8.6

1. Jul 9, 2013
    Everything in this patch is good. As was the case with Gods and Kings, we can applaud that the game is finally developing into something worth playing. Which just kind of goes to show what a few of us noted when Civ 5 came out at first. This was a DREADFUL game at launch. This is a very good expansion and fans of the game should run forth to buy it to support their beloved developer.Everything in this patch is good. As was the case with Gods and Kings, we can applaud that the game is finally developing into something worth playing. Which just kind of goes to show what a few of us noted when Civ 5 came out at first. This was a DREADFUL game at launch. This is a very good expansion and fans of the game should run forth to buy it to support their beloved developer. However I find $26 pretty rich in the ongoing saga of repairing a severely deficient experience. As another reviewer said: it's quite sad that Fireaxis and 2K made us go through two main DLC before we can have the feeling of what should have been Civilization V at start. I recommend holding off on playing the game till they finish it and bundle the whole thing as a single price title. Expand
  2. Dec 12, 2013
    I spent a lot of hours playing Civ 5, and it was fun in the beginning but it does get boring very quickly. I was hoping this expansion would do something about that it didn't. It really don't see what is so special about the content in this game. The trade function is nothing incredible, if you completely ignored it, it wouldn't make much difference I think. The art and music element isI spent a lot of hours playing Civ 5, and it was fun in the beginning but it does get boring very quickly. I was hoping this expansion would do something about that it didn't. It really don't see what is so special about the content in this game. The trade function is nothing incredible, if you completely ignored it, it wouldn't make much difference I think. The art and music element is just absurdly poor, you get a little box to put in a little slot, do it the right way and that gives you slight cultural bonus of some sort but it doesn't feel like it adds any real meaning or enhances the gameplay. I played a couple of large custom games, bored me to death, I'm positive I won't come back to this game. Expand
  3. dup
    Jul 27, 2013
    Playing a cultur or diplomatic game is finally much more fun in Civ5. But what use are all the new options when the AI does not know how to play them? For me Civ5 has always been a game against the computer and frankly the AI is just plain stupid: It does not know how to vote in the world council, it cheats (-80 gold/turn and no consequences) and reacts completely unreasonable. With allPlaying a cultur or diplomatic game is finally much more fun in Civ5. But what use are all the new options when the AI does not know how to play them? For me Civ5 has always been a game against the computer and frankly the AI is just plain stupid: It does not know how to vote in the world council, it cheats (-80 gold/turn and no consequences) and reacts completely unreasonable. With all the new options of Brave New World this is more apparent than ever. Expand
  4. Jul 11, 2013
    This expansion finally makes CIV5 nearly as good as CIV4 and nearly just because of the terrible balance, which in time will surely be fixed. Thanks god it doesn't feel so arcade anymore due to this expansion, the complexity of previous CIV-titles is nearly restored.
  5. Jul 11, 2013
    That was positive:
    - Video quality
    - Intro Video - Clarity of controls -------------------------------------------------- ----------- Was negative: - Umstandliche control - Heavy introduction for beginners For me personally it was too complicated for me as a newcomer to the beginning. It would have been a tuturial to install. Otherwise, I liked Age of Empires and settlers then
    That was positive:
    - Video quality
    - Intro Video
    - Clarity of controls
    -------------------------------------------------- -----------
    Was negative:
    - Umstandliche control
    - Heavy introduction for beginners

