6.8

1. Jul 23, 2011
    NOTE: This is a PC game intended to be played using a Controller. (Game Pad)

Reviewers need to stop giving this game a low rating simply because they can't follow directions to use a Game Pad. This game is intended to be played using a Game controller which can be purchased for $15 bucks almost anyplace. This is a great hack and slash side scrolling game and the closet you can get to
    being in an action thrash and slash cartoon. Great if you want to let off steam and hack away, or enjoy long play times as well. The cartoon style graphics are a breath of fresh air and very pleasing, and features tons of combos, weapons and moves, but can also be played effectively using one or two moves. So pick your style and have fun!

Remember, this game is intended for use with a Game PAD! GET ONE! The keyboard is not recommended by me or the developer.
  2. Nov 26, 2011
    THis is a great game, full of action, full of weapons and full of blood. Great Beat 'em up like the ones we had in the past, but with newer graphics.

Sorry about my english.... i'm a spanish speaker
  3. Jun 4, 2012
    Shank presents well-developed, visceral, beat-em-up goodness in a crystal clear cartoon. A standard revenge story is blown completely out of proportion with a gritty, dark setting chalk full of ridiculously over-the-top muscle-bound brutes. It's awesome, especially since co-op mode doubles things up!

Classic beat-em-up gameplay gets refined through simple, intuitive controls, multiple
    weapons and pickups and challenging boss battles. Acquiring the best weapon (katana) resulted in a drop in difficulty curve, as simply tapping the "leap" attack would guarantee a kill. Length is not a strong point either, as it took 7h to beat both co-op and normal single player. Hard-mode is still an available challenge, but proves to be too much of a hassle because checkpoints are removed.

For an indie game, Shank is surprisingly a lot of fun to play. It shows that the extinct Beat-em-up genre can still be fun in modern times. Highly recommended if you like this basic type of arcade game, or simply want a good co-op game!
  4. May 22, 2011
    Tremendously entertaining, complete with breathtaking cartoony visuals and a true love for the Tarantino/Rodriguez universe of sleazy revenge. A love letter to anyone who grew up on 80's goodness.
  5. Jan 9, 2012
    Great game, well worth what I paid for it (I got in the humble indie bundle). It's a beat-em-up in the style of Streets of Rage with some interesting twists regarding combos and weapons. There's some platforming as well, but nothing that would deter too much from the action of the game. I didn't get a chance to play the local coop, but it looked fun. The graphics are excellent and the weapons are interesting. Some of the enemies are a bit annoying (dogs for example) but I guess you could say that about any game. All of the bosses were interesting, each of which had tricks to defeat. On normal it took me about 4 hours to complete and I enjoyed it the entire time. There are unlockable skins and a hard difficulty for those wanting a challenge akin to classic games. My only complaints are the controls felt a bit off at first (but I warmed up after awhile) and the music was really bad. I turned off the music halfway through and put on a more fitting heavy metal playlist which fixed that though. Overall one of the better indie titles out there. Expand
  6. May 23, 2012
    Incredible graphics with a final fight or double dragon old school mix. Its like quentin tarantino directed the game. I hear there is a sequel, looking that up. A controller makes this game.
  7. Jun 29, 2013
    Awesome 2d combat game! Much better than Metal Slug and his variants. The story is short but good, the combat is pretty much variable and you can cycle between guns, heavy weapons and your knifes. You collect more weapons for as much as you play. You can finish your enemies in multiple ways. I definitely recomend this game!

1. Jan 31, 2011
    Shank may sound like the best game in the world, but in reality all its virtues are undermined by a fatal flaw – it's way too simple.
  2. Jan 20, 2011
    Shank is a visually attractive but completely shallow excuse for a 2D brawler game. Frustrating combat doesn't help.
  3. Dec 30, 2010
    Shank - like the hero - is a pleasure to watch, but there's not much going on inside. [Jan 2010, p.64]