7.4

1. Feb 8, 2015
    Turn-based strategy RPG combo is pretty much the greatest thing ever. The setting, writing, and runs are just fabulous. Shadowrun: Dragonfall is even better!
  2. Feb 6, 2015
    v1ctor are you retarded man are you **** dumb in your head go shot the **** out of it
    trolls you say the game is not perfect yet you give it a 10 how is that not trolling you dumb piece of sthinking **** go kill yourself you rotting payed jewdipp**** i know you got bucks to post that **** **** people like you make me sick!
  3. Feb 6, 2015
    Great game that captures the old school spirit of isometric RPGs.
    The setting and the story are excellent. The campaign feels a bit short (or maybe it was so good that it went on really fast).
  4. Jan 24, 2015
    buggy. don't pay for it unless you want to play the same stories over and over again until you can escape the bug somehow.

besides, it's the most linear story I've ever seen. not a good thing for a game that presented as a rpg.
  5. Jan 11, 2015
    How do you rate a game like this? It's not a graphical masterpiece, it's not a technical innovator, it's not the most orriginal story, and the setting is one that is amongst the oddest ever conceived for an RPG. Elves, trolls, dwarves and Orcs, magic, and cyberpunk, in a futuristic blade runner inspired near future setting.

What sounds absurd on paper, in the rights hands becomes a

What sounds absurd on paper, in the rights hands becomes a menagerie of flavors that compliment each other and surprise you with how well they work.

So how do you review a game made by fans of the original setting and SNES video game, using a tablet friendly game engine and less than a blockbuster titles budget?

Well, I can't recommend it to everyone. This is not a game that sells itself. This isn't Fallout, or Skyrim...

This is shadowrun, you either know what Shadowrun is/was (if your like me, it's because you'd stay up till 4 am rolling 6 sided dice trying to keep yourself from being clobbered by a troll street samurai while the elf hacked the matrix trying to steal the data your employer wanted. Or because you played the faithful SNES game back in the 90s that was a cult classic).

IF you are familiar with Shadowrun and were a fan, especially if you liked the SNES game from the 90s, you will almost certainly love this game. You might not rate it as highly, but if you keep your expectations set to INDY Tablet Title, you will be pleasantly surprised.

But what if you are not a fan? How do I begin? Let me just tell you the facts:

The game is a nod to traditional isometric tactical RPG's similar to Fallout 1-2 and tactics, but far less crunchy and complicated. The RPG elements are light, but satisfyingly complex enough so that you can quickly see what stats to increase with Karma, and still need to think about what you really need to boost, and whats a waste.

The turn based tactical combat has clearly been designed to be a faithful rendering of what our imaginations looked like when we played the game with dice, but without the hardcore complexity some people might crave. The combat was clearly designed to be accessible to newcomers to the genre, but still deep enough to allow power players a way to crush encounters with superior tactics and planning.

If you are looking for a complex turn based tactical similar set in shadow run, you will be disappointed. This is meant to be an accessible Tactical RPG adventure crafted by people who are serious fans of the setting. This is ultimately what can make or break the gameplay of this game for some people. As I have read many reviews that suggest the tactical element is not as deep as they hoped... while others, myself included, are happy to see the tactical parts are only as deep as they need to be to convey a challenge but also keep the story moving.

The story is IMHO superb. some might call is cliched, but anyone who knows shadowrun, knows the entire setting is supposed to be a cliche. It's supposed to be Blade runner meets Middle earth, with some native American shamanism and some voodoo thrown in for good measure.

Add to the fact hat this game is aimed at people who know the setting, and you will find if you are a newcomer, that some of the characters are clearly meant to be familiar, but you won't know anything about them, specifically right off in the early game you meet a character who fans of the SNES game will immediately recognize. (not a spoiler, it's in the first 10 minutes). So that means this game isn't just full of cliches, it's a cliche of itself.

The graphics are top notch, and run full blast on even the most basic PC I own, the characters appear to be fully 3d renderings, complete with a basic character editor to choose hair, skin and other details, and clothing that can change your appearance. It would have been nice to include a way to see the clothing before you put it on, but thats a minor point.

The environments are technically created as tiles of some sort, but they tend to look hand drawn as if someone drew the scenes in some art program, the way the elements blend together to create areas and scenes, when coupled with the basic lighting effects really manage to hit the sweet spot for charming artistic graphics.

The music and sound all feel right where they need to be, and while it would have been nice to have some voice acting to save you from having to read a lot... it never bothered me a bit, because the writing is well done, and like a good book, you will probably find yourself unable to put it down once you get going.

Overall, I would say to a fan of the setting and SNES game, this is a MUST play game... to everyone else, I think it would be a fine game for your tablet or if you are looking for something quirky and different and yet fairly accessible.

Keep in mind the developers wisely made a toolset so players can make their own content, and many have already done so. So presumably your adventure doesn't have to end, you can make more!
  6. Dec 18, 2014
    Old school isometric rpg adventure with bags of character a great plot and plenty of modern innovation and enhancements. Looks great, plays great and will have you immersed in this bizarre dystopian future for hours upon hours.
  7. Nov 9, 2014
    I read a lot critics here that shows little to no relation to what I experienced with Shadowrun Returns (SR), so I guess I'd write my own review. For the record, I played the tabletop game quite regularly since its inception in the early 90's, but not the other video games based on it.

First, the good points: The story that comes attached with the game is a classic: It gives the player a nice overview of the Shadowrun universe and some of its major actors, and despite lacking voice talent or even a change in the musical score, it manages to be compelling.

The music is very good, and at some point I thought is was music made by an actual musical act, instead of being "just a game's soundtrack". The interface is clean, easy to learn and use, requiring mostly just a mouse. I also like what they did with the decking.

The system is excellent. It is a simplification of the tabletop one (third edition), with no restraints on progression, where the player can chose to build Jacks-of-all-Trades or specialists as their character. Many combinations of skills are possible, making it a game people will replay using different races and skill sets.

Finally, it comes with a complete editor, so the replaying value is compensated for what is quite a short main story. I can't say that it is the most user-friendly editor I ever used, but it's there, and that for me weighted a lot when I did buy the game (if I had bought it).

First among the bad points are the graphics. I can't believe some games still have that rigid isometric viewing that brings the early 90's to mind. Take a game like "Freedom Force", an early 2000's game which used about the same strategic game play: You could rotate the camera and hear the environmental noises all over, and the graphics were like 10 years in advance over what appears in SR. That people wrote that the graphics were nice is beyond me: They are cartoonish, 2D and blocky.

That carries around with the aspect of your character, too; If class customization is open-ended, the appearance and clothing are way too limited, in this day and age. Likewise, the weapons, armors, spells, programs follow a "they get better as you level-up" pattern, which of course makes them mandatory as soon as they appear, no matter the class you designed, you end up having the same SMG at the same time in the story.

Rounding out the bad points, the AI cheats in strategic environment to compensate for the AI's limitations, roughly doubling the oppo's hit chance and damage caused as it is supposed to get tougher. It's manageable, but can be quite frustrating if you don't prepare for it.

All in all, SR is a somewhat nostalgic game that long time Shadowrun player will instantly recognize (it is also written by one of the core game's authors, too, so the feeling isn't artificial). Its re-playability will depend on how the community reacts to both the game and its editors, and from that pool I got the best like the worst.

I just hope that the next installment of this franchise will show some more up-to-date graphics and sounds, without cutting on the very acceptable system and interface: Six out of ten, worth the buy if you know what you're buying.
  8. Oct 24, 2014
    Fantastic cyberpunk experience and a very pleasant surprise demonstrating that even on low budget you can create a wonderful game.

Sure, there are some budget shortcomings such as no voice overs, not only dialog, but there is actually not a single voice in the entire game, but I grew up on 90's RPGs, so I got used to extensive reading quickly and the game rewarded me with superb story from the Shadowrun universe.

A lot of the criticism is about the linearity of the game, which is true, but it didn't really bother me as it helped the storytelling pace to be more focused and without any weak points. I was enjoying the atmosphere and was intrigued by the story, expecting what will happen next. Descriptions of the world, the characters, dialogs, it's all written very well.

Don't expect a typical RPG with huge world where you can do anything, loot and so on (there isn't even proper inventory management and looting is mostly absent here), this is more of a story driven experience with some RPG elements and tactical turn-based combat ala X-Com which is very nicely done and there is a right amount of challenge. I like the variations of classes, different weapons, magic worked nicely, I played as a Decker and the infiltration where you hack into the matrix to achieve the security breach and you must be quick as the other party members are protecting you from the threats in the real world, experiences like this are what made this game unique and why I love it so much.

Also, after a recent disappointment with ugly visuals of Wasteland 2, another Kickstarter project using the same engine, I must say that I was very pleasantly surprised by all the beautiful hand-drawn visuals here, locations and environments are just gorgeous, most characters have their own hand-drawn pictures and the overall art style is very impressive. Sometimes I just stopped for a moment and appreciated the beauty. The whole thing oozes cyberpunk atmosphere which is supported by a fitting electronic soundtrack.

There is a minor gripe here, ambient tracks are fine, but the combat music is too short and repetitive and because turn-based battles here can last quite some time it repeats on loop over and over and it gets annoying. Another criticism I read in reviews is the absence of manual save and some bugs, but I played already the patched version, where not only you could save and quick save at your own leisure, but I haven't found a single bug in the entire game, completely bug-free (if I don't count the actually bug creatures in the story of course) and that deserves a big thumbs up, especially since this game runs on Unity engine and up to this point, my experience with Unity was extremely bad as all Unity games I played were completely infested with technical glitches, bad optimization and tons of other problems, be it Wasteland 2 or Might & Magic X, so I was afraid Shadowrun will suffer the same symptoms, but obviously when your developers are not completely incompetent, you can create 100% smooth ride even in Unity.

