Shadowrun Returns PC

7.4

1. Jul 26, 2013
    The game is great if our materialistic "me" society hasn't damaged you. It's linear. It doesn't have great graphics. It uses a checkpoint system. Somebody mentioned losing 30 minutes due to the checkpoint system. i call BS on that. If it takes you 30 minutes to redo something you just completed you are doing it on purpose. 10 minutes, tops.

There is a tool set. I was under the

There is a tool set. I was under the impression from the get go that the campaign was going to be a teaser and the real game would involve user generated content. Thus it was delivered.

I don't care for the lack of options in the options menu, I would have liked to see some key bindings. It sits at a 7.7 and I think it's deserving of that. If you don't like retro style games, turn based combat, linear story lines then I wouldn't suggest this game. I'm 30 years old, this game really brings me back and I'm loving it. If you happen to have played the snes Shadowrun title and you enjoyed that you'll definitely enjoy this as well.
  2. Jul 26, 2013
    Pros: The setting. The noir-ish writing. Multiple solutions to many of the encounters. The combat is quite fun, if a bit simple. The potential of user-generated content.
    Cons: The save system checkpoints are hard to accept in a PC RPG. The RPG systems seem a bit lite.
    Conclusion: For the price, Shadowrun Returns is a great value.
  3. Jul 25, 2013
    As a Shadowrun player I had a lot of high hopes going into this game. But they do deliver. One thing lacking is multiplayer, which hopefully will come soon enough. The graphic design isn't the top of its class but more than expected. The simple, yet advanced gameplay mixed with an in depth story line keeps you on point. Difficulty isn't to complex but does grow with the character.As a Shadowrun player I had a lot of high hopes going into this game. But they do deliver. One thing lacking is multiplayer, which hopefully will come soon enough. The graphic design isn't the top of its class but more than expected. The simple, yet advanced gameplay mixed with an in depth story line keeps you on point. Difficulty isn't to complex but does grow with the character. If you've never played an actual game of Shadowrun you may be disappointed. If you have, well this might be the game for you. Expand
  4. Jul 25, 2013
    Great retro style pc game. Very good tactical combat, classic shadow run style leveling system. What i dislike the the lack of a save feature, you have to rely on auto saves at checkpoints, and i find that annoying.

Otherwise its a great game.
  5. Jul 25, 2013
    This game is wonderful for anyone who appreciates a good story in a game: fans of the old classic Fallout games will love this. I've been playing all night and its 6:30am now and I can't wait to get back in to the game. The story is incredibly interesting and the characters are very well designed. there is a mix of humor and suspense, the visuals are awesome and the music is top notch.This game is wonderful for anyone who appreciates a good story in a game: fans of the old classic Fallout games will love this. I've been playing all night and its 6:30am now and I can't wait to get back in to the game. The story is incredibly interesting and the characters are very well designed. there is a mix of humor and suspense, the visuals are awesome and the music is top notch. The devs set out to make a game about what shadowrun is about: immersion and story. if your version of a good game is action and ironsights move elsewhere: this is a thinking mans game.

the reason it gets a 9 and not a 10 is it has a few flaws: the equipment/magic screen is terrible: you need to visit a shop to equip and unequip weapons and spells. This is especially jarring for spellcasters like shamans. Shamans are supposed to learn their spells from their mentor spirits, not from the quick-e-mart!
  6. Jul 25, 2013
    I have a real soft spot for turn based RPG games. The addition of the XCOM style cover system and the dark art theme brought this game to a level I didn't expect. II look forward to the community content and I hope this game has a very long life.

*** I wish people wouldn't tank game scores by giving games a zero. Do you really see the game as a zero? Did you dislike it that much?
  7. Jul 25, 2013
    Shadowrun Returns is everything we were promised and more. Can't wait for the Berlin expansion and more campaigns to come. As the guy who made Shadowrun Identity: Life on a Limb, I encourage you all to play user-generated content (UGC), submit bug reports on shadowrun.com and join our team of dedicated GMs at shadowrunidentity.org to help create a 100+ hour community campaign. Peace, chummers!
  8. Jul 25, 2013
    I'm really enjoying this game. It seems like a lot of people are eager to judge it based on expectations for a baldur's gate like game, a skyrim like game, or other things that just seem completely off.

