Shadowrun Returns PC

7.4

1. Oct 24, 2016
    I really wanted to give this a higher score because of the tactical combat, creativity, and story.

But it doesn't explain any mechanics (yes, I know you can go reading through hundreds of pages of included manuals, but that's just silly), it's buggy (final battle wouldn't progress, just stuck on enemy turn forever), and half the time when you click, it simply doesn't register or you somehow click through your target.

Oh, and the campaign is WAY too short.

So it ends up being annoying when it could have been a solid 9.
  2. Oct 6, 2016
    I got this game by steam sale (cheap) and I liked It a lot.
    It has the feeling of the old rpg of the 80's so much that , after years and years, i begin to play a pen & paper Shadowrun short campaign with my family and friends.
    The only cons is limited replayability.
    Will follow Harebrained Schemes in the future.
  3. Feb 21, 2016
    The good: for a game from a small company, this is quite brilliant. Graphics / style is top-notch, story is very well written, UI and game mechanics are mostly very good, and while some character builds definitely make thing much easier, it is possible to play the game through in many different ways.

The ambiguous: the game has excellent, relentless pacing, it proceeds like a well-oiled machine. I did appreciate a lot that the playing time was not at any point artificially expanded by making the player travel back and forth in trivial missions of killing and/or collecting umpteen this-or-that. On the other hand, this could also be interpreted as lack of content by some, but the main storyline is so strong and offers so many hours of high-quality content that at least I felt I got my money's worth and then some. Also, given the small budget there is no voice acting; I did not miss it in the slightest, but some may have a different opinion.

The bad: there's not much, really. Some aspects of the Shadowrun world are not in the game, but I never missed them, the game is really impressive and highly enjoyable as it is. And it would be nice to have an option to switch the fighting mode on and off, or at the very least be able to switch the active character when not in the fighting mode. Minor things that I almost feel ashamed to bring up, all things considered.

TL;DR – 9/10, isometric RPG with very few downsides, loved it.
  4. Jan 11, 2016
    Usually, i can easily round a score to a whole number in a ten-scale system. Shadowrun Returns, however, is right in the middle between 7 and 8. It is above 7 but not yet at 8. So here it is:
    75/100.
    PROS: Good story, interesting visual style, nice music (although limited to 3 or 4 tracks), some good characters. CONS: Specialty does not play a role, extremely simplified
    75/100.

PROS:

CONS:
    Specialty does not play a role, extremely simplified tactical point-and-click combat, linear story, a ton of reading (no voice-overs), not well-paced in terms of sequences between reading the story and running tactical missions, very lacking on explaining the Shadowrun universe.

Overall, a good RPG, which almost makes it into solid. Main things that prevent it from doing so are the linear non-branching story line, childish tactical combat, offset pacing due to burdensome amount of reading.
  5. Sep 9, 2015
    Shadowrun returns is a good classic rpg with really solid writing (although the story gets medicore in the end), turn-based fighting system and a nice atmosphere. Unfortunately it's very linear, short(~15 hours), locations are small and there are almost no side-quests. Still it's a better rpg than most of the titles coming out these days. Also the price is great.
  6. May 28, 2015
    I got this game way past it's sell date. Picked it up on a weekend sale off steam for $2.49 (usually $14.99). All I can say is if your missing that Shadworun vibe this game is a great simple turn based combat RPG. The game has it's flaws as it is very stripped down. Not enough cyberware. It's best to min/max your character. Sometimes you can't figure out how your whole team had 3 actionsI got this game way past it's sell date. Picked it up on a weekend sale off steam for $2.49 (usually $14.99). All I can say is if your missing that Shadworun vibe this game is a great simple turn based combat RPG. The game has it's flaws as it is very stripped down. Not enough cyberware. It's best to min/max your character. Sometimes you can't figure out how your whole team had 3 actions and all of them missed a guy with 1 hp left with a 99% chance to hit. Saves are at odd points. Some runs are too simple. Some seem to have way to many enemies. But it certainly has the SR vibe. And not many games have it these days. But with all it's flaws, it's SR vibe and turn based combat is great addictive (though sometimes annoying) fun. This game is so good, I find myself desperate for a SR group or MMO. Expand
  7. Apr 4, 2015
    For me this was an almost perfect experience of being drawn into the magical-cybertech-world of Shadowrun. I enjoyed it like I've only enjoyed few gamers over the last few years.
  8. Mar 25, 2015
    Nice game that takes some getting used to. The isometric view put me off for a little while and the skill tree can be a bit confusing.