For me personally it was too complicated for me as a newcomer to the beginning. It would have been a tuturial to install. Otherwise, I liked Age of Empires and settlers then much better.
  6. Aug 20, 2013
    It's a good game yes. I liked all the new added features but after 200+ hours of game play in Civ 5 you start to get boring after a bit. The expansion didn't help this boredom much and it still felt a lot like the old game, and the biggest change I really saw was the trading. I wouldn't even call this a DLC, just a glorified "patch" they didn't add much to the game for it to be $30 honestly.
  7. Sep 17, 2013
    Brave New World is like a patch to the original game. It fixes few things and adds couple of new features but the underlying game is still the same as before.
    AI combat abilities are still horrible and added complexity off the game makes the AI even worse performer.
    Also the user interface has the same quirks as before. Only buy BNW if you are die hard fan of the series or can get the
    Also the user interface has the same quirks as before.
    Only buy BNW if you are die hard fan of the series or can get the game dirty cheap.
  8. Jul 27, 2013
    My job demands a lot of concentration, so I need a lot of breaks. During my breaks I play Civilization. Since buying BNW however, I find myself often, drifting to “something more engaging,” like Free Cell. I am a little amazed that I seem almost alone in getting bored with BNW.
    Civilization is a great franchise and I’d love to join the cheerleading team for BNW but can’t.
    The source of
    The source of my boredom appears almost trivial but it’s killing the game for me. So that I don’t appear to overstate the case, I will put that up front before moving on to what I consider genuinely critical improvements to the game.
    As I read, I see that even huge maps are smaller in BNW than in previous iterations. The first effect is that in the dozen or so games I have started, I have been immediately hemmed in by other civs with barely room for strategic expansion, short of whipping together an army of warriors and archers and going on a do or die attack at the expense of measured cultural and scientific development. (I play Marathon/ Huge Map/ Abundant Resources).
    BNW’s trend to fewer cities and smaller maps also appears to create issues for mid-game strategic resources. I don’t enjoy the nasty surprise of reaching Industrialization, (coal), Biology, (oil) or Electricity, (uranium) and finding no reasonable access to critical resources, possibly apart from declaring war on a “friend.” (I completed Biology after circumnavigating every continent, exploring my own completely and found only three visible, onshore sources of oil none in reasonable access, requiring either that I forego Combustion, ie modern ships, planes, tanks,” or mounting an overseas invasion with Industrial Revolution military resources).
    Thus, I haven’t bothered to finish a single game of BNW. I WANT the military option and while open to Diplomatic, Cultural or even Science Victory I don’t want the choice forced upon me when faced with an exercise in futility acquiring strategic resources.
    This expansion has taken important steps, huge steps that are absolutely necessary for Civilization to achieve its full potential.
    The Cultural game with Great Writers and Great Musicians added to Great Artists, showcased in cultural edifices like the Louvre, the “architectural digs,” and World’s Fair all stand as clever enhancements to the cultural game.
    Diplomacy in previous iterations was plagued, either by pointless interruptions from other civs, “trading” on the ridiculous demands of other civs and finally the asinine Diplomatic Victory achieved through bribing city states in Civ 5 or G&K). With the new World Council (like the old UN) and the potential for collective action the Diplomacy game in BNW has taken a long stride forward.
    The Science Victory, virtually unchanged since I started playing (Civ II) needs similar renovation.
    The key here is that while all these innovations are great, we are not there yet.
    I believe, Civilization will become fully evolved when the Diplomatic, Cultural and Science elements emerge into their own. Each needs to become a stand-alone option with move and (especially) countermove, planning, strategic choices, flow, and the other factors adding to a great gaming experience. That is not the case now, they are textures and adjuncts. Nobody will buy Civilization on the strength of the evolving but fledgling Cultural, Diplomatic and Science elements.
    Civilization needs to ensure that its “new strengths” are fully secure and stable before it drifts too far from its old strength. I hope for some patches to rebalance the game. I am looking for mods to see if I can still save this game.
  9. Apr 26, 2014
    A wonderfully fun game, and yet such a frustrating one. The game frequently crashes as you progress to the late game though, which means I rarely finish them, and the multiplayer has way too many connectivity problems to make it a reliable game for those long night extravaganzas. Too many civs are absolutely useless, but on the other hand, it is fun to experiment and try new things,A wonderfully fun game, and yet such a frustrating one. The game frequently crashes as you progress to the late game though, which means I rarely finish them, and the multiplayer has way too many connectivity problems to make it a reliable game for those long night extravaganzas. Too many civs are absolutely useless, but on the other hand, it is fun to experiment and try new things, though most of these don't make any difference by the time you make it to the late game, if your computer can handle it all that is.

Still, it is fun to claim the world as your own. It's fun being the man on top, and it's immensely satisfying to succeed.
  10. Feb 26, 2014
    I really enjoyed Gods and Kings, Religion was a nice touch.

I really think that Brave New World misses the mark with Tourism and the way the game now also handles culture. If you are going for Culture, you are at a major disadvantage...period. You have to out last everyone to nearly the very end with BnW. Warmongers are at a bigger advantage and if you miss any key wonders you can
    I really enjoyed Gods and Kings, Religion was a nice touch.

If you are going for Culture, you are at a major disadvantage...period. You have to out last everyone to nearly the very end with BnW. Warmongers are at a bigger advantage and if you miss any key wonders you can kiss your culture good bye.

It is not "more challenging" you never have any issue if you follow "the formula" it is just .... dull.
    Centuries of doing nothing. Literally nothing. Then you dig up some sites and hope for the best.

