Shadowrun Returns PC

7.4

1. Jul 27, 2013
    This is a amazing game for all new and old Shadowrunner fans out there. This game is a rpg strategy game where the community makes missions/modules. So far there are some good community games and mods, but this game works like how the Elder Scrolls games work. The game is good but if you have a problem with the game then a mod needs to be found or created.

Some problems with the base

Some problems with the base game.
    -There is no quick save, so you will not be able to start back up in a mission if you have to leave. You have to get to a point where the game saves to continue.
    -You don't have to buy ammo for your weapons. Unlimited Ammo
    -There are no drops from dead people (mod to fix that!)
    -The customization made early in your character can be game defining or inconsequential depending on how much experience you get throughout the campaign
    -The tutorial for this game is terrible and you don't know what keys do what. You just know that the mouse works. There aren't great explanations for everything so alot of the time you just have to guess.

There are some great things about this game
    -It is shadowrun and therefore has a amazing setting of a mix of technology and magic set in a cyberpunk dystopian futuristic setting. (See the bottom I explain (gush) more about the setting)
    -There are/will be mods to fix the problems that you have.
    -Combat is simplistic enough to learn, but interesting enough to have strategy
    -The choices you make to improve your character do truly show in how your character plays and show the different classes in shadowrun fairly well. (That is without replicating shadowrun completely)
    -The introduction mission that comes installed with the game introduces you to most of the aspects of shadowrun and (little spoiler) some of the weirdest and scariest stuff/horrors in shadowrun.

I truly think this game is very good and anyone who likes rpgs with a strong story aspect (fluff) would love this game.

Some more info on the setting.
    The setting is a Cyberpunk dystopian futuristic setting with magic. The corporations now run the world and are basically their own counties. Only the rich have a say in the world and the poor are left in the streets dying, without help, and without citizenship. In comes you, a shadowrunner, someone who often is from the poor working your way up talking missions called shadowruns. These shadowruns can be anything from constant combat into a corporation enclave to sneaking in and causing sabotage or misdirection and more. You and your team are a inch from death and are constantly fighting to survive in this harsh place we call a world.
  2. Jul 27, 2013
    I have played the pen and paper version, never did so on any digital format, tried but the arcadish conTROLLs put me off. This game however has given me the sole chance to see the great franchise in a manageable digital form. Sure, the combat system may be a bit rough around the edges (line of sight issues) but it is truly amazing in itself. Heavy inspiration from the books can be sensedI have played the pen and paper version, never did so on any digital format, tried but the arcadish conTROLLs put me off. This game however has given me the sole chance to see the great franchise in a manageable digital form. Sure, the combat system may be a bit rough around the edges (line of sight issues) but it is truly amazing in itself. Heavy inspiration from the books can be sensed in the storytelling, the fact that it manages to capture the most important aspect of shadowrun is just astonishing. You run in the shadows, dodge corporate interests, collect favors and giri for missions to come while maintaining YOUr character as close as you can. GREAT writing, great, thought out story, and immense potential for future storytellers. Love it. So will you if you are not a mass effect/save the universe/destroy the empire kind of zombie. Haven't had so much fun with an cRPG since Fallout 2. Thank you creators, I'm your fan now, anxious to observe your next creation. Expand
  3. Jul 28, 2013
    Turn-based, tactical, silent protagonist (and silent everyone for that matter), relying on text descriptions to provide atmosphere, flavor and nuance...
    if those turn you off, then the game isn't for you. Otherwise you are probably going to love it.
    Some minor glitches (game locked up a few times for me) and the minor annoyance of how saves work keep it from getting a 10. The potential of the editor, however, raises it up from being an 8.

If you like the Shadowrun setting, or you miss how games used to play back in the 80's to 90's (turn-based tactics, getting to create, name, and shape your character without the game giving you some generic name that everyone calls you and a voice making the character not really your own, a clear path and following it being the fun and not a massive "do whatever you like" being the point) and just want some updates for modern technology/ game design to them (smoother running, better animation for the characters and higher resolution of the beautiful "2D" graphics, nice menus and UI), then this game will probably entertain you.
  4. Jul 29, 2013
    As an old Shadowrun fan it was hard to miss that project, if possible at all. But the result kinda surpassed my expectations. I was waiting for a game, but instead I got a construction set based on a setting I like.
    Single player campaign is just a demo, you can remember the same situation in first Neverwinter Nights, where single player (without addons) story line was kinda dull and full of cliche. Yet now we see TONS of user generated content based on NWN.
    So this is how I see SR, a tool to make OUR Shadowrun come to life.
    But that does not mean that I did not like single player, it was truly enjoyable dive into a fantasy cyberpunk, with really nice characters and plot flow.
  5. Jul 26, 2013
    Shadowrun Returns brings the post apocalyptic world of Seattle back to life, brought to you by the people that started it all in the first place more than 20 years ago.

While there may be some tropes from modern day RPGs such as massive inventories and phat lootz dropping every 3 seconds not present, the streamlined interface and focused game play allow the story and setting to take a much more prominent role. Shadowrun Returns is a triumphant return of the Shadowrun universe to the electronic mediums.

There are some very minor points that i found missing from the Pen and Paper game, such as Stun and Physical damage, but all in all, Hairbrained Schemes has done a wonderful job of putting together what is needed to take me back to days gone by with friends sitting around a table, rolling handfuls of 6 sided dice, dodging Lone Star and working for whichever Mr Johnson happened to be paying the bills that particular week.
  6. Jul 26, 2013
    This game is fantastic. Couldn't ask for more, except more content, which is on the way. The writing is incredible, soundtrack is outstanding, animations are well done, environments are beautiful. To me, it's an instant classic, and should be for anyone who loved the old Shadowrun books/roleplaying game and the Baldur's Gate games.
  7. Jul 26, 2013
    Shadowrun Returns is what it says it is. It has taken me back into a universe that I've always loved, it's given me a thoughtful combat system that will undoubtably get better with user-generated mods, and it's reminded me that one of the best things about Shadowrun is that it requires my imagination. Sure there are things missing a proper loot system, the ability to save when I want toShadowrun Returns is what it says it is. It has taken me back into a universe that I've always loved, it's given me a thoughtful combat system that will undoubtably get better with user-generated mods, and it's reminded me that one of the best things about Shadowrun is that it requires my imagination. Sure there are things missing a proper loot system, the ability to save when I want to but really, these aren't major gripes. I wonder how many of the people here are complaining about the save feature but love FFVII with *hours* between save points in the first section of the game...
    Harebrained Schemes have created a game that will keep on giving and I, for one, am excited to see where the Internet takes it next.
  8. Jul 26, 2013
    I am about six hours in and am enjoying myself quite a bit. Really feels like a pen and paper Shadowrun game from back in the day. Minor technical glitches, no Co-op and and annoying save system bring the experience down but it is a few patches and some custom mods away from being a truly great single player RPG, totally worth the price I payed.
  9. Jul 26, 2013
    An amazing job on a minimalist budget.

An amazing job on a minimalist budget.

First off let me start by saying that if this was a AAA game I'd rate it 6 or 7 of 10, however for a small independent studio, it is top notch. The game play could be slightly more polished(Check point saves, no custom bindings) but the flavor is spot on. Right away you are pulled into a deeply rich storyline, full of twists and turns, and denizens of the shadowrun universe. You feel the grit and hopelessness of the SINless. The base story was highly entertaining, but fairly linear...however I look at that as more of an intro to the game, a tutorial if you will, for the UGC that will be coming out in droves(if the prerelease is any indicator).

Alot of the reviews I've read are either lambasting SR:R for not being a AAA title, or can see no wrong in it. Make no mistakes there are flaws in the game, but they are relatively minor. There is no "save anywhere" but I can name AAA titles that didn't have that. No custom keybinding? Again plenty of AAA titles w/o that. A few bugs? etc.

If you are a fan of Shadowrun this is a game you don't want to miss, if you are a fan of 3rd person tactical games this is a fairly good representation of the genre. This game is well worth the $20 you can buy it for right now...and honestly I've paid $60 for games that were 1/2 as fun, or had less replayability.
  10. Jul 26, 2013
    Honestly brought me back to my childhood. Was a lot of fun and very well told story. The most exciting part for me is after this campaign is done there is still Berlin coming out and an indefinite amount of user created campaigns. I'm excited to see a lot more of this world and hope it is a sales success so we can see more iterations in the future!!!
  11. Jul 26, 2013
    That's all?!?

As a kickstarter backer I'm just appalled at how skimpy this offering turned out. I downloaded it and played it through, completing every optional objective and sidemission (of which there were like 2!) in 10 hours. This is a point-and-click adventure game with meaningless dialogue (Nothing you say alters any outcome, with a couple minor exceptions) supported by a
    That's all?!?

This is a point-and-click adventure game with meaningless dialogue (Nothing you say alters any outcome, with a couple minor exceptions) supported by a combat mini-game and a laughable inventory system. Completely on-rails story, forget about a sandbox, there isn't even a quest-hub system in place, or world map or... anything.

