8.5

1. Jul 9, 2013
    Brave new world is the latest expansion for Civilization V, packed with new civilizations, wonders, units and a plethora features. For a hefty price of $30, Civilization V also gets a slight aesthetic refinement for the interface.

One of my main complaints with Civilization V Gods and Kings was the amount of multiplayer bugs the game contained and how boring late game can get. With a recent patch, multiplayer actually runs much faster. From loading times to turn times, there was clearly optimizations for multiplayer. Late game is also a lot more interesting. Firaxis has completely retooled how Ideologies work, how the culture victory is obtained, and has reintroduced the World Congress (UN in Civ IV).

Ideologies are now obtained by building three factories which signals the industrial era for your civilization, or reaching the Modern Era in the Technology tree. Ideologies now play a big part in civilization. From diplomatic relationships being strained, to unhappiness in your civilization, to revolution. It’s entirely what the game was lacking, and this retooling of ideologies really adds depth to the late game. There tends to be a lot of bickering between the AI as a result, which leads to very interesting gameplay. My first game in Brave New World resulted in a world war. Something also noticeable is no longer does each political ideology have 5 social policies to adopt, but a dozen or more. In fact, each social policy gained from your specific ideology only grants one bonus, instead of several like in Gods and Kings.

It requires significantly more culture to get all the benefits from a ideology tree, but this isn’t a problem. It’s very easy to obtain culture, with the addition of great writers/musicians/painters. All of which can create great works, which can bring in tourism from other civilizations. This leads into the new Culture victory, with the goal of being culturally influential to a specific number of civilizations. This is by far one of the best changes in the expansion.

The World congress is a more in-depth UN from Civilization IV. You can enact trade embargoes, ban specific luxury resources, enact a world ideology or religion, or even ban nukes. Depending on how you tell your delegates to vote on a issue, can result in some hatred from other civilizations. I once was given the option of voting for a world fair, adopting a world religion, or abstaining my votes for that session of congress. I places all my delegates for the world fair, and as a result I got denounced by the majority of civilizations in the game. It was quite interesting to see who my friends were after that, and this is by far a great addition to Civilization V.

Some other noteworthy additions is the inclusion of trade routes, which allows religious pressure, gold, science, food and production to be traded amongst your cities or other civilizations. Spies have the option of being a diplomat, which grants the same abilities only they do not steal technology and they can increase tourism to your cities via propaganda.

