8.9

1. Meestyk
    Sep 23, 2007
    Why a 7? Read on. First, this game is totally turn-based, no RTS at all in the campaign map and the combat system. There isn't anything new added to this recent title to Sid's previous games, if anything, more content, better graphics, but that is pretty much it. For those who enjoys turn-based, this is their final stop. This game would be so much more if it had RTS elements to Why a 7? Read on. First, this game is totally turn-based, no RTS at all in the campaign map and the combat system. There isn't anything new added to this recent title to Sid's previous games, if anything, more content, better graphics, but that is pretty much it. For those who enjoys turn-based, this is their final stop. This game would be so much more if it had RTS elements to it. Implementing RTS combat would have added a lot more excitement to this title (Total War series: Medieval 2 Kingdoms.). As is, the game plays more like a chess game more than anything else (pretty boring to me). If you have trouble thinking faster than your finger's strokes (PvP games), this game is definitely for you. Expand
  2. korin
    Jul 26, 2007
    Why can't I win it on medium level? I've been playing it since Civ III and never succeeded on decent level. Looks like (and others say) the game is becoming unfair starting right from middle level.
  3. JohnS.
    Aug 30, 2007
    There are a lot of good things to like about this expansion, but unfortunately for me, even after the recent Aug07 patch, I am having problems with playability of asian civilizations with workers not working at all. I am looking forward to the next patch, which will hopefully fix my woes. Other than this 1 major problem, I have loved the added features, corporations and increased espionage.
  4. CRL
    Jul 25, 2011
    For some reason I found this game much more enjoyable than the actual Civilization IV. It's intoxicating and a the new elements give what was, in my opinion, an average game in Civilization IV a new life.

1. Another brilliant add-on for an excellent strategy game. The new content is well designed and makes the somewhat dull endgame more interesting. Also the mods and scenarios are quite nice, some being actual games in their own right. [Sept 2007]
    We like Beyond the Sword because it makes the vastness of Civilization 4 just a little bit bigger. Getting to play the Dutch and Portuguese is worth a lot, but we wish all the expansions could have the cunning to make us look at the game in a new way without losing the rich complexity that make us love it in the first place.
  3. Between all the wrinkles in the main gameplay, all the scenarios which completely change or add to it, and the fact that this comes with little to no system requirement increases or, well, anything that doesn't add to the gameplay, Beyond the Sword is little more than another stop on Sid Meier's traditional formula but is so much fun precisely because of this.