I got it off steam for about 14 Euros and it's worth it's money. The reasons why I don't give it a higher rating is because it being linear, having next to no replay value and (purely personal observation) it isn't addicting like some of my favorite RPGs. It's easy to save and exit as opposed to other titles. But there always comes a time when you fire it up again to play for another hour or two.

Having said that, if you can live with these flaws and are into customisation and that old pen and paper feeling, give it a shot. It doesn't cost the world as opposed some so called AAA titles, which turn out to be just poor console ports.
  9. Feb 8, 2015
    Turn-based strategy RPG combo is pretty much the greatest thing ever. The setting, writing, and runs are just fabulous. Shadowrun: Dragonfall is even better!
  10. Feb 6, 2015
    v1ctor are you retarded man are you **** dumb in your head go shot the **** out of it
    trolls you say the game is not perfect yet you give it a 10 how is that not trolling you dumb piece of sthinking **** go kill yourself you rotting payed jewdipp**** i know you got bucks to post that **** **** people like you make me sick!
  11. Feb 6, 2015
    Great game that captures the old school spirit of isometric RPGs.
    The setting and the story are excellent. The campaign feels a bit short (or maybe it was so good that it went on really fast).
  12. Jan 24, 2015
    buggy. don't pay for it unless you want to play the same stories over and over again until you can escape the bug somehow.

besides, it's the most linear story I've ever seen. not a good thing for a game that presented as a rpg.
  13. Jan 11, 2015
    How do you rate a game like this? It's not a graphical masterpiece, it's not a technical innovator, it's not the most orriginal story, and the setting is one that is amongst the oddest ever conceived for an RPG. Elves, trolls, dwarves and Orcs, magic, and cyberpunk, in a futuristic blade runner inspired near future setting.

What sounds absurd on paper, in the rights hands becomes a

What sounds absurd on paper, in the rights hands becomes a menagerie of flavors that compliment each other and surprise you with how well they work.

So how do you review a game made by fans of the original setting and SNES video game, using a tablet friendly game engine and less than a blockbuster titles budget?

Well, I can't recommend it to everyone. This is not a game that sells itself. This isn't Fallout, or Skyrim...

This is shadowrun, you either know what Shadowrun is/was (if your like me, it's because you'd stay up till 4 am rolling 6 sided dice trying to keep yourself from being clobbered by a troll street samurai while the elf hacked the matrix trying to steal the data your employer wanted. Or because you played the faithful SNES game back in the 90s that was a cult classic).

IF you are familiar with Shadowrun and were a fan, especially if you liked the SNES game from the 90s, you will almost certainly love this game. You might not rate it as highly, but if you keep your expectations set to INDY Tablet Title, you will be pleasantly surprised.

But what if you are not a fan? How do I begin? Let me just tell you the facts:

The game is a nod to traditional isometric tactical RPG's similar to Fallout 1-2 and tactics, but far less crunchy and complicated. The RPG elements are light, but satisfyingly complex enough so that you can quickly see what stats to increase with Karma, and still need to think about what you really need to boost, and whats a waste.

The turn based tactical combat has clearly been designed to be a faithful rendering of what our imaginations looked like when we played the game with dice, but without the hardcore complexity some people might crave. The combat was clearly designed to be accessible to newcomers to the genre, but still deep enough to allow power players a way to crush encounters with superior tactics and planning.