People who enjoy modding games who also still play pen-and-paper Shadowrrun might wind up enjoying this game when the "community" gets around to actually creating content for it, but no one else is going to find their money well-spent upon purchasing this title. Caveat emptor.
  12. Jul 29, 2013
    Shadowrun Returns from my experience of the campaign in its entirety was excellent. Some spent 12 hours. I spent around 20 hours(sometimes I had to leave my computer on more on that later). Definitely worth the discounted pre-order of $15. I would highly recommend that anyone who enjoys TBS(turn based strategy), RPG, and Fantasy/Sci-fi to check this game out!! Now to the exposition ofShadowrun Returns from my experience of the campaign in its entirety was excellent. Some spent 12 hours. I spent around 20 hours(sometimes I had to leave my computer on more on that later). Definitely worth the discounted pre-order of $15. I would highly recommend that anyone who enjoys TBS(turn based strategy), RPG, and Fantasy/Sci-fi to check this game out!! Now to the exposition of the game's merits and faults. Shadowrun Returns plays similarly to Xcom: Enemy Unknown except that you don't upgrade your base of operations Between areas, you are usually at the Seamstresses Union where you catch up with the merchants, employees, and patrons on rumors, gossip, stories, and history as well as outfit yourself with gear and companions for your shadowruns. This mechanic works quite well and gives the player a nice break from the action and helps you connect with the iconic inhabitants of the Seamstresses Union. When it comes time to duke it out in combat with nefarious thugs, cults, and corporate organizations the combat is excellent. I did not fully explore all of the possible skills that fall under the different attributes, but guns, melee, magic, spirits, drones, and decking(hacking into the matrix) all work quite well. Guns are by far(especially the Assault Rifle) the most damaging and flexible in combat. However, the skills that fall under conjuring and magic can be very helpful in regards buffing allies or debuffing enemies as well as obstructing or hampering enemies. Overall I really enjoyed the combat and there were even some encounters where I had to play through them about 5 times just to get past them. But that was for maybe 3 out of 10-15 encounters in the game if my estimations are correct. I also enjoyed all the dialogue which was well written in that it was great in terms of humor, seriousness, verbal cues, and depth. The plot really felt like a story, which is more than some games like Brink, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, and Dragon's Dogma can say(those are all the games I believed would have great stories but didn't and instead only delivered on gameplay). I can safely tell you that Shadowrun returns delivers on both fronts. Now to the faults which are few and forgivable though it would be nice if they were addressed. There are checkpoints at subsections of areas and transitions into new areas like going back and forth between the Seamstresses Union and some other location or proceeding further into a location. I can see how they would hope to discourage allowing players to save every single turn in battle or save all the time in order to get the most out of every conversation by making all the right choices. However I think that a comprise between manual and automatic would be an allowance of manual saves in addition to the auto saving at checkpoints then when you feel you really need to save you can. Now enough of the save system which is manageable(if you remember to copy every single autosave checkpoint so that a checkpoint's autosave doesn't get overwritten by the next checkpoint). One thing that dissapointed me a little bit was the lack of other attributes that characterized weapons, because there is certainly others beyond damage, range, and capacity(guns). Some guns in the store would have the same damage and range, but the more expensive one would have less capacity. There must be something exemplary about the more expensive one that would justify its price tag.In addition, the story did not have any major dialogue decisions that affected the outcome of the game in any significant way. In addition, it was sometimes difficult to select the tile that you wanted a character to move to since you could not rotate the camera, but this did not affect the outcomes of combat really since it was pretty infrequent. Though there are these flaws, I would like to point out the reasons for them and how they can be resolved. I'm going to compare the making of Halo 4 to Shadowrun Returns. Halo 4 had around a $100 million dollar budget, 200 developers/employees, and a 3 1/3 years development cycle. Shadowrun Returns had around a $2 million budge, 22 staff, and a 1 1/3 years development cycle. Do these numbers mean anything. Yes. For Harebrained-Schemes, they had a shorter time table and limited financial and development resources. Maybe that's why they didn't get in the other statistics or characteristics concerning weapons(though this may have been a design choice). Maybe a manual save system and non rotating camera weren't possible for development reasons due to the tight schedule and the issues they could have caused during the software engineering process or yet again they may have been design decisions. And last of all there is only so much content that a team of 22 can develop for a rich story. I would rather have a great story than a terrible story filled with important choices that impacted the direction of the plot. Plus buyers can mod the game to extend the content and fix issues. Expand
  13. Aug 1, 2013
    If you are fairly young and play a lot of modern action/RPG games you may not like this game. If you've only really played Mass Effect and Dragon Age then this is going to seem like an interactive storybook and you'll wonder where all the animations and cut-scenes are.

If the mention of Fallout 1+2, Baldurs Gate, Zork, Monkey Island, Beneath a Steel Sky, Dreamscape, B.A.T, Planescape Torment, Valhalla, Dune all make you quiver with fond memories then step right in and grab this game with both hands!

I love it. Completed the small story that it comes with in 2 days with a Ninja Elf Shaman Decker (Yeah why not!) and then straight back in with a new character and made a Troll with a shotgun. Its been less than a week at time of writing this review and the steam workshop is already filled with some great user content. I had a quick go at writing a story last night and it was ace fun! Very complex but enjoyable toolset.

This game is going to be the gift that keeps on giving and if your prepared to be part of the shadowrun returns community then your going to get tonnes out of it!
  14. Jul 28, 2013
    Shadowrun Returns is fantastic tactical RPG from an indy/mobile developer, Hare Brained Schemes. The art and writing create a vivid and memorable fantasy/cyberpunk world that will be instantly recognizable to anyone that played the original Shadowrun PnP RPG or the Nintendo & SEGA adaptations.

Dead Man's Switch is a well written neo-noir tale that offers 10-15 hours of gameplay. It's a compelling and detailed look at the world of Shadowrun.

The real promise of Shadowrun Returns though is the Editor that allows members of the community to create their own stories and missions and share them with the world. The Editor promises countless hours of UGC within the world of Shadowrun.

The game is not perfect. It is very streamlined so as to be accessible on mobile devices. This sometimes left me hoping for more complexity. However the Editor holds the promise of even greater complexity and sophistication. There are a number of minor bugs apparent in the initial release, but nothing game breaking and nothing unexpected for an indie title with a small budget. I've played AAA titles with far, far more bugs disrupting the gameplay.
  15. Jul 25, 2013
    Shadowrun Returns is everything I hoped it to be. It has an extremely captivating and fun narrative that'll pull you in straight away, always giving you a hunger for more. The gameplay is fun and although it would have been cool if it were deeper, it feels enough like a proper old RPG like Baldur's Gate or Fallout to captivate me. Graphically the game is beautiful as well; the textures areShadowrun Returns is everything I hoped it to be. It has an extremely captivating and fun narrative that'll pull you in straight away, always giving you a hunger for more. The gameplay is fun and although it would have been cool if it were deeper, it feels enough like a proper old RPG like Baldur's Gate or Fallout to captivate me. Graphically the game is beautiful as well; the textures are of high quality and the top-down perspective is well-executed.

An excellent RPG that will immerse you in its story and world before you know it.
  16. Jul 27, 2013
    It would be great, unfortunately, it's id***-friendly improvements, mentioned many times: checkpoints! UNLIMITED AMMO! It's only 1/100 of what it could be.
  17. Jul 26, 2013
    If you remember those isometric games of old, the games like "Fallout 2" or "Baldur's Gate" and remember them with fondness, then this is the game for you.

If you tried to play those games again in the recent years and found it to be tedious and prefer the more up-to-date game quality like "Skyrim" or "Fallout: New Vegas" than this is not a game for you. If you are feeling nostalgic

If you are feeling nostalgic and want a modern take on a classic game style with an interesting story without all the bells and whistles, then try this game and see what future escapades people can create for this game.
  18. Jul 29, 2013
    Shadowrun Returns represents one of the best CRPGs in years. With better writing and more compelling story than skyrim, and a quirky art style that is informative and pretty, while also being graphically undemanding.

It is not perfect, and what game is? But its few minor issues are far less common than many would have you believe. You should know that there is no voice acting, or

You should know that there is no voice acting, or manual save function, and if either of these matter a lot to you, it might not be the game for you; but despite this, the game left me feeling more positive about the future and present of gaming than I have felt in a long while. Especially as the first waves of User generated content are already appearing.
  19. Jul 25, 2013
    Loving this game, lovely writing and gorgeous art. Really captures the feel of the source material.

About four hours into the campaign and really enjoying the detective story feel. My only criticism so far is the lack of a quicksave, instead relying on a checkpoint system. However this is minor, especially compared to the huge boon of the bundled editor, I cannot wait to see

However this is minor, especially compared to the huge boon of the bundled editor, I cannot wait to see what the community does with it. Like Skyrim and Neverwinter, I can really see this game evolving with the input of the fans.
  20. Jul 26, 2013
    The game, had potential, and I absolutely love turn based RPG games, especially ones that are like fallout or x-com ishy style.

To bad this game is neither, the turn base combat engine is ok, but really they should feel ashamed for the poor to use UI, and lack of options. 20 year old turn based isomentric combat games had better UI, and made the combat feel a lot more 'alive'. Not to mention how for instance the new x-com turn based engine shows how a good UI should be done. This is none of the above.

Storyline is linear, and falls flat on it's face. Some of the text is ok to read, but really if you are used to reading good books. This isn't one of those. Compared to some other video game text/stories it is overall ok. For 1.2million budget they could have had some voiceovers on important characters/plot events maybe, just to give the game a bit of a not 20 years old feel.

Nothing redeeming about this game at all really, if you are looking for a turn based RPG combat game. Go get the old x-com, or Jagged Alliance, or BG, or one of the many other games from the 90's. Most of them have, better interface, better graphics and better storyline.

After looking on Metacritic I can tell what they did spend all the extra money on, creating sock puppet accounts to vote 9/10 and 10/10 for this obvious game that any sane person would never give over a 7 for.
  21. Jul 27, 2013
    I share the same opinion of "philthymcnasty" about the game.

"Great retro style pc game. Very good tactical combat, classic shadow run style leveling system.
    What i dislike the the lack of a save feature, you have to rely on auto saves at checkpoints, and i find that annoying. Otherwise its a great game."
  22. Jul 26, 2013
    As far as I'm concerned SR is worth it's salt in every way. It's NOT going to be Fallout 2054 or whatever. It's more of a story telling thing, than strictly RPG. The art and overall game-play experience create a deep feeling of immersion. Also the Editor is included, so expect additional content for years to come.
  23. Jul 27, 2013
    There's a lot of criticism on this game. Some is unjust and some is valid.
    If you like a game with a good story and nice tactical turn-based combat this is a game worth playing but not without its' shortcomings.
    Here's some silly critiscism: - The game has too much text. there's no such thing as too much text! - The game has terrible graphics Are you kidding me? Beautiful handcrafted
    There's a lot of criticism on this game. Some is unjust and some is valid.
    Here's some silly critiscism:
    - The game has too much text. there's no such thing as too much text!
    - The game has terrible graphics Are you kidding me? Beautiful handcrafted graphics and very good animations for an indie game!
    - You can't save whenever you want Well, that's how games should be, there are consequences for doing mistakes! Dark Souls anyone?
    Here's some valid criticism:
    - The game is short
    - The story is linear and your decisions don't really matter
    - The game is too easy
    All of the above will be fixed with custom campaigns, so in the end there's pretty much nothing to whine about...
  24. Sep 20, 2013
    Horrible quality game. Inventory screen displays your gear differently depending on which NPC is used to open it. Gear of the same category have practically no diversity, you do not even get smart-link gear until the last mission. Matrix combat is horribly unbalanced, Pet types never have their main differences explained like if they are single use or not. Pets never show their abilitiesHorrible quality game. Inventory screen displays your gear differently depending on which NPC is used to open it. Gear of the same category have practically no diversity, you do not even get smart-link gear until the last mission. Matrix combat is horribly unbalanced, Pet types never have their main differences explained like if they are single use or not. Pets never show their abilities or stats until used which for some pets makes you use it up. No random missions to side quest with. No random matrix runs. I have found 1 complete side quest/job, just 1. Social Options do not seem to be randomized at all, you either have a stat and automatically get the NPC to do whatever you ask or you don't and you always fail. Sharing gear with allies means that they steal the gear and never return them. You can't give your allies better guns from your inventory even if they have empty slots to equip more.
    Immersion issues: "Burnt Out Mages" and some other NPCs have Cyberware yet unaffected 6 essence.
    My review is based on expected vs delivered and if I would recommend this to my family and friends, the answer is that I hope none of them waste their money on this game that is the worse I have seen any Shadowrun Product.
  25. Aug 21, 2013
    Delivered precisely what I wanted from them.

