7.4

1. Jul 25, 2013
    Shadowrun Returns is nice. But nice isn't great. Which is a serious disappointment after all those enthusiastic videos from harebrained and those positive previews all over the net.

The story is good. Sometimes it feels like it's written by a pubescent nerd, but anyone familiar with Shadowrun shouldn't be surprised by that. It fits the universe and is very entertaining. (+5)

The only
    problem is, that it doesn't feel like any choice you make matters. The story just goes on and on in the same direction, no matter how you behave. But that can be fixed by custom campaigns created by the community. (-1)

The combat is good, too. Its nothing surprisingly great, but a well made turn based tactical combat system. Not too hard and not too easy, just generally well made. (+4)

A serious issue are the technical shortcomings:

* There's no save system except for autosaves on map changes. This can get really frustrating when real life calls and you have to quit before finishing a map. To me, this is a fail at game design. (-3)

* The UI is clearly made for touch screens. Its just ugly. Everything feels kind of out of proportion and needs to be clicked. Very much not intuitive and no shortcuts whatsoever. Which leads to the next problem.. (-1)

* No customizable keybindings. You can't even switch weapons with the mouse wheel. You have to click the up and down buttons on the screen. Same goes for spells, which cant be used by pressing a number but have to be clicked. This is really bad design and clearly shows harebrained's origin in mobile gaming. (-1)

The background graphics are great. Much love was put into them and there's so much detail, it's always great to see such nice 2D graphics. (+1)
    But then there's the character models. It seems the background was much more important to harebrained than the characters. They seriously lack detail in any way and generally look quiet bad. Its nothing game breaking, but really sad to see. (-1)

The bright beacon of hope for this game is the mighty editor. The community gets all the tools to create their own campaigns and addons which is a lot of fun to do and gives hope for custom content, that fixes some of the negative aspects of SRR. (+1)

In conclusion, I don't regret backing the game, but I'm also not satisfied with it.
    The technical shortcomings need to be fixed asap to make this nice game for fans into a fun experience for everyone!

4 of 10
  2. Jul 25, 2013
    The game is good, but there are some major down points being glossed over by fan-children or sales representatives.

1) No save anywhere system. You can and will lose up to 30 mins. of progress because you did not hit the checkpoint. There is no save after a certain time either, its only on checkpoint, so if you have to do something, or are otherwise interrupted, you end up going back
    through a lot of dialogue and decisions you have already made, not just combat.
    2) Unlimited ammo. Got a sweet rocket launcher? Shoot it forever.
    3) Extremely linear; hopefully the user created campaigns are better.

Still probably a good game for a Shadowrun fan; if youre not a fan, you might want to wait for a sale.
  3. Aug 4, 2013
    After completing the game and spending some time working with the User Generated Content tools, I'm afraid I have to drop my original score from a 6 to 4. Below is my original review with some minor revisions to address the change in score:

I was really stoked for a reboot of the CRPG version of Shadowrun, especially after Microsoft and FASA tried exploiting the world for a terrible FPS
    years ago. I loved the PNP version and played both the SNES and Genesis Shadowrun games so when I first heard about this I was excited.

Unfortunately, if you're looking for a CRPG in the style of older ones, keep walking. Shadowrun barely qualifies. The game offers the typical Shadowrun classes but then makes them completely arbitrary and therefore meaningless, since a "perk" of the game is that you can make your own "class" by assigning your own points anywhere. It took a modder to create a loot system because the devs themselves didn't put it in (mobs always drop the same items all the time in the base game), and there's no difference from character to character or "choice" to "choice". Most of the time spent will be spent reading, not playing, and combat is so simplistic, even on the harder difficulty levels, that you have to be a complete moron to fail at it.

For the classes and skill point themselves, they're ultimately meaningless. Dump enough points into health and one attack type and you'll win. If you want to play the game on "EZ-Mode", remember these two words: Street Samurai. "Stat" checks to accomplish things in the game are exceedingly rare, and stat checks in dialog trees are pointless because they always funnel you to the same place without adding anything of real substance. You can't augment your specific class by hiring Shadowrunners e.g. a hired Decker cannot unlock a datapad that requires Decking so Shadowrunners are basically just cannon fodder to make the game even easier.

Then there's the save game issue. Saving by checkpoints, causing players to repeat entire sections of game (mostly reading the same dialog over again) simply because the devs couldn't be bothered to add in a simple quick save, state save, or save on exit capability is ridiculous. Case-in-point: The game crashed, hard, early on in my first Shaman (in the Redmond Barrens), and the save system was so borked that it hadn't even saved, at all. About an hour of play was completely erased, leaving me to start over from character creation.

I'm sorry to say that this game is more akin to reading a b-rated, poorly written graphic novel than playing a game. There's little connection with the characters, the game is broken down into completely linear chapters with few side quests to do, player agency is minimal, and the writing bounces between well crafted and bad fan fiction. Credit where it's due, though: the background art is amazing and the music is top notch.

Originally, I had said "save your money and wait for a sale, or wait for user generated content to make the game worth purchasing". However, after playing with the UGC toolkit, I can't even recommend the game for community content. This is because the toolkit, while expansive, doesn't allow content creators address the fundamental flaws in the Unity engine itself. All addons are going to be as linear as the original main episode, and the RPG elements will always be lackluster because these are core components in the engine that simply cannot be "edited" through the toolkit. There will never be a community "open world" addition because the engine simply cannot allow for it. Even the BEST user generated content for SRR will suffer ALL of the same foibles of the core game.

If you're looking for nostalgia, just replay Fallout 1 or 2, or pop in Shadowrun for SNES or Genesis on a handy dandy emulator and save your money for a better game. I guess Harebrained can at least be happy in knowing that a 4/10 is still better than what I'd rate Shadowrun the FPS.
  4. Jul 25, 2013
    This game is billed as being an amazing, in depth RPG with tons of choice and customization. What it actually is a super simplified version of Shadowrun that is planning on relying on user created content to make it worth the price; I was so completely bored an hour in (there is literally nothing to do but fight-- by pointing and clicking endlessly, with no need to do otherwise to succeed-- and read endless walls of text. Reading the text is more or less just a chore, as opposed to an interesting plot driver, once you realize that nothing you say matters in terms of what comes next. Totally linear, totally simple, totally boring. Skip this one if you have anything better to do at all. Expand
  5. Jul 26, 2013
    Obviously, the game doesn't deserve a zero. Let's reserve zeroes for games that are released in an alpha state or are just well-disguised computer viruses. I want to like Shadowrun Returns, I really do. I was looking forward to this game for the full month before it came out, and while I was never a die-hard Shadowrun fan, I've always loved CRPGs, grit, grime, and sci-fi.

