Shadowrun Returns PC

7.4

1. Oct 6, 2016
    I got this game by steam sale (cheap) and I liked It a lot.
    It has the feeling of the old rpg of the 80's so much that , after years and years, i begin to play a pen & paper Shadowrun short campaign with my family and friends.
    The only cons is limited replayability.
    Will follow Harebrained Schemes in the future.
  2. Feb 21, 2016
    The good: for a game from a small company, this is quite brilliant. Graphics / style is top-notch, story is very well written, UI and game mechanics are mostly very good, and while some character builds definitely make thing much easier, it is possible to play the game through in many different ways.

The ambiguous: the game has excellent, relentless pacing, it proceeds like a well-oiled machine. I did appreciate a lot that the playing time was not at any point artificially expanded by making the player travel back and forth in trivial missions of killing and/or collecting umpteen this-or-that. On the other hand, this could also be interpreted as lack of content by some, but the main storyline is so strong and offers so many hours of high-quality content that at least I felt I got my money's worth and then some. Also, given the small budget there is no voice acting; I did not miss it in the slightest, but some may have a different opinion.

The bad: there's not much, really. Some aspects of the Shadowrun world are not in the game, but I never missed them, the game is really impressive and highly enjoyable as it is. And it would be nice to have an option to switch the fighting mode on and off, or at the very least be able to switch the active character when not in the fighting mode. Minor things that I almost feel ashamed to bring up, all things considered.

TL;DR – 9/10, isometric RPG with very few downsides, loved it.
  3. May 28, 2015
    I got this game way past it's sell date. Picked it up on a weekend sale off steam for $2.49 (usually $14.99). All I can say is if your missing that Shadworun vibe this game is a great simple turn based combat RPG. The game has it's flaws as it is very stripped down. Not enough cyberware. It's best to min/max your character. Sometimes you can't figure out how your whole team had 3 actionsI got this game way past it's sell date. Picked it up on a weekend sale off steam for $2.49 (usually $14.99). All I can say is if your missing that Shadworun vibe this game is a great simple turn based combat RPG. The game has it's flaws as it is very stripped down. Not enough cyberware. It's best to min/max your character. Sometimes you can't figure out how your whole team had 3 actions and all of them missed a guy with 1 hp left with a 99% chance to hit. Saves are at odd points. Some runs are too simple. Some seem to have way to many enemies. But it certainly has the SR vibe. And not many games have it these days. But with all it's flaws, it's SR vibe and turn based combat is great addictive (though sometimes annoying) fun. This game is so good, I find myself desperate for a SR group or MMO. Expand
  4. Apr 4, 2015
    For me this was an almost perfect experience of being drawn into the magical-cybertech-world of Shadowrun. I enjoyed it like I've only enjoyed few gamers over the last few years.
  5. Feb 8, 2015
    Turn-based strategy RPG combo is pretty much the greatest thing ever. The setting, writing, and runs are just fabulous. Shadowrun: Dragonfall is even better!
  6. Feb 6, 2015
    Great game that captures the old school spirit of isometric RPGs.
    The setting and the story are excellent. The campaign feels a bit short (or maybe it was so good that it went on really fast).
  7. Jan 11, 2015
    How do you rate a game like this? It's not a graphical masterpiece, it's not a technical innovator, it's not the most orriginal story, and the setting is one that is amongst the oddest ever conceived for an RPG. Elves, trolls, dwarves and Orcs, magic, and cyberpunk, in a futuristic blade runner inspired near future setting.

What sounds absurd on paper, in the rights hands becomes a

What sounds absurd on paper, in the rights hands becomes a menagerie of flavors that compliment each other and surprise you with how well they work.

So how do you review a game made by fans of the original setting and SNES video game, using a tablet friendly game engine and less than a blockbuster titles budget?

Well, I can't recommend it to everyone. This is not a game that sells itself. This isn't Fallout, or Skyrim...

This is shadowrun, you either know what Shadowrun is/was (if your like me, it's because you'd stay up till 4 am rolling 6 sided dice trying to keep yourself from being clobbered by a troll street samurai while the elf hacked the matrix trying to steal the data your employer wanted. Or because you played the faithful SNES game back in the 90s that was a cult classic).

IF you are familiar with Shadowrun and were a fan, especially if you liked the SNES game from the 90s, you will almost certainly love this game. You might not rate it as highly, but if you keep your expectations set to INDY Tablet Title, you will be pleasantly surprised.

But what if you are not a fan? How do I begin? Let me just tell you the facts:

The game is a nod to traditional isometric tactical RPG's similar to Fallout 1-2 and tactics, but far less crunchy and complicated. The RPG elements are light, but satisfyingly complex enough so that you can quickly see what stats to increase with Karma, and still need to think about what you really need to boost, and whats a waste.

The turn based tactical combat has clearly been designed to be a faithful rendering of what our imaginations looked like when we played the game with dice, but without the hardcore complexity some people might crave. The combat was clearly designed to be accessible to newcomers to the genre, but still deep enough to allow power players a way to crush encounters with superior tactics and planning.

If you are looking for a complex turn based tactical similar set in shadow run, you will be disappointed. This is meant to be an accessible Tactical RPG adventure crafted by people who are serious fans of the setting. This is ultimately what can make or break the gameplay of this game for some people. As I have read many reviews that suggest the tactical element is not as deep as they hoped... while others, myself included, are happy to see the tactical parts are only as deep as they need to be to convey a challenge but also keep the story moving.

The story is IMHO superb. some might call is cliched, but anyone who knows shadowrun, knows the entire setting is supposed to be a cliche. It's supposed to be Blade runner meets Middle earth, with some native American shamanism and some voodoo thrown in for good measure.

Add to the fact hat this game is aimed at people who know the setting, and you will find if you are a newcomer, that some of the characters are clearly meant to be familiar, but you won't know anything about them, specifically right off in the early game you meet a character who fans of the SNES game will immediately recognize. (not a spoiler, it's in the first 10 minutes). So that means this game isn't just full of cliches, it's a cliche of itself.

The graphics are top notch, and run full blast on even the most basic PC I own, the characters appear to be fully 3d renderings, complete with a basic character editor to choose hair, skin and other details, and clothing that can change your appearance. It would have been nice to include a way to see the clothing before you put it on, but thats a minor point.

The environments are technically created as tiles of some sort, but they tend to look hand drawn as if someone drew the scenes in some art program, the way the elements blend together to create areas and scenes, when coupled with the basic lighting effects really manage to hit the sweet spot for charming artistic graphics.

The music and sound all feel right where they need to be, and while it would have been nice to have some voice acting to save you from having to read a lot... it never bothered me a bit, because the writing is well done, and like a good book, you will probably find yourself unable to put it down once you get going.

Overall, I would say to a fan of the setting and SNES game, this is a MUST play game... to everyone else, I think it would be a fine game for your tablet or if you are looking for something quirky and different and yet fairly accessible.

Keep in mind the developers wisely made a toolset so players can make their own content, and many have already done so. So presumably your adventure doesn't have to end, you can make more!
  8. Dec 18, 2014
    Old school isometric rpg adventure with bags of character a great plot and plenty of modern innovation and enhancements. Looks great, plays great and will have you immersed in this bizarre dystopian future for hours upon hours.
  9. Oct 24, 2014
    Fantastic cyberpunk experience and a very pleasant surprise demonstrating that even on low budget you can create a wonderful game.

Sure, there are some budget shortcomings such as no voice overs, not only dialog, but there is actually not a single voice in the entire game, but I grew up on 90's RPGs, so I got used to extensive reading quickly and the game rewarded me with superb story from the Shadowrun universe.

A lot of the criticism is about the linearity of the game, which is true, but it didn't really bother me as it helped the storytelling pace to be more focused and without any weak points. I was enjoying the atmosphere and was intrigued by the story, expecting what will happen next. Descriptions of the world, the characters, dialogs, it's all written very well.

Don't expect a typical RPG with huge world where you can do anything, loot and so on (there isn't even proper inventory management and looting is mostly absent here), this is more of a story driven experience with some RPG elements and tactical turn-based combat ala X-Com which is very nicely done and there is a right amount of challenge. I like the variations of classes, different weapons, magic worked nicely, I played as a Decker and the infiltration where you hack into the matrix to achieve the security breach and you must be quick as the other party members are protecting you from the threats in the real world, experiences like this are what made this game unique and why I love it so much.

Also, after a recent disappointment with ugly visuals of Wasteland 2, another Kickstarter project using the same engine, I must say that I was very pleasantly surprised by all the beautiful hand-drawn visuals here, locations and environments are just gorgeous, most characters have their own hand-drawn pictures and the overall art style is very impressive. Sometimes I just stopped for a moment and appreciated the beauty. The whole thing oozes cyberpunk atmosphere which is supported by a fitting electronic soundtrack.

There is a minor gripe here, ambient tracks are fine, but the combat music is too short and repetitive and because turn-based battles here can last quite some time it repeats on loop over and over and it gets annoying. Another criticism I read in reviews is the absence of manual save and some bugs, but I played already the patched version, where not only you could save and quick save at your own leisure, but I haven't found a single bug in the entire game, completely bug-free (if I don't count the actually bug creatures in the story of course) and that deserves a big thumbs up, especially since this game runs on Unity engine and up to this point, my experience with Unity was extremely bad as all Unity games I played were completely infested with technical glitches, bad optimization and tons of other problems, be it Wasteland 2 or Might & Magic X, so I was afraid Shadowrun will suffer the same symptoms, but obviously when your developers are not completely incompetent, you can create 100% smooth ride even in Unity.

I didn't expect it, but to my surprise Shadowrun Returns is a cyberpunk masterpiece, I loved every minute of it and can strongly recommend it. Looking forward to play Dragonfall expansion. 10/10
  10. Oct 2, 2014
    Very good, uncomplicated and linear role-playing game which is settled in a cyberpunk world, that combines elements of reality, fantasy and science fiction.
    I enjoy the (simple but intuitive) game mechanics, the (Xcom-like) combat, the storyline (in which you try to find a serial killer) and my character developement a lot, havent discovered any bug so far and always knew what i should do next.

