in a shooter these days!
  7. Sep 30, 2013
    Being a long time fan of Painkiller and the likes (i.e. more difficult FPS) this game is now the #1 FPS I have ever played. A lot of fun, a variety of scenery with a very much viable sword play and non-hitscan enemies I can't do anything but recommend this title to anyone looking a different (a bit more old-school with new-school elements thrown in it) spin on FPS.

At this price, you
    can't go wrong. I've spent 17 hours the first day it got released. That alone has made it worthwhile and knowing we can probably expect some free DLCs on top of that (as was the case with Hard Reset) at 20€ (discount coupon, which you can get easily on SPUF) this game is a steal.

What an awesome homage to gore, violence and the entire genre, giving nods left and right to culture of the 90s and best games from the past.
  8. Sep 27, 2013
    Shadow Warrior You get what you expected

Blood? Yes! Stupid Humor? Yes! Feels a bit like Kill Bill the Movie when you hunt those enemies with the Katana Sword.

After more than 10 Years, we´re getting the reboot of the Classic Shadow Warrior. Awesome! I was expecting this like Duke Nukem Forever back then. Except that Shadow Warrior 2013 did live up to my expectations, unlike DN
    Forever.

Gameplay feels very smooth, instantly get the SW feeling back, graphics looking great, enemys and the environment are "destructible", secrets can be found just like in SW1997 (behind waterfalls) many weapons upgrades

This reboot is exactly what you expect from an Classic SW1997. If you care more about "fun gameplay" then an interesting gamestory then SW.exe will satisfy you. I woudn´t buy it directly from Steam though, better prices are to be found elsewhere.
  9. Oct 2, 2013
    As a painkiller(and such) fan i expected this to be a little bit more. Sure its nostalgic and so on, but to me it feels more like a console game than a pc game. Also it is looking very very low budget. Its fun for a while, but its a very simple game, leveldesign arent even worth mentioning. Ill have to give it a 4, for those 1-2 hours u actually play it before uninstalling.
  10. Sep 29, 2013
    The game has the worst level-layout in any game I've ever seen, the entire game is just a series of arenas you transition from with some treasure chests inbetween while fighting the same 5 enemies throughout the entire game. It's incredibly boring and repetitive. The weapons are extremely lack-luster and very weak, the sword is a wrecking ball of self-healing immortality even on the hardest setting, there was clearly no quality assurance involved in this game's production, the bloom is blinding, I had to actually put on sunglasses when I first arrived at the snow-level to continue playing. There are invisible walls everywhere and you can get stuck on teh tiniest doodads while circle-strafing enemies, which is the only thing you will ever do in this game. The boss fights are the most boring and uninspired boss fights in recent history, Really, if you want to continue to hold the shadow warrior franchise in high regard, don't buy this game. however if you're someone who can play cell-phone games for hours and hours on end without ever growing bored then this might be a game for you. Like-wise, if you enjoy stimulating games that can provide a challenge and mix things up so you don't get bored doing the same thing forever, then pass this game by. Expand
  11. Sep 30, 2013
    First off I wanna say this. If youre a fan of COD and the likes this is not a game for you I expect.
    Cause this game requires some actual skill and exploration it is a socalled Old school shooter. Anyway if youre looking for glorious First person sword combat its here. If youre looking for amazing guns its here. If youre looking to split demons in half or chop limbs off its here.

And
    on top of that this game has an amazing sense of humour, I was literally laughing my ass off when I saw the intro scene. And as is usual with them(and almost any polish dev) well probably get some free DLC.

