8.6

1. Jul 9, 2013
    Brave new world is the latest expansion for Civilization V, packed with new civilizations, wonders, units and a plethora features. For a hefty price of $30, Civilization V also gets a slight aesthetic refinement for the interface.

One of my main complaints with Civilization V Gods and Kings was the amount of multiplayer bugs the game contained and how boring late game can get. With a recent patch, multiplayer actually runs much faster. From loading times to turn times, there was clearly optimizations for multiplayer. Late game is also a lot more interesting. Firaxis has completely retooled how Ideologies work, how the culture victory is obtained, and has reintroduced the World Congress (UN in Civ IV).

Ideologies are now obtained by building three factories which signals the industrial era for your civilization, or reaching the Modern Era in the Technology tree. Ideologies now play a big part in civilization. From diplomatic relationships being strained, to unhappiness in your civilization, to revolution. It’s entirely what the game was lacking, and this retooling of ideologies really adds depth to the late game. There tends to be a lot of bickering between the AI as a result, which leads to very interesting gameplay. My first game in Brave New World resulted in a world war. Something also noticeable is no longer does each political ideology have 5 social policies to adopt, but a dozen or more. In fact, each social policy gained from your specific ideology only grants one bonus, instead of several like in Gods and Kings.

It requires significantly more culture to get all the benefits from a ideology tree, but this isn’t a problem. It’s very easy to obtain culture, with the addition of great writers/musicians/painters. All of which can create great works, which can bring in tourism from other civilizations. This leads into the new Culture victory, with the goal of being culturally influential to a specific number of civilizations. This is by far one of the best changes in the expansion.

The World congress is a more in-depth UN from Civilization IV. You can enact trade embargoes, ban specific luxury resources, enact a world ideology or religion, or even ban nukes. Depending on how you tell your delegates to vote on a issue, can result in some hatred from other civilizations. I once was given the option of voting for a world fair, adopting a world religion, or abstaining my votes for that session of congress. I places all my delegates for the world fair, and as a result I got denounced by the majority of civilizations in the game. It was quite interesting to see who my friends were after that, and this is by far a great addition to Civilization V.

Some other noteworthy additions is the inclusion of trade routes, which allows religious pressure, gold, science, food and production to be traded amongst your cities or other civilizations. Spies have the option of being a diplomat, which grants the same abilities only they do not steal technology and they can increase tourism to your cities via propaganda.

