8.1

1. Sep 26, 2013
    Good times and a cheap price. Fun gun/swordplay and fast paced action with exploration elements. Upgradeable weapons and sliceable enemies. Looking forward to more games from this developer.
  2. Sep 27, 2013
    Some of the 'professional' reviewers are missing the point of this game. I see folks complaining about getting lost in complex levels, having to find keys to advance, needing secrets to upgrade Lo Wang. This is what Call of Doodie has done to a generation of gamers... put simply, this is the best FPS to come along in a while and it's apologetically hard and old school. Thank you, Flying Wild Hog.
  3. Sep 26, 2013
    Why do reviewers never give credit to these superbly smooth and well designed FPS games?! The gameplay... is so damn satisfying.

If you like games like Painkiller and Serious Sam, then definitely give this a go.
  4. Sep 27, 2013
    Quite honestly one of the best shooters to come out this generation, which is something coming from the mouth of a fan of Battlefield 3 or other "good" military shooters. Because, hey, Shadow Warrior has AIMING DOWN THE SIGHT mechanics for those who prefer precision shooting (which is a mechanic I love as well, but I mix it up in Shadow Warrior with the sword and firing like some sort ofQuite honestly one of the best shooters to come out this generation, which is something coming from the mouth of a fan of Battlefield 3 or other "good" military shooters. Because, hey, Shadow Warrior has AIMING DOWN THE SIGHT mechanics for those who prefer precision shooting (which is a mechanic I love as well, but I mix it up in Shadow Warrior with the sword and firing like some sort of insane Rambo). So don't despair, Call of Duty fans!

But, I cannot deny my love affair with nostalgic shooters that I played when I was a kid, including the recent Shadow Warrior Classic Redux that I made sure to finish before buying this amazing game! However, we can't forget about Doom or Duke Nukem 3D either! Shadow Warrior does EVERYTHING right, regardless of the supposed "level design" issues despite said levels being beautiful and wonderfully varied.

Here is why the game is good before I go off on further tangents:

Insane levels of depth with weapon upgrades, skills, and powers, with each requiring their own resource to upgrade that you can find in the world.

Insane value, as the game is lengthy as Lo Wang's um, wang, with about 17 levels/chapters.

Explosive, bloody, and gorey combat that is too much fun whether or not you prefer using magic, sword, or other weapons like the PDW (SMG) which is my favorite weapon!

Fantastic humor, with Lo Wang's classic one liners and quotable quotes.

Insanely good visuals. Numerous visual options to help balance beauty and performance, including the extremely underused TRIPLE BUFFERING option. Field of view slider included for even the most discerning first person shooter fan!

Secret areas. Did you think they would leave out fun to find secret areas, that are actually TOUGH to find? Well, think again!