Overall, the expansion is well worth the price. Most of the additions help late game, although features such as trade routes can help with early expansion. Brave new world also introduces the features very slowly, in such a pace that it’s easy to quickly understand the new gameplay mechanics. This might be the best Civilization to date.
  2. Jul 9, 2013
    Everything in this patch is good. As was the case with Gods and Kings, we can applaud that the game is finally developing into something worth playing. Which just kind of goes to show what a few of us noted when Civ 5 came out at first. This was a DREADFUL game at launch. This is a very good expansion and fans of the game should run forth to buy it to support their beloved developer.Everything in this patch is good. As was the case with Gods and Kings, we can applaud that the game is finally developing into something worth playing. Which just kind of goes to show what a few of us noted when Civ 5 came out at first. This was a DREADFUL game at launch. This is a very good expansion and fans of the game should run forth to buy it to support their beloved developer. However I find $26 pretty rich in the ongoing saga of repairing a severely deficient experience. As another reviewer said: it's quite sad that Fireaxis and 2K made us go through two main DLC before we can have the feeling of what should have been Civilization V at start. I recommend holding off on playing the game till they finish it and bundle the whole thing as a single price title. Expand
  3. Jul 14, 2013
    Absolutely fantastic expansion. Pretty much every complaint from Civilization is addressed. Boring late game? Gone. Invisible trade? Gone. Basically mandatory for anyone playing Civilization. Try Zulu with mass Impi rush. You'll thank me later.
  4. Jul 9, 2013
    Another large expansion for Civilization V. For those die-hard fans of the most current version this is certainly a worthwhile addition. More depth in the form new systems including risky trade routes, more expansive cultural victory play-style, more Civilizations and a rework of the policy tree all help round out an already well developed game. Surprisingly, the added systems do nothingAnother large expansion for Civilization V. For those die-hard fans of the most current version this is certainly a worthwhile addition. More depth in the form new systems including risky trade routes, more expansive cultural victory play-style, more Civilizations and a rework of the policy tree all help round out an already well developed game. Surprisingly, the added systems do nothing to diminish those already in place, and aren't overwhelming for more casual players. Stubborn fans of the older Civilization incarnations will still find that the game strays from its predecessors but that is the intention and shouldn't be expected. If you're looking for some new tweaks and added depth to your Civilization V experience then that is what you'll get. The price is high, which is expected from past expansions and may be worth waiting for a sale if you're only a lukewarm fan. Expand
  5. Jul 17, 2013
    Civilization V has lost so much of the gameplay that made earlier civ games what they were. Strategic gameplay has been replaced by religion, trade, and other ridiculous mini-games which overly influence win conditions. The Civ V AI leaders have been psychotic from the beginning with dumbed down conditions which cause them to stay forever friendly, attack for no apparent reason orCivilization V has lost so much of the gameplay that made earlier civ games what they were. Strategic gameplay has been replaced by religion, trade, and other ridiculous mini-games which overly influence win conditions. The Civ V AI leaders have been psychotic from the beginning with dumbed down conditions which cause them to stay forever friendly, attack for no apparent reason or otherwise seem idiotic compared to past Civ games.

2K games participation with Valve in bilking preorder customers by putting the game on sale at a substantially reduced price immediately after release is shameful. Their further thowing old Civ IV copies at those unhappy is insulting.

The glory days of a once great franchise seem to be over replaced by laziness and greed.
  6. Jul 25, 2013
    Save the cash and skip this. The game was made worse in every way. The AI isn't any smarter, and now has even larger bonuses. The early game is even more random, with victory having more to do with starting location/civ than anything else. Unhappiness is now a huge issue mid to late game, pretty much crippling any expansion past 5 cities. There's more to click on, more things toSave the cash and skip this. The game was made worse in every way. The AI isn't any smarter, and now has even larger bonuses. The early game is even more random, with victory having more to do with starting location/civ than anything else. Unhappiness is now a huge issue mid to late game, pretty much crippling any expansion past 5 cities. There's more to click on, more things to micro, but they have no real effect on the game. Rather its now significantly more annoying. So far more work, for less fun, less balance, and less strategy. Expand
  7. Oct 17, 2013
    I really don't understand why the hell people are liking this game! They must not have played Civ IV. It barely adds anything to civ, whereas it takes away about half of the tech tree AND diplomacy. WHY CAN'T I SEE WHAT A RULER THINKS ABOUT ANOTHER CIVILIZATION. There are basic diplomatic necessities they've completely removed from the game. I guess I'm reviewing Civ 5 more than I am BraveI really don't understand why the hell people are liking this game! They must not have played Civ IV. It barely adds anything to civ, whereas it takes away about half of the tech tree AND diplomacy. WHY CAN'T I SEE WHAT A RULER THINKS ABOUT ANOTHER CIVILIZATION. There are basic diplomatic necessities they've completely removed from the game. I guess I'm reviewing Civ 5 more than I am Brave New World, but Jesus Christ it's only worsened because the game basically came out in 2 different parts. At this point you'd have to spend about 80 bucks to play Civilization in full. Sure, you can spend 30, and then get about half the civs, plus NO RELIGION. Civ 4 had religions, albeit much simpler than in Brave New World. Why the hell isn't that in Civ 5???
    Here are some other things they added to the glorious Civilization franchise: every unit can become amphibious now, God knows how, they just turn into boats and sail across a lake, cities can directly attack marauders (no more pillaging, sorry!), no stacking units (I could understand a unit stack cap, but only one per tile??? WHY? Now my entire army not only costs a massive amount of money, but I can't find a place to put the bloody thing). Seriously, if you're a Civ 4 player, can't you imagine how difficult it is to move EVERY SINGLE UNIT SEPARATELY IN AN ENTIRE ARMY. The game sucks, I don't understand the reviews at this point. I'm going back to Civ 4.
  8. Sep 6, 2013
    Brave New World crashes.

