Sid Meier's Civilization V PC

7.9

1. Jan 31, 2012
    Let me start by saying that it's a special game. Civ V could go for a single player campaign like Anno series. Go for some tutorials + hours and hours of complicated mission forcing you to fulfill the screenplay writers idea. But that's not Civ V! It has tons of freedom in it's gameplay design and it is not ashamed to use it. You can play it for a week, you can play it for a month. You'llLet me start by saying that it's a special game. Civ V could go for a single player campaign like Anno series. Go for some tutorials + hours and hours of complicated mission forcing you to fulfill the screenplay writers idea. But that's not Civ V! It has tons of freedom in it's gameplay design and it is not ashamed to use it. You can play it for a week, you can play it for a month. You'll be thrilled to see your civilisation blossom. Expand
  2. Nov 20, 2011
    fun if you have the computer power.
    a good board game that can be really fun if played with friends. the endless possibility's of strategy is going to keep you coming back.
    Playing with the ai is good up to 300 turns on a large world, Even with a decent pc, I was waiting a few minutes between turns.
  3. aka
    May 23, 2011
    well this game is one of the best strategy games ever made! however many people believe the game's not good but thatz completely out of the question becuz no other game is a match for this superb game, the addition of the city states was a brilliant idea which make diplomacy win much easier. well over all this game has a lot of exiting features which would completely dominate any fault inwell this game is one of the best strategy games ever made! however many people believe the game's not good but thatz completely out of the question becuz no other game is a match for this superb game, the addition of the city states was a brilliant idea which make diplomacy win much easier. well over all this game has a lot of exiting features which would completely dominate any fault in the game (if it had any), in other words a game that every strategy games players would love! Expand
  4. Feb 14, 2012
    Long Civ fan here, been playing since Civ1 on the Amiga.

Long Civ fan here, been playing since Civ1 on the Amiga.

Civ5 was full of bugs and incomplete features at release. Now, 1 year and half later, it's pretty stable and way more balanced. I have played more than 800 hours and the game is great, it's easily the best strategy game around. I don't give it 10/10 because it still has some flaws that need addressing and because I expected more from a Civ game. In fact some of the problems that rid Civ5 were brilliantly solved in Civ4, it's like Firaxis forgot what they did in their previous game and started from scratch. Despite some flaws, there are no game-breaking problems anymore, the game is great and will give you hundreds of hours of fun, the mod community is alive and there are some excellent mods around.
  5. Jun 13, 2013
    The only thing i miss about this game vs Civilization IV is the politics system, i hate the new social policies and poor cultural victory, but they are going to change that in the next expansion anyway.
    Its easy to pick up for newbies, and experts can think out some complicated devious plan, the combat is much better now (no archers destroying my tanks or spearmen taking down helicopters) and the only thing that is unsatisfying about it is the lack of grenadiers and a bonus against infantry for tanks, otherwise it is really great, the diplomacy is ok but a little dumb and does not lead anywhere, the civilization i am threatening as the only nuclear state (yet) refuses to give me 50 gold, 10 turns later i won a domination victory, however the different personalities are quite nice, if they fix the flaws in a way that cannot be abused and also feels more natural they are going to make the greatest strategy game in history.
  6. Apr 5, 2012
    The latest incarnation of the all time PC classic is the best yet. This latest version has changed to a hex based system and combat has been completely overhauled, making it much more tactical. After the disappointing Civ 4, this is a welcome return to form for the series and the turn based 'just one more go' gameplay is more addictive than ever. This version has integrated modding builtThe latest incarnation of the all time PC classic is the best yet. This latest version has changed to a hex based system and combat has been completely overhauled, making it much more tactical. After the disappointing Civ 4, this is a welcome return to form for the series and the turn based 'just one more go' gameplay is more addictive than ever. This version has integrated modding built into the interface and allows mods to be selected and loaded in-game very easily, giving it infinite replay value. Multiplayer implementation is now a much more viable proposition than in previous versions, making this the complete package. This game will take up many, many hours of your life and therefore comes wholeheartedly recommended.â Expand
  7. Apr 20, 2015
    While more simpler and straightforward than other entries in the Civilization series, Civilization V, despite possessing an overwhelming sense of something missing, is a fun and enjoyable game nonetheless. A game that seems more tailored to newcomers to the franchise, Civilization V pays great respect to presentation, with a more alive and animated gameplay that Civilization IV had leftWhile more simpler and straightforward than other entries in the Civilization series, Civilization V, despite possessing an overwhelming sense of something missing, is a fun and enjoyable game nonetheless. A game that seems more tailored to newcomers to the franchise, Civilization V pays great respect to presentation, with a more alive and animated gameplay that Civilization IV had left mostly to the imagination, bringing new life into the world that players have been running around in for the past two decades.

While experienced Civilization players may find emptiness in the many removed and replaced features and aspects compared to Civilization IV and previous entries in the franchise, others can find elation and waste countless hours with a game that, on it's own, proves to be one hell of an experience. What contributes mostly to the game's attractive atmosphere are the opponents you play against. In Civilization V, all leaders that you compete alongside have been given such rich personalities through vivid animation and luscious voice acting, giving new strategy to gameplay that isn't necessarily a physical aspect of the game, but rather an emotional one. For example, Caesar's passive-agressive attitude and Wu Zetian's consistently defiant personality gives weight to the player's actions against these particular people, deepening the fog of war and giving a new dimension to the gameplay.

While Civilization V is undoubtedly better with the Gods and Kings and Brave New World expansion packs which have been released in the years following the game's original release, the original "vanilla" release is still a great game on it's own. Having played it bare for five years, I still think Civilization V is one of the best PC games on the market. Bold and beautiful, it's definitely a game you must play at least once before you die. Or twice. Or a hundred times.
  8. Apr 24, 2012
    The first time a turn-based strategy game has been as fun as an RTS game like Starcraft 2. A great game, very enjoyable and refined gameplay.
    Pros: graphics, singleplayer experience, gameplay, music, lore, vision
    Cons: multiplayer is sometimes buggy, doesn't support animations at present
  9. Dec 16, 2012
    My first time playing the civilization series and I got hooked on it. It is much fun and challenging - right when you think you just might have peace with your neighbor civs they attack you from all sides. A really fun game to play.
  10. Jul 2, 2013
    They decided to try to revamp the Civ series with Civ V, and in my opinion, they did a pretty decent job.

If you are coming from Civ IV, there are quite a large number of changes that you need to note, the largest thing they changed was the fact that the map is hex-based and you are limited to 1 military, and 1 civilian unit per hex. This does allot to fix the anemic combat in the Civ games, and adds a large amount of actual strategy to fights, instead of moving stacks of death to steam-roll things. They also made it very hard to attack cities compared to before, since cities actually have a large amount of power, and can actually hold off a crowd of units by themselves.

Anyways, if you enjoy building and managing an empire with the focus on managing the empire combined with some turn based combat, then Civ V is a great choice. If you didnt really like the Civ series before this due to the combat, try this one, its much better.

The vanilla game is fun, but I would heavily recommend that you get the God & Kings expansion at the very least, as it fixes a ton of issues with the combat (all units health are measured with 100x more HP, so a modern tank cant be destroyed by bum-rushing with a mob of super low tech units), and adds a bunch of new things in the mix like espionage and religion.