Havent had so much enjoyment in a long time, and therefore, can easily recommend!
  11. Aug 26, 2014
    A highly enjoyable action/RPG with a great story and very fun combat elements. Game looks great and well worth a look for anyone who enjoys this mix of genres.
  12. Aug 23, 2014
    Incredible. Simply incredible.
    Having never heard of Shadowrun, apart from a mere read of one or two reviews of the XBOX shooter, I decided to try Shadowrun Returns, and as an RPG, it sounded more up my alley.
    Incredible. Simply incredible.
    I'll just start off with the story that's included with the game, 'Dead Man's Switch'. Dead Man's Switch starts off with your character that you made (it could be an Ork, a Troll, a Dwarf, etc) getting a message from a dead man, asking you to avenge his death.
    Sounds intriguing, no? I won't spoil anything major for you, but there are some serious things happening behind the scenes and some people pulling a lot of strings.
    The gameplay is an isometric RPG, with tactical round based combat. You have action points, which dictate how many moves you can take or what powers you can utilize each turn, and you can customize your character with guns, drones and magic.
    One of the highlights of the game for me is the Matrix. With any Decker character, you can plug yourself into ports and transfer an avatar of yourself into cyberspace. Not only does the Matrix look nice, the music is chilling (throughout the whole game, actually, the music is engaging) and the unique concepts within the Matrix are brilliant- there are some things inside the Matrix that actually hurt your real self- so be careful how much physical health you have before plugging yourself in!
    I did have a few problems with the game sometimes, however, such as not being able to save mid-mission, and the weapon system not being explained enough (why can't I equip a spell alongside my gun and drone?), but overall, a game that is definitely worth your time.
  13. Jul 24, 2014
    Combat is a bit simpler than I like it, but it's a good successor to the franchise. Very texty, it almost feels like an oldschool RPG experience with lots of text to click through. The story is good, the setting works well and the puzzles are a challenge.
    The fights can be a bit long though, and I wish there were more character customisation. Still, definitely worth a player for any RPG fan who likes slower-paced games.
  14. Jul 13, 2014
    I think, I love everything about this game. It could be a little bit longer though, but still one of the coolest games ever played. Soundtrack, characters, scenario and dialogues... great work.
  15. May 28, 2014
    Amazing game, Great story, great game-play, makes you feel like your playing the pen &paper game from 1989, or that your reading one of the novels... Highly recommended it!!!
  16. Apr 25, 2014
    I've always loved the Shadowrun universe since playing it on pen and paper back in the day. This game stays true. Well designed and written. I'm a big fan of the series.
  17. Mar 21, 2014
    Would have given the game a 10 except for the very short length of the main story. Regardless, it was a lot of fun to play through and I've done so more than 4 times with different characters.
  18. Feb 5, 2014
    It's a tricky endeavor to build a game mainly on story and narrative - but Shadowrun Returns handles this with success.

Shadowrun is a lore-rich cyberpunk/fantasy mashup universe which has been explored since the 90s. There are more than 40 novels in English, 5 video games and countless table-top campaigns. There is also an MMO being developed. Having it's back on this lore, this game offers a very compelling story, rich characters and and immersive game play.

One downside, however, is the linearity. Even though character and class variations are well balanced and of satisfactory variety, the playthrough is linear. This wouldn't necessarily be a downside if this game was an action/adventure game; but over the years we've come expect at least some sort of openworld gameplay. I hear, however, the upcoming expansion will be addressing this.

The additional plus for this game is its workshop. You can download user made content (which exist, and are pretty good) from new classes to new campaigns.

Go ahead chummer, you'll like this one. Wiz.
  19. Jan 6, 2014
    Shadowrun Returns is a game for "old school" gamers who like old school turn based RPG's :D
    It has an awesome art design, and soundtrack, but most important for this type of games, it has tons of text a good quality dialog.
    Some say it's a short game. Maybe....but i put in 37 hours, and you will find interesting content created by fans with that awesome Editor that comes with game.
    Story is good. It can keep you on some sort of tension until you reach half of the game. After this moment the story begin to be previsible.
    It has no loot, and almost zero exploration. Yep, it's quite linear and story driven game.
    On the other hand the combat system works flawless, and the skills tree it's original and interesting. But because you can control all your party members, you will play with almost all classes available from first playthrough. So....re-playability is not so good.

I recommend this game to those who look for an old school turn-based RPG placed in an original cyberpunk world.
  20. Jan 3, 2014
    Shadowrun returns is a good game, in the spirit of old RPG's. Graphics are so pretty and combat is very tactical (is a shame enemies in normal mode are too easy, but that's probably to avoid troll younger players). The story is fluid enough to keep you in the trail. With time, the game is going better and better. I don't complain about the Autosave, that's part of the game and you usuallyShadowrun returns is a good game, in the spirit of old RPG's. Graphics are so pretty and combat is very tactical (is a shame enemies in normal mode are too easy, but that's probably to avoid troll younger players). The story is fluid enough to keep you in the trail. With time, the game is going better and better. I don't complain about the Autosave, that's part of the game and you usually will not die so it is not that bad, but, even when I know a RPG is not a Sandbox, the campaign could give us more choices, I mainly missed a MAP, so you could move through the city. Some interface choices are bad too, like that avoiding you change your equipment until you buy something or reach your locker. In the end, the game is more enjoyable than a lot of big titles out there and it deserves everyone in RPG or Tactical mood gives it a chance. Expand
  21. Dec 19, 2013
    I went into this game having no prior knowledge of Shadowrun other than some general knowledge about the setting. I have to say this game has made me a fan, extremely well written and well put together campaign. My only complaint is that it feels very very short for this type of game, I was just getting into it when it ended, which was extremely disappointing. The combat and characterI went into this game having no prior knowledge of Shadowrun other than some general knowledge about the setting. I have to say this game has made me a fan, extremely well written and well put together campaign. My only complaint is that it feels very very short for this type of game, I was just getting into it when it ended, which was extremely disappointing. The combat and character development is interesting and the challenge was sufficient on the higher difficulty settings. I can't wait for their next official campaign and to try some user created ones. Expand
  22. Dec 2, 2013
    Being a long time fan of cyberpunk when the game came on sale I was like what the heck, why not. I was in for a very VERY pleasant surprise.
    The game is indie but the only thing really reflecting this is the graphics. It does seem a bit dated but if you can live without everything reflecting everything and such gimmicks, you will see a well written story (the first few hours at least that I played through so far), great atmosphere, real role play game-like descriptions.
    The magic, the races, the cyber, the Matrix... everything is there. No wonder of course since the game was made by a company led by Jordan Weisman, the person who designed the Shadowrun tabletop game, so I guess it hardly gets more authentic than that.
    Since I haven't finished the game yet I can't really judge the story or the late game balance, but what I can tell is that the true strength of the game lies in modding so instead of buying pricey DLCs you can actually get free user generated content. Now if I learned anything over my years of tabletop RPGs it is that people who are into it are enthusiastic and creative beyond imagination but also very adamant in interpreting the world and the rules in their own way so I am sure it is a good idea to be on the lookout for some great mods.

Once I finish the game I will change my score to 10 (or not)
  23. Nov 26, 2013
    Having played and been a fan of previous Shadowrun titles, and having many fond memories, I found this to be a welcome and long over-due addition to the series. Younger players may not appreciate this very much since this is a game straight out of 1992, but this is exactly the kind of game I wanted from countless titles I've purchased in the past for much more.

Technically speaking, the

Technically speaking, the game doesn't raise any standards, in fact it is a little old-school, but so are its tabletop roleplaying roots. And in the spirit of its table-top predecessors, I think the depth of customization offered is something I've only found in a couple games, ever. A fully featured campaign asset creator.

If you're looking for a game that offers amazing capability in authoring your own turn-based RPG stories and adventures, and don't mind sacrificing a little technical advancement to keep things simple, then this will likely be right up your alley. But don't expect AAA, 200hour, custom physics engine fanciness. Shadowrun Returns is definitely one of my favorite isometric RPGs for PC.
  24. Nov 10, 2013
    Not many hardcore RPGs are made nowadays. I've spent nice time playing this game. However, I think that the ending in main campaign was incomplete. I'm not going to spoil anything, but I had this feeling that it could have been something more. Though, the game all in all was fun to play, you always can try campaigns made by others and the game reminded me of first & second Fallout, whichNot many hardcore RPGs are made nowadays. I've spent nice time playing this game. However, I think that the ending in main campaign was incomplete. I'm not going to spoil anything, but I had this feeling that it could have been something more. Though, the game all in all was fun to play, you always can try campaigns made by others and the game reminded me of first & second Fallout, which I'm going to play again. Dear God, I love RPGs! Expand
  25. Nov 9, 2013
    Quite enjoyable, if unfortunately linear. The original cyberpunk ambience is wonderful, though, and the free-for-all editor with Steam Workshop integration and a big focus on community creations sets it apart.
  26. Oct 31, 2013
    Shadowrun Returns' Dead Man's Switch will leave a lasting impression similar to the movie Se7en. SRR makes you make some ethical and moral decisions without keeping track of your ‘alignment' like Bioware and Bethesda games do. As a direct result, every single decision you make feel meaningful and not like you're making the “good” or “bad” decision because your character is going to beShadowrun Returns' Dead Man's Switch will leave a lasting impression similar to the movie Se7en. SRR makes you make some ethical and moral decisions without keeping track of your ‘alignment' like Bioware and Bethesda games do. As a direct result, every single decision you make feel meaningful and not like you're making the “good” or “bad” decision because your character is going to be “good” or “bad” for a desired ending or achievement. In my mind SRR has one of the more memorable plots I have played in any video game which is actually assisted by the length of the game. Any game that can be played in a few hardcore gaming sessions will probably leave a better impression on you because you don't feel like there's 40 hours of buildup to an ending or plot twist. Harebrained Schemes decided to name the game Shadowrun Returns, and return Shadowrun has. Expand
  27. Oct 28, 2013
    A very good game the first time through the mechanics are interesting, the story is both intelligible and engaging, while the numerous characters if somewhat shallow are engaging.
    The second time through however is where it slips, as you'll find your choices have no real impact on the story and as a result there's very little variation it quickly becomes dull.
    Your 'personality' is only
    Your 'personality' is only what you interpret it to be, if you're rude to npcs it won't impact any conversation tree.
    Overall a very fun game but for re-playability you'll have to look to either expansions or community mods.
  28. Oct 10, 2013
    Amazing game. I didn't play the original game (in fact I didn't even know anything about it 'till I played this one). The first few seconds I was skeptical about me really getting to play the game 'cause of the very retro artstyle and high emphasis on reading and reading and reading more texts...

But then I just decided to give it a chance... and boy am I glad I did. This game has the

But then I just decided to give it a chance... and boy am I glad I did.
    This game has the soul that games like FF7 had. It has a lot of charisma in it and how the universe, the story, the soundtrack (AMAZING) and the design become one and sucks you right in all the way to the end make this game outstanding.

It's not perfect tho, you seem to be able to make a lot of decisions but it's all a lie, almost nothing you choose to do actually change anything in the game.
    And at some point I got a bug that froze the mission and got me stuck to the point I had to load an earlier save, like some script wouldn't happen or something... and that's a bad thing.