Brave New World incorporates the Religion and Espionage features from Gods & Kings.
    So many features of both expansions are neither pleasant nor interesting. Save your money.
  9. Jul 9, 2013
    A great update to a game in need of an ending. The generalization that Gods & Kings addressed the first half the game while Brave New World fixes the second half is somewhat true. The new civs also offer dramatically different play styles, which makes this expansion more than a mere evolution but less than a full sequel (say, Civ VI). Worth buying, 100%!
  10. Aug 13, 2013
    Finally Civ 5 does not suck (too much). For this I give it a 9, single player.

Sure the uber slow turns (God help you on a slow PC) are still there, but game is actually what it should be
  11. Jul 29, 2013
    In many ways this update makes the game better than it was, as a stand alone release.
    Sadly though, it doesn't make it a better strategy game. It's just too easy,
    too predictable, and winning doesn't feel good at all. It's just the end of a long, boring grind. It's really funny how you can have virtually no army, and if you get swarmed by the enemy, you can just build a few, and
    Sadly though, it doesn't make it a better strategy game. It's just too easy,
    boring grind.

It's really funny how you can have virtually no army, and if you get swarmed
    by the enemy, you can just build a few, and survive. In my previous game, I took
    out 20 cities using only six units, at the same tech level as my opponent.

The problem is how amazingly stupid the AI is. It makes so many mistakes,
    which ruin the experience for me.

Big tip if you want to take down an empire with six units, is having four landships, and two artillery units.
    With that you can annihilate your enemy with ease, if you make sure to retreat every now and then,
    to heal up.
  12. Dec 16, 2013
    The complexity of Brave New World is wonderful. Now, if Firaxis could only figure out how to fix that pesky little 100% game crash rate with this expansion installed it would be worth owning. Since it currently makes Civ 5 unplayable, I'll rate it accordingly.
  13. Jul 18, 2013
    Finally! AIRPORTS! Tourism is interesting and the revamped cultures brings new life to Civ 5. Still sucks you cannot stack units or have more then 1 unit in a city.
  14. Aug 3, 2013
    - Stable Game
    - Teaches Historical People, Places, Ideologies and Cultures
    - Good Voice acting
  15. Jul 19, 2013
    Trading and diplomacy have never been so vital to interaction incorporating fun variables to Civilization that's separate from typical conquest or scientific triumph. The depths substantive trading routes to ideological friendships have introduced complexity to a previously streamlined franchise and it's kicked Civilization V into the best entry of Civilization's history whilst an echoTrading and diplomacy have never been so vital to interaction incorporating fun variables to Civilization that's separate from typical conquest or scientific triumph. The depths substantive trading routes to ideological friendships have introduced complexity to a previously streamlined franchise and it's kicked Civilization V into the best entry of Civilization's history whilst an echo before lacking much complexity.

Civilization V has finally evolved into the form it had endeavored before expansions but failed incredibly layered whilst simultaneously straightforward without intricate micromanagement or obfuscating design decisions.

