Sid Meier's Civilization III PC

8.4

1. PingSquirrel
    Mar 13, 2009
    When I purchased this game, I was looking forward to it. I can recount the time I have spent playing Civ II with my friends and just having a glorious time of it. Then, I got to this. I don't know what happened. The corruption is stifling, no matter the government you choose, the combat seemed lack luster at best, and the AI did all it could to abuse the cultural boundaries. In When I purchased this game, I was looking forward to it. I can recount the time I have spent playing Civ II with my friends and just having a glorious time of it. Then, I got to this. I don't know what happened. The corruption is stifling, no matter the government you choose, the combat seemed lack luster at best, and the AI did all it could to abuse the cultural boundaries. In short, it felt like this installment was a test for ideas for Civ IV. If you like it, more power to you, but it just feels like it was released incomplete. Feel free to skip over it to the far more enjoyable Civ IV, Expand
  2. YM
    Aug 1, 2007
    An at first addictive game, but the absurdity of losing a battle between tanks and bronze welding warriors. Not to mention taking a couple of hundred years to sail around the world.
  3. RickyW.
    May 10, 2007
    Not good i hate this game i have tanks losing fights to archers they worst game ever.
  4. KevinH.
    Jul 6, 2004
    This game was a complete disappointment. Get SMAC instead.
  5. DeuxexMachina
    Dec 4, 2002
    The game is tedious in actual play, and this comes from someone who LOVED Civ2 and SMAC. The frequent patches to lower corruption and make wining possible at the higher difficulty setting prove the game was not adequately play tested. Even Civ2 had wonder movies, but not Civ3! The nationalities are not much varried. Espionage is too expensive and too limited to be any fun. The most The game is tedious in actual play, and this comes from someone who LOVED Civ2 and SMAC. The frequent patches to lower corruption and make wining possible at the higher difficulty setting prove the game was not adequately play tested. Even Civ2 had wonder movies, but not Civ3! The nationalities are not much varried. Espionage is too expensive and too limited to be any fun. The most disappointing game I have ever purchased. Expand
  6. CivFan
    Nov 10, 2002
    I loved Civ 2, too bad I had to learn to loathe this one. Flawed gameplay, bugs, clumsy interface. No big hit, just a big piece of sh.t.
  7. CivFreak
    Jul 14, 2002
    Compared to the other games in this series, it sucks. There are no scenarios that come with the game and it is exactly the same as the secound installment (without the cool scenarios).

1. If you're a fan of the series or of the genre, then I can readily recommend picking up Civilization III -- just keep in mind that it may not be all you expected, especially later in the game.
  2. Computer Gaming World
    It was difficult to write this review, because each time I started the game to check on some detail, six hours mysteriously vanished. [Jan 2002, p.92]
  3. Complex combat, climbing the tech tree, and resource management (commonly found in RTS games) make Civ III a deep strategy game – far beyond a simple Simulation game.