Other than that, it's one of those ''special games'', I really liked it.
  29. Oct 8, 2013
    nice game great story and combat system my only disappoint is the save system but the game worth the money hope to see more game from this developer and maybe a story a little plus long
  30. Oct 6, 2013
    Great tactic rpg in fantastic Shadowrun universe. Nice hero making possibility and without cheating You can really be whatever You want and it is also playable. Making Your own team can easily match the differences between classes. Pity it is not so long, but main plot is quite interesting and barely naive. Game absolutely necessary for every old timer rpg fan. Gameplay is good and quiteGreat tactic rpg in fantastic Shadowrun universe. Nice hero making possibility and without cheating You can really be whatever You want and it is also playable. Making Your own team can easily match the differences between classes. Pity it is not so long, but main plot is quite interesting and barely naive. Game absolutely necessary for every old timer rpg fan. Gameplay is good and quite rich. Graphics are great flowing in good sci-fi climate souse. Expand
  31. Sep 22, 2013
    10/10 that is my valuation. For an independent, Kickstarter-based game, it is a pure gem. The story is really involving, the mood is amazing, and of course the game-mechanics are also well-defined. It could be polished here-and-there, the graphics/animations could be better, some bugs were also present (not game breaking), but overall in its category this game is simply outstanding. I10/10 that is my valuation. For an independent, Kickstarter-based game, it is a pure gem. The story is really involving, the mood is amazing, and of course the game-mechanics are also well-defined. It could be polished here-and-there, the graphics/animations could be better, some bugs were also present (not game breaking), but overall in its category this game is simply outstanding. I recommend it to everybody, who loves cyberpunk, RPGs, turn-based strategy... Thank you, Harebrained Schemes (and Jordan Weisman) for creating this thrilling world+journey for me to escape everydays for a few days and nights:))) Expand
  32. Sep 20, 2013
    A pretty fun game, especially since I came in with no expectations. There's little replay value, as the game revolves around a couple mysteries that just cant hold my attention the second time around. Still, the system is fairly interesting, and combat is ok.
  33. Sep 20, 2013
    Great game, I've been waiting for a good turn based game for a while. A bit short, but free expansion is coming out soon! It's a bit slow at first, but then picks up. Story was alright, but could of been better.
  34. Sep 17, 2013
    The game is a lot of fun, and while it sacrifices a lot of the complexity and variation possible in the tabletop system, it makes for a functional PC game experience. The writing for the core campaign is excellent, and that combined with the game tilesets create an immersive world for the sprawl of 2050s Seattle. in a dystopian cyberpunk future run by feuding megacorps, street gangs, andThe game is a lot of fun, and while it sacrifices a lot of the complexity and variation possible in the tabletop system, it makes for a functional PC game experience. The writing for the core campaign is excellent, and that combined with the game tilesets create an immersive world for the sprawl of 2050s Seattle. in a dystopian cyberpunk future run by feuding megacorps, street gangs, and immortals.

The soundtrack is lively, a just jarring enough to keep you alert. The core campaign isn't unduly challenging, but isn't easy either, and good squad tactics become essential for the later missions.

The toolset that comes with the game is one of the stronger touted features, and a number of fans are already kicking out their own mods, with varying qualities of writing and encounters.

If you want to get a fun, fairly simple, and inexpensive RPG Shadowrun Returns provides good bang for your buck.
  35. Sep 10, 2013
    So Shadowrun definitely has its shortcomings, but the game was so much fun that it's stuck in my head all of this time later. I keep listening to the soundtrack over, and over, and over.
    Honestly, while I was playing the game the save system was frustrating-but now, looking back, it added a certain realism and pulse-pounding edge to the battles. I recall escaping a couple of times by the skin of my teeth, and hanging onto the edge of my seat while doing it. The combat was great, and honestly, by making it so you can't just hit "redo", it encourages you to be more cautious and tactical, making it even more fun! Honestly, this review is mostly to refute the negative reaction to the save system.
    I played on a standard Windows 7 system a couple weeks after release and had no trouble with crashes or bugs.
  36. Sep 8, 2013
    Incredible game that is very entertaining with unlimited possibilities for free expansion. The story that comes with the game is written well, is entertaining, and decently long. The game mechanics are very well done and conform to the Shadowrun rule set while still being in the background so it doesn't get in the way or make the game feel limited. The price of the game at 20 bucks isIncredible game that is very entertaining with unlimited possibilities for free expansion. The story that comes with the game is written well, is entertaining, and decently long. The game mechanics are very well done and conform to the Shadowrun rule set while still being in the background so it doesn't get in the way or make the game feel limited. The price of the game at 20 bucks is well worth it, and I applaud the game makers for not trying to gouge loyal fans! I do have a few complaints about the game that stop it from being a perfect 10. 1. The graphics could be a little better, but they aren't horrible for a top down strategy game. 2. The ability to rotate the screen to see different angles would be a welcome addition. Seeing everything in one angle is highly annoying and seems very limited and dated. 3. For the love of God, FIX THE SAVE GAME SYSTEM. This is my biggest complaint. It does not make sense, and seems pointless as you can only load from the start of missions anyway. The "copy" save games is buried in the load game screen for some reason, and it doesn't really even do anything. Either make it more traditional so we can save whenever we want, or make it more user friendly and explain how in the world it's supposed to work! Can't wait for new story content that is complete and works by the community! Expand
  37. Sep 4, 2013
    I love the Shadowrun world and therefor would have loved to have given this game a 10 but I felt the strategy aspect could have been highlighted a bit better. I've played a ton of strategy games and this didn't really make me stop to think about what I had do to win, just sort of push this way or duck behind that. That being said, the included story has wonderful characters that are reallyI love the Shadowrun world and therefor would have loved to have given this game a 10 but I felt the strategy aspect could have been highlighted a bit better. I've played a ton of strategy games and this didn't really make me stop to think about what I had do to win, just sort of push this way or duck behind that. That being said, the included story has wonderful characters that are really memorable. It's actually more than I expected it to be and (bonus) is true to the Shadowrun canon. The editor, and the user generated content just mean you don't have to stop or play the same story over, over and over again, like most games. Overall, great game with lots of drek to do. Expand
  38. Sep 2, 2013
    Really great story and interesting characters even if they are a bit archetypal. Definitely worth the low price tag. Bonus points for shipping with a massive campaign editor. The single launch campaign seems to just be skimming the surface of a massive world that leaves you craving more.
  39. Aug 31, 2013
    This is a fantastic game, It feels like a classic Table Top game, If you like RPG Table Top this is without a doubt the game for you, it's also Punk ^_^ who doesn't like PUNK!! great game keep it coming.
  40. Aug 30, 2013
    The Shadowrun Universe is, hands down, one of the most entertaining and well-developed settings you could hope for in a game, and Shadowrun Returns hits most of the high-notes. A game designed around an editor (rather than a editor derived from a game) makes future quality content by the "mod" community all but assured. Some game-design choices give the sense that a larger budget couldThe Shadowrun Universe is, hands down, one of the most entertaining and well-developed settings you could hope for in a game, and Shadowrun Returns hits most of the high-notes. A game designed around an editor (rather than a editor derived from a game) makes future quality content by the "mod" community all but assured. Some game-design choices give the sense that a larger budget could have helped (the save-game system precludes easily saving "anywhere" but instead relies on linear checkpoints). But given the low initial price ($19.99 USD), the game feels fairly-priced, with room to grow. A great game for RPG fans. Expand
  41. Aug 28, 2013
    Shadowrun Returns is a HUGE leap forward for games in the Role-playing genre. Not for it's gameplay, which is fairly generic turn based tactical combat, but in the fact that it is shipped with the same editor the creators of the game used to make it. No modding is required to add your own content, just some time and patience.

If you are not into creating your own stories for others to

If you are not into creating your own stories for others to enjoy then the upside of this is the fact that there are hundreds, if not more, people who love to craft stories for you to enjoy. It is possible for each and every person to craft professional-level campaigns using the level editor and a bit of imagination.

The actual gameplay is fairly generic, however. Out of combat there is a lot of talking and searching and once combat is engaged it switches to a turn-based tactical game. There are a decent amount of equipment with the ability to create more in the editor and you can build your character however you wish. It scratches an itch that most RPGs on the market can't, and that is depth. If you find a story that is written well, then this game can provide you with a satisfied feeling that even big budget RPGs like Skyrim cannot.

I highly recommend this game to anyone who enjoys playing RPGs and even more to anyone who enjoys creating content that can and will be enjoyed by a wide range of people.
  42. Aug 26, 2013
    An absolute classic as far as I'm concerned and a unique experience among modern games (at least as far as the story and setting is concerned). Great multi-faceted storyline with equal or more "weight" than most other RPGs and simple overall gameplay that is nonetheless nuanced enough to always be fresh, entertaining, and strategically-challenging as you level up your character and planAn absolute classic as far as I'm concerned and a unique experience among modern games (at least as far as the story and setting is concerned). Great multi-faceted storyline with equal or more "weight" than most other RPGs and simple overall gameplay that is nonetheless nuanced enough to always be fresh, entertaining, and strategically-challenging as you level up your character and plan for each next battle.

Somewhat rough around the edges, though: Combat can be merciless (depending on your difficulty setting personally I played the given campaign on the highest difficulty) if you don't pay attention to the flow of each battle and it can drag on a bit at times as well, especially if you die; dying will piss you off due to the auto-save mechanic that uses zone saves rather than saving dynamically between encounters. However, even though I played in the maximum difficulty, I didn't die often, since dying is frustrating enough that it forces you to think about what you're doing during combat (which works for most situations, unless you get exceptionally unlucky during a tough fight or forget to stock up on plenty of healing and rezzes or invest in healer before heading into a combat section).

The story is amazing, but like the combat it expects you to pay close attention to it to follow what's going on. Also the game is fairly linear for an RPG; though the engine definitely allows for more elaborate things than it shows in the given campaign, the choices you make in it (composed mostly of dialogue) give you little more than money-rewarding (or money-saving) and combat-skirting alternate routes. Other than that... occasional typos in dialogue and other text will make you do a double-take, but aren't terrible enough to make anything illegible; you may notice various logic gaps in the story (though without a second play-through, it's hard to tell if I just wasn't paying enough attention at key moments), and at times your character might seem to be solving the mystery of the story before you, or with seemingly little evidence to go on; the story escalates in scope jarringly fast at times and focuses too little on each new revelation and also explains it far summarily (though perhaps this is to be subtle and/or entice you to research the Shadowrun table-top setting on your own, as I did).