If you are looking for a complex turn based tactical similar set in shadow run, you will be disappointed. This is meant to be an accessible Tactical RPG adventure crafted by people who are serious fans of the setting. This is ultimately what can make or break the gameplay of this game for some people. As I have read many reviews that suggest the tactical element is not as deep as they hoped... while others, myself included, are happy to see the tactical parts are only as deep as they need to be to convey a challenge but also keep the story moving.

The story is IMHO superb. some might call is cliched, but anyone who knows shadowrun, knows the entire setting is supposed to be a cliche. It's supposed to be Blade runner meets Middle earth, with some native American shamanism and some voodoo thrown in for good measure.

Add to the fact hat this game is aimed at people who know the setting, and you will find if you are a newcomer, that some of the characters are clearly meant to be familiar, but you won't know anything about them, specifically right off in the early game you meet a character who fans of the SNES game will immediately recognize. (not a spoiler, it's in the first 10 minutes). So that means this game isn't just full of cliches, it's a cliche of itself.

The graphics are top notch, and run full blast on even the most basic PC I own, the characters appear to be fully 3d renderings, complete with a basic character editor to choose hair, skin and other details, and clothing that can change your appearance. It would have been nice to include a way to see the clothing before you put it on, but thats a minor point.

The environments are technically created as tiles of some sort, but they tend to look hand drawn as if someone drew the scenes in some art program, the way the elements blend together to create areas and scenes, when coupled with the basic lighting effects really manage to hit the sweet spot for charming artistic graphics.

The music and sound all feel right where they need to be, and while it would have been nice to have some voice acting to save you from having to read a lot... it never bothered me a bit, because the writing is well done, and like a good book, you will probably find yourself unable to put it down once you get going.

Overall, I would say to a fan of the setting and SNES game, this is a MUST play game... to everyone else, I think it would be a fine game for your tablet or if you are looking for something quirky and different and yet fairly accessible.

Keep in mind the developers wisely made a toolset so players can make their own content, and many have already done so. So presumably your adventure doesn't have to end, you can make more!
  14. Dec 18, 2014
    Old school isometric rpg adventure with bags of character a great plot and plenty of modern innovation and enhancements. Looks great, plays great and will have you immersed in this bizarre dystopian future for hours upon hours.
  15. Nov 9, 2014
    I read a lot critics here that shows little to no relation to what I experienced with Shadowrun Returns (SR), so I guess I'd write my own review. For the record, I played the tabletop game quite regularly since its inception in the early 90's, but not the other video games based on it.

First, the good points: The story that comes attached with the game is a classic: It gives the player a nice overview of the Shadowrun universe and some of its major actors, and despite lacking voice talent or even a change in the musical score, it manages to be compelling.

The music is very good, and at some point I thought is was music made by an actual musical act, instead of being "just a game's soundtrack". The interface is clean, easy to learn and use, requiring mostly just a mouse. I also like what they did with the decking.

The system is excellent. It is a simplification of the tabletop one (third edition), with no restraints on progression, where the player can chose to build Jacks-of-all-Trades or specialists as their character. Many combinations of skills are possible, making it a game people will replay using different races and skill sets.

Finally, it comes with a complete editor, so the replaying value is compensated for what is quite a short main story. I can't say that it is the most user-friendly editor I ever used, but it's there, and that for me weighted a lot when I did buy the game (if I had bought it).

First among the bad points are the graphics. I can't believe some games still have that rigid isometric viewing that brings the early 90's to mind. Take a game like "Freedom Force", an early 2000's game which used about the same strategic game play: You could rotate the camera and hear the environmental noises all over, and the graphics were like 10 years in advance over what appears in SR. That people wrote that the graphics were nice is beyond me: They are cartoonish, 2D and blocky.