If you decide to get this game, get the gold edition. Prepare to lose many hours of sleep to this game once you start playing though... a standard game will last anywhere between 8-10 hours on average.
  11. Nov 21, 2011
    I loved the game, but am disappointed with how much is being sold as DLC rather than being included in the original game, and DLC that only adds civilizations and not really anything new or interesting. I do like most of the changes to the base game, but overall it is just another addition to a very successful franchise.
  12. Feb 3, 2013
    I've been playing this franchise since Civ III Vanilla came out. It took a little while for me to get used to Civ V because I was used to the way things worked in past games. Managing your happiness, gold, culture, and science is no longer as simple as adjusting a slider. You have to have a plan for each of your cities or your goals won't be realized, especially on higher difficultyI've been playing this franchise since Civ III Vanilla came out. It took a little while for me to get used to Civ V because I was used to the way things worked in past games. Managing your happiness, gold, culture, and science is no longer as simple as adjusting a slider. You have to have a plan for each of your cities or your goals won't be realized, especially on higher difficulty settings. I don't like it as much as I liked Civ IV, but I haven't gone back to Civ IV either. The G&K expansion adds some nice touches with religion and espionage. Plus a whole lot of new Civilizations. Civilization still sets the bar for strategy games. Expand
  13. May 25, 2014
    Love the game, the maps are varied and massive, the sheer number of different victories possible is awesome. the large number of different difficulty settings challenge and accommodate all player types. and the whole game has that addictive, "Just one more turn!" quality. Only grievance, is that there are too many Native American/South American Civilizations, and as typical of all games,Love the game, the maps are varied and massive, the sheer number of different victories possible is awesome. the large number of different difficulty settings challenge and accommodate all player types. and the whole game has that addictive, "Just one more turn!" quality. Only grievance, is that there are too many Native American/South American Civilizations, and as typical of all games, they assume the only great Indian is Ghandi (completely ignoring others such as Ashoka, Shah Jahan, and 101+ more) Expand
  14. Oct 28, 2011
    I played Civ 2 but that was a long time ago. I really enjoyed how they've removed so much of the tedious parts of the game (micro managing workers for instance) and you can play a game in a couple of hours now although 3-6 is probably average. Lots more ways to win. The various achievements encourage you to try the different races. I was able to figure the game out without too muchI played Civ 2 but that was a long time ago. I really enjoyed how they've removed so much of the tedious parts of the game (micro managing workers for instance) and you can play a game in a couple of hours now although 3-6 is probably average. Lots more ways to win. The various achievements encourage you to try the different races. I was able to figure the game out without too much trouble. The multitude of difficulty levels means that players of EVERY ability will have fun. As you get better with strategy, you can slowly raise the difficulty level. This is important to keep frustration levels down. The graphics are really nice. Expand
  15. Nov 8, 2011
    An amazingly well done game to add to this great franchise of games. the new hex tiles work so much better than the previous tiles. Only complaint is the ai can be a bit dim witted at times.
  16. Aug 12, 2013
    One of my favorite strategy games. I always thought Civ was a boring series, but after playing Civ V during a Steam free weekend I actually enjoyed it. It allows you to forge your own empire, and choose whether to pursue a republic of peace, or an empire of destruction. Fun, addictive turn-based game. Hasn't crashed once on me.
  17. Nov 15, 2011
    I have played Civ since the first one!!! This is another great addition to the great series! Some feathers are good some not but overall it's still amazing game! I just hope they won't dumb down it too much in next one!!!
  18. Jun 12, 2013
    Civ V is a fantastic strategy game. This is my first foray into the series and I am very impressed. I've lost hours in its infinite replayability and addicting gameplay. Definitely one of the best Turn based Strategy games available.
  19. Nov 14, 2011
    Okay I love it. Great game graphics, I love the integration of city-states and the tech-tree is so diverse. I could go on and on about the pros of Civ V. The game was so well made and I highly advise this game for anyone to purchase. Only one con, something I liked from Civ Rev, whatever happened to culturally converting cities?
  20. Dec 5, 2011
    If you enjoy the turn based strategy genre, this is the game for you. I felt it improved on almost every aspect of the previous versions of the Civ universe.
  21. Nov 20, 2011
    This score may be a little misleading considering this game probably ties Civilization 3 with the lowest score I'd give a game in this wonderful series. That being said the game made a couple of bold choices that I believe help move the series forward. The two ideas I really love in this game is the one unit per tile combat system and the policy tree system. Many probably loved theThis score may be a little misleading considering this game probably ties Civilization 3 with the lowest score I'd give a game in this wonderful series. That being said the game made a couple of bold choices that I believe help move the series forward. The two ideas I really love in this game is the one unit per tile combat system and the policy tree system. Many probably loved the governments in the former games and I liked them too but I feel this system shows the evolution of a civilization better than a I'm going to be a despot for most of the game then suddenly switch to communism or democracy towards the end. I feel it shows the idea that the history of your culture is not lost and allows ideas like England having a republic/democracy but keeping its original monarchy structure. Also allows for more customization of exactly how your economy/government structure is going to function. The things that disappoint me about the game is global happiness and the lack of espionage. Global happiness is too dumbed down and it's unrealistic that a poor town on the fringe of your empire would have the same happiness level as the capital city that is a thriving metropolis. The lack of espionage to me is the biggest miss, I enjoyed both using espionage to my advantage and defending my cities from enemy use of espionage. It's a vital part of the dynamics of war and diplomacy throughout history and I wish they would have kept the idea in the games. Overall a good game, not on the level of Civ 2 or Civ 4 but another yet another good addition that helps move the series forward. Expand
  22. Nov 23, 2011
    I have always loved civilization games and IV (both expansions, but especially BTS; Beyond the Sword) was by far the best. That would be as close to a 10 as I could give to any game. With that being said, As much as I love Civ 5, there are definitely some downsides. The good: Graphics are decent, gameplay is new and inventive, battles are epic and amazing, and a lot of theI have always loved civilization games and IV (both expansions, but especially BTS; Beyond the Sword) was by far the best. That would be as close to a 10 as I could give to any game. With that being said, As much as I love Civ 5, there are definitely some downsides. The good: Graphics are decent, gameplay is new and inventive, battles are epic and amazing, and a lot of the console/management system has been streamlined. On the flip side, it's amazing what streamlining can do and how much of the game they gutted. This is very much a micromanagement game to the core and they took out quite a lot of those options! Let alone some of the other minor issues, this feels like a game that was re done but not quite done fully. I feel that this game could have utilized system resources better (processors/RAM) and the AI should at this day and age been revamped to a point where it is slightly more intelligent than mathematical numbers (I know, I know, what else does it have? Either the AI is too stupid or too smart to the point of cheating...). My biggest pet peeve is all of the crazy DLC they keep pumping out and selling, very disapointing to see the marketing involved in this and how big of sell-outs they have become. We will never get the same value for our games again. At the end of the day, I won't lie when I say I have probably pumped in close to 200 hours into this game and I definitely found it to be worthwhile, there are definite quirks and minor things that I wish could be fixed. Expand
  23. Jun 11, 2013
    Absolutely loved the game. I'm not a fan of Civ games, nor have I played any previous versions, but I really like this game. Don't listen to the other junkies talking about how they didn't like the game. Because I can tell you now that they have most given up after the first release of the game. Many DLC has been released, and the gold edition with ALL DLC is only ~90 bucks on steam,Absolutely loved the game. I'm not a fan of Civ games, nor have I played any previous versions, but I really like this game. Don't listen to the other junkies talking about how they didn't like the game. Because I can tell you now that they have most given up after the first release of the game. Many DLC has been released, and the gold edition with ALL DLC is only ~90 bucks on steam, saving you another 90 bucks. 100% worth it, and can't wait for the school holidays so I can smash it up. Expand
  24. Jan 20, 2012
    A fun game with lots of replay value. The main things I dont' like about it is the overly aggressive AI. Your ally from the last 100 turns could just choose to attack you over nothing because you might be a threat considering you share borders. The game has quite a good balance between accessibility and depth, but I'd like to have more depth in combat, while it is still a vast improvementA fun game with lots of replay value. The main things I dont' like about it is the overly aggressive AI. Your ally from the last 100 turns could just choose to attack you over nothing because you might be a threat considering you share borders. The game has quite a good balance between accessibility and depth, but I'd like to have more depth in combat, while it is still a vast improvement over previous iterations. Expand
  25. Apr 21, 2015
    If you are going to buy Civ V or new to the series get Sid Meier's Civilization V: Complete Edition instead, since this is the the best and the definitive version of Civ V with all the flaws ironed out.
  26. Dec 22, 2011
    I play Civ series from Civ II, and every new version have something new. I like new graphics but also only one unit per hex is also better solution than endless stack units.
  27. Dec 29, 2011
    Best Civilization game so far. I've played 200 hours without even noticing that I did. Addicting, easy to play and deep. The DLCs sucks, though. You really get nothing for your money if you buy those. I wish they released an expansion instead.
  28. Jan 25, 2012
    PART I of II