Is it short? Yes. Are the tactical options somewhat limited? Yes. Is the tactical iso combat frustrating and unintuitive at points? Absolute.

But did it capture the essential flavor of the original SNES and Genesis game? Yes! Is it a decent tactical turn based squad game? Yes. Is the story better than 90% of games out there? Very much so.
  26. Jul 28, 2013
    Old-school fun, thus, great tactic combat and artisan dialog and narration.
    I totally loved the ciberpunk atmosphere, the graphics are beautiful, the music fits like aglove... a very enjoyable experience.
    Its not a big budget game, but hell Its fun.
  27. Aug 22, 2013
    Never played the original, but thought it had a decent story-line, was engaging enough (though not overly strategic). Environments were pretty cool as well. UI could use some tweaks as mentioned in other comments but wasn't THAT bad.
  28. Aug 23, 2013
    Shadowrun Returns is great old school RPG gaming period. While I have seen some complaints of graphics, storyline, etc for a gaming nerd such as myself it's a great trip back to the days of all night campaign sessions and bad jokes.

With the custom editor and material already becoming available, I see a lot of potential for those of us wanting more than FPS killing sprees or RPGs that to be quite frank, are not.
  29. Jul 26, 2013
    This game is amazing, its a great start to what will be absolutely incredible game a few months from now, for a start its awesome a hard 9 a few months to a year from now it will be a solid 13 out of 10
  30. Jul 29, 2013
    Call me nuts but I like the save system being like it is. Adds a certain risk to screwing up if you make poor choices or just plain suck. I mean what's the point of avoiding death if you can just reload and try again without having to make your way back? The lack of looting? A little annoying, yeah... but I can see it imbalancing things if you had a ton of weapons in your stash to vendorCall me nuts but I like the save system being like it is. Adds a certain risk to screwing up if you make poor choices or just plain suck. I mean what's the point of avoiding death if you can just reload and try again without having to make your way back? The lack of looting? A little annoying, yeah... but I can see it imbalancing things if you had a ton of weapons in your stash to vendor off. You'd never feel the need to conserve money at all. So yeah... those two points either don't bother me or I like them as is. The rest of the game is beautifully done and makes me about as happy as can be. Expand
  31. Jul 27, 2013
    For an indie title, crowd-funded and produced by a small team in a shoestring budget Shadowrun Returns is a very solid title for the £15 ($20) price tag. I will be the first to admit that the enjoyment someone who doesn't already know the Shadowrun franchise will get out of this game might vary, but even as a long time player of the pen & paper game the game is based upon I feel that thereFor an indie title, crowd-funded and produced by a small team in a shoestring budget Shadowrun Returns is a very solid title for the £15 ($20) price tag. I will be the first to admit that the enjoyment someone who doesn't already know the Shadowrun franchise will get out of this game might vary, but even as a long time player of the pen & paper game the game is based upon I feel that there is enough of an introduction to the Sixth World to get you invested.

The campaign that ships 'out of the box', Dead Man's Switch is a solid piece of storytelling that captures a lot of the feel of the setting. I have yet to finish it yet, but I feel like I'm almost certainly approaching the 2/3 mark at least. However, I will say that if people come to the game expecting hugely branching dialogue trees with infinite combinations of choices that make an appreciable difference to the storyline you will be disappointed. The campaign is a fairly linear story, but it plays much like I would expect a short campaign or plot arc in the pen & paper game would. As such it encapsulates that style of play, within the constraints of a non-adaptable medium such as a video game.

Gameplay-wise Shadowrun Returns is a solid turn-based RPG in the style of older titles such as Fallout. Note that I say 'in the style of', there are several options for any turn in combat based on the make-up of your team of runners, their skills, weapons, magic etc. but it lacks some of the deeper complexities such as Fallouts locational targetting system. It doesn't suffer too much for it though. I personally find the combat to be challenging enough without being overly complex, I don't have so many options that it takes 5 minutes to plan out a single combat turn.

Harebrained Schemes had to drop a few of their intended features due to time and budget constraints, but the lack of these features are not, in my opinion, game-breaking. There is no definitive stealth mechanic, save for the concept of diguises, but the game never felt like that was a limitation. More that it would have been a nice addition, if done well. The Matrix (cyberspace) was added late in production when the devs found a way they were reasonably happy with and it shows, with limited meaty segments where it makes an appreciable difference. Still, the fact that it made it in at all is a bonus.

The art and sound are fantastic across the board, some people might find the stylised 2d art to be jarring, but I think it's gorgeous and managed to capture the cyber-fantasy vibe of Shadowrun while adding a unique look-and-feel to the game. The music is listenable and not jarring, sinking into the background while also adding a solid ambience.

Checkpoint-only save system has caused a lot of controversy that I hope to avoid adding to. I will simply say that it has not detracted from my experience, but the requests for a save & quit option are both reasonable and valid. Saves are not spread too far apart in my opinion and I have never lost more than 5 to 10 minutes of progress because of it.

Lastly, the Editor. This ships with the game included in the basic price point and is the icing on the cake. The tools to create your own content for a game are a welcome addition to any title, just look at the Elder Scrolls Creation Kit, or the editor for the two Neverwinter Nights games. Both of these tools have spawned fantastic content and I am confident that the Shadowrun Returns Editor will do just the same. There are limitations in the game, and the core campaign is a good sample of some of what can be accomplished with the tools (the Editor is precisely what the devs used to build the game and you can even open up the campaign itself to see how they did it all, which is VERY useful for people interested in how they did thing X in scene Y).

All in all a solid starting point and a reasonably successful Kickstarter funded title.

Could it have been better? Of course, but when one considers the size of the team that worked on it, the overall development cycle time and the budget they were working with, what we have been presented with is an impressive piece of work with a great deal of potential for the future, both through official and fan-created expansion content.
  32. Jul 28, 2013
    Shadowrun Returns is exactly what it is meant the be: The ultimate cyberpunk RPG maker tool kit. This is less a game and more a 20 dollar version of RPG Maker that is geared to make Shadowrun games. Considering that RPG Maker VX Ace is a 50 dollar program and you have to do all the programming, this toolkit is amazing. It's also integrated seamlessly into the steam workshop and there isShadowrun Returns is exactly what it is meant the be: The ultimate cyberpunk RPG maker tool kit. This is less a game and more a 20 dollar version of RPG Maker that is geared to make Shadowrun games. Considering that RPG Maker VX Ace is a 50 dollar program and you have to do all the programming, this toolkit is amazing. It's also integrated seamlessly into the steam workshop and there is already a community driven effort to recreate all the classic modules via the editor. BEST THING EVER! Expand
  33. Jul 29, 2013
    I'm very happy with how this has been implemented and cant wait to have more time to spend on it. I've played around 10 hours so far and can't wait until Ive got more time to try out more characters.
    The conversations in this remind me of days gone by when game companies actually employed authors rather than the useless dribble from 10 year olds we see in so many games now. I actually want to keep talking to some of the NPCs, and can't wait for my next play through to see where some of the other conversation options lead.
    Skill progress is done well, and is nice and diverse with many options. Once again I can't wait to try out more of the other options.
    Graphics style is great and reminds me of fallout 1/2 and crusader. Very happy with how it looks.
    I can see a great many campaigns done by the community with the editor and I bet I'll still be playing this one for many months (and hopefully years) to come.
  34. Jul 29, 2013
    This game is great. For those complaining about "not enough content," get over yourselves. This game has way more content than lots of other games at release. Not only is Harebrained Schemes planning on DLC for new content, but you have an entire community of die hard Shadowrun fans ALREADY working on new content. But the graphics don't require a my computer to go into beast mode.This game is great. For those complaining about "not enough content," get over yourselves. This game has way more content than lots of other games at release. Not only is Harebrained Schemes planning on DLC for new content, but you have an entire community of die hard Shadowrun fans ALREADY working on new content. But the graphics don't require a my computer to go into beast mode. GOOD, an enjoyable game that moderate rigs can play. I hate having to read, why aren't there any voice overs. Because you need to read more, slacker. Gameplay is too simple. That way everyone can enjoy. Hate not being able to save when you want? It was designed this way so you couldn't save before every fight, you must keep going with the run regardless of the health/supply status of your team.

I personally have enjoyed this game. I was a fan of the PnP and still break out the Genesis version I've held onto since it came out. I am in no way shape or form disappointed with Shadowrun Returns.

Get it, enjoy it and create content for others to enjoy.
  35. Jul 27, 2013
    If you're looking for a good tactical RPG, then this game is for you. Based off the pen and paper classic and the SNES and Genesis games, Shadow Returns has been brought back to life thanks to Kickstarter. Combat is like Final Fantasy Tactics or Ogre Tactics. The game has a deeply rich story and background. For the price, you can't go wrong! There will be further stories, like theIf you're looking for a good tactical RPG, then this game is for you. Based off the pen and paper classic and the SNES and Genesis games, Shadow Returns has been brought back to life thanks to Kickstarter. Combat is like Final Fantasy Tactics or Ogre Tactics. The game has a deeply rich story and background. For the price, you can't go wrong! There will be further stories, like the upcoming Berlin DLC, and there will also be user generated content. With some more polish and future iterations, this series will hopefully grow even grander.

Pros -
    -Great story.
    -Immersive character creation.
    -Fun Classes and Combat.
    -Beautiful 2.5D mixed graphics.
    -Sweet retro soundtrack.

Cons -
    -Clocks around 10-12 hours for the main campaign.
    -Moving around on the tactical grid can be complicated at times, especially if there are Units or obstacles in the way, since once you mouse over something you can't get to the grid behind it.
    -Checkpoint system instead of Save system.
  36. Jul 28, 2013
    Fun game, very faithful to the Shadowrun name.