!!SUMMARY!! A somewhat less epic (or perhaps "abridged") bleak futuristic guns-and-sorcery version of Baldur's Gate II that mixes (for the most part, successfully) 1 part intriguing real world sociopolitical elements and 2 parts real world mysticism and Dungeons-&-Dragons-style high fantasy... with all the expected interactive trimmings (dialogue, items, some puzzles, etc.) of a classic turn-based RPG and a fun but arguably deceptively simple combat system to boot.

(8.9 10)
  43. Aug 25, 2013
    Love it. Been waiting for a modern Shadowrun game for ages. The campaign they give you was entertaining and a decent intro to what the editor is capable of. There are people making noise because they didn't care for the campaign that came with it and there are not a lot user-generated campaigns to play yet. What the game editor is capable of is very much worth being a little patient andLove it. Been waiting for a modern Shadowrun game for ages. The campaign they give you was entertaining and a decent intro to what the editor is capable of. There are people making noise because they didn't care for the campaign that came with it and there are not a lot user-generated campaigns to play yet. What the game editor is capable of is very much worth being a little patient and worth tinkering with yourself. Expand
  44. Aug 25, 2013
    It's a very good game, that brings back unique RPG mixing science and magic in dark futuristic setting. Shadowrun Returns is a worthy successor to it's predecessors with very fun and addictive gameplay.
  45. Aug 23, 2013
    Shadowrun Returns is great old school RPG gaming period. While I have seen some complaints of graphics, storyline, etc for a gaming nerd such as myself it's a great trip back to the days of all night campaign sessions and bad jokes.

With the custom editor and material already becoming available, I see a lot of potential for those of us wanting more than FPS killing sprees or RPGs that to be quite frank, are not.
  46. Aug 21, 2013
    Delivered precisely what I wanted from them.

Is it short? Yes. Are the tactical options somewhat limited? Yes. Is the tactical iso combat frustrating and unintuitive at points? Absolute.

But did it capture the essential flavor of the original SNES and Genesis game? Yes! Is it a decent tactical turn based squad game? Yes. Is the story better than 90% of games out there? Very much so.
  47. Aug 16, 2013
    Love the setting, love the look, love the gameplay. My only complaints are that its a little short and a little buggy. Neither of which should put you off snapping it up. Its well worth your time & money.

Plus with the Berlin expansion and community created content I reckon there's a lot of mileage left.
  48. Aug 16, 2013
    Not huge, but pretty. Way better than a lot of the other games being offered by kickstarted publishers.

Here is another sentence to get it to 150 characters,
  49. Aug 15, 2013
    I played and loved the tabletop games, as well as the games on the SNES and Genesis. While the game does have its rough patches, it does maintain the spirit of the games, showing the diversity that is core of the Sixth World. The character creation is ok, but I would have loved more customization options. Likewise, the campaign is short, only about 8 to 11 hours when it could have beenI played and loved the tabletop games, as well as the games on the SNES and Genesis. While the game does have its rough patches, it does maintain the spirit of the games, showing the diversity that is core of the Sixth World. The character creation is ok, but I would have loved more customization options. Likewise, the campaign is short, only about 8 to 11 hours when it could have been expanded quite more. Also, unlike the old console games, there are no side missions that would allow you to build up nuyen and equipment.
    In all, a good game that will improve with user generated content.
  50. Aug 15, 2013
    Very good RPG with nice atmospheric environment, music,dialogues and scenario. If it was just a bit more refined it would remind me of Planescape Torment. Waiting for expansion packs that will deliver it's full potential.
  51. Aug 13, 2013
    A very solid game that echoes of Baldur's Gate 1 and old school console RPG's.

A very solid game that echoes of Baldur's Gate 1 and old school console RPG's.

The checkpoint system may seem intimidating at first, but the game saves after every room so not much time is lost if you die. It actually brings back that sense of tension you get from playing the old console RPG's that isn't as tangible with the save-anywhere system we're all so used to abusing. The game's also pretty forgiving with regards to character building as good tactical play and intelligent item usage can carry you through most situations. So again, the lack of a save-anywhere system doesn't make much of an impact.

The major flaws in the game are its relatively short length and linearity. The linearity of the game is somewhat alleviated by a well-paced narrative, but the length is a sore point as the game seems to end right after you've grown attached to the world and its characters. That said, for a $20 game, 15-20 hours of solid gameplay is very reasonable, and that's not counting the user-generated content.

I came into the experience with a lot of doubts, but after giving the game a chance, I can say I'm fairly impressed. All-in-all, if you appreciate the kind of gameplay that older generations have enjoyed, then don't hesitate and give it a try!
  52. Aug 11, 2013
    I love this game. At first the combat mechanics and significant text threw me off, but I love the Shadowrun universe, and this game quickly won me over. With dozens of user generated addons already in their infancy, this game has tremendous replay value outside of the main quest. The team that created the game and main quest are also creating a new campaign, which should be fantastic.
  53. Aug 10, 2013
    A solid, old-school tactical RPG that stays true to its source material and remains fun to play on followup character builds. SRR is very obviously a work in progress, with the scope hopefully widening considerably in the upcoming Berlin expansion. The editor is going to be its ace-in-the-hole, with user content building an effectively infinite number of 'runs for players to explore.A solid, old-school tactical RPG that stays true to its source material and remains fun to play on followup character builds. SRR is very obviously a work in progress, with the scope hopefully widening considerably in the upcoming Berlin expansion. The editor is going to be its ace-in-the-hole, with user content building an effectively infinite number of 'runs for players to explore. This'll be a good one.
    Oh, and to offer a counterpoint I actually appreciated the lack of an on-demand save feature. It required a little thought and care not to get killed. And your biggest setback was maybe 20 minutes of play, if that.
  54. Aug 9, 2013
    This was the first "major" kickstarter campaign I funded that came to fruition, and the first one where I can honestly say "money well invested".
    For it's limited budget and short development time, the game delivers exactly what it intended to. Solid, old school roleplaying in a well-loved setting. It catches the atmosphere and the "feel" of the universe just perfectly IMO. The graphic style and looks are superb for me.
    The initial campaign is short, but very well done. It has a wonderful "detective noir" flair in the first act, many references for old shadowrun players and readers, and some pretty interesting battles, none of which feel like filler material just there to increase game time. The second act is a bit more linear, but still well written and with some very satisfying runs.
    The tactical turn-based combat is interesting, though not perfect yet, but it beats most modern RPG hackfests hands down. The interface is a bit too "tablet style" for my taste, as is the inventory system.
    The save game system is bad, no doubt about that. At least a "save on exit" option badly needs to be implemented, as some checkpoint are *very* far from each other.
    The campaign is pretty short (about 12 hours for a thorough playthrough), but I take quality over quantity any time. And I still get the Berlin campaign in October. :-)
    All in all, I'd rate it a 7, and add an extra point for the editor, that has already yielded a few short but interesting user made runs, and for the upcoming Berlin Campaign that I'm really looking forward for.
  55. Aug 8, 2013
    Amazing game, really well designed great dialogues, music, and best of all combat system Xcom style. And infinite number of missions thanks to the user generated content. I like it more than fallout or skyrim I can't really put it down
  56. Aug 7, 2013
    Just finished the game; Overall I enjoyed the experience quite a bit. The main campaign that comes with the game "Dead Man's Switch" runs about 12 or so hours. I truly enjoyed the game's story and tactical combat; however in my opinion only Hard and Very Hard difficulties offer any challenge. So here are some Pros and Cons:

Pros: - Great Storyline - Good atmosphere - Tactical

Pros:
    - Great Storyline
    - Good atmosphere
    - Tactical Combat (on Hard or Very Hard)
    - Pretty Solid Dialog

Cons:
    - No Save Game; only checkpoint save (Modders have already figured out how to change this)
    - Very Linear
    - Lack of dialog consequences; Need to believe that dialog options matter
  57. Aug 7, 2013
    Bought this out of nostalgia for my younger years, where i was a spotty teenager waiting for my dad to return from a trip over sea's and he had promised to bring a couple of books back if i had been good for my mum while he was gone.
    The book he brought back was Never deal with a Dragon, that was the point when i first encountered the Shadowrun Universe and I loved reading about it.

Unfortunately my mates didn't Fancy Shadowrun the Rpg. So my experiences were limited to the Books.

When this came out i cynically looked at the screen shots and thought wtf in a day and age when we have big budget games with Graphics like The Witcher and Oblivion why would anyone want to play that Donkey Poo.

However over the next couple of weeks it kept playing on my mind how much i had enjoyed the books and maybe i was missing a trick as with review around 75% on metcaritic it couldn't be that bad.

So i took the plunge,

Wow am i glad i did The game has obviously been crafted by enthusiasts who really believed in the project and i only found how the game came in to existence with Kickstarter afterwards.

The games made the years fall away in my mind and all of a sudden i was Big-G the Assault Rifle Wielding Street Samurai Kicking out Licks and smacking down with impunity .

The story line was lovingly crafted and kept my entertained from its inception to its dramatic conclusion.

Now i am going to replay through as one of the other builds and may even step into the user created content as every one says this will be where lots of hidden gems are going to be over the coming months.

So in summary for the price of £15 i had a thoroughly entertaining time and loved every minute of it.

Can you now please hurry up with Berlin as Cyber-G wants to come and show how he dominates the Matrix
  58. Aug 7, 2013
    I actually never played any Shadowrun games before this, but it reminded me of many other games I loved and played all the time when growing up. After playing through Deadman's Switch I have to say this game is absolutely fantastic!
    Where do I begin? The art and the detail in each area and character is very nice, the rules are sleek and easy to learn (though at first I was a bit intimidated coming into a ruleset I had no prior experience with). The combat system flows great, it really keeps your interest. The writing is amazing, it feels like I am reading a good novel at times. On top of it all the music is sleek and fitting to the cyberpunk setting.

I do have a few complaints, I did find some bugs, while not game breaking, they were an annoyance for a bit. And while the character development is solid for most of the characters that are a part of the story, I really wish I could interact more with the runners I hire, a one sentence description of the character does not do them justice.