Well, where to start?
    First my two cents on the reasons for the release of a bug and untested product.
    Mind my lack of punctuation but the Metacritic site does not like quotes, parenthesis and the likeâ
  29. Feb 28, 2012
    I played about 20 hours of Civ IV almost 5 years ago so my memory of the game is hazy, and I basically came into Civ 5 as a newcomer. The game is addicting. I can see why veterans prefer the previous title. It was more challenging, there were more civilizations, multiplayer was more stable, it was DRM free, etc. Civ 5 makes it much easier to learn the game and presents a superior interfaceI played about 20 hours of Civ IV almost 5 years ago so my memory of the game is hazy, and I basically came into Civ 5 as a newcomer. The game is addicting. I can see why veterans prefer the previous title. It was more challenging, there were more civilizations, multiplayer was more stable, it was DRM free, etc. Civ 5 makes it much easier to learn the game and presents a superior interface and better graphics (which it better do since it came out in 2010 and the budget I assume was huge). The strategy is still there and the introduction of the hex grid is arguably better. For newcomers, this is a great place to start and get a feel for the game. What I dislike about the game are the poor AI diplomacy, unfair AI difficulty in later settings, and a botched multiplayer that lacks turn animations, has consistent connectivity issues, and puts players in unfair location on the map (sometimes 3 players can be on the same continent while a 4th player is by himself on a separate continent). But aside from that, it's still a fun game and I've spent 70 hours with it so far. Expand
  30. Dec 30, 2012
    By far, the best of the Civilization games. It doesn't havee the messy combat system from Civ IV, it doesn't have units moving half-way accross the map in one turn and it has cities that defend themselves! Finally! 2 units fighting means both taking damage, not one living and the other being relatively unharmed! It has city-states, a notable improvement. Air combat has greatly improved andBy far, the best of the Civilization games. It doesn't havee the messy combat system from Civ IV, it doesn't have units moving half-way accross the map in one turn and it has cities that defend themselves! Finally! 2 units fighting means both taking damage, not one living and the other being relatively unharmed! It has city-states, a notable improvement. Air combat has greatly improved and now embarking maks naval assaults possible! Expand
  31. Mar 3, 2012
    There are a lot of good ideas here but unfortunately a myriad of performance issues and a sloppy multiplayer mode prevents this Civ iteration from achieving true greatness.
  32. Mar 5, 2012
    Best game I have ever played, Been playing for about 1.5 years, have been playing for awhile, never had a problem with the game, game play is great, it requires a brain, or just common sense, a bit of both and you could amount to something, the community is what sells it for me, everyone after awhile knows everyone, you will be meeting pass friends of the game, i can name several off theBest game I have ever played, Been playing for about 1.5 years, have been playing for awhile, never had a problem with the game, game play is great, it requires a brain, or just common sense, a bit of both and you could amount to something, the community is what sells it for me, everyone after awhile knows everyone, you will be meeting pass friends of the game, i can name several off the top of my head, this game opens up new challenges with the DLC's too! I love this game. Expand
  33. Mar 13, 2012
    Firstly, I'm not really sure what all the complaints are for. I came here during the recent Steam sale, and after playing Civ IV, I wanted to see what was new. Let's just say I'm impressed - it's hard to begin where to start. The graphics and whole UI overhaul is great, the best out of the games so far, and I really love the new HUD controls onscreen (the best thing probably being theFirstly, I'm not really sure what all the complaints are for. I came here during the recent Steam sale, and after playing Civ IV, I wanted to see what was new. Let's just say I'm impressed - it's hard to begin where to start. The graphics and whole UI overhaul is great, the best out of the games so far, and I really love the new HUD controls onscreen (the best thing probably being the notification button above the map and the info panes to the right). It's easy to use without being dumbed down.

Secondly, the games itself is great! As always, there are plenty of ways to win and make friends or fight enemies. I'm not quite sure if its new, but I enjoyed having allies in the surrounding 'city-states' (places in the game that take up land, but aren't fighting to win the game), which really helps if you're in a war without support. I personally haven't tried out the multiplayer mode, but single player is super (as always).

In conclusion, I wouldn't spend a lot on the game, but its worth the money, and certainly killed a lot of my time!
  34. Mar 19, 2012
    Nice turn based strategy game. You will be in charge of managing the development of a civilization. You will be challenge by other civilizations who will compete against you and others for land and resources; you can manage your victory in several ways: For example, a civilization can win by Cultural Victory or by Domination Victory (other victory conditions available). The game let youNice turn based strategy game. You will be in charge of managing the development of a civilization. You will be challenge by other civilizations who will compete against you and others for land and resources; you can manage your victory in several ways: For example, a civilization can win by Cultural Victory or by Domination Victory (other victory conditions available). The game let you create military units that range from ancient times (archers for example) to modern era (tanks!). You also have to manage city resources (although it can be automated) like food, production and mines, for that purpose several buildings can be constructed. Also, community mods (extra content for free) is available. For those interested in achievements, this game has Steam achievements. I haven't play the multiplayer part of this game. Well, that's all. Expand
  35. Mar 22, 2012
    A great addition to the Civilization series, but not quite as good as Civ IV. The removal of things like espionage and religion, only to be re-added in a later expansion, is very disappointing. It does try to shake things up by not only going to a hex tile system instead of squares, but only allowing one unit per space when before you could stack up an entire continental army on a singleA great addition to the Civilization series, but not quite as good as Civ IV. The removal of things like espionage and religion, only to be re-added in a later expansion, is very disappointing. It does try to shake things up by not only going to a hex tile system instead of squares, but only allowing one unit per space when before you could stack up an entire continental army on a single space. A lot of players see such a huge change as a bad thing but being different isn't necessarily being worse. Expand
  36. Mar 13, 2014
    Despite it rocky start civ5 with the brave new world expansion must now surely go down as the greatest civ title of all, with the introduction of mechanics like, tourism, world congress and the new trading system it all leads to a very challenging and rewarding strategy simulation.
  37. May 14, 2012
    Good version of Civ games, new generation of victory conditions and interactions with other nations on map. Graphics good, replayability good, a knock on in game cutscenes being replaces with static images, and some on screen improvement tiles losing in game action. The mines used to actually have cars and flames, etc.
  38. Jun 9, 2015
    Excellent in every way, one of the best strategy games I have ever played. Armies are more manageable than ever and the policies add an interesting meta. (It would have been a 10 with the xpack included)
  39. May 19, 2012
    Civilization V is currently my absolute favorite strategy game that I have played. Civilization V is a brilliant game with excellent gameplay and graphics, but obviously the main qualm it has with most players is that it seems inferior to Civ IV. Well, having played Civ IV, I can say that Civ V is massively better, in terms of gameplay, graphics, and general playability. Large problems inCivilization V is currently my absolute favorite strategy game that I have played. Civilization V is a brilliant game with excellent gameplay and graphics, but obviously the main qualm it has with most players is that it seems inferior to Civ IV. Well, having played Civ IV, I can say that Civ V is massively better, in terms of gameplay, graphics, and general playability. Large problems in Civ IV included STACKS OF DOOM, in which one could create a bloody massive army and generally annihilate everything in your way. With Civ V this is removed, and strategy comes back instead of blind unit spamming. Expand
  40. May 29, 2012
    I have been playing Civilization since the first game was released back in 1991. I can only give this game 9/10 with all the expansions installed. Without the expansions and without the patches that have been released to day it is a 7/10 at best. I am a fan. I avoid multi-player because I ONLY play Marathon game-length. The AI is pretty stupid and predictable, but I play to win! It is anI have been playing Civilization since the first game was released back in 1991. I can only give this game 9/10 with all the expansions installed. Without the expansions and without the patches that have been released to day it is a 7/10 at best. I am a fan. I avoid multi-player because I ONLY play Marathon game-length. The AI is pretty stupid and predictable, but I play to win! It is an enjoyable game, and I am a fan of no unit stacking. I always hated that I could make an invincible stack that would move around the game as a stack of death razing every city I came accross until I won. Combat is great in this game! It requires strat. You have to move an army into place before-hand, plan your routes, use land and sea, you need to send in reinforcements to areas which are wearing down... and none of the pathetic click and win RTS style. I am a Big fan of this game. Expand
  41. Sep 8, 2013
    This review is based upon over 250 hours of gameplay