Overall, the expansion is well worth the price. Most of the additions help late game, although features such as trade routes can help with early expansion. Brave new world also introduces the features very slowly, in such a pace that it’s easy to quickly understand the new gameplay mechanics. This might be the best Civilization to date.
  2. Jul 9, 2013
    Everything in this patch is good. As was the case with Gods and Kings, we can applaud that the game is finally developing into something worth playing. Which just kind of goes to show what a few of us noted when Civ 5 came out at first. This was a DREADFUL game at launch. This is a very good expansion and fans of the game should run forth to buy it to support their beloved developer.Everything in this patch is good. As was the case with Gods and Kings, we can applaud that the game is finally developing into something worth playing. Which just kind of goes to show what a few of us noted when Civ 5 came out at first. This was a DREADFUL game at launch. This is a very good expansion and fans of the game should run forth to buy it to support their beloved developer. However I find $26 pretty rich in the ongoing saga of repairing a severely deficient experience. As another reviewer said: it's quite sad that Fireaxis and 2K made us go through two main DLC before we can have the feeling of what should have been Civilization V at start. I recommend holding off on playing the game till they finish it and bundle the whole thing as a single price title. Expand
  3. Jul 14, 2013
    Absolutely fantastic expansion. Pretty much every complaint from Civilization is addressed. Boring late game? Gone. Invisible trade? Gone. Basically mandatory for anyone playing Civilization. Try Zulu with mass Impi rush. You'll thank me later.
  4. Dec 12, 2013
    I spent a lot of hours playing Civ 5, and it was fun in the beginning but it does get boring very quickly. I was hoping this expansion would do something about that it didn't. It really don't see what is so special about the content in this game. The trade function is nothing incredible, if you completely ignored it, it wouldn't make much difference I think. The art and music element isI spent a lot of hours playing Civ 5, and it was fun in the beginning but it does get boring very quickly. I was hoping this expansion would do something about that it didn't. It really don't see what is so special about the content in this game. The trade function is nothing incredible, if you completely ignored it, it wouldn't make much difference I think. The art and music element is just absurdly poor, you get a little box to put in a little slot, do it the right way and that gives you slight cultural bonus of some sort but it doesn't feel like it adds any real meaning or enhances the gameplay. I played a couple of large custom games, bored me to death, I'm positive I won't come back to this game. Expand
  5. dup
    Jul 27, 2013
    Playing a cultur or diplomatic game is finally much more fun in Civ5. But what use are all the new options when the AI does not know how to play them? For me Civ5 has always been a game against the computer and frankly the AI is just plain stupid: It does not know how to vote in the world council, it cheats (-80 gold/turn and no consequences) and reacts completely unreasonable. With allPlaying a cultur or diplomatic game is finally much more fun in Civ5. But what use are all the new options when the AI does not know how to play them? For me Civ5 has always been a game against the computer and frankly the AI is just plain stupid: It does not know how to vote in the world council, it cheats (-80 gold/turn and no consequences) and reacts completely unreasonable. With all the new options of Brave New World this is more apparent than ever. Expand
  6. Sep 17, 2013
    Brave New World is like a patch to the original game. It fixes few things and adds couple of new features but the underlying game is still the same as before.
    AI combat abilities are still horrible and added complexity off the game makes the AI even worse performer.
    Also the user interface has the same quirks as before. Only buy BNW if you are die hard fan of the series or can get the
    Also the user interface has the same quirks as before.
    Only buy BNW if you are die hard fan of the series or can get the game dirty cheap.
  7. Sep 2, 2013
    I fell in love with this game. Civilization V and it's other expansion packs are an experience that nobody needs to miss!
    Despite the fact that the world editor cannot be in-game, which is sort of disappointing, but it's the only down-side I like to mention.
  8. Aug 13, 2013
    Finally Civ 5 does not suck (too much). For this I give it a 9, single player.

Sure the uber slow turns (God help you on a slow PC) are still there, but game is actually what it should be
  9. Jul 9, 2013
    Another large expansion for Civilization V. For those die-hard fans of the most current version this is certainly a worthwhile addition. More depth in the form new systems including risky trade routes, more expansive cultural victory play-style, more Civilizations and a rework of the policy tree all help round out an already well developed game. Surprisingly, the added systems do nothingAnother large expansion for Civilization V. For those die-hard fans of the most current version this is certainly a worthwhile addition. More depth in the form new systems including risky trade routes, more expansive cultural victory play-style, more Civilizations and a rework of the policy tree all help round out an already well developed game. Surprisingly, the added systems do nothing to diminish those already in place, and aren't overwhelming for more casual players. Stubborn fans of the older Civilization incarnations will still find that the game strays from its predecessors but that is the intention and shouldn't be expected. If you're looking for some new tweaks and added depth to your Civilization V experience then that is what you'll get. The price is high, which is expected from past expansions and may be worth waiting for a sale if you're only a lukewarm fan. Expand
  10. Mar 22, 2014
    BNW is probably the best expansion to Civilization, if not to any game ever.

It adds trade and world congress diplomacy mechanics that are both great fun and offer tons of different options on how to play the game. Also culture mechanics is adjusted in a really great way. In short all the changes made to the game brought much more fun and variability. The only downsides are dumped AI
    BNW is probably the best expansion to Civilization, if not to any game ever.

The only downsides are dumped AI (as stupid as in previous game releases) and for me quite stupid time speed when later on you don't even have enough time to use new units, because before you ever use them you're ready to upgrade them again (but this again is not really fault of the expansion, but rather strange concept of original game).

There are other things that were added (civs, wonders, techs...).