I didn't expect it, but to my surprise Shadowrun Returns is a cyberpunk masterpiece, I loved every minute of it and can strongly recommend it. Looking forward to play Dragonfall expansion. 10/10
  9. Oct 11, 2014
    This is the perfect example of how a tabletop RPG is so much different than a CRPG.
    A translation must be done, some things are better in a tabletop RPG and other things are best suited for a computer.
    Ignoring it, we have this: poor simplified game play, where the story is read to us, relying mostly on descriptions on the atmosphere and coolness of the game, than actually presenting that atmosphere.
    It must mean something that for me the weakest part of the game was the actual roleplaying.
    By the end, I didn't really feel like talking to any of the superficial npcs and choose any of the irrelevant dialogue options.
  10. Oct 2, 2014
    Very good, uncomplicated and linear role-playing game which is settled in a cyberpunk world, that combines elements of reality, fantasy and science fiction.
    I enjoy the (simple but intuitive) game mechanics, the (Xcom-like) combat, the storyline (in which you try to find a serial killer) and my character developement a lot, havent discovered any bug so far and always knew what i should do next.

Havent had so much enjoyment in a long time, and therefore, can easily recommend!
  11. Sep 21, 2014
    The game features fantastic isometric images and great music, but that's it for me. I particularly don't like turn based combat, I'm not good at them, because it seems you need the optimal build from the start to make it. I failed in the very first combat session in this game: you somehow seem to be overwhelmed all the time. However, positive thing is that the designers gave multipleThe game features fantastic isometric images and great music, but that's it for me. I particularly don't like turn based combat, I'm not good at them, because it seems you need the optimal build from the start to make it. I failed in the very first combat session in this game: you somehow seem to be overwhelmed all the time. However, positive thing is that the designers gave multiple options to accomplish a task with either money, few of the skills or talk style. (I don't like games where you are cut from content because of your build, especially if it is somewhat tedius to replay to the same decision point over and over.) Missions barely give enough profit if you bring multiple shadowrunners along, which is almost always a must. Note that this is my opinion about the default Dead man's switch campaign, which has modestly interresting story, but not that engaging. Expand
  12. Sep 6, 2014
    Pile of garbage. If I have no stash I cannot buy **** for my characters. My main needs to be able to use what I buy because the stash disappears when I select another character. The thing is this **** over UGC too. Pistols are **** Oh and the graphics are ****
  13. Aug 26, 2014
    A highly enjoyable action/RPG with a great story and very fun combat elements. Game looks great and well worth a look for anyone who enjoys this mix of genres.
  14. Aug 23, 2014
    Incredible. Simply incredible.
    Having never heard of Shadowrun, apart from a mere read of one or two reviews of the XBOX shooter, I decided to try Shadowrun Returns, and as an RPG, it sounded more up my alley.
    Incredible. Simply incredible.
    I'll just start off with the story that's included with the game, 'Dead Man's Switch'. Dead Man's Switch starts off with your character that you made (it could be an Ork, a Troll, a Dwarf, etc) getting a message from a dead man, asking you to avenge his death.
    Sounds intriguing, no? I won't spoil anything major for you, but there are some serious things happening behind the scenes and some people pulling a lot of strings.
    The gameplay is an isometric RPG, with tactical round based combat. You have action points, which dictate how many moves you can take or what powers you can utilize each turn, and you can customize your character with guns, drones and magic.
    One of the highlights of the game for me is the Matrix. With any Decker character, you can plug yourself into ports and transfer an avatar of yourself into cyberspace. Not only does the Matrix look nice, the music is chilling (throughout the whole game, actually, the music is engaging) and the unique concepts within the Matrix are brilliant- there are some things inside the Matrix that actually hurt your real self- so be careful how much physical health you have before plugging yourself in!
    I did have a few problems with the game sometimes, however, such as not being able to save mid-mission, and the weapon system not being explained enough (why can't I equip a spell alongside my gun and drone?), but overall, a game that is definitely worth your time.
  15. Aug 14, 2014
    This game is a nice throwback to games like Baldur's gate but the problem is that those games are much much older and I would have rather just replayed them. Maybe I'm wrong but it just felt slow and there were parts where you have to read mountains of text. I really like the combat and character development so that is what saved it from being a total disappointment for me.
  16. Jul 24, 2014
    Combat is a bit simpler than I like it, but it's a good successor to the franchise. Very texty, it almost feels like an oldschool RPG experience with lots of text to click through. The story is good, the setting works well and the puzzles are a challenge.
    The fights can be a bit long though, and I wish there were more character customisation. Still, definitely worth a player for any RPG fan who likes slower-paced games.
  17. Jul 14, 2014
    Very solid RPG experience.
    About 15 hours playtime on the main campaign is enough content for a low budget title.
    The storyline is well presented with dialogue fitting to the world of Shadowrun. In addition you have access to the steam workshop with a lot of user generated content. Mechanics wise there is a problem with the hitting percentage which can be frustrating at times. 75%
    Very solid RPG experience.

75% hitchance often feels like its 40% at best.

Overall it is a fun experience, even for people who normally dont finish RPGs due to their length.
  18. Jul 13, 2014
    I think, I love everything about this game. It could be a little bit longer though, but still one of the coolest games ever played. Soundtrack, characters, scenario and dialogues... great work.
  19. Jul 12, 2014
    Extremely linear, doesn't feel like a real RPG - more like a point & click adventure w/o the puzzles and combining the items. It looks a bit like a mobile game... which it is. Though I was playing on PC. Combat is OK - I was surprised how little there was, which is actually a pleasant surprise (story and characters are more important to me). Writing is good, I enjoyed both theExtremely linear, doesn't feel like a real RPG - more like a point & click adventure w/o the puzzles and combining the items. It looks a bit like a mobile game... which it is. Though I was playing on PC. Combat is OK - I was surprised how little there was, which is actually a pleasant surprise (story and characters are more important to me). Writing is good, I enjoyed both the descriptions, flavor text and the dialogue. What killed the game for me (and is the reason for this low score) are the bugs which prevented me from finishing it. I was playing a Decker and had Black ICE follow me to the real world, was stuck on combat mode forever and after I got past that I found a jackpoint to which I could not jack in. What's the point of playing a Decker if everything Decker-wise is broken? I can only imagine how frustrated people must have been with the autosave system, fortunately I came to the party late. I cannot recommend this game in its current state and would be angry if I backed it up on Kickstarter. I did not, but I still paid for it, I wish I could get a refund on Steam for a broken product. Expand
  20. Jul 11, 2014
    I have to say, this was VERY refreshing. It felt good and fun. Quite intuitive. GREAT platform to make your own missions. As with everything, there is a "but" coming. ...but the campaign that comes with it goes from cool, to drag, to WTF?! If this game didn't come with the campaign editor, it would be a 4 or 5, but the community keeps it from mediocrity (mostly).

The cool things

The cool things we remember from the P&P are there. Just gotta keep an eye out for the easter eggs (first one you will see is over the bar). They decided to go more fantasy this time than cyberpunk and it gets campy. Anyone remember the movie "Dungeons & Dragons" with Marlon Wayans? Yea, that kind of campy.

At least the systems are still fun and that is the basis for the community adventures. I have to say, some people have gone WAY out on some of these. There are a few that so outclass the campaign that comes with the game, they should just feature them in the game (i.e. directly suggest the top 3 or 5 for immediate download. Oh you will get the campy ones, too. That's the price of community mods, but it certainly was a boon for Skyrim. So too, I feel, for Shadowrun Returns.
  21. Jul 2, 2014
    Decent. About all I can say, though. I spent some time looking through the negative reviews, and I must say that most the gripes and complaints (Aside from the actual linearity of the game) have been addressed.

I'm a linux user- game plays perfectly. Over 20 hours of gameplay and only one crash, which was my own fault. Quicksave works, along with rollback your autosaves. You can

Quicksave works, along with rollback your autosaves.

You can save on exit also.

Even can make your own save game.

Unfortunately, though, the game is still simple. It has no real "dice rolling" mechanics that I was hoping to be able to take advantage of. The numbers you "roll" seem arbitrary. The game is essentially: Level up your stuff, become more OP. Even with harder difficulty, it doesn't fix the simplistic gameplay.

The character designs seem second thought. I can't say that I'm attached to my character, really. There isn't much character progression you can do, even with user generated content that I've seen so far.

The game is worth it on a sale. The developers seem to be addressing the concerns of the community, as you see by my list of fixed items. However, I still can't say it is a "great game". Just a game to spend some time with.

The saving grace is that as a table top runner for some shadowrun every now and again, the game has given me ideas on streamlining matrix and "jaking in" in general. The matrix aspect of this game is interesting. It isn't technical, at all- But it works. it gets the point across. You don't need to be a networking engineer to undestand what you're doing. That is a very nicely done thing.

Kudos for the effort. Just wish the characters had more to them.
  22. Jun 27, 2014
    General Overview: An old school (supposedly) game play centric game that will remind many of us of the beginnings of great role playing adventures such as the original Ultima series. The graphics provide a nice atmosphere and the writing is decent but the campaign, Dead Man's Switch is very linear with LOTS of text reading. Make no mistake, you are NOT buying this for the campaign asGeneral Overview: An old school (supposedly) game play centric game that will remind many of us of the beginnings of great role playing adventures such as the original Ultima series. The graphics provide a nice atmosphere and the writing is decent but the campaign, Dead Man's Switch is very linear with LOTS of text reading. Make no mistake, you are NOT buying this for the campaign as the characters are shallow and your interaction is too brief to be of consequence. Its more showcase for what you have bought which is the editor that allows user generated content. As a game its more of an interactive novel than a game and unfortunately the story is only serviceable. This game will also only appeal to those with the patience and tolerance for text based gaming in the narrative sense. The combat is also serviceable at best and the challenge is not there and the "karma" (development points for your character) are provided for some of the smallest of actions and make earning those nearly meaningless. If you have no interest in building your own missions to share. don't want to take the risk that others will create something that you love and you have no intention of buying the FAR SUPERIOR Dragon Fall DLC there is little to recommend here.