Fun game, very faithful to the Shadowrun name.

There are some who say that the unlimited ammo ruins the combat in the game. That's it's a matter of firing until everything is dead. However they don't mention that combat requires AP (Action Points) while you do have unlimited ammo, you don't have Unlimited AP and have to plan you moves according. Every action in combat from reloading your weapon to moving in for the perfect kill consumes AP. So there is a challenge in the combat in spending your AP wisely.

Graphics are great, a hand drawn feel that makes this isometric world become Shadowrun and brings it to life. Also musical score is good, and Harebrained Schemes hired the musical composers for the SNES and Sega Genesis games to do the musical score for Shadowrun Returns.

I do agree that the save system could have been better. That for today's gaming market either have a save anywhere feature or some kind of in-game save option vs. a checkpoint save system. So because of the save system I do advise anyone playing this game to have some time on their hands and that it's not meant for casual play.
  37. Sep 2, 2013
    Really great story and interesting characters even if they are a bit archetypal. Definitely worth the low price tag. Bonus points for shipping with a massive campaign editor. The single launch campaign seems to just be skimming the surface of a massive world that leaves you craving more.
  38. Mar 25, 2015
    Nice game that takes some getting used to. The isometric view put me off for a little while and the skill tree can be a bit confusing.

I got it off steam for about 14 Euros and it's worth it's money. The reasons why I don't give it a higher rating is because it being linear, having next to no replay value and (purely personal observation) it isn't addicting like some of my favorite RPGs. It's easy to save and exit as opposed to other titles. But there always comes a time when you fire it up again to play for another hour or two.

Having said that, if you can live with these flaws and are into customisation and that old pen and paper feeling, give it a shot. It doesn't cost the world as opposed some so called AAA titles, which turn out to be just poor console ports.
  39. Aug 2, 2013
    Despite lack of funds (many of funds raised on kickstarter was used on gifts) its very good game, that brings back unique RPG mixing science and magic in dark futuristic setting. It is simplified old school tactical RPG, with some bugs (at the time release). True fans of Shadowrun might disappoint lack of Astral plane, unlimited ammo, no weariness after casting spell (instead a cooldownDespite lack of funds (many of funds raised on kickstarter was used on gifts) its very good game, that brings back unique RPG mixing science and magic in dark futuristic setting. It is simplified old school tactical RPG, with some bugs (at the time release). True fans of Shadowrun might disappoint lack of Astral plane, unlimited ammo, no weariness after casting spell (instead a cooldown time is used). Tactical minded player might miss full camera rotation option, as game is only pseudo-3D.
    Generals minus is fully automatic save points system.
    Despite all cons the cons, the game is fun¨to play, music is very good and community is cooking new adventures. Story of Dead man¨s switch is intriguing with few twists and fits well into Shadowrun universe.
    Playing through this game I would highly recommend. It´s tactician must have!!
  40. Aug 3, 2013
    i was real excited about this game. it's shadowrun universe which i enjoy very much. i generally like any shadowrun title. but now i'm left wishing i had read the reviews before getting it.

the overall game mechanics are great. there is an interesting story, good graphics and the interface is done well. however, in this day and age, after countless games written and tested in

however, in this day and age, after countless games written and tested in communities, i am astonished to see a game released without a save feature.

this is totally annoying and a fun killer. when you have to quit halfway through a map because you have a life and then have to start the level over again is unpardonable. i don't think i'll be able to get through this game with such a high annoyance factor.

such wasted potential because of one absurdly obvious oversight. this rating would've been 9 otherwise.
  41. Aug 26, 2013
    An absolute classic as far as I'm concerned and a unique experience among modern games (at least as far as the story and setting is concerned). Great multi-faceted storyline with equal or more "weight" than most other RPGs and simple overall gameplay that is nonetheless nuanced enough to always be fresh, entertaining, and strategically-challenging as you level up your character and planAn absolute classic as far as I'm concerned and a unique experience among modern games (at least as far as the story and setting is concerned). Great multi-faceted storyline with equal or more "weight" than most other RPGs and simple overall gameplay that is nonetheless nuanced enough to always be fresh, entertaining, and strategically-challenging as you level up your character and plan for each next battle.

Somewhat rough around the edges, though: Combat can be merciless (depending on your difficulty setting personally I played the given campaign on the highest difficulty) if you don't pay attention to the flow of each battle and it can drag on a bit at times as well, especially if you die; dying will piss you off due to the auto-save mechanic that uses zone saves rather than saving dynamically between encounters. However, even though I played in the maximum difficulty, I didn't die often, since dying is frustrating enough that it forces you to think about what you're doing during combat (which works for most situations, unless you get exceptionally unlucky during a tough fight or forget to stock up on plenty of healing and rezzes or invest in healer before heading into a combat section).

The story is amazing, but like the combat it expects you to pay close attention to it to follow what's going on. Also the game is fairly linear for an RPG; though the engine definitely allows for more elaborate things than it shows in the given campaign, the choices you make in it (composed mostly of dialogue) give you little more than money-rewarding (or money-saving) and combat-skirting alternate routes. Other than that... occasional typos in dialogue and other text will make you do a double-take, but aren't terrible enough to make anything illegible; you may notice various logic gaps in the story (though without a second play-through, it's hard to tell if I just wasn't paying enough attention at key moments), and at times your character might seem to be solving the mystery of the story before you, or with seemingly little evidence to go on; the story escalates in scope jarringly fast at times and focuses too little on each new revelation and also explains it far summarily (though perhaps this is to be subtle and/or entice you to research the Shadowrun table-top setting on your own, as I did).

!!SUMMARY!! A somewhat less epic (or perhaps "abridged") bleak futuristic guns-and-sorcery version of Baldur's Gate II that mixes (for the most part, successfully) 1 part intriguing real world sociopolitical elements and 2 parts real world mysticism and Dungeons-&-Dragons-style high fantasy... with all the expected interactive trimmings (dialogue, items, some puzzles, etc.) of a classic turn-based RPG and a fun but arguably deceptively simple combat system to boot.

(8.9 10)
  42. Aug 28, 2013
    Shadowrun Returns is a HUGE leap forward for games in the Role-playing genre. Not for it's gameplay, which is fairly generic turn based tactical combat, but in the fact that it is shipped with the same editor the creators of the game used to make it. No modding is required to add your own content, just some time and patience.

If you are not into creating your own stories for others to

If you are not into creating your own stories for others to enjoy then the upside of this is the fact that there are hundreds, if not more, people who love to craft stories for you to enjoy. It is possible for each and every person to craft professional-level campaigns using the level editor and a bit of imagination.

The actual gameplay is fairly generic, however. Out of combat there is a lot of talking and searching and once combat is engaged it switches to a turn-based tactical game. There are a decent amount of equipment with the ability to create more in the editor and you can build your character however you wish. It scratches an itch that most RPGs on the market can't, and that is depth. If you find a story that is written well, then this game can provide you with a satisfied feeling that even big budget RPGs like Skyrim cannot.

I highly recommend this game to anyone who enjoys playing RPGs and even more to anyone who enjoys creating content that can and will be enjoyed by a wide range of people.
  43. Aug 30, 2013
    The Shadowrun Universe is, hands down, one of the most entertaining and well-developed settings you could hope for in a game, and Shadowrun Returns hits most of the high-notes. A game designed around an editor (rather than a editor derived from a game) makes future quality content by the "mod" community all but assured. Some game-design choices give the sense that a larger budget couldThe Shadowrun Universe is, hands down, one of the most entertaining and well-developed settings you could hope for in a game, and Shadowrun Returns hits most of the high-notes. A game designed around an editor (rather than a editor derived from a game) makes future quality content by the "mod" community all but assured. Some game-design choices give the sense that a larger budget could have helped (the save-game system precludes easily saving "anywhere" but instead relies on linear checkpoints). But given the low initial price ($19.99 USD), the game feels fairly-priced, with room to grow. A great game for RPG fans. Expand
  44. Oct 8, 2013
    nice game great story and combat system my only disappoint is the save system but the game worth the money hope to see more game from this developer and maybe a story a little plus long
  45. Jul 28, 2013
    The release of this game just made me sad. I saw it pop up on the steam store page and I'm like "Oh they made a sequel to that FPS game," but nope it's an rpg. I thought this was going to follow the cross-platform FPS that was really cool, but this is supposed to be like some really old Shadowrun SNES game. What a letdown
  46. Jul 27, 2013
    I've never been this excited or hopeful about a video game. Shadowrun was my first and favorite mainstay of tabletop gaming, and I've played the SNES and SEGA versions over and over again. Over the years, I have tried again and again to make conversions of other games into the Shadowrun PC game I know could and should exist. Now I don't have to. With a superb editor, tons of props,I've never been this excited or hopeful about a video game. Shadowrun was my first and favorite mainstay of tabletop gaming, and I've played the SNES and SEGA versions over and over again. Over the years, I have tried again and again to make conversions of other games into the Shadowrun PC game I know could and should exist. Now I don't have to. With a superb editor, tons of props, functionalities, features, and a Steam oriented content delivery system, Hairbrained Schemes has finally provided me with the means to make Shadowrun whatever I want it to be. Expand
  47. Jul 29, 2013
    To all Shadowrun players (past, present and future), this is a nice game to experience the vision of Shadowrun by it's original creator, Jordan Weisman. Experience a nicely crafted tactical games based on the Shadowrun Universe, within Seattle.

To all non-shadowrun players, you may find this game a bit lacking, because a lot of the content appeals to us old-timers, and it actually mean something to us, but nothing to you.

In order to properly enjoy this game, you must be a Shadowrunner, anyone picking it up without prior knowledge of Shadowrun universe will find miss 70% of the fun.
  48. Jul 28, 2013
    the game is very good but ok maybe it could have been much bigger and all that but still a very good game, i would wish we would get a skyrim like game with cyperpunk/sci-fi theme.
    im happy its more story driven, because mostly when i play skyrim and gta or open world games i just play the quest except maybe just in the beginning, but i used to run around doing nothing in GTA when i was younger. and the loss of voices doesn bother me much i usually click through them when i finish reading the subtitles because im much faster then the voice actor reading them, but its still good to hear their voices. and now im just looking forward to more storys and stuff from mods and it would be nice if the devs would put quicksave in the game, i don't understand that isn't in every game today, i have kid and its good to be able to quicksave if you have to stop playing for some time instead of having the game on while you leave. but other then that a very good game and if its so bad why don't you just make a better one.
  49. Jul 29, 2013
    Summary: A great game with a well written story that can only get better and more rewarding as user generated content becomes available. Highly recommended!