Why you should buy it: -Intelligent UI -Dynamic and unique civilizations to play -Gameplay is PERFECTLY paced if you like turn-based strategy -Research system is logical and requires strategy -Variety of victory paths gives you a dynamic gameplay experience (replayable) Why you should think twice: -Combat is static and boring
    This review is based upon over 250 hours of gameplay

Why you should buy it:
    -Intelligent UI
    -Dynamic and unique civilizations to play
    -Gameplay is PERFECTLY paced if you like turn-based strategy
    -Research system is logical and requires strategy
    -Variety of victory paths gives you a dynamic gameplay experience (replayable)

Why you should think twice:
    -Combat is static and boring
    -AI diplomacy is basic
    -AI trading is linear
    -Aircraft can get stuck in combat loop

Conclusion: Some minor issues, but overall I LOVED this game. Probably one of the few games I have played this much over the past year. WORTH your money.
  42. Jun 2, 2012
    This is what happens when develpors listen to the gamer's. Awesome games come out that follow the legacy of its predecessor. Civ 5 is truly excellent just like Civ 4 but the only thing i miss is being able to look into the city and see all the buildinds you built.
  43. Nov 21, 2013
    I bought it for 75% off and I also have an extra free copy from a giveaway. This game keeps me entertained for many hours, even days. The final question is, did I get my money's worth? I say yes. That's all that matters.

I suggest trying out the demo before buying the game if you are unsure.
  44. Jun 18, 2012
    I loved Panzer General and found combat in prior Civs to be annoying, as there were just too many units. Now, I love to march my units line abreast into enemy territory and find the military part of the game to be fun. So, despite not being able to play on the largest map (my dual core just takes too long in the late game turns - hmm the PC turns 5 in November - maybe I should get a new PCI loved Panzer General and found combat in prior Civs to be annoying, as there were just too many units. Now, I love to march my units line abreast into enemy territory and find the military part of the game to be fun. So, despite not being able to play on the largest map (my dual core just takes too long in the late game turns - hmm the PC turns 5 in November - maybe I should get a new PC - nah, it still works), I will now try out the new expansion, Gods & Kings. Yes, this review is long overdue - I have been playing Civ V since about 2 days after it was initially relesed in 2010. Rate it a 10. Expand
  45. Jul 22, 2013
    Never played Civilization before and having decided to purchase Civilization V I found myself getting to grasp pretty easily how things operate, At first the turn based aspect put me off but then found myself playing for 5 hours straight completely addicted.

I've played a fair share of strategy games but Civ V has made my top 3.
  46. Jul 28, 2013
    WARNING: Do not play unless you have many hours to spare! You WILL get addicted, and lose the time. Of course though, that's a commendable accomplishment on the game's part. It is so fun, and I always find myself trying a new strategy with a new character, or what mods there are on the Steam Workshop. With Brave New World recently released, you're in for one LONG play session(s)
  47. Dec 25, 2013
    Civilization V is one of the best turn-based strategy games (very addictive). Not many problems but overly aggressive A.I. is really kind of annoying.
  48. Jan 4, 2013
    This Civ V brings lower depth to the series but with it's new Workshop players are able to create a new experience with mods. With the new Workshop people are able to get a mod that creates more depth to an equal level with Civ IV such as this http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=77097295&searchtext=Nights
  49. Dec 7, 2015
    It's a very strong entry to the series of a well-deserved praise. I rate Civ V as a whole game with all the expansions so you might wish to buy some sort of golden edition for a complete experience since expansions add a lot.
  50. Jul 26, 2013
    As a lifetime of Civilization and Alpha Centauri, I liked this game. Actually, the 5th version is better than 3d and 4th. It's also slightly better than Civ 2 but still a bit worse than Alpha Centauri.
    The new things i liked were the hex grid, the ranged units (though they were in Alpha Centauri already), the cities which can fire at enemies, the OCC mode, the civ-specific bonuses, the culture and growth of city-worked area.
    The things I didn't like are the independent cities (useless and pointless addition, I just conquered them all), the strange new system of happiness (depends on special resources, wft), and the strange system of government tweaking (you just unlock something once, and it stays).
    Overall, it's a good game and I played it 5 or 10 times in total, won on 6th level of difficulty (but never managed to beat the 7th). I am still playing Alpha Centauri and have been playing it for 10 years at least, just for comparison.
    Cmon guys, please make Alpha Centauri 2.
  51. Apr 2, 2013
    This is game is pure strategy. If you're looking for a game like AoE or Warcraft, you probably need to look elsewhere, but if you like turn based games, you came to the right place.
    Everything in this game needs to be done patiently, and time is not a problem, so if you forget to do something, it's not the game's fault.
    One of the best features is the longevity. I can play two days in a
    One of the best features is the longevity. I can play two days in a single map. And the variety of units is amazing. The AI seems smart in higher levels of difficulty, but annoyingly dumb in easier modes. And visually it looks very nice!
    But the lack of options to "talk" to other civilizations (single player) and city states, is one of the things that takes 1 point from perfection. And the almost non existence of unique units from the various empires is something that makes gamers think twice before play it multiple times. Some variety would be much appreciated.
  52. Nov 29, 2012
    TOP Game! Absolut super! Jedes Civ hatte seine Vor- und Nachteile, aber Civ V ist das, ich sag mal, abgerundeste! Es macht super Spaß, schicke Grafik und es macht immer wieder mal Spaß seine Zivilisation aufzubauen! :-) Bin nach wie vor begeistert!
  53. Aug 31, 2014
    I've never played a Civ game before. And from screenshots, reviews and lets play videos, this seemed like the most boring video game ever. But I was looking for good games I haven't played and decided to give this a try. At first, I sucked bad, got bored and just Retired when I pissed off every other nation by invading a city-state and then tried to invade Portugal with a few brawl units..I've never played a Civ game before. And from screenshots, reviews and lets play videos, this seemed like the most boring video game ever. But I was looking for good games I haven't played and decided to give this a try. At first, I sucked bad, got bored and just Retired when I pissed off every other nation by invading a city-state and then tried to invade Portugal with a few brawl units.. On my second day playing, 7 hours went by without me even realizing it. I'm making progress and I can't stop thinking about what to do next with my session.

This game has a steep learning curve, and it might not even be "fun" in the traditional way; but once you grasp the basics (something made very simple with a very thorough in-game tutorial system), then you can easily spend countless hours building your Civ and never realizing it.