Overall great expansion that almost makes CIV V new and without a doubt much better game.
  11. Oct 17, 2013
    I really don't understand why the hell people are liking this game! They must not have played Civ IV. It barely adds anything to civ, whereas it takes away about half of the tech tree AND diplomacy. WHY CAN'T I SEE WHAT A RULER THINKS ABOUT ANOTHER CIVILIZATION. There are basic diplomatic necessities they've completely removed from the game. I guess I'm reviewing Civ 5 more than I am BraveI really don't understand why the hell people are liking this game! They must not have played Civ IV. It barely adds anything to civ, whereas it takes away about half of the tech tree AND diplomacy. WHY CAN'T I SEE WHAT A RULER THINKS ABOUT ANOTHER CIVILIZATION. There are basic diplomatic necessities they've completely removed from the game. I guess I'm reviewing Civ 5 more than I am Brave New World, but Jesus Christ it's only worsened because the game basically came out in 2 different parts. At this point you'd have to spend about 80 bucks to play Civilization in full. Sure, you can spend 30, and then get about half the civs, plus NO RELIGION. Civ 4 had religions, albeit much simpler than in Brave New World. Why the hell isn't that in Civ 5???
    Here are some other things they added to the glorious Civilization franchise: every unit can become amphibious now, God knows how, they just turn into boats and sail across a lake, cities can directly attack marauders (no more pillaging, sorry!), no stacking units (I could understand a unit stack cap, but only one per tile??? WHY? Now my entire army not only costs a massive amount of money, but I can't find a place to put the bloody thing). Seriously, if you're a Civ 4 player, can't you imagine how difficult it is to move EVERY SINGLE UNIT SEPARATELY IN AN ENTIRE ARMY. The game sucks, I don't understand the reviews at this point. I'm going back to Civ 4.
  12. Jul 9, 2013
    A great update to a game in need of an ending. The generalization that Gods & Kings addressed the first half the game while Brave New World fixes the second half is somewhat true. The new civs also offer dramatically different play styles, which makes this expansion more than a mere evolution but less than a full sequel (say, Civ VI). Worth buying, 100%!
  13. Aug 3, 2013
    - Stable Game
    - Teaches Historical People, Places, Ideologies and Cultures
    - Good Voice acting
  14. Jul 17, 2013
    This game is GOOD but I can't stop this "more of the same but with different color" with CIV
    I've been playing CIV games since I was 17 (from CIV I onwards) and I feel like aside from few details,
    the game is the same (graphics dont count)
    If you haven't played CIV in a long or never played, buy this one.
    Otherwise, I guess buying it on sale.
  15. Oct 13, 2013
    This expansion fixes a lot of problems that Gods and Kings did not fix. i have found that the other empires around me are willing to get into long term and deep diplomatic relationships like in the earlier civ games. this was my main complaint about the game and it has been fixed. the new features are welcome to the game and fit in perfectly. the new civilizations are great and i am happyThis expansion fixes a lot of problems that Gods and Kings did not fix. i have found that the other empires around me are willing to get into long term and deep diplomatic relationships like in the earlier civ games. this was my main complaint about the game and it has been fixed. the new features are welcome to the game and fit in perfectly. the new civilizations are great and i am happy to see new civs that have never been introduced to the civ world. also civs returning from older games are welcome back. the combat didn't need fixing so it is still good. so overall i think it is a great buy... i waited until it went on sale because 30 dollars for a DLC is way too much. but it is a must buy if you already own civ. the diplomacy and interactions between other countries is amazing. highly recommended. Expand
  16. Feb 3, 2014
    Brave New World is definitely a contender for best PC game expansion of 2013. The expansion reinvents how culture works in Civilization V and offers more interesting gameplay when it comes to trading and diplomacy. The only real criticism you could make is that they should've had these in the game in the first place! But that's just the way it is with Civ expansions isn't it? :)
  17. Nov 29, 2013
    Brave New World makes some great additions to Civilization V and makes the core game far more enjoyable and tactical. Aside from adding more Civilizations, wonders, buildings and units the game introduces some new mechanics that change the core experience greatly. The introduction of trade using merchants is an interesting addition that makes it easier to obtain large amounts of gold, gainBrave New World makes some great additions to Civilization V and makes the core game far more enjoyable and tactical. Aside from adding more Civilizations, wonders, buildings and units the game introduces some new mechanics that change the core experience greatly. The introduction of trade using merchants is an interesting addition that makes it easier to obtain large amounts of gold, gain science or to spread your religion among other civilizations. Diplomacy now has far more depth through the means of a congress system where you and other civilizations vote on issues that will drastically affect the game. It helps to be tactical with the voting because a certain affect may benefit you, but at the same time it may upset other civilizations and tarnish their relations with you and can even lead to war. The game also adds more great people such as great writers and musicians which can create great works for you and help to increase your culture output, aiding you in achieving a cultural victory. All these new additions are great and help to create a more tactical Civilization experience. This expansion is a must! Expand
  18. Jul 27, 2013
    The newest expansion for Civilization V teaches an old dog new tricks, the game feels fresh, and exciting.

