Shadowrun Returns PC

7.4

1. Mar 19, 2014
    Interesting rpg but pretty average. No voice acting, limited choice of equipment, no sidequests, bad combat system where you miss half of the time. Can't say I enjoyed it much.
  2. Aug 1, 2013
    Good game, not great, but good.
    Pros:
    -Atmosphere
    -Dialogues
    -Story
    -Visual style
    -Turn-Based Combat
    -Price
    -Setting
    I'd say that this game reminded me of first Fallout, I mean the overall feel.
  3. Feb 8, 2015
    Turn-based strategy RPG combo is pretty much the greatest thing ever. The setting, writing, and runs are just fabulous. Shadowrun: Dragonfall is even better!
  4. Oct 24, 2014
    Fantastic cyberpunk experience and a very pleasant surprise demonstrating that even on low budget you can create a wonderful game.

Sure, there are some budget shortcomings such as no voice overs, not only dialog, but there is actually not a single voice in the entire game, but I grew up on 90's RPGs, so I got used to extensive reading quickly and the game rewarded me with superb story from the Shadowrun universe.

A lot of the criticism is about the linearity of the game, which is true, but it didn't really bother me as it helped the storytelling pace to be more focused and without any weak points. I was enjoying the atmosphere and was intrigued by the story, expecting what will happen next. Descriptions of the world, the characters, dialogs, it's all written very well.

Don't expect a typical RPG with huge world where you can do anything, loot and so on (there isn't even proper inventory management and looting is mostly absent here), this is more of a story driven experience with some RPG elements and tactical turn-based combat ala X-Com which is very nicely done and there is a right amount of challenge. I like the variations of classes, different weapons, magic worked nicely, I played as a Decker and the infiltration where you hack into the matrix to achieve the security breach and you must be quick as the other party members are protecting you from the threats in the real world, experiences like this are what made this game unique and why I love it so much.

Also, after a recent disappointment with ugly visuals of Wasteland 2, another Kickstarter project using the same engine, I must say that I was very pleasantly surprised by all the beautiful hand-drawn visuals here, locations and environments are just gorgeous, most characters have their own hand-drawn pictures and the overall art style is very impressive. Sometimes I just stopped for a moment and appreciated the beauty. The whole thing oozes cyberpunk atmosphere which is supported by a fitting electronic soundtrack.

There is a minor gripe here, ambient tracks are fine, but the combat music is too short and repetitive and because turn-based battles here can last quite some time it repeats on loop over and over and it gets annoying. Another criticism I read in reviews is the absence of manual save and some bugs, but I played already the patched version, where not only you could save and quick save at your own leisure, but I haven't found a single bug in the entire game, completely bug-free (if I don't count the actually bug creatures in the story of course) and that deserves a big thumbs up, especially since this game runs on Unity engine and up to this point, my experience with Unity was extremely bad as all Unity games I played were completely infested with technical glitches, bad optimization and tons of other problems, be it Wasteland 2 or Might & Magic X, so I was afraid Shadowrun will suffer the same symptoms, but obviously when your developers are not completely incompetent, you can create 100% smooth ride even in Unity.

I didn't expect it, but to my surprise Shadowrun Returns is a cyberpunk masterpiece, I loved every minute of it and can strongly recommend it. Looking forward to play Dragonfall expansion. 10/10
  5. Jan 11, 2016
    Usually, i can easily round a score to a whole number in a ten-scale system. Shadowrun Returns, however, is right in the middle between 7 and 8. It is above 7 but not yet at 8. So here it is:
    75/100.
    PROS: Good story, interesting visual style, nice music (although limited to 3 or 4 tracks), some good characters. CONS: Specialty does not play a role, extremely simplified
    75/100.

PROS:

CONS:
    Specialty does not play a role, extremely simplified tactical point-and-click combat, linear story, a ton of reading (no voice-overs), not well-paced in terms of sequences between reading the story and running tactical missions, very lacking on explaining the Shadowrun universe.

Overall, a good RPG, which almost makes it into solid. Main things that prevent it from doing so are the linear non-branching story line, childish tactical combat, offset pacing due to burdensome amount of reading.
  6. Aug 26, 2014
    A highly enjoyable action/RPG with a great story and very fun combat elements. Game looks great and well worth a look for anyone who enjoys this mix of genres.
  7. Jul 26, 2013
    Shadowrun Returns is a PC platform, role playing game that takes on the rules, themes and likeness of the popular table top role playing game Shadowrun.

Besides some minor likenesses of the game, you are going to discover that this game is incredibly stiff, limiting and lifeless. The tabletop edition of the game was ALWAYS about player decisions and interactions with the game world, rules were always secondary.

In this game, very few choices are made and the ones you do make are mostly in dialog and usually have the same end result. The game is strictly story driven and during this time they refuse to allow you actually leave the path they've written for you.

I don't know if it's based on the engine or the campaign that came boxed with Shadowrun, but the system is very limited, you cannot even back track into old zones unless the system decides the story needs you to. Sides quests are also very few and far between.

There's almost no side quests, one of the big things in Shadowrun was running missions, but I am finding that besides the ones that directly effect the campaign itself, the side missions are few and far between.

The NPCs are pretty much lifeless, it wouldn't even matter if they were there unless they are for a quest or something.

The game is incredibly restricting and limited. And the length of the campaign that comes with the game game is practically unacceptable.

It's an alright game, but something I and many other people weren't expecting. We were expecting more. This software conversion of the role playing system does it no justice or service. My advice? Take the money you were going to use to buy this game and get a copy of the SNES game instead.
  8. Jul 25, 2013
    An absolute triumph of great design and overwhelming developer passion, Shadowrun Returns is at long last a worthy successor to it's predecessors on the SNES and Genesis/Megadrive, and a proud representation of the classic tabletop game.

Graphically, the game is luscious and stays utterly true to it's source material. Most impressive is the diversity of the classes in terms of gameplay. The matrix hacking element of the game flows naturally into the game, offering a spin on the gameplay which is a welcome distraction. Magic has been overhauled; no longer is playing a Shaman a chore.

The turn based system just works perfectly. Comparisons to X-Com are bound to occur, and they are justified to an extent, but it isn't a carbon copy of the system as it adds very definite Shadowrun only elements to it.

Another definitive Shadowrun feature is the Karma system of development. For this game, the Karma system lends itself to the RPG aspects of the title, forcing you to do good deeds to gain rewards. Whilst on paper this seems like a forced method of levelling, in practice it does well as it prevents the all-out turn based grind towards completion and compels you to explore the detailed world, held together by a spellbinding steampunk inspired soundtrack.

The core game is a bit on the easy side, and it is short (the £15 shelf tag highlights this lack of depth, but it's the perfect price point). That said, it isn't difficult to see how much this game is going to be built upon by a rabid fan base who have been baying for this game since the 90s. Six months from now, this game could easily have another 100+ hours of gameplay built on it by modders and the joyous thing is that the diversity and enjoyment of the game means that those 100 hours will be well spent indeed.

Shadowrunners everywhere, eradicate all memories of that woeful FPS offering that broke our hearts several years ago, get out your credsticks and buy this game because finally we've got the game we've been waiting for.
  9. Jun 27, 2014
    General Overview: An old school (supposedly) game play centric game that will remind many of us of the beginnings of great role playing adventures such as the original Ultima series. The graphics provide a nice atmosphere and the writing is decent but the campaign, Dead Man's Switch is very linear with LOTS of text reading. Make no mistake, you are NOT buying this for the campaign asGeneral Overview: An old school (supposedly) game play centric game that will remind many of us of the beginnings of great role playing adventures such as the original Ultima series. The graphics provide a nice atmosphere and the writing is decent but the campaign, Dead Man's Switch is very linear with LOTS of text reading. Make no mistake, you are NOT buying this for the campaign as the characters are shallow and your interaction is too brief to be of consequence. Its more showcase for what you have bought which is the editor that allows user generated content. As a game its more of an interactive novel than a game and unfortunately the story is only serviceable. This game will also only appeal to those with the patience and tolerance for text based gaming in the narrative sense. The combat is also serviceable at best and the challenge is not there and the "karma" (development points for your character) are provided for some of the smallest of actions and make earning those nearly meaningless. If you have no interest in building your own missions to share. don't want to take the risk that others will create something that you love and you have no intention of buying the FAR SUPERIOR Dragon Fall DLC there is little to recommend here.

TL;DNR: 5:More of a demonstration campaign and editor tool for community development than a game. I would suggest avoiding unless you plan to create your own campaigns, want to try the community developed campaigns or plan to buy and play the FAR SUPERIOR Dragon Fall DLC.

Technology/engine: 5: nothing earth shattering here although the editor is accessible and works well to generate custom content.

AI: 5: Not much here in this installment. AI is standard fare.

Graphics: 8: The 3D/2D as they call it works well and the art style is appealing and creates a great atmosphere.

Sound: 5: The ambient sounds are decent but nothing to write home about.

Soundtrack: 5: Music is appropriate but not all that varied. Fits to the atmosphere created by the art and the writing but is nothing outstanding.

Voice acting: N/A

Crafting: N/A

Customization: 4: Very minor and nothing to get excited over.

Game play systems: 8: The game play systems are well formed but poorly executed in the campaign - its far too simple and combat is too brief and too simple with very little challenge. The hope lies in the communities ability to put these systems to good use.

Controls: 5: Simple point and click interaction. Very, very basic.

Story: 5: Character development is poor in this installment and conversational choices are meaningless. It really is not something to get excited about and the reading gets laborious at points as there is nothing really driving the story forward.

Multiplayer :N/A
  10. Jul 25, 2013
    Shadowrun Returns is a great throwback to isometric RPGs like Fallout and Baldur's Gate. The released module's storyline is interesting, and offers a fair amount of replayability through different class/skill loadouts or dialogue choices. Combat is engaging, and plays similar to the recently released XCOM: Enemy Unknown, which in my book isn't a bad thing. Many of the systems in ReturnsShadowrun Returns is a great throwback to isometric RPGs like Fallout and Baldur's Gate. The released module's storyline is interesting, and offers a fair amount of replayability through different class/skill loadouts or dialogue choices. Combat is engaging, and plays similar to the recently released XCOM: Enemy Unknown, which in my book isn't a bad thing. Many of the systems in Returns are also very similar to pen and paper Shadowrun. A couple valid complaints that can be leveled at SR are that it has a checkpoint save system, and it is a bit combat centric, though the latter can easily be avoided in future modules. Anyway, what's been released so far is well worth the $20 admission fee, and the user-made content being generated guarantees SR a place on my hard drive for a long time to come. Expand
  11. Aug 4, 2013
    After completing the game and spending some time working with the User Generated Content tools, I'm afraid I have to drop my original score from a 6 to 4. Below is my original review with some minor revisions to address the change in score:

I was really stoked for a reboot of the CRPG version of Shadowrun, especially after Microsoft and FASA tried exploiting the world for a terrible FPS years ago. I loved the PNP version and played both the SNES and Genesis Shadowrun games so when I first heard about this I was excited.