To me, it feels closer in combat to xcom or fallout. I was worried it was too complex to get into but have already started digging it I meant to start out making a samuri decker, but just through the skill system ended up making a pistol toting shaman and have loved finding spirits to summon in my surroundings. It's rare that a game gets me out of my intentions and it feels like the system itself is shaping my experience. I like the sound a lot, I like the character's quips, and I'm brought back to fond memories of the SNES game. Anyway, check it out for yourself.
  9. Jul 25, 2013
    This game delivered exactly what it advertised it would. A spiritual successor to the SNES game, and it stays true to the pnp lore and a bit of the gameplay. Nice customization, and a fair story for $20. Add on the ability to create content, and this is one hell of a deal.
  10. Jul 25, 2013
    An amazing game living up to the Shadowrun name. If you weren't a fan of the series before you should be now. Beautiful artwork and great tactical strategy elements mixed with true Shadowrun RPG style. Also the ability to create your own complete runs adds INFINITE possibilities.

This game has SERIOUS superior re-playability
  11. Jul 25, 2013
    An absolute triumph of great design and overwhelming developer passion, Shadowrun Returns is at long last a worthy successor to it's predecessors on the SNES and Genesis/Megadrive, and a proud representation of the classic tabletop game.

Graphically, the game is luscious and stays utterly true to it's source material. Most impressive is the diversity of the classes in terms of gameplay. The matrix hacking element of the game flows naturally into the game, offering a spin on the gameplay which is a welcome distraction. Magic has been overhauled; no longer is playing a Shaman a chore.

The turn based system just works perfectly. Comparisons to X-Com are bound to occur, and they are justified to an extent, but it isn't a carbon copy of the system as it adds very definite Shadowrun only elements to it.

Another definitive Shadowrun feature is the Karma system of development. For this game, the Karma system lends itself to the RPG aspects of the title, forcing you to do good deeds to gain rewards. Whilst on paper this seems like a forced method of levelling, in practice it does well as it prevents the all-out turn based grind towards completion and compels you to explore the detailed world, held together by a spellbinding steampunk inspired soundtrack.

The core game is a bit on the easy side, and it is short (the £15 shelf tag highlights this lack of depth, but it's the perfect price point). That said, it isn't difficult to see how much this game is going to be built upon by a rabid fan base who have been baying for this game since the 90s. Six months from now, this game could easily have another 100+ hours of gameplay built on it by modders and the joyous thing is that the diversity and enjoyment of the game means that those 100 hours will be well spent indeed.