Indeed we are brought into a "Brave New World" with this installment, showing us new reworked game play additions including the new Word Congress, and the ability to tailor your civilization based on an ideology! The visuals get a slight improvement as well, and are much nicer

The visuals get a slight improvement as well, and are much nicer to the eyes than they were before, giving you something to really look at.

If you enjoyed Civilization except for the moderate flaws I suggest picking up this tune-up as it really brings out the best of the game. But if you had no good words to say about the game before, do not bother as this will not be the change for you.
  19. Jul 27, 2013
    My job demands a lot of concentration, so I need a lot of breaks. During my breaks I play Civilization. Since buying BNW however, I find myself often, drifting to “something more engaging,” like Free Cell. I am a little amazed that I seem almost alone in getting bored with BNW.
    Civilization is a great franchise and I’d love to join the cheerleading team for BNW but can’t.
    The source of
    The source of my boredom appears almost trivial but it’s killing the game for me. So that I don’t appear to overstate the case, I will put that up front before moving on to what I consider genuinely critical improvements to the game.
    As I read, I see that even huge maps are smaller in BNW than in previous iterations. The first effect is that in the dozen or so games I have started, I have been immediately hemmed in by other civs with barely room for strategic expansion, short of whipping together an army of warriors and archers and going on a do or die attack at the expense of measured cultural and scientific development. (I play Marathon/ Huge Map/ Abundant Resources).
    BNW’s trend to fewer cities and smaller maps also appears to create issues for mid-game strategic resources. I don’t enjoy the nasty surprise of reaching Industrialization, (coal), Biology, (oil) or Electricity, (uranium) and finding no reasonable access to critical resources, possibly apart from declaring war on a “friend.” (I completed Biology after circumnavigating every continent, exploring my own completely and found only three visible, onshore sources of oil none in reasonable access, requiring either that I forego Combustion, ie modern ships, planes, tanks,” or mounting an overseas invasion with Industrial Revolution military resources).
    Thus, I haven’t bothered to finish a single game of BNW. I WANT the military option and while open to Diplomatic, Cultural or even Science Victory I don’t want the choice forced upon me when faced with an exercise in futility acquiring strategic resources.
    This expansion has taken important steps, huge steps that are absolutely necessary for Civilization to achieve its full potential.
    The Cultural game with Great Writers and Great Musicians added to Great Artists, showcased in cultural edifices like the Louvre, the “architectural digs,” and World’s Fair all stand as clever enhancements to the cultural game.
    Diplomacy in previous iterations was plagued, either by pointless interruptions from other civs, “trading” on the ridiculous demands of other civs and finally the asinine Diplomatic Victory achieved through bribing city states in Civ 5 or G&K). With the new World Council (like the old UN) and the potential for collective action the Diplomacy game in BNW has taken a long stride forward.
    The Science Victory, virtually unchanged since I started playing (Civ II) needs similar renovation.
    The key here is that while all these innovations are great, we are not there yet.
    I believe, Civilization will become fully evolved when the Diplomatic, Cultural and Science elements emerge into their own. Each needs to become a stand-alone option with move and (especially) countermove, planning, strategic choices, flow, and the other factors adding to a great gaming experience. That is not the case now, they are textures and adjuncts. Nobody will buy Civilization on the strength of the evolving but fledgling Cultural, Diplomatic and Science elements.
    Civilization needs to ensure that its “new strengths” are fully secure and stable before it drifts too far from its old strength. I hope for some patches to rebalance the game. I am looking for mods to see if I can still save this game.
  20. Jul 27, 2013
    This new version of the game is great. I'm not completely done with my first game, but I am close. The new ideology system is really cool. George Washington adopted autocracy. lol. I'm playing as Assyria, one of the new civs. The Ideologies give you a bunch of cool bonuses, like freedom has one that gives you 6 free foreign legions. I am so getting that! Also, the world congress has beenThis new version of the game is great. I'm not completely done with my first game, but I am close. The new ideology system is really cool. George Washington adopted autocracy. lol. I'm playing as Assyria, one of the new civs. The Ideologies give you a bunch of cool bonuses, like freedom has one that gives you 6 free foreign legions. I am so getting that! Also, the world congress has been added, so you can force all other civs to do what you want them to do, if you have enough delegates. Happiness has also been made more important. This is one of the only things I didn't like.Also, victory conditions have been changed. now to win a cultural victory, you have to get a lot of tourism to become influential over other civs. all in all, its a really great game Expand
  21. Aug 1, 2013
    Really like the changes to this game brought by the BNW dlc. Before, the game was always a slog once you started to get into more modern times. There weren't many interesting things to build or compelling bonuses to acquire. Not that the end game was terrible...more like, it peaked during the renaissance and after that, you just kept playing because you needed to win...it was ok, butReally like the changes to this game brought by the BNW dlc. Before, the game was always a slog once you started to get into more modern times. There weren't many interesting things to build or compelling bonuses to acquire. Not that the end game was terrible...more like, it peaked during the renaissance and after that, you just kept playing because you needed to win...it was ok, but not nearly as cool as the early empire building.

