6.7

1. Nov 20, 2012
    I was a big fan of the original Colonization, and this remake did not disappoint. It's based on the same engine as Civ IV, so definitely a graphics upgrade. The gameplay is similar, perhaps not quite as deep as the original Colonization in some areas, but better in others. Overall, if you liked the original, get this version for sure. If you never played the original, your in for a treatI was a big fan of the original Colonization, and this remake did not disappoint. It's based on the same engine as Civ IV, so definitely a graphics upgrade. The gameplay is similar, perhaps not quite as deep as the original Colonization in some areas, but better in others. Overall, if you liked the original, get this version for sure. If you never played the original, your in for a treat with this. Expand
  2. Dec 10, 2014
    This game was a disappointment at release. But a mod make it totally fresh, right now!

Most games have a very finite lifecycle: you play a story from start to end, explore their features and leave them. This is not necessary true to PC games. I think this is one such case. The original Colonization IV game had lot of flaws that disappointed greatly the fans of the original Colonization

This is not necessary true to PC games. I think this is one such case. The original Colonization IV game had lot of flaws that disappointed greatly the fans of the original Colonization game, and made it kind of shallow... A game to be played once and then leave it.

But then, the people at Firaxis released the game mechanics source code, and some great guys at Germany / Switzerland developed the "The Authentic Colonization" mod (TAC 2.0.3)..
    And this changed greatly the game experience, bringing it closer to the original Colonization... New victory conditions, Portugal as a player, overall game balancing, random events and decisions, quests...
    This made this game fresh, with lots of new opportunities to explore.

At release, I would give this game a 5. Now I give it an 8.
  3. JerryF.
    Sep 26, 2008
    I was expecting a well-made Civ IV mod; what I got was a unique game with depth almost rivaling Civ IV itself. The historical aspect is superbly well-rendered, the interface is light-years ahead of the original colonization, and the game has that Firaxian charm they pull off so well (hell, even Railroads! had charm, despite its mediocre gameplay). Don't be fooled: this is not a total I was expecting a well-made Civ IV mod; what I got was a unique game with depth almost rivaling Civ IV itself. The historical aspect is superbly well-rendered, the interface is light-years ahead of the original colonization, and the game has that Firaxian charm they pull off so well (hell, even Railroads! had charm, despite its mediocre gameplay). Don't be fooled: this is not a total conversion, it is an entirely new game, and one I heartily endorse and recommend. Expand
  4. DavidB.
    Sep 29, 2008
    Top game when viewed through rose-tinted spectacles.
  5. DennisS.
    Sep 23, 2008
    I have been playing Colonization for coming up on 14 years. I have enjoyed the game tremendously, and even went through the effort of finding, and playing the shareware version, FreeCol. This game is a faithful representation of the original. The learning curve is made much easier by the Civilization interface...it all seems very familiar. The gameplay is excellent, with an excellent I have been playing Colonization for coming up on 14 years. I have enjoyed the game tremendously, and even went through the effort of finding, and playing the shareware version, FreeCol. This game is a faithful representation of the original. The learning curve is made much easier by the Civilization interface...it all seems very familiar. The gameplay is excellent, with an excellent balance between resource management and military/exploration. What makes this version better is the dramatically enhanced Founding Fathers system, where religion, political, exploration, and trade points can be built, saved, then used to purchase a variety of increasingly more expensive and capable founding fathers. So, you want Ben Franklin? Better start saving, 'cause his cost, and benefits, are both quite high! Graphically, this game is excellent. The music is what I would call light classical, and fits in perfectly with the game setting. Just enough to set the mood and tone, and light and breezy enough to escape your attention for long periods. Terrifically done! Another difference from the original that I REALLY appreciated is that you no longer lose production if your warehouse is above 200...they are automatically sold in Europe, albeit for half the going rate. Much better than just losing them. There are a ton of interactions with the natives, and the other colonizations. I also like that there will always be a minimum of one "hammer" for the settlement, which means that you will always be able to work on a project for your towns, even if you don't have the manpower or resources set-up optimally. I am really horrible at this game...and I find myself retiring and restarting. Before, there was no tracking your games...no "Hall of Fame" to chart your relative successes. There is now, and it is enough for me to know that I have done the best I have EVER done, when I retire a game halfway through. I am making good progress, and have done better than I have expected, even though I got the game four hours ago!!! Installation was easy, 800 mb install. My machine is 5 years old, although I did add one additional gig of ram, and a better video card. Windows XP Home, 2.4GHZ, 1.5 GB ram, 256MB video card, and it runs butter-smooth, even on the largest maps. Expand
  6. Scottm
    May 17, 2009
    A very good game. However, don't expect to play this for 20 turns and be good at it. Simply put, it takes some getting used to. Once you do learn however, managing your colony is one of the funnest game mechanics I'v played in a long time. This is not really Civilization, it's its own beast entirely.
  7. Apr 6, 2013
    Outstanding game! With all of the DLC (expansion stuff) this game is great... Civilization II was awesome, but I think that Civilization 4 is the best of the series.
  8. Nov 2, 2011
    Not much improved over the original DOS colonization game gameplay wise, but still a great graphical upgrade even if that is all it is (plus mediocre AI).
  9. Jan 9, 2013
    I'm a fan of the Civ franchise, so I bought the Civ IV game with all the expansions. I really like this one because it lets me focus on one era and I always wanted to stay in the same time period. I don't have to worry about science upgrades, that way, I know that the other guys have the same stuff as I do. The only reason I didn't give it a higher score is because I bought it on steamI'm a fan of the Civ franchise, so I bought the Civ IV game with all the expansions. I really like this one because it lets me focus on one era and I always wanted to stay in the same time period. I don't have to worry about science upgrades, that way, I know that the other guys have the same stuff as I do. The only reason I didn't give it a higher score is because I bought it on steam and it doesn't have a manual and the tutorial is basically pop up that happen as you figure stuff out. No really a walkthrough. Sure it's not a perfect game and the king can be annoying, but it's not hard and can be a little educational. I noticed some people found some stuff about the game that I think is a little over analytical for a game, but some people like to nit pick over everything. Overall I would recommend it if you didn't buy the complete package like I did. Expand
  10. Dec 1, 2012
    If you love the original Colonization like I am, you will love this updated version. It is instant buy when it goes on sale. More of the same original, and that's the best part.
  11. Jun 7, 2013
    I don't really understand all the negative criticism, because I for one love this game. I purchased Colonization about a year ago and then decided a few months later to purchase Civ IV: The Complete Edition, and I actually enjoy Colonization more. Everyone has their own opinions and I respect that, but don't flame a game just because you don't like it or it didn't meet your expectations.I don't really understand all the negative criticism, because I for one love this game. I purchased Colonization about a year ago and then decided a few months later to purchase Civ IV: The Complete Edition, and I actually enjoy Colonization more. Everyone has their own opinions and I respect that, but don't flame a game just because you don't like it or it didn't meet your expectations. This is a super fun game with lots of replay value. Great job Sid! 10/10. Expand

1. The random map generator, several unique factions and difficulty levels, and many approaches to the ultimate goal of independence give Colonization as much replay value as any title you care to name. [Oct 2008, p.112]
    What is particularly interesting about Colonization, as against the Civ games, is the relationships between the different factions. There isn't, for example, the same emphasis on war.
  3. PC Gamer
    If you missed Col the first time around (and most of you probably did), now is an excellent chance to pick it up and dive into the colonial era. [Nov 2008, p.62]