The
    emphasis there should go on the CRPG part. I was looking forward to reliving the wonder of my youth, playing Fallout and Fallout 2, owning a character, exploring a filthy wasteland. You know, that sort of thing. I was also looking forward to well-written dialogue, colorful characters, and maybe the occasional voice-acting on an important NPC. What I got was absolutely none of that. Literally, none.

Gameplay. Okay. Well, the gameplay is good. It has XCOM written all over it, and I loved that game. But even XCOM was more open-world than this. Shadowrun Returns doesn't even attempt to give you any sense of freedom or choice, not even the proper illusion of control, it just straight-up demands that you take it by the hand and be lead through a guided tour.

Playing this game brought on an increasing sense of claustrophobia, as I kept waiting for the "big reveal" in the story, the point where you're let off the chain and allowed to forge your own path on the dark streets of Seattle, or maybe explore the outside and meet tribes (I was a shaman, it was cool). But no. Never happened. And the closer I got to realizing this, the more angry and disappointed I felt.

The salt on the wound was the heinous, purple-prose writing I had to endure. I was being bombarded constantly by characters giggling and tittering and being "my bestest pals ever" despite the fact that I found them obnoxious, and really, the worst of all, moments where the writer's description of what the character is doing actually ECLIPSES the dialogue itself.

This isn't to say the writing is always bad, some of it is decent, and the core plot structure is ace. But some fanboy/fangirl on the staff was way too jazzed to be there, and it comes through in the overseasoned roast that is some of the dialogue screens.

Speaking of which, as someone who always tags speech, invests in charisma, and likes getting the conversational upper hand, I was sorely pissed that despite the game having a ton of etiquette options, the whole thing is so damn short, I'm pretty sure some of them were actually missing. Like, you never got a chance to use it, at any point. I could be wrong, but I sure didn't see them.

The conclusion? This game failed to live up to what my expectations were, so hard. Even without that crushing disappointment tainting this review, I'd still give it no higher than a six for the hives-inducing purple prose and gameplay issues. Checkpoint saves, really? What the dude. And where's the loot system? And it took me like two hours to figure out how to swap equipment without buying something in a store!

Weren't you guys like 500% funded on kickstarter? This is seriously the best you can do? I guess it all went to just making the engine instead of a full-fledged game. Which is fine. Was also hoping for a NWN style multiplayer aspect. But no. Frowny face.

The game should be billed as a "Shadowrun single-player CRPG engine" not the "CRPG throwback nostalgia bender you've been waiting for, person between ages 24 and 40." I guess there's always those other titles being made in kickstarter.
  6. Jul 25, 2013
    It's a game designed with iOS in mind. UI is oversimplified. Moreover no manual save, no loot, no inventory, in a freaking RPG. All in all it seems very lackluster with the goal of being a quick money grab.
  7. Jul 25, 2013
    I am sorry but this game is utter crap. Its like a linear graphic novel with no impact on the story or choice in the dialogue. The interface is made for tablets and doesn't work well at all with the pc. The combat is way too repetitive and offers little feeling of reward. Barely any customization at all. Certain playstyles are rewarded more than others meaning if you decide to play it not the way it was made for you are not going to have much fun. Expand
  8. Jul 26, 2013
    interesting design, good story elements, great nostalgia value, so why such a low score?

because i find myself not even wanting to play it due to the unreliability of the save system. playing for 25 minutes and have it crash? or suddenly need to shut down the game and leave? well get ready to lose all of your progress no matter what. no common autosaves or manual save function. (the
    ancient "save point" system was more reliable than this. i understand manual saves giving to much power to the player, but it's not hart to have a good auto-save system. look at dark souls, you can't exploit saves like in skyrim, but damn well wherever you are, you can quit and feel safe that you are going to pick up in the same spot without losing 20 minutes of gameplay.

heck, get to a new area with shops and stuff? better quit now, you can't adjust your stats and inventory before calling it quits.

it is just impossible to play this game comfortably when you don't know whether or not you are safe to play it, unless you have hours to dedicate. even then, it's unreliable for whenever you have to quit. just got to a new area, and going somewhere in half an hour? you can't be sure you'll be done it time. don't enjoy that sense of discomfort looming over your head do you?

all in all, a great game devastated by some unnaturally bad game mechanics.

recommend not buying unless they patch it.
  9. Jul 26, 2013
    I'm an old fan of the tabletop game and the Sega Genesis version of Shadowrun, both of which are amazing experiences.

Unfortunately, Shadowrun Returns is nowhere near those and is instead a linear, boring disappointment. Where to begin... How about the fact that this game takes what should be an open world experience and turns it into a graphic novel where you occasionally point and
    click and your character shoots stuff. Why did they feel the need to gut the tabletop rule-set? Are you telling me a computer can't handle some dice rolls? Why are there vast amounts of Cyberware and weapons missing from the game? How hard is it to implement Bioware when the exact description of the rules is available in old source books? Why is the matrix far more complex is in the 19 year old Genesis version? Why does Shadowrun have HITPOINTS?!

I feel that the developers were either lazy or incompetent. Instead of designing a linear piece of trash, they should have given us an engine with the underlying source book rule-set. Hell, they could have completely skipped the campaign and just really given us an open world to build with.

This game simply went in the wrong direction. Imagine a Shadowrun game using the Sleeping Dogs engine but with all the character customization of the tabletop game. That would give us a living breathing city in which we could craft our stories. You could steal a car, you could mug a civilian, you could do a run on a coporation, you could blow up your enemies apartment provided you were able to find it, etc...

Instead we're given lifeless level after lifeless level. The entire engine is flawed because it is based on hand designing every scene rather than giving us a useful framework and useful npc AI.

The only saving graces are the somewhat entertaining writing (of which there is an abundance) and the music.

Here's a breakdown:
    1. You can't save the game, you just have to play for an hour and hope that somewhere in there the game auto saved (if you missed the split second notification).
    2. Your choices mean absolutely nothing except perhaps losing or gaining a few point of karma.
    3. The world is not alive. Npc's stand exactly where they are placed and do nothing but wait for the player to speak to them (or shoot at them). The streets are not packed with people as they should be.
    4. The rules are typical crpg garbage. They had a chance to easily implement tabletop and they chose not to.
    5. The art is disney-esque. I distinctly remember and preferred the gritty cyberpunk art of the books.
    6. The list of shortcoming goes on for ages but it isn't worth continuing.