I don't know if this is the best Civilization game out there or not, nor do I care; this game is like a drug.
  54. Dec 6, 2012
    i have to say the best one yet, have played it for over 300h since release. AI plays great, the hex grid and no troop stacking......... = all great moves to make it more strategic and challenging.
  55. Feb 7, 2013
    this is one of the best games that I have ever played, I find it easy and fast to understand, fun to play and the IA is just epic. I recommend it to everyone
  56. Mar 5, 2013
    This is the first Civilization I've ever played, and I have so much fun with it. If you're not comparing it to any of the previous games, it's a great game. I do wish I could stack units like you apparently could in the old games, but on a Huge map, it isn't so much of an issue. Well worth the money spent.
  57. Dec 19, 2012
    Civilization itself is a work of improved its grand chapter. Here is the incursion of new technologies, counselors, and draw some possibilities of Chapter IV, which are mostly of military strategies (where one can no longer join several troops in the same area), and that the areas do not expand automatically only, here you have to buy 'lots' to expand the boundaries. Among all recentCivilization itself is a work of improved its grand chapter. Here is the incursion of new technologies, counselors, and draw some possibilities of Chapter IV, which are mostly of military strategies (where one can no longer join several troops in the same area), and that the areas do not expand automatically only, here you have to buy 'lots' to expand the boundaries. Among all recent strategy games, Civilization V is by far the best. Expand
  58. Dec 24, 2012
    Love this game! Played it quite a bit when it was first released but was only ever average at it. Have revisited this game over the last few months, and read up a bit on tips & tricks and with the new patch this game is pretty much perfect. LOVE the music score. Really cant fault the game at all. Bring on Civ VI is all I can say.
  59. Dec 29, 2012
    The game is plays well enough, looks nice and has great peripheral qualities. However it ultimately feels like a step back from CIV 4. Many of the intriguing elements of the previous installment are missing here. There is less resources, less improvements, no religion and your limited to one unit per tile. The global happiness mechanic doesn't perform as intended. The civ-specificThe game is plays well enough, looks nice and has great peripheral qualities. However it ultimately feels like a step back from CIV 4. Many of the intriguing elements of the previous installment are missing here. There is less resources, less improvements, no religion and your limited to one unit per tile. The global happiness mechanic doesn't perform as intended. The civ-specific abilities are extremely unbalanced. City states are more a nuisance than anything else and are out of place in a 4X game. Expand
  60. Jan 3, 2013
    I've played civilization since Civ 2 was out and I really love the series. As always, there are a large number of changes from the last installment, but it still retains the basic feel of civilization. There are things I feel are improvements over the last installment, and things I do not feel are better, but for the most part I see the differences as positive. I would have given it aI've played civilization since Civ 2 was out and I really love the series. As always, there are a large number of changes from the last installment, but it still retains the basic feel of civilization. There are things I feel are improvements over the last installment, and things I do not feel are better, but for the most part I see the differences as positive. I would have given it a rating of 10, but there are some stability issues that cause frequent crashes. Update all drivers and run DXDIAG before playing, and even then, save often. Expand
  61. Jan 3, 2013
    Perfect instalment for Civ. Cities have been simplified to some degree, making specialized cities isn't quite as crucial as it was in Civ4 due to the fact that most national wonders aren't % increases. All the economy is a bit more steamlined. Combat is infinitely better then Civ 4 which is where Civ 5 really shines. No more stack of doom mass seige garbage. You need a good plan whenPerfect instalment for Civ. Cities have been simplified to some degree, making specialized cities isn't quite as crucial as it was in Civ4 due to the fact that most national wonders aren't % increases. All the economy is a bit more steamlined. Combat is infinitely better then Civ 4 which is where Civ 5 really shines. No more stack of doom mass seige garbage. You need a good plan when warring and you really need to take terrain into account. Passing through a choke point will favor ranged units, wide open flat terrain will favor melee and cavalry. Great game. Expand
  62. Jan 17, 2013
    É um clássico! Todos os jogos dessa franquia de 1991 são ótimos.
    Civilization V não fica atrás e realmente vale a pena, dá pra ficar horas direto.
    É um clássico! Todos os jogos dessa franquia de 1991 são ótimos.
    Pra quem nunca jogou nenhum deles, vale a pena deixar pra comprar a expansão Gods & Kings depois, mas pra quem já está familiarizado com a série, sugiro nem jogar antes de comprar a expansão.

É uma parte importante do jogo que não deveria vir em um DLC, mas no pacote principal, já que não é uma adesão apenas de recursos e não de conteúdo. Espionagem e Religião, Profetas, Missionários, Inquisidores, manipulação de eleições e roubo de tecnologia são algumas novidades de Gods & Kings.
  63. Feb 12, 2013
    This is an excellent game that you can spend many hours playing. I can also leave this game for a few months and come right back and have no issues with with remembering how to do things because it is very user friendly. That said, I think it is somewhat like Civilization for dummies compared to Civ 4 because of its simplification, but it is still very good. Graphics and game-play are great.
  64. Jul 6, 2014
    REVIEW UPDATE---The best strategy game in gaming history. It's so addicting that you can play this like 16 hours straight easily. Excellent make this also it's mods. It has so many good mods in Steam Workshop. Only reason why this game is a 9/10 cause of it's multiplayer sucks. Lobbies are hard to join. Saving is almost impossible. Also and well you see when play this game. Then u knowREVIEW UPDATE---The best strategy game in gaming history. It's so addicting that you can play this like 16 hours straight easily. Excellent make this also it's mods. It has so many good mods in Steam Workshop. Only reason why this game is a 9/10 cause of it's multiplayer sucks. Lobbies are hard to join. Saving is almost impossible. Also and well you see when play this game. Then u know what i'm taking about. 9/10. Expand
  65. Mar 2, 2013
    A great addition to the Civilization series. The new one unit per tile setting allows for great and strategic games. Diplomacy is a bit of a down point, thus no 10/10 game.
  66. Mar 4, 2013
    My first experience with a series of "Civilization" I would rate positively. This is good and nice strategy game giving a lot of possibilities to create and lead their own civilization to victory. The game addictive well but end-game is boring
  67. Oct 21, 2013
    I have always loved strategy type games in the this one did not let me down! I use my game on a MAC and it runs perfectly. The graphics and game play are smooth and I do like to plan my attacks on other civs. With the inclusion of different parameters such as the happiness index makes you think about what the leader is doing, if its good or bad. Hopefully new updates will expand theseI have always loved strategy type games in the this one did not let me down! I use my game on a MAC and it runs perfectly. The graphics and game play are smooth and I do like to plan my attacks on other civs. With the inclusion of different parameters such as the happiness index makes you think about what the leader is doing, if its good or bad. Hopefully new updates will expand these different parameters.

I guess my only real complaint is the maps and having to pay to get new maps (and Civs) into the game; the prices are not all that bad, $4 to $5.

Keep it up 2K!
  68. Dec 16, 2013
    I bought this during a major sale and to be honest, thought it was quite boring at first. Every once in a while I would get in the mood to play it, would get a few hours into a match, and then end up quitting it or starting a new one.
    These games were never my type of game anyway...
    These games were never my type of game anyway...

However, recently I picked the game back up and started a new match. This time, I managed to make it into the 1700s-1800s and found myself getting extremely into the game. After minding my own business for quite some time, Queen Elizabeth started spying on me and stole my technology! I mean, what a b****! I gave her luxury pearls for nothing when her kingdom needed it most! So I decided to go and confront her about it and she just blows me off! This is unacceptable! Let's see how she feels when her Prodestant missionaries show up in my Buddhist's Holy City again!!!...And then after I wiped her smug attitude off the continent, I took over the World Congress and enacted MY religion as the world religion! I hold 60% of the delegates and no one will stop me! MY RELIGION WILL RULE THE WORLD!!!!!!

