Sid Meier's Civilization III PC

8.4

1. Nov 26, 2016
    A great strategy game made mediocre by luck. There were matches I lost simply from bad luck. When your units fight, a calculation is made based on their stats, the land they are on, who is attacking versus defending. Much of the time my chances of winning a fight were 66% or higher but I frequently lost those fights. It is frustrating to work hard to gain superior technology to anotherA great strategy game made mediocre by luck. There were matches I lost simply from bad luck. When your units fight, a calculation is made based on their stats, the land they are on, who is attacking versus defending. Much of the time my chances of winning a fight were 66% or higher but I frequently lost those fights. It is frustrating to work hard to gain superior technology to another civilization only to lose what should be a winning fight. Even playing on the easiest difficulty isn't very easy.

That said, the game looks good (for 2001), has compelling history and scenarios, interesting micromanagement of cities, and great diplomacy interactions. I very frequently found myself completely immersed in a match, always pressing for the next turn or my next big move. So much so that I forgot to eat sometimes!

Bought the Complete Edition on steam sale for $1.24, played 80 hours, recommended.
  2. May 16, 2016
    I would have to say this game, overall is great. The only main complaint I have with it is that you can have an infinite amount off units on one tile, as the AI tends to always produce so many units. It can be really annoying if you don't have animations turned off.
  3. Jul 22, 2015
    Ciiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiv!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  4. Feb 18, 2014
    It's a great strategic 4x game, nice graphics and very addictive gameplay. That 'one more turn' thing appears almost at the very beginning. It's definitely a must play.
  5. Jun 15, 2013
    This game requires a MASSIVE learning curve for people who haven't played Civilization before, but for the people who have played before, it's a fun and deep game.
  6. Dec 30, 2012
    Not particuarly great. It does have colonies, which I love, but it is too expansive for me. Combat is annoying due to one unit who fights is destroyed. The scenarios, however, I enjoy! Once again, numbers required to win pisses me off! I like doing it germany through russia style!
  7. Jan 2, 2012
    A fun game that you will want too keep playing even though your AI opponents seem to be able too accomplish feats you would never be able too. The graphics are good and the user interface has been improved. But still the game play is not as good as Civ II.
  8. Dec 20, 2011
    Well if you haven't already got this game don't get it, instead get Civ II or Civ IV both of which are light years better than this bargain bin game. This is basically a 2nd release of Civ II but with more bugs, still isn't "horrible" but it's a waste of money when you can just get Civ II. My ranking of the civilization series
    Civ IV (95/100)
    Civ II (92/100) Civ I (88/100) Civ V (76/100)
    Civ IV (95/100)
    Civ II (92/100)
    Civ I (88/100)
    Civ V (76/100)
    Civ III (54/100)
  9. Nov 2, 2011
    Good game. Great scenario editor for non-coders. Civ IV is more customizable, but it requires more of a coder mentality (and optimally, be a coder that is willing to code outside of work). Great game for those with older computers (5-8 years old).
  10. Sep 1, 2011
    Without doubt my favourite installment within the Civilization franchise.

The fact that almost a decade after it still sucks me in like the first day is a testament to its ever lasting appeal. You only know when you start a game but you never know when you'll put it down or finish it; it's just so addictive unlike Civ V which has no lasting appeal. For me Civ 3 felt like digital chess.
    Without doubt my favourite installment within the Civilization franchise.

For me Civ 3 felt like digital chess. It's a game that has you continually thinking what your next moves will be and rewards handsomely forward-thinking and carefully planning ahead. I even like the graphics which are not as cartoonish as Civ IV. Along with Brian Reynold's Alpha Centauri, Civ 3 is my all-time favourite game. The amounts of hours I've poured into it can be tallied by the thousands.