Unfortunately, if you're looking for a CRPG in the style of older ones, keep walking. Shadowrun barely qualifies. The game offers the typical Shadowrun classes but then makes them completely arbitrary and therefore meaningless, since a "perk" of the game is that you can make your own "class" by assigning your own points anywhere. It took a modder to create a loot system because the devs themselves didn't put it in (mobs always drop the same items all the time in the base game), and there's no difference from character to character or "choice" to "choice". Most of the time spent will be spent reading, not playing, and combat is so simplistic, even on the harder difficulty levels, that you have to be a complete moron to fail at it.

For the classes and skill point themselves, they're ultimately meaningless. Dump enough points into health and one attack type and you'll win. If you want to play the game on "EZ-Mode", remember these two words: Street Samurai. "Stat" checks to accomplish things in the game are exceedingly rare, and stat checks in dialog trees are pointless because they always funnel you to the same place without adding anything of real substance. You can't augment your specific class by hiring Shadowrunners e.g. a hired Decker cannot unlock a datapad that requires Decking so Shadowrunners are basically just cannon fodder to make the game even easier.

Then there's the save game issue. Saving by checkpoints, causing players to repeat entire sections of game (mostly reading the same dialog over again) simply because the devs couldn't be bothered to add in a simple quick save, state save, or save on exit capability is ridiculous. Case-in-point: The game crashed, hard, early on in my first Shaman (in the Redmond Barrens), and the save system was so borked that it hadn't even saved, at all. About an hour of play was completely erased, leaving me to start over from character creation.

I'm sorry to say that this game is more akin to reading a b-rated, poorly written graphic novel than playing a game. There's little connection with the characters, the game is broken down into completely linear chapters with few side quests to do, player agency is minimal, and the writing bounces between well crafted and bad fan fiction. Credit where it's due, though: the background art is amazing and the music is top notch.

Originally, I had said "save your money and wait for a sale, or wait for user generated content to make the game worth purchasing". However, after playing with the UGC toolkit, I can't even recommend the game for community content. This is because the toolkit, while expansive, doesn't allow content creators address the fundamental flaws in the Unity engine itself. All addons are going to be as linear as the original main episode, and the RPG elements will always be lackluster because these are core components in the engine that simply cannot be "edited" through the toolkit. There will never be a community "open world" addition because the engine simply cannot allow for it. Even the BEST user generated content for SRR will suffer ALL of the same foibles of the core game.

If you're looking for nostalgia, just replay Fallout 1 or 2, or pop in Shadowrun for SNES or Genesis on a handy dandy emulator and save your money for a better game. I guess Harebrained can at least be happy in knowing that a 4/10 is still better than what I'd rate Shadowrun the FPS.
  12. Sep 7, 2013
    I am a bit torn about that game. I love the art-style, i liked the combat. I did not like the non existent voice acting AT FIRST but i got used to it. The storytelling writing was very good in the vanilla campaign. It felt like the game focused a bit too much on combat though you were rewarded for having skills outside of combat, but you simply HAD to have combat skills. i do not knowI am a bit torn about that game. I love the art-style, i liked the combat. I did not like the non existent voice acting AT FIRST but i got used to it. The storytelling writing was very good in the vanilla campaign. It felt like the game focused a bit too much on combat though you were rewarded for having skills outside of combat, but you simply HAD to have combat skills. i do not know if that is a trademark of the Shadowrun franchise though, because i have not played other SR games )

Adding an editor is a great thing and will do much for the modding community. I would have liked a "little" more character fidelity. We identify ourselves with the character in a RPG and while the game graphics were nice, the i would have liked to have an up sized, detailed char of myself. (yes, that is a very important feature for me in a RPG)

by the end of the vanilla campaign the game felt a bit more like a tactical Diablo and it was also too short by FAR. When i beat the game it felt like i had finished act 1 out of 4 but not the entire game.
  13. Sep 20, 2013
    A pretty fun game, especially since I came in with no expectations. There's little replay value, as the game revolves around a couple mysteries that just cant hold my attention the second time around. Still, the system is fairly interesting, and combat is ok.
  14. Aug 15, 2013
    Very good RPG with nice atmospheric environment, music,dialogues and scenario. If it was just a bit more refined it would remind me of Planescape Torment. Waiting for expansion packs that will deliver it's full potential.
  15. Jun 16, 2014
    They fixed the god awful lack of save feature so I finally sat down and finished the game. I really liked the theme, art, and setting. Overall, I enjoyed it.
  16. Jul 29, 2013
    Well it's a cheap game and it shows. Shot, linear, simple. Pretty much what you'd expect from a casual/tablet game. Don't expect a full-fledged oldschool RPG and you won't be disappointed.
  17. Aug 14, 2014
    This game is a nice throwback to games like Baldur's gate but the problem is that those games are much much older and I would have rather just replayed them. Maybe I'm wrong but it just felt slow and there were parts where you have to read mountains of text. I really like the combat and character development so that is what saved it from being a total disappointment for me.
  18. Aug 30, 2013
    The Shadowrun Universe is, hands down, one of the most entertaining and well-developed settings you could hope for in a game, and Shadowrun Returns hits most of the high-notes. A game designed around an editor (rather than a editor derived from a game) makes future quality content by the "mod" community all but assured. Some game-design choices give the sense that a larger budget couldThe Shadowrun Universe is, hands down, one of the most entertaining and well-developed settings you could hope for in a game, and Shadowrun Returns hits most of the high-notes. A game designed around an editor (rather than a editor derived from a game) makes future quality content by the "mod" community all but assured. Some game-design choices give the sense that a larger budget could have helped (the save-game system precludes easily saving "anywhere" but instead relies on linear checkpoints). But given the low initial price ($19.99 USD), the game feels fairly-priced, with room to grow. A great game for RPG fans. Expand
  19. May 28, 2015
    I got this game way past it's sell date. Picked it up on a weekend sale off steam for $2.49 (usually $14.99). All I can say is if your missing that Shadworun vibe this game is a great simple turn based combat RPG. The game has it's flaws as it is very stripped down. Not enough cyberware. It's best to min/max your character. Sometimes you can't figure out how your whole team had 3 actionsI got this game way past it's sell date. Picked it up on a weekend sale off steam for $2.49 (usually $14.99). All I can say is if your missing that Shadworun vibe this game is a great simple turn based combat RPG. The game has it's flaws as it is very stripped down. Not enough cyberware. It's best to min/max your character. Sometimes you can't figure out how your whole team had 3 actions and all of them missed a guy with 1 hp left with a 99% chance to hit. Saves are at odd points. Some runs are too simple. Some seem to have way to many enemies. But it certainly has the SR vibe. And not many games have it these days. But with all it's flaws, it's SR vibe and turn based combat is great addictive (though sometimes annoying) fun. This game is so good, I find myself desperate for a SR group or MMO. Expand
  20. Aug 2, 2013
    Shadowrun Returns is an isometric tactical RPG reminiscent of classic RPGs like Fallout, Neverwinter Nights, or Arcanum. The game takes place in a cyberpunk Seattle populated with fantasy creatures, magic, and high technology. Right from the start, the game world sucks you in with beautifully detailed levels and characters. Surprising for some, this game features no voice acting.Shadowrun Returns is an isometric tactical RPG reminiscent of classic RPGs like Fallout, Neverwinter Nights, or Arcanum. The game takes place in a cyberpunk Seattle populated with fantasy creatures, magic, and high technology. Right from the start, the game world sucks you in with beautifully detailed levels and characters. Surprising for some, this game features no voice acting. Instead, brief narrations often accompany NPC dialogue which do a great job sucking you into the world. Few modern games have writing as good as this, and yet, your dialogue choices are still lackluster. Every response you can give is essentially a variation of "Alright" with varying degrees of attitude. Player choice is essentially non existent as the game is highly linear. Levels are cramped and there is rarely room for exploration. The few side quests there are are purely optional, but you'd be a fool not to do them as they often provide essential cash. The interface is largely good but certain mechanics, namely spell equipping, could have used more information. The leveling system is fine but Charisma is a largely useless stat. Character class balance could be better but overall isn't bad. Mages often become little more than heal bots unless you're on a higher difficulty and riggers leave a bit to be desired. Deckers (hackers) have limited combat usefulness but can enter the Matrix and hack systems thereby gaining control of turrets, opening locked areas, or shutting off security cameras. Anyone familiar with the recent X-COM reboot will be familiar with the turn based combat. There are varying degrees of cover and you expend AP to perform various actions. The game is considerably less challenging and more forgiving than the classic games it emulates so well, but the game never felt too easy or too hard. Unfortunately, there is no manual save and you are forced to rely on a checkpoint save. Messing up often means restarting an entire mission making playthroughs on higher difficulties more of a chore than it needs to be. The story is interesting though predictable. The saving grace of this game, provided people care to take the time with it, will be the mods. Already on Steam are a few interesting additions to the game and I look forward to see what else the community dreams up. If you're big into classic RPGs some of Shadowrun's design choices will upset you more than a bit, but for everyone else this is an enjoyable (if brief by RPG standards, 9-12 hours) experience. Expand
  21. Jul 27, 2013
    It would be great, unfortunately, it's id***-friendly improvements, mentioned many times: checkpoints! UNLIMITED AMMO! It's only 1/100 of what it could be.
  22. Sep 21, 2014
    The game features fantastic isometric images and great music, but that's it for me. I particularly don't like turn based combat, I'm not good at them, because it seems you need the optimal build from the start to make it. I failed in the very first combat session in this game: you somehow seem to be overwhelmed all the time. However, positive thing is that the designers gave multipleThe game features fantastic isometric images and great music, but that's it for me. I particularly don't like turn based combat, I'm not good at them, because it seems you need the optimal build from the start to make it. I failed in the very first combat session in this game: you somehow seem to be overwhelmed all the time. However, positive thing is that the designers gave multiple options to accomplish a task with either money, few of the skills or talk style. (I don't like games where you are cut from content because of your build, especially if it is somewhat tedius to replay to the same decision point over and over.) Missions barely give enough profit if you bring multiple shadowrunners along, which is almost always a must. Note that this is my opinion about the default Dead man's switch campaign, which has modestly interresting story, but not that engaging. Expand
  23. Jul 26, 2013
    The lack of player controlled save system is the only major downside to this top down turn based rpg.