You get the idea.....
  69. Mar 14, 2013
    This is the first game I've played in the Civ series, which is probably why I'm giving it an 8/10. Civ 5 does have faults, but they're not as nagging to me as they might be to a true Civ veteran. Diplomacy is broken, and has been through several patches (even G&K didn't fix it). Why is it that I can sell a luxury for 240 gold easily to someone else, but when I try to buy one of theirThis is the first game I've played in the Civ series, which is probably why I'm giving it an 8/10. Civ 5 does have faults, but they're not as nagging to me as they might be to a true Civ veteran. Diplomacy is broken, and has been through several patches (even G&K didn't fix it). Why is it that I can sell a luxury for 240 gold easily to someone else, but when I try to buy one of their surplus luxuries for 240, they woefully demand I give them half of my cities as well as 3 additional luxuries? Other than that oversight, the game is sleek and pretty in its design and gameplay. Civ personalities are more or less true to nature, and the random personalities option is ALWAYS a pleasure. I haven't played anything past difficulty 5, so I'm unsure of how stacked the odds are in your favor of winning through anything other than domination. I enjoy the game immensely on Prince difficulty as it seems the most balanced for my caliber. If you have an interest in turn-based strategy that isn't wholly polluted with infinitesimal management points, this is a wonderful game to start with. The large selection of civs, as well as cheap DLC, will keep you coming back for years to come (if it's true that Civ 6 isn't coming until Q4 2015). Can't wait for the next installment or DLC. Expand
  70. Mar 20, 2013
    I've played Civ for a long time the mid 90s. I really like the wai CiV have turned out unit stacking is gone, and i really love it. I would point out that many of the annoyances poited out in negative reviews were fixed with later patches and in the God and Kings expansion
  71. Mar 23, 2013
    A very smooth, addictive and fun strategy game. The game is extremely well made and you can easily lose hours. You don't have to be a history buff to appreciate this, although it does add to the games charm.
  72. Jun 4, 2013
    Many will notice that the "PC Gaming Master Race" has collectively turned up their nose at Civ V. Long gone are the stacks of death, replaced by the strategic combat system found in the Panzer General series. This is a HUGE upgrade to the series. Yes the hardcore fans will be alienated and while that's a shame this game is still as ridiculously addictive as its' predecessors and much moreMany will notice that the "PC Gaming Master Race" has collectively turned up their nose at Civ V. Long gone are the stacks of death, replaced by the strategic combat system found in the Panzer General series. This is a HUGE upgrade to the series. Yes the hardcore fans will be alienated and while that's a shame this game is still as ridiculously addictive as its' predecessors and much more user friendly. The micro-management isn't nearly as daunting, and while the AI at times borders on mentally handicapped (especially concerning Diplomacy) this game is a ridiculous time dump. Straategy PC gamers looking to get their feet wet need to get Civ V, and be prepared to be devoid of a social life. Expand
  73. Feb 10, 2014
    I would make a short, snappy, funny review, yet it needs to be 150 characters long, so I'll just fill it up with nonsense. qijnfkongfangfj;naf;jnal;jfn;aljfn;ljafnajf'o[iqwjhvfio'jhq3woithq[0t0[qhfo[uihqofhq;ofhaqhf;oiaushf;iuabhsf;iuahwfi;uahfi;uahfihbafjhaifbaoifioauhfiafhiauf. THERE WE GO! This is the best game I ever played. 7.

-IGN
  74. Apr 26, 2013
    If you want to buy this game its about an 8 I think standalone but with Gods and Kings Id say its a 10 it fixes almost all its problems and I've played way more gods and kings than vanilla Civ 5.
  75. Jun 15, 2013
    I see a lot of people complaining that this game isn't what they expected based on older Civ games. I've never played any of the older ones, so I didn't know what to expect, but I know that this game is amazing. It is addicting, fun to play with friends, and a great overall strategy game. There is a lot to manage, and happiness is an issue, but if you take time and learn how to play itI see a lot of people complaining that this game isn't what they expected based on older Civ games. I've never played any of the older ones, so I didn't know what to expect, but I know that this game is amazing. It is addicting, fun to play with friends, and a great overall strategy game. There is a lot to manage, and happiness is an issue, but if you take time and learn how to play it shouldn't be a problem.

I gave it a 9 because there are still some issues to be worked out, like Multiplayer mods as well as city-states being almost completely useless.
  76. Jun 13, 2013
    I have to admit... I haven't touched civilization in a long, long time.

I am old enough to have played the first iteration...and the board game. I stumbled, accidentally, across the Gold pack on steam for less than ten bucks and figured 'why the heck not'. Urgh. Mistake. One looong night later, the alarm clock went down WAY too early for my taste, because time flew by at my computer
    I have to admit... I haven't touched civilization in a long, long time.

Urgh. Mistake. One looong night later, the alarm clock went down WAY too early for my taste, because time flew by at my computer into the wee hours of the morning.

The game is fun. A lot,. Even when you finished it, you can go at it straight away again. Addictive is the right choice of words here. It needs a timer that forces you to save and quit...or...something. A good wife dragging you away from your computer also works
  77. Jun 16, 2013
    I love this game, I started off on civ when I illegally downloaded civ 2 and loved it so much I got my parents to buy it.. I bought civ 3, 4, and 5 too as quick as possible. Civ vets are obviously going to notice a big loss in micro control over tons of different aspects of the game, it's much more simple then the past... kind of sucks in a way, I do miss the control.. but I dig the easeI love this game, I started off on civ when I illegally downloaded civ 2 and loved it so much I got my parents to buy it.. I bought civ 3, 4, and 5 too as quick as possible. Civ vets are obviously going to notice a big loss in micro control over tons of different aspects of the game, it's much more simple then the past... kind of sucks in a way, I do miss the control.. but I dig the ease of learning it new, I've been able to get more people planning it then the older ones, because everyone was just too scared.. I love the combat with non stackables, thats one reason the AI was so good in the old, it's a computer and can manage 100 units on one tile better then a human, graphics are gorgeous.. I will add I didn't like they left the spys and UN voting concept out for DLC, kind of felt cheated on that a little, but the game is still a great game, it's like a new flavor of the old, battles are more enjoyably, and the key concepts of tech, culture, and diplomacy are great.. The best thing that makes this game for me is the multiplayer, I play on the LAN with multiple friends, (Noobies and vets, since it's more friendly for noobs now) and I have a blast, we can play marathon for weeks and have so much fun with diplomacy and allying up with friends against other friends. PS 60 dollars is a lot, catch a deal at steam, I got two more copys for friends on steam this weekend for 13 dollars each!! (that was with all DLC EXCEPT the brave new world DLC coming next month)hope this helps one person at least Expand
  78. Jun 18, 2013
    I love this game. I bought it on steam so it's easy to mod and I found the gods and kings expansion a real improvement over vanilla (where I would often run out of luxury resources and my people would be pissed at me). My beef with this game is that I find the map types really limiting. I would like to see more creativity in the map designs and then maybe I will stop playing on fourI love this game. I bought it on steam so it's easy to mod and I found the gods and kings expansion a real improvement over vanilla (where I would often run out of luxury resources and my people would be pissed at me). My beef with this game is that I find the map types really limiting. I would like to see more creativity in the map designs and then maybe I will stop playing on four corners, continents, and pangea. All in all, this was my first Civ game and I really enjoyed the simplicity of the user interface and the complexity of figuring out how to do well in this game. I would recommend this game to others. Expand
  79. Jul 20, 2013
    [Quick Infomation]: I'm completely new to the Civilization V series, but this title is one you should consider picking up! The game is about you taking control of a civilization. For example China. You can choose to start in the ancient age all up till the information age. You can also choose to spawn in the real world or a random map, or just build a map!

[Gameplay]: The gameplay is

[Gameplay]: The gameplay is turn based. You do what ever you want to do in a turn. Press "Next Turn" and the AI (or if Multiplayer a human) does what ever they want. You can choose different kinds of game speeds. Quick, Standard, Epic & Marathon. The difference between the game speeds is how long Research, Production & Grow takes. But movement of units ISN'T slowed. The maps is made of Hex's. It opens up for lots of tactical opportunities.

[Gameplay Time]: If you start from the ancient era, and with quick speed. You can easily expect a few hours. Unless you rush your enemies. A marathon can take multiple days. But over the course of multiple days you can get tired with your Civilization. So I do not recommend playing at this speed. I normally take Epic to have a acceptable science speed. and so I have time to explore in a good time. But Marathon is just to boring since there isn't much to do while you wait for the cities to finish production. In the course of 2 weeks I've already played around 100 hours. Only a few games can keep my attention so strong and I'm still playing!

[Community]: The game features mod support. The mods are in the Main Menu. Just click on the and connect to steam workshop and there are already many mods for you to use even more time on the game!