Listen chummer, if you want a real taste of Shadowrun, get an emulator and play the Sega Genesis version, it is somehow far more open world than this drek.
  10. Jul 25, 2013
    This game is nothing but an XCOM enemy unknown clone and a bad one at that. The story is incredibly predictable, linear and there is no depth whatsoever. The game doesn't even have a save ability outside of an autosave that happens maybe once every 30 minutes to an hour. It is not worth anyone money unless you enjoy bad cloned iphone games.
  11. Jul 26, 2013
    Tabletop and Sega Genesis player here. This game has me pretty pissed off. As many others have noted--it is LINEAR. Wtf? I was so excited that I even survived the first few missions thinking it was a railroad track tutorial, but that the world eventually open up in glory. I even thought there might be the ability to talk to a Johnson and do a matrix run to farm some infos after I unlocked the main base, because, like a fool, I rolled a Decker. Totally disappointed. Boring boring boring. Roll a Troll Samurai with a shotgun to speed up the train to the inevitable, and disappointing, end of the game. I rate this a "1" because it is yet another Kickstarter bull$hit game so some burned out has-beens can ruin a great idea/franchise with poor, shallow implementation. The only reason it even got a "1" is because it put me in the mood to play the Sega Genesis version for the millionth time (and still enjoy). BOO. Expand
  12. Jul 26, 2013
    This game is dreadful. It takes linear gaming to new, never before seen levels, has extremely dull and simplistic combat, and because it has no manual save system, if you die and go back to a checkpoint, you'll have to reassign any karma points you had since spent. Just about the only positive thing I can say about it and the reason I didn't give it an even lower score is that the writing is actually good, and because with the editor maybe someone somewhere might make a story good enough to suffer through the dreary combat again. Expand
  13. Jul 28, 2013
    I paid twenty dollars and all I got was a tablet game. I'm disappointed so many reviews are giving the main campaign a pass and scoring the game on all this imaginary user created content that doesn't actually, and may never, exist. Also surprising is the lack of mention of the tremendous amount of grammatical and spelling errors. I've seen better freshman level writing projects. The most worrying thing is this game is the result after they got almost 5x the original asking price of 400k. I'd hate to see the version they would have pieced together for that much, since this is literally a tablet game. It probably would have been in adobe flash. Expand
  14. Jul 30, 2013
    If you remember those isometric games of old, the games like "Fallout 2" or "Baldur's Gate" and remember them with fondness, then this is MOST CERTAINLY not a game for you, as it lacks quite a bit of vital characteristics of aforementionet games, such as player's freedom of actions, multiple side quests, comfortable user interface, captivating gameplay and, for God's sake, decent plot.

If you tried to play those games again in the recent years and found it to be tedious and prefer the more up-to-date game quality like "Skyrim" or "Fallout: New Vegas", then this is STILL not a game for you, as it most obviously lacks anything resembling a decent graphical engine.

If you are feeling nostalgic, then DON'T try this game at all, as if you do, you will risk a massive blood loss through eyes bursting due to uncontrollable fit of rage and aversion.
  15. Jul 28, 2013
    No manual saving. No VO. No choices with actual impact. Short. Mediocre combat thats a bad knockoff of XCOM. Poor writing with exposition dump load screens
  16. Jul 27, 2013
    Really disappointed with this game. I'd say the worst thing about this game is that it's totally linear, I haven't played an RPG that was as on rails as this one ever (other than some Final Fantasy type rpgs). Dialogue choices have no impact on story other than occasionally allowing you to skip some task if you have a high enough attribute point. Almost no side quests and the ones available have no impact on the story. Really no way to do anything other than follow the story.

Character customization is also not very fulfilling. Leveling up my character was boring and most of the time I didn't even bother with it and it didn't seem to matter. The system was designed so that the characters are classless but I found that it just made all the characters bland.

There's no loot and the items and cybernetics you can buy are uninspired and feel mostly the same. Obviously there's a difference between a shotgun and an SMG but between the 3 or 4 different weapon in the same class they all feel and look the same.

Tactical battles are also boring and don't really need any tactics to succeed. For the most part I had no problem just shooting at people to win battles, no need to take cover or use support characters or do anything tactical.

The matrix seemed tacked on last minute only because it was promised in the Kickstarter. There are only a few instances where the matrix is accessible and they are forced on you at those time. I found it to be the same as tactical battles, boring with no real point. For something so central to the Shadwrun world to glossed over in this way is very disappointing.

On the upside the writing for this game is great and the map editor will allow for a lot of community generated content but I feel like the foundations of the gameplay just aren't there so that no matter how much content is available it just won't be fun. Overall I feel like I would have been better off buying a Shadowrun novel or re-reading Neuromancer.

Also lack of a manual save is dumb and the fact that they tried to say that this feature would have been too expensive is lame.
  17. Jul 28, 2013
    This game is awful. It had an initial budget goal of $400,000 on Kickstarter with 8 staffers working on it. It raised $1.8 MILLION dollars on Kickstarter alone, not even counting presales on Steam! And they increased their staff from 8 to 30. Yet we are still stuck with a game that doesn't resemble the Sega, SNES, or Pen and Paper version of Shadowrun at all. So how can it be Shadowrun Returns!? It can't be! It has NO save option other than autosave. The vanilla campaign takes ~8 hours for someone halfway competent with clicking a mouse to complete. The storyline is completely on rails. In other words, there is nothing else you can do but what you must do next. You HAVE to click on this spot, then go to this person, then exit the room cause there's nothing else for you to do. The game has like 3 sets of spells, lightning, acid, fire. That's it. There is the crudest crappiest verson of 'The Matrix' available. Take the rest of the turn based world you see and make it blue instead. Very disappointing.

It comes with an editor tho! So, while I know you wanted a game. Here's a chore.
  18. Jul 28, 2013
    This game is absolutely awful it's just like any other RPG tactic Indie game. Nothing special to this game, just your average game, I was pumped for this game when it was first released after all the hype of the trailers, screenshots, and many other factors I was ready but it was a major let down I want a refund for this game. All these good reviews are mediocre gamers that never experienced a real tactics game. Expand
  19. Jul 26, 2013
    Interesting game, I love the isometric graphics. However the save system is a deal breaker. Spending 20 mins talking to npcs, spending "Karma"(experience/customization points) and not being able to save is ludicrous. It works for an adventure game but not for an RPG. It's pity because, like most Shadowrun fans, I was really looking forward to this tittle.

If you often have to leave your
    computer and hate to redo dialog and character customization don't buy this game. Expand
  20. Jul 26, 2013
    That's all?!?