Hopefully that's something modders can address there is however a charecter importer to bring your avatar into as many player created missions as you want (mod tools included with base game and integrated with the steam workshop) If nothing else this is a solid investment at it's price for what it has the potential to be.
  24. Apr 3, 2014
    A fairly flawed game that I wanted to like, but the controls are so clunky and slow, and the game so 1-dimensional that I can't give it better than a 4.
  25. Jul 26, 2013
    Like every game, this isn't for everyone. The default campaign is short (took me slightly north of 10 hours without skipping sidequests), it has a check point system instead of save anywhere, lack of lootable corpses, and no voice acting. If none of that bothers you, it's worth a look. The story isn't bad, and there's a lot of dialog.

My main complaints are as an RPG, it's kind of

My main complaints are as an RPG, it's kind of lacking content. The campaign is very linear, not a lot of tactical depth to combat, no ability to customize anything except a handful of consumables on party members, nearly all hired runners lack any personality, and reactivity is pretty sparse (ie special dialog for race/gender is rare). However, where this game will really shine is future content. It shipped with an ugly but powerful editor that allows modders to fix certain things (more open world questing and lootable bodies for starters). The Berlin DLC is also planned to be more open ended.

Overall, a shallow but solid default campaign. The best of this game will come to the surface in the coming months.
  26. Jul 29, 2013
    Bad save system
    - Sound (overall) is subpar
    - Large descriptive bricks of text (I can live with that, but I am not the majority on this) - No voice acting (not even a bit on the intro, to immerse you on the environment) - Standard gameplay (no innovation at all, well at least it has conjuring and invocations) - Small maps that causes too much loading in between scenarios maps.
    Bad save system
    - Sound (overall) is subpar
    - Small maps that causes too much loading in between scenarios maps. Funny thing,
    even scenarios are really small, the loading takes it's time.
    - Char animations are ok, but the interaction animation for the principal character could have been better.
    - Character archetypes and char level progression is cristal clear and easy to follow (really like that )
    - You get karma points fairly kick so character progression is more interactive
    - It's mission oriented philosophy makes the game pretty corridor like with almost no room for exploration (not saying is bad, but some RPG fans don't like this)

Some of this drawbacks and problems point to decisions taken thinking on Tablet mobile market.If so, they ruined what PC experience could have been, that, in my opinion, is where a franchise like shadowruns should be emerging.

It is a OK game you play ?
    Well if you like CRPGs, yes it's ok.
    The world of Shadowruns is great and the idea behind is also really interesting

For the price?
    Well, here is the problem.
    I've seen indie games with better production values for a lower price than Shadowruns.

So, what makes the difference ??
    Well, the campaign and level editor seems to be the emergency pot here.
    Community will eventually produce content for this game and you will always have something
    fresh to test playthrough on the Shadowrun world.

I will play this game to the end of the final campaign and see what happens in the middle with the commutity and devs, but I fell, that even for the (low) price, is a pretty standard game.
    Id rather pay up to 30USD for a franchise like this one, to get a better outcome.
  27. Jul 26, 2013
    If you remember those isometric games of old, the games like "Fallout 2" or "Baldur's Gate" and remember them with fondness, then this is the game for you.

If you tried to play those games again in the recent years and found it to be tedious and prefer the more up-to-date game quality like "Skyrim" or "Fallout: New Vegas" than this is not a game for you. If you are feeling nostalgic

If you are feeling nostalgic and want a modern take on a classic game style with an interesting story without all the bells and whistles, then try this game and see what future escapades people can create for this game.
  28. Jul 25, 2013
    My Background:
    My Background:
    I've never played Shadowrun before, neither on pnp nor pc. I'm a great fan of dystopian cyberpunk, but I loathe the idea of elves and other fantasy races in sci-fi. Still, I was hyped and had fairly high hopes for this game because there is a severe lack of good cRPGs these days. Every HBS game I've played before SRR have been pure and utter so while hope where high expectations where low.

Game Mechanics:
    Skills and abilities are somewhat minimalistic for a cRPG, both in number and stated function. They are however to the point and without a huge number of redundant and useless abilities. They are also numerous and deep enough to allow for strategy through character building in a meaningful way. Maybe more meaningful than many games with a more numerous and complex skill-set. This is an achievement from a game-design perspective.

Furthermore they make full use of the skills through dialogue options like Fallout 1 and 2, and planescape: torment. This works really well, even better than in those original titles!

The class-less system works perfectly, unlike many other popular cRPGs.

At a glance the skill-system looks a bit like in the mass effect franchise, while the class-less feature can be compared to the Elder scrolls franchise. Both of them works a lot better in SRR than they do in the two blockbusters!

Gameplay is real-time except for turn-based combat (like in xcom) and dialogue, just like in the first two fallout games. This works well. 2D Graphics put limitations on destruction of scenery, but compared to the gains of using 2D this matters little. There is plenty of object interaction such as looking for clues and analyzing them, hacking computers and security-networks, hacking the internet-like Matrix, finding hidden items and more.

Character Concepts work way better than I could ever imagine. I felt bad chills going down my spine as I realized that my character concept probably worked best as an Elf(!), but decided to try it out regardless. Would I have to endure glittering nail-polish, pouty lips and pink ribbons in my hair? When I found a portrait that looked more like a Necron than an Elf my grin went from one metallic ear to the other. Who would have known that the concept of elf could actually add to the feel of the fiction?!.. I'm amazed!

The Stock Campaign:
    HBS have made a very stylised «Sin City meets Blade Runner -ish» detective/agent story. They have just the right amount and type of clichés to make it work, and every element in the game contributes to this sci-fi noir feel.

Both the characters and dialogue are mature and intelligently made.

Fantastic story with no redundancy. Not once did I ask myself “why the heck am I doing this?!” Not once did I have to run errands to earn xp, or be left with the choice of being either an utter or a charity-running do-gooder. Not once was I forced into a random combat that felt out of place or redundant. It's incredibly liberating to once again play a cRPG that doesn't feel like a slaughterhouse grind. SRR do this better in its stock campaign than even Planescape: Torment did. It's not that you can avoid every combat, but rather that every darnedest one feels will-timed, proper and meaningful.

Graphics:
    2D background is beautiful and well done. Drawback no scenery destruction.
    Character sprites are undefined and ugly, but I find myself not caring much about this.
    Character Profile Pics are maybe the best I've seen in any game.

Champaign Editor:
    Haven't tried it yet, but I'm gonna assume it's at least able to create the stock campaign, in which case it's brilliant compared to anything out there. Can't wait to try out user-created campaigns.

State-of-the-Game:
    The game is quite stable and appears polished for the most part.

Bad Drawbacks:
    Checkpoint based saving This is such a weak and unintelligent solution that really hurts gameplay.
    Pixel-clicking The activation area of sprites in the game are glitchy.

Matters of Taste:
    The game is very linear in the sense that you don't have a choice in where to go next. The areas you move through is in essence a track. However, I'be found that in this game this is a strength, as it helps focus and remove redundancies from the story.

Short Campaign:
    In my opinion a game should not drone on for the sake of adding game-hours. The campaign is compact 12 hours of constant fun. There is more fun baked into SSRs 12 hours than there is spread out amongst DAOs 60 hours or Skyrims 360 hours. Quality is equal to fun divided by time imho.

A Conclution of Paradox:
    The package of SRR as a whole is so powerful that even with the minus 30% from checkpoint-saves, it deserves the very highest score possible. Doesn't mean that it cannot be better, just that even with this glaring flaw it's the very best of it's genre so far.
  29. Aug 4, 2013
    There's one thing that needs to be established first. Shadowrun Returns is NOT a game. It's a mission editor with a free sample campaign attached. And it has cost its backers a solid $1.8M to develop.

And as far as the sample campaign goes... It's bad. The interface is clearly tuned for tablets and has no hotkeys. The game mechanics are very simplistic unlimited ammunition, "big" action points that allow you to move or shoot and rather unpredictable cover mechanics where you can't predict if an object will actually give you cover until you are able to move near it. All gloriously copied from the new X-COM, only without love and polish. Add to that pretty ridiculous hacking (it's entirely like normal combat, but simpler and looks like Tron), an absolutely sterile world where you can't enter non-mission related buildings or get some miscellaneous reading (newspapers, datapads et c.) and a godawful stat distribution screen which gives you no hint as to how much benefit each stat gives besides checkpoints that grant new skills. What you get in the end is an unenthusiastic attempt at transferring the pen and paper game to a computer.

Many famous writers and designers are rumored to have worked on this but Shadowrun Returns shows no love put in it. Not anywhere. At least it's rather cheap so you can buy it and hope for user-generated content on Steam Workshop.
  30. Nov 23, 2013
    There's a lot to like about Shadowrun Returns. Not the least of which it is a huge amount of fun. Fun marred by some silly but painful issues but still fun.

What Shadowrun does right is the turn based game is simple but still tactical. The story moves fast and leaves me compelled to read all the text boxes. A little mediocre are the graphics and more so the sound effects. Not a

A little mediocre are the graphics and more so the sound effects. Not a big issue unless you're expecting something that looks like XCom: Enemy Unknown.

What it does wrong is unfortunate and honestly feels like it could have been fixed with a couple of weeks more effort. This game only auto-saves. And those saves are few and far between (generally 15 to 20 minutes of game-play). This can be quite frustrating when a simple battles turns into a run of bad dice rolls and a character you didn't want dead ends of up dead.

Or, more annoyingly, when you need to shut down and spend quarter of an hour hunting for the next save point (Why not save when closing the parties locker?)

The next big issue (again a small programming issue) is that I run a higher than usual resolution but can only zoom as if I was running a much lower resolution leaving everything looking tiny including interactive icons. This is exacerbated by character dialogues that change the camera zoom. And there is a lot of dialogue.