Conclusion: From a straightforward but shallow experience of the base, Civilization V BNW has expanded the entry into both depth and coherence a very difficult feat.
  16. Jul 13, 2013
    Maybe the most significant and well tuned version of the game. I still wish for a better visualization of the diplomacy screen but still quite happy with all the changes and additions. Absolutely brilliant. Final note the introduction video is a work of art by itself.
  17. Jul 17, 2013
    This game is GOOD but I can't stop this "more of the same but with different color" with CIV
    I've been playing CIV games since I was 17 (from CIV I onwards) and I feel like aside from few details,
    the game is the same (graphics dont count)
    If you haven't played CIV in a long or never played, buy this one.
    Otherwise, I guess buying it on sale.
  18. Apr 10, 2014
    This expac made an already painful game worse by giving out more of the same: It boasts more bugs, more crashes, more freezes, and more repetitive busy work. The addition of caravans and cargo ships was the worst thing added to any Civ game, ever. It adds nothing to the game, and takes a lot away.
  19. Oct 13, 2013
    This expansion fixes a lot of problems that Gods and Kings did not fix. i have found that the other empires around me are willing to get into long term and deep diplomatic relationships like in the earlier civ games. this was my main complaint about the game and it has been fixed. the new features are welcome to the game and fit in perfectly. the new civilizations are great and i am happyThis expansion fixes a lot of problems that Gods and Kings did not fix. i have found that the other empires around me are willing to get into long term and deep diplomatic relationships like in the earlier civ games. this was my main complaint about the game and it has been fixed. the new features are welcome to the game and fit in perfectly. the new civilizations are great and i am happy to see new civs that have never been introduced to the civ world. also civs returning from older games are welcome back. the combat didn't need fixing so it is still good. so overall i think it is a great buy... i waited until it went on sale because 30 dollars for a DLC is way too much. but it is a must buy if you already own civ. the diplomacy and interactions between other countries is amazing. highly recommended. Expand
  20. Jul 17, 2013
    We need more cheat civs, like Shoshones and boring, like Venice! BNW most unbalanced Civilization ever. Trading system totally violates ballance of AI.
  21. Jul 9, 2013
    Brave New World does a lot to improve Civ V. Beyond the normal addition of civs, buildings and units, it completely revamps the cultural minigame (which was sorely in need of it), adds several new mechanics and fine tunes others. Trading is far more realistic and in depth, with you needing to initiate and guard trade caravans to get their benefits. Tourism is an interesting subcategoryBrave New World does a lot to improve Civ V. Beyond the normal addition of civs, buildings and units, it completely revamps the cultural minigame (which was sorely in need of it), adds several new mechanics and fine tunes others. Trading is far more realistic and in depth, with you needing to initiate and guard trade caravans to get their benefits. Tourism is an interesting subcategory of culture. Religion has some minor changes, such as new policies and beliefs, while espionage adds diplomats, a sort-of spy that doesn't steal tech but can watch and influence your neighbors in other ways. All of it does an excellent job of bringing the different aspects of Civ into one complete package, where everything feels interesting, but nothing seems overpowered. The only (minor) issues I have with BNW is that it doesn't really address the inherent flaws of the AI, and a lot of the mechanics feel like they're designed for larger games with many players. If you play with 2-3 others you're probably going to miss out on some fun. So, the burning question on everyone's mind is whether or not Civ V now measures up to Civ IV: Beyond the Sword. I was pretty hard on Civ V at release, and G&K didn't really do much for me, but now, with all expansions, I can confidently say that Civ V lives up to it's predecessor. Expand
  22. Jul 19, 2013
    Love it. Complexity is now on par with IV. My favorite game of all time. The new ruleset provides a whole new gaming dynamic that focuses less on war. I have always tried for cultural diplomatic and science victories but found myself resorting to domination most of the time. Fantastic game! I won't even dock a point for the whole Steam preorder fiasco.
  23. Jul 11, 2013
    No doubt BNW is very good and Firaxis successfully introduced several innovations. However, I would also mention that the initial Civ5 was severely dumbed down. G&Ks turned Civ5 into a strategy game adding several layers of polish. What BNW achieved is turning the series into a masterpiece, which surely deserves a 9.
    Strictly speaking BNW should have been the first expansion pack. Even if
    Strictly speaking BNW should have been the first expansion pack. Even if BNW is a good one, I cannot forget Firaxis milked us by releasing an incomplete game (vanilla Civ5) and asked us to pay up to fix what was initially broken.
  24. Feb 3, 2014
    Brave New World is definitely a contender for best PC game expansion of 2013. The expansion reinvents how culture works in Civilization V and offers more interesting gameplay when it comes to trading and diplomacy. The only real criticism you could make is that they should've had these in the game in the first place! But that's just the way it is with Civ expansions isn't it? :)
  25. Jul 11, 2013
    First off: if you still don't like civ 5 after gods and kings and you are one of those forever civ 4 types this PROBABLY won't convert you but it can. This expansion does to civ 5 what beyond the sword did to 4. It is a completely different game and the changes are phenomenal. The tourism and world congress are amazing, huge, changes that completely revolutionize the game and it'sFirst off: if you still don't like civ 5 after gods and kings and you are one of those forever civ 4 types this PROBABLY won't convert you but it can. This expansion does to civ 5 what beyond the sword did to 4. It is a completely different game and the changes are phenomenal. The tourism and world congress are amazing, huge, changes that completely revolutionize the game and it's strategies. I was a level 7/8 difficulty player but I have had to ratchet it down to 5 and I'm STILL losing about half my games just because the world congress and tourism effect the way game plays so much. It is the perfect expansion to the game and completes civ 5 (just like bts did to 4) into a masterpiece. If you even slightly liked 5 you owe it to yourself to get this.