I have to say that people making claims here that the company "should have done more" with the budget they had clearly have NO IDEA how expensive making games actually is. Let's just consider some game budgets: GTA IV $100 million (over 50 times the budget and delivers an open world AAA experience), L A Noire $50 million (over 25 times the budget and delivers full voice acted story based action game), Baldur's Gate $4.5 million (about 3 times the budget, isometric, mostly text conversations with a little audio, large scale and mostly open world, no user content tools). So what has been made for under $1.5 million? Erm... Dragon's Lair, Pac-Man (including marketing), Penny Arcade Adventures Ep 1 (only $1 million). I think Shadowrun Returns delivers in spades compared to those games. An excellent job by the developers.

I enjoyed the engaging story most of all, but I also enjoyed playing a character that was more powerful in the Matrix (Cyberspace) than in real life until I beefed up pistol skills to match; I thought that this was a great way of making those characters valuable to the team beyond the odd extra option in a menu. I can live with the limitations of the game, given its budget, because it delivers so much if you are prepared to look past the faults.

Loved it and would highly recommend it.
  50. Jul 29, 2013
    A great game for everyone who likes RPG's. I gave it 9 out of 10, but if it had had speech it would have gotten a 10. Maybe in the future when great usermade stuff comes out, I will revise to 10/10.
  51. Jul 27, 2013
    This game is really good, The combat is fun and feels satisfying and there is some great story telling, the editor is very powerful and I love the art. The only issues are that at times, the editor can be buggy nothing that bad0 and the save system is not the best. But I'm willing to overlook these as I've had fun.
  52. Jul 27, 2013
    A really great throwback to the old CRPG of past. If you enjoyed games like Baldurs Gate, Planescape Torment, Fallout, and Fallout 2, this game is right up your alley.

Shadowrun Returns is based on the old pen and paper game Shadowrun. They have successfully recreated the spirit of the dystopian cyber punk future in this game.
  53. Jul 28, 2013
    This is a great title. It has a two major flaws. It is way too short and it is way too linear. If you can forgive those two things, then the game will be a very enjoyable experience for you. Why? Well, the atmosphere is spot on, the writing is good, the game has both tactical and strategic depth and, well, it is just plain fun. The save system is good but some are put off by it.This is a great title. It has a two major flaws. It is way too short and it is way too linear. If you can forgive those two things, then the game will be a very enjoyable experience for you. Why? Well, the atmosphere is spot on, the writing is good, the game has both tactical and strategic depth and, well, it is just plain fun. The save system is good but some are put off by it.

Controversy:
    A quick word about the save system. How does the current system work? It already saves for you once every mission (usually about every 30 minutes) and you are able to "rewind" to previous saves. This is more than enough. However, this system makes you be very mindful of your strategic choices. For example, if a level may have multiple engagements, do you use up all your consumables in the first battle if pressured or do you save some for the next? This save system is actually fairly brilliant and it makes player choices feel very impactful. Sure, you may "lose" 30 minutes of your time if you fail a mission but if the players takes that loss as an opportunity to learn instead of an arbitrary punishment, then it becomes a positive feature rather then a negative one. Frankly, a save anywhere system would not have had such nail biting gameplay and I for one am glad they went with a system that limited "save scumming."

The Bad:
    The linear structure is a major flaw, however. The game plays out like a series of combat encounters with noncombat encounters in between to advance the story. This makes the game feel similar to a console tactical rpg title rather than a true to form computer rpg. Still, the execution is good and, unlike console titles, you do not fight outlandish demons with girlish prepubescent teen males that dye their hair blue. If you can get over the linearity, the game is quite fun.

The game's length (only 10 hours) is a bit on the short side. It is roughly 25% the length of a true to form cRPG. Even if you consider that this game costs half as much as other titles, the length should still, mathematically, be twice what it is. This means some conversation skills are rarely used, decking is underutiized, there are very few side missions, etc. This game has, to its credit, a very robust and well designed rpg system but, sadly, not enough places to allow certain character builds to shine. Still, it DOES come with an editor and the hope of community generated content. I am not sure if there enough folks in the community for this title to generate the content the devs claim will appear but you never know. I did feel I got my money's worth from the included campaign and I will be replaying with a different character build.

The Good:
    There is plenty to love in this title. If you have every read cyberpunk or seen a cyberpunk film, then you will feel instantly at home with this game's story. Shadowrun is a bit different than typical cyberpunk since it had some fantasy tropes as well (elves, dwarves, etc) but this does not take away from the experience it adds to it.

The presentation is great. The music is perfect. It is atmospheric, non-intrusive and very immersive. The graphics are crisp and well designed. At first, I felt the character models were a bit too cartoony and not gritty enough but I came to appreciate them.

The combat is turn based executed well. In other words, the engagements are small enough that waiting for your turn does not test your patience instead of your tactical decisions. You have a host of special moves, magic, summons, etc to choose from but I never felt overwhelmed or lost. Everything made sense after a bit of experimentation.

The writing is very well done. This definitely takes me back to the older Shadowruns on the SNES and Genesis but the writing is far more mature and well done. Sure, some stuff gets a little cliche here and there but cyberpunk is supposed to be at least a little cliche. Some familiar noir elements should bleed though.

Final Verdict:
    The game has alot going for it and if not for two major flaws (length and linearity), I would have scored it higher. Also, don't be put off by the save system and the turn based combat these are strengths not weaknesses.
    8/10 Collapse
  54. Jul 28, 2013
    While this game feels dated, and most likely should have been brought out on the iPad, I am having fun with it. I also understand that the game is a lot more than the single campaign provided with the release, hundreds of campaigns will be available once the public designers start writing. I look forward to the future of this game, much more than the release.
  55. Jul 28, 2013
    A very fun and addictive strategy/rpg. I enjoy the story and the environments look amazing. Combat is my favorite portion of the game, turn-based strategy games are some of my favorite. My only complaints are quickly overlooked; Poor character graphics and no multiplayer. Lack of a manual save is slightly annoying but the quick save has not failed me yet so no bother. Overall, this is aA very fun and addictive strategy/rpg. I enjoy the story and the environments look amazing. Combat is my favorite portion of the game, turn-based strategy games are some of my favorite. My only complaints are quickly overlooked; Poor character graphics and no multiplayer. Lack of a manual save is slightly annoying but the quick save has not failed me yet so no bother. Overall, this is a very well developed game and should not be passed up. Expand
  56. Jul 29, 2013
    This game is pretty much what I expected when I Kickstarted it, a toolset for building a tactical RPG set in the Shadowrun Universe on a PC. That it also came with a decent 1st campaign was just icing on the cake. I'd give it a 10 if not for the following:

1.) The save system isn't as bad as reviewers make it out to be, but it really could be better. 2.) The Unity engine itself has

2.) The Unity engine itself has some sound stutter issues that need working out.
    3.) A World-Map & the ability to revisit some areas would have been a nice plus, but not necessary for the campaign. This is supposed to be resolved with the upcoming German DLC campaign.
    4.) There is no ability to swap gear with your followers hirelings. This isn't an issue in the Seattle campaign, but is a huge limitation for custom module design.

All in all, SR:R is a good game with a lot of potential going forward.
  57. Mar 19, 2014
    Interesting rpg but pretty average. No voice acting, limited choice of equipment, no sidequests, bad combat system where you miss half of the time. Can't say I enjoyed it much.
  58. Sep 10, 2013
    So Shadowrun definitely has its shortcomings, but the game was so much fun that it's stuck in my head all of this time later. I keep listening to the soundtrack over, and over, and over.
    Honestly, while I was playing the game the save system was frustrating-but now, looking back, it added a certain realism and pulse-pounding edge to the battles. I recall escaping a couple of times by the skin of my teeth, and hanging onto the edge of my seat while doing it. The combat was great, and honestly, by making it so you can't just hit "redo", it encourages you to be more cautious and tactical, making it even more fun! Honestly, this review is mostly to refute the negative reaction to the save system.
    I played on a standard Windows 7 system a couple weeks after release and had no trouble with crashes or bugs.
  59. Jul 25, 2013
    This is a welcome update to a RPG classic. I got my Elf Mage all ready to go and was, for the most part, enjoying the game until I realized there are no Steam achievements. What the drek?! I'm happy to support this game and while I know it's irrational to not play a game due to a lack of admittedly arbitrary achievements (what can I say: I'm OCD about this), not including them these daysThis is a welcome update to a RPG classic. I got my Elf Mage all ready to go and was, for the most part, enjoying the game until I realized there are no Steam achievements. What the drek?! I'm happy to support this game and while I know it's irrational to not play a game due to a lack of admittedly arbitrary achievements (what can I say: I'm OCD about this), not including them these days just seems lazy (or Nintendo) so I'm tapping out of Shadowrun. Back to XCOM. The developers say they may add them later to which I say I may play it (and revise my score) later. Expand
  60. Jul 27, 2013
    Bad story, that can be overlooked by the fun, nice gameplay and all the rpg elements that made this game a worthwhile experience. The game is shot but can be modded so chill and wait for some cool mods. Not a masterpiece but is better than a lot of the new AAA full budget crap
  61. Jul 28, 2013
    This game is absolutely awful it's just like any other RPG tactic Indie game. Nothing special to this game, just your average game, I was pumped for this game when it was first released after all the hype of the trailers, screenshots, and many other factors I was ready but it was a major let down I want a refund for this game. All these good reviews are mediocre gamers that neverThis game is absolutely awful it's just like any other RPG tactic Indie game. Nothing special to this game, just your average game, I was pumped for this game when it was first released after all the hype of the trailers, screenshots, and many other factors I was ready but it was a major let down I want a refund for this game. All these good reviews are mediocre gamers that never experienced a real tactics game. Expand
  62. Dec 4, 2013
    What a wonderful idea... I backed it on Kickstarter. But, the game just doesn't run on my Linux machine at all and the developer's bug reporting system is haphazard so I have gotten no feedback about when it might actually run. For that matter, even though they advanced to the Linux version number more than half of their website still refers to the previous patch level. Another exampleWhat a wonderful idea... I backed it on Kickstarter. But, the game just doesn't run on my Linux machine at all and the developer's bug reporting system is haphazard so I have gotten no feedback about when it might actually run. For that matter, even though they advanced to the Linux version number more than half of their website still refers to the previous patch level. Another example of a developer pushing a game out half-baked and then failing to patch the game up to its level of promise. Expand
  63. Apr 3, 2014
    A fairly flawed game that I wanted to like, but the controls are so clunky and slow, and the game so 1-dimensional that I can't give it better than a 4.
  64. Jul 29, 2013
    Not bad. I certainly felt that its setting and world was unique, I mean, nobody else has tried to mix DnD with cyberpunk. Writing's decent. Combat's great, and the environment's are gorgeous. Plus it's got plenty of shelf life with its editor.