Please Give this game a try, the reviewers apparently want another COD knock-off, but this is SOOOO much better. If youre still not convinced please watch totalbiscuits preview on the game.
  12. Sep 27, 2013
    A decidedly linear romp much in the modern style of FPS, despite all claims of it being "oldschool". There are secrets hidden off the beaten path between big combat pieces, but no significant exploration or freedom of movement otherwise. It plays and progresses much like Hard Reset did, even though there's now a focus on melee combat (or at least serious attempts to coax the player into using the sword), with enemies that are suitably bullet-spongey, allowing them to clear the distance to the player and last long enough for the sword to become an asset. There's a skill tree system in play, and upgrades can be purchased both in the form of character skills (such as new melee attacks or more efficient use of medikits) and improvements for your firearms. Lo Wang's return to form does not do anything wrong, yet also nothing remarkably well. Shadow Warrior is a competent enough reboot, if not as good as its inspiration. Expand
  13. Oct 1, 2013
    This is a straight up fun old-school action game with no apologies and excuses. It's good gory fun with occasionally witty dialogue (or snippets, the fortune cookies are a lark). But don't expect much a plot or smart dialogue or moral choices of any sort.
  14. Sep 27, 2013
    Shadow Warrior was an attempted reboot at the 1997 classic. Even though it deviates pretty far from its roots, it still manages to keep the humor.

A gorefest in every sense of the word, Shadow Warrior puts you in the boots of a reimaged Lo Wang, a younger, if much snarkier swordsman. Lo Wang still delivers those one liners that will make you crack a grin or a gufaw, at least now he's
    figured out how to spread them out to not ruin their effectiveness.

Plenty of weapons are in the game, and not restricted to the two hold limit, but can be some really far flung ideas, a few even making a comeback from teh 1997 original. Though the weapons lack any real impressive power at start, once upgraded, they become a real beast in their own rights. However the weapon that really stands out in the game is the Katana. Swordplay has been made to be fun and engaging this time, the distance of the strikes, the feedback of impact, and the falling pieces of the enemies make it a rather surprisingly satisfying weapon.

Speaking of the enemies, they're plentiful, but a bit repetitive. You'll never be short of fodder to slaughter, but you'll be finding yourself moving room to room, alley to alley, house to house, dungeon to dungeon, fighting similar looking mobs of strengthening difficulty. This is one of the big detractors from the game as things can get a bit dull when you hack apart the same demon for the umpteenth time, but in that same mind, if you're in it just to go wild and hack n' slash to your hearts content, this game is perfect.

Areas are varied, and very well designed, if sometimes little maze-like, often having you lost, or making unncessary backtracking to find a key or something you may have missed. In that same light, though, secrets are back with a vengance, each chapter containing a hearty number of them that will have you searching every nook and cranny. That said, though, the areas feel more like arenas to fight in, rather than just streamed locales, but this doesn't neccessarily hurt the game, as it constrains the enemies as well so you can be sure the fight never gets dull, or that you're hunting for that one elusive enemy.

The writting and humor still manages to hit right where it matters, surprisingly, even for a slightly more serious reboot. Some of the shine from the old game is still there, but a lot of the nostalgia you might be looking for, if you played the original, is rather lacking, but looking past that, the story and the jokes still hits the target to keep a grin on your face as you play through.

While Shadow Warrior is not breaking any records or ground on gameplay, it definately focuses on what it wants to be a really fun game. Its emphasis on having fun, and keeping that steady roll going, is what makes it shine through all 17 chapters. Though a few might find the game slightly dulled by the constant repetitiveness, you may wanna play this game in short bursts. However, if you're in it for a good bit of wild combat and swordplay, step right up, grab a blade and go to town. Multiplayer is missing this time, the reason for it has made the game stand out, the developers instead focusing on a great single player experience.

Overall, Shadow Warrior isn't the perfect game or reboot, but it does deliver a tight fun, humorous, and entertaining package for someone who enjoys the First Person Shooter Genre of the 90s. It has a few detracting points, it does well to make up for it all in the long run.
  15. Oct 7, 2013
    Poor optimization, long loading time, only 6 different types of enemies, repetitive linear level, check points are far away from each other. Only 1 weapon, katana, is useful, other fire arms are all useless. You are going to play a combat FPS against 6 types of enemies until the end in a situation with frame per second fluctuating a lot.
  16. Sep 27, 2013
    This game is everything good about FPS games from the late 90s and early 2000s with welcome modern additions. Secrets galore, linear levels but plenty of exploration for those with the eye for it, gratuitous violence, cheesy one liners, skill trees, power trees, weapon upgrades, and move sets to unlock and master. There is so much variety with the skill and power upgrades that the game constantly surprises me with fun new ways to kill baddies. There's some story about a magic sword and demons but who cares? Kill everything in sight and scour every corner. Expand
  17. Sep 28, 2013
    Better than Bioshock Infinite. Yes, you heard right. Shadow Warrior is in every way better than Infinite except one: story. Admittedly, the latter is a bit weak, yet the length of the game as well as the awesome combat system more than make up for that. A couple of small bugs don't distract you from the experience. Every battle, every boss fight is satisfying. When slicing through a man, you get that personal feedback. Infinite? Meh. Goes off big bang and you don't get any feeling. Expand
  18. Sep 27, 2013
    Picture this: You are sitting in front of your computer monitor browsing the dozens and dozens of first-person-shooters that have come out over the last few years. You come to the dramatic realization that almost everything is brown, grim, and freaking boring...with very few truly enjoyable experiences to be had.