If you like 4X TBS games you owe it to yourself to play this classic. The Conquests expansion infused new life by way of historic scenarios which are fleshed out very nicely. Special mention goes to Rise of Rome and the Napoleon scenario where you relive the glory and bloodshed of the lost Empires. Civ IV has overshadowed its predecessor significantly but Civ 3 will always have a place in my heart and harddrive and I return to it at least twice a year.
  11. May 24, 2011
    To date, this is my favorite game hands down. You have the freedom to expand how you want. Will you win by military domination? Will you win by scientific development or a cultural victory? Will you win through political intrigue? You decide! This is by far one of the best games I've played. While graphics aren't the best when compared to modern games, it is an excellent game for those whoTo date, this is my favorite game hands down. You have the freedom to expand how you want. Will you win by military domination? Will you win by scientific development or a cultural victory? Will you win through political intrigue? You decide! This is by far one of the best games I've played. While graphics aren't the best when compared to modern games, it is an excellent game for those who wish to focus on the overall campaign instead of individual battles or graphics. To date, this is the only game I've played throughout the night and into the early hours of the morning. This game was definitely an epic win for Sid Meyers. The biggest problem with the game is the lack of a dedicated online community (if multi-player is your thing. Expand
  12. Xemawth
    Dec 12, 2009
    Fantastic, to say the least. The third installment into the civilization series really lives up to the praise and aspiration that Sid Meier's games always seem to have. I personally prefer this game over Civ IV because it goes back to the basics and if you don't have a hardcore gaming rig you can play the game with relative ease. Despite some... questionable... battle outcomes Fantastic, to say the least. The third installment into the civilization series really lives up to the praise and aspiration that Sid Meier's games always seem to have. I personally prefer this game over Civ IV because it goes back to the basics and if you don't have a hardcore gaming rig you can play the game with relative ease. Despite some... questionable... battle outcomes (the classic tank losing to the knight on horseback scenario) it is something you get used to the game really brings to light what should be expected from a turn-based strategy game. In my opinion Civ III really emphasizes the reality of raising a civilization and grooming it to become the conquerer of the world. Expand
  13. PingSquirrel
    Mar 13, 2009
    When I purchased this game, I was looking forward to it. I can recount the time I have spent playing Civ II with my friends and just having a glorious time of it. Then, I got to this. I don't know what happened. The corruption is stifling, no matter the government you choose, the combat seemed lack luster at best, and the AI did all it could to abuse the cultural boundaries. In When I purchased this game, I was looking forward to it. I can recount the time I have spent playing Civ II with my friends and just having a glorious time of it. Then, I got to this. I don't know what happened. The corruption is stifling, no matter the government you choose, the combat seemed lack luster at best, and the AI did all it could to abuse the cultural boundaries. In short, it felt like this installment was a test for ideas for Civ IV. If you like it, more power to you, but it just feels like it was released incomplete. Feel free to skip over it to the far more enjoyable Civ IV, Expand
  14. Joshua
    May 23, 2008
    This game is as good as strategy gaming gets, and deserves full marks. Civ 3 and its expansions provide seamless and highly refined game play, culminating everything that this ground-breaking series has brought to gaming in the 21 years it has been in existence. A must-play for strategy and history enthusiasts. Put your plan to take over the world into action!
  15. IoeT
    Apr 15, 2008
    Civilization III is the best strategy game, turn-based or otherwise, that I have ever played. Civ 3 is easily one of the most re-playable games around, especially for people who love empire builders, next to CS:Source and the Super Smash Bros. trilogy. Another outstanding feature of Civ 3 is the editor, it allows users to very easily change all aspects of their gaming experience in Civilization III is the best strategy game, turn-based or otherwise, that I have ever played. Civ 3 is easily one of the most re-playable games around, especially for people who love empire builders, next to CS:Source and the Super Smash Bros. trilogy. Another outstanding feature of Civ 3 is the editor, it allows users to very easily change all aspects of their gaming experience in lay-mans terms, unlike python from Civ 4. The game also includes tons of accurate historical information for history buffs, like myself. The only weak points of the game are the multiplayer aspects, with the exception of hotseat, but who needs the real world when you have the entire span of human civilization at your fingertips? Expand
  16. MitchK
    Mar 18, 2008
    The people that rate this game poorly because of the tank/spearman issue likely do not know how to play the game. The game does not determine battle outcomes by icon, it uses a number system. So in the case where a spearman is attacked by a tank: Spearman (in city, fortified, on a hill, across a river, etc. etc.) will be pumped up quite drastically and make it feasible to beat a tank. The people that rate this game poorly because of the tank/spearman issue likely do not know how to play the game. The game does not determine battle outcomes by icon, it uses a number system. So in the case where a spearman is attacked by a tank: Spearman (in city, fortified, on a hill, across a river, etc. etc.) will be pumped up quite drastically and make it feasible to beat a tank. Awesome game, endless fun. Expand
  17. YM
    Aug 1, 2007
    An at first addictive game, but the absurdity of losing a battle between tanks and bronze welding warriors. Not to mention taking a couple of hundred years to sail around the world.
  18. JeffreyT.
    Jul 25, 2007
    Incredible... the unique player units and dependance on resources is a great addition to the game... Hard time fighting for aluminum... but that's part of the game!
  19. RickyW.
    May 10, 2007
    Not good i hate this game i have tanks losing fights to archers they worst game ever.
  20. TomC.
    Mar 8, 2007
    I liked it quite a bit until competing civilizations started completing wonders 1 turn before I did (on regent level).