There are a few problems to it. The environment can obscure certain areas at the bottom of the screen, there's no ability to traverse floors, Speechcraft while serviceable, is fairly no-thrills and it can be a bit difficult to control units close to each other in battle. Plus the main campaign kinda felt pretty short. Finally, its checkpoint save system was not fun to use.

Still, I enjoyed it. A good respectable return by the franchise.
  65. Jul 29, 2013
    Personally I likes the game a lot. The game improved a lot, but due to the budget restrictions it did not became a 10! There should be a lot of features included, that it would be excellent. Look at the differences
    I will sum some of the differences between SNES version and Shadow run Return.
    Snes: Battle is button mashing. New: A lot of choice like fire gun, robot, use items like
    I will sum some of the differences between SNES version and Shadow run Return.

Snes: Battle is button mashing.
    New: A lot of choice like fire gun, robot, use items like heal or grenades, use spells. hide

World Snes: Can move around more freely and revisited places.
    New: game world cannot be revisited after entering a new quest area. Places can be revisted depending on how the game is build up. But that can be changed with the game editor I guess.

Loot Snes: Can loot dead people
    New: Bodies go away.

Earn Karma snes and New: the same. Just do certain things to earn it.

Character customization New: much more options like Decker software which are your spells in the digital world. Personal stats improve the ability of drone or enable you to use certain hardware

snes version: No editor
    New: game editor!

Snes: NPC's move around
    New: most NPC stand around and just talk.

New saving: It's mainly done after you goto a new area. No option to save in between.

End verdict: 8, I enjoyed the Snes version a lot. And I enjoy the new one even more, but would like to see small improvements by adding new features into the game, thaen it would be awesome!
  66. Aug 1, 2013
    An Honest Review, without wasting your time.

An Honest Review, without wasting your time.

An amazing concept, realized with good skills and amazing writing. Showing the value of Kickstarter, this is easily one of if not the best RPG's of the year. With custom content (available in the first few months), an open roleplaying ruleset, and editors galore and a community to back it, this is my new favorite PnP RPG on PC. Does it have bugs? you betcha. Aside from a general focus on story (which was flawless) over combat, at times it was very slow with little action, hard to click areas and a general stubbornness of clickable artifacts and precision of the mouse cursor. I say this out of respect and keeping it all in balance, it still deserves its 9. Its not logical to bring down a game for a few annoyances, for how good it is, and how good it could be. Some may not agree, but 3 things are true: a) you will be glad you played it if you liked Baldur's Gate, b) it is in the style of a pen and paper RPG with custom content galore, and c) If you love quality music and sound and writing, you will love it.
  67. Jul 27, 2013
    I have just completed my first play-through of the "Dead Mans Switch" campaign that is the main campaign of the game.

In terms of value for money this game is definitely worth it, the story is good and the combat engine is like a better, functioning X-com. There's no spoken dialogue but the writing is very high quality and the type of person who enjoys these crpg's will probably enjoy having their imagination fill in the blanks.

The pacing of the game does seem a little off and some of the skills can seem a little overpowered, you'll find yourself becoming very strong very fast even on the higher difficulties. I didn't find I had a problem with the checkpoint system and not having a save system did stop me from save scumming. But I think it should have had a proper save system, some of the levels drag. However -most- of the checkpoints I would say are within 10-20 minutes of one another.

Overall the game engine and editor will prove to be the best things out of this project I feel. The game, while solid doesn't really live up to what could be extracted from such solid mechanics.
  68. Jul 27, 2013
    Goal: To create a tactical RPG in the spirit of the original SNES and Genesis games with X-Com inspired turn-based combat. Also, a powerful editing tool to allow UGC set in the Shadowrun PnP world.

Means: $2 million. That is not a typo. This game was made at 1/5th the cost of an EA mega-game like Mass Effect (which I loved the series) Result: A very powerful game editor. The game

Result: A very powerful game editor. The game engine itself is a little wonky, but the storytelling capabilities are endless. The campaign included with the game is very linear, but the UGC that was already out when the game released has been very satisfying.

Inventory is streamlined, with unlimited ammo but very limited capacity for gear. This can be unlocked with skill bumps.

The biggest hang up on the game is the save system, which should be thought of as a bookmark at the beginning of a chapter in the story. It takes some getting used to, but the end result lends to the more gritty choice and consequences nature of the setting.

If I were to judge the game just on Dead Man's Switch (the main campaign) I would give it a 7. The editing tool however is very important in making this a successful game.

Bottom Line:
    This game has a lot of bang for its buck in an age of $60 starter games with endless DLC that completes the story. All UGC created from the Seattle Pack is free.

If you want another Mass Effect or X-Com, you're better off re-playing those instead.

If you are on the fence right now, check back in a few months to see what the community has made.
  69. Jul 28, 2013
    As someone who has played the P&P-Version of Shadowrun for ages, I'm truly satisfied with the game itself, though there are some things which bother me.

First of all, I agree, the checkpoint-system IS something which can bother you, especially when you realize that your team isn't going to make it because you as the player did a poor decision. Of course, this requires you as the player to think about it in a proper manner beforehand, but sometimes you just can't predict the outcome.

The linearity of the game CAN be a hassle, but it's not necessarily one. As far as I'm concerned I even have a lot of fun with my second run, as I've switched from a Street Samurai to a Physical Adept, which means I can use a lot of strength to change some situations, which means I'm sometimes able to intimidate someone or move something out of the way in order to take a different path; no matter how you chose to play, you can always change some bits that are occuring within the game and therefore get a different experience, even though the main "road" of the game remains the same.

But you can clearly get that the game isn't about the main campaign "Dead man's switch". It really lives up on the editor and requires the community to create new content, which is more important than ever at this point of the game. 12 hours for the original campaign is a good thing and I'm excited to see some magic happen as the editor is a pretty powerful tool.

The campaign itself was well... sometimes a bit rubbish. The twists weren't really surprising and the writing could've been better sometimes, but at other moments in the game they weren't so bad at all.
  70. Jul 27, 2013
    Really impressed with this hame considering the budget they had to work with. I was so addicted to the story that I finished it in a two day marathon. Something I have not done in awhile. The writing and atmosphere are top notch. I also really enjoyed the tactical combat. The game becomes really challenging twords the end and it will punish people who fail to strategize. The last missionReally impressed with this hame considering the budget they had to work with. I was so addicted to the story that I finished it in a two day marathon. Something I have not done in awhile. The writing and atmosphere are top notch. I also really enjoyed the tactical combat. The game becomes really challenging twords the end and it will punish people who fail to strategize. The last mission was the only time that I cursed the lack of a manual save system mainly because a game bug made me loose some progress. Note that the game usually saves everytime you enter a new location so every 15 min or so. So that issue is not as horrible as some people make it out to be. Cant wait for the user generated content and Berlin DLC to come out. Expand
  71. Feb 8, 2015
    Turn-based strategy RPG combo is pretty much the greatest thing ever. The setting, writing, and runs are just fabulous. Shadowrun: Dragonfall is even better!
  72. Dec 19, 2013
    I went into this game having no prior knowledge of Shadowrun other than some general knowledge about the setting. I have to say this game has made me a fan, extremely well written and well put together campaign. My only complaint is that it feels very very short for this type of game, I was just getting into it when it ended, which was extremely disappointing. The combat and characterI went into this game having no prior knowledge of Shadowrun other than some general knowledge about the setting. I have to say this game has made me a fan, extremely well written and well put together campaign. My only complaint is that it feels very very short for this type of game, I was just getting into it when it ended, which was extremely disappointing. The combat and character development is interesting and the challenge was sufficient on the higher difficulty settings. I can't wait for their next official campaign and to try some user created ones. Expand
  73. Sep 20, 2013
    A pretty fun game, especially since I came in with no expectations. There's little replay value, as the game revolves around a couple mysteries that just cant hold my attention the second time around. Still, the system is fairly interesting, and combat is ok.
  74. Aug 15, 2013
    Very good RPG with nice atmospheric environment, music,dialogues and scenario. If it was just a bit more refined it would remind me of Planescape Torment. Waiting for expansion packs that will deliver it's full potential.
  75. Sep 21, 2014
    The game features fantastic isometric images and great music, but that's it for me. I particularly don't like turn based combat, I'm not good at them, because it seems you need the optimal build from the start to make it. I failed in the very first combat session in this game: you somehow seem to be overwhelmed all the time. However, positive thing is that the designers gave multipleThe game features fantastic isometric images and great music, but that's it for me. I particularly don't like turn based combat, I'm not good at them, because it seems you need the optimal build from the start to make it. I failed in the very first combat session in this game: you somehow seem to be overwhelmed all the time. However, positive thing is that the designers gave multiple options to accomplish a task with either money, few of the skills or talk style. (I don't like games where you are cut from content because of your build, especially if it is somewhat tedius to replay to the same decision point over and over.) Missions barely give enough profit if you bring multiple shadowrunners along, which is almost always a must. Note that this is my opinion about the default Dead man's switch campaign, which has modestly interresting story, but not that engaging. Expand
  76. Aug 12, 2013
    The game is most closely related to classic Fallouts. It has much of the same mix of RPG and squad combat elements. I agree with most of other reviewers: it's not especially great, but entertaining enough. I kinda liked the story, even if it was completely linear. I guess for me biggest plus of this game is there was no games of this kind for years, and I used to like them back in the day.
  77. Aug 10, 2013
    As super excited as I was that it was made, it left a real dry feeling in my mouth. I could have gone through that game as anything. you're choice of archetype didn't matter. at all. I'd actually suggest maxing your real world weapon no matter what you play. And it's a lot easier if you break out and play a crazy hybrid. by the last battle I was a full decker which is what I wanted to playAs super excited as I was that it was made, it left a real dry feeling in my mouth. I could have gone through that game as anything. you're choice of archetype didn't matter. at all. I'd actually suggest maxing your real world weapon no matter what you play. And it's a lot easier if you break out and play a crazy hybrid. by the last battle I was a full decker which is what I wanted to play (which made things in cyberspace SO easy I didn't even bother running my AI's.) But I had magic and drones and all at the end, it just made it easier, which wasn't what I wanted. My class didn't matter. I could have been a dog with a shotgun and got through it. So disappointing. Hopefully, with the mods and such it will open up a bit. The story was ok, but I'd call it a failure if I was grading it. So here's my tips if I had to play it again, get your real world weapon maxed, I suggest shotgun. get the heal spell in spell casting and max drones which basically gives you an extra person to run with. Don't plan on playing as a "rigger or a decker", just take a few points in the other skills and your game will go a lot faster. 3 points in spell casting and rigging will get you a heal spell and a drone which make a HUGE difference and which I didn't do until the last battle. Expand
  78. May 28, 2014
    Amazing game, Great story, great game-play, makes you feel like your playing the pen &paper game from 1989, or that your reading one of the novels... Highly recommended it!!!
  79. Sep 17, 2013
    The game is a lot of fun, and while it sacrifices a lot of the complexity and variation possible in the tabletop system, it makes for a functional PC game experience. The writing for the core campaign is excellent, and that combined with the game tilesets create an immersive world for the sprawl of 2050s Seattle. in a dystopian cyberpunk future run by feuding megacorps, street gangs, andThe game is a lot of fun, and while it sacrifices a lot of the complexity and variation possible in the tabletop system, it makes for a functional PC game experience. The writing for the core campaign is excellent, and that combined with the game tilesets create an immersive world for the sprawl of 2050s Seattle. in a dystopian cyberpunk future run by feuding megacorps, street gangs, and immortals.