[Multiplayer]: The multiplayer is not tagged on. It has a great multiplayer. It is pretty much just like Single player but just with humans! But the turns takes some time late game. You can actually turn something called "Pitboss" on. This will do so that every time it's your turn in Multiplayer it can either e-mail you or send you a steam invite. While you do other stuff! But I like the Single player more since there isn't that waiting time. But one quite annoying thing that can't really be fixed is that there will always be a good one in a game. If you are the good one, it will really decrease the other players morale... If they have a bad time they will properly quit or just be kind of sad/mad at you (friends) So this game is best at it's Single player.

[Final Score]: 9/10
  80. Aug 16, 2013
    All if the problem I see in any review are either fixed in options or are fixed through mods. Which don't only fix the problems but make it more fun in SO many ways! Miss the Civ IV diplomacy? There's a mod. Not enough maps? There are hundreds of mods. Not enough Civs. Hundreds of mods from historical civilizations to civs based on other video games like Mass Effect, Elder Scrolls, etc.All if the problem I see in any review are either fixed in options or are fixed through mods. Which don't only fix the problems but make it more fun in SO many ways! Miss the Civ IV diplomacy? There's a mod. Not enough maps? There are hundreds of mods. Not enough Civs. Hundreds of mods from historical civilizations to civs based on other video games like Mass Effect, Elder Scrolls, etc. Not to mention the fact that all the mods are on the Steam Workshop!!! So they're easier to get than the friggin GAME! Another thing to add that is VERY IMPORTANT. The DLC is nearly REQUIRED to make the game really fun. You need Gods and Kings to use most mods and adds SPIES and BNW adds things like the World Congress (mini UN) and makes the cultural victory a little harder and more interesting by adding things like great artists, writers, and musicians. I found the names of famous x for great x's very adorable and cool. I have played this game for hundreds of hours and I have never lost interest. My favorite era to start in is the classical era. Because you have to wait FOREVER in the ancient era for workers to do ANYTHING except build farms. Just a suggestion. :P But in all honesty the game isn't as bad as everyone says. It's probably the easiest Civ to get into the series... And even if it isn't as "good" as the others it's still a hell of a lot of fun! I have also noticed the addition of HEXES to be a lot better than squares. In the end I feel this game deserves a 10/10 and I suggest this to EVERYONE!!! Final note: This game isn't an action packed shooter. It is a strategy game so don't expect every second to be action packed. It's a game that requires patience and thought(especially on the longer game times). No campaign, no bullcrud. Just strategy. And hopefully that's your thing!!! Expand
  81. Sep 6, 2013
    A Master piece, Civ 5 is both beautiful and complex in a good way that is fun to play and very addictive, there are tons of options and mods to suit your style (diplomacy, war, tech, etc) a very nice addition to the franchise. A must have for turn-based strategy lovers.
  82. Jun 22, 2014
    Civilization V is one of those rare games that takes a time tested and well liked system, changes it, and manages to create something even better than it had before. The new hex grid setup provides new ways to move and build, the change to unit stackability makes defending and attacking territory much more strategic, and the new additions that come along with the DLC make the whole gameCivilization V is one of those rare games that takes a time tested and well liked system, changes it, and manages to create something even better than it had before. The new hex grid setup provides new ways to move and build, the change to unit stackability makes defending and attacking territory much more strategic, and the new additions that come along with the DLC make the whole game more fun, and really make you want to take that one more turn.

It seems that most of the negative user reviews for this game either deal with release bugs, fanboys **** about the changes, or a "lack of content" in number of Civs, City States, Tech Tree, etc. There are plenty of Civs in the base game, and what with the fantastic DLC and the Steam modding community, you can expand to a huge number of playable Civs, many times more than Civ IV.

The bottom line is that while maybe on the release date, Civ V was a 7.7 because of release bugs, now, in 2014, with player content and two great DLCs, Civ V should easily be a 9 or even a 10
  83. Aug 5, 2013
    Best strategy game I've ever played. The game play is so complete. You'll rarely find a game that much complete. There's still some little annoying things like the on-line. Getting an on-line server is way too long. When you're in game..it's lagging frequently but you can have fun even with these lag. The rest is awesome.
  84. Aug 4, 2013
    Best Civ yet. There are some negatives with the game but with the recent release of Brave New World the end game is terrific. No unit stacking causes you to place your units more strategically. The World Congress/United Nations brings an excellent end game experience and great new ways to influence the game. One of my biggest complaints was how missiles work in the game with no way toBest Civ yet. There are some negatives with the game but with the recent release of Brave New World the end game is terrific. No unit stacking causes you to place your units more strategically. The World Congress/United Nations brings an excellent end game experience and great new ways to influence the game. One of my biggest complaints was how missiles work in the game with no way to defend against them other than by keeping your distance and using your own missiles to guess where the computer has his and blowing their city up. Limited moves for nukes suck. The AI has been fixed a good bit with the latest patches. All in All this game is fantastic and if you didnt like it when it first came out you will definately like it now. One last thing and its the biggest for me is multiplayer. Its still missing the single player features like leader animations, wonder animations and so on. For those who like to play vs the computer with friends thats a real bummer. Still a 10/10. Expand
  85. Jan 23, 2014
    Civilization V is an excellent strategy title that will keep you coming back for more, it can be tedious at times, it will be well worth the 30 to 90 dollars you spend on it. The game is best with the brave new world expansion, which greatly increases options and makes diplomacy and culture more viable and interesting victory options, but the base game is fine

GRAPHICS/SOUND If your

GRAPHICS/SOUND
    If your computer can handle the game maxed out, it looks better than a lot of the games currently on the market. Textures look very crisp and the animations are great. The game does not run very well on my computer due to the high amount of processing power it requires, but it still looks great. The Sounds are also fantastic, from swordplay to futuristic robots, it all sounds like it came out of a high quality movie. The music, especially the war themes and BNWs main menu theme are STUNNING! Each civilization's themes sound original and unique to them, and them alone.

Gameplay
    The level of strategy in the gameplay, even though the attractive ui and user friendliness wouldn't show it. is quite high. The combat has all sorts of modifiers that turns it from a larger army contest into a game of positioning. You do not have to fight though, if you have vanilla it's a lot more fun to just destroy everything than to just grind policy trees or sciences, but brave new world changes that. If you have Brave new world, well, it gives you a brave new world of civilization V, culture turns from policy trees into a game of trading and build the correct structures. The diplomacy victory has you struggling to make friends, but to make friends, you must make enemies. Diplomacy can lead to wars if you aren't careful with the acts you try to push, so watch out.

Value
    Civ V certainly has the best value out of any game i have played. Hundreds of hours in. you'll still want more.

Verdict
    Civilization V is a fantastic game
  86. Oct 15, 2013
    This game is the most addicting game I have ever played. While I have only played Civilization IV and this one, I can say that Civilization V is fantastic. Managing an entire empire is extremely fun to do. this game is also very visually appealing. My biggest concern with it was that everyone seems to hate you because you settle land that nobody owns, but the leaders "consider it theirs."This game is the most addicting game I have ever played. While I have only played Civilization IV and this one, I can say that Civilization V is fantastic. Managing an entire empire is extremely fun to do. this game is also very visually appealing. My biggest concern with it was that everyone seems to hate you because you settle land that nobody owns, but the leaders "consider it theirs." Also passed about 500 turns, the game can get glitchy no matter what computer I play it on. Expand
  87. Dec 26, 2015
    Civilization V is probably one of the best turn based strategy games I've played. If you don't have it you should probably pick it up, especially since it's pretty cheap on sales. Every minute you play you'll have fun and it's pretty addicting (maybe too addicting) with a "one-more-turn" eventually turning into a hundred more turns. Mods greatly enhance the fun and diversity of this gameCivilization V is probably one of the best turn based strategy games I've played. If you don't have it you should probably pick it up, especially since it's pretty cheap on sales. Every minute you play you'll have fun and it's pretty addicting (maybe too addicting) with a "one-more-turn" eventually turning into a hundred more turns. Mods greatly enhance the fun and diversity of this game but none are necessary as base-game is just as good. Every match you play will be different in some way. The only downfall to this is that it takes up a lot of time in the sense of research, expanding, exploring etc. Some single matches can last up to a month, so if you don't really have much patience it may not be the best experiance, you can make the game go faster but even then it still can drag on up to a month.