All in a all a pretty awesome game almost broken by two small issues. Oops.
  31. Mar 18, 2014
    This game succeeds because it captures the spirit of Shadowrun. The balance isn't quite there and sometimes the gameplay feels slightly limited, but it feels like Shadowrun and that's very important. It also succeeds in making an environment to create Shadowrun adventures easily and is a very promising start to something that was probably published in something like a beta state.
  32. Oct 6, 2013
    Great tactic rpg in fantastic Shadowrun universe. Nice hero making possibility and without cheating You can really be whatever You want and it is also playable. Making Your own team can easily match the differences between classes. Pity it is not so long, but main plot is quite interesting and barely naive. Game absolutely necessary for every old timer rpg fan. Gameplay is good and quiteGreat tactic rpg in fantastic Shadowrun universe. Nice hero making possibility and without cheating You can really be whatever You want and it is also playable. Making Your own team can easily match the differences between classes. Pity it is not so long, but main plot is quite interesting and barely naive. Game absolutely necessary for every old timer rpg fan. Gameplay is good and quite rich. Graphics are great flowing in good sci-fi climate souse. Expand
  33. Jul 28, 2013
    Been a fan of Shadowrun since early 90's and was looking forward to this game. As I can forgive the straightforward story where player only controls the fights, the worst thing in this game is that there is no save game option. So basic thing in gaming and devs "forgot" to include it.
  34. Aug 12, 2013
    The game is most closely related to classic Fallouts. It has much of the same mix of RPG and squad combat elements. I agree with most of other reviewers: it's not especially great, but entertaining enough. I kinda liked the story, even if it was completely linear. I guess for me biggest plus of this game is there was no games of this kind for years, and I used to like them back in the day.
  35. Jul 27, 2013
    I just finished the game. The ending story is nice but the ending itself was poorly done. The game is too easy all along. There's no replay value to the main story since it's so damn linear. Kill forward kill. It's a game built for consoles. I'm pretty sure they're going to release this on xbox and such and that's probably why it's so easy. The UI is oversimplified. The combat gets veryI just finished the game. The ending story is nice but the ending itself was poorly done. The game is too easy all along. There's no replay value to the main story since it's so damn linear. Kill forward kill. It's a game built for consoles. I'm pretty sure they're going to release this on xbox and such and that's probably why it's so easy. The UI is oversimplified. The combat gets very repetitive once you got the moves down. The buffing system is annoying as hell, with rebuffs every few turns. Expand
  36. Aug 16, 2013
    Love the setting, love the look, love the gameplay. My only complaints are that its a little short and a little buggy. Neither of which should put you off snapping it up. Its well worth your time & money.

Plus with the Berlin expansion and community created content I reckon there's a lot of mileage left.
  37. Jul 25, 2013
    This is a welcome update to a RPG classic. I got my Elf Mage all ready to go and was, for the most part, enjoying the game until I realized there are no Steam achievements. What the drek?! I'm happy to support this game and while I know it's irrational to not play a game due to a lack of admittedly arbitrary achievements (what can I say: I'm OCD about this), not including them these daysThis is a welcome update to a RPG classic. I got my Elf Mage all ready to go and was, for the most part, enjoying the game until I realized there are no Steam achievements. What the drek?! I'm happy to support this game and while I know it's irrational to not play a game due to a lack of admittedly arbitrary achievements (what can I say: I'm OCD about this), not including them these days just seems lazy (or Nintendo) so I'm tapping out of Shadowrun. Back to XCOM. The developers say they may add them later to which I say I may play it (and revise my score) later. Expand
  38. Oct 11, 2014
    This is the perfect example of how a tabletop RPG is so much different than a CRPG.
    A translation must be done, some things are better in a tabletop RPG and other things are best suited for a computer.
    Ignoring it, we have this: poor simplified game play, where the story is read to us, relying mostly on descriptions on the atmosphere and coolness of the game, than actually presenting that atmosphere.
    It must mean something that for me the weakest part of the game was the actual roleplaying.
    By the end, I didn't really feel like talking to any of the superficial npcs and choose any of the irrelevant dialogue options.
  39. Jul 26, 2013
    Whilst the game has its own charms, what it basically boils down to is a wall of text with choices lead to the same result no matter what you pick. Also there is very little action, with little interaction. For example entire streets are eye candy, just something to walk down, with nothing to do in them. The game play seems extremely linear and the lack of a save function means readingWhilst the game has its own charms, what it basically boils down to is a wall of text with choices lead to the same result no matter what you pick. Also there is very little action, with little interaction. For example entire streets are eye candy, just something to walk down, with nothing to do in them. The game play seems extremely linear and the lack of a save function means reading the wall of text again due to lost progress becomes a reason not to reload the game at all. Whilst the story is interesting, I think reading a Shadowrun book would be a lot cheaper and more fun than playing the shadowrun returns game. Expand
  40. Oct 2, 2014
    Very good, uncomplicated and linear role-playing game which is settled in a cyberpunk world, that combines elements of reality, fantasy and science fiction.
    I enjoy the (simple but intuitive) game mechanics, the (Xcom-like) combat, the storyline (in which you try to find a serial killer) and my character developement a lot, havent discovered any bug so far and always knew what i should do next.

Havent had so much enjoyment in a long time, and therefore, can easily recommend!
  41. Jul 31, 2013
    The game has an interesting plot. However there isn't much you can do to affect the plot, as it seems. The RPG system is actually very nice and original in my oppinion, as are the game mechanics (decking, spells e.t.c.). The graphics are old-school, but they are pleasant for the eye. I would give it a 8-9 if it was a bit more polished. It's a good game but don't expect it to be somethingThe game has an interesting plot. However there isn't much you can do to affect the plot, as it seems. The RPG system is actually very nice and original in my oppinion, as are the game mechanics (decking, spells e.t.c.). The graphics are old-school, but they are pleasant for the eye. I would give it a 8-9 if it was a bit more polished. It's a good game but don't expect it to be something extra-ordinary. Expand
  42. Aug 21, 2013
    Delivered precisely what I wanted from them.

Is it short? Yes. Are the tactical options somewhat limited? Yes. Is the tactical iso combat frustrating and unintuitive at points? Absolute.

But did it capture the essential flavor of the original SNES and Genesis game? Yes! Is it a decent tactical turn based squad game? Yes. Is the story better than 90% of games out there? Very much so.
  43. Nov 1, 2013
    I give it a 5 because it has mod capabilities and The Nexus supports mods for easy access. The game itself is linear, simple and quite honestly boring but you'll be able to find some nice mods out there which makes it playable.
  44. Jul 11, 2014
    I have to say, this was VERY refreshing. It felt good and fun. Quite intuitive. GREAT platform to make your own missions. As with everything, there is a "but" coming. ...but the campaign that comes with it goes from cool, to drag, to WTF?! If this game didn't come with the campaign editor, it would be a 4 or 5, but the community keeps it from mediocrity (mostly).

The cool things

The cool things we remember from the P&P are there. Just gotta keep an eye out for the easter eggs (first one you will see is over the bar). They decided to go more fantasy this time than cyberpunk and it gets campy. Anyone remember the movie "Dungeons & Dragons" with Marlon Wayans? Yea, that kind of campy.

At least the systems are still fun and that is the basis for the community adventures. I have to say, some people have gone WAY out on some of these. There are a few that so outclass the campaign that comes with the game, they should just feature them in the game (i.e. directly suggest the top 3 or 5 for immediate download. Oh you will get the campy ones, too. That's the price of community mods, but it certainly was a boon for Skyrim. So too, I feel, for Shadowrun Returns.
  45. Jul 26, 2013
    A nice tactical RPG with excellent music and backgrounds. The character animations aren't great (though not terrible either) and there is a complete lack of any voice acting, but overall the story is very enjoyable and the dialogue is well written.

More side quests would be excellent, and we will probably see a healthy modding community start building many side quests either as extensions of the main game or as their own stories. The character customization and loot are fairly simplistic, and the interface seems like it really had tablets in mind (good if you're playing on a tablet, so-so if you're on a PC). Loot from enemies would have been an excellent addition, even if much of it were just fenced for extra Nuyen.

One very poor design choice was to make saving only occur between "levels" or the loading of new maps. A save state during gameplay would have made much more sense, and for those who feel like that's cheating to constantly reload to attempt something difficult they could have included a "hardcore" more in which death is permanent and a complete replay of the game/level is required.

For the price ($20 at launch) this is a pretty good game, certainly no AAA title but enough to keep me entertained and excited to see what the modding community comes up with, which will probably end up being as good or better than the main campaign, which I only wish were a bit longer and had significantly more side quests and exploration instead of railroaded 99% of the time.
  46. Jul 26, 2013
    This game is dreadful. It takes linear gaming to new, never before seen levels, has extremely dull and simplistic combat, and because it has no manual save system, if you die and go back to a checkpoint, you'll have to reassign any karma points you had since spent. Just about the only positive thing I can say about it and the reason I didn't give it an even lower score is that the writingThis game is dreadful. It takes linear gaming to new, never before seen levels, has extremely dull and simplistic combat, and because it has no manual save system, if you die and go back to a checkpoint, you'll have to reassign any karma points you had since spent. Just about the only positive thing I can say about it and the reason I didn't give it an even lower score is that the writing is actually good, and because with the editor maybe someone somewhere might make a story good enough to suffer through the dreary combat again. Expand
  47. Aug 9, 2013
    This was the first "major" kickstarter campaign I funded that came to fruition, and the first one where I can honestly say "money well invested".
    For it's limited budget and short development time, the game delivers exactly what it intended to. Solid, old school roleplaying in a well-loved setting. It catches the atmosphere and the "feel" of the universe just perfectly IMO. The graphic style and looks are superb for me.
    The initial campaign is short, but very well done. It has a wonderful "detective noir" flair in the first act, many references for old shadowrun players and readers, and some pretty interesting battles, none of which feel like filler material just there to increase game time. The second act is a bit more linear, but still well written and with some very satisfying runs.
    The tactical turn-based combat is interesting, though not perfect yet, but it beats most modern RPG hackfests hands down. The interface is a bit too "tablet style" for my taste, as is the inventory system.
    The save game system is bad, no doubt about that. At least a "save on exit" option badly needs to be implemented, as some checkpoint are *very* far from each other.
    The campaign is pretty short (about 12 hours for a thorough playthrough), but I take quality over quantity any time. And I still get the Berlin campaign in October. :-)
    All in all, I'd rate it a 7, and add an extra point for the editor, that has already yielded a few short but interesting user made runs, and for the upcoming Berlin Campaign that I'm really looking forward for.
  48. Jul 28, 2013
    I gave this game an honest 4. It isn't a 0 as it is not a disaster but there is no way it is a 10. There are much better games out there that are similiar that deserve a 10. While it is good that an indy and kickstarter game has made it, it is really dissapointing for their budget with what else is out there.

Pros: -Writing and unique immerison are farily good -Skill point

Pros:
    -Writing and unique immerison are farily good
    -Skill point differential allows for different playthroughs and dialogue
    -Different races and interactions with characters is nice
    -Game world backdrops are nicely drawn (eventhough you can't interact)
    -It's in Seattle where I live

Cons:
    -Story is completley linear, just a point and click adventure
    -Combat is very poor, repetitive, and straight forward.Also very easy
    -Classes are meaningless as guns rule the game
    -No open world (just clarify as it kinda impies it is)
    -Equipment/guns are really limited, you will only change it about three times in the 10 hour game
    -Checkpoint save only. It doesnt make it harder it just makes it annoying
  49. Jul 25, 2013
    Great retro style pc game. Very good tactical combat, classic shadow run style leveling system. What i dislike the the lack of a save feature, you have to rely on auto saves at checkpoints, and i find that annoying.