The soundtrack is lively, a just jarring enough to keep you alert. The core campaign isn't unduly challenging, but isn't easy either, and good squad tactics become essential for the later missions.

The toolset that comes with the game is one of the stronger touted features, and a number of fans are already kicking out their own mods, with varying qualities of writing and encounters.

If you want to get a fun, fairly simple, and inexpensive RPG Shadowrun Returns provides good bang for your buck.
  80. Sep 20, 2013
    Great game, I've been waiting for a good turn based game for a while. A bit short, but free expansion is coming out soon! It's a bit slow at first, but then picks up. Story was alright, but could of been better.
  81. Feb 5, 2014
    It's a tricky endeavor to build a game mainly on story and narrative - but Shadowrun Returns handles this with success.

Shadowrun is a lore-rich cyberpunk/fantasy mashup universe which has been explored since the 90s. There are more than 40 novels in English, 5 video games and countless table-top campaigns. There is also an MMO being developed. Having it's back on this lore, this game offers a very compelling story, rich characters and and immersive game play.

One downside, however, is the linearity. Even though character and class variations are well balanced and of satisfactory variety, the playthrough is linear. This wouldn't necessarily be a downside if this game was an action/adventure game; but over the years we've come expect at least some sort of openworld gameplay. I hear, however, the upcoming expansion will be addressing this.

The additional plus for this game is its workshop. You can download user made content (which exist, and are pretty good) from new classes to new campaigns.

Go ahead chummer, you'll like this one. Wiz.
  82. Sep 6, 2014
    Pile of garbage. If I have no stash I cannot buy **** for my characters. My main needs to be able to use what I buy because the stash disappears when I select another character. The thing is this **** over UGC too. Pistols are **** Oh and the graphics are ****
  83. Dec 2, 2013
    Being a long time fan of cyberpunk when the game came on sale I was like what the heck, why not. I was in for a very VERY pleasant surprise.
    The game is indie but the only thing really reflecting this is the graphics. It does seem a bit dated but if you can live without everything reflecting everything and such gimmicks, you will see a well written story (the first few hours at least that I played through so far), great atmosphere, real role play game-like descriptions.
    The magic, the races, the cyber, the Matrix... everything is there. No wonder of course since the game was made by a company led by Jordan Weisman, the person who designed the Shadowrun tabletop game, so I guess it hardly gets more authentic than that.
    Since I haven't finished the game yet I can't really judge the story or the late game balance, but what I can tell is that the true strength of the game lies in modding so instead of buying pricey DLCs you can actually get free user generated content. Now if I learned anything over my years of tabletop RPGs it is that people who are into it are enthusiastic and creative beyond imagination but also very adamant in interpreting the world and the rules in their own way so I am sure it is a good idea to be on the lookout for some great mods.

Once I finish the game I will change my score to 10 (or not)
  84. Aug 9, 2013
    The game is pretty short and is relying on user generated material to pad out the length (which I think is lazy of the developers). Game is very old fashion design wise and looks like a game from the late 90's early 2000's. Encountered a couple of minor bugs. I'd recommend waiting until it's on sale before buying it. Waiting will also mean more time for user content to be generatedThe game is pretty short and is relying on user generated material to pad out the length (which I think is lazy of the developers). Game is very old fashion design wise and looks like a game from the late 90's early 2000's. Encountered a couple of minor bugs. I'd recommend waiting until it's on sale before buying it. Waiting will also mean more time for user content to be generated which is what this game seems to be all about. Still in a market where old school RPGs are rare this does hit a certain sentimental spot with me which is why I give it a 6/10 instead of a 5 or lower. Expand
  85. Dec 18, 2014
    Old school isometric rpg adventure with bags of character a great plot and plenty of modern innovation and enhancements. Looks great, plays great and will have you immersed in this bizarre dystopian future for hours upon hours.
  86. Jul 12, 2014
    Extremely linear, doesn't feel like a real RPG - more like a point & click adventure w/o the puzzles and combining the items. It looks a bit like a mobile game... which it is. Though I was playing on PC. Combat is OK - I was surprised how little there was, which is actually a pleasant surprise (story and characters are more important to me). Writing is good, I enjoyed both theExtremely linear, doesn't feel like a real RPG - more like a point & click adventure w/o the puzzles and combining the items. It looks a bit like a mobile game... which it is. Though I was playing on PC. Combat is OK - I was surprised how little there was, which is actually a pleasant surprise (story and characters are more important to me). Writing is good, I enjoyed both the descriptions, flavor text and the dialogue. What killed the game for me (and is the reason for this low score) are the bugs which prevented me from finishing it. I was playing a Decker and had Black ICE follow me to the real world, was stuck on combat mode forever and after I got past that I found a jackpoint to which I could not jack in. What's the point of playing a Decker if everything Decker-wise is broken? I can only imagine how frustrated people must have been with the autosave system, fortunately I came to the party late. I cannot recommend this game in its current state and would be angry if I backed it up on Kickstarter. I did not, but I still paid for it, I wish I could get a refund on Steam for a broken product. Expand
  87. Jan 11, 2016
    Usually, i can easily round a score to a whole number in a ten-scale system. Shadowrun Returns, however, is right in the middle between 7 and 8. It is above 7 but not yet at 8. So here it is:
    75/100.
    PROS: Good story, interesting visual style, nice music (although limited to 3 or 4 tracks), some good characters. CONS: Specialty does not play a role, extremely simplified
    75/100.

PROS:

CONS:
    Specialty does not play a role, extremely simplified tactical point-and-click combat, linear story, a ton of reading (no voice-overs), not well-paced in terms of sequences between reading the story and running tactical missions, very lacking on explaining the Shadowrun universe.

Overall, a good RPG, which almost makes it into solid. Main things that prevent it from doing so are the linear non-branching story line, childish tactical combat, offset pacing due to burdensome amount of reading.
  88. Sep 9, 2015
    Shadowrun returns is a good classic rpg with really solid writing (although the story gets medicore in the end), turn-based fighting system and a nice atmosphere. Unfortunately it's very linear, short(~15 hours), locations are small and there are almost no side-quests. Still it's a better rpg than most of the titles coming out these days. Also the price is great.
  89. Oct 2, 2014
    Very good, uncomplicated and linear role-playing game which is settled in a cyberpunk world, that combines elements of reality, fantasy and science fiction.
    I enjoy the (simple but intuitive) game mechanics, the (Xcom-like) combat, the storyline (in which you try to find a serial killer) and my character developement a lot, havent discovered any bug so far and always knew what i should do next.

Havent had so much enjoyment in a long time, and therefore, can easily recommend!
  90. Jun 27, 2014
    General Overview: An old school (supposedly) game play centric game that will remind many of us of the beginnings of great role playing adventures such as the original Ultima series. The graphics provide a nice atmosphere and the writing is decent but the campaign, Dead Man's Switch is very linear with LOTS of text reading. Make no mistake, you are NOT buying this for the campaign asGeneral Overview: An old school (supposedly) game play centric game that will remind many of us of the beginnings of great role playing adventures such as the original Ultima series. The graphics provide a nice atmosphere and the writing is decent but the campaign, Dead Man's Switch is very linear with LOTS of text reading. Make no mistake, you are NOT buying this for the campaign as the characters are shallow and your interaction is too brief to be of consequence. Its more showcase for what you have bought which is the editor that allows user generated content. As a game its more of an interactive novel than a game and unfortunately the story is only serviceable. This game will also only appeal to those with the patience and tolerance for text based gaming in the narrative sense. The combat is also serviceable at best and the challenge is not there and the "karma" (development points for your character) are provided for some of the smallest of actions and make earning those nearly meaningless. If you have no interest in building your own missions to share. don't want to take the risk that others will create something that you love and you have no intention of buying the FAR SUPERIOR Dragon Fall DLC there is little to recommend here.

TL;DNR: 5:More of a demonstration campaign and editor tool for community development than a game. I would suggest avoiding unless you plan to create your own campaigns, want to try the community developed campaigns or plan to buy and play the FAR SUPERIOR Dragon Fall DLC.

Technology/engine: 5: nothing earth shattering here although the editor is accessible and works well to generate custom content.

AI: 5: Not much here in this installment. AI is standard fare.

Graphics: 8: The 3D/2D as they call it works well and the art style is appealing and creates a great atmosphere.

Sound: 5: The ambient sounds are decent but nothing to write home about.

Soundtrack: 5: Music is appropriate but not all that varied. Fits to the atmosphere created by the art and the writing but is nothing outstanding.

Voice acting: N/A

Crafting: N/A

Customization: 4: Very minor and nothing to get excited over.

Game play systems: 8: The game play systems are well formed but poorly executed in the campaign - its far too simple and combat is too brief and too simple with very little challenge. The hope lies in the communities ability to put these systems to good use.

Controls: 5: Simple point and click interaction. Very, very basic.

Story: 5: Character development is poor in this installment and conversational choices are meaningless. It really is not something to get excited about and the reading gets laborious at points as there is nothing really driving the story forward.

