7.1

1. Dec 9, 2014
    Very nice Third-Person fast-paced alien shooter. Excellent voice-overs. Story is basically this: aliens are attacking the Ganymede colony (one of Jupiter's Moons) - you are an engineer and need to take care of EVERYTHING :)) Yep! I liked it quite a bit. About 6 hrs of game in it. A twist at the end ;)
  2. Aug 11, 2014
    I played through the first two stages of this game and was thoroughly unimpressed; it took about an hour to do, and there was really nothing in there which made me want to keep playing. The voice acting was poor, the graphics did not age well, and there was really no hook that grabbed me and said "I am curious about what is going on/invested in the people in this game." The fact that thereI played through the first two stages of this game and was thoroughly unimpressed; it took about an hour to do, and there was really nothing in there which made me want to keep playing. The voice acting was poor, the graphics did not age well, and there was really no hook that grabbed me and said "I am curious about what is going on/invested in the people in this game." The fact that there are grammatical errors in the text and even in the lines given to the voice actors is kind of sad. If you want to play a game like this, Alien Swarm is both free and vastly superior. Expand
  3. Dec 20, 2013
    A decent little game that has plenty of action and different weapons to choose from, as well as a pretty solid story.

Slight repetitiveness and very average voice acting which does pay a part in the game reduces the score.
  4. Apr 11, 2013
    the game was made in 2005-6 and the graphics are like it was made in 1999 the gameplay is just simple but good the story was awful (i didnt finish the game but i played 2-3 hours of the game and i just didnt want to play it anymore) i dont know how crazy all the ppl are who vote it for 10 this doesnt worth even 1 euro i am glad i won it on steam and i didnt pay for that s*it!
  5. Apr 6, 2012
    Story is a pretty generic Syfy one. Enemies aren't that difficult to face, story is also quite short. I finished the campaign in about 5 hours. Gameplay isn't that great, never really enjoyed my time with that game. Wouldn't recommend it.
  6. Mar 11, 2012
    Meh. Playing it in co-op is also a bored. These types of game should stay on flash nowadays as they do not age well. My opinion of course. Bland gameplay, graphics, and environments.
  7. Nov 27, 2011
    The only reason to buy this is if you don't like online games, because Alien Swarm is the same thing, but there are three major differences:
    1. Alien Swarm is free
    2. Alien Swarm is online
    3. Alien Swarm is better
    Not saying much either, because Alien Swarm isn't that great.
  8. Jun 27, 2011
    A 3D top down shooter with weapons to upgrade and a semi destructible environment? Defiantly my kind of game. It is a LOT of fun.
    The (seemingly) pre-rendered cut scenes aren't that great and neither is the voice acting but the game play more then makes up for it.
  9. Jun 25, 2011
    This game could have been so much more!

This game could have been so much more!

But let's start with what didn't work: the dialogues were mediocre at best. Although the controls were fairly good, there were problems with aiming. It's a shooter, and nothing else. Not only is the story linear, the game play is also. No fancy missions or character development, just run through shooting everything that moves. It's lacking a lot of depth. There's also no compelling reason to use any of the big weapons until very late in the game. The handgun works fine for 3/4 of the game (even on hard mode).

On the good side, level designs were good, graphics were decent, the view angle is refreshing, and some of the scenes can put you on edge at times.

If it's under 5$, you might feel you got your money's worth.
  10. Apr 19, 2011
    This game is very interesting, you have many weapons to choose from, upgrades that make a measle pistol into a little killing device, and a very interesting storyline and concept. The only thing that disappointed me in this game was the ending, it was quite anti-climatic really.