As a kickstarter backer I'm just appalled at how skimpy this offering turned out. I downloaded it and played it through, completing every optional objective and sidemission (of which there were like 2!) in 10 hours.

This is a point-and-click adventure game with meaningless dialogue (Nothing you say alters any outcome, with a couple minor exceptions) supported by a
    combat mini-game and a laughable inventory system. Completely on-rails story, forget about a sandbox, there isn't even a quest-hub system in place, or world map or... anything.

People who enjoy modding games who also still play pen-and-paper Shadowrrun might wind up enjoying this game when the "community" gets around to actually creating content for it, but no one else is going to find their money well-spent upon purchasing this title. Caveat emptor.
  21. Jul 26, 2013
    The game, had potential, and I absolutely love turn based RPG games, especially ones that are like fallout or x-com ishy style.

To bad this game is neither, the turn base combat engine is ok, but really they should feel ashamed for the poor to use UI, and lack of options. 20 year old turn based isomentric combat games had better UI, and made the combat feel a lot more 'alive'. Not to
    mention how for instance the new x-com turn based engine shows how a good UI should be done. This is none of the above.

Storyline is linear, and falls flat on it's face. Some of the text is ok to read, but really if you are used to reading good books. This isn't one of those. Compared to some other video game text/stories it is overall ok. For 1.2million budget they could have had some voiceovers on important characters/plot events maybe, just to give the game a bit of a not 20 years old feel.

Nothing redeeming about this game at all really, if you are looking for a turn based RPG combat game. Go get the old x-com, or Jagged Alliance, or BG, or one of the many other games from the 90's. Most of them have, better interface, better graphics and better storyline.

After looking on Metacritic I can tell what they did spend all the extra money on, creating sock puppet accounts to vote 9/10 and 10/10 for this obvious game that any sane person would never give over a 7 for.
  22. Jul 27, 2013
    It would be great, unfortunately, it's id***-friendly improvements, mentioned many times: checkpoints! UNLIMITED AMMO! It's only 1/100 of what it could be.
  23. Jul 26, 2013
    While I support the developers for returning to the isometric turn based RPGs, I'm very disappointed with the result. The game is 100% linear. Your choices don't matter. You have to replay the same scene (up to 30 minutes) after you had to close the game due to RL distractions or simply not feeling like continue playing at the moment. I'm going to wait a couple of months for at least the save anywhere functionality. For now I will just uninstall it. Expand
  24. Jul 27, 2013
    I just finished the game. The ending story is nice but the ending itself was poorly done. The game is too easy all along. There's no replay value to the main story since it's so damn linear. Kill forward kill. It's a game built for consoles. I'm pretty sure they're going to release this on xbox and such and that's probably why it's so easy. The UI is oversimplified. The combat gets very repetitive once you got the moves down. The buffing system is annoying as hell, with rebuffs every few turns. Expand
  25. Jul 28, 2013
    I gave this game an honest 4. It isn't a 0 as it is not a disaster but there is no way it is a 10. There are much better games out there that are similiar that deserve a 10. While it is good that an indy and kickstarter game has made it, it is really dissapointing for their budget with what else is out there.

Pros:
    -Writing and unique immerison are farily good
    -Skill point
    differential allows for different playthroughs and dialogue
    -Different races and interactions with characters is nice
    -Game world backdrops are nicely drawn (eventhough you can't interact)
    -It's in Seattle where I live

Cons:
    -Story is completley linear, just a point and click adventure
    -Combat is very poor, repetitive, and straight forward.Also very easy
    -Classes are meaningless as guns rule the game
    -No open world (just clarify as it kinda impies it is)
    -Equipment/guns are really limited, you will only change it about three times in the 10 hour game
    -Checkpoint save only. It doesnt make it harder it just makes it annoying
  26. Jul 30, 2013
    Having played 2 Shadowruns (SNES and Sega) I was really excited about this since it was announced last year. Very sad to see the game turned out to be way less than what I expected. This game is boring, *very* linear, without any incentive for replay, and the dialogue trees doesn't affect very much the outcome of the game. Shadowrun on the Genesis is way, way better despite it being 20 years old
  27. Jul 30, 2013
    I can not fathom why this game is getting so many good reviews. In my opinion this game is more of a monumental failure.

First up is the save system. I know I am not the only one but I guess there aren’t enough of us that dislike a checkpoint system to make a difference in the global video game market. I am not sure what the reason for this idea is, I hope it is not replay value.
    Because I can tell you there are games I have NOT purchased solely because of a checkpoint system, in addition, when I do accidentally buy a game with one, all I want to do is get my money back. I can not stress enough how much I detest the idea of restarting and entire level because I want to try a conversation a different way, or was one point of charisma away from using a charisma check in a conversation. I did not do enough research into the game before I purchased it, but if I did I may have just skipped this one all together. The idea of an RPG with this type of save system is preposterous. Harebrained confesses they did not have the money to implement a proper save system. This is a piss poor excuse for laziness, incompetence or a complete lack of prioritization. Graphically, the game is beautiful, so obviously some money and time could have been spared in this department.

Second, inventory and drops. Again I say..R P G.. I must have been sleeping because I missed the boat that took the idea of inventory out of a role playing game. When did this become a good idea? Even brain science supports the idea that video game addiction is based on a constant reward system.. WHY take it out?!?!? Additionally, when I frag a ganger, I want the satisfaction of striping his armor and weapon and selling it. It makes me feel better for the insolence he paid me when he tried to kill me!

Third up. This game is so linear it hurts, add to that this game is supposed to be... you guessed it, an RPG!!! The developers put corners into the game.. congratulations by the way. But the game would have not suffered one bit if they had made every level a straight line. I’m not sure why they tried to mask it with corners, maybe weak minded non Jedi types are easily fooled by such farcical attempts to add depth to an environment. The truth is there is nothing between point A and point B, no loot, and maybe one side side quest that will take you two seconds to complete.

Fourth. Writing and plot. I have to confess the Narrative, or the way the story line is told, is remarkable. The flowerful writing used to describe the environments, characters, states of being. It is truly visionary. There is no audio at all in this game so every word needs to be read, and I enjoyed every moment of it. It was a pleasure to “read” this game. The story line and plot however are surprisingly simple. For example, when I discovered who the Emerald City Killer was I was a bit taken back that the plot was so simple. I had in essence, gone from the feeling of reading a really good novel, to suddenly reading a child’s book.

To sum up, I guess I have been offended and feel cheated. I LOVED the snes version of this game, and was hoping for something grand and nostalgic. Something reminiscent of what a real RPG could be and what gaming used to be about. It seems like everyone is just out to make a quick buck. Max the sales with minimum effort, "go with the averages and we can't fail." Harebrained will be an excellent candidate for EA membership. This game may have been better if they just called it Call of Duty 16: Shadowrun Returns.