Because of this game I am looking into playing the Pen and Paper Shadowrun as well. Overall I would highly recommend this game to anyone that enjoyed games such as Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights (if you love user made campaigns), or XCOM.
  59. Aug 6, 2013
    I'll keep it short. Jordan and his team are actually revived Shadowrun. I've got exactly what I almost lost any hope of getting mission-based role-playing game with the heavy emphasis on the story, stylish 2D visuals and involved turn-based combat. Actually, if you're a fan of the franchise, you should stop reading my pathetic review right now and get this game. Yes. Do that. For anyI'll keep it short. Jordan and his team are actually revived Shadowrun. I've got exactly what I almost lost any hope of getting mission-based role-playing game with the heavy emphasis on the story, stylish 2D visuals and involved turn-based combat. Actually, if you're a fan of the franchise, you should stop reading my pathetic review right now and get this game. Yes. Do that. For any other old school folks that are still looking back to the "good old days" when Fallout, X-COM or Jagged Alliance have eaten most of your school homework time, this game will be awesome modernized throwback to the stuff you've been missing. And, please, don't let me started on the "reboot well-known franchise from the days gone by as a FPS" trend, just roll Spoony's Betrayal music video instead Is the end result perfect? No. I would like more Mr. Johnson missions, more gear, more well-written dialogues, more item and interior description goodness, more shots of the rain-soaked Seattle. But, you know what, the end result is still awesome. Well, I better stop here. Just the day before the game was finally released, Jordan have posted video on the project website, where he and the team thanked everyone who supported, waited and believed. Now I want to return my gratitude. Jordan, Harebrained Schemes, thank you for creating this game. Logging out. Expand
  60. Aug 5, 2013
    I'm really enjoying this game even though others complain that the game is too linear. I love games with a great story line and for me, it's doing just that. It's pulling me in with a very "who-done-it" murder mystery and allowing me to fill in the blanks with multiple conversation choices. The side quests are great too, which add little tidbits to the current quest you're trying toI'm really enjoying this game even though others complain that the game is too linear. I love games with a great story line and for me, it's doing just that. It's pulling me in with a very "who-done-it" murder mystery and allowing me to fill in the blanks with multiple conversation choices. The side quests are great too, which add little tidbits to the current quest you're trying to complete.

Some of the things I love about this game, right off the bat, creating my character. Spending karma points seemed a bit daunting at first but then loved the way they built the skill tree like structure. Once I took a minute to study how it worked, it made so much sense and seemed natural. You want better melee skills, well you better be strong first. The other item I enjoyed is the art style used to create the game. The like camera angle and point-click was a great way to interact with the game. What I also like about the game is that anyone can make their own Shadowrun and present it to the world as user created content to get even more use out of the game.

The only two negative things for me so far are is that it's linear (but this is only a small complaint in my book) and the lack of save feature. The only way to save is via the auto-save at the start of each level. I must have had to restart the 3rd chapter 3-4 times before I finally had enough time to get past a stuck point and move on with the story line.

All in all, I gave the game a 9/10 due to the lack of saving any time or a better auto-save feature. It's still a great game regardless of this point and anyone that loves a RPG/Strategy game will be sure to love this, especially with the fantasy/sci-fi blend it presents.
  61. Aug 5, 2013
    A wonderful game all around. Captures the feel of the game and several old video games. I've played through the game and the interface is very clean. I'm glad that the crowd source worked for them.
  62. Aug 4, 2013
    Great storytelling and visual atmosphere. Background graphics are sharp and simple, whereas character graphics are a bit dated. Overall a great old-school Shadowrun experience.
  63. Aug 4, 2013
    Solid turn-based combat in a game that seems to have payed much attention to detail and world building. Every character you talk to has a good paragraph or two describing them, and you really feel like you're soaking in the atmosphere when you play. I was new to the shadowrun universe and quite enjoyed the unique vernacular of the world, as well, which did even more to suck me in. It'sSolid turn-based combat in a game that seems to have payed much attention to detail and world building. Every character you talk to has a good paragraph or two describing them, and you really feel like you're soaking in the atmosphere when you play. I was new to the shadowrun universe and quite enjoyed the unique vernacular of the world, as well, which did even more to suck me in. It's strange for me to say this, but the highlight of this game really was the conversations for me and not what most people would consider the core gameplay, that being the combat. The environments also look quite nice and suit their setting well, and I was surprised to find I actually liked the 3D character in a 2D world look the game had going for it, which I really didn't expect. There are definitely some problems with this game, though.

There is no save function. Not just no quicksave function. There's no manual save function at all. Everything saves by autosave which doesn't even happen that frequently, so if you're not marathoning this game in a day or two like I did, expect to have to redo small pieces. I don't know who decided that was a good idea for a PC RPG, but they're a real ****

The music can get pretty repetitive when you're in combat and doesn't seem to change a lot, though it works well for atmosphere when out of combat. I also had some small bugs, such as the text tree under a NPC's conversation with me being invisible until I scrolled my mouse over it, but nothing too serious. The story also gets a little silly by the end, but it seems to acknowledge it which kind of makes it hard to criticize. Probably my biggest gripe, though, is how linear the game is. There are a handful (and that's being generous) of sidequests, and besides that all you can do is continue along the path set out for you. That isn't always a bad thing, but with the setting this game lays out, I feel like I'd really enjoy being able to go out and explore the environment a little more.

I'd definitely recommend this game for people who enjoy cyberpunk books or media, or who have previously enjoyed the shadowrun universe. It's a thoroughly enjoyable entry into that unfortunately underutilized genre in games, if you can get over the trifling problems.
  64. Aug 4, 2013
    Great dialogue, engaging characters, a cohesive expanding storyline and all the cyberpunk trimmings done right. Be forewarned that saves are checkpoint based, but thankfully, you can always "rewind" to a previous checkpoint to reassess earlier decisions.
  65. Aug 3, 2013
    What an astonishingly fun game! It's simple, it's unpretentious, and it'll keep you playing...and playing...and playing. It's easily the best turn-based tactical game of the last two years for me.

I came into it knowing that the default adventure, Dead Man's Switch, was only one of countless adventures that were already in the works. Sure, it's a bit linear, but it's pure Shadowrun, and it comes with all the options. You want your own custom character portrait? There's a way to do that. You want a particular piece of cyberware? It's probably there. You like player hideouts? There's one of those.

If you don't end up liking Dead Man's Switch, remember that so many more adventures are in the works, including tons of 2nd Edition adventures already being made for the game, courtesy of a group called Shadowrun Identity.

For such a versatile blast of a game, the price tag isn't bad either.
  66. Aug 2, 2013
    Despite lack of funds (many of funds raised on kickstarter was used on gifts) its very good game, that brings back unique RPG mixing science and magic in dark futuristic setting. It is simplified old school tactical RPG, with some bugs (at the time release). True fans of Shadowrun might disappoint lack of Astral plane, unlimited ammo, no weariness after casting spell (instead a cooldownDespite lack of funds (many of funds raised on kickstarter was used on gifts) its very good game, that brings back unique RPG mixing science and magic in dark futuristic setting. It is simplified old school tactical RPG, with some bugs (at the time release). True fans of Shadowrun might disappoint lack of Astral plane, unlimited ammo, no weariness after casting spell (instead a cooldown time is used). Tactical minded player might miss full camera rotation option, as game is only pseudo-3D.
    Generals minus is fully automatic save points system.
    Despite all cons the cons, the game is fun¨to play, music is very good and community is cooking new adventures. Story of Dead man¨s switch is intriguing with few twists and fits well into Shadowrun universe.
    Playing through this game I would highly recommend. It´s tactician must have!!
  67. Aug 2, 2013
    The main Shadowrun campaign has taken a lot of hostility for not being open world enough or as endlessly branching as other traditional tactical RGPs, however this is, perhaps, missing the point. The campaign serves as an introduction to the mechanics and the core concepts of the world whilst keeping to a small, tightly woven narrative and for the most part, it achieves this, despiteThe main Shadowrun campaign has taken a lot of hostility for not being open world enough or as endlessly branching as other traditional tactical RGPs, however this is, perhaps, missing the point. The campaign serves as an introduction to the mechanics and the core concepts of the world whilst keeping to a small, tightly woven narrative and for the most part, it achieves this, despite resorting to leading players by the nose.
    Playing through the first hour and beyond, it feels as if harebrained schemes had the intention of creating a vast open world and aborted their effort early on in order to focus on the story editor.
    This means that while the main campaign doesn't fully explore its multitude of good ideas (ie; making creative use of the matrix/ exploring the many cultures, groups and factions), the editor seems versatile enough to allow to players to do that themselves.
    Having toyed around with the editor, I see no reason why open world, branching stories won't become available in the near future.
    Conversation branches are reasonably easy to create, as are convincing hand drawn locations. Given a little creativity on the community's part, Shadowrun may soon balloon with deep, engaging stories that go beyond the main campaign.
  68. Aug 1, 2013
    Good game, not great, but good.
    Pros:
    -Atmosphere
    -Dialogues
    -Story
    -Visual style
    -Turn-Based Combat
    -Price
    -Setting
    I'd say that this game reminded me of first Fallout, I mean the overall feel.
  69. Aug 1, 2013
    If you are fairly young and play a lot of modern action/RPG games you may not like this game. If you've only really played Mass Effect and Dragon Age then this is going to seem like an interactive storybook and you'll wonder where all the animations and cut-scenes are.

If the mention of Fallout 1+2, Baldurs Gate, Zork, Monkey Island, Beneath a Steel Sky, Dreamscape, B.A.T, Planescape Torment, Valhalla, Dune all make you quiver with fond memories then step right in and grab this game with both hands!

I love it. Completed the small story that it comes with in 2 days with a Ninja Elf Shaman Decker (Yeah why not!) and then straight back in with a new character and made a Troll with a shotgun. Its been less than a week at time of writing this review and the steam workshop is already filled with some great user content. I had a quick go at writing a story last night and it was ace fun! Very complex but enjoyable toolset.

This game is going to be the gift that keeps on giving and if your prepared to be part of the shadowrun returns community then your going to get tonnes out of it!
  70. Aug 1, 2013
    An Honest Review, without wasting your time.

An Honest Review, without wasting your time.

An amazing concept, realized with good skills and amazing writing. Showing the value of Kickstarter, this is easily one of if not the best RPG's of the year. With custom content (available in the first few months), an open roleplaying ruleset, and editors galore and a community to back it, this is my new favorite PnP RPG on PC. Does it have bugs? you betcha. Aside from a general focus on story (which was flawless) over combat, at times it was very slow with little action, hard to click areas and a general stubbornness of clickable artifacts and precision of the mouse cursor. I say this out of respect and keeping it all in balance, it still deserves its 9. Its not logical to bring down a game for a few annoyances, for how good it is, and how good it could be. Some may not agree, but 3 things are true: a) you will be glad you played it if you liked Baldur's Gate, b) it is in the style of a pen and paper RPG with custom content galore, and c) If you love quality music and sound and writing, you will love it.
  71. Jul 31, 2013
    As an avid Shadowrun fan, I was psyched when I heard about the kickstarter for Shadowrun Returns. I immediately backed it and kept careful track of the progress. Based on some of the design decisions and the concept art, I was initially concerned. My worry proved to be unfounded though. When I first opened Dead Man's Switch I was immediately pleased with the depth of detail in story andAs an avid Shadowrun fan, I was psyched when I heard about the kickstarter for Shadowrun Returns. I immediately backed it and kept careful track of the progress. Based on some of the design decisions and the concept art, I was initially concerned. My worry proved to be unfounded though. When I first opened Dead Man's Switch I was immediately pleased with the depth of detail in story and graphics.