  11. EricE.
    Dec 27, 2007
    I originally played the demo and enjoyed it. So I bought this game from Steam along with its expansion. If you like isometric 3rd person type games (Diablo, Dungeon Siege, etc..) this is a excellent addition to your collection especially if you like Sci-Fi. The graphics are gorgeous and are even better in the expansion. The game isn't really long about 11 levels with several I originally played the demo and enjoyed it. So I bought this game from Steam along with its expansion. If you like isometric 3rd person type games (Diablo, Dungeon Siege, etc..) this is a excellent addition to your collection especially if you like Sci-Fi. The graphics are gorgeous and are even better in the expansion. The game isn't really long about 11 levels with several mini-missions. Because of its gorgeous graphics, low price and just plain fun blowing things up. I give it a 9/10. Expand
  12. ErvinoC.
    Dec 3, 2007
    Nice look & feel. Moronic save system that don't leave you save where you want. I really don't understand why they still make games without a free save system!!!
  13. MarkM.
    Nov 20, 2007
    Perfect top down shooter!
  14. RobH.
    Nov 16, 2007
    This is a lot of game for the money! The script and acting are bad, but it adds to the B-movie charm of this Alien spinoff. The levels progress well, with well placed stashes of equipment and ammo.
  15. Rick
    Nov 10, 2007
    I'd give it an 8. The good is it has a great soundtrack, interesting and fun weapons and enemies, decent atmosphere, lots of adrenaline-pumping moments where your back's against a wall and they just keep coming. Looks great, and has fairly challenging gameplay if that's your thing. The bad isthat it has a cliche storyline, poor voiceacting and doesn't really bring much I'd give it an 8. The good is it has a great soundtrack, interesting and fun weapons and enemies, decent atmosphere, lots of adrenaline-pumping moments where your back's against a wall and they just keep coming. Looks great, and has fairly challenging gameplay if that's your thing. The bad isthat it has a cliche storyline, poor voiceacting and doesn't really bring much new to the table. Still, the storyline isn't what you play an arcade style shooter for, and Shadowgrounds more than delivers in fun. The voiceacting can forgiven, as it it doesn't stick out too badly and the developer isn't exactly swimming in resources, from what I've heard. Great game, defo worth a look. Expand
  16. JonathanM.
    Sep 30, 2007
    Oh, man. I love this little game. It's so simple, yet so awesome. The graphics aren't bad, but that's not the showcase of this gem. It's just plain machine-gun-blaring, flamethrower-flaring, grenade-chucking fun. You get lots of cool enemies to fight, multiple upgrades for an already-large assortment of satisfying weapons, and hours of arcade shoot-em-up entertainment. Oh, man. I love this little game. It's so simple, yet so awesome. The graphics aren't bad, but that's not the showcase of this gem. It's just plain machine-gun-blaring, flamethrower-flaring, grenade-chucking fun. You get lots of cool enemies to fight, multiple upgrades for an already-large assortment of satisfying weapons, and hours of arcade shoot-em-up entertainment. It's not a complicated game. It doesn't use the latest technology. It has a few bugs. It's great. (It's also a little scary in some parts, too. Call it a bonus.) =p Expand
  17. JesperS.
    Jun 16, 2007
    A refreshing old-style action game - close to being a perfect "Alien Breed ripp-off". There are some minor quirks here and there, but nothing which really ruins the overall experience. Probably the best 19 USD i spent on a game for at least a year.
  18. TheeDeathmaster
    Dec 9, 2006
    This game is superb, it has the action (gameplay), the selection of guns, the graphics; what more could you ask for? It's a game worth getting and you shouldn't expect anything less than a 10/10!
  19. ZEUS_GB
    Oct 24, 2006
    Shadowgrounds is a 360 top down shooter like you used to get in the late 80s and earlier 90s. The game that springs to mind straight away is the legendary Alien Breed. The graphics aren't the best in the world but for a game like this there awesome. The developers have made great use of lighting that adds really good atmosphere to the game and makes it really creepy in places. Shadowgrounds is a 360 top down shooter like you used to get in the late 80s and earlier 90s. The game that springs to mind straight away is the legendary Alien Breed. The graphics aren't the best in the world but for a game like this there awesome. The developers have made great use of lighting that adds really good atmosphere to the game and makes it really creepy in places. Another good use of the lighting system is the torch, some of the aliens are scared of the light and will run away but others are attracted to light. The sounds make this game creepy as well. It's not uncommon to be walking down the corridor and heard the aliens before you see them. You'll hear their sounds, you'll be checking all round you, you'll be checking the radar but all you'll see are blobs everywhere. Hehehe! The background music is really good as well. It adds atmosphere to the levels and bounding music when in a battle. The weapons in the game are the best i've seen in this type of shooter. They are well thought out and imaginative not just thrown in as an after thought like in many games nowadays. For your shooting pleasure there's a pistol, pulse rifle, shotgun, rocket launcher (what game would be complete without one?), lasergun, grenade launcher, railgun :D, electric gun, flame thrower, minigun :D. Another great thing about the weapons is the ability to upgrade them. Upgrade points are dropped by aliens after you kill them so that means the more aliens you kill the better weapons you get! This is a great budget release that really shows off what smaller developers can do. Expand