That carries around with the aspect of your character, too; If class customization is open-ended, the appearance and clothing are way too limited, in this day and age. Likewise, the weapons, armors, spells, programs follow a "they get better as you level-up" pattern, which of course makes them mandatory as soon as they appear, no matter the class you designed, you end up having the same SMG at the same time in the story.

Rounding out the bad points, the AI cheats in strategic environment to compensate for the AI's limitations, roughly doubling the oppo's hit chance and damage caused as it is supposed to get tougher. It's manageable, but can be quite frustrating if you don't prepare for it.

All in all, SR is a somewhat nostalgic game that long time Shadowrun player will instantly recognize (it is also written by one of the core game's authors, too, so the feeling isn't artificial). Its re-playability will depend on how the community reacts to both the game and its editors, and from that pool I got the best like the worst.

I just hope that the next installment of this franchise will show some more up-to-date graphics and sounds, without cutting on the very acceptable system and interface: Six out of ten, worth the buy if you know what you're buying.
  16. Oct 24, 2014
    Fantastic cyberpunk experience and a very pleasant surprise demonstrating that even on low budget you can create a wonderful game.

Sure, there are some budget shortcomings such as no voice overs, not only dialog, but there is actually not a single voice in the entire game, but I grew up on 90's RPGs, so I got used to extensive reading quickly and the game rewarded me with superb story from the Shadowrun universe.

A lot of the criticism is about the linearity of the game, which is true, but it didn't really bother me as it helped the storytelling pace to be more focused and without any weak points. I was enjoying the atmosphere and was intrigued by the story, expecting what will happen next. Descriptions of the world, the characters, dialogs, it's all written very well.

Don't expect a typical RPG with huge world where you can do anything, loot and so on (there isn't even proper inventory management and looting is mostly absent here), this is more of a story driven experience with some RPG elements and tactical turn-based combat ala X-Com which is very nicely done and there is a right amount of challenge. I like the variations of classes, different weapons, magic worked nicely, I played as a Decker and the infiltration where you hack into the matrix to achieve the security breach and you must be quick as the other party members are protecting you from the threats in the real world, experiences like this are what made this game unique and why I love it so much.

Also, after a recent disappointment with ugly visuals of Wasteland 2, another Kickstarter project using the same engine, I must say that I was very pleasantly surprised by all the beautiful hand-drawn visuals here, locations and environments are just gorgeous, most characters have their own hand-drawn pictures and the overall art style is very impressive. Sometimes I just stopped for a moment and appreciated the beauty. The whole thing oozes cyberpunk atmosphere which is supported by a fitting electronic soundtrack.

There is a minor gripe here, ambient tracks are fine, but the combat music is too short and repetitive and because turn-based battles here can last quite some time it repeats on loop over and over and it gets annoying. Another criticism I read in reviews is the absence of manual save and some bugs, but I played already the patched version, where not only you could save and quick save at your own leisure, but I haven't found a single bug in the entire game, completely bug-free (if I don't count the actually bug creatures in the story of course) and that deserves a big thumbs up, especially since this game runs on Unity engine and up to this point, my experience with Unity was extremely bad as all Unity games I played were completely infested with technical glitches, bad optimization and tons of other problems, be it Wasteland 2 or Might & Magic X, so I was afraid Shadowrun will suffer the same symptoms, but obviously when your developers are not completely incompetent, you can create 100% smooth ride even in Unity.

I didn't expect it, but to my surprise Shadowrun Returns is a cyberpunk masterpiece, I loved every minute of it and can strongly recommend it. Looking forward to play Dragonfall expansion. 10/10
  17. Oct 11, 2014
    This is the perfect example of how a tabletop RPG is so much different than a CRPG.
    A translation must be done, some things are better in a tabletop RPG and other things are best suited for a computer.
    Ignoring it, we have this: poor simplified game play, where the story is read to us, relying mostly on descriptions on the atmosphere and coolness of the game, than actually presenting that atmosphere.
    It must mean something that for me the weakest part of the game was the actual roleplaying.
    By the end, I didn't really feel like talking to any of the superficial npcs and choose any of the irrelevant dialogue options.
  18. Oct 2, 2014
    Very good, uncomplicated and linear role-playing game which is settled in a cyberpunk world, that combines elements of reality, fantasy and science fiction.
    I enjoy the (simple but intuitive) game mechanics, the (Xcom-like) combat, the storyline (in which you try to find a serial killer) and my character developement a lot, havent discovered any bug so far and always knew what i should do next.