Amph
  28. Jul 31, 2013
    Games like this make me wonder what criteria professional reviewers grade on. This may be the most linear RPG I have ever played. There is absolutely no chance to wander around and experience the Shadowrun world in any way. The gameplay sticks you in a claustrophobic section of town, and you are never for a second in doubt of what to do next, because you have no say in the matter. Any choices you have as a player are irrelevant, the classes are just different glosses on two basic concepts, and for all of this at the end, all you get is some chitchat style dialogue and a page of text to read. I'm not interested in waiting around for the community to turn this game into something better, there's just not enough to work with. Uninstalling. Expand
  29. Jul 29, 2013
    5 biggest NO of Shadowrun Returns: no open world, no loot, no save, unlimited ammo (O, no!), no matrix (and don't even tell me that i am wrong, matrix here is just identity xcom fight system)
  30. Aug 1, 2013
    Shadowrun Returns is a very poor game. I feel bad for folks who threw their support behind this game and myself for throwing an extra $5 at it.
    The bad:
    1. It's buggy. I've had to reload a map twice now due to uncompletable bugs.
    2. The story is weak. It could have had some depth, but it falls way short.
    3. It's very short. There doesn't seem to be any secrets or easter eggs so you can
    blow through this in 5 hours or so.
    4. Documentation is terrible. In-game documentation is sometimes cut off. There are incompatible skill trees that are completely undocumented. I'm currently running with 17 wasted "karma" points due to an incompatible skill tree that I couldn't know of beforehand. Online documentation is limited as well.
    5. Clunky interface. Nothing is clear, everything requires clicks. Basically you're buying a tablet game even on the pc.

The good:
    1. The editor. Hopefully the community will make the game they should have made.
    2. Although short, there is absolutely no grind. There's not even travel for the most part, just pure action which leads to a lot of bang for your 5 hours.
    3. The hand painted art is great. Gritty atmosphere without being too dark to see.

Conclusion:
    In the end they were paid a lot of money to do a minor Unity engine build so the community can build the game they want with a shabby interface. Does it have potential, yes. But from the community, they don't deserve full price.
  31. Jul 28, 2013
    Been a fan of Shadowrun since early 90's and was looking forward to this game. As I can forgive the straightforward story where player only controls the fights, the worst thing in this game is that there is no save game option. So basic thing in gaming and devs "forgot" to include it.
  32. Jul 30, 2013
    Only one word can describe Shadowrun Returns: underwhelming. The gameplay of the included campaign is extremely linear. The mechanics are simplistic. There is no multiplayer support. The player can't even save when he wants, as the game uses a checkpoint system. The checkpoints could actually be better described as chapters in a book. As this isn't really a game so much as it's an interactive novel.

Browsing any forum related to this game will reveal a common hope that Shadowrun fans cling to: player-made content. In fact, I've often read about comparisons to Neverwinter Nights. These people say, "well, Neverwinter Nights had a disappointing campaign, but the mod community made the game a success!" This thought process, while it does has some merit, is rather weak. First of all, Neverwinter Nights was a success because the game shipped with an interface that allowed an electronic simulation of pen-and-paper Dungeons and Dragons. It had a strong toolset for creating content, but more importantly, it had multiplayer support with the ability for one player to play host as a gamemaster. This gamemaster could create content on the fly and direct a campaign with multiple players, thus simulating the pen-and-paper experience. Shadowrun Returns does none of this.

There are no current plans to introduce multiplayer support with Shadowrun Returns. It's possible down the road, of course, but in the meantime, the most modders will be able to accomplish is to create single-player stories.

Furthermore, from what I can tell, the game editor is not as strong as some fans are claiming. From the FAQ on the Steam forums:

"The editor does not support the creation of whole new skills, archetypes or gameplay mechanics although you could fake some of the latter with triggers and dialogue (such as adding a workbench for modifying weapons use dialogue to interact with it and triggers to remove the old weapon from the player's inventory and add a newer version)."

Players will be able to add their own 2D art assets though. But I'm not sure that this will be enough to keep people interested.

All in all, if it were possible for a digital game to collect dust, I'd expect this one would be buried in a few months time.
  33. Jul 30, 2013
    Game is far too short, about 8 hours to complete it.
    The Tactical combat part is dull and far too easy and basic, not really tactical in fact.
    The Shadowrun universe is partly there, but all that make the game what it is is gone. Magic and Matrix are very badly representated, the skill system is gone and replaced by a diablo II clone. The scenario is interesting but cliche and is just
    not working in Shadowrun world (Invulnerable True Spirit not chasing player in the astral or even to the back street )
    A very disappointment that could have been potential.

The innability of the developper to manage permanent area or save game, will seriously curtail any attempt at providing interesting player made content.

Dont buy it, it is not 20$ worth... About 5$ worth for the 8 hours long demo, not a cents more. And please remove the Shadowrun Tag on it, there is no Shadowrun in the game engine.
  34. Aug 4, 2013
    What a letdown. The idea is pretty great a top down Shadowrun RPG, the first of its kind in the electronic world since the since the SNES and Genesis days. Unfortunately, what has been released a game barely qualifies as such. The campaign is minimal, perhaps 12 hours long. The interface is clunky, and it feels antiquated in many ways. One button click to control everything? It was designed for mobile devices, and it shows. Worst of all is the lack of a manual save feature don't want to play an entire map? Tough. Expand
  35. Aug 2, 2013
    I love tactical strategy games and i love the cyberpunk style in games. Shadowrun Returns has it all, but is simply boring. There is no depth in the skill tree's, no voice acting and from start to end of the only main story it's simply boring. I was thinking it's only the start and i had to hang on to see the full potential of the game.. but after 3-4 boring hours of simple, non tactic gameplay... THE GAME ENDS! NO MORE CONTENT! I was reading some reviews about this game before and i cannot get it.. 1.8 millions via Kickstarter and this is the end product? extremely disapointing.. Give me the half of that budget and i make a better game, really.. Expand
  36. Aug 22, 2013
    As a long time fan of the western RPG genre, and a man who has replayed titles such as Fallout 1 and it's sequel, Arcanum, and Baldurs Gate over and over again, I see this game as a poor attempt at a game.

How is it that games that came a long time ago could offer a more sophisticated playing experience than this game is beyond me. No save feature made me have to go through the same
    uninspired dialogue options over multiple times, only to realize it didn't matter which one I picked. The game is on rails and makes no attempt at disguising the fact.