  20. EthanL.
    Oct 14, 2006
    It could have been good, but it just wasn't. I give the developer of this game some credit for at least trying bring back the top down shooter genre, but the game just doesn't play very well at all. It had a pretty cliche storyline and awful voiceovers, but the graphics are great, and so is the weapon selection. I had some fun in this game, but a lot of things brought it down.
  21. NolanV.
    Oct 12, 2006
    Great game. Love the top-down perspective.
  22. MustHave
    Oct 4, 2006
    Found the game to be back to some of the simple basics, and yet kept me interested thoughout. Reminded me of the good old days. Worth the money!
  23. AlienSwarm
    Oct 2, 2006
    Alien Swarm is the better game! This is a cheesy ripoff!
  24. ad
    Sep 22, 2006
    This game deserves better ratings. It is simply an amazing game. GREAT storyline, oldschool gameplay, FANTASTIC music , and AMAZING graphics. Simply an 10/10 rating.
  25. MikeA.
    Sep 10, 2006
    Looks like it could be a fun game. I bought the digital download version and I've had nothing but problems with it. The editor craps out everytime I use it and the mod I downloaded will not activate...and yes I installed it correctly. Looks like you owe me a refund Meridian4.
  26. AnonymousMC
    Sep 7, 2006
    S U P E R ! ! !
  27. HessenMahemdi
    Aug 26, 2006
    Don't like it very much.
  28. ConnorM.
    Aug 23, 2006
    Not a first person view loved it.
  29. BrentC.
    Aug 12, 2006
    Not A First Person View didn't like it.
  30. Anubis
    Aug 11, 2006
    es ist sau gut die Grafik der sound alles stimmt. Die schöne Horor admosphäre gefällt mir das einzige warum es keine 10 Punkte bekommt ist das das Gameplay nicht neu ist und es noch einige Bugs hat
  31. JackL.
    Aug 9, 2006
    Great gameplay, awesome soundtrack, good gfx and most of all very fun to play.
  32. KenP.
    Aug 8, 2006
    For $20 this game is awesome cheap fun. Its different from everything else out there. You can jump in and tear apart baddies with some pretty cool music and effects.
  33. KeirA.
    Jul 31, 2006
    Fantastic sound, looks good and reminds me of old-school games. Very addictive gameplay, and co-operative is great fun.
  34. JamesK.
    Jul 27, 2006
    The best old school games i have played in ages, made me wanting to watch aliens the film again, had more fun playing this than many of the new generation games (to much attention goes to looks not game play these days) this was a blast from the past that should teach for the future. Thanks for the ride.
  35. PeterR.
    Jul 20, 2006
    ok game with mediocre graphics, and a terribly predictably story. other than that they swear every other word, and the weapon choice is in fact good. lots of fun when you get a great gun, and uising the pistol when youi run out of ammo makes for a stretegitic alternitive. the aliens vary well, but they sometimes dont look like they could be from the same species. a good half action/half ok game with mediocre graphics, and a terribly predictably story. other than that they swear every other word, and the weapon choice is in fact good. lots of fun when you get a great gun, and uising the pistol when youi run out of ammo makes for a stretegitic alternitive. the aliens vary well, but they sometimes dont look like they could be from the same species. a good half action/half survival game with a unique over-top view. Expand
  36. ShawnC.
    Jul 16, 2006
    That game was just plain ol' FUN! If your looking for a good old school shooter with a modern touch than this is it. Every level is entertaining.