Havent had so much enjoyment in a long time, and therefore, can easily recommend!
  19. Sep 21, 2014
    The game features fantastic isometric images and great music, but that's it for me. I particularly don't like turn based combat, I'm not good at them, because it seems you need the optimal build from the start to make it. I failed in the very first combat session in this game: you somehow seem to be overwhelmed all the time. However, positive thing is that the designers gave multipleThe game features fantastic isometric images and great music, but that's it for me. I particularly don't like turn based combat, I'm not good at them, because it seems you need the optimal build from the start to make it. I failed in the very first combat session in this game: you somehow seem to be overwhelmed all the time. However, positive thing is that the designers gave multiple options to accomplish a task with either money, few of the skills or talk style. (I don't like games where you are cut from content because of your build, especially if it is somewhat tedius to replay to the same decision point over and over.) Missions barely give enough profit if you bring multiple shadowrunners along, which is almost always a must. Note that this is my opinion about the default Dead man's switch campaign, which has modestly interresting story, but not that engaging. Expand
  20. Sep 6, 2014
    Pile of garbage. If I have no stash I cannot buy **** for my characters. My main needs to be able to use what I buy because the stash disappears when I select another character. The thing is this **** over UGC too. Pistols are **** Oh and the graphics are ****
  21. Aug 26, 2014
    A highly enjoyable action/RPG with a great story and very fun combat elements. Game looks great and well worth a look for anyone who enjoys this mix of genres.
  22. Aug 23, 2014
    Incredible. Simply incredible.
    Having never heard of Shadowrun, apart from a mere read of one or two reviews of the XBOX shooter, I decided to try Shadowrun Returns, and as an RPG, it sounded more up my alley.
    Incredible. Simply incredible.
    I'll just start off with the story that's included with the game, 'Dead Man's Switch'. Dead Man's Switch starts off with your character that you made (it could be an Ork, a Troll, a Dwarf, etc) getting a message from a dead man, asking you to avenge his death.
    Sounds intriguing, no? I won't spoil anything major for you, but there are some serious things happening behind the scenes and some people pulling a lot of strings.
    The gameplay is an isometric RPG, with tactical round based combat. You have action points, which dictate how many moves you can take or what powers you can utilize each turn, and you can customize your character with guns, drones and magic.
    One of the highlights of the game for me is the Matrix. With any Decker character, you can plug yourself into ports and transfer an avatar of yourself into cyberspace. Not only does the Matrix look nice, the music is chilling (throughout the whole game, actually, the music is engaging) and the unique concepts within the Matrix are brilliant- there are some things inside the Matrix that actually hurt your real self- so be careful how much physical health you have before plugging yourself in!
    I did have a few problems with the game sometimes, however, such as not being able to save mid-mission, and the weapon system not being explained enough (why can't I equip a spell alongside my gun and drone?), but overall, a game that is definitely worth your time.
  23. Aug 14, 2014
    This game is a nice throwback to games like Baldur's gate but the problem is that those games are much much older and I would have rather just replayed them. Maybe I'm wrong but it just felt slow and there were parts where you have to read mountains of text. I really like the combat and character development so that is what saved it from being a total disappointment for me.
  24. Jul 24, 2014
    Combat is a bit simpler than I like it, but it's a good successor to the franchise. Very texty, it almost feels like an oldschool RPG experience with lots of text to click through. The story is good, the setting works well and the puzzles are a challenge.
    The fights can be a bit long though, and I wish there were more character customisation. Still, definitely worth a player for any RPG fan who likes slower-paced games.
  25. Jul 14, 2014
    Very solid RPG experience.
    About 15 hours playtime on the main campaign is enough content for a low budget title.
    The storyline is well presented with dialogue fitting to the world of Shadowrun. In addition you have access to the steam workshop with a lot of user generated content. Mechanics wise there is a problem with the hitting percentage which can be frustrating at times. 75%
    Very solid RPG experience.