Shadowrunners everywhere, eradicate all memories of that woeful FPS offering that broke our hearts several years ago, get out your credsticks and buy this game because finally we've got the game we've been waiting for.
  12. Jul 25, 2013
    Shadowrun Returns is a great throwback to isometric RPGs like Fallout and Baldur's Gate. The released module's storyline is interesting, and offers a fair amount of replayability through different class/skill loadouts or dialogue choices. Combat is engaging, and plays similar to the recently released XCOM: Enemy Unknown, which in my book isn't a bad thing. Many of the systems in ReturnsShadowrun Returns is a great throwback to isometric RPGs like Fallout and Baldur's Gate. The released module's storyline is interesting, and offers a fair amount of replayability through different class/skill loadouts or dialogue choices. Combat is engaging, and plays similar to the recently released XCOM: Enemy Unknown, which in my book isn't a bad thing. Many of the systems in Returns are also very similar to pen and paper Shadowrun. A couple valid complaints that can be leveled at SR are that it has a checkpoint save system, and it is a bit combat centric, though the latter can easily be avoided in future modules. Anyway, what's been released so far is well worth the $20 admission fee, and the user-made content being generated guarantees SR a place on my hard drive for a long time to come. Expand
  13. Jul 25, 2013
    One of the most satisfying gaming experiences I've had in a long time. Shadowrun Returns is what it is, unabashedly a throw back jam to the good ole' days. It's locations and characters are so enthralling, however, that I found myself getting giddy at the mere thought of expandable content down the road. THis first installment seemed to be a crash course in Shadowrun, and I feel likeOne of the most satisfying gaming experiences I've had in a long time. Shadowrun Returns is what it is, unabashedly a throw back jam to the good ole' days. It's locations and characters are so enthralling, however, that I found myself getting giddy at the mere thought of expandable content down the road. THis first installment seemed to be a crash course in Shadowrun, and I feel like theres much more to come Expand
  14. Jul 25, 2013
    It will take you back to the 80's when games made you think. Yes you read ALOT and the story is heavy if you decide to take in all the information given. The atmosphere is simply amazing. With simple stylized graphics that would make any cyberpunk fan happy. It is Bladerunner and Dungeons & Dragons rolled into one sexy low priced package. If you played the Super Nintendo Shadowrun youIt will take you back to the 80's when games made you think. Yes you read ALOT and the story is heavy if you decide to take in all the information given. The atmosphere is simply amazing. With simple stylized graphics that would make any cyberpunk fan happy. It is Bladerunner and Dungeons & Dragons rolled into one sexy low priced package. If you played the Super Nintendo Shadowrun you will be very happy. This game is not for everyone but if you want something different then this is for you. I really wish more games were made like this, its very very rare to see a gem like this. With user generated content and campaigns, the replay value is limitless. Expand
  15. Jul 25, 2013
    i really liked the old snes shadowrun,ive read some books and i m glad that they made shadowrun Returns.
    it s a unique Setting and fun to Play but you will have to read allot and the save system is not for everyone.
    i love this game so far we will see if Players will Keep the game alive with new content.
  16. Jul 25, 2013
    Shadowrun Returns is exactly what it is meant the be: The ultimate cyberpunk RPG maker tool kit. This is less a game and more a 20 dollar version of RPG Maker that is geared to make Shadowrun games. Considering that RPG Maker VX Ace is a 50 dollar program and you have to do all the programming, this toolkit is amazing. It's also integrated seamlessly into the steam workshop and there isShadowrun Returns is exactly what it is meant the be: The ultimate cyberpunk RPG maker tool kit. This is less a game and more a 20 dollar version of RPG Maker that is geared to make Shadowrun games. Considering that RPG Maker VX Ace is a 50 dollar program and you have to do all the programming, this toolkit is amazing. It's also integrated seamlessly into the steam workshop and there is already a community driven effort to recreate all the classic modules via the editor. BEST THING EVER! Expand
  17. Jul 25, 2013
    Finally, a real quality old school RPG.

Crazy good story, Very fun and addictive gameplay, Character customization is awesome and easy. The game offer a good overall quality. This game prove something, Gameplay and story matter more than Special effect and eye candies. I hope to see more of that kind of game. I'm waiting for wastelands 2 and planescape, I hope they will be as
    Finally, a real quality old school RPG.

The game offer a good overall quality.

I hope to see more of that kind of game. I'm waiting for wastelands 2 and planescape, I hope they will be as good at this one.

Finally, if you like games like the old Fallout series. This game is a must to buy.
  18. Aug 5, 2013
    I'm really enjoying this game even though others complain that the game is too linear. I love games with a great story line and for me, it's doing just that. It's pulling me in with a very "who-done-it" murder mystery and allowing me to fill in the blanks with multiple conversation choices. The side quests are great too, which add little tidbits to the current quest you're trying toI'm really enjoying this game even though others complain that the game is too linear. I love games with a great story line and for me, it's doing just that. It's pulling me in with a very "who-done-it" murder mystery and allowing me to fill in the blanks with multiple conversation choices. The side quests are great too, which add little tidbits to the current quest you're trying to complete.

Some of the things I love about this game, right off the bat, creating my character. Spending karma points seemed a bit daunting at first but then loved the way they built the skill tree like structure. Once I took a minute to study how it worked, it made so much sense and seemed natural. You want better melee skills, well you better be strong first. The other item I enjoyed is the art style used to create the game. The like camera angle and point-click was a great way to interact with the game. What I also like about the game is that anyone can make their own Shadowrun and present it to the world as user created content to get even more use out of the game.

The only two negative things for me so far are is that it's linear (but this is only a small complaint in my book) and the lack of save feature. The only way to save is via the auto-save at the start of each level. I must have had to restart the 3rd chapter 3-4 times before I finally had enough time to get past a stuck point and move on with the story line.