It does a respectable job of emulating the pen and paper game feeling. There is room for improvement, and I certainly hope some of the issues are addressed in the future, but there is enough variety for you to at least customize a character to reflect you (combat) style. Lacking stealth is a particularly strong drawback. So is the way social skills like negotiation and con are replaced with etiquette, but a smart modder can work around that and present an experience which will tailor to your needs.

Which brings me to my next point, the editor. Say what you will about the main story, give it a couple months and it won't matter. The game comes with the same editor the developers used to make the game. Based on the community, you can expect some amazing modules to come and I look forward to them in the future! As for the main game, I enjoyed it even though it was fairly linear. It had the feeling of playing shadowrun at a gaming convention, you needed to follow a set script, but there was a decent story to back it up.

I do need to mention two major flaws as well, ammo and the lack of save points. One of the key "rules" for Shadowrun has always been "Conserve Ammo" but that's not an issue here. You have unlimited ammo, all you need to do is occasionally reload. Also, you need to load a new scene to save, which is a major headache (avoidable through properly designed modules).

Overall though, I am happy with Shadowrun Returns. If you are an avid fan, get it. If you are a casual gamer, do your research first. This game is not made by a major studio, you cannot hold it to the same standards as you would something from EA Games. If you want voice acting, amazing graphics, and more options than you can imagine, this is not for you. If you are willing to give the little guy a chance, and want the feeling of playing Shadowrun with your friends, then you will probably be pleased with what you get. At the very least its the based Shadowrun game out there currently.
  72. Jul 31, 2013
    Shadowrun Returns is really a great game. That means if you are the right generation for it. While I personally love the isometric background consisting of handdrawn elements, I do understand that this might go against the current taste of time where RPGs like Skyrim are available. Me, being grown up with BG and Fallout, I definitely can feel the 2D charme.
    What can not be shown in engine
    What can not be shown in engine is described in well written text before you enter a scene or while communicating with NPCs.
    All in all It's a bit like a interactive book (coming from P&P I presume this is the intention) of course you have to like such things. If you expect effects and super-spectacular action you probably won't be happy with this game.
    However, if you like P&P and the great shadowrun setting, this game is for you. Especially, since a very comfortable and easy understandable editor allows the users to create their own campaigns and stories (in as much detail as the developer since it's the same editor they used). A big pro here is, that the main campaign is included as sources and can be loaded in the editor to get a good idea how things work.

Well long story short:
    -> I love it, P&P and oldschool CRPG fans will probably love it.
    -> People needing 3D graphic and its effects or don't like reading text are better off not touching this gem

PRO:
    + Beautiful 2D background
    + Nicely written story for the main campaign
    + Great Setting
    + Powerful Editor
    + Already quite some user generated content available
    + Neat Soundtrack fitting to the setting

CON:
    - Animations are not really nice looking or smooth
    - Sound effects miss variation and quality
    - no voice actors
  73. Jul 31, 2013
    The story, the grit, the humor and going "back" to 2054 with the original creators and writers of the game made for a fun gaming binge. Could not stop playing until the first campaign is over.

Writing is excellent. The atmosphere and the setting are spot on. Game mechanics are on the easy side (there is a setting that makes the game harder but it's not obvious, you have to go find

Writing is excellent. The atmosphere and the setting are spot on.

Game mechanics are on the easy side (there is a setting that makes the game harder but it's not obvious, you have to go find it in the options). They simplified a lot of things from the original books, so it's not a 1 to 1 rule adaptation of the table top game. It's close to second edition, but not really.

If you liked X-com, you'll like this. If you liked second edition Shadowrun, but house ruled your setting to hell, you'll like this too. Can't wait for the Berlin campaign and user generated content the editor looks excellent.
  74. Jul 31, 2013
    J'ai terminé le scénario de base et je suis pleinement satisfait. L'univers est fidèle 100% au jdr éponyme et le game play est simple et efficace. Graphiquement, ça a son charme et l'immersion reste bonne.

Le point fort du jeu reste la richesse du background et du scénar' proposé. Certes, j'ai cartonné tout ça en un week-end mais le plaisir était là du début la fin. Ca m'a même reboosté pour relancer des parties de Shadowrun sur table. :-)

J'espère vraiment que la communauté de joueurs sera active et produira des choses de qualité. Il y a énormément de potentiel pour faire de ce jeu un "classique" increvable tant le nombre de possibilités de scénars et de suites est élevé! Tout comme il est possible que ça ne tourne rien si les scénars de la communauté: a) ne respectent pas l'univers ou partent dans le délire complet, b) ne sont que de simples excuses pour de la fight.

Ce n'est pas gagné d'avance... l'univers est complexe, même quand on maîtrise déjà la version papier du jeu. L'éditeur de contenu demande un temps d'apprentissage certain si on veut faire quelque chose d'intéressant. A mon avis, rares seront les gens qui iront jusqu'au bout de la démarche.

Perso, je suis chaud pour apporter ma contribution la communauté et je garde espoir de voir apparaitre de bonnes surprises dans les prochains mois.
  75. Jul 30, 2013
    I have to admit that I am an RPG gamer of old and remember the likes of Fallout and Baldur's Gate very fondly and this brought the memory of those games flooding back.

It has a compelling film noir style story set in a steam punk world which really steals the show. It kept me engaged and interested through the approximately 10 hour game time. The script is enjoyable and there were some characters I would love to have more time to get to know (particularly Mr Kluwe). The dialogue reminded me of fellow indie game Gunpoint, which is no bad thing.

If there was one negative it would be the save system. It's a bit loose and hard to really grasp where the game saved. That said, I played through the whole thing in two days so not much need for saving really.

Overall, highly recommended and one of the most enjoyable games I've played in some time.
  76. Jul 30, 2013
    amazing game, alot better then the sega and snes game the autosave makes it more fun to actually use skill and not try something stupid die n then reload
  77. Jul 30, 2013
    So I'm minutes after completing Dead Man's Switch and it was a great experience! Enjoyable storyline, great game mechanics and overall very addictive if turn based combat combined with the allure of the Shadowrun world interests you. Right away you can see the potential this game has with future content created by either HBS or us gameplayers.

People complain about the lack of save

People complain about the lack of save points but I think it is unfair criticism- the game would be far too easy if you had the ability to save within checkpoints. In other words, this game has a "Demon/Dark Souls" like difficulty to it if you don't know what you're doing. If your computer crashes- well suck it up and try it again.

I am going to try my hand with the content editor. Looking very forward to seeing what new content people can come up with!
  78. omi
    Jul 30, 2013
    Nice game and concept.
    what I like:
    1) story 2) graphics 3) variety of choices in character creation and development. What I don't like: 1) too short. (finished in 3 days, about 20h) 2) too easy battle. overpowered skills. ranged is too overpowered compared to others. 3) not much side quests, small world, repeated graphics. 4) no voice acting. I would definitely pay for a dlc
    Nice game and concept.
    what I like:
    1) story
    2) graphics
    3) variety of choices in character creation and development.
    What I don't like:
    1) too short. (finished in 3 days, about 20h)
    3) not much side quests, small world, repeated graphics.
    4) no voice acting.

I would definitely pay for a dlc including a longer campaign with some voice acting.
  79. Jul 29, 2013
    This game is great. For those complaining about "not enough content," get over yourselves. This game has way more content than lots of other games at release. Not only is Harebrained Schemes planning on DLC for new content, but you have an entire community of die hard Shadowrun fans ALREADY working on new content. But the graphics don't require a my computer to go into beast mode.This game is great. For those complaining about "not enough content," get over yourselves. This game has way more content than lots of other games at release. Not only is Harebrained Schemes planning on DLC for new content, but you have an entire community of die hard Shadowrun fans ALREADY working on new content. But the graphics don't require a my computer to go into beast mode. GOOD, an enjoyable game that moderate rigs can play. I hate having to read, why aren't there any voice overs. Because you need to read more, slacker. Gameplay is too simple. That way everyone can enjoy. Hate not being able to save when you want? It was designed this way so you couldn't save before every fight, you must keep going with the run regardless of the health/supply status of your team.

I personally have enjoyed this game. I was a fan of the PnP and still break out the Genesis version I've held onto since it came out. I am in no way shape or form disappointed with Shadowrun Returns.

Get it, enjoy it and create content for others to enjoy.
  80. Jul 29, 2013
    To all Shadowrun players (past, present and future), this is a nice game to experience the vision of Shadowrun by it's original creator, Jordan Weisman. Experience a nicely crafted tactical games based on the Shadowrun Universe, within Seattle.

To all non-shadowrun players, you may find this game a bit lacking, because a lot of the content appeals to us old-timers, and it actually mean something to us, but nothing to you.

In order to properly enjoy this game, you must be a Shadowrunner, anyone picking it up without prior knowledge of Shadowrun universe will find miss 70% of the fun.
  81. Jul 29, 2013
    A great game for everyone who likes RPG's. I gave it 9 out of 10, but if it had had speech it would have gotten a 10. Maybe in the future when great usermade stuff comes out, I will revise to 10/10.
  82. Jul 29, 2013
    Shadowrun Returns represents one of the best CRPGs in years. With better writing and more compelling story than skyrim, and a quirky art style that is informative and pretty, while also being graphically undemanding.

It is not perfect, and what game is? But its few minor issues are far less common than many would have you believe. You should know that there is no voice acting, or

You should know that there is no voice acting, or manual save function, and if either of these matter a lot to you, it might not be the game for you; but despite this, the game left me feeling more positive about the future and present of gaming than I have felt in a long while. Especially as the first waves of User generated content are already appearing.
  83. Jul 29, 2013
    Summary: A great game with a well written story that can only get better and more rewarding as user generated content becomes available. Highly recommended!

I have to say that people making claims here that the company "should have done more" with the budget they had clearly have NO IDEA how expensive making games actually is. Let's just consider some game budgets: GTA IV $100 million (over 50 times the budget and delivers an open world AAA experience), L A Noire $50 million (over 25 times the budget and delivers full voice acted story based action game), Baldur's Gate $4.5 million (about 3 times the budget, isometric, mostly text conversations with a little audio, large scale and mostly open world, no user content tools). So what has been made for under $1.5 million? Erm... Dragon's Lair, Pac-Man (including marketing), Penny Arcade Adventures Ep 1 (only $1 million). I think Shadowrun Returns delivers in spades compared to those games. An excellent job by the developers.

I enjoyed the engaging story most of all, but I also enjoyed playing a character that was more powerful in the Matrix (Cyberspace) than in real life until I beefed up pistol skills to match; I thought that this was a great way of making those characters valuable to the team beyond the odd extra option in a menu. I can live with the limitations of the game, given its budget, because it delivers so much if you are prepared to look past the faults.