75% hitchance often feels like its 40% at best.

Overall it is a fun experience, even for people who normally dont finish RPGs due to their length.
  26. Jul 13, 2014
    I think, I love everything about this game. It could be a little bit longer though, but still one of the coolest games ever played. Soundtrack, characters, scenario and dialogues... great work.
  27. Jul 12, 2014
    Extremely linear, doesn't feel like a real RPG - more like a point & click adventure w/o the puzzles and combining the items. It looks a bit like a mobile game... which it is. Though I was playing on PC. Combat is OK - I was surprised how little there was, which is actually a pleasant surprise (story and characters are more important to me). Writing is good, I enjoyed both theExtremely linear, doesn't feel like a real RPG - more like a point & click adventure w/o the puzzles and combining the items. It looks a bit like a mobile game... which it is. Though I was playing on PC. Combat is OK - I was surprised how little there was, which is actually a pleasant surprise (story and characters are more important to me). Writing is good, I enjoyed both the descriptions, flavor text and the dialogue. What killed the game for me (and is the reason for this low score) are the bugs which prevented me from finishing it. I was playing a Decker and had Black ICE follow me to the real world, was stuck on combat mode forever and after I got past that I found a jackpoint to which I could not jack in. What's the point of playing a Decker if everything Decker-wise is broken? I can only imagine how frustrated people must have been with the autosave system, fortunately I came to the party late. I cannot recommend this game in its current state and would be angry if I backed it up on Kickstarter. I did not, but I still paid for it, I wish I could get a refund on Steam for a broken product. Expand
  28. Jul 11, 2014
    I have to say, this was VERY refreshing. It felt good and fun. Quite intuitive. GREAT platform to make your own missions. As with everything, there is a "but" coming. ...but the campaign that comes with it goes from cool, to drag, to WTF?! If this game didn't come with the campaign editor, it would be a 4 or 5, but the community keeps it from mediocrity (mostly).

The cool things

The cool things we remember from the P&P are there. Just gotta keep an eye out for the easter eggs (first one you will see is over the bar). They decided to go more fantasy this time than cyberpunk and it gets campy. Anyone remember the movie "Dungeons & Dragons" with Marlon Wayans? Yea, that kind of campy.

At least the systems are still fun and that is the basis for the community adventures. I have to say, some people have gone WAY out on some of these. There are a few that so outclass the campaign that comes with the game, they should just feature them in the game (i.e. directly suggest the top 3 or 5 for immediate download. Oh you will get the campy ones, too. That's the price of community mods, but it certainly was a boon for Skyrim. So too, I feel, for Shadowrun Returns.
  29. Jul 2, 2014
    Decent. About all I can say, though. I spent some time looking through the negative reviews, and I must say that most the gripes and complaints (Aside from the actual linearity of the game) have been addressed.

I'm a linux user- game plays perfectly. Over 20 hours of gameplay and only one crash, which was my own fault. Quicksave works, along with rollback your autosaves. You can

Quicksave works, along with rollback your autosaves.

You can save on exit also.

Even can make your own save game.

Unfortunately, though, the game is still simple. It has no real "dice rolling" mechanics that I was hoping to be able to take advantage of. The numbers you "roll" seem arbitrary. The game is essentially: Level up your stuff, become more OP. Even with harder difficulty, it doesn't fix the simplistic gameplay.

The character designs seem second thought. I can't say that I'm attached to my character, really. There isn't much character progression you can do, even with user generated content that I've seen so far.