Highly Recommended.
  88. Sep 7, 2013
    I found that Civilization V is a perfect game for anyone getting into the franchise or for long experience Civilization players, it is a great game to play for several days at a time with friends, or a quick game when you have the time. The only complaint I have is that the diplomacy factor in this game is a bit limited with very little options and Civilizations often attack you or demandI found that Civilization V is a perfect game for anyone getting into the franchise or for long experience Civilization players, it is a great game to play for several days at a time with friends, or a quick game when you have the time. The only complaint I have is that the diplomacy factor in this game is a bit limited with very little options and Civilizations often attack you or demand land/resources for an unknown reason. Overall a very good game especially when played with a group of friends. Expand
  89. Mar 24, 2015
    I enjoy playing this games, though it does get on my nerves quite a lot. That one wonder you really want to build, and have spent x amount of turns building... yeah, some AI will build it one turn before you finish building it. It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't key to my success and I'd rushed it, but oh well.

Also, the not being able to stack Units to create armies can get very

Also, the not being able to stack Units to create armies can get very annoying. I preferred the Combat in Civ IV where you could stack units, whack a great General on top, activate its ability and boom, everyone gains experience. Now your Great General has a tendency to take the most dangerous route possible if you don't manually direct him every step of the way. Not very "great" if you ask me.

I have the two expansions and they really did make the game deeper. overall, i suggest getting the game, however be prepared for frustration, annoyance and anger, but also joy, relief and celebration.

p.s. there is a bug that when ever i get to around 1000 AD the game crashes. Every time. So make sure you save... often...
  90. Feb 24, 2015
    Civilization 5 is responsible for me going to sleep at 5am on numerous occasions. This game is highly addictive, and endlessly fun to play. Each of world leaders have their own personalities, and methods of victory, Such as Shaka for domination, Babylon for Science, and France for culture. It is far more enjoyable however to cause chaos and war, and of course nukes. The AI is smart atCivilization 5 is responsible for me going to sleep at 5am on numerous occasions. This game is highly addictive, and endlessly fun to play. Each of world leaders have their own personalities, and methods of victory, Such as Shaka for domination, Babylon for Science, and France for culture. It is far more enjoyable however to cause chaos and war, and of course nukes. The AI is smart at higher difficulties and may backstab you, or just attack your empire while it's weak. This game will have you forget about the time, which as stated previously can make you stay up all night. The game also supports mods, so you can get more entertainment out of that.
    My main major complaint against this game is the Multiplayer. Laggy, with no unit-animations, Which makes it completely boring. The AI also are unwilling to make a fair trade with you late game, and often when you have a large military it gets annoying to command 30+ units each turn.
    This game is definitely worth its cost. Civilization 5 will consume all your time, your social life, and your soul.
  91. Nov 29, 2013
    Although it did get rid of some of the best things that made Civ4 really good, it still had better graphics with a somewhat decent gameplay. But if you are a heavy Civ fan, then this may not be the best one for you.
  92. Sep 29, 2013
    I nice strategy game, can be frustrating sometimes. Even if it is frustrating at points it is a good game, but i have to admit, sometimes the unloaded terrain causes some lag.
  93. Oct 9, 2013
    Truly an exceptional strategy game. Many reviews of strategy games are done by very skilled players of the genre, the type who enjoy trying to conquer the game on the hardest difficulty. They often have quarrels with the games in the not hard enough AI, or some technical issues. But I am the opposite of that; my skills are unimpressive, yet I still found this game immensely enjoyable. NewTruly an exceptional strategy game. Many reviews of strategy games are done by very skilled players of the genre, the type who enjoy trying to conquer the game on the hardest difficulty. They often have quarrels with the games in the not hard enough AI, or some technical issues. But I am the opposite of that; my skills are unimpressive, yet I still found this game immensely enjoyable. New to the genre? Very little skill? Wanting to not have to think that hard but still play a decent game? Civilization V ticks all those boxes and though undoubtedly different from the older Civilizations and some people's expectations, it still excels as a strategy game for gamers on both ends of the skill spectrum. It is truly a great game that you will not regret buying at all. Expand
  94. Oct 14, 2013
    I enjoyed this game to hell and I still enjoy it now.

This game is a new adventure every time you play it and it gives it a major replay value. I had a ton of fun with this game and the DLC's are worth it to, you will have tons of fun crushing enemy empires or becoming a culture, science or diplomacy based empire. If you love turn based strategy games or just love strategy games
    I enjoyed this game to hell and I still enjoy it now.

If you love turn based strategy games or just love strategy games at all this is a must get!

(Except planes are really god damn cheap).
  95. Oct 16, 2013
    Civilization remains the ultimate pinnacle of the turn based strategy genre. This title introduced some significant changes from earlier civ incarnations, such as a hex-grid and no unit stacking. I believe this caused some lower user reviews amongst players who dislike change. However, I believe the combat tactics were only improved by this, on top of the overall rock-solid strategy andCivilization remains the ultimate pinnacle of the turn based strategy genre. This title introduced some significant changes from earlier civ incarnations, such as a hex-grid and no unit stacking. I believe this caused some lower user reviews amongst players who dislike change. However, I believe the combat tactics were only improved by this, on top of the overall rock-solid strategy and city building aspects of the game. Expand
  96. Oct 16, 2013
    I've always been a fan of the Civilization series and in my mind, this is the best in the series. I think that the new game mechanics are for the best. This is a great game and is extremely addicting. I love this game, and I hope you do too.
  97. Jan 6, 2014
    I'm no gamer but the fact that this game has me in a headlock definitely is noteworthy. It's so in depth and fun to play. The way it's set up makes it hard to grow tired of.
  98. Nov 12, 2013
    Being my first Sid Meier's and Civilization game, I love it. I original never liked the lead because I never liked turn based games. This game is very time consuming.

The only reason it's getting a 9 and not a 10 from me is, imo, it's missing some major civs to play as. (Canada anyone?)
  99. Nov 30, 2013
    As my first turn-based strategy game (other than Chess), Civ 5 provided an excellent and fun experience. It took some time to learn the game, and I had some serious moments where I sat there thinking "what the hell is going on?" but it was actually fun to be stumped. If this is your first Civ, then you will feel amazing every time you take over a city, no matter the difficulty level. TheAs my first turn-based strategy game (other than Chess), Civ 5 provided an excellent and fun experience. It took some time to learn the game, and I had some serious moments where I sat there thinking "what the hell is going on?" but it was actually fun to be stumped. If this is your first Civ, then you will feel amazing every time you take over a city, no matter the difficulty level. The tutorial is pretty terrible, and it does not help one understand the game at all, so I recommend you just jump in there in a real game against 1 AI on Warlord to learn the ropes. After you've practiced enough and can assure yourself you won't inadvertently destroy your own civilization, jump in another game with 3 AIs on either Warlord or Prince. Practice makes perfect in this game. I have over 700 hours on this game, and my friends and I love it. Religion, Espionage, and a souped up Diplomacy and Culture are all included in expansions, by the way. Expand

1. Apr 3, 2011
    Despite my gripe with the animations in multiplayer, Civilization V is the perfect entry for the series' debut in the current generation of gaming.
  2. games(TM)
    Jan 20, 2011
    We're just a little bit disappointed that this Civ evolution isn't as polished as we'd expected. [Issue#102, p.108]
  3. Jan 15, 2011
    An old franchise that knows who to evolve to adapt to modern times. Its latest new ideas might not be perfect, but serve the purpose of making the game even more interesting.