TL;DNR: 5:More of a demonstration campaign and editor tool for community development than a game. I would suggest avoiding unless you plan to create your own campaigns, want to try the community developed campaigns or plan to buy and play the FAR SUPERIOR Dragon Fall DLC.

Technology/engine: 5: nothing earth shattering here although the editor is accessible and works well to generate custom content.

AI: 5: Not much here in this installment. AI is standard fare.

Graphics: 8: The 3D/2D as they call it works well and the art style is appealing and creates a great atmosphere.

Sound: 5: The ambient sounds are decent but nothing to write home about.

Soundtrack: 5: Music is appropriate but not all that varied. Fits to the atmosphere created by the art and the writing but is nothing outstanding.

Voice acting: N/A

Crafting: N/A

Customization: 4: Very minor and nothing to get excited over.

Game play systems: 8: The game play systems are well formed but poorly executed in the campaign - its far too simple and combat is too brief and too simple with very little challenge. The hope lies in the communities ability to put these systems to good use.

Controls: 5: Simple point and click interaction. Very, very basic.

Story: 5: Character development is poor in this installment and conversational choices are meaningless. It really is not something to get excited about and the reading gets laborious at points as there is nothing really driving the story forward.

Multiplayer :N/A
  23. Jun 16, 2014
    They fixed the god awful lack of save feature so I finally sat down and finished the game. I really liked the theme, art, and setting. Overall, I enjoyed it.
  24. May 28, 2014
    Amazing game, Great story, great game-play, makes you feel like your playing the pen &paper game from 1989, or that your reading one of the novels... Highly recommended it!!!
  25. May 8, 2014
    I find it very playable, except that it feels written by someone with an undergraduate in gender studies and a point to prove. A little preachy at times, a lot predictable always, but its heart is in the right place. If the developers had cut a few fewer corners and really tried to make your choices more meaningful, this game would be hugely successful.

Instead, you get what you pay

Instead, you get what you pay for: a pleasant jaunt through a lovingly crafted setting rife with amateur mistakes and superficial placeholders for something that never got around to being great.
  26. Apr 25, 2014
    I've always loved the Shadowrun universe since playing it on pen and paper back in the day. This game stays true. Well designed and written. I'm a big fan of the series.
  27. Apr 3, 2014
    A fairly flawed game that I wanted to like, but the controls are so clunky and slow, and the game so 1-dimensional that I can't give it better than a 4.
  28. Mar 21, 2014
    Would have given the game a 10 except for the very short length of the main story. Regardless, it was a lot of fun to play through and I've done so more than 4 times with different characters.
  29. Mar 19, 2014
    Interesting rpg but pretty average. No voice acting, limited choice of equipment, no sidequests, bad combat system where you miss half of the time. Can't say I enjoyed it much.
  30. Mar 18, 2014
    This game succeeds because it captures the spirit of Shadowrun. The balance isn't quite there and sometimes the gameplay feels slightly limited, but it feels like Shadowrun and that's very important. It also succeeds in making an environment to create Shadowrun adventures easily and is a very promising start to something that was probably published in something like a beta state.
  31. Mar 4, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. For a game with so few load-bearing walls, the lack of a more involved leveling system seems almost tired. Too tired, considering. We're talking an isometric-view game that you could run on a computer purchased 10 years ago...from Best Buy. If there's anything that should have been focused on in the game, it should have been the leveling system. However, it looks more like the creators started off nicely with the first 4-5 skills in *some* categories, then simply phoned the rest in with the back end simply having "limits" depending you race choice.

Story. Let's just very briefly discuss how asinine it is to have an RPG where the last boss can only be beaten with a specific weapon. What does one do when they level up only physical or magical attributes, and skimp on gunplay skills? What a horrible oversight.

Next, we have the rave reviews on the amazing environment in the game. I don't see it. I see a highly unpopulated world, where most of the people you meet are located in a bar.
  32. Feb 5, 2014
    It's a tricky endeavor to build a game mainly on story and narrative - but Shadowrun Returns handles this with success.

Shadowrun is a lore-rich cyberpunk/fantasy mashup universe which has been explored since the 90s. There are more than 40 novels in English, 5 video games and countless table-top campaigns. There is also an MMO being developed. Having it's back on this lore, this game offers a very compelling story, rich characters and and immersive game play.

One downside, however, is the linearity. Even though character and class variations are well balanced and of satisfactory variety, the playthrough is linear. This wouldn't necessarily be a downside if this game was an action/adventure game; but over the years we've come expect at least some sort of openworld gameplay. I hear, however, the upcoming expansion will be addressing this.

The additional plus for this game is its workshop. You can download user made content (which exist, and are pretty good) from new classes to new campaigns.

Go ahead chummer, you'll like this one. Wiz.
  33. Jan 29, 2014
    Aside from nostalgia that drives some attention to this game thanks to his old fans, It's looks like an unfinished indie game with boring linear quest line. I backed this on kickstarter due to my interest in cyberpunk genre and it's history. But the game is barely worth your money and your time if you have better things to do.

Here's couple of things I remember from playing it last

Here's couple of things I remember from playing it last summer:

- No voice acting, you just click on speeches with no atmospheric sound or any consequence to story or gameplay whatsoever.

- There are no puzzles, no sidequests and cutscenes, anything. It's like half of the content is missing from the game.

- It's not worth 20.00$ - 10$ tops for me.

It's the same thing like the Baldur's Gate Enhanced edition series. People are just trying to milk your nostalgia without any decent work. BG2 EE crashes more than the pirate version and it costs 25$

These are all acceptable to a mobile gaming platform. But I think ye olde PC gamers deserves more than this rehashed crap.
  34. Jan 15, 2014
    As someone who never has the patience for games exactly like this, Shadowrun Returns was a good exception. The expansive universe of shadowrun is very well defined and it makes a very noticeable difference in the quality of story. I have no love for the sort of combat system it sports. My first experience with that style was XCOM: Enemy Unknown, which I couldn't stomach to play more than aAs someone who never has the patience for games exactly like this, Shadowrun Returns was a good exception. The expansive universe of shadowrun is very well defined and it makes a very noticeable difference in the quality of story. I have no love for the sort of combat system it sports. My first experience with that style was XCOM: Enemy Unknown, which I couldn't stomach to play more than a day due to the intense feeling of dead time while waiting for matters to progress. Shadowrun Returns managed to do it a bit faster and with much more fairness. The reason why this game doesn't deserve an 8 or 9 is because of serious unpatched glitches. Even in the most recent patch, the game has a hard time recognizing its own saves, and there were at least 3 levels that had to be completely replayed because of triggers being missed and disallowing progress. With a game like this, and only a single autosave per level, that's a massive unnecessary time investment to get through. Expand
  35. Jan 6, 2014
    Shadowrun Returns is a game for "old school" gamers who like old school turn based RPG's :D
    It has an awesome art design, and soundtrack, but most important for this type of games, it has tons of text a good quality dialog.
    Some say it's a short game. Maybe....but i put in 37 hours, and you will find interesting content created by fans with that awesome Editor that comes with game.
    Story is good. It can keep you on some sort of tension until you reach half of the game. After this moment the story begin to be previsible.
    It has no loot, and almost zero exploration. Yep, it's quite linear and story driven game.
    On the other hand the combat system works flawless, and the skills tree it's original and interesting. But because you can control all your party members, you will play with almost all classes available from first playthrough. So....re-playability is not so good.

I recommend this game to those who look for an old school turn-based RPG placed in an original cyberpunk world.
  36. Jan 3, 2014
    Shadowrun returns is a good game, in the spirit of old RPG's. Graphics are so pretty and combat is very tactical (is a shame enemies in normal mode are too easy, but that's probably to avoid troll younger players). The story is fluid enough to keep you in the trail. With time, the game is going better and better. I don't complain about the Autosave, that's part of the game and you usuallyShadowrun returns is a good game, in the spirit of old RPG's. Graphics are so pretty and combat is very tactical (is a shame enemies in normal mode are too easy, but that's probably to avoid troll younger players). The story is fluid enough to keep you in the trail. With time, the game is going better and better. I don't complain about the Autosave, that's part of the game and you usually will not die so it is not that bad, but, even when I know a RPG is not a Sandbox, the campaign could give us more choices, I mainly missed a MAP, so you could move through the city. Some interface choices are bad too, like that avoiding you change your equipment until you buy something or reach your locker. In the end, the game is more enjoyable than a lot of big titles out there and it deserves everyone in RPG or Tactical mood gives it a chance. Expand
  37. Dec 28, 2013
    The game is a mix between diablo and x-com and is quite fun to play.
    You have different places where you meet vendors for items, spells, etc. and other people that tell you about the story or give you a mission. The gameplay in the mission is turnbased and orients itself at x-com. But it's much easier to play than x-com, there are no different heights, and no real complex maps,
    but on
    The game is a mix between diablo and x-com and is quite fun to play.
    but on the other hand your team (you and your hired crew, for every mission you have to hire a new crew) has more variety than x-com, since there are different races and classes (normal soldiers, mages, necromancers, deckers. The difference between a normal fantasy game like diablo there are also classes for techstuff such as deckers, for hacking and going into a matrix where where also takes place turnbased combat between your decker and his created programs against enemy programs.
    It's quite fun to play and the dialogs are entertaining, but in the end it gets a bit boring. And it's not bugfree. I am now in the last chapter "the hunt begins", but there is a scripting error and I cannot continue, I cleaned the level, and a monster doesn't come out through a wall opening a new path to continue the game. It's a known error, I googled it, I might be possible to continue if I restart the level, but the problem is there is no save option, only an autosave option after full completion of a level, and the level consists of 3 stages and I am already in the last stage, and I don't want to bother running through all the 3 stages again. I have seen enough of the game and it's not evolving anymore that much. All in all, x-com combat gameplay with different character classes and magic in, entertaining dialogs and storyline in the shadowrun world told in diablo fashion. But does not evolve anymore in the end, and the combat is not complex enough, and it's not bugfree, there was no good quality assurance!
  38. Dec 19, 2013
    I went into this game having no prior knowledge of Shadowrun other than some general knowledge about the setting. I have to say this game has made me a fan, extremely well written and well put together campaign. My only complaint is that it feels very very short for this type of game, I was just getting into it when it ended, which was extremely disappointing. The combat and characterI went into this game having no prior knowledge of Shadowrun other than some general knowledge about the setting. I have to say this game has made me a fan, extremely well written and well put together campaign. My only complaint is that it feels very very short for this type of game, I was just getting into it when it ended, which was extremely disappointing. The combat and character development is interesting and the challenge was sufficient on the higher difficulty settings. I can't wait for their next official campaign and to try some user created ones. Expand
  39. Dec 6, 2013
    Backed it on Kickstarter and have to say i was expecting more.
    I've finished it, tried some of the user content never picked it up again.