Loved it and would highly recommend it.
  84. Jul 29, 2013
    Hoi Chummers!

The name of the game is Shadowrun Returns. Playing the game lives up to its name in lore, dialogue, imagery, atmosphere, music and fun! It has technical issues that we all know will be fixed/patched/updated/ and feature-added within a few months, and it already has fantastic looking & playable user-generated content. To be clear, I'm not glossing over the issues of the
    Hoi Chummers!

To be clear, I'm not glossing over the issues of the day-1 launch. I can see the forest through the trees and I LOVE this game for the experience I'm having playing it, caveats and all. Ranking it down would be a disservice to my own enjoyment and other gamers that might be dissuaded from experiencing how much fun this game is now or in a few weeks/months, and not to mention the programmers that have been, and still are chugging away at making Shadowrun Returns even better.

Unless you don't like tactical, turn-based RPG's, don't enjoy the thematic elements of a Shadowrun title, or two sentences is TL;DR for you, then Shadowrun Returns is an AWESOME game, which I am thrilled to have backed and supported. It will only get better from here. For the enjoyment I'm getting out of Shadowrun Returns now, and the bright, better future I see for it in the near, and distant future, this game is unquestionably a TEN!

I'm voting on what Shadowrun Returns is to me. You're welcome to disagree, but wisdom says it's heading towards becoming an exceptionally beloved, well polished classic, and hopefully indie Game of the Year, in the Year of Shadowrun! ^_^

For the disbelievers who have issues with specific features, like the saves...once those features are updated to your satisfaction, which I believe they will be, will you even come back to amend your reviews, or leave a negative impact on a wonderful indie title for all time? Please think about it.

Ja Mata! And I look forward 'ta runnin the Shadows with you Chummers!

-UGEplex
    'Juz ah nutha Unexplained Genetic Expression in da 'plex
  85. Jul 29, 2013
    I'm very happy with how this has been implemented and cant wait to have more time to spend on it. I've played around 10 hours so far and can't wait until Ive got more time to try out more characters.
    The conversations in this remind me of days gone by when game companies actually employed authors rather than the useless dribble from 10 year olds we see in so many games now. I actually want to keep talking to some of the NPCs, and can't wait for my next play through to see where some of the other conversation options lead.
    Skill progress is done well, and is nice and diverse with many options. Once again I can't wait to try out more of the other options.
    Graphics style is great and reminds me of fallout 1/2 and crusader. Very happy with how it looks.
    I can see a great many campaigns done by the community with the editor and I bet I'll still be playing this one for many months (and hopefully years) to come.
  86. Jul 29, 2013
    This game is pretty much what I expected when I Kickstarted it, a toolset for building a tactical RPG set in the Shadowrun Universe on a PC. That it also came with a decent 1st campaign was just icing on the cake. I'd give it a 10 if not for the following:

1.) The save system isn't as bad as reviewers make it out to be, but it really could be better. 2.) The Unity engine itself has

2.) The Unity engine itself has some sound stutter issues that need working out.
    3.) A World-Map & the ability to revisit some areas would have been a nice plus, but not necessary for the campaign. This is supposed to be resolved with the upcoming German DLC campaign.
    4.) There is no ability to swap gear with your followers hirelings. This isn't an issue in the Seattle campaign, but is a huge limitation for custom module design.

All in all, SR:R is a good game with a lot of potential going forward.
  87. Jul 29, 2013
    Shadowrun Returns from my experience of the campaign in its entirety was excellent. Some spent 12 hours. I spent around 20 hours(sometimes I had to leave my computer on more on that later). Definitely worth the discounted pre-order of $15. I would highly recommend that anyone who enjoys TBS(turn based strategy), RPG, and Fantasy/Sci-fi to check this game out!! Now to the exposition ofShadowrun Returns from my experience of the campaign in its entirety was excellent. Some spent 12 hours. I spent around 20 hours(sometimes I had to leave my computer on more on that later). Definitely worth the discounted pre-order of $15. I would highly recommend that anyone who enjoys TBS(turn based strategy), RPG, and Fantasy/Sci-fi to check this game out!! Now to the exposition of the game's merits and faults. Shadowrun Returns plays similarly to Xcom: Enemy Unknown except that you don't upgrade your base of operations Between areas, you are usually at the Seamstresses Union where you catch up with the merchants, employees, and patrons on rumors, gossip, stories, and history as well as outfit yourself with gear and companions for your shadowruns. This mechanic works quite well and gives the player a nice break from the action and helps you connect with the iconic inhabitants of the Seamstresses Union. When it comes time to duke it out in combat with nefarious thugs, cults, and corporate organizations the combat is excellent. I did not fully explore all of the possible skills that fall under the different attributes, but guns, melee, magic, spirits, drones, and decking(hacking into the matrix) all work quite well. Guns are by far(especially the Assault Rifle) the most damaging and flexible in combat. However, the skills that fall under conjuring and magic can be very helpful in regards buffing allies or debuffing enemies as well as obstructing or hampering enemies. Overall I really enjoyed the combat and there were even some encounters where I had to play through them about 5 times just to get past them. But that was for maybe 3 out of 10-15 encounters in the game if my estimations are correct. I also enjoyed all the dialogue which was well written in that it was great in terms of humor, seriousness, verbal cues, and depth. The plot really felt like a story, which is more than some games like Brink, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, and Dragon's Dogma can say(those are all the games I believed would have great stories but didn't and instead only delivered on gameplay). I can safely tell you that Shadowrun returns delivers on both fronts. Now to the faults which are few and forgivable though it would be nice if they were addressed. There are checkpoints at subsections of areas and transitions into new areas like going back and forth between the Seamstresses Union and some other location or proceeding further into a location. I can see how they would hope to discourage allowing players to save every single turn in battle or save all the time in order to get the most out of every conversation by making all the right choices. However I think that a comprise between manual and automatic would be an allowance of manual saves in addition to the auto saving at checkpoints then when you feel you really need to save you can. Now enough of the save system which is manageable(if you remember to copy every single autosave checkpoint so that a checkpoint's autosave doesn't get overwritten by the next checkpoint). One thing that dissapointed me a little bit was the lack of other attributes that characterized weapons, because there is certainly others beyond damage, range, and capacity(guns). Some guns in the store would have the same damage and range, but the more expensive one would have less capacity. There must be something exemplary about the more expensive one that would justify its price tag.In addition, the story did not have any major dialogue decisions that affected the outcome of the game in any significant way. In addition, it was sometimes difficult to select the tile that you wanted a character to move to since you could not rotate the camera, but this did not affect the outcomes of combat really since it was pretty infrequent. Though there are these flaws, I would like to point out the reasons for them and how they can be resolved. I'm going to compare the making of Halo 4 to Shadowrun Returns. Halo 4 had around a $100 million dollar budget, 200 developers/employees, and a 3 1/3 years development cycle. Shadowrun Returns had around a $2 million budge, 22 staff, and a 1 1/3 years development cycle. Do these numbers mean anything. Yes. For Harebrained-Schemes, they had a shorter time table and limited financial and development resources. Maybe that's why they didn't get in the other statistics or characteristics concerning weapons(though this may have been a design choice). Maybe a manual save system and non rotating camera weren't possible for development reasons due to the tight schedule and the issues they could have caused during the software engineering process or yet again they may have been design decisions. And last of all there is only so much content that a team of 22 can develop for a rich story. I would rather have a great story than a terrible story filled with important choices that impacted the direction of the plot. Plus buyers can mod the game to extend the content and fix issues. Expand
  88. Jul 29, 2013
    As an old Shadowrun fan it was hard to miss that project, if possible at all. But the result kinda surpassed my expectations. I was waiting for a game, but instead I got a construction set based on a setting I like.
    Single player campaign is just a demo, you can remember the same situation in first Neverwinter Nights, where single player (without addons) story line was kinda dull and full of cliche. Yet now we see TONS of user generated content based on NWN.
    So this is how I see SR, a tool to make OUR Shadowrun come to life.
    But that does not mean that I did not like single player, it was truly enjoyable dive into a fantasy cyberpunk, with really nice characters and plot flow.
  89. Jul 29, 2013
    Call me nuts but I like the save system being like it is. Adds a certain risk to screwing up if you make poor choices or just plain suck. I mean what's the point of avoiding death if you can just reload and try again without having to make your way back? The lack of looting? A little annoying, yeah... but I can see it imbalancing things if you had a ton of weapons in your stash to vendorCall me nuts but I like the save system being like it is. Adds a certain risk to screwing up if you make poor choices or just plain suck. I mean what's the point of avoiding death if you can just reload and try again without having to make your way back? The lack of looting? A little annoying, yeah... but I can see it imbalancing things if you had a ton of weapons in your stash to vendor off. You'd never feel the need to conserve money at all. So yeah... those two points either don't bother me or I like them as is. The rest of the game is beautifully done and makes me about as happy as can be. Expand
  90. Jul 29, 2013
    Judging by what they've done so far, I'm quite pleased with what we have right now. I give this game a solid ten because I'm banking on the community turning a good game into a Great game. Gamer created content is going to be the driving force behind this game and it shall bring together a community of like minded individuals to create a cyberpunk world as envisioned by William Gibson andJudging by what they've done so far, I'm quite pleased with what we have right now. I give this game a solid ten because I'm banking on the community turning a good game into a Great game. Gamer created content is going to be the driving force behind this game and it shall bring together a community of like minded individuals to create a cyberpunk world as envisioned by William Gibson and his contemporaries.

I knew what to expect when I bought this game and it has exceeded those expectations. I enjoy it for what it is now and revel in the creative potential of its near future. See you after the next run, chummers.
  91. Jul 29, 2013
    Not bad. I certainly felt that its setting and world was unique, I mean, nobody else has tried to mix DnD with cyberpunk. Writing's decent. Combat's great, and the environment's are gorgeous. Plus it's got plenty of shelf life with its editor.

There are a few problems to it. The environment can obscure certain areas at the bottom of the screen, there's no ability to traverse floors, Speechcraft while serviceable, is fairly no-thrills and it can be a bit difficult to control units close to each other in battle. Plus the main campaign kinda felt pretty short. Finally, its checkpoint save system was not fun to use.

Still, I enjoyed it. A good respectable return by the franchise.
  92. Jul 29, 2013
    Personally I likes the game a lot. The game improved a lot, but due to the budget restrictions it did not became a 10! There should be a lot of features included, that it would be excellent. Look at the differences
    I will sum some of the differences between SNES version and Shadow run Return.
    Snes: Battle is button mashing. New: A lot of choice like fire gun, robot, use items like
    I will sum some of the differences between SNES version and Shadow run Return.