All in all, I gave the game a 9/10 due to the lack of saving any time or a better auto-save feature. It's still a great game regardless of this point and anyone that loves a RPG/Strategy game will be sure to love this, especially with the fantasy/sci-fi blend it presents.
  19. Aug 4, 2013
    Solid turn-based combat in a game that seems to have payed much attention to detail and world building. Every character you talk to has a good paragraph or two describing them, and you really feel like you're soaking in the atmosphere when you play. I was new to the shadowrun universe and quite enjoyed the unique vernacular of the world, as well, which did even more to suck me in. It'sSolid turn-based combat in a game that seems to have payed much attention to detail and world building. Every character you talk to has a good paragraph or two describing them, and you really feel like you're soaking in the atmosphere when you play. I was new to the shadowrun universe and quite enjoyed the unique vernacular of the world, as well, which did even more to suck me in. It's strange for me to say this, but the highlight of this game really was the conversations for me and not what most people would consider the core gameplay, that being the combat. The environments also look quite nice and suit their setting well, and I was surprised to find I actually liked the 3D character in a 2D world look the game had going for it, which I really didn't expect. There are definitely some problems with this game, though.

There is no save function. Not just no quicksave function. There's no manual save function at all. Everything saves by autosave which doesn't even happen that frequently, so if you're not marathoning this game in a day or two like I did, expect to have to redo small pieces. I don't know who decided that was a good idea for a PC RPG, but they're a real ****

The music can get pretty repetitive when you're in combat and doesn't seem to change a lot, though it works well for atmosphere when out of combat. I also had some small bugs, such as the text tree under a NPC's conversation with me being invisible until I scrolled my mouse over it, but nothing too serious. The story also gets a little silly by the end, but it seems to acknowledge it which kind of makes it hard to criticize. Probably my biggest gripe, though, is how linear the game is. There are a handful (and that's being generous) of sidequests, and besides that all you can do is continue along the path set out for you. That isn't always a bad thing, but with the setting this game lays out, I feel like I'd really enjoy being able to go out and explore the environment a little more.

I'd definitely recommend this game for people who enjoy cyberpunk books or media, or who have previously enjoyed the shadowrun universe. It's a thoroughly enjoyable entry into that unfortunately underutilized genre in games, if you can get over the trifling problems.
  20. Aug 5, 2013
    A wonderful game all around. Captures the feel of the game and several old video games. I've played through the game and the interface is very clean. I'm glad that the crowd source worked for them.
  21. Mar 21, 2014
    Would have given the game a 10 except for the very short length of the main story. Regardless, it was a lot of fun to play through and I've done so more than 4 times with different characters.
  22. Apr 25, 2014
    I've always loved the Shadowrun universe since playing it on pen and paper back in the day. This game stays true. Well designed and written. I'm a big fan of the series.
  23. Jan 3, 2014
    Shadowrun returns is a good game, in the spirit of old RPG's. Graphics are so pretty and combat is very tactical (is a shame enemies in normal mode are too easy, but that's probably to avoid troll younger players). The story is fluid enough to keep you in the trail. With time, the game is going better and better. I don't complain about the Autosave, that's part of the game and you usuallyShadowrun returns is a good game, in the spirit of old RPG's. Graphics are so pretty and combat is very tactical (is a shame enemies in normal mode are too easy, but that's probably to avoid troll younger players). The story is fluid enough to keep you in the trail. With time, the game is going better and better. I don't complain about the Autosave, that's part of the game and you usually will not die so it is not that bad, but, even when I know a RPG is not a Sandbox, the campaign could give us more choices, I mainly missed a MAP, so you could move through the city. Some interface choices are bad too, like that avoiding you change your equipment until you buy something or reach your locker. In the end, the game is more enjoyable than a lot of big titles out there and it deserves everyone in RPG or Tactical mood gives it a chance. Expand
  24. Oct 10, 2013
    Amazing game. I didn't play the original game (in fact I didn't even know anything about it 'till I played this one). The first few seconds I was skeptical about me really getting to play the game 'cause of the very retro artstyle and high emphasis on reading and reading and reading more texts...