Now, that is my review of Shadow Warrior. Is this game perfect? NO, but it is as close to perfection that we will get in a shooter these days!
  5. Sep 27, 2013
    A great way to describe this game, very simply, is with the word 'fun'. It's a blast. Gorgeous visuals, especially the lighting effects and a nice variety in level appearance. Great variety of weapons, which look and feel good to use. Plenty of upgrades, giving you lots of freedom to choose to how you want to power up. Lots of content too 17 levels and the levels aren't that short. TonsA great way to describe this game, very simply, is with the word 'fun'. It's a blast. Gorgeous visuals, especially the lighting effects and a nice variety in level appearance. Great variety of weapons, which look and feel good to use. Plenty of upgrades, giving you lots of freedom to choose to how you want to power up. Lots of content too 17 levels and the levels aren't that short. Tons of secrets and amusing hidden easter eggs to find. Very nostalgic but at the same time very modern, for example the fact that nearly every little object in the game is destructible. The way the story is presented is a huge improvement on how it was handled in this dev's previous game, Hard Reset, and it's great fun to hear the banter between Lo Wang and the demon Hoji. Great game overall! Bravo Flying WIld Hog! Expand
  6. Sep 27, 2013
    I'm actually pleasantly surprised by this game. It has really nice combat, there's a great atmosphere, the levels are built quite well and it's not expensive at all. The only thing that should be improved is the framerate. It runs quite well, but there are games that do look better and are less demanding. Still, it's a great old-school game and I can only hope more games like this wil be made.
  7. Oct 2, 2013
    As a painkiller(and such) fan i expected this to be a little bit more. Sure its nostalgic and so on, but to me it feels more like a console game than a pc game. Also it is looking very very low budget. Its fun for a while, but its a very simple game, leveldesign arent even worth mentioning. Ill have to give it a 4, for those 1-2 hours u actually play it before uninstalling.
  8. Sep 29, 2013
    The game has the worst level-layout in any game I've ever seen, the entire game is just a series of arenas you transition from with some treasure chests inbetween while fighting the same 5 enemies throughout the entire game. It's incredibly boring and repetitive. The weapons are extremely lack-luster and very weak, the sword is a wrecking ball of self-healing immortality even on theThe game has the worst level-layout in any game I've ever seen, the entire game is just a series of arenas you transition from with some treasure chests inbetween while fighting the same 5 enemies throughout the entire game. It's incredibly boring and repetitive. The weapons are extremely lack-luster and very weak, the sword is a wrecking ball of self-healing immortality even on the hardest setting, there was clearly no quality assurance involved in this game's production, the bloom is blinding, I had to actually put on sunglasses when I first arrived at the snow-level to continue playing. There are invisible walls everywhere and you can get stuck on teh tiniest doodads while circle-strafing enemies, which is the only thing you will ever do in this game. The boss fights are the most boring and uninspired boss fights in recent history, Really, if you want to continue to hold the shadow warrior franchise in high regard, don't buy this game. however if you're someone who can play cell-phone games for hours and hours on end without ever growing bored then this might be a game for you. Like-wise, if you enjoy stimulating games that can provide a challenge and mix things up so you don't get bored doing the same thing forever, then pass this game by. Expand
  9. Oct 8, 2013
    I can't understand why the "professional" critics rate this game so low. This game is way better than the overrated COD games and probably the best fps game this year.
  10. Dec 19, 2013
    In some cases, the content detracts enough from an underwhelming element in a game... This is that kind of game... Sure, the environments are a little repetitive, but I'm having far too much fun to care.
    Cheer up try-hards, it's a game not a job.
  11. Oct 11, 2013
    Very descent game. I didn't like the way you perform special attacks and last third was repetitive. Convoluted setting didn't do much good for me either, though character interaction was interesting. But overall gameplay is a persistent fun. If you like proper, long PC shooters give this a go.
  12. May 31, 2014
    There's no denying that the swordplay is good fun, though I wish the controls could be better. Having to double tap keys in the midst of combat does feel kinda clumsy and there are more intuitive ways of implementing fancy sword attacks. Boss fights were also a bit underwhelming. Using hit and run tactics to slowly destroy weak spots across the span of 10 minutes or more makes for a fightThere's no denying that the swordplay is good fun, though I wish the controls could be better. Having to double tap keys in the midst of combat does feel kinda clumsy and there are more intuitive ways of implementing fancy sword attacks. Boss fights were also a bit underwhelming. Using hit and run tactics to slowly destroy weak spots across the span of 10 minutes or more makes for a fight that's not so much difficult, but rather grindy and tedious. The level design and enemy encounters also start to feel a bit formulaic halfway through the game in my opinion. The story was pretty solid though (even if the ending wasn't that sad because it was overshadowed by all the penis jokes), and the graphics and sound design is well done for the most part. It's a nice game I suppose if you're looking for some fast paced bloody violence, It just lacks a little variety and needs some more polish. Expand
  13. Nov 5, 2013
    This game is great, a REAL old school shooter (what Duke Nukem Forever should have been). I think sword combat has never been so fun before in a FPS game and I can't think of any important drawback. without entering in details (for example: many times, on melee combat, you die because the enviroment is "excessively explosive" so to say.).
    To stay short, highly recomended!
  14. Nov 3, 2013
    Lo Wang is hilarious and I really like the combo system in place for doing special moves while your sword is out. The storyline is cheesy but it fits the personality of Wang perfectly, especially when you find out after listening to "The Touch" and joining in as well that you are to offer money for a blade.
  15. Dec 20, 2013
    Finally! A single-player shooter managing to provide decent fun without relying on crappy stealth/horror mechanisms or ridiculous pseudo-realism.

It's by no means perfect, not even close. Both the environments and the ennemies lack variety. The level design and graphics, though quite decent, are nothing to write home about. One could say the same thing about weapons and powers. But