The only downside is that I think most of the new civs are really uninteresting gameplay-wise. But that is entirely opinion based on how you like to play.
  26. Jun 27, 2014
    When 2 Civilizations build a Wonder in the same turn, the first player that entered the room in Multiplayer will build it, and the other player will just lose it. Frustrating.
  27. Dec 12, 2013
    I spent a lot of hours playing Civ 5, and it was fun in the beginning but it does get boring very quickly. I was hoping this expansion would do something about that it didn't. It really don't see what is so special about the content in this game. The trade function is nothing incredible, if you completely ignored it, it wouldn't make much difference I think. The art and music element isI spent a lot of hours playing Civ 5, and it was fun in the beginning but it does get boring very quickly. I was hoping this expansion would do something about that it didn't. It really don't see what is so special about the content in this game. The trade function is nothing incredible, if you completely ignored it, it wouldn't make much difference I think. The art and music element is just absurdly poor, you get a little box to put in a little slot, do it the right way and that gives you slight cultural bonus of some sort but it doesn't feel like it adds any real meaning or enhances the gameplay. I played a couple of large custom games, bored me to death, I'm positive I won't come back to this game. Expand
  28. Dec 16, 2013
    Civ 5 is a great game, but I will be frank with my issue: Brave New World is NO WHERE EVEN CLOSE to 30 bucks worth of new content. Firaxis or 2k, whoever is responsible for the pricetag of these expansions, NEEDS TO STOP THIS RIDICULOUSNESS!
    Considering the base game's price tag, and the fact that this is pathetically considered a "rich man's game," these expansions should be priced no more than 15 bucks.

I would prefer to give this expansion a 0/10 for the absurd pricing vs. content, but cannot deny the intuitive, but SIMPLE changes in this expansion that make the base game even better...So I will toss it a couple.
  29. Jul 11, 2013
    "Holy My tourism output is making the population of Rome reject its Autocracy ideology and desire my Freedom ideology!" I said to myself in amazement. While that may sound somewhat dry to the uninitiated, culture play in Civ 5 up until now was a very dry affair. You simply built as many cultural buildings as you could, and kept your empire as small as possible, and hoped to fill 5 trees"Holy My tourism output is making the population of Rome reject its Autocracy ideology and desire my Freedom ideology!" I said to myself in amazement. While that may sound somewhat dry to the uninitiated, culture play in Civ 5 up until now was a very dry affair. You simply built as many cultural buildings as you could, and kept your empire as small as possible, and hoped to fill 5 trees with Policies (talents) before another Civ clenched victory.