Otherwise its a great game.
  50. Dec 19, 2013
    I went into this game having no prior knowledge of Shadowrun other than some general knowledge about the setting. I have to say this game has made me a fan, extremely well written and well put together campaign. My only complaint is that it feels very very short for this type of game, I was just getting into it when it ended, which was extremely disappointing. The combat and characterI went into this game having no prior knowledge of Shadowrun other than some general knowledge about the setting. I have to say this game has made me a fan, extremely well written and well put together campaign. My only complaint is that it feels very very short for this type of game, I was just getting into it when it ended, which was extremely disappointing. The combat and character development is interesting and the challenge was sufficient on the higher difficulty settings. I can't wait for their next official campaign and to try some user created ones. Expand
  51. Jul 25, 2013
    The main word I have to describe Shadowrun Returns is "dissapointing". I have a massive problem with the way the game was designed and created in that this is more or less an ios style game. Whether or not that's what they are going for the interface is completely abhorrent and everything that relies on it as well. The save system is atrocious and the game would have gone up at leastThe main word I have to describe Shadowrun Returns is "dissapointing". I have a massive problem with the way the game was designed and created in that this is more or less an ios style game. Whether or not that's what they are going for the interface is completely abhorrent and everything that relies on it as well. The save system is atrocious and the game would have gone up at least another point if it didn't have this godawful save system. WHY? WHY? Why did they have this atrocious checkpoint system in a game like this? It makes NO SENSE. The dialogue is a mixed bag from horribly written to passable to good although most of it is not good and was seemingly written by a teenager. It is just so immature in relation to the maturity of the world, it doesn't fit at all. Gameplay is meh but that really isn't the allure of a game like this. Overall I am greatly dissapointed and the only thing I like is the artstyle. Which also shows another glaring error when playing at high resolutions: the character models. The environments are gorgeous but the characters look extremely bad at 2560x1400. They are pixelated around the edges, especially when besides cover (even with 8x aa one) and the detail on them is horrendous. All I could think about while playing this game was that this was a phone game that wasn't properly ported to the PC and technical issues are what hurt it the most. Animations, character graphics, the awful UI it all makes a pretty good game horrendously average. It could have been a solid 8/10 but I don't know. Maybe they needed more time. Expand
  52. Aug 8, 2013
    The game is pretty, but ultimately uninspiring. It's a very bitter example of missed opportunities. The gameplay is extremely linear. The save system is not very good, leading to having to replay long sequences after a death. There are very few opportunities to look around, explore, or discover. The use of text trees is pretty good, but it's unclear how much REAL effect mostThe game is pretty, but ultimately uninspiring. It's a very bitter example of missed opportunities. The gameplay is extremely linear. The save system is not very good, leading to having to replay long sequences after a death. There are very few opportunities to look around, explore, or discover. The use of text trees is pretty good, but it's unclear how much REAL effect most encounters will have.

The story itself is a bit shallow and cliche. It tries to be dark and deep but it never feels as dramatic and sincere and emotional as the setting has the potential to be.

At the end of the day, it's just not enjoyable. I don't feel particularly inspired to play. It is, in a word, boring, and that is completely the worst possible thing you could say about an RPG game.
  53. Jul 27, 2013
    Bad story, that can be overlooked by the fun, nice gameplay and all the rpg elements that made this game a worthwhile experience. The game is shot but can be modded so chill and wait for some cool mods. Not a masterpiece but is better than a lot of the new AAA full budget crap
  54. Sep 6, 2014
    Pile of garbage. If I have no stash I cannot buy **** for my characters. My main needs to be able to use what I buy because the stash disappears when I select another character. The thing is this **** over UGC too. Pistols are **** Oh and the graphics are ****
  55. Jul 12, 2014
    Extremely linear, doesn't feel like a real RPG - more like a point & click adventure w/o the puzzles and combining the items. It looks a bit like a mobile game... which it is. Though I was playing on PC. Combat is OK - I was surprised how little there was, which is actually a pleasant surprise (story and characters are more important to me). Writing is good, I enjoyed both theExtremely linear, doesn't feel like a real RPG - more like a point & click adventure w/o the puzzles and combining the items. It looks a bit like a mobile game... which it is. Though I was playing on PC. Combat is OK - I was surprised how little there was, which is actually a pleasant surprise (story and characters are more important to me). Writing is good, I enjoyed both the descriptions, flavor text and the dialogue. What killed the game for me (and is the reason for this low score) are the bugs which prevented me from finishing it. I was playing a Decker and had Black ICE follow me to the real world, was stuck on combat mode forever and after I got past that I found a jackpoint to which I could not jack in. What's the point of playing a Decker if everything Decker-wise is broken? I can only imagine how frustrated people must have been with the autosave system, fortunately I came to the party late. I cannot recommend this game in its current state and would be angry if I backed it up on Kickstarter. I did not, but I still paid for it, I wish I could get a refund on Steam for a broken product. Expand
  56. Jul 29, 2013
    Not bad. I certainly felt that its setting and world was unique, I mean, nobody else has tried to mix DnD with cyberpunk. Writing's decent. Combat's great, and the environment's are gorgeous. Plus it's got plenty of shelf life with its editor.

There are a few problems to it. The environment can obscure certain areas at the bottom of the screen, there's no ability to traverse floors, Speechcraft while serviceable, is fairly no-thrills and it can be a bit difficult to control units close to each other in battle. Plus the main campaign kinda felt pretty short. Finally, its checkpoint save system was not fun to use.

Still, I enjoyed it. A good respectable return by the franchise.
  57. Mar 25, 2015
    Nice game that takes some getting used to. The isometric view put me off for a little while and the skill tree can be a bit confusing.

I got it off steam for about 14 Euros and it's worth it's money. The reasons why I don't give it a higher rating is because it being linear, having next to no replay value and (purely personal observation) it isn't addicting like some of my favorite RPGs. It's easy to save and exit as opposed to other titles. But there always comes a time when you fire it up again to play for another hour or two.

Having said that, if you can live with these flaws and are into customisation and that old pen and paper feeling, give it a shot. It doesn't cost the world as opposed some so called AAA titles, which turn out to be just poor console ports.
  58. Aug 22, 2013
    As a long time fan of the western RPG genre, and a man who has replayed titles such as Fallout 1 and it's sequel, Arcanum, and Baldurs Gate over and over again, I see this game as a poor attempt at a game.

How is it that games that came a long time ago could offer a more sophisticated playing experience than this game is beyond me. No save feature made me have to go through the same uninspired dialogue options over multiple times, only to realize it didn't matter which one I picked. The game is on rails and makes no attempt at disguising the fact.

You can tell an NPC that "you want to", "sort of want to", or "have no choice" when presented with a quest, which makes the entire role playing segments devoid of meaning. It matters little who you are when an entirely different person would have done the same. Expect no replayability from this one.

Also, one cannot simply copy the modern reincarnation of X-COM's battle system, dumb it down, and expect a great final product. Whenever you fight anyone and anything in this game, prepare yourself to be dulled; it takes an obscene amount of time to complete an action, the hit and miss percentages are broken, and the animations are some of the more horrid I have seen since 2002.

However, this game has a great feature that most of the reviewers seem to miss; if you go to the game folder, there seems to be an application near the tool-set named "uninstall". Click on it, and pour yourself a five of gin. Just forget this game ever happened.
  59. Jul 27, 2013
    There's a lot of criticism on this game. Some is unjust and some is valid.
    If you like a game with a good story and nice tactical turn-based combat this is a game worth playing but not without its' shortcomings.
    Here's some silly critiscism: - The game has too much text. there's no such thing as too much text! - The game has terrible graphics Are you kidding me? Beautiful handcrafted
    There's a lot of criticism on this game. Some is unjust and some is valid.
    Here's some silly critiscism:
    - The game has too much text. there's no such thing as too much text!
    - The game has terrible graphics Are you kidding me? Beautiful handcrafted graphics and very good animations for an indie game!
    - You can't save whenever you want Well, that's how games should be, there are consequences for doing mistakes! Dark Souls anyone?
    Here's some valid criticism:
    - The game is short
    - The story is linear and your decisions don't really matter
    - The game is too easy
    All of the above will be fixed with custom campaigns, so in the end there's pretty much nothing to whine about...
  60. Jul 27, 2013
    It's...adequate. The story is just compelling enough to keep you going, the UI is functional, though not impressive, the graphics decent though not flashy, the animations...well, ok the animations are somewhat sub par. Overall, it does the job. Good enough.
  61. Oct 10, 2013
    I really enjoyed this game and can review it in the context of modern games, without having played any prior shadow run games. RPG elements are a bit light and party dynamics are fairly weak. However there is definitely an immersive environment and story that pushes you forward to play more and more of the game. The thing that detracts however is the length of the game. I was seriouslyI really enjoyed this game and can review it in the context of modern games, without having played any prior shadow run games. RPG elements are a bit light and party dynamics are fairly weak. However there is definitely an immersive environment and story that pushes you forward to play more and more of the game. The thing that detracts however is the length of the game. I was seriously expecting double/triple the size and content, very disappointing and slightly ruins an otherwise enjoyable game. Expand
  62. Jul 29, 2013
    Good game but I expected much more. I wanted a new Fallout or a Baldur's but instead I've received a pretty shallow RPG experience ...

Things I hate (the original campaign): - No save system Basically the game is checkpoint based, and I don't think this system is suitable for this kind of games . - The campaign is completely linear. No role-playing. - No mini-map . - No loot

Things I hate (the original campaign):

- The campaign is completely linear. No role-playing.
    - No mini-map .
    - No loot (dying monsters don't drop a thing...maybe sometime keycards) .
    - The story is mediocre .

Things I like:
    - Atmosphere
  63. Jul 25, 2013
    I have a real soft spot for turn based RPG games. The addition of the XCOM style cover system and the dark art theme brought this game to a level I didn't expect. II look forward to the community content and I hope this game has a very long life.

*** I wish people wouldn't tank game scores by giving games a zero. Do you really see the game as a zero? Did you dislike it that much?
  64. Jul 25, 2013
    The game is good, but there are some major down points being glossed over by fan-children or sales representatives.