BNW changes that, making late game diplomacy and "ideological" choices much more complex and relevant to the game. If you are diplomatic enough, you can use your clout to pass "UN" style agreements that can really tilt the game in your favor! Also, the new trade system is such a huge improvement! You now get to make real choices about trade that have a large effect on your overall economy...before it was just "build a road from A to B to make a trade route". Now it's much more complex and interesting.

This is far and away the best DLC I've played for Civ V. If I could give it an 11, I would.
  22. Aug 3, 2013
    Sid Meier's Civilization 5: Brave New World gives you the power to start a civilization of your chose with leaders from through out history. I personally had never played any of the other Civilization games, but that didn't matter because even if your experienced the game tells you how to do every thing. It can run on any pc and is a lot of fun. You can spend from 5 hours to 10 and neverSid Meier's Civilization 5: Brave New World gives you the power to start a civilization of your chose with leaders from through out history. I personally had never played any of the other Civilization games, but that didn't matter because even if your experienced the game tells you how to do every thing. It can run on any pc and is a lot of fun. You can spend from 5 hours to 10 and never get bored as your constantly trying to make your civilization better. the only thing I ever found annoying is that to end your turn you have to do something with all your units but besides that its an amazing game I recommend to any body. Expand
  23. JtW
    Aug 21, 2013
    Great expansion. The new mechanics integrate seamlessly with the first expansion, creating a complete and engrossing experience.

I finally feel that with this expansion Civilization 5 has reproduced the depth of Civilization 4 BTS, while remaining its own game. The trade mechanics, the tourism thingy and the World Congress are all fresh additions. I only hope that Civ 6 will be

I only hope that Civ 6 will be developed by the same awesome team.
  24. Feb 10, 2014
    A truly brilliant game. Not normally a grand-strategy fan but I have found myself losing hours at a time as I guide my fledgling nation through the ages. Graphic, game play, music, depth of options are all sensational. My one warning - and it is a big one - is that this game is a massive time-thief !
  25. Sep 7, 2013
    When other developers turn tiny expansions to their own games (Saints Row IV), they turned something that could have been Civilization VI into a cheap expansion. I approve!
  26. Sep 10, 2013
    Played this for days and enjoyed it so much.Almost everything has been fixed in this expansion that wasn't right in the original Civilization V. The late game is no longer boring, the AI is fixed.