Snes: Battle is button mashing.
    New: A lot of choice like fire gun, robot, use items like heal or grenades, use spells. hide

World Snes: Can move around more freely and revisited places.
    New: game world cannot be revisited after entering a new quest area. Places can be revisted depending on how the game is build up. But that can be changed with the game editor I guess.

Loot Snes: Can loot dead people
    New: Bodies go away.

Earn Karma snes and New: the same. Just do certain things to earn it.

Character customization New: much more options like Decker software which are your spells in the digital world. Personal stats improve the ability of drone or enable you to use certain hardware

snes version: No editor
    New: game editor!

Snes: NPC's move around
    New: most NPC stand around and just talk.

New saving: It's mainly done after you goto a new area. No option to save in between.

End verdict: 8, I enjoyed the Snes version a lot. And I enjoy the new one even more, but would like to see small improvements by adding new features into the game, thaen it would be awesome!
  93. Jul 28, 2013
    A very fun and addictive strategy/rpg. I enjoy the story and the environments look amazing. Combat is my favorite portion of the game, turn-based strategy games are some of my favorite. My only complaints are quickly overlooked; Poor character graphics and no multiplayer. Lack of a manual save is slightly annoying but the quick save has not failed me yet so no bother. Overall, this is aA very fun and addictive strategy/rpg. I enjoy the story and the environments look amazing. Combat is my favorite portion of the game, turn-based strategy games are some of my favorite. My only complaints are quickly overlooked; Poor character graphics and no multiplayer. Lack of a manual save is slightly annoying but the quick save has not failed me yet so no bother. Overall, this is a very well developed game and should not be passed up. Expand
  94. Jul 28, 2013
    Old-school fun, thus, great tactic combat and artisan dialog and narration.
    I totally loved the ciberpunk atmosphere, the graphics are beautiful, the music fits like aglove... a very enjoyable experience.
    Its not a big budget game, but hell Its fun.
  95. Jul 28, 2013
    Fun game, very faithful to the Shadowrun name.

Fun game, very faithful to the Shadowrun name.

There are some who say that the unlimited ammo ruins the combat in the game. That's it's a matter of firing until everything is dead. However they don't mention that combat requires AP (Action Points) while you do have unlimited ammo, you don't have Unlimited AP and have to plan you moves according. Every action in combat from reloading your weapon to moving in for the perfect kill consumes AP. So there is a challenge in the combat in spending your AP wisely.

Graphics are great, a hand drawn feel that makes this isometric world become Shadowrun and brings it to life. Also musical score is good, and Harebrained Schemes hired the musical composers for the SNES and Sega Genesis games to do the musical score for Shadowrun Returns.

I do agree that the save system could have been better. That for today's gaming market either have a save anywhere feature or some kind of in-game save option vs. a checkpoint save system. So because of the save system I do advise anyone playing this game to have some time on their hands and that it's not meant for casual play.
  96. Jul 28, 2013
    Shadowrun Returns is fantastic tactical RPG from an indy/mobile developer, Hare Brained Schemes. The art and writing create a vivid and memorable fantasy/cyberpunk world that will be instantly recognizable to anyone that played the original Shadowrun PnP RPG or the Nintendo & SEGA adaptations.

Dead Man's Switch is a well written neo-noir tale that offers 10-15 hours of gameplay. It's a compelling and detailed look at the world of Shadowrun.

The real promise of Shadowrun Returns though is the Editor that allows members of the community to create their own stories and missions and share them with the world. The Editor promises countless hours of UGC within the world of Shadowrun.

The game is not perfect. It is very streamlined so as to be accessible on mobile devices. This sometimes left me hoping for more complexity. However the Editor holds the promise of even greater complexity and sophistication. There are a number of minor bugs apparent in the initial release, but nothing game breaking and nothing unexpected for an indie title with a small budget. I've played AAA titles with far, far more bugs disrupting the gameplay.
  97. Jul 28, 2013
    I am very impressed with this small, indie title. The hand painted scenery is far better then anything I could have hoped for. And the music really brings across a dark techno feel. In essences a recreation of the Nintendo game of the same name, this update's it with "wow" theme and mood.

The game-play is an RPG with a mix of tactical and adventure. The combat is very x-com, but with more open areas at move around in. In between the action is more of a classic point and click adventure mystery. The writing of which is very evocative with it's lavish descriptions. Finally a game written by good writers who can plant a image or emotion in your head.

It is not perfect, but I was not expecting such from a cheap title. Biggest flaw is the save system. Which, as I read, is a issues with the game engine. Not a design choice. Honestly it didn't bother me much. It saves every-time you transition to a new location. And all the old saves are stored. So you can go back. Some other answer would be nice, though the other adventures available already work to address the issue. With new ones in the future looking to finding other answers.

And oh yes, other adventures. The heart of this game is the editor. An editor that is incredibly robust, seconded only by Neverwinter Knights 2. I have only just started poking at it and I am damn impressed with what you can do with it. The ideas percolating around in my head are going to find this editor real fun. The other adventures already released are equally well thought out and really show the promise of what is to come.

The question then is wither it is worth your hard earned $20 for a powerful game editor with a fairly short premade campaign. I can't answer that for you. All I can say is that since getting it, I can't stop playing it. The combination of the art, music with the wildly varying characters you can create for battle in the open, tactical world make this just......addicting. I find this one of the funnest indie titles I have played in a long time.
  98. Jul 28, 2013
    the game is very good but ok maybe it could have been much bigger and all that but still a very good game, i would wish we would get a skyrim like game with cyperpunk/sci-fi theme.
    im happy its more story driven, because mostly when i play skyrim and gta or open world games i just play the quest except maybe just in the beginning, but i used to run around doing nothing in GTA when i was younger. and the loss of voices doesn bother me much i usually click through them when i finish reading the subtitles because im much faster then the voice actor reading them, but its still good to hear their voices. and now im just looking forward to more storys and stuff from mods and it would be nice if the devs would put quicksave in the game, i don't understand that isn't in every game today, i have kid and its good to be able to quicksave if you have to stop playing for some time instead of having the game on while you leave. but other then that a very good game and if its so bad why don't you just make a better one.
  99. Jul 28, 2013
    a great bit nostalgia, everything about the game reminds me of the Shadowrun pen and paper game. my only problem with it is with the auto save function although it could be better it has yet to cause me any real issue's. in all I feel like they did a great job this game!
  100. Jul 28, 2013
    This is a great title. It has a two major flaws. It is way too short and it is way too linear. If you can forgive those two things, then the game will be a very enjoyable experience for you. Why? Well, the atmosphere is spot on, the writing is good, the game has both tactical and strategic depth and, well, it is just plain fun. The save system is good but some are put off by it.This is a great title. It has a two major flaws. It is way too short and it is way too linear. If you can forgive those two things, then the game will be a very enjoyable experience for you. Why? Well, the atmosphere is spot on, the writing is good, the game has both tactical and strategic depth and, well, it is just plain fun. The save system is good but some are put off by it.

Controversy:
    A quick word about the save system. How does the current system work? It already saves for you once every mission (usually about every 30 minutes) and you are able to "rewind" to previous saves. This is more than enough. However, this system makes you be very mindful of your strategic choices. For example, if a level may have multiple engagements, do you use up all your consumables in the first battle if pressured or do you save some for the next? This save system is actually fairly brilliant and it makes player choices feel very impactful. Sure, you may "lose" 30 minutes of your time if you fail a mission but if the players takes that loss as an opportunity to learn instead of an arbitrary punishment, then it becomes a positive feature rather then a negative one. Frankly, a save anywhere system would not have had such nail biting gameplay and I for one am glad they went with a system that limited "save scumming."

The Bad:
    The linear structure is a major flaw, however. The game plays out like a series of combat encounters with noncombat encounters in between to advance the story. This makes the game feel similar to a console tactical rpg title rather than a true to form computer rpg. Still, the execution is good and, unlike console titles, you do not fight outlandish demons with girlish prepubescent teen males that dye their hair blue. If you can get over the linearity, the game is quite fun.

The game's length (only 10 hours) is a bit on the short side. It is roughly 25% the length of a true to form cRPG. Even if you consider that this game costs half as much as other titles, the length should still, mathematically, be twice what it is. This means some conversation skills are rarely used, decking is underutiized, there are very few side missions, etc. This game has, to its credit, a very robust and well designed rpg system but, sadly, not enough places to allow certain character builds to shine. Still, it DOES come with an editor and the hope of community generated content. I am not sure if there enough folks in the community for this title to generate the content the devs claim will appear but you never know. I did feel I got my money's worth from the included campaign and I will be replaying with a different character build.

The Good:
    There is plenty to love in this title. If you have every read cyberpunk or seen a cyberpunk film, then you will feel instantly at home with this game's story. Shadowrun is a bit different than typical cyberpunk since it had some fantasy tropes as well (elves, dwarves, etc) but this does not take away from the experience it adds to it.

The presentation is great. The music is perfect. It is atmospheric, non-intrusive and very immersive. The graphics are crisp and well designed. At first, I felt the character models were a bit too cartoony and not gritty enough but I came to appreciate them.

The combat is turn based executed well. In other words, the engagements are small enough that waiting for your turn does not test your patience instead of your tactical decisions. You have a host of special moves, magic, summons, etc to choose from but I never felt overwhelmed or lost. Everything made sense after a bit of experimentation.

The writing is very well done. This definitely takes me back to the older Shadowruns on the SNES and Genesis but the writing is far more mature and well done. Sure, some stuff gets a little cliche here and there but cyberpunk is supposed to be at least a little cliche. Some familiar noir elements should bleed though.

Final Verdict:
    The game has alot going for it and if not for two major flaws (length and linearity), I would have scored it higher. Also, don't be put off by the save system and the turn based combat these are strengths not weaknesses.
    8/10 Collapse

1. Pelit (Finland)
    Oct 5, 2013
    Shadowrun Returns is a bit more simplistic than I had hoped for, but at the same time it is not bad at all. [Sept 2013]
  2. Sep 13, 2013
    Shadowrun Returns is a faithful reinterpretation (and in a vague sense, sequel) to the SNES game from 20 years ago, maybe a bit too faithful. Though most aspects of the the wild and unruly Shadowrun world is included, the promise of this game lies more in the open embrace of the mod community than the included adventure.
  3. Sep 10, 2013
    Shadowrun Returns will probably please most fans if perhaps not blow anyone out of the water. The campaign is well written and serves as a good introduction for new players. The variety in combat and character creation and dialogue options is great but suffers from a badly implemented autosave system. With lots of new campaigns on the horizon Shadowrun Returns is well worth keeping an eye on.