Since seeing it's release on the iOS market. And re-analyzing the game.
    I can't help but feel the PC market was NEVER there audience on Kickstarter and the aim was to always make a tablet product.

Worth a playthrough for $5 wouldn't spend anymore.
  40. Dec 4, 2013
    What a wonderful idea... I backed it on Kickstarter. But, the game just doesn't run on my Linux machine at all and the developer's bug reporting system is haphazard so I have gotten no feedback about when it might actually run. For that matter, even though they advanced to the Linux version number more than half of their website still refers to the previous patch level. Another exampleWhat a wonderful idea... I backed it on Kickstarter. But, the game just doesn't run on my Linux machine at all and the developer's bug reporting system is haphazard so I have gotten no feedback about when it might actually run. For that matter, even though they advanced to the Linux version number more than half of their website still refers to the previous patch level. Another example of a developer pushing a game out half-baked and then failing to patch the game up to its level of promise. Expand
  41. Dec 4, 2013
    I feel compelled to defend this game.

I feel compelled to defend this game.

Consider this: The original Fallout had a budget of 3 million 1993 Dollars and a crew of 30 people working for four years. Shadowrun Returns had a budget of 1.8 million, by Weissman's admission 35% of this went to giving backers prizes. It also had to hire 25 additional people (the original 10 wouldn't do for the expanded project). Start to finish, they had less than one year.

The "Dead Man Switch" campaign is too linear and lacks significant side quest content, dialogue options and opportunities to immerse yourself in a plot line directly impacted by your actions. However, these elements could be added to the game by user's creating content.

The combat system is well designed and allows for interesting player positions and strategies. Corpse looting is not a big part of the game. Baddies drop quest items mostly and your character can't hold so much. Honestly, I don't miss carting truckloads of junk loot to and from a fence. The game gives you infinite ammo (still costs actions to reload...mostly).

It's a bit buggy for me at times and I hate that you can't save until a level switch.

I have absolute faith that the fan base will create compelling levels for us to play and that this game, while not the most incredible ever, is catching a lot of guff it doesn't deserve.
  42. Dec 2, 2013
    Being a long time fan of cyberpunk when the game came on sale I was like what the heck, why not. I was in for a very VERY pleasant surprise.
    The game is indie but the only thing really reflecting this is the graphics. It does seem a bit dated but if you can live without everything reflecting everything and such gimmicks, you will see a well written story (the first few hours at least that I played through so far), great atmosphere, real role play game-like descriptions.
    The magic, the races, the cyber, the Matrix... everything is there. No wonder of course since the game was made by a company led by Jordan Weisman, the person who designed the Shadowrun tabletop game, so I guess it hardly gets more authentic than that.
    Since I haven't finished the game yet I can't really judge the story or the late game balance, but what I can tell is that the true strength of the game lies in modding so instead of buying pricey DLCs you can actually get free user generated content. Now if I learned anything over my years of tabletop RPGs it is that people who are into it are enthusiastic and creative beyond imagination but also very adamant in interpreting the world and the rules in their own way so I am sure it is a good idea to be on the lookout for some great mods.

Once I finish the game I will change my score to 10 (or not)
  43. Dec 2, 2013
    cool story, no gameplay.
    cool story, no gameplay.
    I loved NWN series and played them just to see where the story went, because it had proper d&d mechanics it was alright gameplay wise, but I was not able to suffer through this. I do not have anything against turn based combat games but the execution in this is just bad. The fact that you cannot save anytime you want makes it worse, it is like having to read a couple of the pages you already read in a book.

Speaking of books, go read a book instead of this. Rating it 5 for the intriguing story, which always constitutes half of my rating.
  44. Dec 1, 2013
    You a DIY or weekend warrior? Then I've got the game er campaign editor for you! Introducing Shadowrun Returns!

So you recall the snes and the genesis game of 94/95? Where you were dropped in an open world free to suit up and level up your favorite runners and make loads of credits! Well toss those memories out the window sir as Shadowrun Returns does none of those nostalgia things of decades past. Instead immerse yourself into hours of editing and trial an error as you try and make sense of the campaign editor! That's right kiddies, this here "Game" offers the player one campaign and the exclusive campaign editor "new models and textures later to be released via dlc packs". The main campaign "Dead man's switch" will run on average time of 12 hours, but it's an example by the developers to show what you the player can do.
    Reading before the launch of this it read like the old games of yesterday, however on launch it was a slap in the face as the game only has auto save, unlimited ammo limited mana, runners that aren't persistent, one road path, not open world, no random encounters, reading tons of pointless reading "don't get me wrong it was a cute story DMS" but nothing mattered, choices don't matter, dialogue doesn't matter, karma skill tree doesn't work, deckers are useless, guns rule, drawn out battles where if you fail guess what back to save point to swim through loads of texts all over again. The list goes on as to how this failed to be a game and became a choose your path story book editor.

It's real true to tabletop DM style, where as a DM designs a run and players come together and play the DM run. However I fail to see the market in tabletop players even bothering with this as paper and pen is a lot faster to design runs on the spot. What happened here was the snes and genesis players of yesterday all came together along with some tabletop backers and pushed the Kickstarter well beyond their expectations. The only bright side to this lackluster knock off is the art put into the design and a editor "whoopee".

1.8 million in Kickstarter and all they pushed out was an editor and above average design.

76 critic and a 7.5 user For an editor, that's a skewed rating if you ask me. It should be 65 critic above average and a neutral 5 user as it mainly depends on people to make campaigns for it. You do all the work but we'll take the credit for making such a awesome editor mentality.
  45. Nov 26, 2013
    Having played and been a fan of previous Shadowrun titles, and having many fond memories, I found this to be a welcome and long over-due addition to the series. Younger players may not appreciate this very much since this is a game straight out of 1992, but this is exactly the kind of game I wanted from countless titles I've purchased in the past for much more.

Technically speaking, the

Technically speaking, the game doesn't raise any standards, in fact it is a little old-school, but so are its tabletop roleplaying roots. And in the spirit of its table-top predecessors, I think the depth of customization offered is something I've only found in a couple games, ever. A fully featured campaign asset creator.

If you're looking for a game that offers amazing capability in authoring your own turn-based RPG stories and adventures, and don't mind sacrificing a little technical advancement to keep things simple, then this will likely be right up your alley. But don't expect AAA, 200hour, custom physics engine fanciness. Shadowrun Returns is definitely one of my favorite isometric RPGs for PC.
  46. Nov 23, 2013
    There's a lot to like about Shadowrun Returns. Not the least of which it is a huge amount of fun. Fun marred by some silly but painful issues but still fun.

What Shadowrun does right is the turn based game is simple but still tactical. The story moves fast and leaves me compelled to read all the text boxes. A little mediocre are the graphics and more so the sound effects. Not a

A little mediocre are the graphics and more so the sound effects. Not a big issue unless you're expecting something that looks like XCom: Enemy Unknown.

What it does wrong is unfortunate and honestly feels like it could have been fixed with a couple of weeks more effort. This game only auto-saves. And those saves are few and far between (generally 15 to 20 minutes of game-play). This can be quite frustrating when a simple battles turns into a run of bad dice rolls and a character you didn't want dead ends of up dead.

Or, more annoyingly, when you need to shut down and spend quarter of an hour hunting for the next save point (Why not save when closing the parties locker?)

The next big issue (again a small programming issue) is that I run a higher than usual resolution but can only zoom as if I was running a much lower resolution leaving everything looking tiny including interactive icons. This is exacerbated by character dialogues that change the camera zoom. And there is a lot of dialogue.

All in a all a pretty awesome game almost broken by two small issues. Oops.
  47. Nov 11, 2013
    Linear, only autosave, XCom clone, made for smartphones. That's about it.

I really, really love the artstyle though, and I just hope the Berlin campaign will improve everything, but since it's an iOS game and the devs are clearly focused on casual players and a quick cash grab, I highly doubt it.
  48. Nov 10, 2013
    Not many hardcore RPGs are made nowadays. I've spent nice time playing this game. However, I think that the ending in main campaign was incomplete. I'm not going to spoil anything, but I had this feeling that it could have been something more. Though, the game all in all was fun to play, you always can try campaigns made by others and the game reminded me of first & second Fallout, whichNot many hardcore RPGs are made nowadays. I've spent nice time playing this game. However, I think that the ending in main campaign was incomplete. I'm not going to spoil anything, but I had this feeling that it could have been something more. Though, the game all in all was fun to play, you always can try campaigns made by others and the game reminded me of first & second Fallout, which I'm going to play again. Dear God, I love RPGs! Expand
  49. Nov 9, 2013
    Quite enjoyable, if unfortunately linear. The original cyberpunk ambience is wonderful, though, and the free-for-all editor with Steam Workshop integration and a big focus on community creations sets it apart.
  50. Nov 1, 2013
    I give it a 5 because it has mod capabilities and The Nexus supports mods for easy access. The game itself is linear, simple and quite honestly boring but you'll be able to find some nice mods out there which makes it playable.
  51. Oct 31, 2013
    Shadowrun Returns' Dead Man's Switch will leave a lasting impression similar to the movie Se7en. SRR makes you make some ethical and moral decisions without keeping track of your ‘alignment' like Bioware and Bethesda games do. As a direct result, every single decision you make feel meaningful and not like you're making the “good” or “bad” decision because your character is going to beShadowrun Returns' Dead Man's Switch will leave a lasting impression similar to the movie Se7en. SRR makes you make some ethical and moral decisions without keeping track of your ‘alignment' like Bioware and Bethesda games do. As a direct result, every single decision you make feel meaningful and not like you're making the “good” or “bad” decision because your character is going to be “good” or “bad” for a desired ending or achievement. In my mind SRR has one of the more memorable plots I have played in any video game which is actually assisted by the length of the game. Any game that can be played in a few hardcore gaming sessions will probably leave a better impression on you because you don't feel like there's 40 hours of buildup to an ending or plot twist. Harebrained Schemes decided to name the game Shadowrun Returns, and return Shadowrun has. Expand
  52. Oct 28, 2013
    A very good game the first time through the mechanics are interesting, the story is both intelligible and engaging, while the numerous characters if somewhat shallow are engaging.
    The second time through however is where it slips, as you'll find your choices have no real impact on the story and as a result there's very little variation it quickly becomes dull.
    Your 'personality' is only
    Your 'personality' is only what you interpret it to be, if you're rude to npcs it won't impact any conversation tree.
    Overall a very fun game but for re-playability you'll have to look to either expansions or community mods.
  53. Oct 18, 2013
    Shadowrun Returns is like a Big Mac. Some people think that a Big Mac is the most delicious burger in the world. The people who know better know that it's not.