A solid 9/10 for a must own!
  27. Mar 5, 2014
    I played the base game for this and i enjoyed it, but multiplayer was unbearable and it didn't really address some problems that the game contained (such as the painfully easy diplomatic victory ). But Brave New World has to be the greatest expansion pack of all time, everything is perfect and 2k games have done an amazing job and on top of that it the music is beautiful. I have had soI played the base game for this and i enjoyed it, but multiplayer was unbearable and it didn't really address some problems that the game contained (such as the painfully easy diplomatic victory ). But Brave New World has to be the greatest expansion pack of all time, everything is perfect and 2k games have done an amazing job and on top of that it the music is beautiful. I have had so much on this game, and I could not recommend it more. If you are going to play Civilization V ,then you are doing yourself wrong if you do not have Brave New World installed. Expand
  28. Jan 6, 2014
    Wonderful game, but still, there are aspects that need to be fixed. The gameplay, the magnitude which this game offers it's fantastic, granting you hours and hours of turns of intense battles and the possibility to admire your creation throughout the ages. Still, the AI needs a few improvements regarding its strategies, being extremely easy to defeat up to Immortal. The multiplayer needs aWonderful game, but still, there are aspects that need to be fixed. The gameplay, the magnitude which this game offers it's fantastic, granting you hours and hours of turns of intense battles and the possibility to admire your creation throughout the ages. Still, the AI needs a few improvements regarding its strategies, being extremely easy to defeat up to Immortal. The multiplayer needs a complete overhaul, the game being unplayable with over 4 players, due to lag and the never ending "Waiting for players". Good choice of leaders, nice features and great music, especiallywhile playing England or the Celts. Expand
  29. Feb 13, 2014
    The Meier humble bundle makes this such a cheap prospect, if you're a fan of TBS, you have to buy this. Insane level of detail and immersion. I've played Civ off and on from the first version and my only criticism is that if you're totally new to the concept, the extra depth offered by the two major expansions might be a barrier to access by the novice. Having said this, it is possible toThe Meier humble bundle makes this such a cheap prospect, if you're a fan of TBS, you have to buy this. Insane level of detail and immersion. I've played Civ off and on from the first version and my only criticism is that if you're totally new to the concept, the extra depth offered by the two major expansions might be a barrier to access by the novice. Having said this, it is possible to play on lower difficulties till you find your feet, plus the in game tutorials are well executed. Expand
  30. Jun 24, 2014
    Compared to the previous extension Gods and Kings, this is a REAL expansion. It changes everything, the cultural victory is now really fun to play, and the trade system is a very good addition.

Now with G&K and this, we have a full game worth a 9/10. "-But you gave it a 8!" "-I know I know". I remove 1 point for this not being in the game in the first place. It was planned, so put it in the game from the beginning, and you'll earn my point.

I'm not a huge fan of the Ideology system in offline mode, because you're pretty sure you'll have to change it if you're discovering it first, but it is a good end-game bonus.

Conclusion : DLC system is crap, but full game is a success ! Try to get it all at a low price if you're new to it

1. Pelit (Finland)
    Oct 7, 2013
    THe Brave New World add-on has a lot of good new stuff: cold war, better cultural victory rules, world congress, archeology… I only wish the AI would be better in battles. [Aug 2013]
  2. Sep 10, 2013
    Brave New World is without a doubt the best expansion to Civilization V. The core gameplay modes and win states has received great and well needed updates which gives a more varied and balanced experience. Of course there is still some dead air during the game sessions but the new content will disappoint no one. Even if it is three years old Civilization V is with this expansion still one of the best ways to combine entertainment with education.
  3. Aug 19, 2013
    It is easily the best additional content so far, although it seems to lack balance because there are several civilizations that are not considered in multiplayer.