But in the end, it's nervous, frantic, the slashing gameplay is efficient and satisfyingly impactful, the story is surprisingly motivating and the whole thing ends up being just plain fun. Well done!
  16. Oct 21, 2013
    Awesome remake from Polish Studio Fying WIld Hog. Bloody, funny FPS with great Katana mechanics. If you think, that DOOM's clones are dead, then you are wrong. Game is cheap, and worth every zł/$/euro etc.
  17. Oct 22, 2013
    best shooter gameplay in years very funny conversation make this easily my favorit fps of 2013. only misses the 10/10 because there is no multiplayer.
  18. Nov 6, 2013
    Fantastic game! Brings Oldschool back to life with new graphics and some of the best sword play ever in any game.. The story even gets good at later lvls.. And don't listen to the ''reviewers'' the fact that you need secrets to upgrade your character and keys to progress is not a bad thing.. this is not a CoD audience they don't need their hand held the entire time.. FANTASTIC GAME
  19. Jan 5, 2014
    It's been a "wang" time since FPS' didn't try to take theirselves too seriously, were difficult, and most of all, fun. Duke Nukem Forever, for many, was a disappointment in that many hoped that it would stay the course of what FPS used to entail: gratuitous, unapologetic, fast paced gore and action. But for the new reboot of Shadow Warrior, being the more "eastern" cousin of Duke NukemIt's been a "wang" time since FPS' didn't try to take theirselves too seriously, were difficult, and most of all, fun. Duke Nukem Forever, for many, was a disappointment in that many hoped that it would stay the course of what FPS used to entail: gratuitous, unapologetic, fast paced gore and action. But for the new reboot of Shadow Warrior, being the more "eastern" cousin of Duke Nukem truly shines in that it redeems what makes FPS great with all the credentials of it being made in 2013. The graphics are completely stunning, not only for the purpose of the aesthetic but even beautifully done with the gore and action too. Melee combat, for FPS, usually always tied into being used as a last ditch effort. But not here. The Katana will probably be the most handy weapon out there, and it's the first one you get! There are a lot of combinations to the weapon that can apply heavy damage and kills, but the combos are frustratingly set on the movement keys and require some wonky movement in order to use them. Second, while the firepower can, at times work for the most part, seem quite underpowered when compared to the Katana. But even then, every gun you use has a satisfying punch to it, and the shotgun is especially of that case when you can unload every shell point blank into quivering demons. As many of the professional critics state, level design is somewhat weak as it usually involved complex corridors followed by arena-sized areas, rinse and repeat. Sometimes the level design can shine between both context and combat orientation, like "You Should See the Other Guy", or generally the chapters involving the shipyard. The Demons, or the general enemies are at the most times competent but usually suffer from clipping errors with items around them, so they can often try to chase you from a corner. In terms of what they can do is another story, as they can evolve and be enraged to greater bring strain to the player. The story is fairly decent and potent for a game that involves gratuitous violence, with a likable chemistry between the main character, Lo Wang, and his demon pal, Hoji, webbing the downfall of the shadow realm and how the sword and Hoji are tied to it. Also, for a FPS, we also get to see a lot of character building too with Lo Wang, from being a sneery, egotistic japanese 'american', to being a full blown, sympathetic professional with the wisdom and charisma of a true master. I didn't really set my sights on Flying Wild Hog before, but with their continued devotion to bring the S back in FPS really makes me feel they are the Id or 3DRealms of our generation. Overall, this game will melt your brain with fun, being fun loving and never tiring to blow demons back to kingdom come, keeping the tradition of secrets and shadow warrior's quotable one-liners, but best of all, making what is FPS, FPS! Expand
  20. Oct 14, 2013
    This is the best slashing/shooting game ive ever played, i never get tired of it.
    i love the jokes of Hoji and the story is amazing.
    it's a must buy game.
    shadow Warrior is my favorite game of 2013!!!
    sorry for bad English.
  21. Oct 18, 2013
    Finished Today.
    It's a very good experience for old school players.
    17 chapters of Single Player, in an era where Call Of Duty (From Call Of Duty 2) set a poor standard of longevity. The gameplay is caothic, like good old school games... yes it's a rail game but doesn't matter, it's an amazing jump in the past, where blood, bullets and enemies are everywhere. Graphics it's not
    Finished Today.
    It's a very good experience for old school players.
    Graphics it's not excellent in all the game, but there are some location that are full of details (like the caves).
    The sound part of the game reach the top, with a full set of good samples.
    Musics are epic (especially the opening Theme).
    Amazing Reboot...
  22. Oct 8, 2013
    Great game-play. Beautiful world. Wicked sense of humor. This game is a fantastic modern old-school FPS with astonishing attention to detail. I am savoring every minute in this game because it is a long time since I've had such fun.
  23. Nov 9, 2013
    Another surprise for me this year. After Gunslinger reinventing wild west shooters, now this game introduces the best melee combat in a shooter.

You will not regret playing this game, and you can easily clock in 20hours. Lots of funny moments, comments, good graphics but not heavy on your machine, good music, and very very very satisfying gameplay.
  24. Nov 16, 2013
    Well, that was a good game.

Classic, pure fun gameplay, with hardcore elements. Long story driven campaign with LONG, and I mean LONG levels. Lots of secrets, easter eggs and humor. And how do I love to listen to those stupid dialogs. Laughed my back off many times. Weapons feel powerful(finally!), swordplay is juicy and badass and there is (anti?)hero to save the....day? Very
    Well, that was a good game.

Very catchy soundtrack, crysis-like visuals(although demanding) and good performance.