Multiplayer :N/A
  91. Aug 26, 2014
    A highly enjoyable action/RPG with a great story and very fun combat elements. Game looks great and well worth a look for anyone who enjoys this mix of genres.
  92. Nov 9, 2014
    I read a lot critics here that shows little to no relation to what I experienced with Shadowrun Returns (SR), so I guess I'd write my own review. For the record, I played the tabletop game quite regularly since its inception in the early 90's, but not the other video games based on it.

First, the good points: The story that comes attached with the game is a classic: It gives the player a nice overview of the Shadowrun universe and some of its major actors, and despite lacking voice talent or even a change in the musical score, it manages to be compelling.

The music is very good, and at some point I thought is was music made by an actual musical act, instead of being "just a game's soundtrack". The interface is clean, easy to learn and use, requiring mostly just a mouse. I also like what they did with the decking.

The system is excellent. It is a simplification of the tabletop one (third edition), with no restraints on progression, where the player can chose to build Jacks-of-all-Trades or specialists as their character. Many combinations of skills are possible, making it a game people will replay using different races and skill sets.

Finally, it comes with a complete editor, so the replaying value is compensated for what is quite a short main story. I can't say that it is the most user-friendly editor I ever used, but it's there, and that for me weighted a lot when I did buy the game (if I had bought it).

First among the bad points are the graphics. I can't believe some games still have that rigid isometric viewing that brings the early 90's to mind. Take a game like "Freedom Force", an early 2000's game which used about the same strategic game play: You could rotate the camera and hear the environmental noises all over, and the graphics were like 10 years in advance over what appears in SR. That people wrote that the graphics were nice is beyond me: They are cartoonish, 2D and blocky.

That carries around with the aspect of your character, too; If class customization is open-ended, the appearance and clothing are way too limited, in this day and age. Likewise, the weapons, armors, spells, programs follow a "they get better as you level-up" pattern, which of course makes them mandatory as soon as they appear, no matter the class you designed, you end up having the same SMG at the same time in the story.

Rounding out the bad points, the AI cheats in strategic environment to compensate for the AI's limitations, roughly doubling the oppo's hit chance and damage caused as it is supposed to get tougher. It's manageable, but can be quite frustrating if you don't prepare for it.

All in all, SR is a somewhat nostalgic game that long time Shadowrun player will instantly recognize (it is also written by one of the core game's authors, too, so the feeling isn't artificial). Its re-playability will depend on how the community reacts to both the game and its editors, and from that pool I got the best like the worst.

I just hope that the next installment of this franchise will show some more up-to-date graphics and sounds, without cutting on the very acceptable system and interface: Six out of ten, worth the buy if you know what you're buying.
  93. Feb 6, 2015
    v1ctor are you retarded man are you **** dumb in your head go shot the **** out of it
    trolls you say the game is not perfect yet you give it a 10 how is that not trolling you dumb piece of sthinking **** go kill yourself you rotting payed jewdipp**** i know you got bucks to post that **** **** people like you make me sick!
  94. Jul 11, 2014
    I have to say, this was VERY refreshing. It felt good and fun. Quite intuitive. GREAT platform to make your own missions. As with everything, there is a "but" coming. ...but the campaign that comes with it goes from cool, to drag, to WTF?! If this game didn't come with the campaign editor, it would be a 4 or 5, but the community keeps it from mediocrity (mostly).

The cool things

The cool things we remember from the P&P are there. Just gotta keep an eye out for the easter eggs (first one you will see is over the bar). They decided to go more fantasy this time than cyberpunk and it gets campy. Anyone remember the movie "Dungeons & Dragons" with Marlon Wayans? Yea, that kind of campy.

At least the systems are still fun and that is the basis for the community adventures. I have to say, some people have gone WAY out on some of these. There are a few that so outclass the campaign that comes with the game, they should just feature them in the game (i.e. directly suggest the top 3 or 5 for immediate download. Oh you will get the campy ones, too. That's the price of community mods, but it certainly was a boon for Skyrim. So too, I feel, for Shadowrun Returns.
  95. Jul 24, 2014
    Combat is a bit simpler than I like it, but it's a good successor to the franchise. Very texty, it almost feels like an oldschool RPG experience with lots of text to click through. The story is good, the setting works well and the puzzles are a challenge.
    The fights can be a bit long though, and I wish there were more character customisation. Still, definitely worth a player for any RPG fan who likes slower-paced games.
  96. Jan 6, 2014
    Shadowrun Returns is a game for "old school" gamers who like old school turn based RPG's :D
    It has an awesome art design, and soundtrack, but most important for this type of games, it has tons of text a good quality dialog.
    Some say it's a short game. Maybe....but i put in 37 hours, and you will find interesting content created by fans with that awesome Editor that comes with game.
    Story is good. It can keep you on some sort of tension until you reach half of the game. After this moment the story begin to be previsible.
    It has no loot, and almost zero exploration. Yep, it's quite linear and story driven game.
    On the other hand the combat system works flawless, and the skills tree it's original and interesting. But because you can control all your party members, you will play with almost all classes available from first playthrough. So....re-playability is not so good.

I recommend this game to those who look for an old school turn-based RPG placed in an original cyberpunk world.
  97. Aug 15, 2013
    I enjoyed the p&p game many years ago. This looked like it might be an interesting revisit so I took a gamble buying it. I was a little disappointed. The graphics and effects are pretty mundane, the tactical system fairly awkward and controls prosaic (not as good as Xcom for example) the camera limited to a single isometric view, the tailoring of your character extremely limited, theI enjoyed the p&p game many years ago. This looked like it might be an interesting revisit so I took a gamble buying it. I was a little disappointed. The graphics and effects are pretty mundane, the tactical system fairly awkward and controls prosaic (not as good as Xcom for example) the camera limited to a single isometric view, the tailoring of your character extremely limited, the environment, okay, but with very limited space you can access. The game also lacks the multi-player capacity you might expect, so is essentially a platform for individuals to play solo through DLC/user generated Shadowruns.

It's perhaps most like Neverwinter Nights 1, yet lacks that old classics depth or variety. Saying that it might well improve as user content develops (which was what made NWN1 so special). I appreciate it is an indie title and a labour of love, yet I feel slightly ripped off for my £14. It would have felt fairer to pay between £5 to £8. On the plus side, I think it should run okay on low spec computer and so allow many fans who aren't necessarily computer fans to take part.

May dip into playing it once in a while...
  98. Aug 14, 2014
    This game is a nice throwback to games like Baldur's gate but the problem is that those games are much much older and I would have rather just replayed them. Maybe I'm wrong but it just felt slow and there were parts where you have to read mountains of text. I really like the combat and character development so that is what saved it from being a total disappointment for me.
  99. Aug 9, 2013
    Shadowrun Returns is a modern take on cRPGs developed by Harebrained Schemes. The first released "Big Kickstarter Project", does Shadowrun Returns live up to the lofty expectations of its backers.

Shadowrun Returns opens up in a semi-dystopia cyberpunk future Seattle, and you are both the solution and the problem. You are completely broke and down on your luck until your old "friend", Sam Witts, send you a pre-recorded call stating that he is dead and he is paying you a large sum of money to find out who did it. Of course, it is not that simple. Throughout the campaign you will go through serial killers, cults, and corporations.

This is where Shadowrun Returns greatest strengths comes into play, its world building. Thanks in part to the extensive Shadowrun universe, the game futures a delightfully dark and seedy atmosphere of corruption and desperation. This goes hand in hand with its graphics which wonderfully meld with its atmosphere.

The rest of the game, however, is less than fortunate.

The writing in the game does not reach the standards set by the cRPGs of old as it only ranges from good to sub-par.

The character customization is incredibly shallow. While the karma class system is interesting and flexible, the equipment side of things is lackluster at best. You have two-three weapon slots, of which you will most likely use only one, six equipment slots where you carry your grenades and medikits, and your one armor slot. The are probably only 12 armors, one of which is clearly the best one, and about 6 weapons of each type, again with one clearly being the best. You are able to get cybernetic implants and the game has a interesting balancing mechanic to it, but there are too few options in implants as well.

Combat is also somewhat baffling. In a word, it is like X-COM. You get two action, later three once you progress through the story. The fact that action points are tied to story rather than attributes or equipment is a rather poor design choice. You can use these actions to move, shoot, reload, go into the matrix, cast spell, summon spirits. The simple move system is easy to think tactically, but none of the encounters in the game require you to think that deeply even on the harder difficulties. Combat is spiced up somewhat by the addition of leylines and cover, but cover seems like it was only half implemented as damaged and hit chance does not seem to be reduced.

The game is also incredibly linear with most of the game taking place inside crooked "hallways". Bizarrely the game world is sectioned and you can't move freely between the sections, making the game feel as a disjointed series of vignettes. Additionally, it is all about the main quest, there was only one side mission that I encountered throughout the game.

The save feature also deserved some note. The game does not have a normal save system, instead the game features a weird autosave system.

Shadowrun Returns has great potential, but is hampered by its shallowness and its kooky design choices. It is good, but edging towards the mediocre end of good.
  100. Aug 15, 2013
    I played and loved the tabletop games, as well as the games on the SNES and Genesis. While the game does have its rough patches, it does maintain the spirit of the games, showing the diversity that is core of the Sixth World. The character creation is ok, but I would have loved more customization options. Likewise, the campaign is short, only about 8 to 11 hours when it could have beenI played and loved the tabletop games, as well as the games on the SNES and Genesis. While the game does have its rough patches, it does maintain the spirit of the games, showing the diversity that is core of the Sixth World. The character creation is ok, but I would have loved more customization options. Likewise, the campaign is short, only about 8 to 11 hours when it could have been expanded quite more. Also, unlike the old console games, there are no side missions that would allow you to build up nuyen and equipment.
    In all, a good game that will improve with user generated content.

1. Pelit (Finland)
    Oct 5, 2013
    Shadowrun Returns is a bit more simplistic than I had hoped for, but at the same time it is not bad at all. [Sept 2013]
  2. Sep 13, 2013
    Shadowrun Returns is a faithful reinterpretation (and in a vague sense, sequel) to the SNES game from 20 years ago, maybe a bit too faithful. Though most aspects of the the wild and unruly Shadowrun world is included, the promise of this game lies more in the open embrace of the mod community than the included adventure.
  3. Sep 10, 2013
    Shadowrun Returns will probably please most fans if perhaps not blow anyone out of the water. The campaign is well written and serves as a good introduction for new players. The variety in combat and character creation and dialogue options is great but suffers from a badly implemented autosave system. With lots of new campaigns on the horizon Shadowrun Returns is well worth keeping an eye on.