Now if you are here you are probably wondering why a game with almost 500 positive reviews have 100 negative ones. That's 1 negative for every 5 positives btw. If so, then I have one word for you, just one word: "fanboys". The metacritic score is of 75 is so far away from my experience that I made a metacritic accounting specifically to give this game a 3/10.

This is supposed to be an RPG. Not a tabletop engine (which sucks anyway because so many limitations are hardcoded and cannot be changed through the modkit.)

The campaign lasted me only 5-6 hours? and has 1 or 2 sidequests. This is fine if you are one of those who think that the Ipad is the best platform for an RPG. If so, stop reading now and buy the game. You will love it. Then, please email HBS and tell them that they are gods and they should quit developing anything for anything other than Android and IOS. If you have ever played any RPGs on any other platform that is heavier than two pounds, read on.

The story is poorly written. The story sounds like something written by a 15 year old and you should probably be able to tell how it's gonna end by the time you get 1/3 into the campaign. Those reviewers who applauded the story must have never read a decent novel. They probably also think that Jean Claude Van Damme's movies have such good plot twists, because the plot of the campaign is on the same level as the plot of the Expendables 2. The dialogue lines are as campy as Jean-Claude's lines from ANY of his movies.

Classes, races, and "etiquette" do not matter. "Oh hey you're a security guy, let me buy that from you for 1000 instead of 500" pretty much sums it up.

Interface is severely clunky. Have to click everything? Yes indeed. You have to click multiple times to do things like equip a medpack or whatever they call it.

Weapons do not matter. Anything can kill anything else. Don't like having a weapon? Doesn't matter either. You can kill anything in the game with your fists if you want.

No ammunition. this is 2013. They have magic guns in an RPG. Kudos. It's funny when you think about it, because mages consume mana, but rocket launchers shoot forever!

Oh yeah, the character models in the game are a little on the poor side, which I wouldn't mind if the campaign was non-linear and more open world, with a bunch of side quests and a good storyline, but it doesn't.

I did like the pet behavior, but I don't wanna add any spoilers so you'll have to figure that one out yourself when you summon one.
  54. Oct 10, 2013
    Amazing game. I didn't play the original game (in fact I didn't even know anything about it 'till I played this one). The first few seconds I was skeptical about me really getting to play the game 'cause of the very retro artstyle and high emphasis on reading and reading and reading more texts...

But then I just decided to give it a chance... and boy am I glad I did. This game has the

But then I just decided to give it a chance... and boy am I glad I did.
    This game has the soul that games like FF7 had. It has a lot of charisma in it and how the universe, the story, the soundtrack (AMAZING) and the design become one and sucks you right in all the way to the end make this game outstanding.

It's not perfect tho, you seem to be able to make a lot of decisions but it's all a lie, almost nothing you choose to do actually change anything in the game.
    And at some point I got a bug that froze the mission and got me stuck to the point I had to load an earlier save, like some script wouldn't happen or something... and that's a bad thing.

Other than that, it's one of those ''special games'', I really liked it.
  55. Oct 10, 2013
    I really enjoyed this game and can review it in the context of modern games, without having played any prior shadow run games. RPG elements are a bit light and party dynamics are fairly weak. However there is definitely an immersive environment and story that pushes you forward to play more and more of the game. The thing that detracts however is the length of the game. I was seriouslyI really enjoyed this game and can review it in the context of modern games, without having played any prior shadow run games. RPG elements are a bit light and party dynamics are fairly weak. However there is definitely an immersive environment and story that pushes you forward to play more and more of the game. The thing that detracts however is the length of the game. I was seriously expecting double/triple the size and content, very disappointing and slightly ruins an otherwise enjoyable game. Expand
  56. Oct 8, 2013
    nice game great story and combat system my only disappoint is the save system but the game worth the money hope to see more game from this developer and maybe a story a little plus long
  57. Oct 6, 2013
    Great tactic rpg in fantastic Shadowrun universe. Nice hero making possibility and without cheating You can really be whatever You want and it is also playable. Making Your own team can easily match the differences between classes. Pity it is not so long, but main plot is quite interesting and barely naive. Game absolutely necessary for every old timer rpg fan. Gameplay is good and quiteGreat tactic rpg in fantastic Shadowrun universe. Nice hero making possibility and without cheating You can really be whatever You want and it is also playable. Making Your own team can easily match the differences between classes. Pity it is not so long, but main plot is quite interesting and barely naive. Game absolutely necessary for every old timer rpg fan. Gameplay is good and quite rich. Graphics are great flowing in good sci-fi climate souse. Expand
  58. Oct 3, 2013
    A quite good game that has for sure the soul of the Shadowrun franchise. However, it is too repetitive to be fun for a long time, you don´t feel the impact your actions have on the sinister world, and there is literally no storytelling. In the end, I was entertained but disappointed.
  59. Oct 1, 2013
    I will not write anything new.
    OK game overall for 2, may be 3 runs. What I liked most about this game it reminded me of Fallout. Just for this nostalgia I give it score of 6.

Nice stage setup, nice story.

Very linear, very short. No drops and almost no loot.

$20 is a little too much for this game in my opinion.
  60. Sep 22, 2013
    10/10 that is my valuation. For an independent, Kickstarter-based game, it is a pure gem. The story is really involving, the mood is amazing, and of course the game-mechanics are also well-defined. It could be polished here-and-there, the graphics/animations could be better, some bugs were also present (not game breaking), but overall in its category this game is simply outstanding. I10/10 that is my valuation. For an independent, Kickstarter-based game, it is a pure gem. The story is really involving, the mood is amazing, and of course the game-mechanics are also well-defined. It could be polished here-and-there, the graphics/animations could be better, some bugs were also present (not game breaking), but overall in its category this game is simply outstanding. I recommend it to everybody, who loves cyberpunk, RPGs, turn-based strategy... Thank you, Harebrained Schemes (and Jordan Weisman) for creating this thrilling world+journey for me to escape everydays for a few days and nights:))) Expand
  61. Sep 22, 2013
    SR is probably slightly overrated at the moment as we are still coming out of a drought in the oldschool tactical RPG subgenre, leading reviewers to grade it on a bit of a curve simply because there are very few games like it at the moment. Ultimately, SR is a competent, but as yet unremarkable old-school RPG. Future patches and player content may bring more to the table.

Hopefully SR's

Hopefully SR's first effort will prove to be just the leading crest of a small wave in isometric oldschool RPGs, because by itself it is somewhat overwhelming.

Pros:
    -Great user mod tools.
    -Solid combat system, though you probably need to crank up the difficult to experience any challenge.
    -Strong atmosphere, reinforced by the consistent tone of the (generally competent) writing.

Cons:
    -Far too linear to be a true successor to the isometric RPG classics.
    -Save system can be inconvenient (though I personally was only trivially inconvenienced by it).

TBD:
    -Unclear if SR's community will be large and creative enough to supply interesting community content.
    -Harebrained Schemes has heard the most common critiques of the game regarding linearity, save system, length, etc., and the next campaign ("Berlin") will attempt to address them.
  62. Sep 20, 2013
    Horrible quality game. Inventory screen displays your gear differently depending on which NPC is used to open it. Gear of the same category have practically no diversity, you do not even get smart-link gear until the last mission. Matrix combat is horribly unbalanced, Pet types never have their main differences explained like if they are single use or not. Pets never show their abilitiesHorrible quality game. Inventory screen displays your gear differently depending on which NPC is used to open it. Gear of the same category have practically no diversity, you do not even get smart-link gear until the last mission. Matrix combat is horribly unbalanced, Pet types never have their main differences explained like if they are single use or not. Pets never show their abilities or stats until used which for some pets makes you use it up. No random missions to side quest with. No random matrix runs. I have found 1 complete side quest/job, just 1. Social Options do not seem to be randomized at all, you either have a stat and automatically get the NPC to do whatever you ask or you don't and you always fail. Sharing gear with allies means that they steal the gear and never return them. You can't give your allies better guns from your inventory even if they have empty slots to equip more.
    Immersion issues: "Burnt Out Mages" and some other NPCs have Cyberware yet unaffected 6 essence.
    My review is based on expected vs delivered and if I would recommend this to my family and friends, the answer is that I hope none of them waste their money on this game that is the worse I have seen any Shadowrun Product.
  63. Sep 20, 2013
    A pretty fun game, especially since I came in with no expectations. There's little replay value, as the game revolves around a couple mysteries that just cant hold my attention the second time around. Still, the system is fairly interesting, and combat is ok.
  64. Sep 20, 2013
    Great game, I've been waiting for a good turn based game for a while. A bit short, but free expansion is coming out soon! It's a bit slow at first, but then picks up. Story was alright, but could of been better.
  65. Sep 17, 2013
    The game is a lot of fun, and while it sacrifices a lot of the complexity and variation possible in the tabletop system, it makes for a functional PC game experience. The writing for the core campaign is excellent, and that combined with the game tilesets create an immersive world for the sprawl of 2050s Seattle. in a dystopian cyberpunk future run by feuding megacorps, street gangs, andThe game is a lot of fun, and while it sacrifices a lot of the complexity and variation possible in the tabletop system, it makes for a functional PC game experience. The writing for the core campaign is excellent, and that combined with the game tilesets create an immersive world for the sprawl of 2050s Seattle. in a dystopian cyberpunk future run by feuding megacorps, street gangs, and immortals.