You can tell an NPC that "you want to", "sort of want to", or "have no choice" when presented with a quest, which makes the entire role playing segments devoid of meaning. It matters little who you are when an entirely different person would have done the same. Expect no replayability from this one.

Also, one cannot simply copy the modern reincarnation of X-COM's battle system, dumb it down, and expect a great final product. Whenever you fight anyone and anything in this game, prepare yourself to be dulled; it takes an obscene amount of time to complete an action, the hit and miss percentages are broken, and the animations are some of the more horrid I have seen since 2002.

However, this game has a great feature that most of the reviewers seem to miss; if you go to the game folder, there seems to be an application near the tool-set named "uninstall". Click on it, and pour yourself a five of gin. Just forget this game ever happened.
  37. Jul 28, 2013
    The release of this game just made me sad. I saw it pop up on the steam store page and I'm like "Oh they made a sequel to that FPS game," but nope it's an rpg. I thought this was going to follow the cross-platform FPS that was really cool, but this is supposed to be like some really old Shadowrun SNES game. What a letdown
  38. Aug 1, 2013
    This review is mainly for the campaign that is included with the game. While the game mechanics themselves are above average, the campaign is WAY too short.
    About 10 hours including EVERYTHING you can do in this campaign (which is, besides the totally linear railroaded mainquest a whooping 2!! sidequests).
    NO dialogue decisions you make change the outcome in any way, maybe you get a
    little bit more experience for one answer over another. The plot is absolutely predictable.
    On the positive end, some characters are well written (while others are atrocious).
    Some of the character classes you can make are absolutely useless in the campaign (Deckers for example. There is i think...3 missions that include decking, and those can easily be done by one of the NPC followers. So, if you make a Decker for this campaign, you are basically out of luck.
    A few words on game mechanics: Firearms of all sorts are extremely overpowered compared to magic or melee. A Street Samurai that specializes on ranged combat blasts through the whole thing without even breaking a sweat. Combat is too simplified for my taste, its like a budget version of xcom with 90% of the options removed.
  39. Aug 13, 2013
    There is no way this game deserves an average rating of 7.6. Sooo many gushy reviews by fanboys. At best, this game is average, and I don't think it even reaches that high.

I was a fan of the original SNES shadowrun game myself, so I was somewhat excited about this one. The SNES game was dark, edgy, could be intense, and fun. This game, in contrast, is a real snoozer. You're literally
    tasked with reading a novel 90% of the time with mediocre gameplay for the remaining 10%.

That's all this game is: it is a slightly interactive choose-your-own-adventure storybook. Except in those storybooks your choices actually matter unlike this game! And I'm sorry, this story in Shadowrun Returns is terrible. It's corny and cheesy. if you think the story in this game is actually good, you lead a very sheltered life, and you probably masturbate to anime pr0n.

The game has high production quality as far as graphics, but the game is just not any fun at all to play. I would've much rather had a shadowrun game with crap graphics that is 80-90% action and fun to play than this turd. Overall this game is a complete disappointment and a failure. I couldn't even finish it and I have no desire to do so.
  40. 19x
    Aug 19, 2013
    Looks and plays like a 10 year old PC game you would find in a bargain bin.

Absolutely no variety in combat. Guns, magic, and the matrix all play the same way. The "Matrix" is the same combat system as the real world. Programs are spells, the bad guys are ICE.

To call this game tactical is a joke. Combat plays like a boxing match I hit you hit me. No need to position your
    team. Weapon choices matter little. Shotguns are effective from across the room

The interface is point and click, but it struggles to work correctly. Often failing to find the click point of a item or a target. The entire game feels slow. Moving your character, going from rooms to room, feels slow.

Really sad the bench mark for this game is a 1994 SNES or a 1995 Gensis game, and shadow runs returns fails to surpass it.
  41. Oct 18, 2013
    Shadowrun Returns is like a Big Mac. Some people think that a Big Mac is the most delicious burger in the world. The people who know better know that it's not.

Now if you are here you are probably wondering why a game with almost 500 positive reviews have 100 negative ones. That's 1 negative for every 5 positives btw. If so, then I have one word for you, just one word: "fanboys". The
    metacritic score is of 75 is so far away from my experience that I made a metacritic accounting specifically to give this game a 3/10.

This is supposed to be an RPG. Not a tabletop engine (which sucks anyway because so many limitations are hardcoded and cannot be changed through the modkit.)

The campaign lasted me only 5-6 hours? and has 1 or 2 sidequests. This is fine if you are one of those who think that the Ipad is the best platform for an RPG. If so, stop reading now and buy the game. You will love it. Then, please email HBS and tell them that they are gods and they should quit developing anything for anything other than Android and IOS. If you have ever played any RPGs on any other platform that is heavier than two pounds, read on.

The story is poorly written. The story sounds like something written by a 15 year old and you should probably be able to tell how it's gonna end by the time you get 1/3 into the campaign. Those reviewers who applauded the story must have never read a decent novel. They probably also think that Jean Claude Van Damme's movies have such good plot twists, because the plot of the campaign is on the same level as the plot of the Expendables 2. The dialogue lines are as campy as Jean-Claude's lines from ANY of his movies.

Classes, races, and "etiquette" do not matter. "Oh hey you're a security guy, let me buy that from you for 1000 instead of 500" pretty much sums it up.

Interface is severely clunky. Have to click everything? Yes indeed. You have to click multiple times to do things like equip a medpack or whatever they call it.

Weapons do not matter. Anything can kill anything else. Don't like having a weapon? Doesn't matter either. You can kill anything in the game with your fists if you want.

No ammunition. this is 2013. They have magic guns in an RPG. Kudos. It's funny when you think about it, because mages consume mana, but rocket launchers shoot forever!

Oh yeah, the character models in the game are a little on the poor side, which I wouldn't mind if the campaign was non-linear and more open world, with a bunch of side quests and a good storyline, but it doesn't.

I did like the pet behavior, but I don't wanna add any spoilers so you'll have to figure that one out yourself when you summon one.
  42. Nov 11, 2013
    Linear, only autosave, XCom clone, made for smartphones. That's about it.

I really, really love the artstyle though, and I just hope the Berlin campaign will improve everything, but since it's an iOS game and the devs are clearly focused on casual players and a quick cash grab, I highly doubt it.
  43. Aug 19, 2013
    Returned, but should have stayed buried. The originals were much more open-ended, had better save systems. No ammo? Pointless skills abound. Defenders keep talking about future player made content, but so what? We'll maybe get 1 or 2 stories that are worth playing..no to mention this isnt a rpg maker software, it is sold as a game
  44. Aug 8, 2013
    The game is pretty, but ultimately uninspiring. It's a very bitter example of missed opportunities. The gameplay is extremely linear. The save system is not very good, leading to having to replay long sequences after a death. There are very few opportunities to look around, explore, or discover. The use of text trees is pretty good, but it's unclear how much REAL effect most encounters will have.