There is one bad thing about this game. It has to end.
    Flying Wild Hog made Game Of the Year. Thank you.
  25. Oct 11, 2013
    Shadow Warrior reboot is an act of love. An act of love for videogamers. Because this stylish FPS is totally what you want to play. Secret Zones?They are in. Gorgeous combat?In. This is also the best melee combat you can find in a first person shooter, Katana is the best weapon ever implemented in a videogame. Some journalist misses the point, playing this game in normal mode. Dash toShadow Warrior reboot is an act of love. An act of love for videogamers. Because this stylish FPS is totally what you want to play. Secret Zones?They are in. Gorgeous combat?In. This is also the best melee combat you can find in a first person shooter, Katana is the best weapon ever implemented in a videogame. Some journalist misses the point, playing this game in normal mode. Dash to avoid attack, counter attack parry, a lot of weapon that you can use at any time, not dumb limit from the modern shooter...This is dream. Expand
  26. Oct 8, 2013
    The weeabo son of painkiller and unreal, the combat is a blend between unreals dancing and painkillers horde control, one of the guns is a stake gun expy and another is flat out the tri-barreled rocket launcher from ut2004. although the guns are great the sword is the heart of the game, everything about the game is about the sword, the combat, the story, you even open magically doors withThe weeabo son of painkiller and unreal, the combat is a blend between unreals dancing and painkillers horde control, one of the guns is a stake gun expy and another is flat out the tri-barreled rocket launcher from ut2004. although the guns are great the sword is the heart of the game, everything about the game is about the sword, the combat, the story, you even open magically doors with it. although the combat is great shadow warrior is very long and i could see why a lot of people could find it repetitive. graphically the game is mediocre but artistically the game is below nothing shadow warrior is beautiful, tear jerkingly beautiful.

anyway that's shadow warrior go buy it
  27. Oct 9, 2013
    Flying Wild Hog are readily becoming one of my favourite Dev's. I love Hard Reset and I love their take on Shadow Warrior. This game is good old fashioned fun and surprisingly a robust leveling system to match. So really I think it's a game that anyone can really enjoy it doesn't take itself too seriously and neither should you.

The melee combat is so satisfying and seemingly accurate

The melee combat is so satisfying and seemingly accurate and weighty. If you want to slice a head off, aim for the neck it works, and it's it's awesome. I love the voice acting and one-liners.

The game is quite attractive and has a plethora of PC options. That's what I REALLY love about these devs, they listen to the community and when they make a PC game, they MAKE a PC game. This game works flawlessly using Nvidia Surround and looks stunning across 3 monitors.

I really don't think you can argue with the price especially when it was on pre-order special. You can mix it up with different "special" weapons for a bit more fun, and have a blast trying to find all the little secrets Flying Wild Hog have put into the game (look behind certain waterfalls :)

Games are meant to be fun, and this is exactly that so go have fun already!

Spoonie
  28. Dec 9, 2013
    Fantastic game. Throws you back to the way FPS used to be.

Story? Yeah, it's there, but it's not the key point, you can read a book if you want story. But the chaos, the utter chaos destruction and visual prowess this game offers within the story it does have, is utterly phenomenal. This game absolutely does not hold your hand. Here is the level, you have to achieve this, go, and
    Fantastic game. Throws you back to the way FPS used to be.

This game absolutely does not hold your hand. Here is the level, you have to achieve this, go, and really that's it, which is why I love it.

Absolutely brilliant, excited to hear it's coming to console too.
  29. Sep 30, 2013
    Being a long time fan of Painkiller and the likes (i.e. more difficult FPS) this game is now the #1 FPS I have ever played. A lot of fun, a variety of scenery with a very much viable sword play and non-hitscan enemies I can't do anything but recommend this title to anyone looking a different (a bit more old-school with new-school elements thrown in it) spin on FPS.

At this price, you

At this price, you can't go wrong. I've spent 17 hours the first day it got released. That alone has made it worthwhile and knowing we can probably expect some free DLCs on top of that (as was the case with Hard Reset) at 20€ (discount coupon, which you can get easily on SPUF) this game is a steal.

What an awesome homage to gore, violence and the entire genre, giving nods left and right to culture of the 90s and best games from the past.
  30. Dec 17, 2013
    I can not believe that this game came out. This is the best oldschool game. Lately it has become fashionable to make "scraps" from the games. This is one of the rare, full games over the last 5 years.

1. Mar 11, 2014
    Shadow Warrior is highly 90’s in a very good way. Pace is fast, health kits are in, guns are powerful, action is great, puns are bad and there is lot of flying blood and boy parts. The letdown is level design: they are too bland. [Nov 2013]
  2. Dec 5, 2013
    A successful revival of the mid-90's shooter. Shadow Warrior's combat is fun despite an irritating sense of humor. [Jan 2014, p.66]
  3. Nov 25, 2013
    No matter which way you slice its solid shooting mechanics, it still doesn't feel like Shadow Warrior. [December 2013, p.90]