Shattered Haven PC

6.9

1. Apr 8, 2013
    This might be a game that takes a while to hit its stride, but what I played in three hours really didn't inspire me to keep going.

The biggest offender were the hit and miss puzzles. There were a couple I enjoyed, but for the most part I felt like I was going through the motions, and at worst they were either tedious or full of wasted space due to the sheer amount of tiles the game throws on screen at once. But really the big issue is that I never had to stop and think about what I was doing at all, and that's the whole point of a puzzle game, isn't it?

The severity of the story and setting also feels really out of place in very gamey 2D puzzler. I know I'm supposed to be looking for my kids and all, but it feels like if Pacman had cutscenes telling you it was all a somber allegory for eating disorders. I just can't take it seriously at all.

The music was surprisingly awesome though. There were a couple tracks that sounded kind of unfinished, but I'd probably pick up the soundtrack if it came out.

Again, the game might get interesting later on, but if a simple puzzle game can't hook me in a couple hours I'm just not interested.

1. PC Gamer UK
    May 31, 2013
    A bountiful adventure game with a lot of personality, but one that suffers from its own ambition. [June 2013, p.82]
  2. Apr 1, 2013
    Shattered Haven's inert levels and unwillingness to let you naturally learn obscure its more brilliant moments.
  3. Apr 1, 2013
    Overall, Shattered Haven is a decent game for its low price. It features a standard narrative with a few twists and turns to keep things interesting.