The soundtrack is lively, a just jarring enough to keep you alert. The core campaign isn't unduly challenging, but isn't easy either, and good squad tactics become essential for the later missions.

The toolset that comes with the game is one of the stronger touted features, and a number of fans are already kicking out their own mods, with varying qualities of writing and encounters.

If you want to get a fun, fairly simple, and inexpensive RPG Shadowrun Returns provides good bang for your buck.
  66. Sep 12, 2013
    Please, before you consider buying this game view http://www.shadowrun.com/forums/categories/tech-corner, the tech support on the official forums.

This game is full of bugs. I purchased this game on steam on August 16th, and still can't play it because the 1.04 patch causes an access violation for some people. Unfortunately, this patch was released just before I purchased it (lucky me lol). To make things worse, an access violation is a programming error until the developer decides to patch this, I can't play it. I take C++ programming classes and have fiddled with games for years, so believe me when I say I've done everything to get the game to work. I sent an e-mail to the developers the day after I bought the game, over a month ago. They responded, saying they were aware of the problem and were working on it. I have bought games since the original NES, and I can deal with minor bugs. Heck, I enjoyed Alpha Protocol, and that was fairly buggy. But it is painfully obvious that this game (and recent patch) were barely tested.

This game gets a 0 based on the fact that when I buy a release version of a game I expect it to at the very least run. Even if I could get it to run, it would likely still score only a 3 based on all the other goofy bugs still present in it. I really need to check more tech support forums before I buy games.

Bottom line: Before you go and get this, do yourself a favor and check the tech support forum, then if you really still want this do not buy it for the listed $20 on steam, wait for a sale. And even then, don't pay over $5. Save that cash for saints row 4 or go get XCOM: Enemy Unknown if you need some turn based strategy.
  67. Sep 11, 2013
    I haven't had much to do with the Shadow run universe however this brought back fond memories of when an RPG was actually that, it told a story and it told it well.
    PROS
    -I didn't have any bugs with this game which was refreshing -Storyline was great -Map editor and community access greatly enhance a games capabilities, looking forward to the custom content and user content CONS
    PROS
    -I didn't have any bugs with this game which was refreshing
    -Storyline was great
    CONS
    -Seemed to easy to go down some character paths, this may be inline with the Shadowrun universe I don't know
    -Didn't seem to be any real outcomes from your decisions so from that perspective it seemed to linear

Good start in my opinion, i got my moneys worth.
  68. Sep 10, 2013
    So Shadowrun definitely has its shortcomings, but the game was so much fun that it's stuck in my head all of this time later. I keep listening to the soundtrack over, and over, and over.
    Honestly, while I was playing the game the save system was frustrating-but now, looking back, it added a certain realism and pulse-pounding edge to the battles. I recall escaping a couple of times by the skin of my teeth, and hanging onto the edge of my seat while doing it. The combat was great, and honestly, by making it so you can't just hit "redo", it encourages you to be more cautious and tactical, making it even more fun! Honestly, this review is mostly to refute the negative reaction to the save system.
    I played on a standard Windows 7 system a couple weeks after release and had no trouble with crashes or bugs.
  69. Sep 8, 2013
    Incredible game that is very entertaining with unlimited possibilities for free expansion. The story that comes with the game is written well, is entertaining, and decently long. The game mechanics are very well done and conform to the Shadowrun rule set while still being in the background so it doesn't get in the way or make the game feel limited. The price of the game at 20 bucks isIncredible game that is very entertaining with unlimited possibilities for free expansion. The story that comes with the game is written well, is entertaining, and decently long. The game mechanics are very well done and conform to the Shadowrun rule set while still being in the background so it doesn't get in the way or make the game feel limited. The price of the game at 20 bucks is well worth it, and I applaud the game makers for not trying to gouge loyal fans! I do have a few complaints about the game that stop it from being a perfect 10. 1. The graphics could be a little better, but they aren't horrible for a top down strategy game. 2. The ability to rotate the screen to see different angles would be a welcome addition. Seeing everything in one angle is highly annoying and seems very limited and dated. 3. For the love of God, FIX THE SAVE GAME SYSTEM. This is my biggest complaint. It does not make sense, and seems pointless as you can only load from the start of missions anyway. The "copy" save games is buried in the load game screen for some reason, and it doesn't really even do anything. Either make it more traditional so we can save whenever we want, or make it more user friendly and explain how in the world it's supposed to work! Can't wait for new story content that is complete and works by the community! Expand
  70. Sep 7, 2013
    I am a bit torn about that game. I love the art-style, i liked the combat. I did not like the non existent voice acting AT FIRST but i got used to it. The storytelling writing was very good in the vanilla campaign. It felt like the game focused a bit too much on combat though you were rewarded for having skills outside of combat, but you simply HAD to have combat skills. i do not knowI am a bit torn about that game. I love the art-style, i liked the combat. I did not like the non existent voice acting AT FIRST but i got used to it. The storytelling writing was very good in the vanilla campaign. It felt like the game focused a bit too much on combat though you were rewarded for having skills outside of combat, but you simply HAD to have combat skills. i do not know if that is a trademark of the Shadowrun franchise though, because i have not played other SR games )

Adding an editor is a great thing and will do much for the modding community. I would have liked a "little" more character fidelity. We identify ourselves with the character in a RPG and while the game graphics were nice, the i would have liked to have an up sized, detailed char of myself. (yes, that is a very important feature for me in a RPG)

by the end of the vanilla campaign the game felt a bit more like a tactical Diablo and it was also too short by FAR. When i beat the game it felt like i had finished act 1 out of 4 but not the entire game.
  71. Sep 4, 2013
    I love the Shadowrun world and therefor would have loved to have given this game a 10 but I felt the strategy aspect could have been highlighted a bit better. I've played a ton of strategy games and this didn't really make me stop to think about what I had do to win, just sort of push this way or duck behind that. That being said, the included story has wonderful characters that are reallyI love the Shadowrun world and therefor would have loved to have given this game a 10 but I felt the strategy aspect could have been highlighted a bit better. I've played a ton of strategy games and this didn't really make me stop to think about what I had do to win, just sort of push this way or duck behind that. That being said, the included story has wonderful characters that are really memorable. It's actually more than I expected it to be and (bonus) is true to the Shadowrun canon. The editor, and the user generated content just mean you don't have to stop or play the same story over, over and over again, like most games. Overall, great game with lots of drek to do. Expand
  72. i0n
    Sep 4, 2013
    Overall a very disappointing title despite the humble purchase price.

Engaging storyline and intricate setting is strangled to death by a flat and awkward combat/movement system, convoluted user interface, entirely linear gameplay and clunky mechanics. It felt as though I was stepping back in time about two decades, but without any of the nostalgia. The only positive I can offer is
    Overall a very disappointing title despite the humble purchase price.

The only positive I can offer is that the provided campaign wasn't any longer than it's humble 10-15 hour play time, as I found myself gritting my teeth in frustration by about half way through. The strategy component was virtually non-existent and the gameplay most tedious.

I really wanted to like this title particularly as the setting happens to be one of my favourite genres but it was genuinely difficult to find any redeeming features.

Regretful of this purchase.
  73. Sep 2, 2013
    Really great story and interesting characters even if they are a bit archetypal. Definitely worth the low price tag. Bonus points for shipping with a massive campaign editor. The single launch campaign seems to just be skimming the surface of a massive world that leaves you craving more.
  74. Aug 31, 2013
    This is a fantastic game, It feels like a classic Table Top game, If you like RPG Table Top this is without a doubt the game for you, it's also Punk ^_^ who doesn't like PUNK!! great game keep it coming.
  75. Aug 30, 2013
    The Shadowrun Universe is, hands down, one of the most entertaining and well-developed settings you could hope for in a game, and Shadowrun Returns hits most of the high-notes. A game designed around an editor (rather than a editor derived from a game) makes future quality content by the "mod" community all but assured. Some game-design choices give the sense that a larger budget couldThe Shadowrun Universe is, hands down, one of the most entertaining and well-developed settings you could hope for in a game, and Shadowrun Returns hits most of the high-notes. A game designed around an editor (rather than a editor derived from a game) makes future quality content by the "mod" community all but assured. Some game-design choices give the sense that a larger budget could have helped (the save-game system precludes easily saving "anywhere" but instead relies on linear checkpoints). But given the low initial price ($19.99 USD), the game feels fairly-priced, with room to grow. A great game for RPG fans. Expand
  76. Aug 28, 2013
    Shadowrun Returns is a HUGE leap forward for games in the Role-playing genre. Not for it's gameplay, which is fairly generic turn based tactical combat, but in the fact that it is shipped with the same editor the creators of the game used to make it. No modding is required to add your own content, just some time and patience.

If you are not into creating your own stories for others to

If you are not into creating your own stories for others to enjoy then the upside of this is the fact that there are hundreds, if not more, people who love to craft stories for you to enjoy. It is possible for each and every person to craft professional-level campaigns using the level editor and a bit of imagination.

The actual gameplay is fairly generic, however. Out of combat there is a lot of talking and searching and once combat is engaged it switches to a turn-based tactical game. There are a decent amount of equipment with the ability to create more in the editor and you can build your character however you wish. It scratches an itch that most RPGs on the market can't, and that is depth. If you find a story that is written well, then this game can provide you with a satisfied feeling that even big budget RPGs like Skyrim cannot.