The game is worth it on a sale. The developers seem to be addressing the concerns of the community, as you see by my list of fixed items. However, I still can't say it is a "great game". Just a game to spend some time with.

The saving grace is that as a table top runner for some shadowrun every now and again, the game has given me ideas on streamlining matrix and "jaking in" in general. The matrix aspect of this game is interesting. It isn't technical, at all- But it works. it gets the point across. You don't need to be a networking engineer to undestand what you're doing. That is a very nicely done thing.

Kudos for the effort. Just wish the characters had more to them.
  30. Jun 27, 2014
    General Overview: An old school (supposedly) game play centric game that will remind many of us of the beginnings of great role playing adventures such as the original Ultima series. The graphics provide a nice atmosphere and the writing is decent but the campaign, Dead Man's Switch is very linear with LOTS of text reading. Make no mistake, you are NOT buying this for the campaign asGeneral Overview: An old school (supposedly) game play centric game that will remind many of us of the beginnings of great role playing adventures such as the original Ultima series. The graphics provide a nice atmosphere and the writing is decent but the campaign, Dead Man's Switch is very linear with LOTS of text reading. Make no mistake, you are NOT buying this for the campaign as the characters are shallow and your interaction is too brief to be of consequence. Its more showcase for what you have bought which is the editor that allows user generated content. As a game its more of an interactive novel than a game and unfortunately the story is only serviceable. This game will also only appeal to those with the patience and tolerance for text based gaming in the narrative sense. The combat is also serviceable at best and the challenge is not there and the "karma" (development points for your character) are provided for some of the smallest of actions and make earning those nearly meaningless. If you have no interest in building your own missions to share. don't want to take the risk that others will create something that you love and you have no intention of buying the FAR SUPERIOR Dragon Fall DLC there is little to recommend here.

TL;DNR: 5:More of a demonstration campaign and editor tool for community development than a game. I would suggest avoiding unless you plan to create your own campaigns, want to try the community developed campaigns or plan to buy and play the FAR SUPERIOR Dragon Fall DLC.

Technology/engine: 5: nothing earth shattering here although the editor is accessible and works well to generate custom content.

AI: 5: Not much here in this installment. AI is standard fare.

Graphics: 8: The 3D/2D as they call it works well and the art style is appealing and creates a great atmosphere.

Sound: 5: The ambient sounds are decent but nothing to write home about.

Soundtrack: 5: Music is appropriate but not all that varied. Fits to the atmosphere created by the art and the writing but is nothing outstanding.

Voice acting: N/A

Crafting: N/A

Customization: 4: Very minor and nothing to get excited over.

Game play systems: 8: The game play systems are well formed but poorly executed in the campaign - its far too simple and combat is too brief and too simple with very little challenge. The hope lies in the communities ability to put these systems to good use.

Controls: 5: Simple point and click interaction. Very, very basic.

Story: 5: Character development is poor in this installment and conversational choices are meaningless. It really is not something to get excited about and the reading gets laborious at points as there is nothing really driving the story forward.

Multiplayer :N/A

1. Pelit (Finland)
    Oct 5, 2013
    Shadowrun Returns is a bit more simplistic than I had hoped for, but at the same time it is not bad at all. [Sept 2013]
  2. Sep 13, 2013
    Shadowrun Returns is a faithful reinterpretation (and in a vague sense, sequel) to the SNES game from 20 years ago, maybe a bit too faithful. Though most aspects of the the wild and unruly Shadowrun world is included, the promise of this game lies more in the open embrace of the mod community than the included adventure.
  3. Sep 10, 2013
    Shadowrun Returns will probably please most fans if perhaps not blow anyone out of the water. The campaign is well written and serves as a good introduction for new players. The variety in combat and character creation and dialogue options is great but suffers from a badly implemented autosave system. With lots of new campaigns on the horizon Shadowrun Returns is well worth keeping an eye on.