1) No save anywhere system. You can and will lose up to 30 mins. of progress because you did not hit the checkpoint. There is no save after a certain time either, its only on checkpoint, so if you have to do something, or are otherwise interrupted, you end up going back through a lot of dialogue and decisions you have already made, not just combat.
    2) Unlimited ammo. Got a sweet rocket launcher? Shoot it forever.
    3) Extremely linear; hopefully the user created campaigns are better.

Still probably a good game for a Shadowrun fan; if youre not a fan, you might want to wait for a sale.
  65. Sep 9, 2015
    Shadowrun returns is a good classic rpg with really solid writing (although the story gets medicore in the end), turn-based fighting system and a nice atmosphere. Unfortunately it's very linear, short(~15 hours), locations are small and there are almost no side-quests. Still it's a better rpg than most of the titles coming out these days. Also the price is great.
  66. Jul 28, 2013
    Shadowrun Returns conveys the Cyberpunk’s feel very well. The graphical arts and the musics are spot on. On these aspects Harebrained Schemes delivered. Do not expect a great campaign with a breath-taking scenario though. It is mostly a game editor for the community to work with and provide descent content.

The campaign is short and accordingly the story doesn’t go very deep. It could

The campaign is short and accordingly the story doesn’t go very deep. It could be a side quest in baldur’s gate 2 actually. It is well written however and enjoyable enough.

The biggest issues as it is, in my opinion, are the game mechanics and the characters development. It is fairly limited in term of strategy and the class are totally unbalanced. Pure deckers or even mages are not functionals for example and it will be a walk through the park with a character focused on ranged combat.

If the game mechanics and the characters development can be heavily modified with the editor it could have the potential for great content from the community. Otherwise it will be only a nice story telling tool.
  67. May 8, 2014
    I find it very playable, except that it feels written by someone with an undergraduate in gender studies and a point to prove. A little preachy at times, a lot predictable always, but its heart is in the right place. If the developers had cut a few fewer corners and really tried to make your choices more meaningful, this game would be hugely successful.

Instead, you get what you pay

Instead, you get what you pay for: a pleasant jaunt through a lovingly crafted setting rife with amateur mistakes and superficial placeholders for something that never got around to being great.
  68. Jul 29, 2013
    All you need to know: I was a big fan of the SNES Shadowrun game. I had nothing with the table top game, or with Cyberpunk, but I just love everything about it. Now, about 20 years later, I got the same vibe when I was playing Shadowrun Returns. 'nuff said.

Still, the game itself isn't perfect, and has some small flaws that may or may not be fixed in time. How about a pro/con list?

Pro:
    Graphics. While relatively simple, they fit this game perfectly.
    Combat. I'm not a big fan of turn-based combat, but SR makes it work. No hack 'n' slash action here, you need to use a bit of strategy to win some battles.
    Atmosphere. The game feels just like the SNES version, which was awesome. You are playing in the world of Shadowrun, not just pretending to do so. NPCs have soul and character, unlike in most games.

Cons:
    Linear. The game is EXTREMELY linear, something that just feels a bit outdated in 2013. You are forced to go from one location to the other, with no choice to roam free whatsoever. A shame. This game could have been so great if it was at least somewhat open world.
    Combat. While combat is fun, it can get boring fast. But that's generally so with turned based combat IMO.
    Playtime. The game is short. Before you know it, the game is over. Now I know that this game is just a basic package, and people are encouraged to make their own scenario's, but still. I would have loved it if the main campaign had some extra meat on its bones.
    Save system. The game works with an auto save system, yet it never tells you when it saves. If you suddenly need to quit, chances are you'll lose a lot of progress. Why? Don't know. It's not like a decent save system would wreck the game play.

All in all a solid, yet relatively simple and short, game. One that players of the original SNES Shadowrun will especially enjoy. Can't wait until more campaigns are added!
  69. Aug 4, 2013
    Solid turn-based combat in a game that seems to have payed much attention to detail and world building. Every character you talk to has a good paragraph or two describing them, and you really feel like you're soaking in the atmosphere when you play. I was new to the shadowrun universe and quite enjoyed the unique vernacular of the world, as well, which did even more to suck me in. It'sSolid turn-based combat in a game that seems to have payed much attention to detail and world building. Every character you talk to has a good paragraph or two describing them, and you really feel like you're soaking in the atmosphere when you play. I was new to the shadowrun universe and quite enjoyed the unique vernacular of the world, as well, which did even more to suck me in. It's strange for me to say this, but the highlight of this game really was the conversations for me and not what most people would consider the core gameplay, that being the combat. The environments also look quite nice and suit their setting well, and I was surprised to find I actually liked the 3D character in a 2D world look the game had going for it, which I really didn't expect. There are definitely some problems with this game, though.

There is no save function. Not just no quicksave function. There's no manual save function at all. Everything saves by autosave which doesn't even happen that frequently, so if you're not marathoning this game in a day or two like I did, expect to have to redo small pieces. I don't know who decided that was a good idea for a PC RPG, but they're a real ****

The music can get pretty repetitive when you're in combat and doesn't seem to change a lot, though it works well for atmosphere when out of combat. I also had some small bugs, such as the text tree under a NPC's conversation with me being invisible until I scrolled my mouse over it, but nothing too serious. The story also gets a little silly by the end, but it seems to acknowledge it which kind of makes it hard to criticize. Probably my biggest gripe, though, is how linear the game is. There are a handful (and that's being generous) of sidequests, and besides that all you can do is continue along the path set out for you. That isn't always a bad thing, but with the setting this game lays out, I feel like I'd really enjoy being able to go out and explore the environment a little more.

I'd definitely recommend this game for people who enjoy cyberpunk books or media, or who have previously enjoyed the shadowrun universe. It's a thoroughly enjoyable entry into that unfortunately underutilized genre in games, if you can get over the trifling problems.
  70. Mar 4, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. For a game with so few load-bearing walls, the lack of a more involved leveling system seems almost tired. Too tired, considering. We're talking an isometric-view game that you could run on a computer purchased 10 years ago...from Best Buy. If there's anything that should have been focused on in the game, it should have been the leveling system. However, it looks more like the creators started off nicely with the first 4-5 skills in *some* categories, then simply phoned the rest in with the back end simply having "limits" depending you race choice.

Story. Let's just very briefly discuss how asinine it is to have an RPG where the last boss can only be beaten with a specific weapon. What does one do when they level up only physical or magical attributes, and skimp on gunplay skills? What a horrible oversight.

Next, we have the rave reviews on the amazing environment in the game. I don't see it. I see a highly unpopulated world, where most of the people you meet are located in a bar.
  71. Aug 9, 2013
    The game is pretty short and is relying on user generated material to pad out the length (which I think is lazy of the developers). Game is very old fashion design wise and looks like a game from the late 90's early 2000's. Encountered a couple of minor bugs. I'd recommend waiting until it's on sale before buying it. Waiting will also mean more time for user content to be generatedThe game is pretty short and is relying on user generated material to pad out the length (which I think is lazy of the developers). Game is very old fashion design wise and looks like a game from the late 90's early 2000's. Encountered a couple of minor bugs. I'd recommend waiting until it's on sale before buying it. Waiting will also mean more time for user content to be generated which is what this game seems to be all about. Still in a market where old school RPGs are rare this does hit a certain sentimental spot with me which is why I give it a 6/10 instead of a 5 or lower. Expand
  72. Vel
    Aug 17, 2013
    A great amount of potential for combining storytelling and the feel of the original shadowrun universe, the content simply isn't there yet. You can't spend $20 on the current short storyline, which only takes a few hours to complete and has little to no replay value. Once more content is created and comes out, it has potential to be a great buy, but now it just lacks too much.
  73. Jan 3, 2014
    Shadowrun returns is a good game, in the spirit of old RPG's. Graphics are so pretty and combat is very tactical (is a shame enemies in normal mode are too easy, but that's probably to avoid troll younger players). The story is fluid enough to keep you in the trail. With time, the game is going better and better. I don't complain about the Autosave, that's part of the game and you usuallyShadowrun returns is a good game, in the spirit of old RPG's. Graphics are so pretty and combat is very tactical (is a shame enemies in normal mode are too easy, but that's probably to avoid troll younger players). The story is fluid enough to keep you in the trail. With time, the game is going better and better. I don't complain about the Autosave, that's part of the game and you usually will not die so it is not that bad, but, even when I know a RPG is not a Sandbox, the campaign could give us more choices, I mainly missed a MAP, so you could move through the city. Some interface choices are bad too, like that avoiding you change your equipment until you buy something or reach your locker. In the end, the game is more enjoyable than a lot of big titles out there and it deserves everyone in RPG or Tactical mood gives it a chance. Expand
  74. Jul 24, 2014
    Combat is a bit simpler than I like it, but it's a good successor to the franchise. Very texty, it almost feels like an oldschool RPG experience with lots of text to click through. The story is good, the setting works well and the puzzles are a challenge.
    The fights can be a bit long though, and I wish there were more character customisation. Still, definitely worth a player for any RPG fan who likes slower-paced games.
  75. Dec 18, 2014
    Old school isometric rpg adventure with bags of character a great plot and plenty of modern innovation and enhancements. Looks great, plays great and will have you immersed in this bizarre dystopian future for hours upon hours.
  76. Jul 27, 2013
    I have just completed my first play-through of the "Dead Mans Switch" campaign that is the main campaign of the game.

In terms of value for money this game is definitely worth it, the story is good and the combat engine is like a better, functioning X-com. There's no spoken dialogue but the writing is very high quality and the type of person who enjoys these crpg's will probably enjoy having their imagination fill in the blanks.

The pacing of the game does seem a little off and some of the skills can seem a little overpowered, you'll find yourself becoming very strong very fast even on the higher difficulties. I didn't find I had a problem with the checkpoint system and not having a save system did stop me from save scumming. But I think it should have had a proper save system, some of the levels drag. However -most- of the checkpoints I would say are within 10-20 minutes of one another.

Overall the game engine and editor will prove to be the best things out of this project I feel. The game, while solid doesn't really live up to what could be extracted from such solid mechanics.
  77. Jul 25, 2013
    I am sorry but this game is utter crap. Its like a linear graphic novel with no impact on the story or choice in the dialogue.

The interface is made for tablets and doesn't work well at all with the pc. The combat is way too repetitive and offers little feeling of reward. Barely any customization at all. Certain playstyles are rewarded more than others meaning if you decide to

The interface is made for tablets and doesn't work well at all with the pc.

The combat is way too repetitive and offers little feeling of reward.

Barely any customization at all.