I highly recommend this game to anyone who enjoys playing RPGs and even more to anyone who enjoys creating content that can and will be enjoyed by a wide range of people.
  77. Aug 26, 2013
    An absolute classic as far as I'm concerned and a unique experience among modern games (at least as far as the story and setting is concerned). Great multi-faceted storyline with equal or more "weight" than most other RPGs and simple overall gameplay that is nonetheless nuanced enough to always be fresh, entertaining, and strategically-challenging as you level up your character and planAn absolute classic as far as I'm concerned and a unique experience among modern games (at least as far as the story and setting is concerned). Great multi-faceted storyline with equal or more "weight" than most other RPGs and simple overall gameplay that is nonetheless nuanced enough to always be fresh, entertaining, and strategically-challenging as you level up your character and plan for each next battle.

Somewhat rough around the edges, though: Combat can be merciless (depending on your difficulty setting personally I played the given campaign on the highest difficulty) if you don't pay attention to the flow of each battle and it can drag on a bit at times as well, especially if you die; dying will piss you off due to the auto-save mechanic that uses zone saves rather than saving dynamically between encounters. However, even though I played in the maximum difficulty, I didn't die often, since dying is frustrating enough that it forces you to think about what you're doing during combat (which works for most situations, unless you get exceptionally unlucky during a tough fight or forget to stock up on plenty of healing and rezzes or invest in healer before heading into a combat section).

The story is amazing, but like the combat it expects you to pay close attention to it to follow what's going on. Also the game is fairly linear for an RPG; though the engine definitely allows for more elaborate things than it shows in the given campaign, the choices you make in it (composed mostly of dialogue) give you little more than money-rewarding (or money-saving) and combat-skirting alternate routes. Other than that... occasional typos in dialogue and other text will make you do a double-take, but aren't terrible enough to make anything illegible; you may notice various logic gaps in the story (though without a second play-through, it's hard to tell if I just wasn't paying enough attention at key moments), and at times your character might seem to be solving the mystery of the story before you, or with seemingly little evidence to go on; the story escalates in scope jarringly fast at times and focuses too little on each new revelation and also explains it far summarily (though perhaps this is to be subtle and/or entice you to research the Shadowrun table-top setting on your own, as I did).

!!SUMMARY!! A somewhat less epic (or perhaps "abridged") bleak futuristic guns-and-sorcery version of Baldur's Gate II that mixes (for the most part, successfully) 1 part intriguing real world sociopolitical elements and 2 parts real world mysticism and Dungeons-&-Dragons-style high fantasy... with all the expected interactive trimmings (dialogue, items, some puzzles, etc.) of a classic turn-based RPG and a fun but arguably deceptively simple combat system to boot.

(8.9 10)
  78. Aug 25, 2013
    Love it. Been waiting for a modern Shadowrun game for ages. The campaign they give you was entertaining and a decent intro to what the editor is capable of. There are people making noise because they didn't care for the campaign that came with it and there are not a lot user-generated campaigns to play yet. What the game editor is capable of is very much worth being a little patient andLove it. Been waiting for a modern Shadowrun game for ages. The campaign they give you was entertaining and a decent intro to what the editor is capable of. There are people making noise because they didn't care for the campaign that came with it and there are not a lot user-generated campaigns to play yet. What the game editor is capable of is very much worth being a little patient and worth tinkering with yourself. Expand
  79. Aug 25, 2013
    It's a very good game, that brings back unique RPG mixing science and magic in dark futuristic setting. Shadowrun Returns is a worthy successor to it's predecessors with very fun and addictive gameplay.
  80. Aug 23, 2013
    Shadowrun Returns is great old school RPG gaming period. While I have seen some complaints of graphics, storyline, etc for a gaming nerd such as myself it's a great trip back to the days of all night campaign sessions and bad jokes.

With the custom editor and material already becoming available, I see a lot of potential for those of us wanting more than FPS killing sprees or RPGs that to be quite frank, are not.
  81. Aug 22, 2013
    Never played the original, but thought it had a decent story-line, was engaging enough (though not overly strategic). Environments were pretty cool as well. UI could use some tweaks as mentioned in other comments but wasn't THAT bad.
  82. Aug 22, 2013
    The base game and general idea of everything in Shadowrun Returns is well made, but the developers made the main campaign feel very lacking. Currently, it is up to the community to make excellent game content, which should never be the case.
  83. Aug 22, 2013
    As a long time fan of the western RPG genre, and a man who has replayed titles such as Fallout 1 and it's sequel, Arcanum, and Baldurs Gate over and over again, I see this game as a poor attempt at a game.

How is it that games that came a long time ago could offer a more sophisticated playing experience than this game is beyond me. No save feature made me have to go through the same uninspired dialogue options over multiple times, only to realize it didn't matter which one I picked. The game is on rails and makes no attempt at disguising the fact.

You can tell an NPC that "you want to", "sort of want to", or "have no choice" when presented with a quest, which makes the entire role playing segments devoid of meaning. It matters little who you are when an entirely different person would have done the same. Expect no replayability from this one.

Also, one cannot simply copy the modern reincarnation of X-COM's battle system, dumb it down, and expect a great final product. Whenever you fight anyone and anything in this game, prepare yourself to be dulled; it takes an obscene amount of time to complete an action, the hit and miss percentages are broken, and the animations are some of the more horrid I have seen since 2002.

However, this game has a great feature that most of the reviewers seem to miss; if you go to the game folder, there seems to be an application near the tool-set named "uninstall". Click on it, and pour yourself a five of gin. Just forget this game ever happened.
  84. Aug 21, 2013
    Delivered precisely what I wanted from them.

Is it short? Yes. Are the tactical options somewhat limited? Yes. Is the tactical iso combat frustrating and unintuitive at points? Absolute.

But did it capture the essential flavor of the original SNES and Genesis game? Yes! Is it a decent tactical turn based squad game? Yes. Is the story better than 90% of games out there? Very much so.
  85. Aug 20, 2013
    Good: Though I didn't finish the game, the plot seemed pretty well written. Bad: Tactics and saving. It's turn-based combat, but flanking or other combat tactics are not supported. Strat is, try to hide behind something, and blast away. The result is that the frustration of the random number generator builds with every enemy turn. Worse though, is the restricted saves that ruin theGood: Though I didn't finish the game, the plot seemed pretty well written. Bad: Tactics and saving. It's turn-based combat, but flanking or other combat tactics are not supported. Strat is, try to hide behind something, and blast away. The result is that the frustration of the random number generator builds with every enemy turn. Worse though, is the restricted saves that ruin the experience. I don't want to spend an hour getting 80% through a level only to die and have to start over. Sorry, fail. I put up with it for quite a while, 17 hours according to Steam, but in the end, too much frustration to "restart level" once more. Expand
  86. 19x
    Aug 19, 2013
    Looks and plays like a 10 year old PC game you would find in a bargain bin.

Absolutely no variety in combat. Guns, magic, and the matrix all play the same way. The "Matrix" is the same combat system as the real world. Programs are spells, the bad guys are ICE. To call this game tactical is a joke. Combat plays like a boxing match I hit you hit me. No need to position your
    Looks and plays like a 10 year old PC game you would find in a bargain bin.

To call this game tactical is a joke. Combat plays like a boxing match I hit you hit me. No need to position your team. Weapon choices matter little. Shotguns are effective from across the room

The interface is point and click, but it struggles to work correctly. Often failing to find the click point of a item or a target. The entire game feels slow. Moving your character, going from rooms to room, feels slow.

Really sad the bench mark for this game is a 1994 SNES or a 1995 Gensis game, and shadow runs returns fails to surpass it.
  87. Aug 19, 2013
    Returned, but should have stayed buried. The originals were much more open-ended, had better save systems. No ammo? Pointless skills abound. Defenders keep talking about future player made content, but so what? We'll maybe get 1 or 2 stories that are worth playing..no to mention this isnt a rpg maker software, it is sold as a game
  88. Vel
    Aug 17, 2013
    A great amount of potential for combining storytelling and the feel of the original shadowrun universe, the content simply isn't there yet. You can't spend $20 on the current short storyline, which only takes a few hours to complete and has little to no replay value. Once more content is created and comes out, it has potential to be a great buy, but now it just lacks too much.
  89. Aug 16, 2013
    Shadowrun Returns is a good game if you like older CRPGs like Baldur's Gate or Fallout 1 and worth checking out, especially as UGC begins to come out. It may not have the flashy graphics of a TES V: Skyrim, but SRR frankly doesn't need them. My only issue with the graphics are the character models, which look generally ugly. Here is certainly room from improvement. The storytelling isShadowrun Returns is a good game if you like older CRPGs like Baldur's Gate or Fallout 1 and worth checking out, especially as UGC begins to come out. It may not have the flashy graphics of a TES V: Skyrim, but SRR frankly doesn't need them. My only issue with the graphics are the character models, which look generally ugly. Here is certainly room from improvement. The storytelling is great, though highly linear and the story is a bit short.
    A big plus is the game's editor, which is quite powerful and while not as userfriendly as the Aurora toolset (NWN 1), it's far from being unwieldy.

The game's main issue is the utterly horrid save game system that allows for auto-saves only and those occur only upon a map change. This is something the developer will have to look into.
  90. Aug 16, 2013
    Love the setting, love the look, love the gameplay. My only complaints are that its a little short and a little buggy. Neither of which should put you off snapping it up. Its well worth your time & money.

Plus with the Berlin expansion and community created content I reckon there's a lot of mileage left.
  91. Aug 16, 2013
    Not huge, but pretty. Way better than a lot of the other games being offered by kickstarted publishers.