  37. MilesT.
    Jul 13, 2006
    One of the best games I've played this year. Its a very effective blend of Alien Shooter's play style and Doom 3's shadowing and tension. Production values are top-notch, the game is very fun and replayable, and it is more than worth the $20. I'd recommend this one to anyone who liked Alien Shooter, Crimsonlands, Neo Contra, or the Hunter games.
  38. KyleW.
    Jul 10, 2006
    this is just a really bad knock off of alien swarm by black cat games, and they weren't being paid.
  39. JazzW.
    Jun 13, 2006
    Fun. I look for fun in every game I buy, and this game sure entertained me. Weakness in the voice acting, easily overlooked by the awesome lighting and great weapons. Got 6 strong hours of gameplay, I can't wait for Shadowgrounds II!
  40. AnonymousMC
    Jun 12, 2006
    Check++. Everything about this game just works. From the wide variety of uniquely upgradeable weapons, to the impeccable light-sourcing and special effects. Your flashlight will quickly become your best-friend as the action will come at you ferociously from all angles. Better yet bring your best-friend along because this game seamlessly supports multiplayer co-op with varied input devices,Check++. Everything about this game just works. From the wide variety of uniquely upgradeable weapons, to the impeccable light-sourcing and special effects. Your flashlight will quickly become your best-friend as the action will come at you ferociously from all angles. Better yet bring your best-friend along because this game seamlessly supports multiplayer co-op with varied input devices, all configurable easily through the options menu. Two flashlights are always better than one, as I discovered when my hide was saved innumerable times by my quick-reacting partner; armed with all the same weapons and upgrades as me. Like a true co-op, all the progress, rewards, and outcomes are shared by both players, as well as their sense of interdependency. If your partner dies...it's back to the spawn for both of you! This inspires a true sense of teamwork that keeps the tactical aspect of the game at the forefront, and will lead to some interesting in-game stategy and tradeoffs. I'm writing all this and I haven't even finsished the game yet, but am already looking forward to playing it again with three or even four players. I can only imagine the madness. Don't miss this rare gem of a game or you will truly be left in the shadows! Expand
  41. Salamamba
    Jun 9, 2006
    The biggest problem with this game is that it feels and plays like a re-hash of "Alien Breed". The graphics aren't even much better quality, and a lot of the weapons/opponants seem the same.
  42. AmirK.
    Jun 7, 2006
    Somewhat entertaining, especially the weapon selection and upgrades. Alas, the gameplay is poor, the game is plain boring at times. The camera angle and graphics are bad. I have purchased the game through steam... I Want My Money Back... Consider the fact that Half life E1 costs the same.
    Jun 3, 2006
    the lack of any sort of save feature severely hampers the enjoyment of this game. otherwise, it's fun, replayable and inovative. reminds me of zelda mixed with an 'alien' movie. if shadowgrounds had a save mechanic and was maybe a little bit longer, i'd have to give it at least an 8.5 if not a 9.
  44. JohnD.
    Jun 3, 2006
    The only thing i find wrong with this game is that there is no option to save game. you have to complete a full mission before it will save ur progress.
  45. M.Peters
    May 31, 2006
    Generally good game. Music is a little loud at default and can drown out other important game elements. For a top-down style shooter, this one's worth the dough.
  46. StanP.
    May 31, 2006
    It was great to get back-to-basics gameplay. I loved that you could just jump right in and start killing...two thumbs way up.
  47. JacobK.
    May 29, 2006
    I think the fact that this is a budget game lets it down greatly. The characters are poor with little in the way of facial expressions, the camera angle is aggravating and the overall feel of this title is just weak.