If you're a fan of old school, arcadey or arena style shooters, then you
    are out of luck. Sure, there's a Bulletstorm here...a Serious Sam there...but what else can tide you over?

Suddenly, out of the shadows comes Shadow Warrior: a pleasant surprise if ever there was one.

Shadow Warrior, quite frankly, is the most fun I've had with a shooter in a long time. Taking nods from Painkiller and The Darkness, Shadow Warrior comes to the table as an arena style shooter with a ton of charm and wonder behind it's combat. The guns are stylish (and you can hold more than 2 at one time...HOW ABOUT THAT?!) and the melee combat with the katana is like nothing else on the market when it comes to first person games. The combat is just fun, and without experiencing it for yourself the only word that describes it is "kinetic".

There is some first rate humor here, as well. Decent voice acting along with witty dialogue from our protagonist and his demonic sidekick give this game some great character. There's also a lot of fourth-wall breaking, and the game never takes itself seriously.

While the level design is mostly linear (and the game does recycle the same set pieces just a tad bit), there are branching paths to explore. You'll definitely want to explore them, too, as not only is it prudent for upgrading your gear...but there are also secrets and easter eggs absolutely everywhere...and some of them are incredibly hilarious with huge amounts of references to other games. If you're a nerd, and have been playing games since the 80s, then you'll get a kick out of some of the awesome stuff there is to find in Shadow Warrior.