Certain playstyles are rewarded more than others meaning if you decide to play it not the way it was made for you are not going to have much fun.
  78. Jul 29, 2013
    Well, I'm enjoying myself, but I cannot tell if it's out of nostalgia for the SNES game or the actual pnp RPG, or because the game is actually good.

The campaign sure is very linear, the combat feels like a simplified version of X-COM as many have stated before, and the whole gameplay feels slow and even sluggish at times. Yet here is the Shadowun universe perfectly portrayed, an

Yet here is the Shadowun universe perfectly portrayed, an above average storytelling and the combat is just varied enough (and evenly paced) not to be a chore.

All in all, the 20-or-so euros seem a bit steep when one factors in the relative lack of depth (no amount of user-generated content can alter that). But otherwise, it's a nice way to be told a story, and Shadowrun fans should enjoy it for the most part.
  79. Jan 6, 2014
    Shadowrun Returns is a game for "old school" gamers who like old school turn based RPG's :D
    It has an awesome art design, and soundtrack, but most important for this type of games, it has tons of text a good quality dialog.
    Some say it's a short game. Maybe....but i put in 37 hours, and you will find interesting content created by fans with that awesome Editor that comes with game.
    Story is good. It can keep you on some sort of tension until you reach half of the game. After this moment the story begin to be previsible.
    It has no loot, and almost zero exploration. Yep, it's quite linear and story driven game.
    On the other hand the combat system works flawless, and the skills tree it's original and interesting. But because you can control all your party members, you will play with almost all classes available from first playthrough. So....re-playability is not so good.

I recommend this game to those who look for an old school turn-based RPG placed in an original cyberpunk world.
  80. Jul 28, 2013
    It was refreshing to experience a game that focused on the story. Visuals and music are also nice conceptually but the music's repetitiveness gets really annoying along the way. Beyond that, regrettably, there isn't much to Shadowrun Returns to complement its story. Regardless how much more content will be released after now, that won't change the really boring, at its core unchallenging,It was refreshing to experience a game that focused on the story. Visuals and music are also nice conceptually but the music's repetitiveness gets really annoying along the way. Beyond that, regrettably, there isn't much to Shadowrun Returns to complement its story. Regardless how much more content will be released after now, that won't change the really boring, at its core unchallenging, slow-paced gameplay. Open world or linear? Doesn't matter, I wouldn't have explored because it would have taken so long to navigate the characters there, to wait for the slow UI, to wait for the slow animations (spells being even slower), and fighting casual battles, slowly advancing your characters from one cover to the next cover. It feels like they just unpersonally copied the gameplay-design of the newest X-COM-game but obviously failed to clone it because of the lack of more resources.
    It should be a lesson that this indie-game (at least from my perspective) failed right where the designers tried to copy the style of the mainstream-industry: copying X-COM, and trying to adapt Shadowrun Retruns to the "so-succesfull" casual mobile platforms, creating an interface and gameplay that screams "tablet-game"!
  81. Sep 22, 2013
    10/10 that is my valuation. For an independent, Kickstarter-based game, it is a pure gem. The story is really involving, the mood is amazing, and of course the game-mechanics are also well-defined. It could be polished here-and-there, the graphics/animations could be better, some bugs were also present (not game breaking), but overall in its category this game is simply outstanding. I10/10 that is my valuation. For an independent, Kickstarter-based game, it is a pure gem. The story is really involving, the mood is amazing, and of course the game-mechanics are also well-defined. It could be polished here-and-there, the graphics/animations could be better, some bugs were also present (not game breaking), but overall in its category this game is simply outstanding. I recommend it to everybody, who loves cyberpunk, RPGs, turn-based strategy... Thank you, Harebrained Schemes (and Jordan Weisman) for creating this thrilling world+journey for me to escape everydays for a few days and nights:))) Expand
  82. Jul 29, 2013
    Personally I likes the game a lot. The game improved a lot, but due to the budget restrictions it did not became a 10! There should be a lot of features included, that it would be excellent. Look at the differences
    I will sum some of the differences between SNES version and Shadow run Return.
    Snes: Battle is button mashing. New: A lot of choice like fire gun, robot, use items like
    I will sum some of the differences between SNES version and Shadow run Return.

Snes: Battle is button mashing.
    New: A lot of choice like fire gun, robot, use items like heal or grenades, use spells. hide

World Snes: Can move around more freely and revisited places.
    New: game world cannot be revisited after entering a new quest area. Places can be revisted depending on how the game is build up. But that can be changed with the game editor I guess.

Loot Snes: Can loot dead people
    New: Bodies go away.

Earn Karma snes and New: the same. Just do certain things to earn it.

Character customization New: much more options like Decker software which are your spells in the digital world. Personal stats improve the ability of drone or enable you to use certain hardware

snes version: No editor
    New: game editor!

Snes: NPC's move around
    New: most NPC stand around and just talk.

New saving: It's mainly done after you goto a new area. No option to save in between.

End verdict: 8, I enjoyed the Snes version a lot. And I enjoy the new one even more, but would like to see small improvements by adding new features into the game, thaen it would be awesome!
  83. Oct 10, 2013
    Amazing game. I didn't play the original game (in fact I didn't even know anything about it 'till I played this one). The first few seconds I was skeptical about me really getting to play the game 'cause of the very retro artstyle and high emphasis on reading and reading and reading more texts...

But then I just decided to give it a chance... and boy am I glad I did. This game has the

But then I just decided to give it a chance... and boy am I glad I did.
    This game has the soul that games like FF7 had. It has a lot of charisma in it and how the universe, the story, the soundtrack (AMAZING) and the design become one and sucks you right in all the way to the end make this game outstanding.

It's not perfect tho, you seem to be able to make a lot of decisions but it's all a lie, almost nothing you choose to do actually change anything in the game.
    And at some point I got a bug that froze the mission and got me stuck to the point I had to load an earlier save, like some script wouldn't happen or something... and that's a bad thing.

Other than that, it's one of those ''special games'', I really liked it.
  84. Jul 26, 2013
    This is a decent adventure with a fairly well spun story. I love the hand drawn backdrops and they convey a pretty good atmosphere. I also love the music!

but there are a few major issues with my gaming experience; 1) it's one of the most linear games ever and really just catapults you from one event to the other, without any freedom. You also do not, at any time, feel that your

but there are a few major issues with my gaming experience;

1) it's one of the most linear games ever and really just catapults you from one event to the other, without any freedom. You also do not, at any time, feel that your choices have any real impact on the game world. This is more of an adventure game setup then a RPG setup as such.
    2) The character development is really basic and does not apply to your followers. as such, there's no real RPG element here
    3) The UI was clearly designed with tablets in mind and it's a double facepalm for PC users. You have to click on *everything*, which is annoying and slow
    4) Too little inventory slots, no loot.
    5) The save game issue

So, my conclusion has to be that in the current state this is not an RPG. This is a very linear tablet adventure and as such I can only call it "mediocre".

HOWEVER, I do have hope for this game yet as including the editor is a stroke of brilliance and modders will hopefully be able to deliver new campaigns which improve the gaming experience, but I fear the engine has too many limitations to ever become an EPIC experience.

Sad puppy out.
  85. Jul 30, 2013
    I am really enjoying my time with Shadowrun Returns and what's even better about that situation is that there is a strong community following for this, as evidenced by the crowdfunded source of the funding and community forums that have popped up all over the place. This is great because it means that people will be making campaigns and stuff based on the all the stories they have beenI am really enjoying my time with Shadowrun Returns and what's even better about that situation is that there is a strong community following for this, as evidenced by the crowdfunded source of the funding and community forums that have popped up all over the place. This is great because it means that people will be making campaigns and stuff based on the all the stories they have been waiting to tell and have previously told through the table-top gaming.

People are marking this game down because of, to be blunt, stupid personal preferences. Like the save system.. I'm sorry but if you can't spend more than 10 minutes at a time to play the game, go home. That's the approximate time between mission areas that is required to get to another auto-save.

The other major thing I am seeing people saying is the interface... there's seriously nothing wrong with the interface for a TURN BASED COMBAT game.. this is Magicka, this is not League of Legends.. you DO NOT need hotkeys.. sure they would be more convenient.. but it has not detracted from the experience for me AT ALL by not having them. "Made for touchscreen"?? Go home.

As for the story and the "walls of text".. really? C'mon, what did you expect? Grade-A voice acting of EVERY line in the game?? The story is fitting and while a little bit too predictable at times, it is still an enjoyable story nevertheless.

This is not a perfect game but it does live up to my expectations that I had for it. It could be better... but so could so many others. A strong 7 out of 10 for this one, bordering on an 8.
  86. Jul 31, 2013
    Games like this make me wonder what criteria professional reviewers grade on. This may be the most linear RPG I have ever played. There is absolutely no chance to wander around and experience the Shadowrun world in any way. The gameplay sticks you in a claustrophobic section of town, and you are never for a second in doubt of what to do next, because you have no say in the matter. AnyGames like this make me wonder what criteria professional reviewers grade on. This may be the most linear RPG I have ever played. There is absolutely no chance to wander around and experience the Shadowrun world in any way. The gameplay sticks you in a claustrophobic section of town, and you are never for a second in doubt of what to do next, because you have no say in the matter. Any choices you have as a player are irrelevant, the classes are just different glosses on two basic concepts, and for all of this at the end, all you get is some chitchat style dialogue and a page of text to read. I'm not interested in waiting around for the community to turn this game into something better, there's just not enough to work with. Uninstalling. Expand
  87. Jul 28, 2013
    While this game feels dated, and most likely should have been brought out on the iPad, I am having fun with it. I also understand that the game is a lot more than the single campaign provided with the release, hundreds of campaigns will be available once the public designers start writing. I look forward to the future of this game, much more than the release.
  88. Aug 15, 2013
    I enjoyed the p&p game many years ago. This looked like it might be an interesting revisit so I took a gamble buying it. I was a little disappointed. The graphics and effects are pretty mundane, the tactical system fairly awkward and controls prosaic (not as good as Xcom for example) the camera limited to a single isometric view, the tailoring of your character extremely limited, theI enjoyed the p&p game many years ago. This looked like it might be an interesting revisit so I took a gamble buying it. I was a little disappointed. The graphics and effects are pretty mundane, the tactical system fairly awkward and controls prosaic (not as good as Xcom for example) the camera limited to a single isometric view, the tailoring of your character extremely limited, the environment, okay, but with very limited space you can access. The game also lacks the multi-player capacity you might expect, so is essentially a platform for individuals to play solo through DLC/user generated Shadowruns.