  21. MelchisedecH.
    May 19, 2006
    Quite honestly one of the best games in its time. It is ridiculously addicting and will keep you from even the most necessary of things including 3 squares a day, unless of course you can manage your empire and get one more bite of pizza at the same time.
  22. SamT.
    Sep 6, 2005
    not only the best series of games ever, but the best single game ever. notice that the biggest complaint of the people whom brought the metascore down were whining about the fact that there is not enough difference between it and civ2. they should be rating games vs one another, not vs previous versions....
  23. EricG.
    Jun 30, 2005
    Simply great, you'll still be playing it years after you bought it.
  24. DejimmyD.
    Feb 21, 2005
    A nice game witout an population limit.
  25. KevinH.
    Jul 6, 2004
    This game was a complete disappointment. Get SMAC instead.
  26. DonF.
    Nov 14, 2003
    Great graphics, how the.....do you delete excess saved games,and your patch screwed the game up, they should`nt be able to do you can`t.
  27. WillyB.
    Sep 5, 2003
    This game is terrific. I've played and won the earlier Civs or the hardest difficulty and the first time I played Civ 3, it kicked my butt! "Mike" says it is too hard, even for Civ experts. Well, then I think you are in a rut strategy-wise. I changed my play methods and now have a great time giving the computer a run for its money. This series is the best of all time.
  28. WhiteEmperorTC
    Apr 29, 2003
    Simply great.
  29. MattR.
    Apr 2, 2003
    This game is great. While it's true that there is a lot in common with Civ 2 (units, overall interface, etc), that's not necessarily a bad thing. Its greatest strength is its amazing addictiveness. More options/scenarios/units would be welcome, as would different visual options.
  30. DeuxexMachina
    Dec 4, 2002
    The game is tedious in actual play, and this comes from someone who LOVED Civ2 and SMAC. The frequent patches to lower corruption and make wining possible at the higher difficulty setting prove the game was not adequately play tested. Even Civ2 had wonder movies, but not Civ3! The nationalities are not much varried. Espionage is too expensive and too limited to be any fun. The most The game is tedious in actual play, and this comes from someone who LOVED Civ2 and SMAC. The frequent patches to lower corruption and make wining possible at the higher difficulty setting prove the game was not adequately play tested. Even Civ2 had wonder movies, but not Civ3! The nationalities are not much varried. Espionage is too expensive and too limited to be any fun. The most disappointing game I have ever purchased. Expand
  31. CivFan
    Nov 10, 2002
    I loved Civ 2, too bad I had to learn to loathe this one. Flawed gameplay, bugs, clumsy interface. No big hit, just a big piece of sh.t.
  32. Mike
    Sep 14, 2002
    This is a fairly weak sequel in the series of epic turn based strategy games. Freedom of action has been severely reduced, strategy has been virtually eliminated and micromanagement remains annoying. Difficulty is set insanely hard, even for Civ experts. It still has some of the addictiveness of Civ and it looks much nicer, but the fun is just not here.
  33. TonyW.
    Aug 4, 2002
    Very Awesome, Addictive, Great Graphics. That was the good news, the bad news no multiplayer or internet play, but i still give it a 10:)
  34. CivFreak
    Jul 14, 2002
    Compared to the other games in this series, it sucks. There are no scenarios that come with the game and it is exactly the same as the secound installment (without the cool scenarios).
  35. BryanG.
    Apr 27, 2002
    Addicting.
  36. JeffA.
    Mar 16, 2002
    The game rules!
  37. RegnardR.
    Jan 7, 2002
    Be forewarned: This game is is more addictive than crack!
  38. EdY.
    Jan 4, 2002
    Everything is nice but one thing I don't like is that the computer controlled players are too unfairly powerful (in harder levels). It seems they don't need an effort to produce a large army in a short time and and maintain it. I like everything in the game except that I feel the challenges should be on AI but not on the "unfairness."
  39. HenryThoreau
    Dec 31, 2001
    Refined, refined, refined. MicroProse has perfected the Civilization series with Civ. III. I did not think they could have improved over Civ. II much but, I was very wrong. The game is now faster and easier (and more addicting) to play. I hate to get up from the game to eat, "Just one more turn..." Also, I have learned more about history and politics from Civilization than from my history Refined, refined, refined. MicroProse has perfected the Civilization series with Civ. III. I did not think they could have improved over Civ. II much but, I was very wrong. The game is now faster and easier (and more addicting) to play. I hate to get up from the game to eat, "Just one more turn..." Also, I have learned more about history and politics from Civilization than from my history classes! :) Expand
    Dec 31, 2001
    I love Civilization II, so I will love III.
  41. WilliamH.
    Nov 8, 2001
    The greatest thing CivIII does, besides flawlessly recreate the crack-like quality of the other official games in the series, is streamline the interface to such an extent that you'll be wondering why the designers didn't think of them in the first place. In addition, the AI is seriously tweaked, giving you a run for your money even at the lower difficulty levels. The one The greatest thing CivIII does, besides flawlessly recreate the crack-like quality of the other official games in the series, is streamline the interface to such an extent that you'll be wondering why the designers didn't think of them in the first place. In addition, the AI is seriously tweaked, giving you a run for your money even at the lower difficulty levels. The one problem? NO MULTIPLAYER SUPPORT! Hopefully that will come in a patch. But if you feel you just have too much free time on your hands and want something to just mercilessly suck your life away, Civilization III will rule j00! Expand
  42. Jun 15, 2013

1. If you're a fan of the series or of the genre, then I can readily recommend picking up Civilization III -- just keep in mind that it may not be all you expected, especially later in the game.
  2. Computer Gaming World
    It was difficult to write this review, because each time I started the game to check on some detail, six hours mysteriously vanished. [Jan 2002, p.92]
  3. Complex combat, climbing the tech tree, and resource management (commonly found in RTS games) make Civ III a deep strategy game – far beyond a simple Simulation game.