It is not all bad. The diverse cultural branches that you get MUCH LATER IN THE GAME are pretty cool and have some interesting bonus. To bad that as soon as you can, you just go Freedom and then buy the space race pieces you need with Gold while the other poor guy is still trying to scrape the culture together to win.

Not a terrible expansion, but did not improve much on Gods And Kings imo. (New cultures are always cool)
  11. Jun 5, 2014
    With this final expansion comes the last bit of depth that was missing from the original launch, finally bringing it to the level of civilization 4. It still bothers me that people are expected to pay for problems that should have never been present to begin with but the industry is firm in its cash grab mentality and honestly, people (myself included) can't do much about it, so best enjoyWith this final expansion comes the last bit of depth that was missing from the original launch, finally bringing it to the level of civilization 4. It still bothers me that people are expected to pay for problems that should have never been present to begin with but the industry is firm in its cash grab mentality and honestly, people (myself included) can't do much about it, so best enjoy it. Also, once again, I can only go so far in my complaining as this also added another 40 hours of play to my hundreds. Expand
  12. Jun 19, 2014
    And now the game is playable, two expansions later. It's still not the game of its predecessors but it is playable. If you have an audiobook running. Get in Game of Thrones book 3 or maybe a Dresden files while playing Korea or some such and the game can work out. But, what does it say that a person needs a book running to keep the entirety of their mind occupied here?

Graphics

Graphics don't make for a great game. You need meat and complexity.

Trade routes make sense. That they can be pillaged also makes sense. What doesn't make sense is you still can't trade technology. Again, this reeks of the whiny crowd not liking other people getting a tech before them and then monopolizing the trade market by trading it out before them. Trading technology and having some exclusivity in these trades simply makes sense.

Espionage still lacks depth.

Religion lacks oomph.

General and Admirals still don't do much, armies and navies not really there.

Tourism adds but seems expensive social policy wise for the payout. Producing archaeologists for +2. Yay? Yes, you can exploit this into more, but it still falls short. Kind of lame as a "win" option, just like the science victory always was and still is.

I'm going as high as a 7 because with both expansions it's an alright thing to play alongside an audiobook. Without the meat of a good book though, it's still a 5. Bad form Fireaxis, you can do better, we've seen you do better.
  13. Feb 8, 2015
    I have been playing iterations of Civilization since the first one, more than 20 years ago. My complaint with Civ V is the same as with the others. I can win the lowest level with one hand tied behind my head. I can win the second level, but I end up spending most of my time fighting barbarians rather than playing the game. I can't make a dent above the second level.

The graphics are

The graphics are terrific, but I'd prefer simpler graphics and a better a.i. It seems the only difference between the levels is that my units are not as strong as the computer's units and I cannot build as fast as the computer. That's not an interesting a.i. That's just muscle. Of course a stronger, faster producing enemy is harder to beat, but I can't enhance my production or strength. I can only try to outsmart the computer opponents. When I hit my head against a tree, I can't out-muscle the tree, and there's no way to use my head to out-think it. The tree/head competition is always going to go against the head as long as it's just a muscular competition.

I am disappointed and frustrated by the time spent on glamor and the little time (no time) spent on improving the a.i.
  14. Aug 3, 2013
    Sid Meier's Civilization 5: Brave New World gives you the power to start a civilization of your chose with leaders from through out history. I personally had never played any of the other Civilization games, but that didn't matter because even if your experienced the game tells you how to do every thing. It can run on any pc and is a lot of fun. You can spend from 5 hours to 10 and neverSid Meier's Civilization 5: Brave New World gives you the power to start a civilization of your chose with leaders from through out history. I personally had never played any of the other Civilization games, but that didn't matter because even if your experienced the game tells you how to do every thing. It can run on any pc and is a lot of fun. You can spend from 5 hours to 10 and never get bored as your constantly trying to make your civilization better. the only thing I ever found annoying is that to end your turn you have to do something with all your units but besides that its an amazing game I recommend to any body. Collapse

1. Oct 7, 2013
    THe Brave New World add-on has a lot of good new stuff: cold war, better cultural victory rules, world congress, archeology… I only wish the AI would be better in battles. [Aug 2013]
  2. Sep 10, 2013
    Brave New World is without a doubt the best expansion to Civilization V. The core gameplay modes and win states has received great and well needed updates which gives a more varied and balanced experience. Of course there is still some dead air during the game sessions but the new content will disappoint no one. Even if it is three years old Civilization V is with this expansion still one of the best ways to combine entertainment with education.
  3. Aug 19, 2013
    It is easily the best additional content so far, although it seems to lack balance because there are several civilizations that are not considered in multiplayer.