It's perhaps most like Neverwinter Nights 1, yet lacks that old classics depth or variety. Saying that it might well improve as user content develops (which was what made NWN1 so special). I appreciate it is an indie title and a labour of love, yet I feel slightly ripped off for my £14. It would have felt fairer to pay between £5 to £8. On the plus side, I think it should run okay on low spec computer and so allow many fans who aren't necessarily computer fans to take part.

May dip into playing it once in a while...
  89. Dec 2, 2013
    cool story, no gameplay.
    cool story, no gameplay.
    I loved NWN series and played them just to see where the story went, because it had proper d&d mechanics it was alright gameplay wise, but I was not able to suffer through this. I do not have anything against turn based combat games but the execution in this is just bad. The fact that you cannot save anytime you want makes it worse, it is like having to read a couple of the pages you already read in a book.

Speaking of books, go read a book instead of this. Rating it 5 for the intriguing story, which always constitutes half of my rating.
  90. Oct 3, 2013
    A quite good game that has for sure the soul of the Shadowrun franchise. However, it is too repetitive to be fun for a long time, you don´t feel the impact your actions have on the sinister world, and there is literally no storytelling. In the end, I was entertained but disappointed.
  91. Aug 5, 2013
    I want to like this game, I do. But this game doesn't want to like me. It insists on making me read pages and pages of unskippable, unnecessary dialogue (written by some Hideo Kojima protege), only letting me actually play the game for a few minutes at a time. I usually play a game because I want to PLAY a game, not read a book, 3 sentences at a time, on a 5th grade reading level. TheI want to like this game, I do. But this game doesn't want to like me. It insists on making me read pages and pages of unskippable, unnecessary dialogue (written by some Hideo Kojima protege), only letting me actually play the game for a few minutes at a time. I usually play a game because I want to PLAY a game, not read a book, 3 sentences at a time, on a 5th grade reading level. The whole time I was "playing" this, I kept thinking about how Fallout 2 did this whole thing so much better, and did it so very, very long ago. And Fallout 2 at least had some spoken dialogue, too, and that was practically a DOS game! I get the impression that this thing is more of a nice portfolio padder for Weisman than a game meant for public consumption. Get the game if you love the shadowrun universe. Skip the game if you like games. Expand
  92. Jul 25, 2013
    This game is wonderful for anyone who appreciates a good story in a game: fans of the old classic Fallout games will love this. I've been playing all night and its 6:30am now and I can't wait to get back in to the game. The story is incredibly interesting and the characters are very well designed. there is a mix of humor and suspense, the visuals are awesome and the music is top notch.This game is wonderful for anyone who appreciates a good story in a game: fans of the old classic Fallout games will love this. I've been playing all night and its 6:30am now and I can't wait to get back in to the game. The story is incredibly interesting and the characters are very well designed. there is a mix of humor and suspense, the visuals are awesome and the music is top notch. The devs set out to make a game about what shadowrun is about: immersion and story. if your version of a good game is action and ironsights move elsewhere: this is a thinking mans game.

the reason it gets a 9 and not a 10 is it has a few flaws: the equipment/magic screen is terrible: you need to visit a shop to equip and unequip weapons and spells. This is especially jarring for spellcasters like shamans. Shamans are supposed to learn their spells from their mentor spirits, not from the quick-e-mart!
  93. Jul 28, 2013
    the game is very good but ok maybe it could have been much bigger and all that but still a very good game, i would wish we would get a skyrim like game with cyperpunk/sci-fi theme.
    im happy its more story driven, because mostly when i play skyrim and gta or open world games i just play the quest except maybe just in the beginning, but i used to run around doing nothing in GTA when i was younger. and the loss of voices doesn bother me much i usually click through them when i finish reading the subtitles because im much faster then the voice actor reading them, but its still good to hear their voices. and now im just looking forward to more storys and stuff from mods and it would be nice if the devs would put quicksave in the game, i don't understand that isn't in every game today, i have kid and its good to be able to quicksave if you have to stop playing for some time instead of having the game on while you leave. but other then that a very good game and if its so bad why don't you just make a better one.
  94. Jul 26, 2013
    This game is amazing, its a great start to what will be absolutely incredible game a few months from now, for a start its awesome a hard 9 a few months to a year from now it will be a solid 13 out of 10
  95. Jul 26, 2013
    That's all?!?

As a kickstarter backer I'm just appalled at how skimpy this offering turned out. I downloaded it and played it through, completing every optional objective and sidemission (of which there were like 2!) in 10 hours. This is a point-and-click adventure game with meaningless dialogue (Nothing you say alters any outcome, with a couple minor exceptions) supported by a
    That's all?!?

This is a point-and-click adventure game with meaningless dialogue (Nothing you say alters any outcome, with a couple minor exceptions) supported by a combat mini-game and a laughable inventory system. Completely on-rails story, forget about a sandbox, there isn't even a quest-hub system in place, or world map or... anything.

People who enjoy modding games who also still play pen-and-paper Shadowrrun might wind up enjoying this game when the "community" gets around to actually creating content for it, but no one else is going to find their money well-spent upon purchasing this title. Caveat emptor.
  96. Aug 10, 2013
    A solid, old-school tactical RPG that stays true to its source material and remains fun to play on followup character builds. SRR is very obviously a work in progress, with the scope hopefully widening considerably in the upcoming Berlin expansion. The editor is going to be its ace-in-the-hole, with user content building an effectively infinite number of 'runs for players to explore.A solid, old-school tactical RPG that stays true to its source material and remains fun to play on followup character builds. SRR is very obviously a work in progress, with the scope hopefully widening considerably in the upcoming Berlin expansion. The editor is going to be its ace-in-the-hole, with user content building an effectively infinite number of 'runs for players to explore. This'll be a good one.
    Oh, and to offer a counterpoint I actually appreciated the lack of an on-demand save feature. It required a little thought and care not to get killed. And your biggest setback was maybe 20 minutes of play, if that.
  97. Jul 14, 2014
    Very solid RPG experience.
    About 15 hours playtime on the main campaign is enough content for a low budget title.
    The storyline is well presented with dialogue fitting to the world of Shadowrun. In addition you have access to the steam workshop with a lot of user generated content. Mechanics wise there is a problem with the hitting percentage which can be frustrating at times. 75%
    Very solid RPG experience.

75% hitchance often feels like its 40% at best.

Overall it is a fun experience, even for people who normally dont finish RPGs due to their length.
  98. Jul 26, 2013
    While I support the developers for returning to the isometric turn based RPGs, I'm very disappointed with the result. The game is 100% linear. Your choices don't matter. You have to replay the same scene (up to 30 minutes) after you had to close the game due to RL distractions or simply not feeling like continue playing at the moment. I'm going to wait a couple of months for at least theWhile I support the developers for returning to the isometric turn based RPGs, I'm very disappointed with the result. The game is 100% linear. Your choices don't matter. You have to replay the same scene (up to 30 minutes) after you had to close the game due to RL distractions or simply not feeling like continue playing at the moment. I'm going to wait a couple of months for at least the save anywhere functionality. For now I will just uninstall it. Expand
  99. Aug 8, 2013
    Amazing game, really well designed great dialogues, music, and best of all combat system Xcom style. And infinite number of missions thanks to the user generated content. I like it more than fallout or skyrim I can't really put it down
  100. Jul 27, 2013
    Well I've been waiting for awhile to play this game. I love the pen and paper Shadowrun and by proxy thought I'd love the video game as well. Well love is a strong word. I guess you'd say I like Shadowrun Returns, but certainly there is no love. I wish I could love the game, but the fact is there are just too many things that turn me off about it, the chief among them being the fact youWell I've been waiting for awhile to play this game. I love the pen and paper Shadowrun and by proxy thought I'd love the video game as well. Well love is a strong word. I guess you'd say I like Shadowrun Returns, but certainly there is no love. I wish I could love the game, but the fact is there are just too many things that turn me off about it, the chief among them being the fact you can only save at the beginning of a mission. Now that doesn't seem too annoying until you realize that a mission usually takes at least 15 to 20 minutes to complete, and some can take upwards of an hour. With that in mind, you die, you have to restart from the beginning of the scene. This can get really frustrating, really fast. Yes it's an old school method, a return to our roots, so to speak, but certain roots were dug up because the only thing that grew from them were trees rife with frustration.

Second is the class system. Now the problem here is that it is far too simplistic, harboring only a mere shell of the actual pen and paper game. The mechanics are fine for a hack and slash game that will only be played once and then put back up on the shelf until the prequel or sequel comes out, but that's not what most of are buying this game for. No, this was supposed to be our chance to have persistent characters that you could use over the course of multiple campaigns. I guess you could do that, but the fact is, there are so few items and so few abilities, you have to wonder what's the point?

Why would a game so full of possibilities limit itself to the extent that Shadowrun Returns has? The fact is most classes only have a handful of abilities that scale with your level. New abilities are few and far between. In the end you wont be seeing many new skills, but instead you'll be playing the same character, just with more hit points, doing more damage, repeating the same skills over and over and over and over... well you get the point.

Okay, so that's all my complaints. In the end I gave the game a six, because there are some good things to mention as well. First, unless you purchased your computer in the Ice Age, chances are it'll run this game. That doesn't sound too important until you remember all the games that require you to have a state of art system just to meet the recommended requirements. Second the graphics are sharp and I mean sharp. The details are nice. Third the user interface is well done, nothing new, but certainly easy to understand and get used too.

Now would I recommend this to other gamers? Certainly. Would I pre-purchase it if I knew how frustrated playing it would make me? Maybe. Is it worth $19.99, hell yeah. Is it comparable to Neverwinter Nights, Freedom Force, and other top down RPGs that have come along? Well yes, but it certainly falls behind those games. As I said, nothing new, nothing really amazing, but it's certainly worth it if you want to have some fun over the weekend. (It took me less than 16 hours to complete the campaign that comes with the game, just in case you're wondering.) My final evaluation, okay game, okay concept, but nothing amazing to write to your friends about.

1. Pelit (Finland)
    Oct 5, 2013
    Shadowrun Returns is a bit more simplistic than I had hoped for, but at the same time it is not bad at all. [Sept 2013]
  2. Sep 13, 2013
    Shadowrun Returns is a faithful reinterpretation (and in a vague sense, sequel) to the SNES game from 20 years ago, maybe a bit too faithful. Though most aspects of the the wild and unruly Shadowrun world is included, the promise of this game lies more in the open embrace of the mod community than the included adventure.
  3. Sep 10, 2013
    Shadowrun Returns will probably please most fans if perhaps not blow anyone out of the water. The campaign is well written and serves as a good introduction for new players. The variety in combat and character creation and dialogue options is great but suffers from a badly implemented autosave system. With lots of new campaigns on the horizon Shadowrun Returns is well worth keeping an eye on.