But then I just decided to give it a chance... and boy am I glad I did. This game has the

But then I just decided to give it a chance... and boy am I glad I did.
    This game has the soul that games like FF7 had. It has a lot of charisma in it and how the universe, the story, the soundtrack (AMAZING) and the design become one and sucks you right in all the way to the end make this game outstanding.

It's not perfect tho, you seem to be able to make a lot of decisions but it's all a lie, almost nothing you choose to do actually change anything in the game.
    And at some point I got a bug that froze the mission and got me stuck to the point I had to load an earlier save, like some script wouldn't happen or something... and that's a bad thing.

Other than that, it's one of those ''special games'', I really liked it.
  25. Aug 2, 2013
    The main Shadowrun campaign has taken a lot of hostility for not being open world enough or as endlessly branching as other traditional tactical RGPs, however this is, perhaps, missing the point. The campaign serves as an introduction to the mechanics and the core concepts of the world whilst keeping to a small, tightly woven narrative and for the most part, it achieves this, despiteThe main Shadowrun campaign has taken a lot of hostility for not being open world enough or as endlessly branching as other traditional tactical RGPs, however this is, perhaps, missing the point. The campaign serves as an introduction to the mechanics and the core concepts of the world whilst keeping to a small, tightly woven narrative and for the most part, it achieves this, despite resorting to leading players by the nose.
    Playing through the first hour and beyond, it feels as if harebrained schemes had the intention of creating a vast open world and aborted their effort early on in order to focus on the story editor.
    This means that while the main campaign doesn't fully explore its multitude of good ideas (ie; making creative use of the matrix/ exploring the many cultures, groups and factions), the editor seems versatile enough to allow to players to do that themselves.
    Having toyed around with the editor, I see no reason why open world, branching stories won't become available in the near future.
    Conversation branches are reasonably easy to create, as are convincing hand drawn locations. Given a little creativity on the community's part, Shadowrun may soon balloon with deep, engaging stories that go beyond the main campaign.
  26. Aug 10, 2013
    A solid, old-school tactical RPG that stays true to its source material and remains fun to play on followup character builds. SRR is very obviously a work in progress, with the scope hopefully widening considerably in the upcoming Berlin expansion. The editor is going to be its ace-in-the-hole, with user content building an effectively infinite number of 'runs for players to explore.A solid, old-school tactical RPG that stays true to its source material and remains fun to play on followup character builds. SRR is very obviously a work in progress, with the scope hopefully widening considerably in the upcoming Berlin expansion. The editor is going to be its ace-in-the-hole, with user content building an effectively infinite number of 'runs for players to explore. This'll be a good one.
    Oh, and to offer a counterpoint I actually appreciated the lack of an on-demand save feature. It required a little thought and care not to get killed. And your biggest setback was maybe 20 minutes of play, if that.
  27. Aug 3, 2013
    What an astonishingly fun game! It's simple, it's unpretentious, and it'll keep you playing...and playing...and playing. It's easily the best turn-based tactical game of the last two years for me.

I came into it knowing that the default adventure, Dead Man's Switch, was only one of countless adventures that were already in the works. Sure, it's a bit linear, but it's pure Shadowrun, and it comes with all the options. You want your own custom character portrait? There's a way to do that. You want a particular piece of cyberware? It's probably there. You like player hideouts? There's one of those.

If you don't end up liking Dead Man's Switch, remember that so many more adventures are in the works, including tons of 2nd Edition adventures already being made for the game, courtesy of a group called Shadowrun Identity.

For such a versatile blast of a game, the price tag isn't bad either.
  28. Aug 7, 2013
    Just finished the game; Overall I enjoyed the experience quite a bit. The main campaign that comes with the game "Dead Man's Switch" runs about 12 or so hours. I truly enjoyed the game's story and tactical combat; however in my opinion only Hard and Very Hard difficulties offer any challenge. So here are some Pros and Cons:

Pros: - Great Storyline - Good atmosphere - Tactical

Pros:
    - Great Storyline
    - Good atmosphere
    - Tactical Combat (on Hard or Very Hard)
    - Pretty Solid Dialog

Cons:
    - No Save Game; only checkpoint save (Modders have already figured out how to change this)
    - Very Linear
    - Lack of dialog consequences; Need to believe that dialog options matter
  29. Aug 7, 2013
    I actually never played any Shadowrun games before this, but it reminded me of many other games I loved and played all the time when growing up. After playing through Deadman's Switch I have to say this game is absolutely fantastic!
    Where do I begin? The art and the detail in each area and character is very nice, the rules are sleek and easy to learn (though at first I was a bit intimidated coming into a ruleset I had no prior experience with). The combat system flows great, it really keeps your interest. The writing is amazing, it feels like I am reading a good novel at times. On top of it all the music is sleek and fitting to the cyberpunk setting.