Here is another sentence to get it to 150 characters,
  92. Aug 15, 2013
    I enjoyed the p&p game many years ago. This looked like it might be an interesting revisit so I took a gamble buying it. I was a little disappointed. The graphics and effects are pretty mundane, the tactical system fairly awkward and controls prosaic (not as good as Xcom for example) the camera limited to a single isometric view, the tailoring of your character extremely limited, theI enjoyed the p&p game many years ago. This looked like it might be an interesting revisit so I took a gamble buying it. I was a little disappointed. The graphics and effects are pretty mundane, the tactical system fairly awkward and controls prosaic (not as good as Xcom for example) the camera limited to a single isometric view, the tailoring of your character extremely limited, the environment, okay, but with very limited space you can access. The game also lacks the multi-player capacity you might expect, so is essentially a platform for individuals to play solo through DLC/user generated Shadowruns.

It's perhaps most like Neverwinter Nights 1, yet lacks that old classics depth or variety. Saying that it might well improve as user content develops (which was what made NWN1 so special). I appreciate it is an indie title and a labour of love, yet I feel slightly ripped off for my £14. It would have felt fairer to pay between £5 to £8. On the plus side, I think it should run okay on low spec computer and so allow many fans who aren't necessarily computer fans to take part.

May dip into playing it once in a while...
  93. Aug 15, 2013
    I played and loved the tabletop games, as well as the games on the SNES and Genesis. While the game does have its rough patches, it does maintain the spirit of the games, showing the diversity that is core of the Sixth World. The character creation is ok, but I would have loved more customization options. Likewise, the campaign is short, only about 8 to 11 hours when it could have beenI played and loved the tabletop games, as well as the games on the SNES and Genesis. While the game does have its rough patches, it does maintain the spirit of the games, showing the diversity that is core of the Sixth World. The character creation is ok, but I would have loved more customization options. Likewise, the campaign is short, only about 8 to 11 hours when it could have been expanded quite more. Also, unlike the old console games, there are no side missions that would allow you to build up nuyen and equipment.
    In all, a good game that will improve with user generated content.
  94. Aug 15, 2013
    I LOVE the Shadowrun universe and have been a fan for 18 years, but turn-based combat should be left for the pen and paper, it is tedious and boring as a video game; We have the ability to bake in those mechanics into the code. (ex. instead of AP and movement space, you can create action timers and movement speeds to create real-time combat that reflect if a character is fast or slow,I LOVE the Shadowrun universe and have been a fan for 18 years, but turn-based combat should be left for the pen and paper, it is tedious and boring as a video game; We have the ability to bake in those mechanics into the code. (ex. instead of AP and movement space, you can create action timers and movement speeds to create real-time combat that reflect if a character is fast or slow, clumsy or nimble, etc.). Please don't make me suffer through 10 minutes of a gunfight that should take 30 seconds.

I really would have enjoyed the game more if it had been built more like the open-world action RPG that was launched for the Sega Genesis wayyy back in 94'. The depth of the character level-up system, the endless amount of runs, the ability to just surf through the Matrix whenever, hiring a dedicated team of runners and specializing them....it is actually the reason I started playing the pen and paper version! Alas, there is none of that to be found in this title.

Also, the storyline was incredibly linear (although very well done), and I felt like I was just clicking here and there to advance a story book rather than playing a game and controlling the outcome. There were extremely few ways to earn extra money or karma, and since the enemies just kept scaling I didn't feel like I was "preparing" for the next big challenge, I more felt like I was just spending karma to "keep up" with where the storyline was forcing me to go. I even got in trouble sometimes because I would spend karma incorrectly or not hire enough runners, trying to save up for goodies, only to get stuck because I couldn't go back once I had traveled to the next location for the storyline. I even had to start over once because of it. Horrible gameplay mechanics.

The Matrix was pretty lackluster as well, it was just too easy to get done what you needed to in the Matrix. Both the pen and paper and action-RPG version of Shadowrun turned the Matrix into a place exclusively for deckers, that was challenging and required a ton of specialization to use correctly, but was extremely rewarding to master if you did. In this title, you are hand-held through the "mandatory" Matrix runs and don't really benefit from spending points in it. The lingo is dumbed down to appeal to the masses instead of retaining some of its true-to-life computer terminology. Combating IC is just as boring as regular combat. It was just a huge letdown, especially since I use the decker class in other Shadowrun games.

Lastly, I have to nag on the graphics. They were just WAY too cartoon-ish. The Shadowrun universe is dark and scary, full of seedy characters and dangerous creatures, and leaves you feeling uneasy about doing the simplest things, similar to the vibes of Diablo. I think even a small child would have difficulty feeling scared or nervous with how it is illustrated currently.

I really wanted this game to succeed, because it could lead to better Shadowrun titles in the future that fix all the problems with this one, but I highly doubt that the public will give it another go after 2 botched games in a row for the Shadowrun series. Harebrained might have buried the series once and for all
  95. Aug 15, 2013
    Very good RPG with nice atmospheric environment, music,dialogues and scenario. If it was just a bit more refined it would remind me of Planescape Torment. Waiting for expansion packs that will deliver it's full potential.
  96. Aug 14, 2013
    Backed this on Kickstarter the moment it was announced, really hoping for something special. What I got was an over short tablet game, with occasional moments of near goodness being drowned out in a sea of bland. As other reviewers have pointed out the campaign suffers from a ridiculous amount of linearity, the save game system is poorly spaced checkpoint nonsense, and I wish they had putBacked this on Kickstarter the moment it was announced, really hoping for something special. What I got was an over short tablet game, with occasional moments of near goodness being drowned out in a sea of bland. As other reviewers have pointed out the campaign suffers from a ridiculous amount of linearity, the save game system is poorly spaced checkpoint nonsense, and I wish they had put half as much effort into character models and portraits as they did into the rendered backdrops.

All of these problems should be fixable, and certainly they could turn around everything I dislike about the game in a good expansion pack/dlc campaign.But the game as it was released is a 4/10.
  97. Aug 13, 2013
    A very solid game that echoes of Baldur's Gate 1 and old school console RPG's.

A very solid game that echoes of Baldur's Gate 1 and old school console RPG's.

The checkpoint system may seem intimidating at first, but the game saves after every room so not much time is lost if you die. It actually brings back that sense of tension you get from playing the old console RPG's that isn't as tangible with the save-anywhere system we're all so used to abusing. The game's also pretty forgiving with regards to character building as good tactical play and intelligent item usage can carry you through most situations. So again, the lack of a save-anywhere system doesn't make much of an impact.

The major flaws in the game are its relatively short length and linearity. The linearity of the game is somewhat alleviated by a well-paced narrative, but the length is a sore point as the game seems to end right after you've grown attached to the world and its characters. That said, for a $20 game, 15-20 hours of solid gameplay is very reasonable, and that's not counting the user-generated content.

I came into the experience with a lot of doubts, but after giving the game a chance, I can say I'm fairly impressed. All-in-all, if you appreciate the kind of gameplay that older generations have enjoyed, then don't hesitate and give it a try!
  98. Aug 13, 2013
    There is no way this game deserves an average rating of 7.6. Sooo many gushy reviews by fanboys. At best, this game is average, and I don't think it even reaches that high.

I was a fan of the original SNES shadowrun game myself, so I was somewhat excited about this one. The SNES game was dark, edgy, could be intense, and fun. This game, in contrast, is a real snoozer. You're literally tasked with reading a novel 90% of the time with mediocre gameplay for the remaining 10%.

That's all this game is: it is a slightly interactive choose-your-own-adventure storybook. Except in those storybooks your choices actually matter unlike this game! And I'm sorry, this story in Shadowrun Returns is terrible. It's corny and cheesy. if you think the story in this game is actually good, you lead a very sheltered life, and you probably masturbate to anime pr0n.

The game has high production quality as far as graphics, but the game is just not any fun at all to play. I would've much rather had a shadowrun game with crap graphics that is 80-90% action and fun to play than this turd. Overall this game is a complete disappointment and a failure. I couldn't even finish it and I have no desire to do so.
  99. Aug 13, 2013
    Rating: 7.0 I paid $18 and enjoyed this game. The learning curve is low enough for anyone to get a good start and the rpg elements are light. The quality of artwork on the environment was great, but lacking for the player models. There is a lot of writing and it does a good job at creating atmosphere and setting the mood; At the same time the writing also makes characters feelRating: 7.0 I paid $18 and enjoyed this game. The learning curve is low enough for anyone to get a good start and the rpg elements are light. The quality of artwork on the environment was great, but lacking for the player models. There is a lot of writing and it does a good job at creating atmosphere and setting the mood; At the same time the writing also makes characters feel unbelievable, placed and paper-thin. They are there only to provide a service or to help you move along. Shadowrun Returns is simple yet solid; The included editor gives the community a great set of content to expand on. Expand
  100. Aug 12, 2013
    The game is most closely related to classic Fallouts. It has much of the same mix of RPG and squad combat elements. I agree with most of other reviewers: it's not especially great, but entertaining enough. I kinda liked the story, even if it was completely linear. I guess for me biggest plus of this game is there was no games of this kind for years, and I used to like them back in the day.
  101. Jul 25, 2013
    An amazing game living up to the Shadowrun name. If you weren't a fan of the series before you should be now. Beautiful artwork and great tactical strategy elements mixed with true Shadowrun RPG style. Also the ability to create your own complete runs adds INFINITE possibilities.

This game has SERIOUS superior re-playability

1. Oct 5, 2013
    Shadowrun Returns is a bit more simplistic than I had hoped for, but at the same time it is not bad at all. [Sept 2013]
  2. Sep 13, 2013
    Shadowrun Returns is a faithful reinterpretation (and in a vague sense, sequel) to the SNES game from 20 years ago, maybe a bit too faithful. Though most aspects of the the wild and unruly Shadowrun world is included, the promise of this game lies more in the open embrace of the mod community than the included adventure.
  3. Sep 10, 2013
    Shadowrun Returns will probably please most fans if perhaps not blow anyone out of the water. The campaign is well written and serves as a good introduction for new players. The variety in combat and character creation and dialogue options is great but suffers from a badly implemented autosave system. With lots of new campaigns on the horizon Shadowrun Returns is well worth keeping an eye on.