Bottom line: Shadow Warrior deserves your time, your attention, and your cash.
  19. Sep 26, 2013
    This game was pretty fun but I found myself getting bored after a while. If you are looking for something to immerse yourself in, this is not for you. However, it is fun if you have some time to kill. Just dont expect to be playing it for very long.
  20. Sep 26, 2013
    There's no denying Shadow Warrior is 'FUN', but is it worth the asking price? I don't think so. If you're after a repetitive FPS which will make you laugh and embrace swordplay combat, look no further. Shadow Warrior is a nice game to dip in and out of for sure. I've just played two and a half hours straight, but the game began to lose it's appeal. If it had more gameplay variety and they built upon the combat, it could have been great instead of good. I'll go back to SW in a day or so to release some day to day stress. Enjoy. Expand
  21. Sep 27, 2013
    Pretends to be old school, get and is very funny. I think it's a good buy for the money and the hours of fun it offers. But keep your feet on the ground and realize that it is an unpretentious game should not be measured with a higher note than 6. Rate it with 9 is preposterous.
  22. Oct 2, 2013
    No optimization for quad-core (tri-core will have same performance as quad ones), no official SLI support. Potential FPS drop on some scenery due to lazy work on poor optimization. Game play is boring and linear, player still have to keep on finding keys in the year of 2013? Painkiller or Serious Sam will give you more fun than that.
  23. Sep 28, 2013
    This is not a bad game, but for my taste it is. Bloodbath is very nice, enemies are ok. I maybe missing the point of this game, always have that feeling that something is missing. In my opinion Hard Reset is way to much better. This is my opinion, so don't get offended.
  24. Sep 30, 2013
    As a great fan of Hard Reset, I could not wait to get my hands on Shadow Warrior. I just finished the game yesterday and I must say it is a masterpiece. The swordplay is the single most fun element I enjoyed in a FPS since the 90's. Through most of my playthrough I ignored the remaining weapons, because of this, but the flamethrower, double uzi's are really AAA FPS class to me. Of course, the game has its flaws: The level design could be better and more inspired on 90's maze-like levels, the story is actually good but presented in a shallow and weird form (I'm actually disapointed by not getting to see Hojis face). Even though I give it a 10 for the mere goal of encouragng developers to go in this old school direction. Expand
  25. Oct 2, 2013
    Great FPS! I was surprised by graphics and game play. The key combinations were a bit clumsy at first but work pretty well once you get used to them. Way to go Flying Wild Hog!
  26. Sep 29, 2013
    This remix of Shadow Warrior from Flying Wild Hog is a beautiful game, that is also cheap. The gameplay looks tedious or repetitive, but trust me it is a lot of fun and blast, with different combos from the Kitana combined with weapons, skills and powers alike. The Shadow Warrior in my opinion has been beautiful re imagined/rebooted from the classic era to the modern area. The graphics are amazing a cool next-gen quick title if you are wondering about the graphics.
    The gameplay is fun, quick, with a lot of blood and mini puzzles to do. They are really cool secret area throwing you to the classic game, secret collectibles of Karma,Money,etc.
    If you truly can let yourself go of the classic era and embrace the modern step of this game, you will find a gem that only Flying Wild Hog could deliver. If you hadn't play Hard Reset from them, try it, then try this. It is worth any time you got.
  27. Sep 30, 2013
    I really don't agree with the critic reviews on this one.. I'm an old school gamer, we strung coax through the ceiling to play doom 1&2 in the dorms. This game reminds me of what it felt like to play those back in the day but cranked up to 2013 style. Yea, there probably could've been some sweet multiplayer added in here, but this game still rocks on it's own. I'm on level 5 now, so probably about 6 hours into it. As you get a little more involved, the tuning of the combat system starts to show through some more. At first maybe it was a little underwhelming, but playing further into it, I'm really starting to dig it. The action is fast and encourages you to throw everything you have at them combo'd up as much as possible. The unlocks/upgrades are great (I just got the single-action revolver mod, highly recommend it.) Some of my favorites have been Duke3d & Painkiller, this is right up there with them. If you think you could enjoy some fast paced FPS goodness with the old school charms like medpacks, hidden items & tons of enemies, you'll like this game. Graphics are good, combat is good, explosions, guts.. lots of great small details. Just for extra info, I have a GTX 480 card, i5 2500k chip & 8GB ram.. I'm completely satisfied with the graphics level and framerate (have seen this mentioned a lot). I have it at 1920x1080 with about 7/10 on the graphics levels. Put the physics up the ultra!! Worth the buy! Expand
  28. Oct 8, 2013
    Great game-play. Beautiful world. Wicked sense of humor. This game is a fantastic modern old-school FPS with astonishing attention to detail. I am savoring every minute in this game because it is a long time since I've had such fun.
  29. Sep 27, 2013
    Not a bad game. Looks very nice maxed out, gameplay is pretty spot on I feel not being able to jump while sprinting hinders the game and also how jumping is implemented just feels weird for me). Using the katana is very satisfying once unlocking more moves. Although not expensive, I still feel it is more a game worth a lower price. It does have a few humorous comments (some not so funny). If you just want a run and gun, simplistic game this is great. Expand
  30. Sep 28, 2013
    This game is plain fun and gore, that's the whole point, nothing special besides fun. The story is nothing special, just funny, the gore is awesome, the fighting is awesome, graphics are mediocre, pretty good game. would give it a 8.5, but that's not possible on metacritic.

1. Mar 11, 2014
    Shadow Warrior is highly 90’s in a very good way. Pace is fast, health kits are in, guns are powerful, action is great, puns are bad and there is lot of flying blood and boy parts. The letdown is level design: they are too bland. [Nov 2013]
  2. Dec 5, 2013
    A successful revival of the mid-90's shooter. Shadow Warrior's combat is fun despite an irritating sense of humor. [Jan 2014, p.66]
  3. Nov 25, 2013
    No matter which way you slice its solid shooting mechanics, it still doesn't feel like Shadow Warrior. [December 2013, p.90]