I do have a few complaints, I did find some bugs, while not game breaking, they were an annoyance for a bit. And while the character development is solid for most of the characters that are a part of the story, I really wish I could interact more with the runners I hire, a one sentence description of the character does not do them justice.

Because of this game I am looking into playing the Pen and Paper Shadowrun as well. Overall I would highly recommend this game to anyone that enjoyed games such as Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights (if you love user made campaigns), or XCOM.
  30. BFP
    Jul 26, 2013
    An amazing game with a few flaws in it.
    - Yes, there is no "save-anywhere" feature, but it doesn't hinder gameplay all that much (except for the obsessive-compulsive among us). Considering most areas of the main campaign are easy to a fault (more on that later), its not that big of a deal.
    - Yes, you have unlimited ammo. However, you still have to reload, which can take up an action. -
    An amazing game with a few flaws in it.
    - Yes, its quite linear to play through, but I suspect this was done to keep the focus upon the story, and things will really open up in a couple of months once the community has played with the level editor.
    - No mode selection; game seems to be stuck on Easy for the most part.
    -- If anything, my two biggest complaints are:
    A) Its too easy for the most part I hardly ever died or needed to push a lot of tactics into what should have been a tactical turn-based RPG;
    B) there's still quite a few glitches and annoying parts here and there (enemy AI spazing out, walking into a room only to accidentally trigger a cutscene and get stuck out in the open, etc).

Now let's look at the good.
    + The art design. Characters are not all that well-detailed, but are distinct enough to easily tell them apart. In contrast, the world is well-detailed in a 2D isometric perspective and almost beautiful in its filthiness.
    + The characters. Although there is no voice acting in this game, all of the main characters have a distinct feel to them how they dress, how they talk, etc. Even the fellow 'Runners you recruit as hired muscle have their own feel. And the humor some bring to the table may not have had me on the ground laughing, but it definitely brought out a chuckle when one was sorely needed.
    + The combat. Its beauty is in its simplicity; every action can be pulled out at a whim, and there are multiple paths that the Player can take. The races don't feel all that different (besides different stat/skill caps and maybe some dialogue), but each of the different classes has their own feel.
    + Distinct classes. Each of the classes has its own play style and feel to them; Mages & Shamans bring down magical destruction upon their foes and support their allies, Street Samurai wield gun and blade in equal measure, Adepts use their life force to smash opponents into submission, Riggers use drones to fight for them, and and Deckers use technology to jack into the matrix, turning machines against their masters.

And with the promise of an avid community willing to mod the living hell out of SRR, things couldn't look brighter. Granted, the game isn't for everyone, and its obvious that Hairbrained Schemes was pressed to release the game on-time, but despite its flaws there is a lot to look forward to you could certainly waste $20 on far WORSE things nowadays.

Bottom line: Its functional, fun, and short the campaign is only about 12 hours long, but its at least going tto be a memorable 12 hours.

1. Pelit (Finland)
    Oct 5, 2013
    Shadowrun Returns is a bit more simplistic than I had hoped for, but at the same time it is not bad at all. [Sept 2013]
  2. Sep 13, 2013
    Shadowrun Returns is a faithful reinterpretation (and in a vague sense, sequel) to the SNES game from 20 years ago, maybe a bit too faithful. Though most aspects of the the wild and unruly Shadowrun world is included, the promise of this game lies more in the open embrace of the mod community than the included adventure.
  3. Sep 10, 2013
    Shadowrun Returns will probably please most fans if perhaps not blow anyone out of the water. The campaign is well written and serves as a good introduction for new players. The variety in combat and character creation and dialogue options is great but suffers from a badly implemented autosave system. With lots of new campaigns on the horizon Shadowrun Returns is well worth keeping an eye on.