  48. MichaelP.
    May 29, 2006
    I'm surprised no one has compared this to another top-down shooter, Take No Prisoners, released about 1998. That was an excellent game. I played this one thru in about 5 days, and I enjoyed it. The good points: Great spooky atmosphere, even with being able to see ahead in other rooms. Interesting weapons and a fun weapons upgrade system. Interesting monsters, different capabilities I'm surprised no one has compared this to another top-down shooter, Take No Prisoners, released about 1998. That was an excellent game. I played this one thru in about 5 days, and I enjoyed it. The good points: Great spooky atmosphere, even with being able to see ahead in other rooms. Interesting weapons and a fun weapons upgrade system. Interesting monsters, different capabilities that required different tactics. Good level design. I didn't feel like I was going thru the same corridors and levels all the time. Mix of open spaces and closed spaces. The mediocre: Cheesy plot -- it gets us thru the game, it was tolerable enough. The respawning system provided instead of saving. It seems like every other FPS can save at any time, why can't this one? Having said that, it wasn't really bad just annoying. The bad: Those lame talking heads, and the cheesy dialog! The game crashed occasionally when I read the PDAs and the computer terminals, especially in the hanger where the alien ship is found. General comments: I didn't like the free camera mode, I always had it locked in. But that was just my preference. I suppose third-person shooter fans would like it. Overall a fun gaming experience. I would check out any other games Frozenbyte creates. Expand
  49. MikeC.
    May 27, 2006
    I'm sorry to say this, but this game is horrible! The gameplay is intensly dull, the controls seen uncooperaritive, and the dark graphics give me a headache. Why anyone would like this game is beyond me.
  50. PatrikH.
    May 25, 2006
    I give it a strong 9. It is really a well developed mod, the creators really have put efforts in this modification. And I had flashbacks to one of my all time favorite games Alien Breed. The story is intense and the effects ingame are really nice. I look forward to the release of the full game.
  51. BenR.
    May 25, 2006
    Not bad, but lacks a certain kapow! Felt like an overly organised and contrived scenario and wasn't very absorbing or gripping. Still good fun but not great. Lacked graphically also.
  52. Shimmy
    May 24, 2006
    The second I ran shadowgrounds, it was nice. I felt like this was the good old days of gaming. The top down shooter genre was awesome back then. The game is awesome. Love the game engine. It
  53. SpencerS.
    May 21, 2006
    Fantastic game-play, super soundtrack, best lighting effects in any game I played this year. Mmmmm...Flamethrower... awesome weapons. Overall best game I've played in a while.
  54. BrandonA.
    May 19, 2006
    Very enjoyable game with old-school charm. There are a wide variety of weapons and the upgrade system allows you to customize them to your own play style. Very good use of shadows with this engine. This game is simply fun. I do not understand all the complaints that it's just "a 3rd person Doom 3 clone". Doom 3 was not original, guys (it was the same as Doom 1 & 2). Doom 3 was as Very enjoyable game with old-school charm. There are a wide variety of weapons and the upgrade system allows you to customize them to your own play style. Very good use of shadows with this engine. This game is simply fun. I do not understand all the complaints that it's just "a 3rd person Doom 3 clone". Doom 3 was not original, guys (it was the same as Doom 1 & 2). Doom 3 was as cliche as video game cliches get. If anything, Shadowgrounds has more roots in Robotron than in Doom 3. Shadowgrounds is a fun and enjoyable take on a very old genre. Expand
  55. MarcelloD.
    May 19, 2006
    Best top-down shooter for the money! The dark! Oh boy! The lighting, or lack thereof is amazing. Keep up the good work Steam!
  56. AlexS.
    May 18, 2006
    Terrible game. The game controls suck because there is not y-axis adjustment. Also, the graphics remind me of Age of Empires 2, over all I have to say that this game is not worth its price.
  57. RatF.
    May 16, 2006
    This is a pretty primitive engine being used for this game, it literally looks like a game that should have been released 4 or 5 years ago. The gameplay is kinda ok, nothing great and I was growing bored after a few levels. Unless your pc is old and can't run a better game with a more modern engine, I would not bother with this mediocre game.
  58. BrianK.
    May 16, 2006
    The twitch gameplay + the roleplaying elements in this game are very fun. It's got a reasonably moody atmosphere, and a passable, if cliche storyline, but the gameplay is quite nice.