The story itself is a bit shallow and cliche. It tries to be dark and deep but it never feels as dramatic and sincere and emotional as the setting has the potential to be.

At the end of the day, it's just not enjoyable. I don't feel particularly inspired to play. It is, in a word, boring, and that is completely the worst possible thing you could say about an RPG game.
  45. Aug 14, 2013
    Backed this on Kickstarter the moment it was announced, really hoping for something special. What I got was an over short tablet game, with occasional moments of near goodness being drowned out in a sea of bland. As other reviewers have pointed out the campaign suffers from a ridiculous amount of linearity, the save game system is poorly spaced checkpoint nonsense, and I wish they had put half as much effort into character models and portraits as they did into the rendered backdrops.

All of these problems should be fixable, and certainly they could turn around everything I dislike about the game in a good expansion pack/dlc campaign.But the game as it was released is a 4/10.
  46. Aug 20, 2013
    Good: Though I didn't finish the game, the plot seemed pretty well written. Bad: Tactics and saving. It's turn-based combat, but flanking or other combat tactics are not supported. Strat is, try to hide behind something, and blast away. The result is that the frustration of the random number generator builds with every enemy turn. Worse though, is the restricted saves that ruin the experience. I don't want to spend an hour getting 80% through a level only to die and have to start over. Sorry, fail. I put up with it for quite a while, 17 hours according to Steam, but in the end, too much frustration to "restart level" once more. Expand
  47. Aug 9, 2013
    Had a lot of glaring issues with this game. 1. Combat. Shotguns can snipe with no difficulty while melee weapons miss 50% of the time and doing piss-poor damage unless you're really specced into the stuff. 2. UI. It really feels like this game is meant for a phone and just like the next guy, If I can figure out just from that It's a port, It's a badly done port. 3. Linearity. I played this game quite a bit with two characters before giving up on It about half-way in due to the throbbing cancerous tumor that Is the path of the railroad. Any content that is not connected to your main story is VERY insignificant. The furthest away I got was when I came to a crime-scene (second time, I had to reload because my character blocked the NPC and broke my save) with a hobo outside, wanting his blanket. I bribed the guard with some junkfood, snuck in, took whatever junk I was supposed to get (hard to follow a story written by a 5-year old) and also stole the hobo's junk, including his blanket without giving it to him as I left the crime-scene. I fancied my character being the fearless flea-filled caped crusader with a huge pair of sh!t-stained diapers that roams the night, ruining all misdoer picnics with his huge lack of personal hygiene.

It all backfired later though when I got enough money to buy a gasmask with a hose that led straight to my butthole.
  48. Aug 15, 2013
    I LOVE the Shadowrun universe and have been a fan for 18 years, but turn-based combat should be left for the pen and paper, it is tedious and boring as a video game; We have the ability to bake in those mechanics into the code. (ex. instead of AP and movement space, you can create action timers and movement speeds to create real-time combat that reflect if a character is fast or slow, clumsy or nimble, etc.). Please don't make me suffer through 10 minutes of a gunfight that should take 30 seconds.

I really would have enjoyed the game more if it had been built more like the open-world action RPG that was launched for the Sega Genesis wayyy back in 94'. The depth of the character level-up system, the endless amount of runs, the ability to just surf through the Matrix whenever, hiring a dedicated team of runners and specializing them....it is actually the reason I started playing the pen and paper version! Alas, there is none of that to be found in this title.

Also, the storyline was incredibly linear (although very well done), and I felt like I was just clicking here and there to advance a story book rather than playing a game and controlling the outcome. There were extremely few ways to earn extra money or karma, and since the enemies just kept scaling I didn't feel like I was "preparing" for the next big challenge, I more felt like I was just spending karma to "keep up" with where the storyline was forcing me to go. I even got in trouble sometimes because I would spend karma incorrectly or not hire enough runners, trying to save up for goodies, only to get stuck because I couldn't go back once I had traveled to the next location for the storyline. I even had to start over once because of it. Horrible gameplay mechanics.

The Matrix was pretty lackluster as well, it was just too easy to get done what you needed to in the Matrix. Both the pen and paper and action-RPG version of Shadowrun turned the Matrix into a place exclusively for deckers, that was challenging and required a ton of specialization to use correctly, but was extremely rewarding to master if you did. In this title, you are hand-held through the "mandatory" Matrix runs and don't really benefit from spending points in it. The lingo is dumbed down to appeal to the masses instead of retaining some of its true-to-life computer terminology. Combating IC is just as boring as regular combat. It was just a huge letdown, especially since I use the decker class in other Shadowrun games.

Lastly, I have to nag on the graphics. They were just WAY too cartoon-ish. The Shadowrun universe is dark and scary, full of seedy characters and dangerous creatures, and leaves you feeling uneasy about doing the simplest things, similar to the vibes of Diablo. I think even a small child would have difficulty feeling scared or nervous with how it is illustrated currently.

I really wanted this game to succeed, because it could lead to better Shadowrun titles in the future that fix all the problems with this one, but I highly doubt that the public will give it another go after 2 botched games in a row for the Shadowrun series. Harebrained might have buried the series once and for all
  49. i0n
    Sep 4, 2013
    Overall a very disappointing title despite the humble purchase price.

Engaging storyline and intricate setting is strangled to death by a flat and awkward combat/movement system, convoluted user interface, entirely linear gameplay and clunky mechanics. It felt as though I was stepping back in time about two decades, but without any of the nostalgia.

The only positive I can offer is
    that the provided campaign wasn't any longer than it's humble 10-15 hour play time, as I found myself gritting my teeth in frustration by about half way through. The strategy component was virtually non-existent and the gameplay most tedious.

I really wanted to like this title particularly as the setting happens to be one of my favourite genres but it was genuinely difficult to find any redeeming features.

Regretful of this purchase.
  50. Sep 12, 2013
    Please, before you consider buying this game view http://www.shadowrun.com/forums/categories/tech-corner, the tech support on the official forums.