The culture changes really tie culture into the broader game. Furthermore, diplomacy is greatly improved. It's no longer just an issue of making friends with enough city-states to get votes. You can now combine city-state relationships with some good old fashioned bribes and threats.

The one full game (difficulty level 5 King) that I was able to get through since release was as Dondolo's Venice. This is one of a handful of new Civs, and in this is probably the most interesting Civ yet. The racial bonus is the ability to acquire City-States with Great Merchants (called "Merchants of Venice"). Also, E Dondolo can only have ONE city plus puppets, though he has the special ability to make purchases through puppet cities (buying units and buildings with gold). Thanks to the new Caravan system I was able to amass an enormous fortune which I could use to quickly erect an army at any of my acquired city-states as needed.

Interestingly, I actually won the game diplomatically by getting myself elected World Leader. I did this in a game with Alexander in it (he specialized in City-States) buy taking over his city state allies, thereby depriving him of all of his world council votes. Fun and interesting!

When looked at as a whole, Brave New World finally makes Civ5 feel complete. The paths to victory outside of domination are far more interesting than they used to be. The game feels more dynamic. It may have been specific to my game, but it seemed to me that other Civs were more willing to engage in trade. Furthermore, it was fun to enact a trade embargo against Rome (the tyrant in this particular game).

There are some minor complaints. For one, the UI from Civ5 could really use some tweaks, and BNW brought nothing new. Also, some of the new talents in the Freedom ideology were pointless, and although I was able to unlock the whole tree I felt like the last few points were wasted. No actual choice if you have enough culture you can eventually buy them all. Also, some Civs were WAY too easy to bribe into voting me world leader. When I have a pile of 25,000 gold, it seems almost silly that Isabella was willing to vote me leader for 500.

Overall though I am in love with this new expansion. I look forward to many more playthroughs and I will update my review accordingly.
  30. Nov 29, 2013
    Brave New World makes some great additions to Civilization V and makes the core game far more enjoyable and tactical. Aside from adding more Civilizations, wonders, buildings and units the game introduces some new mechanics that change the core experience greatly. The introduction of trade using merchants is an interesting addition that makes it easier to obtain large amounts of gold, gainBrave New World makes some great additions to Civilization V and makes the core game far more enjoyable and tactical. Aside from adding more Civilizations, wonders, buildings and units the game introduces some new mechanics that change the core experience greatly. The introduction of trade using merchants is an interesting addition that makes it easier to obtain large amounts of gold, gain science or to spread your religion among other civilizations. Diplomacy now has far more depth through the means of a congress system where you and other civilizations vote on issues that will drastically affect the game. It helps to be tactical with the voting because a certain affect may benefit you, but at the same time it may upset other civilizations and tarnish their relations with you and can even lead to war. The game also adds more great people such as great writers and musicians which can create great works for you and help to increase your culture output, aiding you in achieving a cultural victory. All these new additions are great and help to create a more tactical Civilization experience. This expansion is a must! Expand

1. Oct 7, 2013
    THe Brave New World add-on has a lot of good new stuff: cold war, better cultural victory rules, world congress, archeology… I only wish the AI would be better in battles. [Aug 2013]
  2. Sep 10, 2013
    Brave New World is without a doubt the best expansion to Civilization V. The core gameplay modes and win states has received great and well needed updates which gives a more varied and balanced experience. Of course there is still some dead air during the game sessions but the new content will disappoint no one. Even if it is three years old Civilization V is with this expansion still one of the best ways to combine entertainment with education.
  3. Aug 19, 2013
    It is easily the best additional content so far, although it seems to lack balance because there are several civilizations that are not considered in multiplayer.