  59. boglito
    May 16, 2006
    Very fun and good looking top-down alienblaster. A refreshing twist for us fans of the fps-genre. Upgradeable weapons and challenging bosses are big pluses. The game is a little short, but I think that is ok, its price point taken into consideration.
  60. ZacV.
    May 15, 2006
    Horrible game. Almost exactly like Doom3 with bad graphics and horrible controls. I reality you can see in front of you, aim at something directly infront of you and SEE more than 5 feet infront of your self. I would rather play the original GTA...
  61. AnonymousMC
    May 14, 2006
    Are you kidding me? Not only does the game steal Doom's premise (not that it was a very good premise to begin with) to create a game that inspires laughter instead of the expected fear which its poor choice of camera placement (what is scary about top-down camera placement?), contrived concept of enemies, bad AI, laughable dialogue, and bad voice acting. Not only that, the graphicsAre you kidding me? Not only does the game steal Doom's premise (not that it was a very good premise to begin with) to create a game that inspires laughter instead of the expected fear which its poor choice of camera placement (what is scary about top-down camera placement?), contrived concept of enemies, bad AI, laughable dialogue, and bad voice acting. Not only that, the graphics are sub-par at best (which is forgivable for an independent game) and the weapons are nothing special. Boring, boring, boring gameplay. Expand
  62. JoeD.
    May 12, 2006
    While it is a generic shooter for some reason it is attractive. I know that i enjoy the game and shall continue for the time being :)
  63. FelipeS.
    May 11, 2006
    This game has a unique type of game-play and some of the best graphics that I have noticed.
  64. DaysonB.
    May 9, 2006
    Though not a first person shooter, the game play feels like it. The third person view from over the top isn't bad and you get use to it pretty quickly.
  65. Fjark
    May 9, 2006
    it's really great! but it kinda reminded me of the old game "raptor" :s the graphics could have been better...
  66. ManolisK.
    May 7, 2006
    I played the demo and then bought it on steam.. man this remind me the good old days.
  67. BrentD.
    May 6, 2006
    Well done, Well Done, bout time someone came up with a new version of an old genre. gauntlet, SmashTV good stuff. Sound 10-10 Gameplay 10-10 4player co-op 9-10 Too bad it isnt networkable for some good ole deathmatch that would so make this game rock even harder than it already does! www.Missioncontrol-lgc.com
  68. Eradicator
    May 6, 2006
    Excellent graphics, alright story line, kind of short but long enough. Never really get to have a big battle with hundreds of aliens though, bit disappointed about that. Fantastic game otherwise.
  69. JoshS.
    May 6, 2006
    This game is alot like CrimsonLand but a Source based engiene. This game kicks alien butt!
  70. EliasO.
    May 6, 2006
    Very amazing game, it's so fun to play with a RL friend...More of these games!!
  71. Brandon
    May 6, 2006
    This game was very fun to play and kept me interested all the way through. Although few minor bugs slowed it down a bit, they were a small price to pay for this old-school, yet amazingly fun shooter. If you like shooting aliens, dodging bullets, and captivating gameplay, then play this game!
  72. JpW.
    Apr 25, 2006
    Best darkness effects I have ever experienced in a game! Gameplay is awesome! There are many aliens to kill and if that is your thing this is your game!
  73. JohnFogert
    Apr 25, 2006
    I think amped IGO totally missed whats good in Shadowgrounds.. and seems like European sites and magazines have it all differently. I give 9 for Shadowgrounds with a major stamp of approval - oldschool is back! I never imagined to play cool game like this after 90's! Rock on! =)

+++ gameplay
    ++ visuals
    + music!
  74. Mar 11, 2012

1. With strong gameplay, outstanding design, and intense action, the game definitely fills the void left in many players by the somewhat-disappointing "Doom 3."
  2. The story is derivative, the aliens are clich├ęd and stupid and the gameplay is pretty bog standard for the most part.
  3. Shadowgrounds is a great game that is very fun to play and nice to look at. Players looking for a cheap action packed game or some nostalgia would be well advised to give Shadowgrounds a try.