This game is full of bugs. I purchased this game on steam on August 16th, and still can't play it because the 1.04 patch causes an access violation for some people. Unfortunately, this patch was released just before I purchased it (lucky me
    lol). To make things worse, an access violation is a programming error until the developer decides to patch this, I can't play it. I take C++ programming classes and have fiddled with games for years, so believe me when I say I've done everything to get the game to work. I sent an e-mail to the developers the day after I bought the game, over a month ago. They responded, saying they were aware of the problem and were working on it. I have bought games since the original NES, and I can deal with minor bugs. Heck, I enjoyed Alpha Protocol, and that was fairly buggy. But it is painfully obvious that this game (and recent patch) were barely tested.

This game gets a 0 based on the fact that when I buy a release version of a game I expect it to at the very least run. Even if I could get it to run, it would likely still score only a 3 based on all the other goofy bugs still present in it. I really need to check more tech support forums before I buy games.

Bottom line: Before you go and get this, do yourself a favor and check the tech support forum, then if you really still want this do not buy it for the listed $20 on steam, wait for a sale. And even then, don't pay over $5. Save that cash for saints row 4 or go get XCOM: Enemy Unknown if you need some turn based strategy.
  51. Sep 20, 2013
    Horrible quality game. Inventory screen displays your gear differently depending on which NPC is used to open it. Gear of the same category have practically no diversity, you do not even get smart-link gear until the last mission. Matrix combat is horribly unbalanced, Pet types never have their main differences explained like if they are single use or not. Pets never show their abilities or stats until used which for some pets makes you use it up. No random missions to side quest with. No random matrix runs. I have found 1 complete side quest/job, just 1. Social Options do not seem to be randomized at all, you either have a stat and automatically get the NPC to do whatever you ask or you don't and you always fail. Sharing gear with allies means that they steal the gear and never return them. You can't give your allies better guns from your inventory even if they have empty slots to equip more.
    Immersion issues: "Burnt Out Mages" and some other NPCs have Cyberware yet unaffected 6 essence.
    My review is based on expected vs delivered and if I would recommend this to my family and friends, the answer is that I hope none of them waste their money on this game that is the worse I have seen any Shadowrun Product.
  52. Aug 7, 2013
    Bad writing is and forever will be bad writing and Shadowrun Returns is just plain and simply poorly written. This might not be such a big problem if it weren't for it being the story that the developers intended to carry this work (the gameplay certainly can't) and as it stands it really drags the whole experience down.
  53. Jan 29, 2014
    Aside from nostalgia that drives some attention to this game thanks to his old fans, It's looks like an unfinished indie game with boring linear quest line. I backed this on kickstarter due to my interest in cyberpunk genre and it's history. But the game is barely worth your money and your time if you have better things to do.

Here's couple of things I remember from playing it last
    summer:

- No voice acting, you just click on speeches with no atmospheric sound or any consequence to story or gameplay whatsoever.

- There are no puzzles, no sidequests and cutscenes, anything. It's like half of the content is missing from the game.

- It's not worth 20.00$ - 10$ tops for me.

It's the same thing like the Baldur's Gate Enhanced edition series. People are just trying to milk your nostalgia without any decent work. BG2 EE crashes more than the pirate version and it costs 25$

These are all acceptable to a mobile gaming platform. But I think ye olde PC gamers deserves more than this rehashed crap.
  54. Dec 4, 2013
    What a wonderful idea... I backed it on Kickstarter. But, the game just doesn't run on my Linux machine at all and the developer's bug reporting system is haphazard so I have gotten no feedback about when it might actually run. For that matter, even though they advanced to the Linux version number more than half of their website still refers to the previous patch level. Another example of a developer pushing a game out half-baked and then failing to patch the game up to its level of promise. Expand
  55. Dec 1, 2013
    You a DIY or weekend warrior? Then I've got the game er campaign editor for you! Introducing Shadowrun Returns!

So you recall the snes and the genesis game of 94/95? Where you were dropped in an open world free to suit up and level up your favorite runners and make loads of credits! Well toss those memories out the window sir as Shadowrun Returns does none of those nostalgia things of
    decades past. Instead immerse yourself into hours of editing and trial an error as you try and make sense of the campaign editor! That's right kiddies, this here "Game" offers the player one campaign and the exclusive campaign editor "new models and textures later to be released via dlc packs". The main campaign "Dead man's switch" will run on average time of 12 hours, but it's an example by the developers to show what you the player can do.
    Reading before the launch of this it read like the old games of yesterday, however on launch it was a slap in the face as the game only has auto save, unlimited ammo limited mana, runners that aren't persistent, one road path, not open world, no random encounters, reading tons of pointless reading "don't get me wrong it was a cute story DMS" but nothing mattered, choices don't matter, dialogue doesn't matter, karma skill tree doesn't work, deckers are useless, guns rule, drawn out battles where if you fail guess what back to save point to swim through loads of texts all over again. The list goes on as to how this failed to be a game and became a choose your path story book editor.

It's real true to tabletop DM style, where as a DM designs a run and players come together and play the DM run. However I fail to see the market in tabletop players even bothering with this as paper and pen is a lot faster to design runs on the spot. What happened here was the snes and genesis players of yesterday all came together along with some tabletop backers and pushed the Kickstarter well beyond their expectations. The only bright side to this lackluster knock off is the art put into the design and a editor "whoopee".

1.8 million in Kickstarter and all they pushed out was an editor and above average design.

76 critic and a 7.5 user For an editor, that's a skewed rating if you ask me. It should be 65 critic above average and a neutral 5 user as it mainly depends on people to make campaigns for it. You do all the work but we'll take the credit for making such a awesome editor mentality.
  56. Apr 3, 2014
    A fairly flawed game that I wanted to like, but the controls are so clunky and slow, and the game so 1-dimensional that I can't give it better than a 4.
  57. Mar 19, 2014
    Interesting rpg but pretty average. No voice acting, limited choice of equipment, no sidequests, bad combat system where you miss half of the time. Can't say I enjoyed it much.

1. Oct 5, 2013
    Shadowrun Returns is a bit more simplistic than I had hoped for, but at the same time it is not bad at all. [Sept 2013]
  2. Sep 13, 2013
    Shadowrun Returns is a faithful reinterpretation (and in a vague sense, sequel) to the SNES game from 20 years ago, maybe a bit too faithful. Though most aspects of the the wild and unruly Shadowrun world is included, the promise of this game lies more in the open embrace of the mod community than the included adventure.
  3. Sep 10, 2013
    Shadowrun Returns will probably please most fans if perhaps not blow anyone out of the water. The campaign is well written and serves as a good introduction for new players. The variety in combat and character creation and dialogue options is great but suffers from a badly implemented autosave system. With lots of new campaigns on the horizon Shadowrun Returns is well worth keeping an eye on.